365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding toward my goals...

5 posters

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 12 Empty Re: Sliding toward my goals...

Post  ounce Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah, those 2 runs look good.

Bubble bath?  Gosh, I can't remember the last time I had one.

Don't forget to leave Freddie in the closet.  He needs to rest.

Enjoy yourself.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:35 pm

ounce wrote:Yeah, those 2 runs look good.

Bubble bath?  Gosh, I can't remember the last time I had one.

Don't forget to leave Freddie in the closet.  He needs to rest.

Enjoy yourself.
I have an awesome soaking tub.  I just usually soak but the boys love to put in bubble bath and then turn on the air jets.  The bubbles overflow onto the floor if I don't keep an eye on them.   Shocked 

We headed to a short trail near home after the boys finished their school work on Thursday morning.  I knew there were some big rocks they could spend some time climbing on.  They enjoyed it.  They went home shortly after lunch on Thursday and I had time to run but it was very windy and I was tired so I skipped it.  It rained overnight and the road was muddy and it was cold so Friday turned into another rest day.  Motivation was definitely lacking.  

Saturday was nicer weather and I needed to get out of the house so I laced up my shoes and headed out.  I mentioned that I need to make an effort to have a plan for each run.  That was not the case on Saturday.  I just ran.  It appears that Freddie escaped from the closet...

5 miles @9:52 HR 151/165 Cadence 163 SL 1.00
I didn't bother to warm up or cool down.  I just ran.  It turned into a nice building run.  I was surprised I could maintain/build that pace for that distance.  So while not well executed this was a fun run and I enjoyed it.  I thought I might be pretty sore/tired the next morning but I was fine.

We woke up Sunday morning to over an inch of unexpected snow.  The forecast was for warming during the day so we expected the drive over Mt. Hood to pick up Mom to be uneventful.  It was not.  The first snow of the season always catches drivers off guard.  It took me 5:06 to make the 1:40 drive from Madras to Sandy.  The plan to get Mom settled into the houseboat before dark did not work out.  In fact my brother and his wife took her to the house and got her settled in with Katie.  I didn't arrive until nearly 8:00.  

We (Katie, Mom, and I) spent the day looking through some old family photos and papers.  Katie scanned some so we can pass them on to the rest of the family.  It was actually quite fun and very good way to pass the time with Mom.  One of my brothers is going to stop in later and stay for dinner.  I'd love to go for a run...I brought my running clothes...but it's chilly and Mom is worried about the traffic so I think I'll behave myself and spend time with her.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

See what 2 days of rest can do for you?  Freddie loved getting out.

Looks like a great time was had by most.  Regarding the snow, I can just imagine Mother Nature telling her friends, "Hey, girls, watch this...the weather bureau didn't forecast any snow."

So, Marty is due back now or tomorrow?

By the way, 'Motivation' is filed under the letter 'Q.'  Freddie can't spell.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:48 pm

ounce wrote:See what 2 days of rest can do for you?  Freddie loved getting out.

Looks like a great time was had by most.  Regarding the snow, I can just imagine Mother Nature telling her friends, "Hey, girls, watch this...the weather bureau didn't forecast any snow."

So, Marty is due back now or tomorrow?

By the way, 'Motivation' is filed under the letter 'Q.'  Freddie can't spell.
It was fun to go for a spin with Freddie.   Laughing
It was hard for me to sit still for so long but I knew the goal was to spend time with Mom.  I would have gone for a run...or a spin in the canoe...but I knew it would make Mom nervous so I stayed put.  It was raining when I dropped Mom off late morning on Tuesday but the clouds parted and the rain stopped so I decided to take the scenic route via the old historic hwy to Carson where I was planning to meet back up with Katie.

