365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 12 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210211

Two things are atypical for the next 7 days of the forecast. 4 days of 'wintry mix' or snow. Lows below freezing, meaning the overpasses freeze over each night. And we have a LOT of overpasses and connecting ramps.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:59 pm

ounce wrote:Term Limits? - Page 12 20210211

Two things are atypical for the next 7 days of the forecast.  4 days of 'wintry mix' or snow.  Lows below freezing, meaning the overpasses freeze over each night.  And we have a LOT of overpasses and connecting ramps.
That is COLD for your area!  I heard there have been some nasty wrecks up near Fort Worth.  I know that's a fair distance away from you but it sounds like this storm is pretty widespread.

Movie and popcorn maybe?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Yes, it is wide-spread throughout the state. Today, Austin was getting sleet, so they'll be playing bumper cars. In Fort Worth's accident, it occurred in a two lane, express, toll part of I-35-W, where the 2 lanes are bordered by the temporary, concrete highway dividers on each side of the two lanes. So, if a car stalls in one lane, everybody has to get in the other.

In this case, someone spun out and there was absolutely nowhere oncoming traffic could go. It's the freeway equivalent of a heart attack.

Fort Worth is 250 miles north. I love Fort Worth. That's where TCU is.

I will be careful, tomorrow. The freeways will be fine. Air temperature will be around 33 at sunrise. It's to be above 32 during the daylight, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 pm

Mission accomplished, this morning. While it was 31 in Huntsville when I arrived, it was dry. The wind was biting, though.

Except for about 10 out of 254 counties, the whole state is under a winter storm watch or warning from Sunday night to Tuesday morning.

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210212
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm

I went to the gym, this morning. Windy and 33 degrees. I did come up with a positive to the weather. Unlike the Summer, I can run at any time today up at Memorial Park.

I found the below map with the various watches and warnings overplayed from. The NWS Storm Prediction Center. For some reason, I don't think a Winter Storm Warning in Texas isn't as bad as the same in Oregon. What y'all are getting today, arrives here on Monday.

A Meteorologist that used to be in Houston, moved to Denver. I'm more or less a groupie because he always answered my questions. He explained to me that what Houston is getting is a South Dakota style Winter. That's how rare this is for us.

Term Limits? - Page 12 Fb_img11
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Good to hear that you safely got your chores done on Friday.

The gym is always a good option no matter the weather...provided you can get there safely.  It actually does sound like your running opportunities increase during this winter weather...not so much here.  Conditions haven't been safe for running since Thursday.  It's been borderline but my cold symptoms intensified so I decided I should take it easy and not push my luck.  We had planned to drive to the coast Sunday and back on Monday.  We just vetoed those plans after looking at our forecast.  We're not worried about driving over Mt. Hood in winter conditions but when the Portland area and the road to the coast are icy things are dangerous.  To many inexperienced drivers! 

Stay warm and safe!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 pm

Well, be proactive in your cold. Weights can, uh, wait. Hehe.

I figured everyone in Oregon knew how to drive in the snow. I recognize my own inadequacies and don't drive in it.

It might be too cold in the morning for me to run. They say to be off the roads by 3 p.m. The descriptor on the local news has changed from 'historic' to 'once in a lifetime' event. Galveston may even get snow. They also say the forecast models are getting more in line, except the temps may be too warm.

I'm ready, but expecting power outages. I can tap into my hurricane supplies and set the freezer stuff outside.

We are expecting to break the all-time lowest high of 20 and maybe the all-time low of 5. Houston to get 1-3" of snow. The fun begins tomorrow afternoon.

Check out how the forecast has changed in 2 days.

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210210
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:19 pm

ounce wrote:Well, be proactive in your cold.  Weights can, uh, wait.  Hehe.

I figured everyone in Oregon knew how to drive in the snow.  I recognize my own inadequacies and don't drive in it.

It might be too cold in the morning for me to run.  They say to be off the roads by 3 p.m.  The descriptor on the local news has changed from 'historic' to 'once in a lifetime' event.  Galveston may even get snow.   They also say the forecast models are getting more in line, except the temps may be too warm.

I'm ready, but expecting power outages.  I can tap into my hurricane supplies and set the freezer stuff outside.

We are expecting to break the all-time lowest high of 20 and maybe the all-time low of 5.  Houston to get 1-3" of snow.  The fun begins tomorrow afternoon.

