365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who are your teams? List here for good natured ribbing, trash, and the like

+22
Mike MacLellan
charles
Ken Mello
Diego
mountandog
Gobbles
John Kilpatrick
jon c
Alex Kubacki
Dave-O
amyjoann
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
Nick Morris
Glenn
Jerry
dot520
Chris M
Jeff F
Mark B
mul21
healdgator
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

who are your teams?  List here for good natured ribbing, trash, and the like - Page 3 Empty Re: who are your teams? List here for good natured ribbing, trash, and the like

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

healdgator wrote:

And McFadden is/was the beast of all of those guys.

Whaaa?

Portis is 26th all time in the NFL in rushing yards (9923) and 22nd in TDs (75). I'll bet whatever you want McFadden doesn't touch either of those marks.

I know your Gator love is clouding your ability to credit a Cane, but calling a guy with a chronically bad hammy and never having eclipsed 225 carries in a year better than Portis is funny.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

who are your teams?  List here for good natured ribbing, trash, and the like - Page 3 Empty Re: who are your teams? List here for good natured ribbing, trash, and the like

Post  Diego Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 am

Jeff F wrote:
healdgator wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Diego wrote:Has any college team ever had such a high quality list of running backs who all played at the same time as Razorbacks' Felix Jones, McFadden and Peyton Hillis?

Portis, McGahee and Gore on the Hurricanes? They also had Najeh Davenport on that team, so technically they put 4 in the NFL.

Right now I'd give the slight edge to the Canes crew, but I'd say the Razorbacks have a chance to pass them when all is said and done.

McFadden and Jones were in their prime at the same time, the Canes' crew was more of a succession deal. And McFadden is/was the beast of all of those guys. That's saying a lot b/c I though McGahee should have won the Heisman is last season. Also, Gore was never healthy with the Canes. He's been better in the pros than he was at UM (like Hillis, though Hillis was a fullback at Arkansas).

How about Nebraska in '82 - Rozier (Heisman) Roger Craig, and Irving Fryar. Rozier didn't do much in the NFL but Craig and Fryar did. Of course you young guys probably weren't even born when this happened

I thought Fryar was a WR? I guess he probably got some yards on reverses. Those were the Turner Gill years.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

Dave-O wrote:
healdgator wrote:

And McFadden is/was the beast of all of those guys.

Whaaa?

Portis is 26th all time in the NFL in rushing yards (9923) and 22nd in TDs (75). I'll bet whatever you want McFadden doesn't touch either of those marks.

I know your Gator love is clouding your ability to credit a Cane, but calling a guy with a chronically bad hammy and never having eclipsed 225 carries in a year better than Portis is funny.

Well, we were talking about college and McFadden was the 2nd best college running back I have ever seen. It remains to be seen what he will do for his career in the pros, but he's finally starting to turn it on. Portis wasn't half the back McFadden was in college.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:57 am

healdgator wrote:

Well, we were talking about college and McFadden was the 2nd best college running back I have ever seen. It remains to be seen what he will do for his career in the pros, but he's finally starting to turn it on. Portis wasn't half the back McFadden was in college.

Ooooh that makes more sense. I thought we were speaking NFL career. I won't argue against McFadden in college, and would even agree McGahee was better than Portis in NCAA.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 am

[quote="Diego"]
Jeff F wrote:

I thought Fryar was a WR? I guess he probably got some yards on reverses. Those were the Turner Gill years.

Technically I think Fryar was a wingback, but that is mostly a WR position. The Huskers also had Tom Rathman back in those days and he turned out to be a pretty good NFL fullback.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 am

Dave-O wrote:
healdgator wrote:

Ooooh that makes more sense. I thought we were speaking NFL career. I won't argue against McFadden in college, and would even agree McGahee was better than Portis in NCAA.
'
Insult to injury category: Portis is from Gainesville and wanted to play for UF. We wouldn't recruit him as an RB, only as an LB and he wasn't even a priority. The Ol' Ball Coach screwed that one up.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 am

Jeff F wrote:
healdgator wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Diego wrote:Has any college team ever had such a high quality list of running backs who all played at the same time as Razorbacks' Felix Jones, McFadden and Peyton Hillis?

Portis, McGahee and Gore on the Hurricanes? They also had Najeh Davenport on that team, so technically they put 4 in the NFL.