• Vista House
  • Latourell Falls including a hike to the upper falls
  • Shepperd's Dell
  • Bridal Veil Falls
  • Wahkeena Falls
  • Horsetail Falls

I hiked to all the falls (Upper Latourell Falls was a bit of a hike but the others were all less than half a mile).  It was starting to rain and getting dark...and Katie was going to be waiting...so I had to skip the hike the Upper Horsetail.  It turned out to be a gorgeous day for hiking and I really enjoyed getting my body moving.  I pushed the pace on my hikes as I knew time was limited.  

I met up with Katie and we stopped for a late lunch before checking in at Carson Hot Springs.  It's a historic hot springs.  Mom's parents used to visit often.  Katie and I have both been wanting to visit and the timing worked out well.  We checked in to our room and scheduled our soak.  You soak in old cast iron tubs and then they wrap you up in sheets and blankets for a few minutes.  It was fun but I'll have to admit that I have trouble relaxing like you're supposed to...  We went to bed early and got up and got going early this morning.  I drove home on the Washington side of the gorge on a much smaller road than the Oregon side.  It was narrow and curvy but the views were awesome...and I loved all the tunnels.  I crossed into Oregon at The Dalles and headed south toward home.

I stopped in Madras for my COVID test...I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week... What a Face

Marty should be home Friday or Saturday depending on the hunting success...and the weather.  Based on the forecast its been a very cold, very snowy hunt!!  I'm anxious to hear the stories.

I've got some things to unpack and put away and chores to catch up on but may sneak out for a run this afternoon...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:46 pm

So I was consistently getting in 30+ mile weeks and running 6 days a week during the summer.  Even during October I was getting 25+ miles most weeks.  Took a few days off for our trip to the Steens but jumped back in with 8 runs totally 47.7 miles in 10 days and Marty and I increased our morning workouts to 6 x per week.  Then he left for elk hunting, I had to watch the boys, and Katie came to visit.  I was burnt out on strength workouts and needed a break and it was tough to find time to run while caring for the boys and playing with Katie and Mom.  So...only one jaunt with Freddie and nothing else during a full 7 day period.

The result...
During my run yesterday afternoon I felt like a newborn giraffe with an upset stomach.
5 miles @ 11:51 HR 137/156 Cadence 155 SL .87

1. 11:08 139/149 160 
  2. 11:55 142/156 157
  3. 12:08 133/140 154
  4. 12:04 135/141 154
  5. 12:03 138/146 153

As you can see I fell off the cadence pier and slowed my pace during the 2nd mile.  The only bright spot is that my HR responded favorably.

Today I felt better...more like a week old giraffe with an upset stomach.
5 miles @ 12:14 Cadence 137/151 Cadence 157 SL .87

1. 11:45 126/138 160
  2. 12:12 132/146 159
  3. 12:17 139/148 156
  4. 12:27 139/146 155
  5. 12:27 141/151 154

The goal was a true easy effort run.  Not perfect but not bad.  Back to the basics for a few days while I get my legs back under me.  

It's hard work to relax!!!!!

Marty should be home tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Massive storm is moving across Oregon.  High winds and rain.  Fortunately it's not to cold so other than very high elevations snow does not seem to be an issue.  Janice was hoping to run today.  I wasn't disappointed when she decided we should wait for the storm to pass.

I got busy and failed to update my running log for a couple days.  I didn't realize that the day Freddie crashed my run last week I ran my 1000th mile of the year!   Running Running cheers

Pretty excited to reach that milestone.  I ran more miles in 2020 than in any year previous.  Previous record was 976 in 2017.

It doesn't look like I'll be heading back to the pool very often for the foreseeable future and I'm not a big fan of biking so running looks to be the preferred activity in 2021.  Here's to a high volume of easy effort running as I build my base and prepare for a return to racing...someday....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:Massive storm is moving across Oregon.  High winds and rain.  Fortunately it's not to cold so other than very high elevations snow does not seem to be an issue.  Janice was hoping to run today.  I wasn't disappointed when she decided we should wait for the storm to pass.

I got busy and failed to update my running log for a couple days.  I didn't realize that the day Freddie crashed my run last week I ran my 1000th mile of the year!   Running Running cheers

Pretty excited to reach that milestone.  I ran more miles in 2020 than in any year previous.  Previous record was 976 in 2017.

