365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  Julie Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:09 pm

Wow, congrats on your race! Very nicely done!

If it were just 4 miles, and 0 windchill,  I would opt for the treadmill. I plan to run 5 on the treadmill tomorrow just because of single digit windchills and icy roads. But I can't manage past 7 miles.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:06 pm

ounce wrote:Luckily, I've never experienced and unorganized race, before.

I would ask your high school bunch what type of cheering or things to say at a track meet that would be special between the kids and y'all.  Like doing a wave from the stands.  You remember 'the wave' done at football or baseball games where the crowd stands and puts their hands in the air like a wave in the ocean rolls by.  Even if only you show up.  It'll be that secret act of support where y'all are cool to the kids.  Their parents won't understand...like it should be.  Or wearing a certain color.

Your splits on Heart to Start looked pretty durn consistent and your cardiac creep looked to be unremarkable (meaning consistent and not cause for a concern).

Keep at it, ma'am, yet enjoy it, which seems to be the case.

Wow, congrats on your race! Very nicely done!

If it were just 4 miles, and 0 windchill,  I would opt for the treadmill. I plan to run 5 on the treadmill tomorrow just because of single digit windchills and icy roads. But I can't manage past 7 miles.
Thanks Doug and Julie.  Even though it wasn't a fast race it was a race that I'm quite proud of under the circumstances.  It's important that we have realistic expectations.

The kids started track practice on Monday.  The first home meet is April 13th.  It's on my calendar.

Janice has shingles...fortunately it's very mild.  She was visiting the grandkids in California and went to urgent care and got on medication quickly.  She can't swim or run for a few days but is still able to walk.  I miss her company on swim and easy run days.  We went to church and brunch together on Sunday.  It was nice to chat with her.

I survived my dreadmill run on Friday.  It warmed up quickly on Saturday going from 3 degrees when I woke up to 41 degrees after lunch.  I got my long run (8 miles) done at the overlook in relatively good conditions.  There were still a few patches of ice that required caution but it was a good run.  8 mi @ 11:10 with a nice negative split.

It's been very cold in the morning.  And very windy most days.  I was feeling a bit blah yesterday and the gusty winds didn't help my mood but I managed to get my easy 5 done before lunch.  I've got a longer run on the schedule today with some speedwork.  It looks like waiting till after lunch offers the best conditions but it will still be a tough run.  That's what life is about isn't it...getting through the tough stuff.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:29 pm

3 degrees to 41?  Boy, that's a spread!  

Before I forget yet not related to running, is that the shingles vaccination is covered by Medicare, now.  It used to be $250.

So, has the cold weather and snow done anything positive for the water rations that the farm is getting.

Are you finding that your runs over the past few weeks are less onerous because there's not really a training schedule for the marathon in December, yet?  I know there's probably a schedule that you're following, but no 'nose to the grindstone' because CIM is 9 months away?

Keep at it, youngster!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:24 pm

Congrats on the treadmill run! And the negative split! So sorry for Janice's shingles but thankful it's mild. When I was a freshman in college, my music theory teacher got shingles bad and was out for some time. We get days like that too with big differences between low and high. It's been windy here, too. It pretty much always is, but seems like this is our biggest time for the really high winds. 

enjoy your running!  Running
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:25 am

ounce wrote:3 degrees to 41?  Boy, that's a spread!  

Before I forget yet not related to running, is that the shingles vaccination is covered by Medicare, now.  It used to be $250.

So, has the cold weather and snow done anything positive for the water rations that the farm is getting.

Are you finding that your runs over the past few weeks are less onerous because there's not really a training schedule for the marathon in December, yet?  I know there's probably a schedule that you're following, but no 'nose to the grindstone' because CIM is 9 months away?

Keep at it, youngster!
Marty and I both have our shingles vaccinations.  Marty got the older one that is less effective and hasn't updated.  I have the newer one.  Not sure why Chuck and Janice didn't get theirs.  They didn't get the COVID vaccination but have all the "normal" vaccinations.  Her shingles was very minor.  She is back to running but still not swimming.  

