365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 24 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 am

It was 61 degrees, this morning and, with the SE wind over the past 36 hours, lots of humidity.  The humidity isn't a factor because it takes the nip out of the air.  As threatened earlier, I upped the cadence from 162 to 164.

It was a labored run from the get go, which is verified by seeing the cadence graph, but I can't post it here.  Once again, though, the second mile was easier on the legs than the first.  Maybe that's a 'warmup' thing that I don't do, other than walking quicker to wake the heart up.  Yes, I still do that.  At the turnaround point, I was more winded than ever.  Clearly, I won't be bumping up the cadence for two weeks (running just TTh, next week, then MWF the following week).

2 miles, 27:56, 13:41 pace, 132 avg bpm, 142 max bpm, 162 avg cadence
1.  13:42, 130 bpm, 162 spm
2.  13:39, 135 bpm, 161 spm

HR Zones
Zone 4 (144-161)    0
Zone 3 (126-142)  25:01
Zone 2 (108-125)   2:04

Poor thing, not a lot of hammock time, this morning, for the heart.  But all of that time in zone 3!  The HR graph is a slow, yet consistent, ascent to 142 bpm.  Great that the HR strap is working nice, as there were no errant spikes in HR.

Reviewing the stats, other than HR, it doesn't look like this was a difficult run!  It was far from easy and the brain was cracking the whip.  Imagine an old west movie stagecoach with the brain being the driver and the heart, lungs, and legs being the horses, being chased by some injuns.  This wasn't an all-out run, yet almost felt like it.

I'm glad that I've been able to advance the cadence, as I have.  This advance, though, was tougher to execute than the numbers would indicate.  Have a good weekend.  Thanks for the comments.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am

ounce wrote:It's this kind of progress that helps the motivation.

-30-

I have some sad news about my alarm clock.  It is mute.  My faithful waker upper of 50 years is mute.  As a result, I didn't make it to the gym, this week.  I have now recruited a couple of 'old' phones to play the part.  I will re-purpose the clock to be in the living room as The Clock. Dead

So, let's toast 5 times to my dearly muted waker upper. Shots
Dead Shots  Sounds like you've figured out a work around and a new purpose for the mute alarm.
ounce wrote:It was 61 degrees, this morning and, with the SE wind over the past 36 hours, lots of humidity.  The humidity isn't a factor because it takes the nip out of the air.  As threatened earlier, I upped the cadence from 162 to 164.

It was a labored run from the get go, which is verified by seeing the cadence graph, but I can't post it here.  Once again, though, the second mile was easier on the legs than the first.  Maybe that's a 'warmup' thing that I don't do, other than walking quicker to wake the heart up.  Yes, I still do that.  At the turnaround point, I was more winded than ever.  Clearly, I won't be bumping up the cadence for two weeks (running just TTh, next week, then MWF the following week).

HR Zones
Zone 4 (144-161)    0

Poor thing, not a lot of hammock time, this morning, for the heart.  But all of that time in zone 3!  The HR graph is a slow, yet consistent, ascent to 142 bpm.  Great that the HR strap is working nice, as there were no errant spikes in HR.

Reviewing the stats, other than HR, it doesn't look like this was a difficult run!  It was far from easy and the brain was cracking the whip.  Imagine an old west movie stagecoach with the brain being the driver and the heart, lungs, and legs being the horses, being chased by some injuns.  This wasn't an all-out run, yet almost felt like it.

I'm glad that I've been able to advance the cadence, as I have.  This advance, though, was tougher to execute than the numbers would indicate.  Have a good weekend.  Thanks for the comments.
That's an impressive run and very impressive cadence. cheers  Worked the heart and lungs a bit as well.  You can't improve if you don't huff and puff a bit once in a while.  Nice!!

Just a thought...I wonder if your running progress is related to your lack of time in the gym this week.  Slightly more rested??

Curious what your SL was for these faster cadence runs.  You obviously are much better at upping the cadence than I am.  Will there come a point where you can maintain the cadence and bring the SL back up...while maintaining the proper foot strike...and really fly.   bounce bounce

Enjoying watching you progress!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:08 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:It's this kind of progress that helps the motivation.

-30-

I have some sad news about my alarm clock.  It is mute.  My faithful waker upper of 50 years is mute.  As a result, I didn't make it to the gym, this week.  I have now recruited a couple of 'old' phones to play the part.  I will re-purpose the clock to be in the living room as The Clock. Dead

So, let's toast 5 times to my dearly muted waker upper. Shots
Dead Shots  Sounds like you've figured out a work around and a new purpose for the mute alarm.
ounce wrote:It was 61 degrees, this morning and, with the SE wind over the past 36 hours, lots of humidity.  The humidity isn't a factor because it takes the nip out of the air.  As threatened earlier, I upped the cadence from 162 to 164.

HR Zones
Zone 4 (144-161)    0

That's an impressive run and very impressive cadence. cheers  Worked the heart and lungs a bit as well.  You can't improve if you don't huff and puff a bit once in a while.  Nice!!

Just a thought...I wonder if your running progress is related to your lack of time in the gym this week.  Slightly more rested??

