365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

5 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 4 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 pm

I'm running out of days to ditch this cold!  Nights are rough.  I'm congested and cough.  About an hour after I get up I open up and feel pretty good.  Runs have been quite good but I know I'm not 100%.  By mid-afternoon I start to fade and then when I lay down in bed the congestion returns.  Ugh.  Oh well, I still have a few more days...race is Saturday...and I can run reasonably well even with the cold.  It won't be a great test but it will have to do.

Predicted high 90.  Low of 51.  Race starts at 8:00 so I'll finish shortly after 10:00.  Should be in the low 60s but not terrible.

Goal is 2:07-2:08...or at least it was before this cold.  I'm still going to shoot for that but it may be out of my reach.  The first 10 miles are slightly downhill but the last 3 all have some ascent...not terrible but enough to be a factor.  I picked this race because it is so similar to CIM.  Shuttle to the start.  Net downhill but a challenging finish.  When I looked at the elevation chart my first thought was..."why did I think this was a good idea"   Shocked Laughing

Runs have been taper runs but I had some nice 1:00 pickups on Tuesday and had to hold back to stay in the paces Melissa wanted so that was a good sign.  I'm excited to race but I do wish this cold would clear up.  

Off to do my stretching and rolling...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 4 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  ounce Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:45 am

nkrichards wrote:I'm running out of days to ditch this cold!  Nights are rough.  I'm congested and cough.  About an hour after I get up I open up and feel pretty good.  Runs have been quite good but I know I'm not 100%.  By mid-afternoon I start to fade and then when I lay down in bed the congestion returns.  Ugh.  Oh well, I still have a few more days...race is Saturday...and I can run reasonably well even with the cold.  It won't be a great test but it will have to do.

Predicted high 90.  Low of 51.  Race starts at 8:00 so I'll finish shortly after 10:00.  Should be in the low 60s but not terrible.

Goal is 2:07-2:08...or at least it was before this cold.  I'm still going to shoot for that but it may be out of my reach.  The first 10 miles are slightly downhill but the last 3 all have some ascent...not terrible but enough to be a factor.  I picked this race because it is so similar to CIM.  Shuttle to the start.  Net downhill but a challenging finish.  When I looked at the elevation chart my first thought was..."why did I think this was a good idea"   Shocked Laughing

Runs have been taper runs but I had some nice 1:00 pickups on Tuesday and had to hold back to stay in the paces Melissa wanted so that was a good sign.  I'm excited to race but I do wish this cold would clear up.  

Of all of the areas a cold could attack me for a race (which never has happened, so I'll substitute a long or longish run), breathing related symptoms are my preference to a sinus cavity congestion or stuffy head because it's a breathing treatment for the whole run.  I do have a post-nasal drip thing that goes on during pretty much any run and race, where I just do a snot rocket and do my best to not make contact with anyone.  If I have a stuffy nose when I wake up, I know I can clear that out within the first half mile on a regular, alone run.

Hopefully, you'll have a bunch of clouds to keep the heat at bay until the clouds burn off.  But I seem to remember y'all having what is called in meteorology as a Rex Block.  https://www.yahoo.com/now/rex-block-stubborn-pattern-creating-215527968.html  So, clouds are on vacation.

I look forward to knowing if the elevation chart and actual made the race a 'good idea.'  

So, what's left for you to be at 100%?  Good luck on Saturday!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I'm running out of days to ditch this cold!  Nights are rough.  I'm congested and cough.  About an hour after I get up I open up and feel pretty good.  Runs have been quite good but I know I'm not 100%.  By mid-afternoon I start to fade and then when I lay down in bed the congestion returns.  Ugh.  Oh well, I still have a few more days...race is Saturday...and I can run reasonably well even with the cold.  It won't be a great test but it will have to do.

Of all of the areas a cold could attack me for a race (which never has happened, so I'll substitute a long or longish run), breathing related symptoms are my preference to a sinus cavity congestion or stuffy head because it's a breathing treatment for the whole run.  I do have a post-nasal drip thing that goes on during pretty much any run and race, where I just do a snot rocket and do my best to not make contact with anyone.  If I have a stuffy nose when I wake up, I know I can clear that out within the first half mile on a regular, alone run.

Hopefully, you'll have a bunch of clouds to keep the heat at bay until the clouds burn off.  But I seem to remember y'all having what is called in meteorology as a Rex Block.  https://www.yahoo.com/now/rex-block-stubborn-pattern-creating-215527968.html  So, clouds are on vacation.

I look forward to knowing if the elevation chart and actual made the race a 'good idea.'  

So, what's left for you to be at 100%?  Good luck on Saturday!
My nose runs constantly no matter what the weather.  That is what shirts are for.  

Congestion wasn't as bad last night but I do still have some symptoms.  I'll manage.  It seems to be better in the mid-morning and running helps clear it a bit.  

I've never heard of a Rex Block.   Predicted 51 at the start and 65 at the finish.  It will be warm but manageable.  

Drove down today...4 hour drive.  I stopped for an errand and also for lunch which broke up the drive a bit but they were both relatively early in the drive.  The plan was to do my shakeout run after I arrived so I could loosen up the legs after sitting so long.  We didn't think about the temperature.  It was in the upper 80s.  I kept it short and kept the effort easy.  It did feel good to stretch and move after the drive.  Checked in to my B and B.  Walked to a nice Italian restaurant and enjoyed some seafood pasta.  Walked a bit further to pick up my race packet and confirm the location of the shuttle bus in the morning.  Walked back.  All organized and good to go in the morning.  I'll finish my tea...actually just lemon and ginger...not real tea.  Then I'll make it an early night.

Training has gone well and I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at.  100% would be if I woke up in the morning with zero cold symptoms.  That isn't going to happen so I'll just have to give 110% effort to make up for it.  I'm excited to see what I can do.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:31 pm

Rogue Half 2:05:24 (Goal was 2:07-2:08)
1/3 AG
47/106 Female
94/177 Overall

I just copied the email to coach Melissa for my race report...