Right now I'd give the slight edge to the Canes crew, but I'd say the Razorbacks have a chance to pass them when all is said and done.

McFadden and Jones were in their prime at the same time, the Canes' crew was more of a succession deal. And McFadden is/was the beast of all of those guys. That's saying a lot b/c I though McGahee should have won the Heisman is last season. Also, Gore was never healthy with the Canes. He's been better in the pros than he was at UM (like Hillis, though Hillis was a fullback at Arkansas).

How about Nebraska in '82 - Rozier (Heisman) Roger Craig, and Irving Fryar. Rozier didn't do much in the NFL but Craig and Fryar did. Of course you young guys probably weren't even born when this happened

I was 2 Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Top 5 college running backs I have seen in person.

Barry Sanders(bowl game against my UW Cowboys)

Sims, Pruitt, and Joe Washington(Man, I'm old)

Marcus Allen(Heisman year)

Bo Jackson(bowl game)
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Didn't see Barry b/c they were on probation. He's still the best NFL running back I've ever seen.

Herschel Walker is the best offensive player in college football history. Bo Jackson was a hack compared to Herschel. McFadden was the best I have seen since Herschel, and AP wasn't far behind.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:57 pm

The best "college" runningback that I have ever seen is Ron Dayne. He had the size, quickness, and vision. He also was in the right system to make him the NCAA's all time leading rusher. For a guy his size, his footwork was unbelievable and allowed him to find the hole. If he got into the secondary, it was all over, because no one was bringing him down.

I think he got drafted into the wrong running system (Giants) that wanted to treat him like a power back, when he never really was one.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Nick Morris wrote:The best "college" runningback that I have ever seen is Ron Dayne. He had the size, quickness, and vision. He also was in the right system to make him the NCAA's all time leading rusher. For a guy his size, his footwork was unbelievable and allowed him to find the hole. If he got into the secondary, it was all over, because no one was bringing him down.

I think he got drafted into the wrong running system (Giants) that wanted to treat him like a power back, when he never really was one.

oooh, I forgot about him. I did see him play against MSU twice when I was there. What a beast!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 am

CFB and CBB: GO BLUE, as for CBB I really don't have a favorite love watching any good game.
NFL: Bears
NBA: Bulls
MLB: The real Sox team "White Sox", NL Padres, started liking them when I was kid due to Tony Gwynn and also today I will follow the team that A. Rowan is on. He was one of my favorite players with the Sox, so I still like to follow him.
NHL: Blackhawks! Piss on the Red Wings!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:59 pm

It was a great day for me...Brewers win game 1 and the Badgers demolish the Cornhuskers!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 am

NFL Green Bay Packers

MLB Los Angeles Dodgers

NCAA Jacksonville Dolphins

Dont have a favorite NHL team and don't care about the NBA.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 am

God, we got pummeled.

Good to see a vote for the JU Dolphins. Artis Gilmore is proud.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:29 am

Diego wrote:Top 5 college running backs I have seen in person.

Bo Jackson(bowl game)

Saw Sanders in college in person and he ran wild on Nebraska in 88 I believe. Another outstanding running back in college was Marcus Dupree as a freshman for Oklahoma in 82. He had injuries and other issues that kept him from becoming an outstanding pro. I am biased but Tommie Frazier was more or less another running back during his years with Nebraska who was outstanding.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 am

jon c wrote:
Diego wrote:Top 5 college running backs I have seen in person.

Bo Jackson(bowl game)

Saw Sanders in college in person and he ran wild on Nebraska in 88 I believe. Another outstanding running back in college was Marcus Dupree as a freshman for Oklahoma in 82. He had injuries and other issues that kept him from becoming an outstanding pro. I am biased but Tommie Frazier was more or less another running back during his years with Nebraska who was outstanding.

You were right Jon, Nebraska does have some holes. But I thought that they would put up a better fight than what they did. They shouldn't have went away from the triple option. Wisconsin was having a hard time stopping it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 am

Nick Morris wrote:You were right Jon, Nebraska does have some holes. But I thought that they would put up a better fight than what they did. They shouldn't have went away from the triple option. Wisconsin was having a hard time stopping it.

I think most people agree that in retrospect, they should not have asked Martinez to pass so much since he tends to be off and on with his accuracy. I suppose because he got off to a good start, they felt he would work through it. Their best play is running Burkhead and for a good part of the game he seemed to be forgotten.

