365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? Empty Term Limits?

Post  ounce Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Well, I thought that 1,000 posts to a thread was the limit, but it has 1,006 at this writing, so I added a question mark.  Anyway, thinking it was going to 'term limit,' I thought to start a new blog.  Anything related to Harvey will be on the other blog.  Maybe Irma, too.  Miche1e might could have some Irma fun by middle of next week.  She ought to get things together, before a shortage occurs from the Florida 'refugees' arrivals.

No need to be too anticipatory about this blog.  I'm still writing it. 

Today marks the start of the 20 week training cycle for the January 14 Houston Marathon.  I haven't registered for it, yet, but I will this month.  It was at 80% in August and I figure they didn't get too many entries, last week.

I ran 3 miles this morning.  The pace of 163 was maintained for most of the run.  It was 72 degrees with the same dewpoint.  Tomorrow, our first cool front arrives for Autumn, about two weeks early. 

It's a good thing, too. Our little cool front is what is supposed to turn Irma due north, instead of to Mississippi.  Watch for that on Sunday.

1.  13:16
2.  12:46
3.  13:09

I'm pleased with the splits.  I'm hoping I can get some stamina and consistency, this month.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Term Limits? Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 am

As forecasted, the cool front pushed through in the overnight hours.  Areas received no more than a 1/4" of rain.  Yesterday, the TV weather people were taking great pains to tell people it was JUST going to be a 1/4" so viewers wouldn't get anxious. 

It was 70 degrees, this morning, and I noticed the north breeze on the way back home.  No more 90's 5 days with low 60's, too!  How many layers will I need to wear?!?!?!?

I ran 3 miles again, this morning.  Slower than yesterday, but that was expected.  Cadence also suffered some during the last mile.  Again, expected.

1.  13:49
2.  13:46
3.  14:02
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

Nice to see running reports on here again...maybe things are at least starting to return to a more normal routine in your area.  I'm sure that for some it will be weeks and months but the rebuilding will progress.

Nice job on both yesterday's and this morning's runs!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:56 am

We might get some rain from Irma and then again we might get a lot of rain from Irma - not certain as of yet, of course.  Hopefully it will stay east of us, but it is still way too early to tell what is going to happen with it.  We got a little backlash from Harvey, but nothing much and our lakes are still pretty low.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:We might get some rain from Irma and then again we might get a lot of rain from Irma - not certain as of yet, of course.  Hopefully it will stay east of us, but it is still way too early to tell what is going to happen with it.  We got a little backlash from Harvey, but nothing much and our lakes are still pretty low.
Oddity for the record...

• the last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time in the Atlantic was September, 2010.
  • The last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time it used I, J, and K in the names.
  • The last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time, they were close to being in the same positions as today.

Term Limits? File

Miche1e,
Here's the 7 day total rain outlook from today until next Thursday.  Not much for 7 days, but good for the lakes.
Term Limits? P168i
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:36 am

Yikes.

So, I was doing some research on term limits earlier, to see if I could deactivate it... and I couldn't find anything about it on the help forums. I might need to send a message to somebody or post the question myself.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 am

ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:We might get some rain from Irma and then again we might get a lot of rain from Irma - not certain as of yet, of course.  Hopefully it will stay east of us, but it is still way too early to tell what is going to happen with it.  We got a little backlash from Harvey, but nothing much and our lakes are still pretty low.
Oddity for the record...

• the last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time in the Atlantic was September, 2010.
  • The last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time it used I, J, and K in the names.
  • The last time we had 3 hurricanes at the same time, they were close to being in the same positions as today.

Term Limits? File

Miche1e,
Here's the 7 day total rain outlook from today until next Thursday.  Not much for 7 days, but good for the lakes.
Term Limits? P168i
The above 7 day rain forecast evidently is a living document, as it has updated for time period and the new Irma track.  Miche1e might get more lovin' than previously forecasted.

Mark, we can use the other blog as a guinea pig to see how many posts it'll take.  I never received any notifications nor warnings that I was about to hit a brick wall.  Maybe we can use it as an SCZ!  Check on changing stars or the 'explaining to spouse' sayings, O master of the boards!

