365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 23 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  Julie Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Congrats on the half! It's silly cold here. Single digits with windchills well below 0 so it's good to have indoor options. And I'm not scoffing at 20 wc, because that's not exactly comfortable either.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm

Thanks, Julie.  Yeah, cold is in the eye of the shiverers.

-30-

I woke up and was going to run this morning, but I let my body decide whether to sleep or to run.  2 hours later, I woke up, again.  The weather was similarly cold between today and tomorrow morning. This morning, it was 42 with a 20 mph north wind for a 32 wc.  Tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be 32 with a 5 mph north wind.  

One thing from a recovery point that is still lingering is swelling.  It's about 20% venous insufficiency and 80% the Half.  I take about 2 tsp of potassium citrate in 6-8 ounces of water throughout the day.  The relationship between potassium and salt is a balance.  Not a perfect balance and potassium is the more critical electrolyte to have on board than salt.

During the Summer, I had experimented with what happens to me if I reduce or stop the potassium.  Short term, when the potassium reduces, the salt absolutely must reduce, too, by urination.  I found that after 30 days, I was having to get up during the night more to pee.  At the time, I didn't link the lower potassium with the increased frequency of peeing.  My venous insufficiency went down, too.  Then, I snapped at the relationship.

So I re-started the potassium.  After a couple of weeks, I was sleeping through the night again, because there was more room for the salt to stick around because there was more potassium around.

Now, I'm going to reduce the potassium intake to see if I can piss away the swelling.  Stay tuned.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:23 pm

Julie wrote:Congrats on the half! It's silly cold here. Single digits with windchills well below 0 so it's good to have indoor options. And I'm not scoffing at 20 wc, because that's not exactly comfortable either.

ounce wrote:Thanks, Julie.  Yeah, cold is in the eye of the shiverers.

-30-

I woke up and was going to run this morning, but I let my body decide whether to sleep or to run.  2 hours later, I woke up, again.  The weather was similarly cold between today and tomorrow morning. This morning, it was 42 with a 20 mph north wind for a 32 wc.  Tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be 32 with a 5 mph north wind.  

One thing from a recovery point that is still lingering is swelling.  It's about 20% venous insufficiency and 80% the Half.  I take about 2 tsp of potassium citrate in 6-8 ounces of water throughout the day.  The relationship between potassium and salt is a balance.  Not a perfect balance and potassium is the more critical electrolyte to have on board than salt.

During the Summer, I had experimented with what happens to me if I reduce or stop the potassium.  Short term, when the potassium reduces, the salt absolutely must reduce, too, by urination.  I found that after 30 days, I was having to get up during the night more to pee.  At the time, I didn't link the lower potassium with the increased frequency of peeing.  My venous insufficiency went down, too.  Then, I snapped at the relationship.

So I re-started the potassium.  After a couple of weeks, I was sleeping through the night again, because there was more room for the salt to stick around because there was more potassium around.

Now, I'm going to reduce the potassium intake to see if I can piss away the swelling.  Stay tuned.
I love cold weather running...with limits of course.  But I do not like the wind at all!!

I saw your 2 mile run on Strava yesterday.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts.  Guessing you aren't fully recovered yet.  I know my recovery took much longer than normal.  Damn this old age stuff!!

Your salt/potassium comments are more than interesting.  I get up at least 2 times every night...often 3 times...to pee.  But I already have high potassium so don't think adding more is a good idea.  I know how important it is to hydrate well and don't want to cut back on liquids.  Marty and I alway have a cup of "tea" (actually ginger and lemon myrtle) before bed.  We started doing it to make sure we were hydrating without adding caffeine and also because it's a way to force us to sit down and relax for a few minutes before heading to bed.  We talked a couple days ago about continuing the habit but trying to do it earlier in the evening.  We'll see if that helps.

I'll talk more in my blog but I wanted to let you know that you are to blame for my long run yesterday being much faster than my coach intended.  I noticed my cadence has really dropped off since my marathon so I've been working on cadence and my forward lean.  I could not keep my pace in an easy range!!

Hope you're feeling more recovered...I'll keep my eyes open for your next run on Strava.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Julie wrote:Congrats on the half! It's silly cold here. Single digits with windchills well below 0 so it's good to have indoor options. And I'm not scoffing at 20 wc, because that's not exactly comfortable either.

ounce wrote:Thanks, Julie.  Yeah, cold is in the eye of the shiverers.

-30-

I love cold weather running...with limits of course.  But I do not like the wind at all!!