The water situation is interesting.  There has been lots of snow all around us but our basin is at 81% of average precipitation and only 104% of average snowpack.  Not enough to get us out of the drought.  We've had lots of COLD, WINDY days with sprinkles of rain and snow but nothing that adds up to much.  Things look slightly better than last year at this time but not much.

I'm pretty much on the same training schedule that I was on last year now that I've ramped backup after our extended holiday in Australia.  We're just not as worried about hitting the paces as we were last year at this time.  Melissa has given me a bit of grace on days when I'm struggling.  We're working on speed right now and will increase my mileage and transition to endurance later in the year...similar to last year and the year before.
I'm running 5 days a week with two SOS days...one with some speedwork and one longer run.
I'm lifting with Marty 4 days a week and trying to make sure there is some core work on those days.
Marty found a stretching (gravity yoga) program that he wanted to do as he struggles with flexibility.  You are supposed to do it in the evening.  It's 5 days a week of very intense stretching.  We've done 4 weeks and are still going...jury is out.  I do see some improvement but I back off if it gets to intense.

I'm signed up for the following
  • Redmond Run 10K  June 17th
  • Todd Beamer 10K July 4th (social event)
  • Boring Half Sept. 10th
  • CIM Dec 3rd

Julie wrote:Congrats on the treadmill run! And the negative split! So sorry for Janice's shingles but thankful it's mild. When I was a freshman in college, my music theory teacher got shingles bad and was out for some time. We get days like that too with big differences between low and high. It's been windy here, too. It pretty much always is, but seems like this is our biggest time for the really high winds. 

enjoy your running!  Running

Janice has been quite lucky.  I'm glad that I got my shingles vaccination.

Sitting here by the fire trying to decide what to do today.  It was windy yesterday and I thought my fingers were going to freeze.  It's worse today with wind, spitting snow and slippery roads.  I decided not to risk a fall on the slippery roads this morning.  I'll probably move my longer run (only 8 miles) to tomorrow when the weather looks better.  I may be able to get outside to do 4 miles (tomorrows scheduled run) later today.  If all fails I'll clean off the treadmill again.  I'm glad that I'm still running relatively low mileage.  

Looking forward to spring weather...but it will still be windy...

Ultreya
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:31 pm

Spring will come.  I would've liked for Winter to stick around a little longer.

I saw that Low pressure coming ashore, this evening, up where you are.  THAT explains your windy weather.  What altitude are you at?  I was looking at the Winter Storm Warning for Northern Blue Mountains at 4,500 feet and higher.

Oh, I watch short and shorter videos on FB.  Somehow, two different people started showing videos about cleaning cow hooves at a dairy farm.  One was in the US and the other in either Ireland or Scotland (they both sound the same).  I was interested in it and fascinated by how cows get them messed up.  And I thought of you and Marty, when y'all had cattle.  I never knew this business existed.  You'd think they'd clear their own hooves. cyclops

No telling what other kinds of trouble they get into.

Keep enjoying your s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 pm

ounce wrote:Spring will come.  I would've liked for Winter to stick around a little longer.

I saw that Low pressure coming ashore, this evening, up where you are.  THAT explains your windy weather.  What altitude are you at?  I was looking at the Winter Storm Warning for Northern Blue Mountains at 4,500 feet and higher.

Oh, I watch short and shorter videos on FB.  Somehow, two different people started showing videos about cleaning cow hooves at a dairy farm.  One was in the US and the other in either Ireland or Scotland (they both sound the same).  I was interested in it and fascinated by how cows get them messed up.  And I thought of you and Marty, when y'all had cattle.  I never knew this business existed.  You'd think they'd clear their own hooves. cyclops

No telling what other kinds of trouble they get into.

Keep enjoying your s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g.
We're at 2500' in a high desert climate.  We're right in the center of Oregon...in a rain shadow of the Cascades.  One of the driest areas in Oregon...we rely on the snow and rain in the mountains for our water.

Dairy cattle require a bit more care than cow/calf beef operations...especially if the cattle run in large dry areas rather than in confinement.  We did not have to clean or trim hooves.  The rocks took care of that.

As I mentioned in Doug's blog Marty overdid the lifting and stretching and ended up injured.  I was cautious so didn't get injured but I was starting to feel the effects of his demanding schedule.  I didn't feel like I was recovering and it was starting to affect my running.  So we're taking a break as he recovers this week.  And it's showing in my running success this week.