It doesn't look like I'll be heading back to the pool very often for the foreseeable future and I'm not a big fan of biking so running looks to be the preferred activity in 2021.  Here's to a high volume of easy effort running as I build my base and prepare for a return to racing...someday....
That storm y'all got will be in Houston around 4 a.m. on Sunday.  Thank you for not slowing it down.

What??????  You've, you've, you've, you've hit 1,000 miles??????
Woohoo!  Way to go, Nancy!!

(guess I'll keep the green & 24 for this post)

It's too cold to swim and too cold to bike.  But you have a new student to run with you, at least, and doing workouts.

Gratz on your 1,000, ma'am, and during a pandemic, to boot!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:32 am

Pretty amazing Nancy. 1,000 miles in a very challenging and weird year. BIG kudos to you!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 am

Congrats on the 1,000 miles! Very impressive.

That was quite a weather system this weekend. We got a ton of rain on the west side. Snow at higher elevations, hopefully enough to start building a snowpack. 

Hope you and yours are all staying healthy as the COVID train picks up speed again. Bundle up and head out for lots of safe runs in the country.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Yes, I check in every once in a while - very nice job on the 1000 miles!  MAJOR kUDOS!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Doug, Kevin, Mark and Michele.  It's nice to have people to share my running accomplishments with that "get it". 

I am pretty proud of my 1000 mile year.  They weren't very fast miles but I've made a huge mental breakthrough.  I started training with Hal's Novice program (3 days per week) and everything I read seemed to reinforce 3 day a week training for older runners to allow more time to recover.  I was convinced I couldn't run more often than that.  I was intrigued by the Hanson method and played with their SOS workouts but was hesitant to commit to the volume.  Then the pool closed.  Then I broke the cable on my bike and couldn't get it repaired for several weeks.  Then Janice and I ran together a couple times.  Before I knew it I was running 6 days per week and logging 30+ miles...week after week.  Then I ran my virtual 5K in the fastest time I've run since pre-cardiac event...on relatively slow training.

Mark...I'm finally getting it...slow miles are effective.
Doug...Thanks for the cadence encouragement...even when I balked.
Michele...Thanks for the information on the Hanson method.  I think I may finally be ready to jump in with both feet.

Most of all...thanks to all of you just for being here and listening to me when I need to ramble...

So training updates.

Saturday - Janice and I ran as planned.  We got in 7.2 miles @ 11:42 HR 147/163 Cadence 159 SL .87.  It was a nice consistent run and I enjoyed it.

Sunday - 5 miles @ 10:16 HR 151/168 Cadence 163 SL .96 (plus an additional CD mile @ 12:23)
No real plan for this run.  I just ran and it turned into a nice building run.  Because I ran it pretty quickly and finished it with a high HR I added a cool down mile.  So the question on this run is a chicken/egg question.  Was my pace faster because my cadence was faster...or was my cadence faster because my pace was faster. Question

Monday - Marty and I decided to get started back up with our morning core/strength workouts.  The next one in the program happened to be Ab Intervals.   Shocked   I may be paying for that.

Tuesday - Short break from training for a very crappy preventative health test that is recommended every 10 years.  Not fun.

Wednesday - Easing back in to training with 4.25 miles @ 11:40 HR 141/155 Cadence 158 SL .87
Windy and cold but I felt fine.

Janice and I signed up for a half next August...boy do I hope this COVID thing is under control and we can race.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 am

I'll send you a bill.

Seems like Janice is your carrot for some very good runs.  Do you have to plant your Janice seed at any particular time of the year?  Looks to be an all-weather variety.

The Saturday and Wednesday runs are very similar.  A predictable cardiac creep.

As far as your pop quiz question, pace is a result or consolidated measure of brain, heart, lungs, and legs working, or not working, together.

Regarding Tuesday, well, you have to go with the flow.  This too will pass.