Curious what your SL was for these faster cadence runs.  You obviously are much better at upping the cadence than I am.  Will there come a point where you can maintain the cadence and bring the SL back up...while maintaining the proper foot strike...and really fly.   bounce bounce

Enjoying watching you progress!!
I tell ya, I have no clue as to why (other than the stagecoach driver) my splits are hanging in there, my cadence is above what usually happens at a cadence increase, my cadence is within a step in the splits.  I get tired by the last half mile.  But then I say 'giddy up' and I respond.

Nancy, I don't think not lifting this week had much of an impact.  95% of my routine is upper body.  One thing that I am doing now is taking a nap around 5 or 6 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  But that goal is to not fall asleep during Bible class.  A 1 hour nap keeps me awake for a 1 hour class.  I will tend to doze around 1 p.m.

Stride length isn't lengthening, although my 1st mile SL is usually around 69 and today it was 74.  I've never been the runner who sees any SL above 80.  From time to time, I can lengthen my stride a bit by twisting my hip enough to allow the leg to go back farther a bit.  But I would consciously and deliberately have to create the muscle memory for that rear extension to be rote.  Hmmm.

But it does seem, at this point, that alternating weeks on which activity gets 3 days of love and which gets 2 days of love is working.  I know at some point, I'll have to crown running as the 3 day/week activity.  I will try a week where I do both on MWF.  I just want to see what'll happen...running first, then lifting.

Thanks for the comments, Nancy. This plan seems to be working, so far.  

Oh, another plus is that I'm not having any pain or discomfort.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm

Monday was a lifting day and a cold front blew through.  When I cranked up the car, the cooler air had just started and the temp on the radio was 74 degrees, then it was 63 when I arrived, and 55 when I left.  Lifting went well, as I slowly creep up on where I was in November.

-30-

This morning, it was 48 degrees with a good chance of it raining on me at some point during the 2 mile run.  Luckily, it didn't start until I was at 1.95 miles.  Nancy, this run caused me to re-think your comment from last week about lifting affecting the running.  You might be on to something.  Or, at least, it gave me a reason why the run was seemingly tougher.

Cadence continued to be 164.

1.96 miles, 27:34, 13:51 pace, 125 avg bpm, 131 max bpm, 161 avg cadence, 73 avg stride length
1.  14:09, 125 spm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:25, 126 bpm, 160 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
zone 3 (126-131)  15:32
zone 2 (108-125)  11:28

Well, with those HR figures, the heart is clearly back in the hammock.  The lungs are not laid back at all, for now.  Sometimes the stats don't mesh with the on the road feeling.  I wasn't as much the stagecoach driver and the pier held up for mile one (surprising), then did not as much for the 2nd mile.  I guess to just keep on working on it and become more of the driver in order to push myself along.

Maybe increase to 166 at the end of next week.  Winter can't be too much longer, here in Southeast Texas.  A freeze on Saturday (durn near mid-March) happens on Saturday.  Have to ascend while the weather is beneficial for higher numbers of cadence.

Thanks and come again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 pm

ounce wrote:Monday was a lifting day and a cold front blew through.  When I cranked up the car, the cooler air had just started and the temp on the radio was 74 degrees, then it was 63 when I arrived, and 55 when I left.  Lifting went well, as I slowly creep up on where I was in November.

-30-

This morning, it was 48 degrees with a good chance of it raining on me at some point during the 2 mile run.  Luckily, it didn't start until I was at 1.95 miles.  Nancy, this run caused me to re-think your comment from last week about lifting affecting the running.  You might be on to something.  Or, at least, it gave me a reason why the run was seemingly tougher.

Cadence continued to be 164.

1.96 miles, 27:34, 13:51 pace, 125 avg bpm, 131 max bpm, 161 avg cadence, 73 avg stride length
1.  14:09, 125 spm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:25, 126 bpm, 160 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
zone 3 (126-131)  15:32
zone 2 (108-125)  11:28

Well, with those HR figures, the heart is clearly back in the hammock.  The lungs are not laid back at all, for now.  Sometimes the stats don't mesh with the on the road feeling.  I wasn't as much the stagecoach driver and the pier held up for mile one (surprising), then did not as much for the 2nd mile.  I guess to just keep on working on it and become more of the driver in order to push myself along.

Maybe increase to 166 at the end of next week.  Winter can't be too much longer, here in Southeast Texas.  A freeze on Saturday (durn near mid-March) happens on Saturday.  Have to ascend while the weather is beneficial for higher numbers of cadence.

Thanks and come again.
I do find that any relatively hard strength work does affect my run if I don't rest enough.  Leg day obviously makes it tougher but even upper body days have an affect.  We use our entire body...including our core...when we run.  But that doesn't mean that I don't do strength work.  I often do it in the morning and then run later.  But I am aware of the extra fatigue and I make sure that I cut back and then stop completely several days before a race.  Don't be afraid to continue lifting...just be aware that when you do take a break from lifting your runs may be a bit better.