8 miles on Tuesday with a 4 mile progression run.
  • 2 mile warmup @11:28
  • 1st mile @10:42
  • 2nd mile @10:32
  • 3rd mile @10:21
  • 4th mile @ 10:07
  • 2 mile cooldown @ 10:49

Each mile was slightly faster than the suggested pace but I was able to speed up appropriately.  More importantly HR 143.  Cadence 157.

This morning's run was amazing.  It was COLD but sunny and calm.  The goal was a 10 mile negative split.  I started out a bit faster than planned and was nervous that I would have trouble with the negative split.
  1. 11:31
  2. 11:13
  3. 11:13
  4. 11:11
  5. 11:11
  6. 11:13
  7. 11:05
  8. 10:57
  9. 10:44
  10. 10:10

For a 11:03 pace for the run.  HR an impressive (for me) 144 with a max of 160.  Cadence a nice 157.  Cadence dropped a bit during the middle of the run but only a couple steps.

Running was fun this week!  Easy run with Janice planned for tomorrow to finish the week off.

We've enjoyed a few days of COLD nights/mornings but lovely sunny days.  That is scheduled to come to an end Sunday with precipitation on the way.  We'll see if it arrives in the form or rain, snow, or ice.   Shocked

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Those are some right fancy splits on that 10 mile run.  That's a re-assuring run, indeed.

So, how's the gimpy, muscle lifter doing?  Is he slowly feeling more whole, yet?

I have a question about Marty's toes.  The one's that have the plantar plate thing similar to my 2nd toe that's bent and not flat anymore.  I'm getting some redness on that joint that's bent, probably from rubbing against the underside of the shoe's upper.  Does he have a similar redness and what has he done about it to not become a blister or open sore?

Keep it up!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 pm

ounce wrote:Those are some right fancy splits on that 10 mile run.  That's a re-assuring run, indeed.

So, how's the gimpy, muscle lifter doing?  Is he slowly feeling more whole, yet?

I have a question about Marty's toes.  The one's that have the plantar plate thing similar to my 2nd toe that's bent and not flat anymore.  I'm getting some redness on that joint that's bent, probably from rubbing against the underside of the shoe's upper.  Does he have a similar redness and what has he done about it to not become a blister or open sore?

Keep it up!
Yes, I was pretty happy with that 10 miler.  We took a couple days off and drove to the coast.  Terrible weather but our room had an awesome view and the seafood was fantastic.  Drove home today...in a blizzard...so didn't make it home in time to run.  Janice has a group activity planned tomorrow.  I'll run Sunday to make sure I get my miles in this week.

So Marty's muscle strain turned out to be kidney stones.   affraid  He's feeling better but not yet 100%  I've enjoyed the short break from lifting and stretching.  We'll get back on track...cautiously...once he feels better.

Marty had surgery to fix part of his toe problems and he wears a rubber insert between the big toe and next toe to keep them separated.  He does still get a bit of pressure on the toes that stick up slightly.  It doesn't bother him to much...no blisters.  He has learned that it is NOT a good idea to buy shoes small and break them in.  His podiatrist said this choice to wear tight shoes/boots were part of the problem.

Someone forgot to inform the weather that it was Spring.  We're quite pleased with the additional moisture but snow...really?  We're not at 120% of average snow pack but only 83% of average moisture.  Not enough to get us out of the drought but the snow is a positive.  It's already been included in the moisture number but even so it will help later in the irrigation season.

Guess I better unpack and organize dinner.