Have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 am

Bulletin.....
Nancy!!
This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, they did a story on Mint. They talked to a guy from Labbeemint.

They got a taste test with the reporter and the company rep. The reporter says, "tastes like toothpaste. What notes do you pick up or like?"

The rep says, "I like that Madras mint best. It has a sweet note to it.'

The story ran on TV at about 1 hour and 10 minutes into the 90 minute show.

I was like "Holy Crap!"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:27 am

ounce wrote:Bulletin.....
Nancy!!
This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, they did a story on Mint.  They talked to a guy from Labbeemint.

They got a taste test with the reporter and the company rep.  The reporter says, "tastes like toothpaste.  What notes do you pick up or like?"

The rep says, "I like that Madras mint best.  It has a sweet note to it.'

I was like "Holy Crap!"
Thanks for the heads up Doug.  I wasn't able to find the full program but did find a short clip that included the part about the Madras mint.

We do sell our mint oil to Labbeemint.  We have a contract with them.  Madras oil has always fetched a slightly higher price due to it's unique chemical makeup...it's our climate.  

Things got a bit hectic today...I'll check in tomorrow and post a training update.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 am

Nancy!!
This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, they did a story on Mint.  They talked to a guy from Labbeemint.

They got a taste test with the reporter and the company rep.  The reporter says, "tastes like toothpaste.  What notes do you pick up or like?"

I was like "Holy Crap!"

Woot! That's awesome! But not surprising. Growing up, we'd go to the Cove Palisades near Madras, and I always looked forward to being enveloped by the smell of Madras mint fields. It was exotic and intoxicating. 

I'm glad you found a way to sneak more running in, and that your body is going along for the ride. I think those training runs in the 5-9 mile range are my favorite. It's just enough to feel like you're out rambling through the countryside but short enough that you're not limited to just one of them a week.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nancy!!

I was like "Holy Crap!"

Woot! That's awesome! But not surprising. Growing up, we'd go to the Cove Palisades near Madras, and I always looked forward to being enveloped by the smell of Madras mint fields. It was exotic and intoxicating. 

I'm glad you found a way to sneak more running in, and that your body is going along for the ride. I think those training runs in the 5-9 mile range are my favorite. It's just enough to feel like you're out rambling through the countryside but short enough that you're not limited to just one of them a week.
Mint production in Madras is a fraction of what it was years ago when we moved here.  The mint paid the mortgage for us year after year.  Their were a dozen or more mint stills and 4 mint buyers in town. Then verticillium wilt affected yields and it was a bit tougher to grow.  When the price dropped drastically (even Labbeemint was buying oil produced overseas) acreage dropped and all the mint stills closed.  When Labbee came back to town with an offer for a small number of reasonably priced contracts there was only one surviving mint still.  It happened to be Marty's elk hunting buddy.  Laughing We were back in the mint oil business but on a much smaller scale.

I won't deny that at times I'm still frustrated by how slow I am but I am back to a point where I enjoy getting out there for a run.

Thursday Up early for a lower body workout.
7 miles @ 12:09 HR 148/159 Cadence 158 SL .84 
Janice and I had a run planned.  Janice invited Nailon to join us for the last half.  Nailon is a relatively recent immigrant from China.  She swam with us but was not a runner.  She's been doing short runs with Janice for the last couple months.  So we slowed to her pace when she joined us.  When we finished at the park we jumped into my car and drove by the coffee shop and picked up coffee and a pastry.  (It's take away only in Oregon now.)  We had a nice visit at Janice's house before we headed our separate ways.  It was fun. (Overdressed)

Friday Cardio workout this morning.
5 miles @ 11:23 HR 140/166 Cadence 160 SL .89
It got late and chilly...underdressed!