Their help forum is very quick to respond because there is some metric for how long it takes to close a post.  I found that out when Matt was about to euthanize this board.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Well, sports fans, I ran 5 whole miles today. 5!  I woke up and made myself road ready before Piglet could wake up and say, "Oh, D-D-D-Dear!" at my idea. 

It was 62 degrees with a dewpoint of 58.  Please remember that any dewpoint below 60 degrees is a wonderful thing, down here.  I didn't even put on a short-sleeved shirt for this cooler morning.  Daring. I know.

1.  13:40
2.  13:06
3.  13:26
4.  13:42
5.  13:11

The times weren't too bad, considering I just wanted to finish 5 miles.  Being cooler helped.  I even tried to stay more mid-foot, rather than riding the heel as things get later in the run.  I was thinking how some coach might reply to my question, "How do I learn to not heel strike as much, as I get tired?"  The only answer I could come up with would be to "just don't."

The silly answers I can come up with on an empty stomach at 5 a.m., but I'll give it a whirl.

Y'all have a less hazy weekend and maybe Miche1e can come up with some nifty stories about Irma.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm

ounce wrote:Well, sports fans, I ran 5 whole miles today. 5!  I woke up and made myself road ready before Piglet could wake up and say, "Oh, D-D-D-Dear!" at my idea. 

It was 62 degrees with a dewpoint of 58.  Please remember that any dewpoint below 60 degrees is a wonderful thing, down here.  I didn't even put on a short-sleeved shirt for this cooler morning.  Daring. I know.

1.  13:40
2.  13:06
3.  13:26
4.  13:42
5.  13:11

The times weren't too bad, considering I just wanted to finish 5 miles.  Being cooler helped.  I even tried to stay more mid-foot, rather than riding the heel as things get later in the run.  I was thinking how some coach might reply to my question, "How do I learn to not heel strike as much, as I get tired?"  The only answer I could come up with would be to "just don't."

The silly answers I can come up with on an empty stomach at 5 a.m., but I'll give it a whirl.

Y'all have a less hazy weekend and maybe Miche1e can come up with some nifty stories about Irma.

5 miles!  I'm impressed.  Your training seems to have been disrupted at every turn so getting back to it with a 5 mile run is a good turn of events...and it appears to have gone very well!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 pm

I may have stumbled upon at least one answer. Check out my resurrected blog segment that had been locked at 990 posts. I found a way to unlock it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Mark B wrote:I may have stumbled upon at least one answer. Check out my resurrected blog segment that had been locked at 990 posts. I found a way to unlock it!

I may have... but I was wrong. Forumotion (the service we use here) locks a topic thread at 990 posts and automatically "splits" off another topic thread (that's what they call our blogs) to continue. It appears to be hard-baked into the system. 

At least, according to this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t1709-some-limits-of-forumotion-forum.

Boo! I was hoping I could merge all my Bumblebee posts into one blog, but it refused to let me.

At least now we know.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Last weather report showed that Irma might go west of Atlanta which might not be what we want - but I guess it is all still who knows until she hits south FL.  Meanwhile it is relatively cool here for mid-September, so I am certain that 90s will be back on September 23rd right in time for my half IM on the 24th.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mark B wrote:I may have stumbled upon at least one answer. Check out my resurrected blog segment that had been locked at 990 posts. I found a way to unlock it!

I may have... but I was wrong. Forumotion (the service we use here) locks a topic thread at 990 posts and automatically "splits" off another topic thread (that's what they call our blogs) to continue. It appears to be hard-baked into the system. 

At least, according to this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t1709-some-limits-of-forumotion-forum.

Boo! I was hoping I could merge all my Bumblebee posts into one blog, but it refused to let me.

At least now we know.
Then, I don't know why mine is showing 1,009 posts.  It's not deleting the first 19 posts to keep it at 990.  Maybe we're so small it doesn't matter.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Last weather report showed that Irma might go west of Atlanta which might not be what we want - but I guess it is all still who knows until she hits south FL.  Meanwhile it is relatively cool here for mid-September, so I am certain that 90s will be back on September 23rd right in time for my half IM on the 24th.
What a difference a couple of days make.

