365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

5 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 5 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 pm

ounce wrote:By this point, you could take an average of the local TV station's forecast board:
https://www.kcra.com/weather
https://www.abc10.com/weather
https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/weather/
https://fox40.com/weather/

There's supposed to be a lot of snow to fall in the Sierras, which isn't on your route.  So, without a good understanding of the locations mentioned in the NWS Forecast Discussions, the above is the best I can do.
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to get wet.  But temps don't look terrible and winds don't look awful either.

Spent yesterday with family preparing for Mom's service.  It went well.  I'm back home and in a bit of a panic trying to make sure I get packed and ready to head out very early Friday morning.  While we don't drive via the Sierras, we do drive over some passes and I wouldn't be surprised if we are in snow.  We did drive over the Cascades for Mom's service...several wrecks but we all made it on time and without any problems.

I did take time yesterday to get my 6 mile run in.  My Mom grew up on a small farm on the Sandy River.  My brother lives there now.  I decided to run from there.  It was a nice run....in the rain.  Good practice for race day.

I'm not going to worry about things I can't change.  No predictions for this race.  I just want to do the best I can and whatever that is will just have to do.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 5 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  ounce Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:By this point, you could take an average of the local TV station's forecast board:

There's supposed to be a lot of snow to fall in the Sierras, which isn't on your route.  So, without a good understanding of the locations mentioned in the NWS Forecast Discussions, the above is the best I can do.
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to get wet.  But temps don't look terrible and winds don't look awful either.

Spent yesterday with family preparing for Mom's service.  It went well.  I'm back home and in a bit of a panic trying to make sure I get packed and ready to head out very early Friday morning.  While we don't drive via the Sierras, we do drive over some passes and I wouldn't be surprised if we are in snow.  We did drive over the Cascades for Mom's service...several wrecks but we all made it on time and without any problems.

I did take time yesterday to get my 6 mile run in.  My Mom grew up on a small farm on the Sandy River.  My brother lives there now.  I decided to run from there.  It was a nice run....in the rain.  Good practice for race day.

I'm not going to worry about things I can't change.  No predictions for this race.  I just want to do the best I can and whatever that is will just have to do.
Glad the service is done.  That allows everyone to continue their grieving amongst themselves.

As far as Sunday, a plain, plastic dry cleaning bag works great to keep you dry and even warm.  In addition, they're easier to manipulate than a green lawn & trash bag.  Also easier to tear because the dry cleaning bag is so thin.  Maybe ask for one in beautiful, downtown Madras.

Trying to glean something about the weather, I noticed all of the Winter Storm Warnings that expire Thursday at noon in Oregon down to Redding.  50 miles either side of I-5 from Redding south, I presume there are mountains.  East are the Sierras, but don't know west of I-5 what they're called. 

You know the highway through Klamath Falls and Mount Shasta to Redding.  That looks to be the roughest part of the journey.  Redding south looks not snowy, just because it's not on today's Winter Storm Warning.  So that must be a valley plus it's an Interstate.

I imagine you'll get your mind right (righter) before the race.  You'll do fine.  I'll be looking for 906 on Sunday.  What I do on Sunday may interfere with checking your times, but I'll be a lookin'.

Just strain a calf muscle (theatrical equivalent of 'break a leg'). Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:38 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Glad the service is done.  That allows everyone to continue their grieving amongst themselves.

As far as Sunday, a plain, plastic dry cleaning bag works great to keep you dry and even warm.  In addition, they're easier to manipulate than a green lawn & trash bag.  Also easier to tear because the dry cleaning bag is so thin.  Maybe ask for one in beautiful, downtown Madras.

Trying to glean something about the weather, I noticed all of the Winter Storm Warnings that expire Thursday at noon in Oregon down to Redding.  50 miles either side of I-5 from Redding south, I presume there are mountains.  East are the Sierras, but don't know west of I-5 what they're called. 

You know the highway through Klamath Falls and Mount Shasta to Redding.  That looks to be the roughest part of the journey.  Redding south looks not snowy, just because it's not on today's Winter Storm Warning.  So that must be a valley plus it's an Interstate.

I imagine you'll get your mind right (righter) before the race.  You'll do fine.  I'll be looking for 906 on Sunday.  What I do on Sunday may interfere with checking your times, but I'll be a lookin'.