Saturday Unilateral Strength.  Natalie started a plank challenge this week.  What a Face
5 miles @ 11:43 133/150 Cadence 158 SL .87
Goldilocks run...dressed just right.  Look at that HR.  Very Happy

Sunday Stretching workout today...and plank challenge.
3 miles @ 10:58 HR 149/164 Cadence 164 SL
I had to hurry...I had everyone for dinner.  Both families...it was a full and very noisy house.

Monday We decided to start LIIFT4.  Today was Chest and Triceps.  It's been a favorite program.  Very good combination of weights, cardio and core in every workout.  We've been experimenting and haven't found anything we like better.
5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/160 Cadence 161 SL 
I had a Zoom call that ran late and didn't have much time.  In fact the sun went under the horizon before I finished.  Not a bad HR for that pace.  

Doug's blog got me thinking about my training...past and present...  Still thinking and don't have time to share much today...

Friday
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nancy!!

I was like "Holy Crap!"

Mint production in Madras is a fraction of what it was years ago when we moved here.  The mint paid the mortgage for us year after year.  Their were a dozen or more mint stills and 4 mint buyers in town. Then verticillium wilt affected yields and it was a bit tougher to grow.  When the price dropped drastically (even Labbeemint was buying oil produced overseas) acreage dropped and all the mint stills closed.  When Labbee came back to town with an offer for a small number of reasonably priced contracts there was only one surviving mint still.  It happened to be Marty's elk hunting buddy.  Laughing We were back in the mint oil business but on a much smaller scale.

I won't deny that at times I'm still frustrated by how slow I am but I am back to a point where I enjoy getting out there for a run.

Thursday Up early for a lower body workout.
7 miles @ 12:09 HR 148/159 Cadence 158 SL .84 
Janice and I had a run planned.  Janice invited Nailon to join us for the last half.  Nailon is a relatively recent immigrant from China.  She swam with us but was not a runner.  She's been doing short runs with Janice for the last couple months.  So we slowed to her pace when she joined us.  When we finished at the park we jumped into my car and drove by the coffee shop and picked up coffee and a pastry.  (It's take away only in Oregon now.)  We had a nice visit at Janice's house before we headed our separate ways.  It was fun. (Overdressed)

Friday Cardio workout this morning.
5 miles @ 11:23 HR 140/166 Cadence 160 SL .89
It got late and chilly...underdressed!

Saturday Unilateral Strength.  Natalie started a plank challenge this week.  What a Face
5 miles @ 11:43 133/150 Cadence 158 SL .87
Goldilocks run...dressed just right.  Look at that HR.  Very Happy

Sunday Stretching workout today...and plank challenge.
3 miles @ 10:58 HR 149/164 Cadence 164 SL
I had to hurry...I had everyone for dinner.  Both families...it was a full and very noisy house.

Monday We decided to start LIIFT4.  Today was Chest and Triceps.  It's been a favorite program.  Very good combination of weights, cardio and core in every workout.  We've been experimenting and haven't found anything we like better.
5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/160 Cadence 161 SL 
I had a Zoom call that ran late and didn't have much time.  In fact the sun went under the horizon before I finished.  Not a bad HR for that pace.  

Doug's blog got me thinking about my training...past and present...  Still thinking and don't have time to share much today...

Friday
Interesting on the mint, then and now. 

As far as your speed, even 1L reports a slow down in her last post:  "Been running 60 mile weeks and I've slowed down a lot - weather hasn't helped until this week since it was still in the 70s and quite humid..."  She's still a pup, too!

Yes, I noticed that 133 bpm!  I'd say your 'hammock' HR is anything at or under 140 bpm.  11's are a comfortable pace for you, I think.  It will continue to creep downward.  How's your RHR, these days, and your Stress Reduction Act of 2020?

You're doing well and maybe you'll have a 3rd running buddy, too.  I'm still thinking about my training, too. 