I saw your 2 mile run on Strava yesterday.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts.  Guessing you aren't fully recovered yet.  I know my recovery took much longer than normal.  Damn this old age stuff!!

Your salt/potassium comments are more than interesting.  I get up at least 2 times every night...often 3 times...to pee.  But I already have high potassium so don't think adding more is a good idea.  I know how important it is to hydrate well and don't want to cut back on liquids.  Marty and I alway have a cup of "tea" (actually ginger and lemon myrtle) before bed.  We started doing it to make sure we were hydrating without adding caffeine and also because it's a way to force us to sit down and relax for a few minutes before heading to bed.  We talked a couple days ago about continuing the habit but trying to do it earlier in the evening.  We'll see if that helps.

I'll talk more in my blog but I wanted to let you know that you are to blame for my long run yesterday being much faster than my coach intended.  I noticed my cadence has really dropped off since my marathon so I've been working on cadence and my forward lean.  I could not keep my pace in an easy range!!

Hope you're feeling more recovered...I'll keep my eyes open for your next run on Strava.  Running
I am just so happy to help.  Wink 

No need to watch Strava for a few days more, as I have been with two back-to-back problems in my life (my health is aces) that demand my attention.  One should mitigate some this weekend, but is ongoing.  The other was a bad complete surprise, but will mitigate after February 5...slowly.  I won't go into it at all because I just don't.

Sooooo, no running nor weights this week.  Maybe next week.  Maybe.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:45 am

ounce wrote:

No need to watch Strava for a few days more, as I have been with two back-to-back problems in my life (my health is aces) that demand my attention.  One should mitigate some this weekend, but is ongoing.  The other was a bad complete surprise, but will mitigate after February 5...slowly.  I won't go into it at all because I just don't.

Sooooo, no running nor weights this week.  Maybe next week.  Maybe.

No need to share details...just know that I'll be thinking of you as you work through life's challenges.  And I'll watch for your return to Strava.  Running

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

Thanks, Nancy.

Last week was a good week not to be outside because we were just plain cold.  Today was the first morning since Thursday where the temp was above 32 degrees.  People were freaking out right and left that this cold weather was a repeat of the 2021 Valentines Day winter storm that durn near destroyed the state's electrical grid.

It's the same people that think a hurricane has a mind of its own.  They just don't understand and prefer to play Chicken Little.

This morning, I lifted for about 65 minutes, door-to-door.  Working on changing my eating habits.  Other things are settling, with a couple of course changes.

I will try to run in the morning.  It's already 48 degrees at 9 a.m. and sunny.  Last Thursday, the low was 27 with a high of 33.  Started February with a much cooler than seasonal temperatures.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:13 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.

Last week was a good week not to be outside because we were just plain cold.  Today was the first morning since Thursday where the temp was above 32 degrees.  People were freaking out right and left that this cold weather was a repeat of the 2021 Valentines Day winter storm that durn near destroyed the state's electrical grid.

It's the same people that think a hurricane has a mind of its own.  They just don't understand and prefer to play Chicken Little.

This morning, I lifted for about 65 minutes, door-to-door.  Working on changing my eating habits.  Other things are settling, with a couple of course changes.

I will try to run in the morning.  It's already 48 degrees at 9 a.m. and sunny.  Last Thursday, the low was 27 with a high of 33.  Started February with a much cooler than seasonal temperatures.
Hi Doug.  It's good to see you're back.

I don't have a ton of time right now but did want to let you know I was hanging around...and interested.

I did see your run this morning...not bad after a long break...looks like hanging on to the cadence was tough though.  It will come.

Glad to hear you're back to lifting.  You seem to enjoy it as much or possibly more than running.

What are your eating habit goal changes...if you don't mind sharing?

Don't complain to much about the cold weather...it will be hot and humid before you know it.  Sweaty

I'll take the time to catch my blog up tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.

Hi Doug.  It's good to see you're back.

I don't have a ton of time right now but did want to let you know I was hanging around...and interested.

I did see your run this morning...not bad after a long break...looks like hanging on to the cadence was tough though.  It will come.

Glad to hear you're back to lifting.  You seem to enjoy it as much or possibly more than running.

What are your eating habit goal changes...if you don't mind sharing?