Just strain a calf muscle (theatrical equivalent of 'break a leg'). Approval
I like the "strain a calf muscle" thought...quite appropriate.  Laughing

Yes, the road between KFalls and Redding can get hit with some winter driving issues but it's an interstate so they stay on top of it.  And I'm heading down early enough that a travel delay will be stressful but manageable.

It does look like I should plan on getting wet but I took the time to look at the hourly prediction and it doesn't look as bad as the daily prediction.  Rain should be tapering off by the race start and temperatures/wind are okay.

I splurged for the VIP package when I signed up this year.  It was a bit expensive but the hotel discount ended up paying for the entire cost!  It includes VIP packet pickup, a pre-race dinner, better bus to the start, an indoor area to wait for the start, start line gear drop (others must drop gear at the finish and anything they bring to the start is discarded), a post-race breakfast.  The indoor waiting area at the start is going to be much appreciated if it's raining!!  And the pacers will be in the same waiting area so I can connect with them prior to heading out to the corrals.

I'm finishing up some farm office tasks, communicating with the attorney to make sure she doesn't need anything, packing bags...and running an easy 4 with Janice later today.

We're heading out very early tomorrow...before 5:00.  The plan is to have a muffin and coffee and then stop for a nice breakfast in KFall.  We'll stop again for lunch/snack so I can stretch my legs.  I want to be able to stop and walk often and still arrive before dark.

Goal is still 4:30 knowing that anything sub 4:35 is a BQ.  But a good finish will be acceptable at this point.  Melissa has helped me realize that I can run well in less than ideal conditions.  I'm cautiously optimistic.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Well I came in to wish you the best for CIM only to hear about the passing of your Mom - gosh, last time I checked she was to move into a facility but I guess she and above had other plans.  Good that you are all at peace and you know that she wants you to give it your best this weekend.

Came here to wish you a great race!   If you get that BQ, I'll be sure to come to Boston to run in 2024 and I know that Nick will too  (he's running this coming April and I hope he brings the little guy).   Have a great run - I'll be stalking!

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:32 pm

At the 30K, your estimated finish time is 4:31:55, per the CIM tracker. An 11:42 pace.

I imagine you're feeling the distance, now.

I'll be seeing a movie when you finish. Relax. Your time is your time, like it or not. Tomorrow is another day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well I came in to wish you the best for CIM only to hear about the passing of your Mom - gosh, last time I checked she was to move into a facility but I guess she and above had other plans.  Good that you are all at peace and you know that she wants you to give it your best this weekend.

Came here to wish you a great race!   If you get that BQ, I'll be sure to come to Boston to run in 2024 and I know that Nick will too  (he's running this coming April and I hope he bring the little guy).   Have a great run - I'll be stalking!

ounce wrote:At the 30K, your estimated finish time is 4:31:55, per the CIM tracker.  An 11:42 pace.

I imagine you're feeling the distance, now.  

I'll be seeing a movie when you finish.  Relax.  Your time is your time, like it or not.  Tomorrow is another day.
Thanks Michele and Doug.

This was a tough one.  One that I'm going to need a few days...maybe weeks to process.  I may need to change course going forward...or at least take an extended break.

I've had a tough couple weeks and as much as I tried to convince myself that I could still be ready to race there was doubt in the back of my mind.  I do think I did a better job of carb loading and fueling than last year but that was just a patch on a couple weeks of compromised training.  I was scared today.

We'll be in Australia till Jan 20th.  I'll have a few opportunities to run but they'll be limited.  I won't quit.  But may concentrating on shorter distances would be a good option.  I don't want to make a quick decision while I'm upset.

Off to a nice dinner.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:30 am

Congratulations for gutting it out!    You had me very worried - yup, I was at the Falcons game and kept refreshing.   Hope all is good!   

Have a wonderful time in Australia!  Relax and recharge!  And Happy Holidays!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:04 pm

I was thinking of you this weekend and meant to hop on here and wish you a good race. Congratulations on working hard and finishing! There are so many uncontrollable variables, I hope you take your time processing and evaluating and in the end realize you did your best and be thankful for that, too.