Janice has a fun group run planned for tomorrow.  We're all running down to the lake and then Norma has organized donuts for us.  Janice will run/walk with Norma so I can run ahead and get my planned 8 miles in and then jog/walk back to finish with them.  Janice is trying for a 15K.  I think Chuck is run/walking with us.  Gordon is walking a shorter route.  Janice organized a ride back up the hill.   Very Happy  Nailan is in China so will miss out on the run and the donuts. Weather is supposed to be chilly but dry and not to windy.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:48 pm

I backed out on the group run that Janice planned for the 25th.  We got snow overnight.  Roads were snow covered a potentially slick.  Janice was determined and I was going to join in but it started snowing again and I knew Marty was nervous. The route is steep, narrow, winding, shaded, and not the safest route when the weather is good.  AND you quickly loose cell service.  I decided my safety was more important.  They survived but I got the impression Janice...and others wished they had delayed the run.  I ended up doing my 8 miles close to home.  Got in some hills.  Got caught in a snow storm.  Got in a good training run.  I missed the filled donuts.  Crying or Very sad

Marty and I are back to strength work.  We've started a new program last week and I'm taking it easy for the first few days.  It's a 5 day a week program (35-45 min per day) but I told Marty that the max I could fit in with my running was 3 days a week so we're just doing the workouts in order and not trying to keep up with the workout calendar.  It's structured much differently than the programs we've done recently.  It alternates between endurance (light weights, more reps) and power (heavier weights, less reps) each week.  And each day is different.  She also uses mostly combination moves.  For example this morning we did our bicep hammer curls while in a reverse lunge...working both the upper body and the legs.  It's different and challenging but I think it's a nice change.  Our old program was getting boring.  Marty isn't 100% but won't wait any longer.  He wants to add back in the nightly stretching as well.  I agreed as long as we aren't as aggressive.  We haven't started stretching yet.

My hamstrings have been a bit tight and the left one is whining a bit.  Not surprised as I've upped my running very slightly in both intensity and distance.  The left hamstring was never completely pain free.  I just think I need to remember to roll, stretch it, do my PT, pay attention to my running form...  It's just one of life's challenges.

The Madras Runners Challenge started today.  It's 3 weeks long.  A different course each week.  You run or walk or ?  Not timed.  It's all about getting people outside and active.  We're decorating the courses with motivational signs and chalk messages this year.  So far we have a lot of interest and people are still signing up.  Free but you have to sign up to be eligible for prizes.   We have $1000 worth of gift cards from local businesses.  I'm in charge of decorating the 2nd course next week.  I walked the first course with Katie this morning and will walk with the grandkids after school on Wednesday.  Janice will want to jog it when she gets home.

Baseball weather here.  Sunshine one minute and snow the next.  And always windy.  Actually pretty typical for spring weather but it's a cold spring.  

We're still building snow in the mountains (147% of average) which is good.  Precipitation is now up to 90%.  The reservoir hasn't recovered from several years of drought.  We've been allotted 35% of our normal water.  It could increase slightly later in the season if the weather cooperates.  I think I mentioned in the past that our basin is unusual in that the water enters the ground and remerges a year or two later in the form of spring water rather than just melting and running down the river.  As a result it takes a year or two for good snow packs to make a difference.  At least we're trending in the right direction.

Melissa is starting to build my mileage and challenge me once a week with faster stuff.  I enjoy the challenge.  I always get a bit melancholy this time of year.  I've been watching Michele, Nick, and Michael train for Boston and will track them and watch the race.  Someday maybe I'll get back there...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:I backed out on the group run that Janice planned for the 25th.  We got snow overnight.  Roads were snow covered a potentially slick.  Janice was determined and I was going to join in but it started snowing again and I knew Marty was nervous. The route is steep, narrow, winding, shaded, and not the safest route when the weather is good.  AND you quickly loose cell service.  I decided my safety was more important.  They survived but I got the impression Janice...and others wished they had delayed the run.  I ended up doing my 8 miles close to home.  Got in some hills.  Got caught in a snow storm.  Got in a good training run.  I missed the filled donuts.  Crying or Very sad

Marty and I are back to strength work.  We've started a new program last week and I'm taking it easy for the first few days.  It's a 5 day a week program (35-45 min per day) but I told Marty that the max I could fit in with my running was 3 days a week so we're just doing the workouts in order and not trying to keep up with the workout calendar.  It's structured much differently than the programs we've done recently.  It alternates between endurance (light weights, more reps) and power (heavier weights, less reps) each week.  And each day is different.  She also uses mostly combination moves.  For example this morning we did our bicep hammer curls while in a reverse lunge...working both the upper body and the legs.  It's different and challenging but I think it's a nice change.  Our old program was getting boring.  Marty isn't 100% but won't wait any longer.  He wants to add back in the nightly stretching as well.  I agreed as long as we aren't as aggressive.  We haven't started stretching yet.