I saw your run on Strava and noticed that you did fall off the pier a bit at the end of the first mile but climbed right back on and held on pretty well till the very end of the run.  Nice job!

Enjoy the cooler weather while you can.  We have a bit of snow in our prediction for tonight and then a low of 16 Thursday morning.  It must be working it's way in your direction.

Enjoy the cooler weather while you can!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:22 pm

Looks like you struggled a bit to hold cadence and pace during the second mile this morning but still a pretty solid run in my opinion.  Overall cadence and pace were both decent...maybe not something to cheer about but decent.  You can't expect every run to be an improvement over the previous ones.  Progress is not a straight line.

What's the story on Wednesday's short run.  Hopefully it was shortened due to something simple like weather or fatigue and not a fall or anything serious.

Hope all is well and you're enjoying life.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:40 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks like you struggled a bit to hold cadence and pace during the second mile this morning but still a pretty solid run in my opinion.  Overall cadence and pace were both decent...maybe not something to cheer about but decent.  You can't expect every run to be an improvement over the previous ones.  Progress is not a straight line.

What's the story on Wednesday's short run.  Hopefully it was shortened due to something simple like weather or fatigue and not a fall or anything serious.

Hope all is well and you're enjoying life.
Yes, on the struggle, but....

Let me sort of re-state the week.  Monday went well.  58 degrees and 164 cadence and I ran it non-stop, which is the first time during this cadence advance.  A little slower overall than the prior runs, but I stopped for those, at the halfway point.

Tuesday...weights...a normal 70 minute workout.

Wednesday - 0.54 miles.  Fatigued, but in two weeks (the next running MWF), I will try to rule out a reason.  Is it fatigue from lifting the prior day OR could I take a nap on Tuesday afternoon and be fit as a fiddle on Wednesday morning? The Shadow knows.  

Thursday - alarm clock operator error.  No lifting.

Friday - The past couple of cadence increases have been done on Fridays.  AND it was 70 degrees, this morning.  The thought was to increase the cadence to 166 as a guinea pig for the 70 degree weather.  This may be the last increase that I can do, since the warmer mornings will be coming shortly.

So, yes, Nancy, this morning's run was a struggle due to the 70 degrees and the cadence increase.  One success was getting the heart out of the hammock.

2 miles, 27:39, 14:05 pace, 131 avg hr, 158 avg cadence
1.  13:58, 111 bpm, 161 spm, 73 sl
2.  14:12, 131 bpm, 154 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
Zone 4 (144-154)    3:42
zone 3 (126-143)   16:54
zone 2 (108-125)    5:16

A 154 2nd mile cadence was more than I was feeling.  But, at 70 degrees, that was good.  2 days of rest also factored in.  Today's run sort of made me think that 166 would have to be the cadence for the marathon.  I could increase another step further out, maybe.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Tonight, we have the makings of a real Spring storm.  You know, winds, hail, straight line winds, tornados, and lots of rain.  It's supposed to clear out by 8 on Tuesday morning.  That would mess with my Tuesday run.  What's a boy to do?

2.01 miles, 28:06, 14:03 pace, 127 avg bpm, 154 max bpm,160 avg spm, 72 stride length
1.  14:03, 121 bpm, 163 spm, 69 sl
2.  14:03, 134 bpm, 156 spm, 74 sl

It was 56 degrees.

HR zones
zone 4 (144-154)   1:56
zone 3 (126-143)  14:06
zone 2 (108-125)  11:06

I think 166 cadence will be a good place to train, unless I get some bug that says, "Just 2 more steps.  It's only 2!"

There's a commonality in all of these 2 mile runs.  The actual stepping and its corresponding numbers haven't seemed to be in sync.  The numbers seem to look like it's less effort than it really is.  This ain't easy!  I'm glad the steps are as high as they are, but I'm not guessing they're ever that high during the run.

So, I think I need to move along at 166 for a while.  Get to a point to where 166 feels more effortless, then advance the mileage.

Now for those of you who have been following my routine of doing X on Y day, etc.  Since it's supposed to be raining around the 4 a.m. hour and possibly some real rain at that, I'm going to go lift weights, this afternoon.  Never done that.  I've done a back-to-back in the same morning.  I'm not usually an afternoon lifting person because there are so many people getting off work that go to the gym, which causes me to have to adjust my routine.  5 a.m. is a good time for me.

Ought to be interesting.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:39 pm

ounce wrote:Tonight, we have the makings of a real Spring storm.  You know, winds, hail, straight line winds, tornados, and lots of rain.  It's supposed to clear out by 8 on Tuesday morning.  That would mess with my Tuesday run.  What's a boy to do?

2.01 miles, 28:06, 14:03 pace, 127 avg bpm, 154 max bpm,160 avg spm, 72 stride length
1.  14:03, 121 bpm, 163 spm, 69 sl
2.  14:03, 134 bpm, 156 spm, 74 sl

It was 56 degrees.

HR zones
zone 4 (144-154)   1:56
zone 3 (126-143)  14:06
zone 2 (108-125)  11:06

I think 166 cadence will be a good place to train, unless I get some bug that says, "Just 2 more steps.  It's only 2!"

