365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will I Be Faster or Slower

4 posters

Go down

Will I Be Faster or Slower Empty Will I Be Faster or Slower

Post  mountandog Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I ran a significant PR in Boston using the Pfitzinger 18 wk/70 miles plan. That is an average of about 62 miles per week, peaking at 72 miles with four 20+ mile runs.

After recovering from Boston for about four weeks with a reverse taper, the most recent 10 weeks, I have averaged about 45 miles (peak around 58 miles) with a good solid speed workout once a week and a long run each week from 15 - 20 miles, however with only one at 20. FYI - I ran a 20k race that would have translated to a 1/2 marathon PR on July 4th a bit better than my Boston time would have predicted using MacMillan's calculator. I am not however fooling myself into thinking that my recent training is as intense as my Boston training. It's not.

So my question is, will I be faster or slower for a Labor Day weekend marathon? Does the base I built from my Boston cycle carry over into this next marathon and I'm building from there? Am I just maintaining my prior level? Am I slowly degrading due to the 25% less mileage and fewer 20 mile long runs?

What is your projection? What has your experience taught you?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Will I Be Faster or Slower Empty Re: Will I Be Faster or Slower

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm

If I followed your schedule, I would think I would be slower. Not to mention the perfect condition of Boston this year.

On the other hand, I didn't run Boston this year, though I did in 2009. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm

You certainly carryover and build off of the base that you built during your Boston training. You may not be running as many miles now but with the speed work you may be training with more intensity. I think that with continued speed work and some long runs that you will be capable of PRing your upcoming marathon. That, of course, is dependent on weather and all the other things that effect our outcomes.

I've been very successful on 45 miles a week of running. I typically do 2 speed sessions, a pace run and long run each week. My cross training varies but it typically consists of cycling and either swimming or p90x.

Only you know how much you're putting into this training cycle compared to Boston but just because it is fewer miles does not mean that it will be less effective.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I'd say the weather on Labor Day will be more of a factor than the training since it will be far more unpredicatable. I think your basse is definitely solid enough and like Tim, I have run a lot of excellent races on 45 mpw.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down