365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 25 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:14 pm

It was 56 degrees, this morning.  Very nice weather.  I almost didn’t run because I was tired when the alarm went off.  I got dressed, then took it all off and went back to bed to see if I was really that tired.  15 minutes later, I got up, dressed, and ran.
Cadence was set at 164.

3 miles, 43:03, 14:19 pace, 127 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 157 avg cadence, 72 avg stride length
1.      13:41, 124 bpm, 161 spm, 73 sl
2.      14:44, 126 bpm, 151 spm, 72 sl
3.      14:30, 131 bpm, 155 spm, 71 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144 & 145)  00:31
zone 3 (126-143)     24:34
zone 2 (108-125)     19:17

I was pretty pleased with this non-stop run.  It was faster than Monday’s maybe because it was warmer on Monday.  As you can see from the stats, the cadence looked like a roller coaster, with the time splits the reverse.  I’ll tell you, the 3rd mile was an exercise in keeping the legs motivated.  I was getting closer to the turnover matching the gnome’s chirping, so I just applied what I was taught 10-15 years ago about fartlek.  Back then, the faster, then slower was accomplished with light poles as the faster/slower landmarks.  Did that this morning, too, during mile 3.
Then, I started fading in the last half mile.
But, BUT, I did it.  I never stopped.  This leads to a possible framework for the near future weeks.  Run 3 times and lift weights twice for 30-35 minutes.  I think that I was expecting, when I got up, to not be able to run due to being out of gas.  So, I’ll do the same routine, next week.  Of course, as the distances lengthen, I may get tired by Fridays.
I wonder if my energy stores will increase, as the miles lengthen?  As the body adapts?
So, it’s time to end the chapter about the 2 mile runs.  That was a good, possibly great, exercise to advance the turnover.  I went from 157 to 164, briefly at 166. 
The next chapter involves adding miles prior to the humidity entrenching itself for the duration of the Summer.  Getting up to 20 mpw by July would be very nice.  That would be a 10-5-5 or 9-4-7.
Y’all have a good weekend.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:01 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.

Got a question for you.  What do you think about me doing the Wednesday effort for 3 miles non-stop, until near-failure?  I know there would be swimming, but what would be the value?

30 minute lifting, this morning.  Tuesday, I did the traditional bench press for 90 pounds for 3 sets of 6.  Today, I did the sitting bench press for 125 pounds for 3 sets of 4 and it seemed that was tougher than last week's 3 sets of 5.  That's something that I will watch.

I'm playing catch up with the traditional versus the sitting bench press.  The goal is to get them in sync.  Traditional bench requires more secondary muscle involvement (forearms and upper, side trunk muscles.  Don't know if I'll ever get in sync.  I don't have a spotter for the traditional bench, so I have to be careful.  That's the big upside of doing the sitting bench as I'm never in any danger.

The dry cool front arrived yesterday before lunch.  When I ran yesterday morning, it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.  This morning it was 58 degrees with 41% humidity.  Annnnnd, tomorrow morning is supposed to be similar to today's 50's.  For this time in April, 58 is the seasonal low and 78 is the seasonal high.

Thinking of 3 miles in the morning, with those temps.

Thanks for dropping by.
I think the plan to add distance even if you end up swimming is a good plan.  Coach Melissa always instructs me just to cover the distance when she adds to my long run distance.  We don't worry at all about the pace/cadence the first few attempts.  Then when I'm ready, we try to run that distance with a negative split.  I think you have to push yourself and add distance even if you struggle if you want to build to the mileage needed to run your marathon.

And the good news is you have been doing that since you asked this question!

Glad to hear you are still enjoying your lifting and playing it safe when you don't have a spotter.
ounce wrote:It was 56 degrees, this morning.  Very nice weather.  I almost didn’t run because I was tired when the alarm went off.  I got dressed, then took it all off and went back to bed to see if I was really that tired.  15 minutes later, I got up, dressed, and ran.
Cadence was set at 164.