I’m absolutely stoked about my time…and my ability to hold on and push hard in those last miles.  I was on the verge of giving up…slowing not stopping…several times.  The challenge to pass others during those last miles kept me engaged and then during the last mile a young man who I chatted with earlier in the race caught up and insisted we finish together.  I thought the finish line would never come!  I’ll admit I was in panic mode when my mind clicked back on, and I realized how many miles I had left after my pre-mature increase in pace.  Visions of my CIM finish were flashing through my mind.  I was afraid I had seriously messed up. 

So here was my pacing plan which I put on a homemade pacing band…and my actual paces.
[list=margin-top:0in][*]9:50-9:50              9:47-9:47
[*]9:48-19:38           9:47-19:34
[*]9:47-29:25           9:46-29:20
[*]9:46-39:11           9:43-39:03
[*]9:45-48:56           9:41-48:44
[*]9:44-58:40           9:41-58:24
[*]9:44-1:08:24        9:39-1:08:03
[*]9:44-1:18:08        9:40-1:17:43
[*]9:44-1:27:52        9:25-1:27:08
[*]9:44-1:37:36        9:25-1:36:33
[*]9:40-1:47:16        9:26-1:45:59
[*]9:35-1:56:51        9:19-1:55:18
[*]9:30-2:06:21        8:55-2:04:13
[*]???                         @8:04-2:05:24
[/list]

The race…
My drive and shakeout run went well.  It was hot by the time I geared up for my shakeout, so I intentionally kept it easy and short, but it felt good.  I then drove to my BnB and checked in.  After checking in I walked to dinner and enjoyed a nice seafood pasta before walking over to get my packet and confirm the location of the shuttles in the morning.  The location of the BnB was perfect as the walk was less than a mile.  I had my usual cup of lemon ginger “tea” before bed and settled in for an early night.

Race morning was cooler than predicted. 😊  There was a bit of wildfire smoke, but it wasn’t bad.  I fixed my coffee and breakfast and got through my morning race prep with plenty of time to walk to the shuttle.  It was dark and cold, but I was pleased that it was cool.  I chatted as we waited for the shuttle and had a nice conversation with another runner on the bus.  She was overcoming significant challenges.  I was disappointed I didn’t see her again during or after the race.  I was lucky to get in and out of the port-a-potty in time to get my warmup in before the race start.  I felt a bit stiff so was glad I had time to loosen up a bit.  I chatted with the 2:15 pacer and she reminded me to start easy!  I took a GU with water before we headed off.

We were off and the first little bit was a significant downhill before we hit the multi-use trail.  I struggled to settle in but felt good with where I was at for the first 2-3 miles.  I made a point to sip on the bottle I was carrying.  The path was wide and paved.  It wasn’t crowded and conditions were good.  The view wasn’t great as it paralleled the freeway, but it was separate and safe.  I was in a good place.

I soon got sucked into a small group that was going slightly faster than the pace I desired.  I was aware but didn’t back off…it didn’t seem significantly faster than my goal pace.  A cute young man and I had taken turns passing each other and we finally started a conversation.  He was from a family of Boston runners but had only been running himself for just over a year.  During that time, he lost 80 lbs.  This was his first half…his longest training run had been 12 miles.  As we got into mile 7, I became concerned that I was going to get myself in trouble if I wasn’t careful.  I let him know I was going to back off and he commented that he’d see me later in the race.  I didn’t think I’d see him again.  I finished up my bottle and discarded it.

I took a GU around mile 8 and walked through the aid station to get water.  I was concerned but comfortable with where I was.  Then conditions changed.  As we got closer to town we started going over and under the roadways.  I lost confidence in the Garmin paces and there were some tough short up/downs.  I think this is where my brain clicked off and I went into finish mode.  I guess it just seemed like if we were close to town the finish was close as well.  And then the course also got more congested.  We transitioned into an out and back section, so we had runners in both directions as well as casual runners/walkers/cyclists/skateboarders/strollers.  I think I panicked a bit.  I was uncomfortable with my mile 9 pace and even more uncomfortable that mile 10 was just as fast.  It was starting to feel hard, and I realized I still had 3 miles to go!!

I was committed at that point and just decided to try to hang on to that pace as long as I could.  I was expecting a huge wall to appear shortly. I didn’t feel like taking another GU but knew I should, so I did so at around mile 11.   I was starting to pass a lot of runners which was encouraging, and I was able to concentrate on passing safely on the congested course.  That took my mind off the overwhelming thought of keeping that pace up for 3 miles and I was able to concentrate on shorter segments.  But I was struggling.

Boy, was I surprised when my cute young man (he’s younger than my kids lol) caught up with me during the last mile.  He had stopped for a bathroom break shortly after we split up.  He said he had been chasing my red shirt for the last mile or so.  He said “I told you we would see each other again.  Let’s finish this together.”   I indicated that I was struggling to hang on and told him to let me go.  He did but never got more than just a few steps ahead.  I hung on behind him and finally at about 12.75 miles I reined him in.  We did finish side by side.  I owe most of that last mile to him…especially the last half mile and the finishing stretch.

I lost him at the finish line.  I was struggling but was able to get some fuel and walk a bit.  I finally saw him and was able to thank him and congratulate him on his first half.  I wasn’t up to a cooldown run so decided the walk back to my BnB would have to do.  Shower, fuel, quick roll, and a long drive home followed.  I stopped several times to stretch my legs.  Stretch and roll before an early bedtime.

My congestion continues to improve.  My throat is killing me.  Not sure if it’s from my cold or possibly the smoke(?).  Hamstrings are tight this morning…especially the left but not terrible.  I may see if Mike is available for a massage next week.  I’m tired but not as sore as expected.  I won’t be surprised if the soreness arrives later today or tomorrow.

I have conflicting emotions.  I’m so excited about my time and my ability to hang on and push the pace as things got tough but…   I didn’t stick to my plan.  I got away with it in this race, but I don’t think I can survive such poor pacing in a marathon.  I’m actually afraid that because I was able to pull off such a good finish, I may be tempted to make the same mistake at CIM which would be disastrous.  I felt like I did a really good job of pacing at CIM last year and just ran out of fuel those last couple miles.  I think I have a good chance at meeting my 4:30 goal if I pace correctly and fuel well.  I’m so proud and so nervous!!

Hopefully I can settle into marathon pace over the next few weeks…  I’ll ease back into the easy running on my schedule and see how I’m feeling by mid-week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:56 pm

Great and detailed report.  Melissa probably expects it?