Check out how the forecast has changed in 2 days.

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210210
Nice pun.   Very Happy  We took a day off from weights and stretched this morning.  Cold is better but I'm still taking Emergen-C.

Oh Portland drivers DO NOT know how to drive in the ice and snow!  

I can't believe your forecast...did they not realize it's Texas.  I like the low/high on Monday...no difference.  And Tuesday's low.   What a Face  Glad to hear you're prepared for the potential for a power outage.  We ended up with maybe 7" of snow so far and cold temps but nothing really unusual for our area.  Portland and the west side of the mountains got freezing rain which is much more damaging.  Lot's of power outages and accidents.  

Looks like this is going to be one for the record books.  Stay safe and enjoy the ride...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 pm

I just need to charge up the batteries, so the phones can stay charged.

Snow pellets are falling about 15 miles northwest of downtown Houston, but in Harris County.

Nancy, I noticed you are flanked by Winter Storm Warnings. It said 15 inches of snow are possible and more above 4,000 feet. That's the difference between our Warning and your Warning.

If you ever wanted to see Texas all pink, as if it was for a Susan G Comen breast cancer 5K, here it is. Pink is a Winter Storm Warning.

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210213
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm

ounce wrote:I just need to charge up the batteries, so the phones can stay charged.

Snow pellets are falling about 15 miles northwest of downtown Houston, but in Harris County.  

Nancy, I noticed you are flanked by Winter Storm Warnings.  It said 15 inches of snow are possible and more above 4,000 feet.  That's the difference between our Warning and your Warning.

If you ever wanted to see Texas all pink, as if it was for a Susan G Comen breast cancer 5K, here it is.  Pink is a Winter Storm Warning.

They just showed the map of the US on the national news and pointed out the pink Texas!  I think the worst of our storm has already moved through heading your way.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:00 pm

Your storm gets here maybe Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

We have a first ever issued Wind Chill Advisory as the wind chill is expected to be below zero.

Right now, it's 28 degrees. The freezing rain and sleet is to change to snow overnight with an average wind of 26-30 mph that is to be constant. The snow is to be gone by 10 a.m. CT and that's when the bottom falls out of the temperature until Tuesday sunrise. The all time low is 5 degrees from 1930.
The forecast below is from 7:00 p.m. CT

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210211
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:14 am

Power went out at 2;12 CT. Somehow heard a transformer go out. Need CPAP to sleep.
A little snow has fallen.
17 degrees.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:44 am

I figured out I could somewhat sleep in a living room chair. I have less than an inch of snow, but the ground is covered. Still no power at this writing. The bars on my phone is mainly 1 bar, sometimes 2. So, can't get any live broadcasts..
Skies are clearing and the wind is blowing. 14 degrees with a wind chill of 4 or so.

But the photo below is one of those "Whoa, duuude" moments. Snow on the beaches of Galveston! I'd have to check when last that happened.

But while it's cold in my apt, I have enough blankets and food for me to last many days more than this cold spell will last. And I have 2 sources to charge my phone. 70 degrees coming on Sunday.
Y'all having the experience of blizzards and the like means y'all can handle a hurricane, as far as preparation. It's the same thing.

Took 10 minutes to load. Usually just gets slurped right up.

Term Limits? - Page 12 20210212
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:26 pm

ounce wrote:Power went out at 2;12 CT.  Somehow heard a transformer go out.  Need CPAP to sleep.
A little snow has fallen.
17 degrees.

ounce wrote:I figured out I could somewhat sleep in a living room chair.  I have less than an inch of snow, but the ground is covered.  Still no power at this writing.  The bars on my phone is mainly 1 bar, sometimes 2.  So, can't get any live broadcasts..  
Skies are clearing and the wind is blowing.  14 degrees with a wind chill of 4 or so.

But the photo below is one of those "Whoa, duuude" moments.  Snow on the beaches of Galveston!  I'd have to check when last that happened.

But while it's cold in my apt, I have enough blankets and food for me to last many days more than this cold spell will last.  And I have 2 sources to charge my phone.  70 degrees coming on Sunday.
Y'all having the experience of blizzards and the like means y'all can handle a hurricane, as far as preparation.  It's the same thing.

Took 10 minutes to load.  Usually just gets slurped right up.