3 miles, 43:03, 14:19 pace, 127 avg bpm, 145 max bpm, 157 avg cadence, 72 avg stride length
1.      13:41, 124 bpm, 161 spm, 73 sl
2.      14:44, 126 bpm, 151 spm, 72 sl
3.      14:30, 131 bpm, 155 spm, 71 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144 & 145)  00:31
zone 3 (126-143)     24:34
zone 2 (108-125)     19:17

I was pretty pleased with this non-stop run.  It was faster than Monday’s maybe because it was warmer on Monday.  As you can see from the stats, the cadence looked like a roller coaster, with the time splits the reverse.  I’ll tell you, the 3rd mile was an exercise in keeping the legs motivated.  I was getting closer to the turnover matching the gnome’s chirping, so I just applied what I was taught 10-15 years ago about fartlek.  Back then, the faster, then slower was accomplished with light poles as the faster/slower landmarks.  Did that this morning, too, during mile 3.
Then, I started fading in the last half mile.
But, BUT, I did it.  I never stopped.  This leads to a possible framework for the near future weeks.  Run 3 times and lift weights twice for 30-35 minutes.  I think that I was expecting, when I got up, to not be able to run due to being out of gas.  So, I’ll do the same routine, next week.  Of course, as the distances lengthen, I may get tired by Fridays.
I wonder if my energy stores will increase, as the miles lengthen?  As the body adapts?
So, it’s time to end the chapter about the 2 mile runs.  That was a good, possibly great, exercise to advance the turnover.  I went from 157 to 164, briefly at 166. 
The next chapter involves adding miles prior to the humidity entrenching itself for the duration of the Summer.  Getting up to 20 mpw by July would be very nice.  That would be a 10-5-5 or 9-4-7.
Y’all have a good weekend.  Thanks.
You're doing a great job of finishing the distance even if it gets tough.  Really impressed with both this run and your 4 miler on Monday morning.  Awesome progress.  Don't forget to take a step back now and then.  Melissa has me run the longer distance two weeks and then step back a bit the 3rd week.  I still get in some good mileage but it is just a slight breather/recovery week.

Love being able to follow your runs on Strava.  It's so much easier to check in quickly and I don't seem to be getting back here as regularly as I'd like.  But I do enjoy hearing your analysis when I do.

Have a good week!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Dropping in from beyond the pale to wish you...

A VERY HAPPY BIRFDAY!!!

Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f4a5  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f432 

Whoa. Our emojis changed. Weird!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:16 pm

Woohoo  Medicare    bounce cheers  

I didn't see a birthday run on Strava...birthday lifting?

Hope it was a great day and the start of a great year.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 pm

nkrichards wrote:Woohoo  Medicare    bounce cheers  

Yeah, that's a good thing.  I did do some birfday lifting.  I might've hurt my left hip, doing it, though.  I think when I set my feet to do a lift, it may have strained a muscle.  The strain didn't appear until after I had been sitting for about 30 minutes.  I have a hitch in my get along, now.  Hopefully, it'll unhitch after sleeping.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 pm

Mark B wrote:Dropping in from beyond the pale to wish you...

A VERY HAPPY BIRFDAY!!!

Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f603  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f4a5  Term Limits? - Page 25 1f432 

Pale?  Like  pale?

I ain't no 'minstrator, so I don'ts git that perk.

And thanks, Mark.  Maybe you should come by a little more often.  confused
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:02 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Dropping in from beyond the pale to wish you...

A VERY HAPPY BIRFDAY!!!

Pale?  Like  pale?

I ain't no 'minstrator, so I don'ts git that perk.

And thanks, Mark.  Maybe you should come by a little more often.  confused

beyond the pale: offensive or unacceptable conduct

And yes, I totally mangled that idiom. It's one of my specialites.  Laughing

I'll try to do better, especially once I have something going on worth sharing. It's been very uneventful around here.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:04 pm

ounce wrote:

Yeah, that's a good thing.  I did do some birfday lifting.  I might've hurt my left hip, doing it, though.  I think when I set my feet to do a lift, it may have strained a muscle.  The strain didn't appear until after I had been sitting for about 30 minutes.  I have a hitch in my get along, now.  Hopefully, it'll unhitch after sleeping.

Thanks, Nancy.
How's the hip feeling?  Based on the fact that you ran 4 miles this morning I assume it's okay.  Your runs may not be speedy and you may have trouble maintaining your cadence to the end but I still think you're doing the right thing by adding the distance and gradually increasing your weekly mileage.  