Don't complain to much about the cold weather...it will be hot and humid before you know it.  Sweaty

I'll take the time to catch my blog up tomorrow...
Thanks, Nancy.  Yeah, last Tuesday was accompanied by a fall in the first half mile.  It truly wasn't bad.  I guess that's the benefit of plodding, instead of running.  Just a non-visible bruise on the top of the upper arm at the elbow  Haven't had a non-visible bruise from a fall, since taking blood thinners.  Running 2 miles efficiently has been a task, unfortunately, but being consistent about it is showing results, this week.  That's encouraging.  I was able to hold cadence longer into the run, this morning.

When I started the 2 mile runs, I bumped the cadence from 157 to 158.  I think that while I'm building the stamina at 2 miles, that I'll bump the cadence up to 162 or 164 before increasing mileage.  I think I was at 164 back in 2020.  I am also going to target running MWF one week, then TTh the next week.  Then lift alternately.

Eating habit changing will try to go back to Keto by mostly working carbs down to 50 grams a day.  Nice carbs.  Unprocessed carbs, mostly.

I do enjoy lifting more than running because I get stronger and see weights get heavier.  Running has always been a challenge for me where gains, sometimes, are very hard to see when a marathon is the goal.  So seeing me get lighter is better for my running.  And lifting will benefit me more, in my opinion, as I get older and older and as I continue to be able to lift and continue being consistent.

By the time I turn 71, I hope to still be working, hope to have ran one marathon and five halves, and continue to increase the weights.  And healthy enough to do all of it.

Oh, Nancy, regarding Medicare.  Back on January 5, I selected United Healthcare/AARP as the Plan G supplemental because they have the largest number of insured people across the US, so the price increase in the future will be spread over more people.  $146.38/month for Harris County (Houston).  For Plan D (Drugs), I went with Aetna Silverscript with Kroger as the Preferred pharmacy (cheaper than a Standard pharmacy) because for Plavix and Coreg as my meds, that'll cost me $6.90/month with a yearly co-pay at Kroger of $22.  All as payment sucked out of my account.

Since January 5th, United Healthcare sent me the card in about 2 weeks.  On January 28, I was accepted into Medicare.  On February 12, I received the card.  Nothing on the Part D, yet, but they may have had to wait until I was accepted into Medicare.  All for a April 1 start.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 pm

ounce wrote:

Thanks, Nancy.  Yeah, last Tuesday was accompanied by a fall in the first half mile.  It truly wasn't bad.  I guess that's the benefit of plodding, instead of running.  Just a non-visible bruise on the top of the upper arm at the elbow  Haven't had a non-visible bruise from a fall, since taking blood thinners.  Running 2 miles efficiently has been a task, unfortunately, but being consistent about it is showing results, this week.  That's encouraging.  I was able to hold cadence longer into the run, this morning.

A fall last Tuesday explains a lot of things...glad to hear it wasn't serious and didn't result in a nasty bruise or swelling.  Yes...your paces and especially your cadence have improved noticeably over those 2 mile runs.  It is encouraging.

When I started the 2 mile runs, I bumped the cadence from 157 to 158.  I think that while I'm building the stamina at 2 miles, that I'll bump the cadence up to 162 or 164 before increasing mileage.  I think I was at 164 back in 2020.  I am also going to target running MWF one week, then TTh the next week.  Then lift alternately.

Plan looks quite reasonable.  Very Happy

Eating habit changing will try to go back to Keto by mostly working carbs down to 50 grams a day.  Nice carbs.  Unprocessed carbs, mostly.

Not surprised to see you're going back to Keto...or heading in that direction anyway.  I did some tracking and was surprised to see I was actually short protein during the peak of my training...also very short of total calories on harder/longer days.  My coach encouraged me to eat healthy carbs...and not to avoid carbs.  I needed the energy.

I do enjoy lifting more than running because I get stronger and see weights get heavier.  Running has always been a challenge for me where gains, sometimes, are very hard to see when a marathon is the goal.  So seeing me get lighter is better for my running.  And lifting will benefit me more, in my opinion, as I get older and older and as I continue to be able to lift and continue being consistent.

Doing what you enjoy is important.  If it helps you achieve your weight/running goals that's a bonus but just the lifting has to be beneficial health wise.  I'm all about having fun.

By the time I turn 71, I hope to still be working, hope to have ran one marathon and five halves, and continue to increase the weights.  And healthy enough to do all of it.