My biggest concern was that the defense would not be able to contain Wilson as they have struggled with lesser qbs that were mobile (Carr (Fresno St.) and Price (Washington) and they have given up 100 yard rushers in every game except Wyoming. Wilson does not panic and has pinpoint accuracy and if he gets time to pass will destroy the other teams defense which is exactly what happened. Wisconsin definitely made their season when he came aboard. However the NU defensive front was supposed to be good this year but either they are not or the opposing teams coaches have outcoached the Pelinis. Not sure which one is right at the moment. The secondary is young except for Dennard... and it shows. The Pelinis have a track record of bringing defenses along as the season goes on, so the story is not at an end yet.

One thing is for certain, every Big 10 opponent now can see a blueprint on how to beat Nebraska. There are no easy wins for Nebraska at this point except perhaps Minnesota.

As for Wisconsin, they are definitely in the top 5 IMO. I guess we'll see how they respond in road games which is where they have traditionally struggled. Since the Big 10 seems to be down this year, it might make it tough for them to get a shot at an LSU, Alabama, or Oklahoma. And with Boise still in the mix we might end up with several unbeaten teams. Also, don't forget that the conference championship games have derailed a number of previously unbeaten teams national championship hopes over the years.

It should be an interesting rest of the season.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 am

Nebraska got mauled, but they are still the 2nd best team in the Big 10. Wisconsin is just waaaay better than everybody else in that conference. Minnesota is the worst team in the country, imo.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 am

healdgator wrote:Nebraska got mauled, but they are still the 2nd best team in the Big 10. Wisconsin is just waaaay better than everybody else in that conference. Minnesota is the worst team in the country, imo.

I am not sure about the country, but Minnesota is definitely the bottom of the conference.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 pm

healdgator wrote:Nebraska got mauled, but they are still the 2nd best team in the Big 10. Wisconsin is just waaaay better than everybody else in that conference. .

I agree completely; I hope Wisconsin will get a chance to play for the national championship. Nebraska will probably struggle if the rest of the Big Ten teams put 8 guys in the box and force Martinez to throw. He gets lucky occasionally and completes a few passses, but when the defense wears down the offensive line and begin to get to Martinez he gets rattled and doesn't know what to do. It will be an interesting season for the Huskers. I see them losing at Michigan and maybe at Penn State.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Penn State is dreadful, Joe Pa is running that program into the ground. Michigan could be dangerous, but we've seen this movie before. Iowa may actually be ok. They seem to regularly have trouble with ISU then Ferentz turns around for a solid season. I think UW and NU are the only top 25 teams in the conference this year, with Michigan still an unknown who could be a top 15ish team or ready for another 5 game losing streak.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:46 pm

healdgator wrote:Penn State is dreadful, Joe Pa is running that program into the ground. Michigan could be dangerous, but we've seen this movie before. Iowa may actually be ok. They seem to regularly have trouble with ISU then Ferentz turns around for a solid season. I think UW and NU are the only top 25 teams in the conference this year, with Michigan still an unknown who could be a top 15ish team or ready for another 5 game losing streak.

Um, I'm insulted by your lack of mention of Illinois, currently undefeated and ranked in the top 20. I suppose that may have to do with your blind hatred of the Zooker though! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:28 pm

mul21 wrote:
healdgator wrote:Penn State is dreadful, Joe Pa is running that program into the ground. Michigan could be dangerous, but we've seen this movie before. Iowa may actually be ok. They seem to regularly have trouble with ISU then Ferentz turns around for a solid season. I think UW and NU are the only top 25 teams in the conference this year, with Michigan still an unknown who could be a top 15ish team or ready for another 5 game losing streak.

Um, I'm insulted by your lack of mention of Illinois, currently undefeated and ranked in the top 20. I suppose that may have to do with your blind hatred of the Zooker though! lol!

Oh, it's not blind, buddy. It's not blind.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:46 pm

The Hokies have an awful offensive line and poor play calling, producing inconsistent results. The lose badly to a highly ranked team after a media build up to the game. Frank Beamer announces that we are a block or two and a read or two away from being really good on offense. The defense plays well, limiting a good quarterback to a poor completion percentage and holds the running game to reasonable damage.

Boy, does this sound familiar.... Go Hokies - maybe one of these days..... Must of been what it felt like to root for a Marty Schottenheimer team during the playoffs.....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next