The PT explained to me that I shouldn't expect to be able to hold a faster cadence the entire run at first.  He said short times at the faster cadence would eventually help it feel more natural.

Kudos on the fartleks!  Mixing a bit of speed in is a good idea.  It doesn't have to be a dedicated interval run or a long interval.  Melissa starts me with 4 x 15 second fartleks near the end of an easy run before moving me on to actual intervals.  

Nice step up in mileage this week.  Have a great weekend!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:15 am

It's nice to see you making progress! Focusing on improving your cadence also helps your form, which ought to make everything easier -- eventually, since it always feels awkward and wrong when you make a change, even for the better.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:06 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Thanks, Nancy.
How's the hip feeling?  Based on the fact that you ran 4 miles this morning I assume it's okay.  Your runs may not be speedy and you may have trouble maintaining your cadence to the end but I still think you're doing the right thing by adding the distance and gradually increasing your weekly mileage.  

The PT explained to me that I shouldn't expect to be able to hold a faster cadence the entire run at first.  He said short times at the faster cadence would eventually help it feel more natural.

Kudos on the fartleks!  Mixing a bit of speed in is a good idea.  It doesn't have to be a dedicated interval run or a long interval.  Melissa starts me with 4 x 15 second fartleks near the end of an easy run before moving me on to actual intervals.  

Nice step up in mileage this week.  Have a great weekend!
It hasn't hurt this week.  I believe it's healed.  Last week, it was gradually whining less.
Mark B wrote:It's nice to see you making progress! Focusing on improving your cadence also helps your form, which ought to make everything easier -- eventually, since it always feels awkward and wrong when you make a change, even for the better.
Thanks, Mark.  It's a process.

-30-
Last week, I ran 11 miles.  A 5-3-3.  And lifted twice for 30-35 minutes, each.

This week was a trying week.  I couldn't run Monday.  Tuesday, it was cooler, but I overslept the alarm because I was so wore out from Monday.  Rats.  So, it was left to Wednesday and Friday.

Wednesday, I ran 5 miles at a 14:59 pace.  It was 71 degrees.  5 miles is the longest since the Half in January, which also means it's the first time I've stepped into Memorial Park, this year, to run, but just a tenth of a mile.  But it's a meaningful tenth, to me.  Average cadence ended up at 150.

Thursday was a lifting day.  That's been nice, since keeping it on a 30 minute TTh schedule.  It seems to be working with the MWF running, without tiring me out more.  I hope it'll be workable, as I am pretty much back at weights during November.  Not quite at 180 sitting bench press, though.

Today, it was 73 degrees including a whole lot of muggy.  I wanted to do 4, but getting out into that muggy was going to make the 4 questionable.  I was going to stop at a half-mile, however, I had to keep going so when it was 78 in a couple of months, I can still run.  I ended up running the four, non-stop, at 14:43 pace with a cadence of 153.

So, 9 for the week.

In my running past, I've always put a lot of credence in running farther long runs, than is prescribed by most running plans because I usually bleed time in the later miles.  A 24 mile long run is not unusual to make me feel better that I can finish a marathon.

As a result of that practice, I'm considering running a marathon in November as a practice distance.  It'll tell me how prepared I am for Houston, 7 weeks later.  I have much to accomplish, when muggy runs will be occurring through Labor Day.  For many Summers, I have pushed through Houston's muggy mornings because that's what I had to do.  Squishy shoes come to mind.

If I can run a 6 hour marathon in November, then that'll make me warm and fuzzy for January.  Have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:00 am

ounce wrote:

This week was a trying week.  I couldn't run Monday.  Tuesday, it was cooler, but I overslept the alarm because I was so wore out from Monday.  Rats.  So, it was left to Wednesday and Friday.

Wednesday, I ran 5 miles at a 14:59 pace.  It was 71 degrees.  5 miles is the longest since the Half in January, which also means it's the first time I've stepped into Memorial Park, this year, to run, but just a tenth of a mile.  But it's a meaningful tenth, to me.  Average cadence ended up at 150.

Thursday was a lifting day.  That's been nice, since keeping it on a 30 minute TTh schedule.  It seems to be working with the MWF running, without tiring me out more.  I hope it'll be workable, as I am pretty much back at weights during November.  Not quite at 180 sitting bench press, though.