Have a good Thanksgiving.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:52 am

I had to watch the Abby (age 12) on Tuesday...apparently she got into trouble and her parents didn't want her home all day.  Gary had to work and Shannon was in Portland with Emma.  Emma had surgery on her leg.  They have been trying to diagnose and treat a bone growth on her leg since last October.  The doctors in Bend finally gave up and sent her to OHSU in Portland.  Hope this resolves the problem.  So Abby came down and boxed up some old family dishes and then unboxed a different set of family dishes for me.  Izzy came down as well for a few hours in the morning and sorted and organized books for me.  Then she went home to work on an essay for school.  After Abby went home Natalie dropped off the twins so that she and Kevin could get their flu shots.  I didn't get a run in.

Wednesday I wanted to run but I'm planning on participating in a casual Turkey Trot with some of Natalie's Beachbody crew this morning.  I haven't done the program they worked through which included running and haven't done any speed work at all lately but...  I wanted to do a bit of faster stuff without wearing myself out.

3 miles w 4x400 (400 rest)  Average pace for the intervals was 8:44.  Average interval cadence 166.
It was cold and I had a bit of a headwind.  Finished feeling pretty good.

That should have prepared me for the run this morning.  I don't plan to run to aggressively.  Hoping it's a social 5K.  It's going to be COLD.

Happy Turkey Day...

Just realized that I forgot to reply to your questions in the previous post.  RHR is looking good.  Hanging in there at 47-48 most days.  I'm handling the stress better on some days than others...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Turkey Trot 5K in the books.

3.1 @ 9:00 27:56 HR 159/174 Cadence 166 SL 1.08 Elevation gain 134/loss 134

1. 8:50 HR 152/164 Cad 166 SL 1.09 Elevation gain 26/loss 68
  2. 9:08 HR 159/162 Cad 166 SL 1.06 Elevation gain 45/loss 52
  3. 9:03 HR 166/172 Cad 167 SL 1.07 Elevation gain 59/loss 13
  4. @8:26 HR 168/174 Cad 168 SL 1.08 Elevation gain 3/loss 0

Natalie has been leading a group through a running program.  There were 400 people signed up throughout the country.  You do a workout indoors and also a short run while listening to the coach.  The longest run was only 20 minutes and I don't run with ear phones so I didn't sign up.  Natalie invited me this morning anyway.  We (there were 6 locals that weren't busy this morning) met at the park at 8:00.  It was 30 degrees and the trail was frosty...we were nervous it might be slippery.  Everyone was hesitant and embarrassed to start so I finally took off. Natalie and Brandie were right behind.  They passed me at about the half mile mark.  Natalie gradually pulled ahead and Brandie stayed between us.  I'll admit that I was very discouraged that they both finished faster than I did.  Natalie had talked all morning about the fact that I was a runner and would beat them all.  But they are both in their late 30s and have been runners off and on.

When I got home I dug out the stats from my virtual 5K on July 26th

3.1 @ 8:54 27:46 HR 159/174 Cadence 164 SL 1.10 Elevation gain 98/loss128

1. 8:54 HR 150/162 Cad 164 SL 1.10 Net downhill
  2. 9:02 HR 160/165 Cad 164 SL 1.09
  3. 8:51 HR 166/169 Cad 165 SL 1.10
  4. @8:26 HR 171/169 

I wasn't able to pull up the elevation for the individual splits and the cadence and SL for the finish were messed up but the data is still useful.  

So...yes, I was slightly slower today but boy not much and the course today was more difficult...and potentially slippery.  I have to remind myself that in July I had been doing some faster interval training and I have only been doing slower running...and not as many total miles...the past few weeks.  So I am going to take pride in my run today!  Running Running Running cheers

I'll add a bit to my very short discussion on my RHR and stress reduction(??).  

As I mentioned my weekly average RHR is right in there at 47-48.  Occasionally 49.  It does pop up to the low 50's for just one day at times.  Sometimes I can figure out why but not always.  The way my watch calculates it is confusing.  It doesn't look at my HR while sleeping...which is lower.  It tries to pull out the rate "when you are awake, relaxed, and resting."