Gratz on the AG win!

I believe you'll manage your pace to your satisfaction for CIM.  I think you're scared enough to manage it, accurately.

As far as your throat, I will guess the drainage irritated your throat because your congestion thinned.  Hope you can arrange the massage.

Regarding your 4 hour drive.  No family members went with you?  They must not be concerned.  That must feel good...and it's only a 4 hour drive to a hospital.

Again, gratz!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:59 pm

ounce wrote:Great and detailed report.  Melissa probably expects it?

Gratz on the AG win!

I believe you'll manage your pace to your satisfaction for CIM.  I think you're scared enough to manage it, accurately.

As far as your throat, I will guess the drainage irritated your throat because your congestion thinned.  Hope you can arrange the massage.

Regarding your 4 hour drive.  No family members went with you?  They must not be concerned.  That must feel good...and it's only a 4 hour drive to a hospital.

Again, gratz!
Not sure what Melissa expects but I send it to her anyway.   Laughing  I primarily write it to put my thoughts together in a place where I can go back and read them later.  And I figure if I'm paying her it won't hurt her to take the time to read them.  Actually I do think that it helps her help me.

Boy do I hope you're right about my ability to pace CIM correctly!

Congestion is pretty much gone.  Cough and sore throat are still hanging on but are starting to improve.  So...this is a new one...at least I think it's a new one.  My ribs are really sore.  I don't ever remember sore ribs after a hard race.  Wondering if the cough was bad enough to cause the sore ribs??

So you notices that I drove myself to the race.  I'm asserting my independence.   Wink  Marty was a bit concerned but he's still irrigating so couldn't get away.  Katie would have gone if Marty or I requested it but I actually wanted the time to myself to concentrate on the task at hand.  I'm a big girl.  I make every effort to keep myself safe and refuse to hid for the rest of my life.

Thanks for reading...it was a long report.

Recovery effort today.  4 miles @11:23.  I felt surprisingly well.  A bit of overall body tiredness (and the sore ribs) but the legs while tired felt pretty good.  Just a tad of tightness in the left hamstring.  Cold is improving.  I'm looking forward to a couple more easy days and then jumping into marathon training.  Only 7 weeks  Shocked.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Great and detailed report.  Melissa probably expects it?

Gratz on the AG win!

Again, gratz!
Not sure what Melissa expects but I send it to her anyway.   Laughing  I primarily write it to put my thoughts together in a place where I can go back and read them later.  And I figure if I'm paying her it won't hurt her to take the time to read them.  Actually I do think that it helps her help me.

Boy do I hope you're right about my ability to pace CIM correctly!

Congestion is pretty much gone.  Cough and sore throat are still hanging on but are starting to improve.  So...this is a new one...at least I think it's a new one.  My ribs are really sore.  I don't ever remember sore ribs after a hard race.  Wondering if the cough was bad enough to cause the sore ribs??

So you notices that I drove myself to the race.  I'm asserting my independence.   Wink  Marty was a bit concerned but he's still irrigating so couldn't get away.  Katie would have gone if Marty or I requested it but I actually wanted the time to myself to concentrate on the task at hand.  I'm a big girl.  I make every effort to keep myself safe and refuse to hid for the rest of my life.

Thanks for reading...it was a long report.

Recovery effort today.  4 miles @11:23.  I felt surprisingly well.  A bit of overall body tiredness (and the sore ribs) but the legs while tired felt pretty good.  Just a tad of tightness in the left hamstring.  Cold is improving.  I'm looking forward to a couple more easy days and then jumping into marathon training.  Only 7 weeks  Shocked.
My thought on the ribs.  It's not the bone, rather a muscle, connective tissue, and blah, blah, blah that you caught a cough in a bad position and inflamed it.  Just a week or two.  Now, if you want to figure out if it's healing, then twist or get the sore spot in an uncomfortable position to see how much it hurts.  That's your benchmark.

As far as going solo, when you were always in the 1st person for eating was most of it.  Plus, you didn't mention the room being too small for two people.

As far as marathon pacing, had this been a marathon (BQ or not), then you wouldn't have chased the cute boy down.  He would've been a distraction.  At mile 24, he had no clue of what a marathon takes and you never would have seen the cute boy because he couldn't resist going out too fast, early.  Maybe someone else or keeping the 4:30 pace group behind you, as long as possible, hoping they weren't going for a 4:25.  You have your pace cheat sheet to rely on, too.

Rest up and make some beetles out of the hay baler, unless that wayyyy out of season.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:13 am

ounce wrote:

My thought on the ribs.  It's not the bone, rather a muscle, connective tissue, and blah, blah, blah that you caught a cough in a bad position and inflamed it.  Just a week or two.  Now, if you want to figure out if it's healing, then twist or get the sore spot in an uncomfortable position to see how much it hurts.  That's your benchmark.

As far as going solo, when you were always in the 1st person for eating was most of it.  Plus, you didn't mention the room being too small for two people.

As far as marathon pacing, had this been a marathon (BQ or not), then you wouldn't have chased the cute boy down.  He would've been a distraction.  At mile 24, he had no clue of what a marathon takes and you never would have seen the cute boy because he couldn't resist going out too fast, early.  Maybe someone else or keeping the 4:30 pace group behind you, as long as possible, hoping they weren't going for a 4:25.  You have your pace cheat sheet to rely on, too.

Rest up and make some beetles out of the hay baler, unless that wayyyy out of season.
Ribs are already feeling better.  It wasn't severe pain...more like DOMS.  Felt like I had done to many sit ups but the discomfort was higher up in the rib area rather than lower in the ab area.  I'm guessing that it was a combination of a hard effort and lots of coughing that wore the muscles out.

I had a cheat sheet for the half and didn't follow it.  Hopefully you're correct and I'm scared enough to stick to the plan at CIM.  My concern is that because I was able to squeak out an awesome half after failing to follow the plan that damn Fast Freddy will be right there encouraging me to push the pace and I'll give in...

All the equipment is put away.  We're finishing up the irrigating and will drain the pumps in the next day or two.  We do have some planting to do but Marty and I are trying to step back and let the next generation take over.  We want to have more time to play.  It's a tough transition after the farm has been our priority for so long.  Marty purchased a new horse and has been getting both the horse and himself ready for the annual elk hunting trip.  And...we have tickets to fly to Australia to visit my host Mum just days after CIM.