Today, it was 73 degrees including a whole lot of muggy.  I wanted to do 4, but getting out into that muggy was going to make the 4 questionable.  I was going to stop at a half-mile, however, I had to keep going so when it was 78 in a couple of months, I can still run.  I ended up running the four, non-stop, at 14:43 pace with a cadence of 153.

So, 9 for the week.

In my running past, I've always put a lot of credence in running farther long runs, than is prescribed by most running plans because I usually bleed time in the later miles.  A 24 mile long run is not unusual to make me feel better that I can finish a marathon.

As a result of that practice, I'm considering running a marathon in November as a practice distance.  It'll tell me how prepared I am for Houston, 7 weeks later.  I have much to accomplish, when muggy runs will be occurring through Labor Day.  For many Summers, I have pushed through Houston's muggy mornings because that's what I had to do.  Squishy shoes come to mind.

If I can run a 6 hour marathon in November, then that'll make me warm and fuzzy for January.  Have a good weekend.

Good job making it to the park. I think your "practice marathon" idea is a good one. I did a back-to-back once and while the first one was pretty good, the second one was great.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:15 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

So, 9 for the week.

Good job making it to the park. I think your "practice marathon" idea is a good one. I did a back-to-back once and while the first one was pretty good, the second one was great.
I agree that your practice marathon is a good plan.  

And I'm pleased to see you are continuing to push the distance even though you struggle to maintain pace and cadence as well as you'd like toward the end.  Your 5 miler yesterday morning was warm and probably not very pleasant at the end but you made it to the park and continued home.  I'd call that a win.  cheers  You can't improve if you don't push past your comfort zone.

Keep it up.  You'll get there.  I enjoy being able to see your runs on Strava.  It provides motivation when I get up and see that you've already put in the work for the day.

Enjoy your lifting days.  They will help your running.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Thanks, Mark.  November would be an easier time period to run one, than in December.  The race I'm leaning towards is in Dallas and called the Texas Quad because a Half or a Full will be offered over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday.  An 8 loop race for the full. affraid  The location is Bachman Lake which is JUST north of Love Field, where Southwest Airlines lands.  In fact, 60 years ago, the family would picnic at Bachman Lake, then we would walk up to the fence of Love Field and watch the planes (4 engine turbo-props and the rare 707 jet) land and take off.  They were coming right at us.  Great fun.

For the race, I would drive up on Friday morning, run Saturday, and drive back after the race.

-30-

Yesterday morning, it was 74 degrees with a dew point of 70 and I ran 5 miles at a 14:49 pace, which was 10 seconds faster as to pace, than last Wednesday.

5.01 miles, 1:14:12, 14:49 pace, 127 avg bpm, 148 avg spm
1.  14:35, 112 bpm, 157 spm, 
2.  14:25, 136 bpm, 148 spm,
3.  14:25, 131 bpm, 149 spm,
4.  15:20, 126 bpm, 143 spm,
5.  15:14, 131 bpm, 143 spm,

Last Wednesday's 5.  same route, roughly same temp
5.01 miles, 1:15:06, 14:59 pace, 131 avg bpm, 150 avg spm
1.  14:35, 120 bpm, 159 spm
2.  15:04, 132 bpm, 148 spm
3.  14:49, 130 bpm, 148 spm
4.  15:36, 134 bpm, 145 spm
5.  14:54, 137 bpm, 146 spm

On Monday, I felt like miles 2 and 3 were better while doing the run, which turned out to be true.  So, there seems to be a bit of improvement in stamina.  In fact, except for Monday's mile 5, all of the splits were better than last Wednesday's.  

We had a cool front pass, yesterday afternoon.  The odd occurrence of a low Wednesday morning of 58-60 degrees is supposed to occur...in late April.  Probably the last 50's morning temp until November or late October.  It may be 68 on Friday morning.

This morning, i went and lifted for 35 minutes.  Seems so short.  Increased weight on a couple.  I will be tickled to death if, come August, that I'm still able to do 35 minutes of lifting, with the increased weekly mileage.

So, Nancy, when I paid for the marathon about a month ago, I knew the effect would be that I would run the Summer because I was going to do my best to train for the race.  Had I not, I would have a ready excuse for not running in the Summer.  I'm just a tight wad that much.  And with the possible addition of a November marathon, that means a 22 mile long run for the end of October sometime.