My hamstrings have been a bit tight and the left one is whining a bit.  Not surprised as I've upped my running very slightly in both intensity and distance.  The left hamstring was never completely pain free.  I just think I need to remember to roll, stretch it, do my PT, pay attention to my running form...  It's just one of life's challenges.

The Madras Runners Challenge started today.  It's 3 weeks long.  A different course each week.  You run or walk or ?  Not timed.  It's all about getting people outside and active.  We're decorating the courses with motivational signs and chalk messages this year.  So far we have a lot of interest and people are still signing up.  Free but you have to sign up to be eligible for prizes.   We have $1000 worth of gift cards from local businesses.  I'm in charge of decorating the 2nd course next week.  I walked the first course with Katie this morning and will walk with the grandkids after school on Wednesday.  Janice will want to jog it when she gets home.

Baseball weather here.  Sunshine one minute and snow the next.  And always windy.  Actually pretty typical for spring weather but it's a cold spring.  

We're still building snow in the mountains (147% of average) which is good.  Precipitation is now up to 90%.  The reservoir hasn't recovered from several years of drought.  We've been allotted 35% of our normal water.  It could increase slightly later in the season if the weather cooperates.  I think I mentioned in the past that our basin is unusual in that the water enters the ground and remerges a year or two later in the form of spring water rather than just melting and running down the river.  As a result it takes a year or two for good snow packs to make a difference.  At least we're trending in the right direction.

Melissa is starting to build my mileage and challenge me once a week with faster stuff.  I enjoy the challenge.  I always get a bit melancholy this time of year.  I've been watching Michele, Nick, and Michael train for Boston and will track them and watch the race.  Someday maybe I'll get back there...

Ultreya...
I think I'd like to spend a Winter season somewhere that gets the real thing, but I wouldn't drive in it.  Don't want to crumple any fenders.

Regarding the weights, I'm in the power/strength camp.  The endurance camp is also the 'show' or 'looks' camp.  Since my skin no longer has any elasticity, there's not much point doing endurance for show. But a positive to inelasticity would be that strength will be hidden under all of the skin.

So, has your PT person tweaked anything that you're getting in treatments?

That's a cool program the running bunch in Madras have going.  What are your thoughts on your decoration theme?

Are the water gatekeepers elected or appointed?

Keep that Boston carrot in front of you as you do better.  Did you and Melissa ever chat about a longer long run near the end of your training cycle?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:49 pm

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 5d21ca10
PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 A09a2210

Here's the signs that Jamie's boys made for the first week.  We'll pull them and reuse them for next week.  I also plan to let the kids chalk messages on the trail.  It's called King of the Mountain as it goes up and over the M hill and then returns the same way.  Short...1.8 miles...but steep.  I'll encourage the kids to use the King of the Mountain theme but will let them use their imagination as long as it's not inappropriate.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:07 pm

That's cool!  Best of luck with that.

Maybe add one like "Heartbreak Hill - Dead Ahead"
"There's a bear behind you!"
"Rolling down the hill doesn't count."
"Rolling down the hill counts!"
"Having fun, yet?"
"Who suckered you into doing this?"
"Who told you you're doing this?"
"1.7 miles to go!"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:12 pm

ounce wrote:

Regarding the weights, I'm in the power/strength camp.  The endurance camp is also the 'show' or 'looks' camp.  Since my skin no longer has any elasticity, there's not much point doing endurance for show. But a positive to inelasticity would be that strength will be hidden under all of the skin.

So, has your PT person tweaked anything that you're getting in treatments?

That's a cool program the running bunch in Madras have going.  What are your thoughts on your decoration theme?

Are the water gatekeepers elected or appointed?

Keep that Boston carrot in front of you as you do better.  Did you and Melissa ever chat about a longer long run near the end of your training cycle?

nkrichards wrote:PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 5d21ca10
PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 A09a2210

Here's the signs that Jamie's boys made for the first week.  We'll pull them and reuse them for next week.  I also plan to let the kids chalk messages on the trail.  It's called King of the Mountain as it goes up and over the M hill and then returns the same way.  Short...1.8 miles...but steep.  I'll encourage the kids to use the King of the Mountain theme but will let them use their imagination as long as it's not inappropriate.
 To respond the your other questions...