Love the fact that you have several long term goals...all very reasonable and specific enough but not to specific.  The goal to be healthy has to be the base that allows you to feel good while doing all the others.   Very Happy

Oh, Nancy, regarding Medicare.  Back on January 5, I selected United Healthcare/AARP as the Plan G supplemental because they have the largest number of insured people across the US, so the price increase in the future will be spread over more people.  $146.38/month for Harris County (Houston).  For Plan D (Drugs), I went with Aetna Silverscript with Kroger as the Preferred pharmacy (cheaper than a Standard pharmacy) because for Plavix and Coreg as my meds, that'll cost me $6.90/month with a yearly co-pay at Kroger of $22.  All as payment sucked out of my account.

Since January 5th, United Healthcare sent me the card in about 2 weeks.  On January 28, I was accepted into Medicare.  On February 12, I received the card.  Nothing on the Part D, yet, but they may have had to wait until I was accepted into Medicare.  All for a April 1 start.

I've got a bit of time to prepare for signing up for Medicare...and I have the luxury of practicing on Marty last year.  We debated the pros and cons of Marty starting to draw his Social Security when he reaches full retirement in May.  We decided to wait.  He is healthy and has good genes.  His Mom is 92 and going like the Energizer Bunny.  His Dad made some poor choices and still lived to be 83.  My life expectancy is a bit less easy to predict but hopefully if I stay active I'll beat the odds.  The hardest part for me is deciding how much I supplement and medicate.  I'd prefer to live a more natural life but also don't want to ignore opportunities that are available and may benefit me.  I struggle with the statin decision.   Question
Enjoy your lifting.  I'll be watching for your runs on Strava and looking for that faster cadence.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:43 pm

Regarding protein amount, when I first did Keto in 2013, protein wasn't as high as it should've been, but I was following the plan.  I figured out a couple of years ago that by increasing my protein to about 100 grams/day gave my body enough protein to where my muscles didn't ache near as much as in 2013.  We all get sore, but I reduced my soreness by 1/2 to 3/4ths.  100 grams is about a pound of non-processed meat.  For example, cooking a steak, but not salami.  Cooking from a pork loin, but not Shake 'n Bake, etc.

The reason for noting Medicare was to give you an idea of how long it takes to get cards, from the time of signing up.  I agree with y'all on SS.  I won't hit full retirement until October 2023, but I'll keep working.  

-30-

I lifted this morning.  Creeping up on the weights I was lifting back in November.  I was really getting tired on the 4 bench press machines I do.  I remember in November, I was setting a goal of 200 by September.  That'll have to be pushed out a couple of months.  Of course, taking into account that I want to be training for a marathon did not enter into the late 2022 goal of 200.  Oh, well.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:43 am

It was 60 degrees, this morning.  Friday morning is supposed to be 35.

So, I thought about going ahead and bumping up the cadence from 158 to 159, but there was one problem.  The gnome was already at 159.  I must've bumped it up 2 steps sometime back.  Oh well.  There was some trepidation on increasing to 160, as I was warming up.  But the left side of the brain kicked in and overruled the fear.  I'll be able to run the 160 for a bit, then I'll jump off the pier.  Yet as I continue to be persistent, the pier will lengthen until I am able to bump the cadence to 161.  Rinse.  Repeat.

2 miles, 31:07, 15:23 pace, 125 avg bpm, 149 max, 152 avg cadence
1.  15:20, 120 bpm, 155 spm
2.  15:41, 130 bpm, 147 spm

HR zone
zone 2 (108-125) 17:03
zone 3 (126-149) 12:34

Well, there was the urge to slow down, but I was fighting it under the thought...it's only 2 miles, quit whining.

Lifting tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:33 am

It was 68 degrees for my drive to 24 Hour Fitness.  Tomorrow, at 5 a.m., it's supposed to be 34 degrees.

Lifting went well.  I'm still about 5-10 pounds away from November levels, so I've cut the deficit in half.  This is an example that the body isn't going to continue to support the muscular system, if the muscles aren't being worked.  Therefore, like what happens with old people that don't walk anymore or are too tired to walk or anything, the body WILL catabolize the muscles for energy.  Muscle cells contain the same makeup as carbs, so it's easy to burn them.

I guess it's the same with the heart.  For me, the heart isn't going to beat any faster than it needs to beat.  It's perfectly happy being in the hammock, while the legs and lungs puff along.  Then it happens for the lungs and the legs.

As I increase my cadence, my heart might just get out of the hammock.  But at this time, the legs jump into the pier before the heart has to get out of the hammock.  Soon enough, I'll get that heart out of the hammock.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:39 am

It was 35 degrees with a 26 degree wind chill from a 15 mph north wind.  I equipped myself with three long-sleeved shirts, my long running tights, gloves and a couple of head coverings.  I thought I would be a bit too toasty, but that didn't happen.  For me, it was cold.