Thanks for dropping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

So, 9 for the week.

I agree that your practice marathon is a good plan.  

And I'm pleased to see you are continuing to push the distance even though you struggle to maintain pace and cadence as well as you'd like toward the end.  Your 5 miler yesterday morning was warm and probably not very pleasant at the end but you made it to the park and continued home.  I'd call that a win.  cheers  You can't improve if you don't push past your comfort zone.

Keep it up.  You'll get there.  I enjoy being able to see your runs on Strava.  It provides motivation when I get up and see that you've already put in the work for the day.

Enjoy your lifting days.  They will help your running.
Yeah, you would post while I'm writing something.  Smile

I did think of running 6 on Monday.  I can't imagine that I'm providing your motivation, but okay.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:00 am

ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark.  November would be an easier time period to run one, than in December.  The race I'm leaning towards is in Dallas and called the Texas Quad because a Half or a Full will be offered over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday.  An 8 loop race for the full. affraid  The location is Bachman Lake which is JUST north of Love Field, where Southwest Airlines lands.  In fact, 60 years ago, the family would picnic at Bachman Lake, then we would walk up to the fence of Love Field and watch the planes (4 engine turbo-props and the rare 707 jet) land and take off.  They were coming right at us.  Great fun.

For the race, I would drive up on Friday morning, run Saturday, and drive back after the race.

-30-

Yesterday morning, it was 74 degrees with a dew point of 70 and I ran 5 miles at a 14:49 pace, which was 10 seconds faster as to pace, than last Wednesday.

On Monday, I felt like miles 2 and 3 were better while doing the run, which turned out to be true.  So, there seems to be a bit of improvement in stamina.  In fact, except for Monday's mile 5, all of the splits were better than last Wednesday's.  

We had a cool front pass, yesterday afternoon.  The odd occurrence of a low Wednesday morning of 58-60 degrees is supposed to occur...in late April.  Probably the last 50's morning temp until November or late October.  It may be 68 on Friday morning.

This morning, i went and lifted for 35 minutes.  Seems so short.  Increased weight on a couple.  I will be tickled to death if, come August, that I'm still able to do 35 minutes of lifting, with the increased weekly mileage.

So, Nancy, when I paid for the marathon about a month ago, I knew the effect would be that I would run the Summer because I was going to do my best to train for the race.  Had I not, I would have a ready excuse for not running in the Summer.  I'm just a tight wad that much.  And with the possible addition of a November marathon, that means a 22 mile long run for the end of October sometime.

Thanks for dropping by.
I had to laugh at your story about watching the planes at Love Field as a child.  When I was growing up Dad sometimes took cattle to the auction yard in Portland.  It was just over an hours drive away.  He drove down Marine Drive past PDX.  We loved to go with him because on the way home, he would stop and pull off at the airport and we would watch the planes take off and land.  It was a popular activity and there was often a truck selling ice cream, snow cones, or something.  It was a pretty special treat for us country bumpkins and also some quality time with Dad.

I'm like you Doug.  I need something on my schedule that I am fully committed to.  It helps motivate me to be consistent and put the work in.  It seems to be working in your case...I've noticed a significant willingness to push the mileage to get you to your goal.

And, yes, you do provide motivation for me to get going when I see your early morning efforts on Strava.  The fact that you get up in the dark and run in warm, humid conditions takes away any excuses I have for not getting my scheduled run done.  Don't minimize your commitment to your goals.  It's impressive.

Nice finish on your 4 miler this morning.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:20 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark.  November would be an easier time period to run one, than in December.  The race I'm leaning towards is in Dallas and called the Texas Quad because a Half or a Full will be offered over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday.  An 8 loop race for the full. affraid  The location is Bachman Lake which is JUST north of Love Field, where Southwest Airlines lands.  In fact, 60 years ago, the family would picnic at Bachman Lake, then we would walk up to the fence of Love Field and watch the planes (4 engine turbo-props and the rare 707 jet) land and take off.  They were coming right at us.  Great fun.

