365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laugh at the Rules

+34
Jeff F
Nick Morris
Dave P
Glenn
JohnP
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Joel H
Penelope
jon c
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
mul21
Julie
ChasMcG
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
Michael Mitchell
Ken Mello
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
Chris M
Natalie
dot520
Schuey
Kenny B.
Matt W
Pete B
charles
Jerry
Peg Coover
38 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Laugh at the Rules - Page 11 Empty Re: Laugh at the Rules

Post  Peg Coover Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, Jon. We got soaked at the end!

I put up a race report, but I will share some details here too. 2:01:57. I wanted to get under 2 hours but this was probably a realistic effort. The Garmin was deceiving and when that happens I try to make sure the lap pace is lower than what I want, but I couldn't get it down! Looking at the results, I was pleased to be just a little slower than Darla today, who is my age and always beats me! Her time was actually slower than my last year's time....I was 8/21. I would've won the 50-54 group, damn it! But when I turn 50, all these fast ladies I know will too! GRRR.

Anyway, these are my splits: 9:34, 9:27, 9:18, 9:14, 9:21, 9:07, 9:12, 9:03, 9:00, 9:35, 9:20, 9:30, 9:19, :53.

The worst thing that can possibly happen, happened. My alarm didn't go off! Usually I would wake up, but I had been awake earlier and had trouble going back to sleep and I think I finally had gotten back into deep sleep. The blackberry thought it was going off, but there was no sound! Luckily my friend called. I was thinking, "why are they calling so early, my alarm hasn't gone off yet." She wanted a bike tube and I said, "Wait, what time is it?" She said, "What time is it????" It was 5:45. I was supposed to be at their house at 5:50. I had planned to get up at 4:30. FREAK OUT! I had everything ready thank goodness, and got over there in about 15 mins, we loaded their bikes and jetted. We arrived at 6:35, which was just enough time for me to stand in line at the portapotties! Wow! I never want to do that again! (Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode with the runner?)

I won't go over the mile by mile replay here. I was pretty consistent, and I gave it a shot in the middle miles but it wasn't to be. It was fun passing tons of people from mile 5 on! I think only one person passed me. I know from experience what it feels like to fade and I'm very glad I felt strong the whole way. The first 6 miles were 56:01 and the last 6 were 55:47, so I can safely say I was pretty consistent with a slight negative!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Good job! Looks like things are right on track for a great marathon in a few weeks here.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 am

Great job on the race Peg. Way to negative split it. Hopefully you didn't expend too much energy stressing over waking up late. That's probably everyone's big fear.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 am

Big week--5, 10, 5, 10, 20. Last big week! It's also going to be busy with things at school, so it will be interesting to get those runs in!

Yesterday I wanted to go run so bad! It was just gorgeous. But I didn't. I sat outside and read for a while, putting off grading 127 science tests as long as possible!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 pm

5 miles tonight. Really nice out--cool even. I took the dog. Felt really comfortable pace at around 10:30's.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 pm

10 miles at a pretty good pace--probably too fast--of 10:05 mpm. It was sunny and windy.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Peg Coover wrote:10 miles at a pretty good pace--probably too fast--of 10:05 mpm. It was sunny and windy.

Nice job! Your running is getting better and better!

127 science tests? Yikes - I'm terrified! Better you than me.
affraid
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Ken Mello wrote:
Peg Coover wrote:10 miles at a pretty good pace--probably too fast--of 10:05 mpm. It was sunny and windy.

Nice job! Your running is getting better and better!

127 science tests? Yikes - I'm terrified! Better you than me.
affraid

Thanks Ken--yes, me too! Terrified everytime I assign something!!

5 miles today--wore the new shoes--still making my feet go numb. I really loosened the strings after 3 and it helped, but I'm getting a little pissed off.

Looking forward to FRIDAY and REST day tomorrow.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 am

Almost taper time!! This place is getting more fun all the time. Basketball
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Rest days are very good. Nice week going, 50 miles. Good luck on the 20 tomorrow. I missed why the feet are numb, is this a new type of shoe you are wearing?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:08 pm

The shoes are new, same Asics Nimbus but model 13--my last three pair were 12's....They just fit a little differently. I've usually had issues with the first few runs of new shoes, but my last couple pair none at all!

But, today I kept the laces loose and wore them for the whole 10 miles and they felt good! And the run was great! Supposed to be MP, and I was a bit slower at 10:24 but I think that is close enough! Felt great the whole time!! It was cool and sunny and windy.