There's a commonality in all of these 2 mile runs.  The actual stepping and its corresponding numbers haven't seemed to be in sync.  The numbers seem to look like it's less effort than it really is.  This ain't easy!  I'm glad the steps are as high as they are, but I'm not guessing they're ever that high during the run.

So, I think I need to move along at 166 for a while.  Get to a point to where 166 feels more effortless, then advance the mileage.

Now for those of you who have been following my routine of doing X on Y day, etc.  Since it's supposed to be raining around the 4 a.m. hour and possibly some real rain at that, I'm going to go lift weights, this afternoon.  Never done that.  I've done a back-to-back in the same morning.  I'm not usually an afternoon lifting person because there are so many people getting off work that go to the gym, which causes me to have to adjust my routine.  5 a.m. is a good time for me.

Ought to be interesting.  Thanks.
I loved the graph of your cadence on Strava.  I could just picture you struggling to get back up on the pier during the second mile...making it...and then splash...in the water again.  But you pulled yourself out for a strong finish.  Nice! cheers  And the HR acknowledged your effort.  I agree with your thoughts on keeping the cadence here until it becomes more natural/effortless.  Then extending out the mileage will be a more reasonable goal.

Sounds like a humdinger of a storm.  Stay safe.  Happy lifting this afternoon.  Hope it wasn't to crowded.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:01 pm

The storm was everything the models predicted it to be.  Even to the point of intensifying at the advertised location and only 30 minutes late.  
Glad I went to the gym, yesterday evening.  The payoff is 7 days of 70' to low 80s sunshine.  Lows in the 40s for the rest of the week.

There were a lot of people at the gym, but many went to do yoga or similar and some went to play basketball.  So, the inconvenience was minimal, although I hoarded two 2-1/2 pound plates for about 20 minutes because they're small and I needed both of them for the different bench press machines.  Surprisingly, it was an easier workout than in the mornings because, I believe, my muscles had been warmed up for the whole day.  But that's not a big enough reason to come 12 hours later.

This morning, I woke up with no soreness, which was surprising.

On something else, I had the occasion to look at the stress test report from last June.  I noticed a number that I hadn't reviewed.  " >=10.5 METS"

I did a search of the term and found this title of a report from NIH - "
Achieving an Exercise Workload of ≥10 METS Predicts a Very Low Risk of Inducible Ischemia:

Ischemia is blockage.  Also, METS is a changeable figure.  1 MET is resting or sitting.  During the test, I attained 3.4 mph at 14 degrees for a MET of 10.5 and a HR of 164.  A firefighter could hit 12.5.  Nancy, you would probably be higher than I am.  Anything below 7 on a stress test 'should cause concern.'  METS is an objective effort measurement.  

That was a pretty cool nugget to discover. 

Tomorrow is running another 2 at 166.  Monday's 166 run was a little better than Friday's 1st 166 run.  I expect Wednesday's to be better, still.  Thanks for the comments, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:56 pm

ounce wrote:The storm was everything the models predicted it to be.  Even to the point of intensifying at the advertised location and only 30 minutes late.  
Glad I went to the gym, yesterday evening.  The payoff is 7 days of 70' to low 80s sunshine.  Lows in the 40s for the rest of the week.

There were a lot of people at the gym, but many went to do yoga or similar and some went to play basketball.  So, the inconvenience was minimal, although I hoarded two 2-1/2 pound plates for about 20 minutes because they're small and I needed both of them for the different bench press machines.  Surprisingly, it was an easier workout than in the mornings because, I believe, my muscles had been warmed up for the whole day.  But that's not a big enough reason to come 12 hours later.

On something else, I had the occasion to look at the stress test report from last June.  I noticed a number that I hadn't reviewed.  " >=10.5 METS"

Achieving an Exercise Workload of ≥10 METS Predicts a Very Low Risk of Inducible Ischemia:

Ischemia is blockage.  Also, METS is a changeable figure.  1 MET is resting or sitting.  During the test, I attained 3.4 mph at 14 degrees for a MET of 10.5 and a HR of 164.  A firefighter could hit 12.5.  Nancy, you would probably be higher than I am.  Anything below 7 on a stress test 'should cause concern.'  METS is an objective effort measurement.  

Tomorrow is running another 2 at 166.  Monday's 166 run was a little better than Friday's 1st 166 run.  I expect Wednesday's to be better, still.  Thanks for the comments, Nancy.
Glad to hear you survived the storm...and an evening visit to the gym...with minimal problems.  I heard there were a lot of power outages in Houston and wondered how you fared.  Thanks for updating so quickly.

I don't remember my stress test numbers...I'll have to look them up.  funny how we sometimes miss things on the first reading and catch them later.  Encouraging numbers.   cheers

Enjoy the weather.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:15 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:The storm was everything the models predicted it to be.  Even to the point of intensifying at the advertised location and only 30 minutes late.  

Glad to hear you survived the storm...and an evening visit to the gym...with minimal problems.  I heard there were a lot of power outages in Houston and wondered how you fared.  Thanks for updating so quickly.