-30-

Thanks for dropping by.
I had to laugh at your story about watching the planes at Love Field as a child.  When I was growing up Dad sometimes took cattle to the auction yard in Portland.  It was just over an hours drive away.  He drove down Marine Drive past PDX.  We loved to go with him because on the way home, he would stop and pull off at the airport and we would watch the planes take off and land.  It was a popular activity and there was often a truck selling ice cream, snow cones, or something.  It was a pretty special treat for us country bumpkins and also some quality time with Dad.

I'm like you Doug.  I need something on my schedule that I am fully committed to.  It helps motivate me to be consistent and put the work in.  It seems to be working in your case...I've noticed a significant willingness to push the mileage to get you to your goal.

And, yes, you do provide motivation for me to get going when I see your early morning efforts on Strava.  The fact that you get up in the dark and run in warm, humid conditions takes away any excuses I have for not getting my scheduled run done.  Don't minimize your commitment to your goals.  It's impressive.

Nice finish on your 4 miler this morning.  Running
Yes, the 'significant willingness' is not to waste the $150 and not have an official finish.  This year, I'm the pig.  Not the chicken.  I guess that I need to sit down and figure out the schedule for how I'm going to pull this off.  Now, if I can just throttle back on eating, then the weight loss will really pay dividends by January.

Well, if my wringing out my headband provides the motivation for you to get your BQ, I will send you an invoice.   Rolling Eyes

I'm writing the 4 mile serenade in another window.  It was a good run.  Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 am

This morning, it was 62 degrees with a dew point of 56.  No crispness in the air.  Cool enough without the need to wear short sleeves.

Being the Wednesday run, it's going to be shorter than Mondays and Fridays.  I had 3 miles in mind at a faster pace.  I'm kinda tired of cadences in the 140's, plus it's cool!  And a north breeze!!  Tomorrow, the humidity returns and Friday's low is 69 +/- 2 degrees.  Today's run is what I will reminiscence about in the still, 78 degree August mornings.  So, I tried to make the most of it.

4 miles, 56:09, 14:01 pace, 137 avg bpm, 154 max bpm, 157 avg cadence,
1.  13:45, 128 bpm, 161 spm, 75 sl
2.  14:07, 136 bpm, 152 spm, 76 sl
3.  14:35, 142 bpm, 156 spm, 72 sl
4.  13:41, 143 bpm, 155 spm, 74 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144-154)    13:02
zone 3 (126-143)    38:25
zone 2 (108-125)     2:26

At around 1.6 miles is the turnaround for a 3 mile run or a break left for any distance greater than 3.  The legs were agreeable to go 4 because it was cool.  For the 4, the turnaround point is 2.2 miles.  It was at that point that I decided that I wanted to work on cadence retention.  So, the brain was stagecoach driver.  That's why the HR went up and stayed up compared to the mile 2 split.  Cadence, too.  I was dearly hoping for 2 splits in the 160's, but a pair in the mid-150's is a consolation prize.

It made me realize that instead of speedwork for the Wednesday run, I could do cadence work where I try hard to maintain the target cadence.  Pace, then, becomes a side benefit.  I could also use Wednesdays to run the parking garage for the hill work.  That won't happen much, but it needs to happen a few times.  Maybe 1x/month.  I could go to the 8th floor of the parking garage in August and not feel 1 mph of wind. Embarassed

Today's run was a nice way to send the cool weather to the freezer for the Summer.  Thanks for stopping by.  Lifting tomorrow and running 4 or 5 on Friday.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:39 am

It was almost not cool, this morning, with the humidity returning.  I went to lift weights and covered most of the things that I could in 30 minutes.  While I feel I could do the whole 70 minute workout, it's best to do 30 minutes for the big picture.  And I can see just doing 15 minutes, come August.  I wouldn't like it, but I can see it.

Tomorrow morning will be 70 or so degrees and back to heat acclimation.  4 miles probably, but not like Wednesday's.  But maybe I should try harder.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 am

ounce wrote:Yes, the 'significant willingness' is not to waste the $150 and not have an official finish.  This year, I'm the pig.  Not the chicken.  I guess that I need to sit down and figure out the schedule for how I'm going to pull this off.  Now, if I can just throttle back on eating, then the weight loss will really pay dividends by January.

Same thing for me. One of the benefits is coughing up the dough; the other is having a training plan staring you in the face.