Stress...where do I begin.  The stress level that my watch records hasn't been particularly useful.  It uses a metric called Heart Rate Variability to measure stress throughout the day and then displays the average.  It's been in the range Garmin considers low.  It is higher when I exercise but the theory is that the resting HRV improves so that is an overall benefit.  Kind of like training at a higher HR to reduce your RHR I guess.

I'll be honest here...I'm still struggling to control the stresses in my life.  Some days I do pretty well.  Other days not so much.  And it does make me nervous...which doesn't help.  I'm trying not to let things bother me...I'm not very good at that...

Off to eat turkey with both families...don't tell Kate Brown...there will be 14 of us.  Shocked   Just Kevin's family alone is over the 6 person limit.  We see all of them every day so it makes no sense to stay home today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Boy did I wake up sore on Friday.  I think that I mentioned that Marty and I had decided to do the Liift4 program again.  Workouts are 30 - 40 minutes 4 days a week.  All workouts include some cardio, core, and cool down stretching but lifting is the focus.  The schedule is

• Monday Chest & Triceps
  • Tuesday Back & Biceps
  • Thursday Shoulders
  • Friday Legs

I lifted way to hard on Tuesday.  Even though I took Thursday off my arms were still killing me Friday morning.  We went ahead and did shoulders on Friday but I took it relatively easy.  My legs were also reminding me that I had run hard on Thursday.  My planned recovery run was a bit faster than intended.  I stalled for so long that it was getting cold and I was under dressed and hurried so I could finish before I froze.

3 miles @ 11:48 HR 141/156 Cadence 157 SL .87
The HR reflects my faster than desired pace especially in the first mile.  Oh well.  I did feel better afterwards.

We got up this morning and did leg day so that we would be back on track.  Still debating about a run this afternoon.  I'm leaning toward waiting till tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:09 pm

I decided that I'd just walk down and get the paper after lunch on Saturday.  It's a mile round trip.  I was still pretty tired but wanted/needed to move a bit.  I got busy and it got dark and cold so I didn't make it...

Sunday was COLD but sunny and calm.  It looked gorgeous out there.  Marty was off riding mules with his hunting buddies so my schedule was pretty open till lunch.  I waited as long as I could and then dressed warm and headed out.  The goal was to keep the pace slow enough to get the miles in without overdoing it...I still needed to recover a bit from a tough week.  I needed Janice for a pacer but she was out of town.

7 miles @ 11:50 HR 146/158 Cadence 157 SL .86
Happy with the effort and the results.  It was a gorgeous day.  I had a view of the mountains.  The sun was shining.  It wasn't windy.  This run was nothing special when you look at the stats but it was a run that reminded me why I love running.

Marty and I were up early for Liift4 Chest and Triceps this morning.  It was a tough one.  These Liift4 workouts are definitely hard enough that they are affecting my ability to run long/hard but that's OK during this time in my training...and I could choose lighter weights if I wasn't so stubborn.  It's windy and nasty outside this morning and I have a Zoom call in a bit.  Maybe a very short recovery type run this afternoon if it works.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Between my Zoom call and technical difficulties when trying to do payroll on Monday I didn't make it out for my recovery run.  Oh well.

Tuesday  Liift4 Back and Biceps including a Hiit segment towards the end.
5 miles @ 11:05 HR 153/166 Cad 160 SL .91
I was determined to get a run in on Tuesday.  It was COLD and I had an appointment so had to run in the morning.  I dressed well.  It was sunny and calm.  I ran into a couple frosty sections where the sun hadn't hit the road yet.  It was actually a perfect day for a run...until a dog ran across the road and bit me!  Shocked  Ran behind me and nailed my left hamstring.  Fortunately I had my long pants on so it didn't break the skin.  The owner was apologetic.  I should have taken a photo of the dogs, the owner, and all the cars that stopped (dogs were still in the middle of the road) but I was flustered and already late for my appointment.  Once the adrenaline wore off it started to hurt a bit more.  It did leave a mark but didn't break the skin.  I should...and may still...contact the sheriff office and let the dog control person know.  It might help if he had a talk with the owner and checked on the status of the dogs rabies shots.  Marty says I should carry pepper spray but I hate that idea..takes the fun out of running.  And I'm not sure I could get it out and ready to spray in time to do any good anyway.