Enjoy Australia!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congratulations for gutting it out!    You had me very worried - yup, I was at the Falcons game and kept refreshing.   Hope all is good!   

Have a wonderful time in Australia!  Relax and recharge!  And Happy Holidays!

Julie wrote:I was thinking of you this weekend and meant to hop on here and wish you a good race. Congratulations on working hard and finishing! There are so many uncontrollable variables, I hope you take your time processing and evaluating and in the end realize you did your best and be thankful for that, too.

Enjoy Australia!

Thanks to both of you.  

I'm heading to the pool for a short recovery swim with friends. We fly out early tomorrow morning.  Our flight was cancelled and rebooked giving me an extra 24 hours to pack...24 hours which I'm glad I have!  Flight is long and complicated requiring 36+ hours of total travel time.  Weather isn't the typical summer weather we usually have for our visits...we're packing an extra warm and water resistant layer along with our snorkel gear.  It will be nice to see our friends and especially my host Mum even if the weather isn't cooperative.

I've been lying awake in bed thinking about the race and my future.  I was scared on Sunday and so was Marty...really scared.  Coach Melissa thinks I was prepared and am capable of achieving my BQ goal but that with everything going on my body just used up to much energy coping with it all and didn't save enough for the race.  I did fix some of the carb loading and fueling issues we thought might have contributed to my late race decline last year...but it wasn't enough to overcome those tough days leading up to the race this year.  I can't give up on my goal to run a BQ and return to Boston.  Not sure how I'm going to move forward but I do want to move forward.  Marty thinks I'm crazy!  He may be right.

I will have limited opportunities to run during our time in Australia but I am packing my running gear.

Happy Holidays...and thanks again for your comments.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:30 am

Well, the time off will flush away all of the mind things going on.  Then, you can evaluate your running future.  Have a good trip.  We'll still be here.  Enjoy another summer Christmas.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:53 pm

I think you're capable of BQ again, too. Your training and half marathons certainly predict that. Marathons take so much mental energy, too though, and I can't imagine not being drained after losing your mom so recently.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:59 pm

ounce wrote:Well, the time off will flush away all of the mind things going on.  Then, you can evaluate your running future.  Have a good trip.  We'll still be here.  Enjoy another summer Christmas.

Julie wrote:I think you're capable of BQ again, too. Your training and half marathons certainly predict that. Marathons take so much mental energy, too though, and I can't imagine not being drained after losing your mom so recently.

Thanks to both of you.  Once again the mental aspect of training/racing is probably more difficult than the physical aspect.  But the mental part affects the physical ability.

I'm not ready to give up on running a BQ.  Trying to decide if CIM is the best place/race to continue to pursue that goal.  There are a lot of reasons why that makes the most sense but maybe a fresh race would be a better option.  Lots of pros and cons....

The weather here in Tasmania is not the summer weather we were expecting.  It's been cold and rainy.  Rain is letting up today but it's predicted to be chilly and windy.  I have a long day hike planned with a friend.  Marty and I are booked for a 4 day 3 Capes Trek near Hobart Dec 24-27.  Looks like we may get wet...

I made sure I stayed active during the flight layovers on the way here.  We had 5 flights and a total of 36:45 of travel time.  Travel is not easy post COVID.  But we made it and so did our luggage!  I walked a mile during each layover which really helped the legs recover from the marathon and survive the extended periods of sitting.

I've been running 2-3 miles any morning that I have time.   The runs have been feeling really good.  I decided to skip running this morning as we have the long hike planned.  I've also been doing a lot of walking during the day...both errands and tourist type activities...so I'm spending a lot of time on my feet.

We're having a wonderful time in spite of the weather...catching up with friends, Marty has been able to lend a hand on the farm, and I've connected with a friend from my year in High School in Australia.  We're catching up on old times and sharing new adventures.  Very Happy

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:22 am

Having a fantastic trip but not running as much as I'd like.  Tasmania was cooler and with Marty spending time on the farm I was able to get several short runs in.  My favorite was the morning the kookaburra was sitting in the old gum tree laughing as I ran past.  Laughing The last few days in Tasmania we were backpacking on 3 Capes trail so no running.  It was an awesome trail...challenging but fantastic views...and I thoroughly enjoyed it but the last couple days were long and hard.  We finished the hike with a quick dip in a chilly bay and then boarded the plane to fly west...no shower.  affraid I'm still recovering!