2 miles was on the schedule and that's what I did.  It's the 2nd run at the new 160 cadence.  I expected to extend the pier length from under a half mile on Wednesday to over a half mile.  Also, that's what I did.

2 miles, 29:49, 14:53 pace, 125 avg HR, 138 max bpm, 154 avg cadence
1.  14:59, 122 bpm, 157 spm
2.  14:30, 129 bpm, 152 spm

HR zone
zone 2 (108-125 bpm)  10:58
zone 3 (126-138 bpm)  18:05

Comparison to Wednesday's 2 mile 160 cadence
2 miles, 31:07, 15:23 pace, 125 avg bpm, 149 max, 152 avg cadence
1.  15:20, 120 bpm, 155 spm
2.  15:41, 130 bpm, 147 spm

HR zone
zone 2 (108-125) 17:03
zone 3 (126-149) 12:34

Interesting flip flop on the HR zone times, between the two.  I think it being 25 degrees colder this morning was a factor.

In other news, yesterday, I signed up for the marathon, next January.  The price was going up from $150 and there's just something mental about me spending $150 to commit to running a marathon.  More like, "Well, I guess I'm doing this after all."

But I think increasing the cadence before the dog days of Summer will help me gain a bit of speed and stamina.

Now, I'll be observing how tired I get from running and lifting in the same week.  I have an idea or two to try to not get so tired.

That's it!  Come back and see us.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:25 pm

cheers A marathon inked into the schedule.  I love having a goal event and plans to get me there and keep me accountable.  bounce bounce bounce

Your cold weather run went well.  I love running in those conditions but would have probably been in shorts, a short sleeve shirt (with removable sleeves), gloves and a cap.  That's what I ran in this morning but I will admit the wind chill was only 29.

As always I am impressed with your low HR.  Mine just does not stay in the hammock at all...but it isn't usually the limiting factor.  It's my legs that need building up as the distances and pace increase.

I've decided that I'm also impressed with your cadence goals and the process you're using to achieve it.  I had a long talk with the PT about cadence.  I'll share more details in my blog.  I will say that I was getting plenty frustrated and felt much better after our discussion.

Stay well and keep posting.  I'll try to check in more often.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:36 pm

Nice run this morning.  Talk about even splits!  And you held on to your cadence longer and popped back up on the pier for a bit during the last mile.  Heart hanging around in that hammock.    Cool
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:32 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice run this morning.  Talk about even splits!  And you held on to your cadence longer and popped back up on the pier for a bit during the last mile.  Heart hanging around in that hammock.    Cool
Thanks, Nancy.  Well, you know, I had to slow up in that final 1/4 mile to hit that 14:44. Rolling Eyes

As far as the cadence, well, it was 70 degrees this morning and now that I've committed to run the marathon, I figured that I need to try to get better at summertime temperatures.  So there was a lot of mental pushing to maintain the cadence as best as possible, but at least past the first half mile.  That was the motivation.

I can get the heart out of the hammock, but it doesn't fit with the present cadence building scheme.  Cadence was 160.

2 miles, 29:38, 14:44 pace, 128 avg bpm, 154 avg spm.
1.  14:44, 126 bpm, 156 spm
2.  14:44, 131 bpm, 151 spm

Heart rate zone
Zone 3 (126-136)  25:14
Zone 2 (108-125)    4:23

HR zone 3's time is the most lopsided that I've seen in a long time.  Lately, I don't get out of zone 2 (108-125 bpm) until after the end of mile one.  But with the effort to keep up cadence, rightly caused the HR to get with it.  And that's okay.

Nice to see, too.  Tomorrow is lifting.  Don't be a stranger.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:14 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Nice run this morning.  Talk about even splits!  And you held on to your cadence longer and popped back up on the pier for a bit during the last mile.  Heart hanging around in that hammock.    Cool
Thanks, Nancy.  Well, you know, I had to slow up in that final 1/4 mile to hit that 14:44. Rolling Eyes

As far as the cadence, well, it was 70 degrees this morning and now that I've committed to run the marathon, I figured that I need to try to get better at summertime temperatures.  So there was a lot of mental pushing to maintain the cadence as best as possible, but at least past the first half mile.  That was the motivation.