We have been about 10 degrees under average, but we're creeping up and should be back in the 90's by Thursday.  Keep funneling that NE wind from Irma our way!

-30-

This morning, it was 66 degrees with a dewpoint of 60.  Starrrting to creep up, but the air isn't thick, like it is at 75 degrees.  This morning also begins week 2 of 20.  For the time being, I'm going to make Friday the long run, Monday will be the sorta long run and Wednesday will be a lighter mileage day.  As always, management reserves the right to make changes without public input at their expense.  Target cadence was 163 spm.

4 miles, 52:06, 13:01 avg pace, 163 avg cadence, 0.76 m avg stride length
1. 13:22, 163 spm, 74 sl
2. 12:53, 163 spm, 77 sl
3. 12:55, 163 spm, 77 sl
4. 12:53, 163 spm, 77 sl

Boy, I wasn't expecting 3 sub-13 splits.  I think part of it is that I'm really trying to hit mid-foot, instead of heel, when I'm getting tired.  I think it lengthens the stride length, some as well.  Temperature is a factor.

No niggles ner nuffin', too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

At least now we know.
Then, I don't know why mine is showing 1,009 posts.  It's not deleting the first 19 posts to keep it at 990.  Maybe we're so small it doesn't matter.

I've been going scratch about that myself. All I know for sure is that when I tried to merge one 990-post with another, it wanted to split the topic again. I guess we just keep going until it breaks. Science! Well, computer science. Sorta.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Don't scratch too much, or you'll end up geek then cyclops  then drunken .

-30-

This morning it was 67 degrees with a dew point of 64.  Tonight, we'll see our first 70 degree low since the days before Harvey arrival caused problems on August 25.  Oh well, it was a nice Fall while it lasted.

3 miles was on the schedule.  Instead, I think I'm going to use Wednesdays as 'hill' work or 'speed' work.  So, I ran to my hills at the parking garage of the theater I frequent.  1.25 miles over there and back, with running the ramps the best that I can.  The go to mile was 13:26 and the come back mile was 13:57.  I'll be doing better and running longer on the ramps as the weeks fly by.

For Friday, I'm thinking of doing the Devil's Loop of 6.66 miles to Memorial Park and back.  It'll be my first run there and back in quite a while.  And I'll take it as a positive leap in the training.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 pm

The Climate Prediction Center is predicting a 60% chance of a La Nina for this Fall and Winter, which means cooler Pacific waters and potentially a colder U.S. winter.  In the past month, the sub-surface Pacific Ocean temp went down from -0.1to -0.6 degrees Centigrade.

Term Limits? Figure03
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 am

Hope the Devil's Run went well this morning! And most of us here in the West would be happy for a cold, wet winter after this summer. Can it start right away, please? We've got wildfires that need to be extinguished, and that's the only way they're going out.

Of course, we got kind of clobbered with snow last year, so give it time, and we'll be complaining about that, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

Mark B wrote:Hope the Devil's Run went well this morning! And most of us here in the West would be happy for a cold, wet winter after this summer. Can it start right away, please? We've got wildfires that need to be extinguished, and that's the only way they're going out.

Of course, we got kind of clobbered with snow last year, so give it time, and we'll be complaining about that, too.

+1 on the cold, wet winter!  Even though we still have one carrot field to harvest I'm not to disappointed that fall weather has arrived.

Did Devil's Run happen?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hope the Devil's Run went well this morning! And most of us here in the West would be happy for a cold, wet winter after this summer. Can it start right away, please? We've got wildfires that need to be extinguished, and that's the only way they're going out.

+1 on the cold, wet winter!  Even though we still have one carrot field to harvest I'm not to disappointed that fall weather has arrived.

Did Devil's Run happen?

Hm. No post from Ounce in a few days. Hope its because you're having too much fun to check in!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 pm

A cold, wet winter?  What's that??

Last Friday, I did do the Devil's Loop.  It was good to get on the inside of the West Loop, where Memorial Park is located.  I'm about 2.25 miles from the Loop and almost another mile to the water fountain, or 3.33 miles at the turnaround point.

It was 71 degrees, that dark morning, with 100% humidity.  The times were fine and better than this week's.  I was pleased.