Easy effort 6 yesterday.  I snuck in a few strides just to see how the legs would respond.   Running Very Happy Very pleased with my race recovery!!
Rest day today.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:38 am

Still feeling pretty good about my recovery but I will admit that my run yesterday was a bit harder than I expected and I finished it with a few very minor niggles...nothing serious.  I don't think I'm fully recovered but well on the way.

My run was a 10 miler with the middle 6 being a MP progression run.
10 miles @ 10:38 HR 148/159 Cad 158
  • WU 2@11:24
  • 2@10:24 (Goal MP+:10 10:28)
  • 2@10:14 (Goal MP 10:18)
  • 2@ 9:58  (Goal MP-:10 10:08)
  • CD 2@11:13

So as you can see I hit/exceeded the goal paces but it did have to work at it.  I guess that's the whole point.  After my performance in the half on Saturday I guess I expected 6 miles at around MP to be a jog in the park.  It wasn't.  Proof in my opinion that there is some fatigue in the legs...and maybe just overall fatigue.

Easy 4 today as I allow my body to continue to recover.  I've intentionally postponed resuming strength training for a few days and have been concentrating on rolling and stretching instead.  It seems to help.

6 weeks to CIM  affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:05 pm

4 Weeks to CIM (plus 2 days)  affraid

Boy have we had the weather here.  Snow Tuesday and Wednesday.  24 degrees but dry this morning...with wind.  Tomorrow is warmer but WINDY and possibly wet.  I've been digging all my winter running gear out of the bottom of the drawer.  I've got lots of warm weather running under my belt this cycle.  I'm going to be prepared for just about anything on race day.  Except for maybe moisture...I don't have a lot of experience running while it's raining....but I wouldn't be surprised if I get to practice between now and race day.

This morning was interesting to say the least.  I waited for it to warm up a bit and eventually got dressed and fueled.  I had 8 easy miles on my schedule so didn't plan to take additional fuel.  Then I got a text indicating that someone had fallen from their horse and was life flighted from elk hunting camp.  Of course they have no service and I wasn't able to figure out who.  Eventually I found an online article and it appeared that the accident happened on Halloween...the day before Marty and his group left.  Finally got a message back that it was indeed another group of elk hunters and Marty and his hunting partners were all fine.  AND Mom has decided that she does in fact want to move to a care facility...NOW.  So my brothers and I are struggling to help accommodate that asap.  When I finally headed out the door it had warmed to a balmy wind chill of 30.  I was way overdressed...until I turned into the wind.  And the last couple miles I could tell I was running out of fuel.  My legs were starting to complain a bit.  But the run went okay and I learned a lot!  I guess that is what training is all about.

Ran a very nice 16 miler last week.  I hadn't slept well so was a bit nervous and started out pretty conservative but was able to finish at MP with an overall pace of 11:05.

I moved my Tuesday SOS run to Wed due to weather.  It was 3x2mi @ MP-10 (10:08)  My paces were 10:06, 10:02, 9:56.  An indication of good fitness and my lack of ability to find and hold MP.  I'm still worried I'm going to get myself into trouble on race day if I don't pace well.

Tomorrow is a step back long run of just 12 miles but it has 8x2:00 @ MP in the middle.  Hmm I wonder if Melissa thinks I need to work on actually hitting MP even for short durations.

Ultreya
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:4 Weeks to CIM (plus 2 days)  affraid

Boy have we had the weather here.  Snow Tuesday and Wednesday.  24 degrees but dry this morning...with wind.  Tomorrow is warmer but WINDY and possibly wet.  I've been digging all my winter running gear out of the bottom of the drawer.  I've got lots of warm weather running under my belt this cycle.  I'm going to be prepared for just about anything on race day.  Except for maybe moisture...I don't have a lot of experience running while it's raining....but I wouldn't be surprised if I get to practice between now and race day.

This morning was interesting to say the least.  I waited for it to warm up a bit and eventually got dressed and fueled.  I had 8 easy miles on my schedule so didn't plan to take additional fuel.  Then I got a text indicating that someone had fallen from their horse and was life flighted from elk hunting camp.  Of course they have no service and I wasn't able to figure out who.  Eventually I found an online article and it appeared that the accident happened on Halloween...the day before Marty and his group left.  Finally got a message back that it was indeed another group of elk hunters and Marty and his hunting partners were all fine.  AND Mom has decided that she does in fact want to move to a care facility...NOW.  So my brothers and I are struggling to help accommodate that asap.  When I finally headed out the door it had warmed to a balmy wind chill of 30.  I was way overdressed...until I turned into the wind.  And the last couple miles I could tell I was running out of fuel.  My legs were starting to complain a bit.  But the run went okay and I learned a lot!  I guess that is what training is all about.

Ran a very nice 16 miler last week.  I hadn't slept well so was a bit nervous and started out pretty conservative but was able to finish at MP with an overall pace of 11:05.

I moved my Tuesday SOS run to Wed due to weather.  It was 3x2mi @ MP-10 (10:08)  My paces were 10:06, 10:02, 9:56.  An indication of good fitness and my lack of ability to find and hold MP.  I'm still worried I'm going to get myself into trouble on race day if I don't pace well.

Tomorrow is a step back long run of just 12 miles but it has 8x2:00 @ MP in the middle.  Hmm I wonder if Melissa thinks I need to work on actually hitting MP even for short durations.

Ultreya
I had started a reply, this afternoon, with a 4 week to CIM, too.  But I went and took a nap.

I had noticed the weather up there was something awfully wintry and was glad I was down here.  You have been busy.  I was looking over your runs on Strava and surprised to see your 16 was around the same time as mine.

Regarding your mom, I have a close friend that was similar, but after her first placement, the mom returned home.  It was another few months until the mom decided it was time to go.  My friend said, "Oh, no, you're staying."  Another couple of months went by to the point that the mom was begging to go back to the home.  And all is right with the world.

I would not worry about pace, but I figure the previous 6 words didn't mean much.  So, I have 2 suggestions.  1)  On race day, race your training.  2)  Until then, print out your pace cheat sheets for each run for whatever Melissa wants you to run and practice following your cheat sheets.  You practice aid stations, so why not practice your cheat sheets?