I can get the heart out of the hammock, but it doesn't fit with the present cadence building scheme.  Cadence was 160.

2 miles, 29:38, 14:44 pace, 128 avg bpm, 154 avg spm.
1.  14:44, 126 bpm, 156 spm
2.  14:44, 131 bpm, 151 spm

Heart rate zone
Zone 3 (126-136)  25:14
Zone 2 (108-125)    4:23

HR zone 3's time is the most lopsided that I've seen in a long time.  Lately, I don't get out of zone 2 (108-125 bpm) until after the end of mile one.  But with the effort to keep up cadence, rightly caused the HR to get with it.  And that's okay.

Nice to see, too.  Tomorrow is lifting.  Don't be a stranger.
It's interesting that you mention your HR getting up into zone 3 earlier due to your effort to maintain cadence.  That has been...and still is one of my frustrations with cadence training.  If a higher cadence is more efficient then shouldn't your HR be lower with a higher cadence at the same pace.  If I'm supposed to be doing more easy effort/slower runs (Maffetone type stuff) how do I incorporate a higher cadence?  I know that the answer is shorter steps but I can't get it to work.  That's why I get discouraged and just give up and go back to mindless running.  I do realize that it may take the body some time to adjust to the higher cadence but...

Enjoy your lifting session tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm

That's been my 'it just don't work' gripe with Maffetone, too.  It takes too long to attain keeping the HR low and expect any kind of speed.

In training, the heart rate will adjust, given the same cadence or slower cadence.  It desperately wants to be in the hammock.  So, it's how high of a cadence can you push your legs for how long?  From my experience with my legs, the legs give out LONG before the heart does.

You might look back in your blog 2 years, about this time.  Your HR was higher than last year and this year, but it came down.

As far as you being envious of my HR, keep in mind that I am 2 minutes/mile slower than I want to be.  I can't run at a 12:44 at my present HR.  I could, if I lose a lot of weight.  But even then it would take some time.

Your heart is adapted to your running.  You get going at the cadence you want and the distance you want and the HR will take care of itself.  

A wind chill of 1 degree????  That's a might bit chilly.

-30-

I lifted, this morning.  A cold front came through and dropped temps about 17 degrees, compared to that lovely 70 degree  Wink weather of yesterday.  They say we'll have this cool weather and no sun for about 5 days.  Lows in the 40's.  Could be the last stretch of days with cool weather, like this, until December or later.  

Thinking of bumping the cadence up from 160 to 162, tomorrow.  Read that as impatience and the last run of the week.  If I get to a third of a mile before I jump off the pier, that'll be a victory.

Stay tuned.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 am

Mind over heart.  Eyes on the road.  Ear to the gnome.  Those were the objectives for the first half mile of this morning's run.

It was 36 degrees, misty, and a light breeze.  I did increase the cadence to 162 from 160 because the sooner I get to my cadence objective, the sooner I can increase distances.  The objective is 164-166.  A few weeks ago, I was running at 157.

Knowing that I can't go too far on a new cadence, I set a goal of a bit more than a half mile, which ends up being the turn onto Memorial Drive.  The mind's instructions were, "Ear.  Concentrate on the gnome.  Eyes.  Watch for tumble risks.  Heart.  Time to get you out of the hammock."

1.98 miles, 28:23, 14:20 pace, 125 avg bpm, 153 max bpm. 159 avg cadence
1.  14:12, 128 bpm, 160 spm
2.  14:11, 122 bpm, 157 spm

HR Zones
Zone 4 affraid (144-153)    3:13
Zone 3      (126-143)    8:51
Zone 2      (108-125)  14:18

In spite of just a couple of cadence burps in the first half mile, I met the goal.  Then I just kept going 'until the wheels fall off.'  At about 3/4ths of a mile, my HR was at 140.  I kept the cadence going until just past mile 1, which is the turnaround point.  I stopped for about a minute to catch my breath.  I wasn't running full out, but it was a timely place to whoa.  Kicked that durn heart out of its hammock!  And so early in the morning, too.

The Polar hit mile 1 later than usual and the Garmin was just about spot on, so that's why I ran 1.98 miles, instead of 2 miles on the Polar.

The return mile was odd enough on the HR (in the 120s) that I thought it wasn't functioning properly.  But it's comparable to other runs.  I managed to keep up most of the cadence for the 2nd mile, which was surprising.

Mind over heart.  And I ran Tuesday, too.  So, it was a good week for running and next week, I'll run MWF.