It is an interesting twist for you.  Much harder to prepare for events that happen infrequently.  We're used to power outages here.  Not so much in Central Oregon as we don't have the tall trees and usually get snow not ice.  But Sandy...where my family lives...and the surrounding areas including Portland when they get freezing rain often lose power for several days.  As a result many people are equipped with generators so they can plug in needed appliances.  Some even are able to plug in at the fuse box and power the entire house.

Stay safe and warm.  Glad you're able to sleep even if it's not an ideal situation.

We got a bit more snow last night but not much.  It's above freezing for the first time in several days.  It's going to turn into a sloppy mess on our gravel road as it has a very poor base.  

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:28 am

Your storm arrives Tuesday night with rain and freezing rain with the winter storm warning starting midnight Wednesday morning to 6 a.m. Thursday.

With the effects of freezing rain vs sleet etched into my mind, I figure we will have more tree-related.power outages. The lion's share of outages are power generation issues, not tree issues, because the storm has affected the whole state.

So I am resigning myself to no power until Thursday evening. I've emptied the frig into the patio and will do similar for the freezer section today. Might as well take advantage of the cold for something good.

I going to try the bed, now. I've slept pretty well from 8:30 to 12:45 in the chair. Might have to lift my head up some with pillows to see how that works. I shall report back. Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Your storm is presently at the NM/TX/CO border and set to see its effects at midnight. It's supposed to hit north and west of Houston harder than Houston proper. We will still get a tenth of an inch, which isn't supposed to weight down power lines enough to break. We'll see.

I HAVE POWER!! 36 hours of dark, cold, and 1 bar of phone service. What did I do first? Started charging the phone charger back up, in case it cuts off again.

Now waiting on the apt water boiler to heat enough water to run through the lines to heat the apts up.

Tuesday's low was 13. The winds didn't decrease enough to allow radiation cooling. 3 in Huntsville.

Once your storm clears out tomorrow, that'll be it.

Thursday afternoon, I am supposed to get my 1st vaccine injection. It'll be around 35 degrees then. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets postponed for our winter storms.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm

ounce wrote:Your storm is presently at the NM/TX/CO border and set to see its effects at midnight.  It's supposed to hit north and west of Houston harder than Houston proper.  We will still get a tenth of an inch, which isn't supposed to weight down power lines enough to break.  We'll see.

I HAVE POWER!!  36 hours of dark, cold, and 1 bar of phone service.  What did I do first?  Started charging the phone charger back up, in case it cuts off again.

Now waiting on the apt water boiler to heat enough water to run through the lines to heat the apts up.

Tuesday's low was 13.  The winds didn't decrease enough to allow radiation cooling.  3 in Huntsville.

Once your storm clears out tomorrow, that'll be it.  

Thursday afternoon, I am supposed to get my 1st vaccine injection.  It'll be around 35 degrees then.  Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets postponed for our winter storms.
Good to hear that you're safe and well and have power.  Boy have you guys been in the news!  Hope this next storm passes quickly with less damage.

We're back to more "normal" February weather.  Freezing nights and above freezing days.  I snuck out for a run yesterday afternoon...they plowed the multi-use trails.   Laughing

Hope you're able to get your vaccination as scheduled.  My mom, brother, and his wife got theirs on Monday.  Marty and I aren't eligible yet and would prefer to wait a bit anyway.

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 pm

I was going to jump in post out our big winter storm, complete with drifting snow and and capped off with a dandy ice storm... but I see Doug has once again managed to outdo our tale of woe. Jeepers! Glad you got your power back. It sounds like a nightmare.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm

Mark B wrote:I was going to jump in post out our big winter storm, complete with drifting snow and and capped off with a dandy ice storm... but I see Doug has once again managed to outdo our tale of woe. Jeepers! Glad you got your power back. It sounds like a nightmare.
LOL...yup.  I think Doug's story has ours beat hands down.  Razz
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I was going to jump in post out our big winter storm, complete with drifting snow and and capped off with a dandy ice storm... but I see Doug has once again managed to outdo our tale of woe. Jeepers! Glad you got your power back. It sounds like a nightmare.
LOL...yup.  I think Doug's story has ours beat hands down.  Razz

I mean, we did get an unexpected snowdrift formed up in front of our front door, and siding and railings (and trees) festooned with icicles, but we managed to get away with the power still on the whole time. We moved to a part of town that gets a LOT more east wind out of the Columbia River Gorge, so it was quite a show. 