I don't remember my stress test numbers...I'll have to look them up.  funny how we sometimes miss things on the first reading and catch them later.  Encouraging numbers.   cheers

Enjoy the weather.
Thanks.  Yeah, that was a rocking storm.  I was prepared for a power outage by having flashlights stationed inside the apt.

I, now, remember why I didn't look up the 10.5 METS.  Because the very next sentence said the 164 bpm was 105% of a normal 64 yo man.

-30-

It was 49 degrees, this morning, with not much of a wind.  My expectations for the run ended up as "all hat and no cattle."  

2.01 miles, 28:02, 14:06 pace, 125 avg bpm, 136 max bpm, 157 avg spm, 75 stride length avg
1.  14:07, 120 bpm, 156 spm, 75 sl
2.  13:55, 130 bpm, 158 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
zone 3 (126-136)  17:43
zone 2 (108-125)   8:05

The cadence chart (aka running the pier) shows a tale of two runs.  The first mile was full of 'can I?' as the run wasn't starting off well.  The second mile was full of 'have to' and was a longer run on the pier.  In other words, the brain took the reins for the second mile.

Not quite sure why.  After all, I didn't exercise yesterday.  I did go see "The Batman" 5:25 show and had a medium popcorn, so that was the only out of the normal activity.  Oh, well.  Right now, I feel about the same as other runs.  Tired, waiting on my water to boil for tea, and looks like a nap after work.

I guess that I'll just note it and move on.  Continuing with the clear skies.  Thursday will be lifting and Friday will be another 2 miles, where I expect a more settling into the 166 cadence.

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:20 am

Did the lifting, this morning.  

I've increased weights on a few machines, finally.  Patience paid off, finally.  Even started on a new machine, without removing a machine, which means I'm at the gym longer.  Right now, I can be at the gym a little longer.  But, I'm going to have to do some 'machine not necessary' stuff at home.  Habitually, I don't do gym stuff at home because when I'm home, it's my opportunity to do nothing.  Seems like that might change.  I'm talking push ups, sit ups, and leg lifts.

We'll see.  Tomorrow morning will be 2 at 166.  I would like to start increasing distances on April 4, but would settle for April 11.

Still, no niggles.  Please have your parking ticket validated at the front.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:19 pm

Friday's desire to run 2 at 166, as the 4th run at that cadence, figuratively fell on its face.  Only 1.5 miles, which was a mile further than when I thought I should stop.

Over the weekend, I had a long meeting with myself.  With this cadence advance training I've been doing for the past weeks, by the 4th run at the new cadence, I see improvement.  Enough improvement to be comfortable advancing 2 more steps.  I started at 157.  As mentioned, this was the 4th at 166 and I'm not seeing the advance.  Is it something that I should give another week to see if I can break through the log jam?

I decided 'no' because the days are going by and the temps will start to rise, so I need to decide on a cadence for the next 10 months.  That cadence is 164.  In 2019, it was 164 for the 2020 virtual Houston Marathon.

Now, weight training.  I hit it a bit harder on Thursday than ever before.  A one hour or 90 minute afternoon nap doesn't make it easier to run 166, the next morning.  So at the point to where I am finally recovering to the weights I was lifting back in November, is it time to cut that back, too?  Yes.  I haven't quite decided on minutes, but it'll either be 30 or 45 minutes.  It had been around 70-80 minutes.  I truly hope that will be enough of a reduction.  However, I figure I'll be re-visiting my time lifting, as the miles increase.  One option would be maintenance lifting, rather than strengthening lifting.

I'll just have to see if the body adapts and doesn't lose any more energy than I'd like for it to lose.

So this was the first run at the reduced 164.  It was 63 degrees, which wasn't bad for being in the 60s.

2 miles, 27:17, 13:35 pace, 126 avg HR, 143 max HR, 161 avg cadence, 74 avg SL
1.  13:50, 121 bpm, 162 spm
2.  13:17, 130 bpm, 160 spm

HR zones
zone 3 (126-143)  18:11
zone 2 (108-125)    5:56

Even though it's only 2 steps difference, I could tell the difference between 164 and 166.  Usually I can't, but I sure could today.  

I also had a new pair of shoes on, which doesn't matter a whole lot except for the heel area hasn't been scuffed up enough, ergo a little more drag than usual.  I bought this Kinvara 11 on clearance, 12 months ago when the Kinvara 12s were released.  Last week, I bought a pair of the 12s on clearance because the 13s were released.  I expect to buy one more pair of 11s, when the price drops $20 in a month or so.

Back to the run, I sure didn't think I was moving at a 13:17 pace.  I was just working on step turnover.  I felt I wasn't maintaining the cadence well enough at ~mile 1.5, so I concentrated on doing 164.  If I could copy the map, you could see that.  The first mile was no way conversational, but I know it'll become easier.  I just KNEW my HR was higher than the avg 121, but c'est la vie.  Guess that means my heart is in full support of the 164!  Bah!  The lungs and legs will catch up, then I can up the miles.

Did I bother to mention that I'm going to set MWF as running days and TTh as lifting days?