I'm not currently working with a PT.  Marty and I have chosen a Beachbody program that we access online.  I haven't done much hamstring specific stuff since the marathon.  I recently started rolling again...and I have a sports massage scheduled for this afternoon...trying to be proactive.  I need to start making sure I find time to do my old PT exercises.  My hamstring started grumbling during my speedwork yesterday so I tried to make sure I wasn't over striding.  It settled down okay but is still a bit more grumpy than it has been recently.

The North Unit Irrigation Board is elected.  Marty was on the board for 25 years but did not run for election this winter.  It's gotten to political.  They do have some control but the state has pretty strict rules so their hands are tied.  And the water they are required to save for the spotted from (Endangered Species) has really complicated things.

I haven't mentioned a longer run to Melissa.  I did notice that Michele ran an 18 miler during her Boston buildup.  We'll see how things are going once we get into marathon training.

Better get ready for my massage.  He comes to the house as the gym he was working with has closed...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:13 pm

ounce wrote:That's cool!  Best of luck with that.

Maybe add one like "Heartbreak Hill - Dead Ahead"
"There's a bear behind you!"
"Rolling down the hill doesn't count."
"Rolling down the hill counts!"
"Having fun, yet?"
"Who suckered you into doing this?"
"Who told you you're doing this?"
"1.7 miles to go!"
Love those suggestions!!  Royce mentioned bringing a sled for the downhill section.   affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:53 pm

Boy did I wake up sore this morning...as expected.  Mike really got in deep yesterday.  It was painful and still is.  If that doesn't get in and break up the scar tissue and get the blood flowing nothing will!! What a Face

I decided to drive into town to run this morning...easy 6 miles with 4x:15 strides during the final mile.  Run went well especially considering the residual soreness from my massage.  AND...I finished near the coffee shop just as the exercise group was finishing up and sitting down for coffee.   Shots  Coincidence?  Nope.  Good planning!

Have a great weekend. sunny
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:11 pm

and donuts.

Enjoy Easter.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:36 pm

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 43cdca10
We all had fun setting up the course for this week.  Our favorite message...thanks for the suggestion Doug.

Helpers were daughter Katie, Granddaughter Abby, and Grandsons Owen & Royce.

Walked the course with Janice and friends today.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

ounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:52 pm

They look great and even happy to be there!

Welcome on the suggestion.  Just thought of another one..."Being dragged counts"  which begets..."Being carried counts."  All sorts of variation with "Being _____ counts."
"Judges are cheap to bribe."

I gather that's Madras (can't fool me), but how much of Madras is in the photo?  And what is the mountain range in the background?

Can I have a peanut butter and jelly?

Hope y'all had fun.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:31 am

ounce wrote:They look great and even happy to be there!

Welcome on the suggestion.  Just thought of another one..."Being dragged counts"  which begets..."Being carried counts."  All sorts of variation with "Being _____ counts."
"Judges are cheap to bribe."

I gather that's Madras (can't fool me), but how much of Madras is in the photo?  And what is the mountain range in the background?

Can I have a peanut butter and jelly?

Hope y'all had fun.
Rained a bit after we chalked the trail but I walked with Janice and friends yesterday and our messages survived.  We got more rain last night...and may get snow tonight but I'm not going to worry about it.  We moved the signs and they will survive the weather.  We had a great turnout last week...183 participants.  That's a huge increase.  The Warm Springs middle school track coaches organized a bus for the kids and brought them up to do the course last Friday.  That's awesome!  Warm Springs is the nearby Indian Reservation.  The kids attend Madras High School.  It's great to see some positive interaction.

Yes, that's Madras in the background...maybe half the town showing.  It's the largest town in the county with a population of 7500 or so...maybe a bit more.  The county is quite poor and very unhealthy...which is why we're trying to encourage activity and offering it for free.