Keep it up!  You'll be fine.

I'd be going to bed, now, but it's the bottom of the 7th and the Astros are up 2-1 in Philly in the 5th game of the World Series.  The Series is tied 2-2 and coming to Houston for Saturday and Sunday (if needed for the 7th game).  So, I'll probably stay up which may mess with my running, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:55 am

ounce wrote:

Ultreya
I had started a reply, this afternoon, with a 4 week to CIM, too.  But I went and took a nap.

I had noticed the weather up there was something awfully wintry and was glad I was down here.  You have been busy.  I was looking over your runs on Strava and surprised to see your 16 was around the same time as mine.

Regarding your mom, I have a close friend that was similar, but after her first placement, the mom returned home.  It was another few months until the mom decided it was time to go.  My friend said, "Oh, no, you're staying."  Another couple of months went by to the point that the mom was begging to go back to the home.  And all is right with the world.

I would not worry about pace, but I figure the previous 6 words didn't mean much.  So, I have 2 suggestions.  1)  On race day, race your training.  2)  Until then, print out your pace cheat sheets for each run for whatever Melissa wants you to run and practice following your cheat sheets.  You practice aid stations, so why not practice your cheat sheets?

I'd be going to bed, now, but it's the bottom of the 7th and the Astros are up 2-1 in Philly in the 5th game of the World Series.  The Series is tied 2-2 and coming to Houston for Saturday and Sunday (if needed for the 7th game).  So, I'll probably stay up which may mess with my running, tomorrow.
Warmer today...48...but winds are 20mph.  I'll wait till daylight and then drive to town to run around the sewer treatment plant.  The scenery isn't as bad as it sounds and it's got a bit of protection from the wind.

Mom is going willingly and we're keeping her house available just in case.

I do have a pace band for race day...I just need to make sure I follow it.  And practicing at MP between now and race day will help.  I guess that if I'm going to worry about something...which I am...then it's better to worry about running to fast than not having the ability to run fast enough.  As Melissa says...marathons are hard and that's why we run them.

I saw that the Astro's pulled off a win last night.  I probably won't stay up to watch the final game(s).  Enjoy.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:43 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Ultreya

Warmer today...48...but winds are 20mph.  I'll wait till daylight and then drive to town to run around the sewer treatment plant.  The scenery isn't as bad as it sounds and it's got a bit of protection from the wind.

Mom is going willingly and we're keeping her house available just in case.

I do have a pace band for race day...I just need to make sure I follow it.  And practicing at MP between now and race day will help.  I guess that if I'm going to worry about something...which I am...then it's better to worry about running to fast than not having the ability to run fast enough.  As Melissa says...marathons are hard and that's why we run them.

I saw that the Astro's pulled off a win last night.  I probably won't stay up to watch the final game(s).  Enjoy.
Almost balmy at 48 degrees.  Glad you added the sentence after the sewer treatment plant comment.   silent Laughing

About your pace band, let me put it this way.  I'll tan your hide if you don't follow it!  How's that?  

Keep plugging away.  You'll find your carrot to follow the pace band.

Take care.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 pm

I know I need to follow the pace band and behave myself.  I'm not known for behaving myself...and neither is Fast Freddy.  Hopefully your threat to tan my hid along with Melissa's disappointment will keep me in line on race day.

Today was a tough one.  I needed to do my normal Tuesday SOS run today as I need to spend the day with Mom tomorrow.  It was another long sleeves, gloves, hang on to your hat run.  Winds were brutal and picked up during the last couple intervals. Shocked  Main block of the run was 6x1k @MP-20 (9:58).  I planned my route so that the first half of the interval was a slight incline and into the wind and then turned around for the finish.  Had to dig for the splits but I got them.  9:57, 9:55, 9:54, 9:51, 9:52, 9:46  Good run.

I took some time off from my core/strength work to taper and then recover from the half.  I started back up a week or so ago with one day of upper body, one day of lower body and one or two days of PT.  I've been keeping the weights more at a maintenance level.  I did the upper body on Saturday and the lower body on Sunday.  Normally that works fine as Monday is an easy day.  But not this week!  No DOMS but boy could I feel the legs.  They were noticeably tired today.  I'm going to have to be careful not to overdo it.  Melissa is supportive of maintaining the strength I've built but suggests that I stop the last couple weeks.

Busy day tomorrow.  I don't like driving over the mountain in the snow.  Snow tires installed.  I'll leave early and hope that some idiot driver doesn't decide to slide into me.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:14 am

nkrichards wrote:I know I need to follow the pace band and behave myself.  I'm not known for behaving myself...and neither is Fast Freddy.  Hopefully your threat to tan my hid along with Melissa's disappointment will keep me in line on race day.

Today was a tough one.  I needed to do my normal Tuesday SOS run today as I need to spend the day with Mom tomorrow.  It was another long sleeves, gloves, hang on to your hat run.  Winds were brutal and picked up during the last couple intervals. Shocked  Main block of the run was 6x1k @MP-20 (9:58).  I planned my route so that the first half of the interval was a slight incline and into the wind and then turned around for the finish.  Had to dig for the splits but I got them.  9:57, 9:55, 9:54, 9:51, 9:52, 9:46  Good run.

I took some time off from my core/strength work to taper and then recover from the half.  I started back up a week or so ago with one day of upper body, one day of lower body and one or two days of PT.  I've been keeping the weights more at a maintenance level.  I did the upper body on Saturday and the lower body on Sunday.  Normally that works fine as Monday is an easy day.  But not this week!  No DOMS but boy could I feel the legs.  They were noticeably tired today.  I'm going to have to be careful not to overdo it.  Melissa is supportive of maintaining the strength I've built but suggests that I stop the last couple weeks.

Busy day tomorrow.  I don't like driving over the mountain in the snow.  Snow tires installed.  I'll leave early and hope that some idiot driver doesn't decide to slide into me.
Well, I would manage your pace up to the  distance where you think you can finish it with your hands tied behind your back.  For me, that's mile 23 or 24.  Nothing is a sure thing until then for me.

Your strength work is recoverable.  It's amazing to me how our legs, specifically the quads, carry us around.  But do something more than just walking around and the quads quickly let you know.  They evidently require a lot more deep healing and repair than we're aware of.