West Australia is much warmer.  85 today.  We're in a small community but it's like being in the city to Marty and I.  Most of my host family has settled in this community and my host Mum recently entered a care facility here.  We've been spending a lot of time with her and my extended host family...that was the primary purpose of the trip.  I did manage to run a couple miles yesterday.  We've been swimming daily as well.  This morning we opted for an early morning swim before the breeze picked up so I didn't have time to run.  Hoping to run tomorrow before we head south for a few days.  We're trying to escape from the New Year festivities so are headed to a more rural part of the state.  I've located some short hikes, snorkeling spots, etc.

Off to enjoy the crabs that the men caught this morning...

Oh...I did register for CIM.  Not totally committed to doing it but didn't want to miss out.  I'm struggling to let go of my goal and also let CIM get the better of me!

Ultreya
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:45 pm

Yeah, I've been noticing the 3 Capes trails walks for the amount of hoofing you're doing.  I know your host mum's family is lapping up y'alls visit, as a diversion, if nothing else.

Why am I not surprised that you signed up for this year's CIM?  Go get 'em, kid!

I guess your legs are still enjoying the easy days.  Have a great rest of your time, there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:26 am

Assuming you may be back and it sounds like you were having a fantastic time.  I'm sure getting away was definitely well deserved and needed.  I know that I needed the downtime after NYC.

Glad that you signed up again for CIM; however, selfish me wished you had signed up for a late spring race like Eugene so that I could see you at Boston in 2024.  Not sure I'll make it to 2025!  Keep thinking I'm done after this year (already crazily registered for Chicago as I "qualified" both with a time and as an Abbott WMM Age Grouper) and well, I'm still trying to get into London and maybe 2024 will be my year.  The guy that I'm kind of seeing works peripherally for a marathon tour-type group and they are now a London tour host - so maybe I'll get one of their bibs.  They have a few for this coming year (2023) and I'd take one if given (pay) but it is the day after my Mom's 90th birthday so she might not be happy.  (I would be as my Mom is a challenge).  

Anyway, I digress.  Hope all is well and that you are ready to follow Coach Melissa at Houston.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:07 pm

I hope you had a great trip. The things you shared sounded very fun. Though not sure about 85 degrees!

Well, good for you with CIM! I hope training goes very well and it's a great race day. But in the meantime, enjoy, right? Smile
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm

Home.  Exhausted.  Had a fantastic trip.  We did a few touristy things but primarily spent quality time with friends and my host family.  We were able to spend a lot of quality time with my host Mum and that was the main purpose of this trip.

I was able to run 2-3 times per week but it was sporadic and I kept the distances pretty short.  I did lots of hiking etc so hopefully that kept me from losing to much fitness.  I had some pretty iconic runs...Kookaburra's sitting in an old gum tree laughing at me in Tasmania, lots of beautiful runs along the beach in West Australia followed by a swim in the surf, warm humid runs along the Esplanade in Brisbane, and I joined the Parkrun one Saturday.  It's a weekly free public 5K event in parks all over the country.  They even have a few in the US.  It was awesome to meet some local runners.  We plan to return to Australia in a couple years and I'll make a point to join one or more when we do.  The last weekend I ran under the Sydney Harbour bridge with the Opera House in full view at sunrise one morning and then ran around the Opera House and through the Royal Botanic Gardens the next day.  Great way to finish the trip!

Struggling to adjust to the time change on my return and also very busy but I've already had a couple good runs.  I'll build back slowly.  I'm looking forward to getting back into a good training routine and setting goals for 2023.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 am

Welcome back!    My friend Dave is looking to run CIM next year, so I may be out there as his sherpa and spectator.   It would be fun to see you - and Marty? and maybe Katie too?   I will not be running it as I'll be running XC nationals a week later in Tallahassee.

Rest up!  Ease back into it and I'm glad you had fun.  Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my list even if I have to go there by myself
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:16 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Welcome back!    My friend Dave is looking to run CIM next year, so I may be out there as his sherpa and spectator.   It would be fun to see you - and Marty? and maybe Katie too?   I will not be running it as I'll be running XC nationals a week later in Tallahassee.