Those "mountains" are just hills...Gray Butte, Grizzly, Juniper Butte.  The actual mountains...Jefferson, Washington and Three Sisters are off to the west...right of the photo.

No PB&J on the menu today but Janice is taking me to lunch for my birthday.   bounce  Officially Medicare age today but my coverage started the first of the month and I'm busy getting all my annual stuff done now that I have better coverage...at a significant savings.

Heading out shortly for a tempo run before I get myself cleaned up for lunch.  Will run from home as it's more efficient than driving someplace...provided the gravel road isn't to muddy.  

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:43 pm

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding - Page 6 28536510
Now I remember why I love to run!  What a gorgeous day...and an awesome run.  As you know I've been struggling to find motivation and embrace running goals.  The nasty weather we've had hasn't helped.  But...

Tuesday was my short tempo run...5 miles w 3@ HMP which should be 9:53 for me.  Melissa has been encouraging me to give myself some wiggle room on the paces.
I ran 5.5 miles w/3 @ 9:49.  Splits were 9:56, 9:52, 9:39.  I had to work at it but I hit the pace!!

Then today I drove to the overlook.  I had a negative split 10 miles on the schedule.  I ran into a friend who I haven't seen in months and stopped for a long chat near the end of the 4th mile...and then needed a bathroom stop but I ran well.  I felt good.  And I had fun!
10 miles @10:57 Splits 11:29,11:14,11:24,11:07,11:14,11:08,10:52,10:46,10:33,9:44.  Woohoo bounce

Did I mention that I love running... Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Michele "1L" Keane and Mark B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:10 pm

I struggle a bit before/during/after Boston each year.  This year was no exception.  But it is what it is.  I just have to work hard to get back there...and I will!

I had some nice runs this week.  My 1 mi-2 mi-1 mi on Tuesday went quite well.  I hit my paces even though I hadn't slept well the night before.  HR wasn't great but decent.  Cadence a bit low for that pace but also decent.  My long run on Friday was extended to 12 miles this week.  I still managed to get my negative split and kept a good pace @11:02.  Pleased that my HR stayed relatively low (145).  A bit disappointed in a 156 cadence.  I'll need to remember to concentrate on that.  It was hard to concentrate with the eagles soaring overhead!!!!!

Mario had an event in Bend on Wednesday.  A private showing of his film "Faith in the Future".  It was pretty cool to mingle with the elite runners...and Mario's family.  The movie highlighted some of the Madras kids we know through our participation in Workout Wednesday.  Brooks will release it to the public later this year.

I guided Janice in a 10K this morning.  She struggled more than normal.  I'm not sure how long she's going to be able to continue to do this.  Part of it is her vision problems but her fitness is also not at good as it was last year.  We normally run one of only 3 or 4 local routes during training.  I think that she has them memorized and knows where the uneven areas are.  Not the case during an out of the area event.  And I think the shadows also made it difficult.  But we had great weather and had a fun morning.  Norma also ran...she's even slower than Janice which always makes Janice happy.   bounce

Pooped after 12 miles yesterday and 6.2 with Janice this morning.  Looking forward to a rest day.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:14 pm

That's a beautiful photo!  Would the desert looking land in the foreground be white from snow in, say, February?  A beautiful bunch of scenery sure makes the run go easier.

I have no doubt that you'll find the motivation as the days go by.  Just let your body heal up on the non-motivational days, when stats are not what they should be.  I think that'll help you out when Maggie Motivation takes up residence for the Summer.

Keep your legs happy!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 16, 2023 11:58 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Welcome back!    My friend Dave is looking to run CIM next year, so I may be out there as his sherpa and spectator.   It would be fun to see you - and Marty? and maybe Katie too?   I will not be running it as I'll be running XC nationals a week later in Tallahassee.

Rest up!  Ease back into it and I'm glad you had fun.  Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my list even if I have to go there by myself
Hey Michele, great to hear from you.  It's fun to follow you on Strava but it's just not the same.  Very Happy
It would be fun to see you in Sacramento.  Marty will most likely drive me down.  Katie will accompany me if/when I make it back to Boston.

Any suggestions that you can offer as Melissa and I try to figure out changes we can make in my training to help me successfully run a BQ?  I'm really struggling mentally to figure out what I should do differently...or even if that's a reasonable goal at this point in my life.  I know you work with Melissa and understand her training philosophy.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I really respect your ability and your experience.  