That's my issue right now, sitting on the sofa, saying "Oh yeah, I'll get back in shape :waves hand: real soon now." Rolling Eyes

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 02, 2022 3:35 pm

You'll get there, Mark.  Maybe next year.

-30-

Friday morning was cool, for late April, here.  Not as cool as Wednesday, but decent.  I had the thought of working on pace because it was 69 degrees.  I have continued since December '20 the 5-6 minute warmup of walking for 3 minutes, then walking faster for the remaining 2-3 minutes in order to jostle the heart out of its slumber.

As I was in the first 90 seconds, the quads were a little tired.  Crap!  I knew what that meant.  But I went ahead and ran the 4 miles because I need to get in the habit of running, even though it's going to suck in both pace and effort.  Ended up being the slowest run I've had in a while.

4 miles, 1:02:40, 15:39 pace, 121 avg bpm.
2 16 minute splits and two 15 minute splits.

I imagine that Wednesday's cadence preservation caused more fatigue than the legs were letting on Thursday.  So, I have to watch that or make Friday cadence preservation.  Decisions, decisions.

-30-

This morning it was 74 degrees and 100% humid.  I had convinced myself to do 6 miles, which was an increase of 1 mile from last Monday's run.  I lowered the cadence from 164 to 161.  That was only going to help the first mile because I am already slowing before the mile one split.

I would consider any time under 1:30:00 a success.

6 miles, 1:32:46, 15:27 pace, 132 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 147 avg cadence
1.  15:09, 116 bpm, 153 spm
2.  15:14, 141 bpm, 146 spm
3.  15:20, 136 bpm, 149 spm
4.  15:25, 133 bpm, 144 spm
5.  15:36, 138 bpm, 144 spm
6.  15:58, 129 bpm, 142 spm

It was a tiring run, although the pace for today's 6 was better than Friday's 4.  Ain't that weird.  Could've been the one stop on the way back for traffic.  Reducing the cadence didn't seem to make a difference because it was so sweetly humid out there.  Rolling Eyes

And it's that time of year where stripping down and laying on a towel in the cooled air is just really nice.

I'll stay after the running.  I have to.

-30-

But I was reminded of something regarding lifting.  Newton's 2nd law of motion.  Force = Mass x Acceleration.  This might help me continuing to lift during the dogs days of Summer.  Instead of increasing the weight on a bar or dumbbell (Mass), I'll keep the weight the same and just do it faster (acceleration).  Increase the concentric and slow down the eccentric.  Even if it's just a weee bit increase in acceleration, that's better.

So, I'll give that a whirl in the hopes that I can not wear myself out on a Thursday for a run on Friday.  

I have family stuff to do from May 13-22, so I won't be able to do any running, nor lifting.  Although I do have two bands with me, if I remember to grab them and use them.  I may lose some stamina and 'speed,' but whatever niggles that I don't know I have will have the opportunity to heal.  In that time period, I have a 6 month visit with the cardiologist.  I'm not expecting any changes.  Part of that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy.

thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 04, 2022 10:10 am

Gotta tell you, Doug, I'm constantly impressed by your ability to run at all in Houston's sweatbox conditions.

Motivation is rough. But keep at it. You might actually be inspiring me. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Mark B wrote:Gotta tell you, Doug, I'm constantly impressed by your ability to run at all in Houston's sweatbox conditions.

Motivation is rough. But keep at it. You might actually be inspiring me. What a Face
I seem to remember you had the same or better level of motivation for Hood.  So it's there, but maybe you left it when you stopped worked the night shift.

As far as my little sweatbox, Wednesday's run was 76 degrees, which is the warmest low this year, to the best of my memory.  Some really thick air.  I got to 1.58 and had to stop.  I couldn't see doing 4 miles.  At the start, the legs weren't opposed to running, as long as I had 16 minute miles in my run.

I think that I will cut my losses and hit the treadmill at the gym on Wednesdays and Fridays, reserving Mondays for long runs.  I would like to run on the treadmill for a whole hour.

This morning, I lifted for 30 minutes.  

One thing that I've been meaning to type refers to the bench press and its 4 machines.  The machine that I lift the most weight is a sitting bench press.  I use that machine because I do not have to have anyone spotting me, in case I get in a pickle.  I workout with 125 lbs on that machine.