It's just TAPER MADNESS.  Nothing more.  Your mom is just adding a nuance to your madness.  Slide pretty!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:44 pm

Good run today.

15 mi w/2x5 mi @MP (10:18) and a rest mile in between was the plan...plus warmup and cooldown to make the 15 miles.  I wasn't confident I could execute and maybe that helped me execute well.  It was 32 degrees, overcast, and I saw a couple snow flakes.  But it didn't snow and the wind was light.  I was cold during the warmup but not terrible.  I like cold weather as long as it's not wet and windy.

So here are my intervals.
  • 1st 5 @10:17 (splits 10:21,10:19,10:14,10:19,10:14)
  • 2nd 5 @10:14 (splits 10:21,10,14,10:21,10:10,10:03)

The splits aren't super consistent but they align with the elevation change pretty well.  I'm especially proud of the first 5.  I stayed pretty close to MP +- a couple seconds.  I did get a bit carried away at the end of the 2nd 5 but I was so excited about how well I had run that I figured it was safe to practice my finish speed.  Laughing

Really good practice for race day.  It's tough to fuel with gloves and cold fingers.  Got it done pretty well.  I also got to practice removing and stowing my gloves and buff...and then practiced digging the gloves back out when the wind picked up.  My race shorts worked well for GU storage and for stowing my gloves and buff.  I didn't wear the shirt I'll wear on race day.  If it's cold I'm not sure how I'll adjust.  I like to race in a short sleeve shirt (plus removable sleeves if it's cold) but that may not be warm enough.  If I add a layer underneath then I can't remove it.  If I add a layer on top it will hide my bib.  I'm going to have to work on a good solution...

I'm pooped...and quite pleased.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 pm

Very quick update...I'll try to post more tomorrow but no promises.

Mom passed away early Friday.  I'm sad but happy that she is in a better place.  It was time and she was ready but it was still a shock.  She was scheduled to move into the care facility this week but apparently she was on her own schedule.  She passed at home unexpectedly without suffering.

I'm still planning on running CIM.  Running is the only time I have strictly for myself and I need it now more than ever.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:47 pm

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. Yes, definitely keep at the running. Running has helped me through grief and so many other things. I'm sorry I've been not very good about checking blogs here. Sounds like you had a really great half marathon in October. 

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I did find help from a nonprofit called Griefshare, not sure if you'd be interested but they do have daily emails as well as support groups.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:02 pm

Julie wrote:I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. Yes, definitely keep at the running. Running has helped me through grief and so many other things. I'm sorry I've been not very good about checking blogs here. Sounds like you had a really great half marathon in October. 

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I did find help from a nonprofit called Griefshare, not sure if you'd be interested but they do have daily emails as well as support groups.
Thanks Julie.  I do feel like it was a blessing and that it was time so that makes it easier.  

Finishing up marathon training (CIM Dec 4), planning for an extended overseas trip (Australia Dec 7-Jan 20), and then the added responsibilities of executor of Mom's estate have kept me more than busy.  I do wonder if when I finally board the plan for our trip those pent up emotions are going to spill out.  One of the main purposes of this trip is to spend some time with my host Mum in Australia.  Her health is also starting to fail.  Mom's passing has highlighted the importance of spending time with my host Mum.  

Okay.  Let's talk about marathon training.  Winter hit with a vengeance requiring me to tackle windy runs and even a couple with slick road conditions requiring the use of my shoes with screws in the soles for traction.  Then we would have a couple nice days...those days seemed to arrive on shorter, easy run days.  I was getting my runs done and things were going well.  Then, last Thursday we had freezing fog.  It was a solid sheet of ice and all the schools closed.  I had my last long (16 mile) run on my schedule.  I waited...and waited...and it did not thaw so I finally jumped on the treadmill for an easy 6.  I haven't been on the treadmill for nearly 2 years.  I hate it.  But I got it done.  Conditions weren't great on Friday but I planned to do the 16 after lunch.  Then I got the call that Mom had passed.  It was a tough day.  I finally decided that I needed to take some time for myself and the 16 mile run was the perfect opportunity.  So I laced up and headed out the door.  By the time I headed out the ice had melted and it was a nice run.  My head wasn't in the game and my mind wandered more than normal but I got it done.  I dialed back the pace a bit and didn't worry about a negative split.  Ended up with an overall pace of 11:19 and a very slight negative split.  My previous 16 miler had been @11:04 but coach Melissa cautioned me not to overdo this last one.  She was pleased with the pace.

Friday evening was the first in a series of 3 runs that Madras Runners had organized.  Friday was 1 mile under the lights at the track and then a speaker.  I attended...partly because I'm a board member but mostly because I welcomed the distraction.  The speaker was excellent...a native American from Arizona that is a good friend of Mario.  There were lots of young families in attendance even though it was sub-freezing.  I'm glad I went.  Saturday was a 2 mile road run.  Sunday was 3 miles on the trail.  I missed those as we had planned a trip to Sunriver with the grandkids to celebrate the holidays before our overseas trip.  We had already shortened the trip slightly and I'll admit I wasn't excited about doing it at all.  But I'm glad I did.  The kids were fantastic...7 of 8 grandkids ranging in age from the 3 year old twins to 18.  Izzy is in France.  We missed her.  We also included Katie's new extended family.  Her partner has two boys age 7&11.  We included them just for the evening.  Katie and Andy stayed to help supervise them and we swam, made butter, enjoyed homemade rolls and soup, and then dressed warm for an evening at the observatory.  We enjoyed waffles with huckleberry sauce for breakfast and did crafts and played games till checkout time.  I'm glad we didn't cancel.

Back to marathon training.  Taper has started so it's been a bit easier to fit my runs in.  I ran a nice 8.35 mile run w/6 @ MP (10:18) and even though it was windy and nasty ran a nice 10:15 pace.  I'm glad that I have running as my excuse to get up and leave the computer for a few minutes each day.  Emails and texts have been flying as we prepare for Mom's service and make plans to clean out her home.  She moved there when I was born in 1958.  Running has been and continues to be a welcome break.  We're planning a low key Thanksgiving dinner this evening.  My DIL stepped up and offered to host.  I'm just doing a couple of traditional family dishes to add to her meal.  And we'll use Mom's butter churn to make butter again.  Very Happy

Looks like it may be snowy during our drive to/from Sacramento.  Race day weather looks iffy but it could be worse.  Temps look good and winds aren't terrible but there is a chance of rain...not huge.  We'll see what happens and then deal with it won't we!  I'm to busy for taper madness.  