Back to the run...it was faster than it should have been and the HR was higher than expected (before the dog bit) even when you take the faster pace into consideration.  I need to take a deep breath and try to slow down.

Today was a Liift4 rest day.  It's miserable looking outside...freezing fog.  Hopefully I'll get a run in this afternoon.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Well this in interesting...

I'll re-post Tuesday's stats as they are part of the analysis

Tues 5 miles @11:05 HR 153/166 Cad 160 SL .91 (dog bite in mile 4)

Wed 5 miles @11:23 HR 146/160 Cad 159 SL .89

Thur 5 miles @11:39 HR 140/157 Cad 160 SL .87

I mentioned earlier that during my Tuesday run...even before the dog bite...my HR was higher than I expected.  Partially explained by the pace but higher than normal even for that pace.

I slowed a bit on Wednesday and the HR responded as expected but was still a bit high for that pace.

I've been sitting around working in the office in the mornings due to the freezing temperatures and as a result have been drinking more coffee.  I wondered if that may be part of the cause so I just had my usual amount of coffee on Thursday.  The HR was better.  Unfortunately I also slowed my pace even more so I'm not sure if it was the caffeine or the pace affecting my HR...or both.  

Interesting but not really alarming.

Marty and I are on track with our Liift4 program.  Wednesday was a rest day.  Thursday was shoulders and this morning was leg day but it was Hiit with no weights.  

I occasionally have trouble with vertigo and it's been acting up this week.  I make sure I don't do things like flip turns in the pool because I know that will cause it to act up.  Not sure what the cause is/was this time.  It hasn't been a problem when I run but it's affected my ability to do the Liift4 workouts especially this morning.  The level changes set it off and the room starts to spin.  I was able to slow down and modify the moves.  I got the leg work in but it wasn't as cardio as it should have been.  Hopefully it will resolve itself in a few days.

I got a book called "The Lazy Man's Guide to (ultra) Marathon Running" by Professor Sky Pelletier Waterpeace.  It was a gag gift but it is actually kind of interesting.  I'm not at all interested in his Easy Does It method of training but he does have some really interesting stuff in there about the Keto diet and some supplements that he recommends.  Unregulated supplements make me nervous so I'm not considering trying spirulina but he recommends dark chocolate daily and I can get on board with that.  Wink  It's a fun read and I may be able to pick out a few ideas that I'm interested in trying.

Freezing fog again this morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Freezing fog lifted Friday afternoon and I got in a nice run.

5 miles @ 11:39 HR 137/154 Cad 157 SL .88
HR was more in line with where I'd like to see it for a run at that pace but I think it came at the cost of a slower cadence.  Still...it was an easy effort run that met my goals for the day.

Janice and I have had trouble finding a time when we're both free to run...her family has been in town.  We thought we might be able to squeeze in a run this afternoon after her kids/grandkids headed home.  I wasn't disappointed when she texted to let me know that she was exhausted.  The freezing fog stuck around all day.  I think the high was 31 and the temperatures started dropping by 2:00.  

Happy to call this a complete rest day.  Cup of tea made.  Fire roaring.  Time to pull out a book...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:10 pm

I enjoyed my rest day on Saturday.

The weather was still chilly but a bit more tolerable on Sunday.

5 miles @ 11:11 HR 144/159 Cad 162 SL .89
A bit fast for an easy effort run but I was pleased to see that I was able to maintain that pace...and a nice cadence...at a relatively moderate HR.  

Marty and I finished the day with a 25 minute deep stretching workout

We started the day with a Liift4 Chest and triceps workout this morning.  I hate tricep pushups!!!

The temperature is currently above freezing so running is an option but I need to run an errand with Marty after lunch.  If I get home in time I'll head out...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next