365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can you run faster in heavier shoes?

3 posters

Go down

How can you run faster in heavier shoes? Empty How can you run faster in heavier shoes?

Post  Diego Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I have noticed that since changing shoes on my easy/GA runs from the Brooks Kinvara I had been using this summer to a heavier (and much older pair of) Brooks Ghost shoes this week, running times for my usual 8 mile run have improved by 20 seconds/mile. Much lower heart rate, too. Dew points in the AM haven't been that different.

What gives?

Too much flexibility in the Kinvara's? The effect of one 26.2 mile training run 10 days ago? Mental?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

How can you run faster in heavier shoes? Empty Re: How can you run faster in heavier shoes?

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 pm

I think the answer is that there is really little correlation between weight of shoes and running paces, especially in training runs. There may be some in races but I think you are looking at the wrong variable in why your paces have improved. Faster paces plus much lower heart rate? That's typically the result of cooler temps, that same thing happens to me usually in the fall when temps drop pretty good.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

How can you run faster in heavier shoes? Empty Re: How can you run faster in heavier shoes?

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 pm

My bet is that your fitness is continuing to improve.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down