Speaking of experience, I know that you were able to successfully train and run through some pretty stressful times recently.  I'm not in a good place right now.  Part of me is reacting by running more and running harder to try and deal with the stress but part of me recognizes that the stresses I'm dealing with probably definitely contributed to my tough race at CIM.  Maybe I need to settle down and make sure running is helping me deal with the stress...or at least not adding to it.

So here goes...I'm going to get this off my chest and then I'm going to move forward with whatever life hands to me.

I mentioned that my Mom passed in mid-November just a few weeks before CIM and our overseas trip.  I think I also mentioned that I'm her executor.  What I didn't mention is that her estate is large, complicated, and that there are some family issues that had been bubbling up along the edges the last year or two.  I have a good attorney and I am committed to doing the right thing which is preserving family relationships even if I'm not confident Mom understood what she was being asked to do.  Those family relationships were more important to her than the money and I want to honor that.

That's the easy part.  Kevin and family came home to farm with us nearly 10 years ago.  His family has grown to 5 kids!  Our assets and our futures have become more and more entwined as the years pass.  We are dependent on his labor and technical expertise.  He is dependent on our experience and financial support.  It hasn't been the perfect partnership but we never questioned the future of that partnership.  I think 5 kids, the most severe drought in history, nearly historic inflation, and more... all combined to make him question his ability to thrive in the partnership.  His answer to the problem was to grow the farm bigger.  We balked and did not and still do not understand how that will provide him with more time for his kids but are especially unwilling to put the current farm at risk to go in debt to double the size.  Relationships have been strained since late last summer.  They reached a boiling point this fall and boiled over while we were overseas.  Emotions are high and we can't convince him to slow down and work toward a succession/separation plan that is mutually beneficial.  He insists we make decisions...immediately...that allow him to double the size of the farm and end our participation in the farm operation.  That puts our financial future in jeopardy.  Not to mention what it does to the relationship with the grandkids.  It's getting more and more nasty by the day and we don't know how/when it will be resolved.  

I pretended for a long time that I could handle the stress of Mom's decline and passing.  And that I could handle the stress of farming with our son during a drought.  And that I could run successfully at the same time.  Obviously I couldn't.  I guess I'm human after all.

I probably said more than I should have but it's said and now I intend to deal with whatever life brings and be the best runner that I can be under the circumstances.

Ultreya...
I decided to finish off this blog by reposting an earlier post.  It helps explain where I'm at and also needs an update.

Things are better.  Still very stressful but better.  Kevin is still determined to grow the farm and has formed a partnership with his brother.  Marty and I will farm independently on the farm land we originally purchased when we moved here in 1989.  We'll give up the intensive vegetable seed crops and grow grass seed, hay and grain.  We can handle that on our own.  And we'll decide what we want to do as we continue to slow down.  It's been tough but we are now at the point where we realize that we probably weren't happy and the separation is probably for the best, but we do wish it could have happened a bit more amicably.  The good news is Marty and I are starting to find things that we're excited about and planning for our future.  That has helped us accept the situation...and helped the relationship with Kevin and his kids.  We still need to get through the end of the year and handle some tricky financial issues but we have a positive attitude and are excited about our future. 
ounce wrote:That's a beautiful photo!  Would the desert looking land in the foreground be white from snow in, say, February?  A beautiful bunch of scenery sure makes the run go easier.

I have no doubt that you'll find the motivation as the days go by.  Just let your body heal up on the non-motivational days, when stats are not what they should be.  I think that'll help you out when Maggie Motivation takes up residence for the Summer.

Keep your legs happy!
I had to make sure I answered Doug's question before I ended this blog.  Where I'm standing in the photo is essentially the same elevation as where the farm is located.  It's less than 10 miles from home.  We do get snow at this elevation but it doesn't usually stick around for long.  And remember we're high desert...low precipitation...so we don't get a lot of snow.  The mountains in the background have some snow year round and the foothills often have snow most of the winter....except in drought years.  

Officially closing down this blog.  I'll return in the morning to start a new one.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6