The other three machines are the traditional on-your-back bench machines which are the bench press flat on your back, the incline bench press, and the decline bench press.  Each machine works one of the three pectoral muscles.  The horizontal bench press works the Sternal pec, primarily, the Incline works the Clavicular pec, and the Decline works the Costal pec.

Term Limits? - Page 25 Screen-Shot-2018-10-29-at-10.47.44-AM

The three machines require the secondary muscles in the arm, deltoid, and sides of the chest to be engaged to lift the bar.  The sitting bench press doesn't.  So, I had to start with a bare bar of 45 pounds on the 3 machines.  I advanced faster with the horizontal bench press because the Sternal is a larger muscle.  But over the past year, the Decline and Incline machines have just about caught up with the horizontal.  90 lbs horizontal and 85 on the decline and incline.  That occurred when I became more comfortable lifting the weights in odd positions.

The goal is to be able to lift the same weight on all of the 4 machines.  That will take a while or never occur because I'm not going to slow down on the sitting, just to have the other three machines catch up.

Tomorrow will be the treadmill.  Not sure of the time on the machine, yet. 

Thanks for dropping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 06, 2022 9:39 am

I did go over to the gym, this morning, to start the treadmill part.  I got on there for about 15 minutes, walked some, ran again, then stopped.  Until just now, I didn't figure out why so short on time.  Unlike me when I am running and propelling myself, the treadmill maintains the same pace.  All the time, without fail.  I do not.

So, the treadmill will be training me to be consistent, all the time without fail, which takes stamina and energy.  Not sure how that will transfer to self-propelling on the streets.  I had the treadmill at 1% angle.  I think I need to do 2%, but I'll have to either work up to that or do it now and gain the stamina, as the days go by.  I should look into posts from last year to see what percent I used.  Last June 30, I had my stress test, so I can look there.

By the way, Mark, if you ever do one in the future and you're given some weeks before the appointment, run some hills or parking garages or some 5% angle on treadmills.  You'll be able to go longer in the latter stages of the test.  It worked for me.  My report said I attained 105% of normal HR for a 64 male (168 bpm) and my METS was 10.5.

Y'all have a good weekend.  Monday is a long run.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 07, 2022 2:13 pm

You're right that my getting promoted out of the night shift and Tuesday through Saturday workdays eliminated a lot of time I was able to devote to running. As a career move, it was the right thing, but I still haven't figured out how to make it work with fitness. I'll get there. Eventually.

Your pectoral workout sounds ... involved. Going for the Superman chest, perhaps?

Treadmill tip: For now, don't set the incline at 1%. You aren't going fast enough to need to simulate wind resistance. Better to get your body used to a steady state effort, even if it is slower. Start slow and work up. This is actually one of those times when going by HR, not speed, can help. Pick a target HR and work up to it on the 'mill. Once you hit that HR, gently slow the belt speed and keep doing so to keep the HR/effort level steady. It's sort of like doing "burnout" on a weight set, kinda.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 pm

Three years ago, I made a goal to be able to do 1 pull up.  That is still my goal, but what I thought I needed to do to get there ended up being so much more.  Sorta like a high school senior seeing he only needs 36 or so hours for a major & diploma, but didn't know there were 90-some odd other hours to actually get a diploma.  And if I get a Superman chest with the diploma, well, that's gravy, but not the goal.

But I lift weights because I enjoy it and the added muscle has straightened out my posture.  I don't lean anymore.  And old people, especially women, don't lift weights.  They hunch over, have no muscle mass, and their muscles are catabolized for energy.  Did I mention broken hips due to no core?

Until January, I want to at least maintain what I can lift on the routines that I'm now doing in 30 minutes, twice a week.  For as long as I can, I plan on lifting weights and improving.  But I don't think you'll see me on American Ninja Warrior.  Rats!

Like running, excessive body weight also hampers my ability to do pull ups.  But for pull ups, I need lats, traps, chest, biceps, triceps, core, and a non-leaky kinetic chain.

The idea behind the 1% incline is to make it more about propelling and less placement of the tootsies to not be George Jetson with Astro.  I think 2%-3% was what I used to simulate running on pavement.

But I can work on adapting some of your idea to the workout.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next