On Monday, I was going out for a 5 mile run.  It was 78 degrees with 97% humidity.  Our nice Fall weather had disappeared and we were back to summertime in Houston.  I don't know exactly why, but I have my thoughts, but I couldn't do anymore than 2 miles.  Loss of acclimation is some of it, but I'm still trying to figure out what it is.

Wednesday, I was determined to do 5 miles, splits be damned.  It was 77 degrees with 100% humidity.  I completed the 5 miles aaaaaaaaand splits were damned.

I'm pretty much whole, although after running and sitting for a bit, the piece of my left ankle from the ankle bone to the achilles to the base of the left, medial foot was strained.  The left foot is the foot where the medial side chews up the heel of my shoe.  A daily treatment with the TENS unit will take care of it, along with not wearing old pairs of running shoes, except....the Ruby Slippers, that old pair of Kinvara 4's where the left heel is worn evenly, so there's no collapse.

I will do tomorrow's run on Saturday morning.  It will still be above 75 degrees, at the time of the run.  But I need to see if things are getting better.  I'll take it just being static.

That's the latest on the running.  I think in 10 days, I'll be better off and running farther.  Thanks for the concern.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Well it's good to hear you're getting out there and that Devil's Loop went well...

It will come.  Kudos to you for running in those conditions.  I'm not sure I would be dedicated enough.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well it's good to hear you're getting out there and that Devil's Loop went well...

It will come.  Kudos to you for running in those conditions.  I'm not sure I would be dedicated enough.
Oh, I think that ornery spirit on your shoulder would get you outside. Wink  thanks.

-30-

Saturday, I attempted to do a 7 or 8 mile long run.  I woke up once during the night and couldn't get back to sleep.  Lack of sleep hasn't been an issue in prior cycles, so here I go.  It was 71 degrees with 100% humidity.

I made it 1.5 miles, before I shut it down.  Hmmm, I'll try on Sunday.

So today, I attempted to do a 7 or 8 mile long run.  I went to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 4:30.  Woke up a couple of times, but fell back to sleep.  So, 8 hours.  It was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.

At 1.5 miles, I started to feel a little like Saturday, but I kept going because I wanted to try the 8.  At 2 miles, whatever funk I was in cleared and I continued.

I did finish the 8 miles, but miles 6-8 were a struggle.  The cadence was s-l-o-w-e-r, but I didn't stop and even leaned forward a little to keep my heel as not so much the point of contact.  That helped some.  I'll have to try to remember that.

I haven't uploaded the figures, but I know the first half pace was 13:40, the second half pace was 14:19, and the overall pace was 13:59.  I don't have any residual pain, nor niggles.

Separately, I'd like to recommend a movie to Nancy, since she has Augie.  "A Dog's Purpose" is a dog lovers or owners movie.  It came out earlier this year and rated PG.  Being the owner of Fluff, Mark could come up with his own movie, "A Cat's Purpose" from all the pictures taken from "Inside Waterworld."  Maybe Alita could enjoy the movie.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Good job on pushing through the fatigue wall. That'll help a lot. Don't worry about cadence and pace at this point; you just want to be moving.

"Inside Waterworld" would be a good name for the movie, as would "The Fluffsidon Adventure" -- or, "20,000 leagues under the bathtub." affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am

I'll have to check out the movie Doug...thanks for the suggestion.

Keep at it...slow and steady will win the race.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Mark B wrote:Good job on pushing through the fatigue wall. That'll help a lot. Don't worry about cadence and pace at this point; you just want to be moving.

"Inside Waterworld" would be a good name for the movie, as would "The Fluffsidon Adventure" -- or, "20,000 leagues under the bathtub." affraid
"Hurricane Fluff"?  "Flash Fluff Emergency"?  "Clear and Present Fluffing"? "Not A Cat's Purpose"?

Well, I guess '...pushing through the fatigue wall' is as good an reason as anything.
nkrichards wrote:I'll have to check out the movie Doug...thanks for the suggestion.

Keep at it...slow and steady will win the race.
Thanks, Nancy, but for humor's sake, could you tell me which races I would win as 'slow and steady?'  I'll start preparing some shelving for all the hardware!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next