And life goes on...just as Mom would have liked.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:Very quick update...I'll try to post more tomorrow but no promises.

Mom passed away early Friday.  I'm sad but happy that she is in a better place.  It was time and she was ready but it was still a shock.  She was scheduled to move into the care facility this week but apparently she was on her own schedule.  She passed at home unexpectedly without suffering.

I'm still planning on running CIM.  Running is the only time I have strictly for myself and I need it now more than ever.
Sorry, Nancy.  She had always been there and now she's not.  It's a shock, but it'll probably shake out very nicely.  I'm glad you're going to run CIM.  I hope you're still going below the equator, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Julie wrote:I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. Yes, definitely keep at the running. Running has helped me through grief and so many other things. I'm sorry I've been not very good about checking blogs here. Sounds like you had a really great half marathon in October. 

Thanks Julie.  I do feel like it was a blessing and that it was time so that makes it easier.  

Finishing up marathon training (CIM Dec 4), planning for an extended overseas trip (Australia Dec 7-Jan 20), and then the added responsibilities of executor of Mom's estate have kept me more than busy.  I do wonder if when I finally board the plan for our trip those pent up emotions are going to spill out.  One of the main purposes of this trip is to spend some time with my host Mum in Australia.  Her health is also starting to fail.  Mom's passing has highlighted the importance of spending time with my host Mum.  

Okay.  Let's talk about marathon training.  Winter hit with a vengeance requiring me to tackle windy runs and even a couple with slick road conditions requiring the use of my shoes with screws in the soles for traction.  Then we would have a couple nice days...those days seemed to arrive on shorter, easy run days.  I was getting my runs done and things were going well.  Then, last Thursday we had freezing fog.  It was a solid sheet of ice and all the schools closed.  I had my last long (16 mile) run on my schedule.  I waited...and waited...and it did not thaw so I finally jumped on the treadmill for an easy 6.  I haven't been on the treadmill for nearly 2 years.  I hate it.  But I got it done.  Conditions weren't great on Friday but I planned to do the 16 after lunch.  Then I got the call that Mom had passed.  It was a tough day.  I finally decided that I needed to take some time for myself and the 16 mile run was the perfect opportunity.  So I laced up and headed out the door.  By the time I headed out the ice had melted and it was a nice run.  My head wasn't in the game and my mind wandered more than normal but I got it done.  I dialed back the pace a bit and didn't worry about a negative split.  Ended up with an overall pace of 11:19 and a very slight negative split.  My previous 16 miler had been @11:04 but coach Melissa cautioned me not to overdo this last one.  She was pleased with the pace.

Friday evening was the first in a series of 3 runs that Madras Runners had organized.  Friday was 1 mile under the lights at the track and then a speaker.  I attended...partly because I'm a board member but mostly because I welcomed the distraction.  The speaker was excellent...a native American from Arizona that is a good friend of Mario.  There were lots of young families in attendance even though it was sub-freezing.  I'm glad I went.  Saturday was a 2 mile road run.  Sunday was 3 miles on the trail.  I missed those as we had planned a trip to Sunriver with the grandkids to celebrate the holidays before our overseas trip.  We had already shortened the trip slightly and I'll admit I wasn't excited about doing it at all.  But I'm glad I did.  The kids were fantastic...7 of 8 grandkids ranging in age from the 3 year old twins to 18.  Izzy is in France.  We missed her.  We also included Katie's new extended family.  Her partner has two boys age 7&11.  We included them just for the evening.  Katie and Andy stayed to help supervise them and we swam, made butter, enjoyed homemade rolls and soup, and then dressed warm for an evening at the observatory.  We enjoyed waffles with huckleberry sauce for breakfast and did crafts and played games till checkout time.  I'm glad we didn't cancel.

Back to marathon training.  Taper has started so it's been a bit easier to fit my runs in.  I ran a nice 8.35 mile run w/6 @ MP (10:18) and even though it was windy and nasty ran a nice 10:15 pace.  I'm glad that I have running as my excuse to get up and leave the computer for a few minutes each day.  Emails and texts have been flying as we prepare for Mom's service and make plans to clean out her home.  She moved there when I was born in 1958.  Running has been and continues to be a welcome break.  We're planning a low key Thanksgiving dinner this evening.  My DIL stepped up and offered to host.  I'm just doing a couple of traditional family dishes to add to her meal.  And we'll use Mom's butter churn to make butter again.  Very Happy

Looks like it may be snowy during our drive to/from Sacramento.  Race day weather looks iffy but it could be worse.  Temps look good and winds aren't terrible but there is a chance of rain...not huge.  We'll see what happens and then deal with it won't we!  I'm to busy for taper madness.  

And life goes on...just as Mom would have liked.
Well, I got my answer about Australia. Glad you're going, even with the special emphasis, this time.

So, screws in the shoes, eh?  I've seen them and remember you writing about them, but that's the extent of my enjoyment.

Stay after that taper.  I'll look on the National Weather Service site to see what seems to be in the offing.  Me not knowing the topography and the usual happenings puts me at a distinct disadvantage, though.  For example, it took me a couple of years, where my friend was on a weeklong backpacking trip in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe in August, to realize what radar was telling me, what the NWS was saying, and the names of counties and towns near her path.  The result now is that I'm pretty darn accurate when storms are about to whack them.

So, I'm saying I'll suggest what I think might happen, then you can trash it or like it.

Keep those distractions coming!  Is Izzy the granddaughter that wants to be the Secretary of Agriculture?  How else is she doing?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:21 pm

Good job on the 16 miler. I hope your taper goes well. It's always an added interest when you can start checking the weather, though I've heard it's not too accurate 5 days out.  The freezing fog sounds really bad. We get that only rarely, just don't get much fog here.