Rest up!  Ease back into it and I'm glad you had fun.  Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my list even if I have to go there by myself
Hey Michele, great to hear from you.  It's fun to follow you on Strava but it's just not the same.  Very Happy
It would be fun to see you in Sacramento.  Marty will most likely drive me down.  Katie will accompany me if/when I make it back to Boston.

Any suggestions that you can offer as Melissa and I try to figure out changes we can make in my training to help me successfully run a BQ?  I'm really struggling mentally to figure out what I should do differently...or even if that's a reasonable goal at this point in my life.  I know you work with Melissa and understand her training philosophy.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I really respect your ability and your experience.  

Speaking of experience, I know that you were able to successfully train and run through some pretty stressful times recently.  I'm not in a good place right now.  Part of me is reacting by running more and running harder to try and deal with the stress but part of me recognizes that the stresses I'm dealing with probably definitely contributed to my tough race at CIM.  Maybe I need to settle down and make sure running is helping me deal with the stress...or at least not adding to it.

So here goes...I'm going to get this off my chest and then I'm going to move forward with whatever life hands to me.

I mentioned that my Mom passed in mid-November just a few weeks before CIM and our overseas trip.  I think I also mentioned that I'm her executor.  What I didn't mention is that her estate is large, complicated, and that there are some family issues that had been bubbling up along the edges the last year or two.  I have a good attorney and I am committed to doing the right thing which is preserving family relationships even if I'm not confident Mom understood what she was being asked to do.  Those family relationships were more important to her than the money and I want to honor that.

That's the easy part.  Kevin and family came home to farm with us nearly 10 years ago.  His family has grown to 5 kids!  Our assets and our futures have become more and more entwined as the years pass.  We are dependent on his labor and technical expertise.  He is dependent on our experience and financial support.  It hasn't been the perfect partnership but we never questioned the future of that partnership.  I think 5 kids, the most severe drought in history, nearly historic inflation, and more... all combined to make him question his ability to thrive in the partnership.  His answer to the problem was to grow the farm bigger.  We balked and did not and still do not understand how that will provide him with more time for his kids but are especially unwilling to put the current farm at risk to go in debt to double the size.  Relationships have been strained since late last summer.  They reached a boiling point this fall and boiled over while we were overseas.  Emotions are high and we can't convince him to slow down and work toward a succession/separation plan that is mutually beneficial.  He insists we make decisions...immediately...that allow him to double the size of the farm and end our participation in the farm operation.  That puts our financial future in jeopardy.  Not to mention what it does to the relationship with the grandkids.  It's getting more and more nasty by the day and we don't know how/when it will be resolved.  

I pretended for a long time that I could handle the stress of Mom's decline and passing.  And that I could handle the stress of farming with our son during a drought.  And that I could run successfully at the same time.  Obviously I couldn't.  I guess I'm human after all.

I probably said more than I should have but it's said and now I intend to deal with whatever life brings and be the best runner that I can be under the circumstances.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:50 pm

Well, THAT was an interesting and gutsy post.  Just know that you can delete the post at any time.  Thanks for sharing.

There are economies of scale in growing it bigger, but it seems like it would end up being a tail wagging the dog kind of situation.  I feel for Kevin in trying to provide for his family, but you and Marty come first because it's your dirt and home.  Since I don't know the entire situation, I can sit here and say that you need to protect your future and sell the farm.  The sale would finance your retirement.  It wouldn't do much for Kevin, but Kevin is Kevin's problem.

He's already pissed, so what's a little more gas on the fire?

Seems like running is a good diversion.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

ounce wrote:Well, THAT was an interesting and gutsy post.  Just know that you can delete the post at any time.  Thanks for sharing.

There are economies of scale in growing it bigger, but it seems like it would end up being a tail wagging the dog kind of situation.  I feel for Kevin in trying to provide for his family, but you and Marty come first because it's your dirt and home.  Since I don't know the entire situation, I can sit here and say that you need to protect your future and sell the farm.  The sale would finance your retirement.  It wouldn't do much for Kevin, but Kevin is Kevin's problem.

He's already pissed, so what's a little more gas on the fire?