That said, Doug definitely wins. How cold did it get in your house? I've seen photos of water frozen in bathtubs, which means there's likely to be a whole lot of burst pipes discovered in the country's midsection one the big thaw begins.  affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:29 pm

It's definitely been one for the books. All week, we have had North or South Dakota winter. Last week, TV was telling us to expect 3 storms along with the Polar Vortex for this week. Hype words were "generational," "once in a lifetime," and "historic." It was all three. The grid collapse was just icing on the cake. Wintertime in Texas will see many power generating units getting maintenance done, in preparation for Summer. The whole state never has the same issue at the same time. Until now.

The alerts started after the Super Bowl. By last Wednesday, they were not backing away. It was then that I started prepping as if a hurricane was coming. Bought food, washed clothes,, gassed up cars, etc.

All three hit on time, Sunday afternoon, Tuesday.night, and tonight. Tonight's is the weakest. As Nancy said, it's all playing out on national news.

Tuesday afternoon, it sounded like water might be a problem. You see, that 36 hour stretch from Monday at 2 a.m. to Tuesday afternoon, my phone was only getting 1 or 2 bars. Nothing live. I wasn't getting good information. Hearing about the water problem, I took a shower, then filled every container I could with water. So, now, I can make it through until Sunday or Monday. Water pressure and the boil water order should be done by then.

Sleep has been the greatest sacrifice. As I write this, the lights have gone out. I hope they are only out for an hour or two, like the last roll. The lights were on about 5 or 6 hours until a few minutes ago.

Because of my sleep apnea, I will.doze in my chair in the living room. When the lights come back on next, I will be in bed within 15 minutes. Hoping to get a stretch of 5 hours with my CPAP machine.

It'll be 67 degrees on Saturday. Sorry if this rambled some. I'm sleepy. But the lights were on long enough for me to re-charge my battery pack and for the apt heater to warm up the apt. I actually could take off a couple of layers.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:00 pm

Good to hear that you've had power at least part of the time.  Gives you time to recharge your phone and warm up the apt a bit.  I heard about the water issues...maybe even before you did if you were having trouble with your phone.

Hope this last storm isn't as severe and passes quickly.  They need to get those windmills up and going to generate power!

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:14 pm

Turns out the lights were only out for 2 hours. Then I quickly changed and was in bed in 5 minutes. The power hasn't been off since. Slept hard and slept long.

Wednesday morning, 1.3 million customers in Houston were out of power. Now, the number is 20,000. The South Texas Nuclear Project came on line.
Now we have to boil water until Sunday or Monday. I have 2 gallons of water plus a little that's leftover from being boiled.
But we're doing a lot better. It's like after a hurricane, to some degree, but without the heat 'n humidity.

I obtained my 1st covid shot, this afternoon. I got the Moderna flavor at a Walmart.

Things are good. 1 more 25 degree night, tonight, then mid 60s for the next 10 day's high temp.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:57 am

ounce wrote:Turns out the lights were only out for 2 hours.  Then I quickly changed and was in bed in 5 minutes.  The power hasn't been off since.  Slept hard and slept long.

Wednesday morning, 1.3 million customers in Houston were out of power.  Now, the number is 20,000.  The South Texas Nuclear Project came on line.
Now we have to boil water until Sunday or Monday.  I have 2 gallons of water plus a little that's leftover from being boiled.
But we're doing a lot better.  It's like after a hurricane, to some degree, but without the heat 'n humidity.

I obtained my 1st covid shot, this afternoon.  I got the Moderna flavor at a Walmart.

Things are good.  1 more 25 degree night, tonight, then mid 60s for the next 10 day's high temp.

Thanks for stopping by.
Good to hear that you're safe, well rested, and vaccinated!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am

Yes, thank you, ma'am.

Regarding the vaccine, it went very effortlessly inside the store. The reactions advertised by most people of soreness at the injection point are mine, as well. I was reaching for a pan, when I got that first soreness.

The bandaid used was the first that I have ever seen. About the size of a 50 cent piece, it's like a corn pad or a donut with a clear plastic covering, so one could see the injection site itself.

Monday has me going back to Huntsville to continue (and hopefully wrap up) the cleaning. Should be done Tuesday morning, I think.

Below is a photo of the injection site.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next