Yup, today must mark the 1st day of marathon training. 292 days to go until January 15, 2023.  I won't create a countdown clock nor mention how many days to go.  Come October, I'll probably mention weeks to go, sporadically.

Next step is to get to where I can run 2 at 164, non-stop, then advance to 3 miles.  Maybe in a week.

That's the news.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm not ignoring you Doug...well maybe I am...but not intentionally.  I'm just busy. Embarassed

It's funny how we perceive our runs and analyze them.  

My first thought when I saw your March 23rd run was that it was a good run which showed that you were successfully adjusting to the cadence.  Yes, the average was a bit lower but the lows weren't as low.  In other words it didn't appear that you fell so far off the pier as drastically.

And I was curious why you shortened your March 25th run.  Pace and cadence both seemed to be holding up well.  I understand now.

Boy was your run yesterday impressive!!  Both pace and cadence were awesome.  I do think that dropping the gnome back to 164 was the trick.  Maybe 166 was/is a bit to stressful and then it's hard to hold on.  You spent very little time below the pier and it wasn't far below.  And you were flying!!

I agree with your decision to cut back a bit on the lifting as you ramp up your miles.  I think it will pay off.  Lifting to maintain your strength gain and keep your core strong is a good idea but to much will take away from your running success.

New shoes are always fun...even if it's the same model.  Good plan to buy as the prices drop.  I need to check and see when my models are updating as my shoes are getting worn.

I'll reread and comment more if/when things calm down a bit here on the farm.

Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:17 pm

This morning, I went and did a shorter weight lifting routine.  It was kinda difficult to choose which machine to cut out.  The concentration was on not duplicating as much on a specific muscle group.  I cut down time in between machines and time in between sets, too.  I was there 30 minutes.

I'd say I am half as tired.

I can swap around sets from one day to another that duplicate effort in this shortened routine.  I hope this works, at least until July.  I hope to adapt.  Guess that I'll find out shortly.

Tomorrow is 2 miles at 164.  Hope to beat the rain that's coming.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:I'm not ignoring you Doug...well maybe I am...but not intentionally.  I'm just busy. Embarassed

It's funny how we perceive our runs and analyze them.  

My first thought when I saw your March 23rd run was that it was a good run which showed that you were successfully adjusting to the cadence.  Yes, the average was a bit lower but the lows weren't as low.  In other words it didn't appear that you fell so far off the pier as drastically.

And I was curious why you shortened your March 25th run.  Pace and cadence both seemed to be holding up well.  I understand now.

Boy was your run yesterday impressive!!  Both pace and cadence were awesome.  I do think that dropping the gnome back to 164 was the trick.  Maybe 166 was/is a bit to stressful and then it's hard to hold on.  You spent very little time below the pier and it wasn't far below.  And you were flying!!

I agree with your decision to cut back a bit on the lifting as you ramp up your miles.  I think it will pay off.  Lifting to maintain your strength gain and keep your core strong is a good idea but to much will take away from your running success.

New shoes are always fun...even if it's the same model.  Good plan to buy as the prices drop.  I need to check and see when my models are updating as my shoes are getting worn.

I'll reread and comment more if/when things calm down a bit here on the farm.

Running
no problem.  I haven't been exactly posting right after your posts.

It's odd to me that I haven't been able to perceive my pace as faster than normal.  Maybe that's part of the change for this year.  I'm fixated on staying on the pier.  I'm thinking more on a run than I have in a very long time.  I guess, it's because the race in January is a big deal to me.  I have to be able to hold a pace in the 12s for this race.  So, I have a long, long, long way to go.

As always, thanks for dropping by.  Get back to work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:45 pm

It was 71 degrees, this morning, with 100% humidity (aka 71 degree dew point).  When I started, the cold front's rain band was 150 miles away in Austin.  So, I had plenty of time to run 2 miles.  It wasn't lost on me that 70+ degree weather has been the bane of my running for a few years now.  However for this summer, I plan to not be beaten by the weather.  Did I mention it was very windy, this morning?  Yeah, sustained 20-25 mph.  That breeze helped to make it more comfortable.

2 miles, 27:36, 13:47 pace, 124 avg HR, 146 max HR, 158 avg spm, 74 sl
1.  14:03, 115 bpm, 161 spm, 72 sl
2.  13:29, 132 bpm, 155 spm, 75 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144-146)  0:54
zone 3 (126-143) 13:41
zone 2 (108-125)  8:52

Again, from 0.5-1 mile was tough, but was a wee bit easier on the breathing.  If nothing else happened good, the breathing was a nice surprise.  The 2nd mile was not good for cadence, but it was good for time.  Monday's run was better overall, but 8 degrees cooler and 2 days rest helped.  Yet, today's run was only 20 seconds slower and still in the 13s.  20 seconds slower today, which includes lifting on Tuesday, is still good.

I couldn't help but think of the variables that made today's run different than Monday's.  Lifting Tuesday, a bit warmer, and the rest.  For Friday's run, it'll be in the mid-50s...and in April, to boot.  Friday will also be the 5th day after 2 running days and 2 lifting days.