Seems like running is a good diversion.
I didn't consider it gutsy but maybe...  I just wanted to explain that my goals to train for a BQ may be delayed while we work through this.  My health is the priority right now and running can be/is a big part of that.

Just for clarification, we are offering the farm to Kevin.  We're willing to step back sooner than planned to allow him the independence he wants.

So update on running.
Friday I got in 8 miles at the overlook at an 11:28 pace.  When I started I wasn't sure I was going to be able to run the full 8 but it went pretty well.  It was really nice to get back to the overlook even if it was windy and spitting rain.

Marty and I have started doing our core/strength work again.  Marty wants to workout MTTF.  I'll see if I can maintain that schedule and still run. Even with lighter weights I've been pretty sore.  What a Face

This morning was leg day and then I ran at the park with Janice.  I had 4 on my schedule but we both felt good so added a bit of distance for a total of 5.5 miles at a very easy effort 12:20 pace.

Melissa and I have moved my rest day from Wednesday to Thursday.  This allows me to schedule a recovery swim with friends early Wednesday morning and participate in Mario's Wednesday Workout in the afternoon without trying to do to much.

My RHR has been bouncing up and down depending on the day.  My HR during runs has been high but I'm not surprised.  I haven't worried about cadence.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:21 pm

I haven't even thought of what my RHR is.  Maybe I'll remember to look at the clock and do a count, sometime.

Glad you're embracing the time-tested routes, again.

I guess the pool has warm water in it?   pale

Enjoy the weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:18 pm

ounce wrote:I haven't even thought of what my RHR is.  Maybe I'll remember to look at the clock and do a count, sometime.

Glad you're embracing the time-tested routes, again.

I guess the pool has warm water in it?   pale

Enjoy the weekend.
My fitness watch tracks RHR, sleep, body battery...I don't pay a lot of attention as I do believe that how I feel is more important than what the watch says.  But I will admit the there is usually a correlation.  And...my RHR, sleep quality, and body battery have been slowly improving the last few days.  And I do feel a bit better. Smile

The pool is an indoor pool.  We're figuring out the best times to go and slowly building our distance back up but keeping it at a recovery workout level.

I'm keeping things pretty low key and trying not to treat this as training and racing but rather running for the enjoyment and health.

Highlights...
  • We...5 MadrasRunners...car pooled to the Dam Run on Super Bowl Sunday.  We ran the 10 miler a couple years ago but all decided that 5K was a more appropriate distance this year. (They don't offer a 10K).  It was the most unorganized event ever!  The bus was to full so the 5K runners had to wait for a second bus.  They dropped us off in the wrong spot.  There was no one there to start the race.  We adapted and had a great time.  The 5 of us ended up running individual "races" with new friends.  I was quite pleased with my run.  I finished a long 3.3 mi course in 31:41 @ 9:36.  Splits were 10:02, 9:44, 9:23, finish @ 8:29.  Not speedy by any stretch of the imagination but it felt good and I pushed hard to stay with my rabbit.
  • I'm still swimming on Wednesday morning.  It's a nice recovery run with friends.
  • I've really enjoyed Workout Wednesday with the high school kids.  There are now 4-6 adult MadrasRunners that attend regularly.  I had a great run last week doing 3x800 with paces @8:11, 8:10, 8:06.  I took some extra rest time to jog back and help Janice jog in her intervals.  My legs were whining the next morning.   Laughing  Unfortunately next week is the last workout as official track practice starts and we aren't allowed to participate due to safety rules.  We would all have to go through background checks and become volunteers.  We'll settle for watching the kids race this spring.

I'll head out for a short, easy run later this morning before we pack up and head over the mountain.  The Heart to Start race is this weekend.  Dr. Beckerman's signature Heart Breaker Half didn't survive COVID but he partnered with Hood to Coast to offer an event on Saturday.  They only offers a 5K or 10K but that's better for me anyway.  I'm signed up for the 10K and I will "race" it realizing that race effort will not produce the results that I've been able to achieve in the past.  It's all about enjoying an event, supporting a great cause, and pushing myself to do the best that I can do today.  We'll also have dinner with my brother this evening and lunch with MIL on Saturday.

Guess I better pack my bags, get my run done, and shower...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:57 pm

Luckily, I've never experienced and unorganized race, before.

