Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faster Or Slower?

+15
GregC
jdholland
Ed
KBFitz
charles.moman
charles
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
mul21
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Schuey
Admin
Jack_Scaff
19 posters

Go down

Are you still capabale of a peak performance, or are you in a state of decline (or decay)?

Faster Or Slower? Vote_lcap82%Faster Or Slower? Vote_rcap 82% 
[ 18 ]
Faster Or Slower? Vote_lcap14%Faster Or Slower? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Faster Or Slower? Vote_lcap4%Faster Or Slower? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 22

Faster Or Slower? Empty Faster Or Slower?

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 am

At this stage of my life, for whatever reason, I feel as though I have peaked. I'm sure it is lifestyle (more beer, less running), age (I'm damn near 43), and a general lack of motivation (I like sleeping more than getting up at 4:30 AM).

So how about you?
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Faster Or Slower? Empty Re: Faster Or Slower?

Post  Admin Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 am

I ran my PR just before turning 45 years old. I know I can still PR, and probably can continue improving for another couple of years. Will I? *shrug*

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 am

Well Jack that is a good question. I still think that I can get faster but there is no doubt that the gains are getting smaller and well I do feel that I'm getting close to my peak. If not there in the marathon!

I ran my first marathon in 2005 when I was 34 but I have now ran my last 3 best marathons at the ages of 38 and 39. And just turning 40, like said above still believe there is some room for improvement. The question is how much faster?? I do know that at some point the overall PR's will stop but that doesn't mean I can't shoot for new age group PR's.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 am

I have no doubt I can still PR. I am 43, no injury and have done 70mpw two marathon trainings. 70mpw, first time, it was scary; 2nd time, it became a norm. June when I planned my 8-10 weeks base building, I felt hard not to get over 70mpw. The reality is I did three 50+ weeks, one 11, and one 65 so far.

Summer heat is just the reason on the surface as 60mpw is good enough training for me and I have time. Lack of motivation is the biggest problem. I have never felt so boring running before.

The 2nd problem is body composition. I am running more, faster and eat less than 2 years ago, yet fatter. I should have no problem to get to my best weight if I really discipline, but for god's sake, I am just someone who wants to run faster, not a professional model. Seems like aging becomes a factor now. Bite me.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 am

On my way up. Figure I can use the next couple years before "real life" hits to build a ridiculous base and still have a few years to peak after that.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 am

Having just hit a 70 mile week for the first time ever, only raced 4 marathons, and still being in my mid 30s, I see no reason why I don't have at least another 4-5 years of improvements left realistically. Now, whether I have to motivation to jack my mileage to the point that's possible, I have no idea yet!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 am

I'm in the thick of "real life" now, but am still improving. I hope it continues for a while, although I started a little later in the game than some others. I am really hoping to improve running during the next marathon cycle...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 am

I left all my PRs back in the 1990s when I was in my early 30s, but I am still running some of the times that I ran when I was in my early 40s (I'm now 49). My husband is convinced that if I figured out what I really wanted to train for (marathons vs. half marathons vs. shorter stuff) that I could bring my times down even further. I just need to figure all that out and quickly as I'll be 50 in January - no time like the present new AG.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 am

I do not think that I am near my peak yet. In fact, I believe that I have only started climbing the mountain. I am currently on my 4th marathon training cycle and will turn only 31 this fall. There are many more years of improvement left in my body. Now, if I actually put in the time and effort for the next 10 years or so, I am not so sure. One would think that at some point I will start a family and some of those things will become more important.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 am

Unlike 1L and others . . . I didn't run very fast in my 30s. Plus I was late to running. Started when I was 30. I am 40 and will be 41 a week from today. I know I can continue to improve into my 50s. I have a lot of miles left in my legs. I have run PRs for three consecutive years and should be able to run a PR again this year - although all the eggs are in one basket. I am running the Memphis St. Jude Marathon in December and that is it for the year. Then things get real crazy as our first child is scheduled to arrive in November. Not much to do the first month or so except change diapers!

Jack, with the proper motivation and training you could easily peak again. But at a certain point in life for some folks - other interests are more important than getting up at 4:30 a.m. and pounding out 50+ miles a week.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 am

I only began running in January, so I know I can improve.
At almost 60 (10/05) - I am really more concerned with being active that worrying too much about PRs.
When it cools down I will work to get under 27 in the 5K.
In my first marathon I would like to be around 4:30, but finishing is a good goal too.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 am

I'm 52 and I can certainly improve on my best times at all distances. I didn't start running until I was in my 40's and only began to train with some focus 4 years ago. So my baseline is recent. Real improvement (not just in age-graded terms) gets more difficult with each passing year, but it can be obtained with commitment, consistency and barring major injury. Training to attain levels of fitness at which one is competitive isn't for everybody. In fact, it's not for most. It's a deliberate choice with no normative import.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:51 am

Like Kevin, I didn't start training hard until I was in my 40"s. At 50 I am pretty sure I can still PR every distance. I think it is entirely different for someone in their 30's that had trained hard through their younger years. There seems to be very few who can hold the same level of fitness and therefore speed over many years. However, starting later gives you the ability to add layers of strength as you build the base miles and that can lead to us old folks chasing PR's. So what I am thinking is there is a window of opportunity but it is limited. Say you open it at 20, it will probably close around 30. As the window may be even shorter. Injuries probably are what cause most of us old people to slow or stop. Jack you have plenty of PR's left!
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  jdholland Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 am

I'm 35 and started running just less than 2 1/2 years ago, so I hope I have at least a few more years of improvement left. I'm still at the point where I've been reducing my PR's by pretty significant chunks, but I know that will likely end fairly soon. Motivation isn't an issue, but wanting to do too much too soon is a problem for me.
jdholland
jdholland

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 am

I ran my first marathon in 1998 at the age of 25. Now, 13 years later, I'm still chasing PRs, although they are harder to come by these days. My last PR came in 2009 in the marathon,.. I think I still have one left in me, but I'm far from certain.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Like Kevin and Ed, I started running consistently when I turned 40 and and now at 46 I feel that I will definitely be able to PR across all distances. Even though I've found a training routine that works for me, I feel that I'm just scratching the surface with respect to exploring my various training options.

I don't know how long you've been running Jack but I think there is a good chance that you've got a number of PR's left in there. I don't buy into the belief that more miles is the only or best way to improve, especially for master runners. For me, improvement is all about intensity, nutrition and recovery which includes rest. I don't think you have to necessarily train more but perhaps just differently than you have in the past.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:49 pm

I have not yet run my fastest marathon.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:47 pm

At 49 (and 3 months short of 50) my best times are behind me. But I like to think my best race experiences are ahead.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Well I'll be 55 next month so you would think my best times are behind me. But I've only been running for a little over 4 years and feel like I'm getting stronger. So I just may have a PR or 2 ahead of me.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down