I hope you have a good trip to Australia and good visit with your host mum. It definitely sounds like you're very busy with everything, I hope you can sleep OK and the running is helpful. I am imagining this marathon could be very good for you. Nothing like a good long run (I always tell myself it's just a weekend long run to avoid getting myself too excited and hyper about the marathons).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Well, I got my answer about Australia. Glad you're going, even with the special emphasis, this time.

So, screws in the shoes, eh?  I've seen them and remember you writing about them, but that's the extent of my enjoyment.

Stay after that taper.  I'll look on the National Weather Service site to see what seems to be in the offing.  Me not knowing the topography and the usual happenings puts me at a distinct disadvantage, though.  For example, it took me a couple of years, where my friend was on a weeklong backpacking trip in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe in August, to realize what radar was telling me, what the NWS was saying, and the names of counties and towns near her path.  The result now is that I'm pretty darn accurate when storms are about to whack them.

So, I'm saying I'll suggest what I think might happen, then you can trash it or like it.

Keep those distractions coming!  Is Izzy the granddaughter that wants to be the Secretary of Agriculture?  How else is she doing?
Yes, I was an exchange student and attended high school at a girls school in Perth for a year.  My host family had a farm in the wheat belt that we spent time on during the school holidays.  I have a very close relationship with my host family and a couple friends from high school in Australia.

If it's to icy even the shoes with screws aren't effective but for a bit of ice or icy spots they work well.

The race starts in Folsom and finishes at the capital in Sacramento.  Race day conditions look a bit wet right now but it's still to early to be confident in the prediction.  Temps look good (39-54).  Winds of 7 mph will make the start chilly.  I'm okay with chilly.  I don't have much experience running in the rain.

So... Emma is the granddaughter that wanted to be Secretary of Agriculture.  She graduated HS last year and had an associates degree when she graduated.  She had switched her career choice something in the medical field and done quite a bit of job shadowing but hadn't narrowed her choice down.  Then she got an offer for a scholarship to a community college as a member of the livestock judging team.  We all thought it was a bit of a waste of time but she's enjoying it, has been able to take classes which will transfer well, and been very successful.  She received several offers for very good scholarships at good 4 year universities.  She would continue to livestock judge and would be able to get a degree that would allow her to choose either a agriculture related career or a medical related career.

Izzy is the one that is currently completing her Junior year of HS as an exchange student in France.  She is NOT interested in agriculture.  Her current goal is to learn multiple languages and do something related to international business.  She recently learned about an opportunity to go to university overseas and intern with the Dept of State possibly at overseas embassies.  She will have another year of HS to complete once she returns home unless she chooses to graduate early as she already has the required credits.
Julie wrote:Good job on the 16 miler. I hope your taper goes well. It's always an added interest when you can start checking the weather, though I've heard it's not too accurate 5 days out.  The freezing fog sounds really bad. We get that only rarely, just don't get much fog here.

I hope you have a good trip to Australia and good visit with your host mum. It definitely sounds like you're very busy with everything, I hope you can sleep OK and the running is helpful. I am imagining this marathon could be very good for you. Nothing like a good long run (I always tell myself it's just a weekend long run to avoid getting myself too excited and hyper about the marathons).
Thanks Julie.  I'm doing well and things are starting to quiet down allowing me to concentrate more on the race and packing for our trip.  I'll meet with my brothers on Tuesday afternoon and the service is Wednesday morning.  I have a good attorney who is helping me with my role as executor and she's not concerned with my travel plans.

I do have goals to run a BQ so this is more than a long run.  I'm going into the race with the attitude that even though circumstances aren't perfect, if I can keep my head on straight a BQ is still achievable.  And if not then I'll have the opportunity to train again.  Very Happy

Yesterday I had a 10 miler on the plan with strict instructions not to overdo it.  I did not execute well.  Goal pace was 11:15 or slower.  I ran 10:53.  Just like my half earlier this year, I knew I was going out to fast and could not/did not adjust.  I don't think I did any harm but it did remind me that I do need to make sure I keep the pace conservative for the first 20 miles.  I have a pace band to wear.  I will also tuck in behind the 4:30 pacer.

Heading out shortly for an easy 4 and I'm determined to keep it easy today!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 pm

Thanks for clarifying the granddaughters.  What they'll do will all shake out.

Regarding the weather for next Sunday, you can't really look at today and generate any certainty, except that there will be weather.  4 days from race day (in this case Wednesday) will be the first day that you can plan your clothing for the race.  I can tell you that if there is X type of clouds or sunny skies for one day before the race, race day, and the day after the race, is the same (like 3 days of sunny or 3 days of cloudy), then you can generally count on that happening because 12 hours sliding one way or the other won't change anything.

I looked at the Forecast Discussion for the Sacramento office of the NWS for the end of this week and I have italicized certain sentences:
EXTENDED DISCUSSION (Thursday THROUGH Sunday)...

Ensembles are still in agreement on bringing another, more potent
trough across the western CONUS late next week, bringing periods
of rain and mountain snow, gusty winds, and colder temperatures.
The details of this system are still fairly murky, especially
regarding the evolution of the low, the amount of moisture
associated
, and how low snow levels will be. Even so, IVT plumes
do suggest a decent fetch of moisture will be drawn up into the
southwest flow into NorCal Thursday afternoon-Friday morning,
which coincides with when we`re expecting the heaviest
precipitation
. Latest EFI is highlighting Wind for Thursday
afternoon corresponding to when a 100knot 200 mb jet will be over
the region, primarily producing very gusty winds across the Sierra
and surrounding mountain ranges.

Ensembles continue to advertise another trough digging into the
region shortly after the THU-FRI trough, but there are still quite a
bit of uncertainty in the timing and moisture with trough #2, so
confidence in the forecast beyond Friday afternoon is low.

So, right now, I'd say travel days to either Sacramento or Folsom won't be dry.  About the only thing you can do for Sunday is rule out temps higher than X and lower than Y for your fashion selections.  On Tuesday, Nov 29, you can peek at Friday and Saturday's forecast and look for consistency.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 am

By this point, you could take an average of the local TV station's forecast board:
https://www.kcra.com/weather
https://www.abc10.com/weather
https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/weather/
https://fox40.com/weather/

There's supposed to be a lot of snow to fall in the Sierras, which isn't on your route.  So, without a good understanding of the locations mentioned in the NWS Forecast Discussions, the above is the best I can do.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next