Guess it wasn't that bad a run, after all.

Well, have to finish out the week, so I can see how it shakes out.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:28 pm

Well, my dark morning didn't start out too well, as in, couldn't get back to sleep.  So, when it was time to get up, I refused and dozed to a time too late to carry it out before sunrise.  I was wanting to see how working out today was going to affect the run tomorrow.  It's going to be in the 50s, too.

The solution was unique and never tried before.  I worked out at 12:30. Same 30 minute workout length.  It was busy, at that time.  Therefore, the 3 traditional bench press set ups were all being used.  I was able to work on the other two bench press set ups (incline bench press & decline bench press).  After the exact 30 minute workout, I left and went back to work.

I'll know how the 2 mile run went in about 10 hours.  I am sleepy, but I have something to do before I go to bed.  Y'all sleep tight.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:45 am

ounce wrote:Well, my dark morning didn't start out too well, as in, couldn't get back to sleep.  So, when it was time to get up, I refused and dozed to a time too late to carry it out before sunrise.  I was wanting to see how working out today was going to affect the run tomorrow.  It's going to be in the 50s, too.

The solution was unique and never tried before.  I worked out at 12:30. Same 30 minute workout length.  It was busy, at that time.  Therefore, the 3 traditional bench press set ups were all being used.  I was able to work on the other two bench press set ups (incline bench press & decline bench press).  After the exact 30 minute workout, I left and went back to work.

I'll know how the 2 mile run went in about 10 hours.  I am sleepy, but I have something to do before I go to bed.  Y'all sleep tight.  Thanks.
Well, it looks like it was a good run to me.  I'm curious to see what you thought.  

Pace and cadence were up and down a bit but overall pretty good.  More importantly when you neared the finish line you were able to push the pace and the cadence.  That tells me that when you were totally engaged mentally you had the physical ability.  I often find my cadence drops when I lose concentration but if I pay attention I have the ability to bring it back to the level I want...not always but if I can then it's an indication that fitness and adaptation is there and that I just need to practice and concentrate.

I can't believe that your heart just hums along in it's comfortable little hammock.  Sleep  My heart is usually a bit more excited.  bounce

Enjoy the weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:31 am

Maybe you're higher strung, than I?  Or higher metabolism rate?

This morning, it was 57 degrees and it felt fine.  I woke up not tired.  Cadence of 164 and this is the 4th run at that cadence.

2 miles, 28:18, 14:17 pace, 122 avg bpm, 138 max bpm, 159 avg cadence
1.  14:25, 121 bpm
2.  14:07, 132 bpm, 159 spm

HR zones
zone 3 (126-138)   9:10
zone 2 (108-125) 17:38

So, this was the slowest run in a while (Feb 23 @ 159 setting), but it didn't feel any different than the other runs.  In fact, I was rather comfortable for the first half mile.  I hadn't felt that in QUITE a while.  Which begs the question, did I lift too much this week?  I think not.  I wasn't any more winded than usual.  And since the first half mile was comfortable (and not much slower than past runs), I don't think I hit the 'fatigue wall' during the whole run.  I wasn't agonizing over the last half mile to 'make it.'

It could be that lifting amounts to another 10-15 pounds when I run on Fridays.

Something to watch and something from which to improve.  Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:20 am

Great to see you stuck it out and added the extra mile this morning.  Even if the pace was a bit slower and you were struggling with cadence I think that's the way to get to your goal!!

Rest and enjoy the remainder of the day.   Sleep
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:46 am

nkrichards wrote:Great to see you stuck it out and added the extra mile this morning.  Even if the pace was a bit slower and you were struggling with cadence I think that's the way to get to your goal!!

Thanks, Nancy.  Part of the goal was to see if could actually go the whole 3 miles without stopping.  I did that.  This was more of a LSD type of run, but I was hoping for a better cadence.  Such is running.  68 degrees

3 miles, 45:04, 15:01 pace, 127 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 153 avg cadence
1.  14:54, 120 bpm, 158 spm, 73 sl
2.  15:04, 135 bpm, 157 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:59, 127 bpm, 146 spm, 74 sl

HR zone
zone 4 (144-145)    0:31
zone 3 (126-143)  24:34
zone 2 (108-125)  19:17

The cadence chart wasn't a pier, rather it looked like a mountain for skiing.

-30-

Tuesday was lifting and I worked out for about 35 minutes.  5 minutes too long, but I couldn't help it.  I was so tempted to do 1 more routine.

NOW the issue was going to be how would I do on the Wednesday run?  Monday was the 3 and Tuesday was 35 minutes of weight lifting.

It was 72 degrees, this morning.  We have a dry cold front coming in this morning around 11.  Very windy with a high of about 79.  Yesterday, it was 90.  Last night, I decided that I was going to try to keep the 164 for whole run, which meant a lot of huffin' and a lot of puffin'.  The brain was in control.  There would be a break at the turnaround, if needed.