Nancy, my cadence has been a non-heel strike stride for some time.  My feet don't go much past my knee.  That was that Chi Running I learned about 5-7 years ago.  Somehow, though, I still manage to wear out heels on my shoes.

Tomorrow will be lifting.  Thanks for stopping and reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:24 pm

Lifted weights. It was another 36 degree morning, but with 10-15 mph north wind.

It went fine. I wanted to see how my 1 rep max on Bench press is looking. 180 is the max from November. I tried 170 and got it about a third of the way out. I figure that means I'm at 150 or 155. Pretty much means that 200 is not going to happen in 2022, even if I wasn't training for a marathon.

Next week, running is MWF, which makes lifting TTH

Have a good weekend.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:34 am

It was 39 degrees, this morning.  This is the 2nd run at the increased 162 cadence.  Yesterday, the sun showed its face for the first morning since last Tuesday.  

Last week, it was cold and misty, which was appropriate for the trail riders coming from many, many points in Texas and Louisiana and arrived last Friday at Memorial Park.  It was Go Texan Day in Houston, as the 90th Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo gets under way.  There was a parade through downtown on Saturday with the trail riders, bands, and a few floats walking through the streets.  Ahead of the parade, there's the annual Rodeo Run 10K & 5K.  Beginning last Thursday down at NRG Park (where the Astrodome is), 225 bbq cook off teams gather for the weekend event.  Today is the first day of the rodeo and livestock competition that lasts 20 days.  In the evenings is the rodeo with an entertainer afterwards.  This year, George Strait closes the rodeo.

Meanwhile, back to the run, the HR strap was not accurately recording the HR as the avg HR was 106.  At my slowest plod, I can't average 106.

1.99 miles, 27.37, 13:47 pace, 160 avg cadence
1.  14:09, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:25, 160 spm, 75 sl

I was faltering a bit in the first mile, but I put the mind to being the boss again.  I had no idea the second mile was that quick.  That explains why the last two-tenths I was faltering again some, but it wasn't affecting the time.  The early part of the run at 162 was pretty effortless.  THAT was a genuine surprise.

Tomorrow is lifting.  Seems like progress is progressing. scratch

Have a good week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:01 pm

ounce wrote:Lifted weights.  It was another 36 degree morning, but with 10-15 mph north wind.

It went fine.  I wanted to see how my 1 rep max on Bench press is looking.  180 is the max from November.  I tried 170 and got it about a third of the way out.  I figure that means I'm at 150 or 155.  Pretty much means that 200 is not going to happen in 2022, even if I wasn't training for a marathon.

Next week, running is MWF, which makes lifting TTH

Have a good weekend.

Nice effort.  You'll be back to 180 and on the way to 200 before you know it.
ounce wrote:It was 39 degrees, this morning.  This is the 2nd run at the increased 162 cadence.  Yesterday, the sun showed its face for the first morning since last Tuesday.  

Last week, it was cold and misty, which was appropriate for the trail riders coming from many, many points in Texas and Louisiana and arrived last Friday at Memorial Park.  It was Go Texan Day in Houston, as the 90th Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo gets under way.  There was a parade through downtown on Saturday with the trail riders, bands, and a few floats walking through the streets.  Ahead of the parade, there's the annual Rodeo Run 10K & 5K.  Beginning last Thursday down at NRG Park (where the Astrodome is), 225 bbq cook off teams gather for the weekend event.  Today is the first day of the rodeo and livestock competition that lasts 20 days.  In the evenings is the rodeo with an entertainer afterwards.  This year, George Strait closes the rodeo.

Meanwhile, back to the run, the HR strap was not accurately recording the HR as the avg HR was 106.  At my slowest plod, I can't average 106.

1.99 miles, 27.37, 13:47 pace, 160 avg cadence
1.  14:09, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:25, 160 spm, 75 sl

I was faltering a bit in the first mile, but I put the mind to being the boss again.  I had no idea the second mile was that quick.  That explains why the last two-tenths I was faltering again some, but it wasn't affecting the time.  The early part of the run at 162 was pretty effortless.  THAT was a genuine surprise.

Tomorrow is lifting.  Seems like progress is progressing. scratch

Have a good week.
Nice job putting your head in charge and asking the body to follow along!  Huge improvement!

Saw your run on Strava this morning.  Really impressed with your cadence!  Slightly slower than this run but other than a couple dips which I'm sure you have an explanation for, you stayed up on the pier the entire run!  Well done.