I would ask your high school bunch what type of cheering or things to say at a track meet that would be special between the kids and y'all.  Like doing a wave from the stands.  You remember 'the wave' done at football or baseball games where the crowd stands and puts their hands in the air like a wave in the ocean rolls by.  Even if only you show up.  It'll be that secret act of support where y'all are cool to the kids.  Their parents won't understand...like it should be.  Or wearing a certain color.

Your splits on Heart to Start looked pretty durn consistent and your cardiac creep looked to be unremarkable (meaning consistent and not cause for a concern).

Keep at it, ma'am, yet enjoy it, which seems to be the case.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:06 pm

ounce wrote:Luckily, I've never experienced and unorganized race, before.

I would ask your high school bunch what type of cheering or things to say at a track meet that would be special between the kids and y'all.  Like doing a wave from the stands.  You remember 'the wave' done at football or baseball games where the crowd stands and puts their hands in the air like a wave in the ocean rolls by.  Even if only you show up.  It'll be that secret act of support where y'all are cool to the kids.  Their parents won't understand...like it should be.  Or wearing a certain color.

Your splits on Heart to Start looked pretty durn consistent and your cardiac creep looked to be unremarkable (meaning consistent and not cause for a concern).

Keep at it, ma'am, yet enjoy it, which seems to be the case.
Fortunately we were all treating the Dam Run as more of a group training run so the lack of organization wasn't a big deal.

We had a very COLD but really good final Workout Wednesday.  Warmed up...then Mario took us inside to talk and do our drills and dynamic stretching.  We headed back out for a 20 minute (+-) progression run.  Considering the weather I was surprised the turnout was so good.  We got the schedule of meets and it looks like we'll have the opportunity to watch both the high school and middle school kids compete at their home track.

MadrasRunners announced signups for what has become our signature event.  The virtual series that was started during COVID.  It's going to be a 3 week series starting the first of April.  

The Heart to Start 10K turned out better than I expected.  It wasn't my fastest 10K but it was one of my best races ever...of any distance.  I ran well and really enjoyed it.  Hood to Coast organized a very well run event.  The announcer was awesome.  They did a great job of emphasizing the purpose of the event...health.

So...the race.  I wasn't aiming for any particular time.  I just wanted to run will within my fitness and really enjoy the event.  It was a bit chilly but not terrible.  I just ran the first mile with the crowd...relatively conservative.  I didn't know how I would hold up over 6 miles.  The group pace picked up a bit during the second mile and I just stayed with the group.  Near the end of the 2nd mile a lady passed me with an encouraging word.  I settled in behind her.  Turned out to be a great decision.  She was a perfect pace for me and so positive and encouraging to other runners and volunteers.  I couldn't help but follow her example.  We all slowed a bit during the 4th mile as we navigated a bit of muddy trail...most of the race was sidewalk or paved trail.  Near the end of the 4th mile I passed my friendly rabbit and a few others.  I was on my own for the rest of the race.  In hindsight I probably waited a bit to long to pick up the pace as I felt like I still had a bit in the tank at the finish.  Dr. Beckerman was at the finish line with an encouraging hug and we talked a bit later as well.  Even though I wasn't "competing" I couldn't help but look at my results afterwards.

6.3 miles @9:37 1:00:41
  1. 10:05
  2. 9:37
  3. 9:35
  4. 9:46
  5. 9:30
  6. 9:31
  7. @8:30

Official results 1:00:39  
66/161 Overall
36/142 Female
3/6 AG

Turns out my rabbit was in my age group.  She finished just over a minute behind me and we talked after the race.  What a wonderful lady!

Legs have been heavy since the race so I guess I didn't leave to much out on the course.  I'm recovering slowly.  I'm glad yesterday was a rest day as the winter storm arrived with snow and wind chills below zero.  Not sure of my plans for today.  I have 8 on my schedule.  That is not going to happen.  The question is do I run the 4 that's on my schedule for Saturday today?  Treadmill or outside?  It's pretty nasty out there.  Tomorrow looks better in the afternoon and I should be able to get my 8 miles in then.

Sipping on a second up of coffee as I look out the window.  It's snowing lightly, 12 degrees with wind chill of 0.  Boy do I hate the dreadmill but...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next