2 miles, 26:39, 13:17 pace, 134 avg bpm, 149 max bpm, 159 avg cadence, 78 avg sl
1.  13:13, 130 bpm, 160 spm, 78 sl
2.  13:21, 138 bpm, 156 spm, 77 sl

HR zones
Zone 4 (144-149)    0:21
zone 3 (126-143)   23:10
zone 2 (109-125)    2:27

The HR was surprisingly constant in that zone 3.  Cadence was sort of consistent, after 7 minutes on the pier.  Overall, I think the cadence was fine, but it took a lot of mind control to keep up the pace.  The splits reflect the mind control.

What was most satisfying was the pretty high effort for these two miles after running 3 on Monday and lifting for 35 minutes, yesterday.  That was one of the reasons for running pretty hard, this morning.  I wanted to do an equivalent of a body 'stress test' to see what would happen.  It was warm.  It was humid.  And much like a morning in June.  I need to get acclimated AND be able to run effectively in warm weather, which I haven't done in the past 2 years.  I guess that was the point of paying for the full; to throw out the excuses as to 'why not.'  Pushing through the weather and sweat, sweat, sweat.

So, the stagecoach driver is pushing the body.  And...no niggles.  It's going to be an interesting Summer.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:44 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Great to see you stuck it out and added the extra mile this morning.  Even if the pace was a bit slower and you were struggling with cadence I think that's the way to get to your goal!!

Thanks, Nancy.  Part of the goal was to see if could actually go the whole 3 miles without stopping.  I did that.  This was more of a LSD type of run, but I was hoping for a better cadence.  Such is running.  68 degrees

3 miles, 45:04, 15:01 pace, 127 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 153 avg cadence
1.  14:54, 120 bpm, 158 spm, 73 sl
2.  15:04, 135 bpm, 157 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:59, 127 bpm, 146 spm, 74 sl

HR zone
zone 4 (144-145)    0:31
zone 3 (126-143)  24:34
zone 2 (108-125)  19:17

The cadence chart wasn't a pier, rather it looked like a mountain for skiing.

-30-

Tuesday was lifting and I worked out for about 35 minutes.  5 minutes too long, but I couldn't help it.  I was so tempted to do 1 more routine.

NOW the issue was going to be how would I do on the Wednesday run?  Monday was the 3 and Tuesday was 35 minutes of weight lifting.

It was 72 degrees, this morning.  We have a dry cold front coming in this morning around 11.  Very windy with a high of about 79.  Yesterday, it was 90.  Last night, I decided that I was going to try to keep the 164 for whole run, which meant a lot of huffin' and a lot of puffin'.  The brain was in control.  There would be a break at the turnaround, if needed.

2 miles, 26:39, 13:17 pace, 134 avg bpm, 149 max bpm, 159 avg cadence, 78 avg sl
1.  13:13, 130 bpm, 160 spm, 78 sl
2.  13:21, 138 bpm, 156 spm, 77 sl

HR zones
Zone 4 (144-149)    0:21
zone 3 (126-143)   23:10
zone 2 (109-125)    2:27

The HR was surprisingly constant in that zone 3.  Cadence was sort of consistent, after 7 minutes on the pier.  Overall, I think the cadence was fine, but it took a lot of mind control to keep up the pace.  The splits reflect the mind control.

What was most satisfying was the pretty high effort for these two miles after running 3 on Monday and lifting for 35 minutes, yesterday.  That was one of the reasons for running pretty hard, this morning.  I wanted to do an equivalent of a body 'stress test' to see what would happen.  It was warm.  It was humid.  And much like a morning in June.  I need to get acclimated AND be able to run effectively in warm weather, which I haven't done in the past 2 years.  I guess that was the point of paying for the full; to throw out the excuses as to 'why not.'  Pushing through the weather and sweat, sweat, sweat.

So, the stagecoach driver is pushing the body.  And...no niggles.  It's going to be an interesting Summer.
Running Running Sweaty Ride Money

Nice run!  Your rode that horse...I don't see a stagecoach emoji...all the way to the end!!

It's going to take effort and progress won't be in a linear fashion but you'll get there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:41 am

Thanks, Nancy.

Got a question for you.  What do you think about me doing the Wednesday effort for 3 miles non-stop, until near-failure?  I know there would be swimming, but what would be the value?

30 minute lifting, this morning.  Tuesday, I did the traditional bench press for 90 pounds for 3 sets of 6.  Today, I did the sitting bench press for 125 pounds for 3 sets of 4 and it seemed that was tougher than last week's 3 sets of 5.  That's something that I will watch.

I'm playing catch up with the traditional versus the sitting bench press.  The goal is to get them in sync.  Traditional bench requires more secondary muscle involvement (forearms and upper, side trunk muscles.  Don't know if I'll ever get in sync.  I don't have a spotter for the traditional bench, so I have to be careful.  That's the big upside of doing the sitting bench as I'm never in any danger.

The dry cool front arrived yesterday before lunch.  When I ran yesterday morning, it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.  This morning it was 58 degrees with 41% humidity.  Annnnnd, tomorrow morning is supposed to be similar to today's 50's.  For this time in April, 58 is the seasonal low and 78 is the seasonal high.

Thinking of 3 miles in the morning, with those temps.

Thanks for dropping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next