Definite progress!!

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:27 am

Thanks, Nancy.  It's been really nice that I've been able to hold the cadence as long as I have.

With regard to today, it was 47 degrees.  Today was the 3rd day at 162.  What is key about this run compared to the other two was this was the first run on two day's rest, instead of 3 or 4.  That was obvious just after the 1/2 mile mark, when I was faltering some.  Regarding that Cadence chart on Strava, the first dip was me stopping to re-tie my shorts because they were slipping.  The dip after mile one was me stopping at the turnaround point.  Now, the sawtooth dip with about a 1/4 mile to go was legitimate cadence swimming.  But I'll take an average cadence of 158 or 159, from Strava or Garmin, respectively, being the 3rd run at 162.

But dagnabbit, the HR is already adapting and fixing to get back into the hammock.  Might be time to bump the cadence.

2 miles, 27:58, 13:57 pace, 128 avg bpm, 139 max bpm, 159 avg cadence
1.  14:05, 124 bpm, 159 spm
2.  13:47, 131 bpm, 159 spm

HR zones
Zone 4 (144-161)    0:00
zone 3 (126-139)   19:30
zone 2 (108-125)    7:54

HR Zones
Zone 4 Term Limits? - Page 23 Affraid (144-153)    3:13

The above 1.98 mile run was my first at 162, last Thursday.  I don't expect to hit Zone 4 again, until I bump the cadence again. 

I was settling into today's run from about 0.7 to 1.5 miles.  Breathing was labored from about 0.4-0.7.  I am still stopping at the turnaround point to get my breath.  I think at whatever cadence I settle, I will need to be able to run the 2 miles without stopping, before increasing the mileage.  It just seems logical to me.  

Overall, I'm making progress.  I think I need to settle into a final training cadence pretty soon, so I can do the cadence as it gets warmer.  166 or 168 or 170.  I think April 1 has to be the date to finalize the cadence.  Seasonal temp here is now 71.  Might have to bump the cadence on Friday to 164.  Think so.

Thanks for the comments, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:46 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  It's been really nice that I've been able to hold the cadence as long as I have.

With regard to today, it was 47 degrees.  Today was the 3rd day at 162.  What is key about this run compared to the other two was this was the first run on two day's rest, instead of 3 or 4.  That was obvious just after the 1/2 mile mark, when I was faltering some.  Regarding that Cadence chart on Strava, the first dip was me stopping to re-tie my shorts because they were slipping.  The dip after mile one was me stopping at the turnaround point.  Now, the sawtooth dip with about a 1/4 mile to go was legitimate cadence swimming.  But I'll take an average cadence of 158 or 159, from Strava or Garmin, respectively, being the 3rd run at 162.

But dagnabbit, the HR is already adapting and fixing to get back into the hammock.  Might be time to bump the cadence.

2 miles, 27:58, 13:57 pace, 128 avg bpm, 139 max bpm, 159 avg cadence
1.  14:05, 124 bpm, 159 spm
2.  13:47, 131 bpm, 159 spm

HR zones
Zone 4 (144-161)    0:00
zone 3 (126-139)   19:30
zone 2 (108-125)    7:54

HR Zones
Zone 4 Term Limits? - Page 23 Affraid (144-153)    3:13

The above 1.98 mile run was my first at 162, last Thursday.  I don't expect to hit Zone 4 again, until I bump the cadence again. 

I was settling into today's run from about 0.7 to 1.5 miles.  Breathing was labored from about 0.4-0.7.  I am still stopping at the turnaround point to get my breath.  I think at whatever cadence I settle, I will need to be able to run the 2 miles without stopping, before increasing the mileage.  It just seems logical to me.  

Overall, I'm making progress.  I think I need to settle into a final training cadence pretty soon, so I can do the cadence as it gets warmer.  166 or 168 or 170.  I think April 1 has to be the date to finalize the cadence.  Seasonal temp here is now 71.  Might have to bump the cadence on Friday to 164.  Think so.

Thanks for the comments, Nancy.
Running Running Approval

Love seeing your progress!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:32 pm

It's this kind of progress that helps the motivation.

-30-

I have some sad news about my alarm clock.  It is mute.  My faithful waker upper of 50 years is mute.  As a result, I didn't make it to the gym, this week.  I have now recruited a couple of 'old' phones to play the part.  I will re-purpose the clock to be in the living room as The Clock. Dead

So, let's toast 5 times to my dearly muted waker upper. Shots
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next