One more biggie tomorrow!!!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:34 am

My 20 was a challenge. I got out too late and it was much warmer than the day before. I changed clothes half way as I was soaked. I only did one gel at mile 7...by the time mile 14 came I didn't think my stomach could take it so I just had gatorade. The last four I really had to gut it out. At that point my legs were also telling me they were tired. Up to that point it was the heat and wind that were beating me down. My pace ended up the same as the day I ran 19, when it was super humid and hot. I wish it would have been a great 20, but it was over 10 mins slower than last time....Oh well, it is done.

Let the taper begin.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:03 am

But you finished it right? I'm often very happy for a lousy long run - I believe they are needed in the cycle.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:29 am

Way to gut out that final 20! I haven't been on the blogs much, but I think we've been on the same plan and schedule, because I just finished a 50 mile week with a 10 pace/20 LSD this weekend, and just started taper for St. George on 10/1.

Good luck in Twin Cities!
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:47 am

a 20 is a 20 and you had good time on your feet. You'll do great in MN!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks you guys!

Rest day yesterday. Today I did the 8 for the mid week--it was just perfect weather and both Wed and Thurs it is supposed to be windy and rainy. Rather do 5 on those days than 8, and my legs and everything felt good. I never felt winded-- a few gradual hills. Total time 1:24.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 am

Congrats on the half marathon! It looks like you ran very consistently. Great job on getting that final 20 in before taper. Best of luck!

Can you make your tests multiple choice so you just put them in that machine instead of grading them yourself? 127 seems like a ton of tests to grade. I'd be putting that off, too!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm with Michele on the lousy long run thing. I think they build mental strength because it forces you to perservere when it's not happening that day.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about the marathon a lot on that long run, about not giving up when it hurts or when you want to quit.

Tonight was 5--it was so cool, almost cold because I'm not expecting it! I wore shorts, a long sleeve base AND a cotton tee over it and I never got too warm! Easy pace. No watch.

Kathy, I made part of my test questions so they can go through the machine, but I don't feel right making all of them that way....And they did an awesome job on the 3 essay questions! Surprised me because last year the majority was pretty lazy!

And I had to grade 127 lab reports last night! EEEK! I have to admit, I skimmed them until the conclusion part so I was unable to find all of their spelling errors, etc. but since I'm looking for what they learned in lab, that is the most important part to me! It took about 2 hours and I have one class left to finish tonight.....

I found the mile by mile "how to run a great Twin Cities marathon" post that I found on Runners World 2 years ago again and I've been reading it and looking at the course map and elevation. I just feel this extra sense of anticipation and energy....I hope it carries thru to a great PR!!

Good luck to you too Glenn!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 am

Regarding Twin Cities, make sure to hold back in the middle miles in the Park. It is a beautiful part of the course, but I got a bit carried aways there and paid for it a bit on the climb around mile 19-20. Loved the race and the cities though, and I really ran well despite the middle miles. Keep up the good work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 pm

"Passing tons of people from mile 5 on" & Darla was slower than your time last year? You rock Peg!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Peg have you run Twin Cities before? I am sure you can PR as long as it's not too hot (not that it typically is, but you know how weather can affect pace).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 am

John, thanks for the smile!

Julie, I have run Twin Cities twice before, in 2007 when it was super hot (same day as Chicago) and 2009.

Michele, thanks for the advice! You are correct! That post I referred to that I saved to my computer also says something similar--miles 8-11 are where most people ruin their TC marathon. Both times I ran it I really slowed the last 5-6 miles (of course, that's been the case in all my marathons!) The hills at the end are really tough though!

If I don't feel like I'm going too slow the first half, then I better be slowing down!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:40 am

Oh, I forgot to post my run. It was low 40's. Can you believe that??? And a light rain. I had to wear tights, long sleeve and a jacket, and gloves for goodness sake! 4 miles. The plan called for 5 but I'm doing a 5k tomorrow and will pick up an extra one with my warm up.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:37 am

After running TCM in 2007 I would agree that the uphill comes at a tough time around 20. I felt so bad after that race. That was my first one since the 1980s. I've come a long way since then. I did enjoy the course though.

Sounds like your running is going well Peg. It is indeed a lot cooler around here all of a sudden. Hope that your taper goes well also!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next