365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding toward my goals...

5 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 7 Empty Re: Sliding toward my goals...

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:58 pm

I did sneak out for a bike ride yesterday.  12 miles.  Nothing spectacular but I did remember how to ride.

This morning was a 4 am alarm for Liift4.  Back and Biceps today.  Upped my weights and got in a good workout.

I was pretty sore and tired after lifting so I stalled a bit before heading out for my run.  I wanted to do something different.  I was pretty pooped...cumulative fatigue is settling in.  But I figured what better time to see what I can do even though I'm not rested and recovered.  Hold on...

5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/167 Cadence 163 Stride .91
Nothing spectacular so far but look at my splits.

11:32 HR 130/145 Cad 163 Stride .85 (Warm up)
  9:26 HR 150/168 Cad 168 Stride 1.02 (First 1 mile interval)
11:46 HR 140/157 Cad 161 Stride .85 (Rest interval)
  9:20 HR 158/167 Cad 167 Stride 1.03 (2nd 1 mile interval)
12:08 HR 147/158 Cad 160 Stride .83 (Cool down)

Yup...I pushed for a bit longer today just to see if I could.  My goal was to run the mile intervals under 9:30.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it at a couple different points in both the 1st and 2nd fast interval.  Those darn hills show up at the worst times! 

I'm not sure this was a smart move from the physical aspect.  I've struggled all day.  But mentally I hit a home run.  I can run.  I've got a long way to go as this was only 2 x 1 mile but it sure made me feel better about my running future.

I need to behave myself tomorrow and make sure my run is a true recovery run...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:39 am

So the goal for today's run was a true recovery run.  And boy did I feel like I needed it.  There was a lot going on in the morning...farming stuff...so I headed out a bit later and a bit less relaxed than I would have hoped.  

4 miles @ 12:12 HR 132/145 Cadence 155 Stride .86
11:32 HR 127 Cad 156 Stride .89
12:17 HR 135 Cad 156 Stride .84
12:25 HR 132 Cad 155 Stride .83
12:33 HR 134 Cad 155 Stride .83

Fast Freddy and Cruise Control Caroline were both pushing me to continue the pace into the second mile...and for a short moment I wondered if I could keep the HR low at that pace.  Easy Effort Eddy talked some sense into me and I slowed the pace to an effort I could maintain while keeping my HR lower.  I'm actually really pleased with this run.  Slowing down has been one of the most difficult skills for me to master.  After a slightly faster start I was able to mentally switch to a much more appropriate pace.  This skill may pay off at the start of a marathon if I ever do choose to start one again.  Heart and lungs were fine but my legs were asking WHY during the second half of this run.  Slowest and probably best executed run of the week.

After a bit more farm work, time with the boys, lunch...I was surprised to see that the weather was holding nicely.  It was still cool and the winds hadn't picked up as forecast.  So what did I do?  I headed out on my bike for an easy effort ride.  Easy effort rides aren't all that easy due to the hills that surround me but I didn't push to hard.  12.75 miles.  It was nice to be out on my bike.  I'd like to get back on the route that has the awesome views of Lake Billy Chinook and the mountains but that's in the area that was badly damaged by the storm so it's still not a safe place to ride.  It should be better in a couple weeks.

There was an article in the paper that said McKenzie Pass was open for bikes and would not open for cars until the 15th.  I'm tempted.  It's an awesome ride but one I would not do with cars on the road.  It's probably not a good idea based on the very limited amount of time that I've had on my bike this spring but...if I didn't push to hard and only went to the pass and not beyond...  They usually plan a supported bike ride that last Saturday but I don't think they are offering it this year.  I'll have to think about it.

So today...still feeling pretty exhausted but my resting HR and stress numbers are looking good.  Fatigue is appropriate.  Overtraining is not.  I'd like to run a bit longer today but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.  With the addition of the 2x1 mile interval run and the two bike rides this week I might be better off with another shorter easy effort run or just a full rest day today (tomorrow is my scheduled rest day).  

For now I'm going to enjoy a second cup of coffee...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:09 pm

It took me a while to wake up and start feeling human again but after my second cup of coffee I was ready to go.  I set up my aid station...water bottle and a GU...and headed out to see what I could do today.

8 miles @ 11:53 HR 136/152 Cadence 158 Stride .86
11:42 HR 126 Cad 156 Stride .88
12:04 HR 136 Cad 159 Stride .84
11:53 HR 136 Cad 159 Stride .85
12:04 HR 135 Cad 158 Stride .84
12:04 HR 136 Cad 157 Stride .85 (Aid station early in this mile)
12:12 HR 136 Cad 157 Stride .84
11:34 HR 140 Cad 160 Stride .87
11:24 HR 141 Cad 159 Stride .89

Essentially two 4 mile loops with my aid station at the beginning of mile 5.  Mile 2 & 6 have the biggest elevation gain.  No complaints about that run.  Not super fast or high cadence but quite appropriate for the distance and place I'm at in my training.  

I've learned a lot since I resumed relatively serious training in mid-March.  I kind of felt like a newbie runner at times.  I think maybe it's time to set goals and make a plan...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:I did sneak out for a bike ride yesterday.  12 miles.  Nothing spectacular but I did remember how to ride.

This morning was a 4 am alarm for Liift4.  Back and Biceps today.  Upped my weights and got in a good workout.

I was pretty sore and tired after lifting so I stalled a bit before heading out for my run.  I wanted to do something different.  I was pretty pooped...cumulative fatigue is settling in.  But I figured what better time to see what I can do even though I'm not rested and recovered.  Hold on...

5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/167 Cadence 163 Stride .91
Nothing spectacular so far but look at my splits.

11:32 HR 130/145 Cad 163 Stride .85 (Warm up)
  9:26 HR 150/168 Cad 168 Stride 1.02 (First 1 mile interval)
11:46 HR 140/157 Cad 161 Stride .85 (Rest interval)
  9:20 HR 158/167 Cad 167 Stride 1.03 (2nd 1 mile interval)
12:08 HR 147/158 Cad 160 Stride .83 (Cool down)

Yup...I pushed for a bit longer today just to see if I could.  My goal was to run the mile intervals under 9:30.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it at a couple different points in both the 1st and 2nd fast interval.  Those darn hills show up at the worst times! 

I'm not sure this was a smart move from the physical aspect.  I've struggled all day.  But mentally I hit a home run.  I can run.  I've got a long way to go as this was only 2 x 1 mile but it sure made me feel better about my running future.

I need to behave myself tomorrow and make sure my run is a true recovery run...
Wellllllllll, that's some fine looking splits.  Doing what you set out to do and everything!  I can't disagree with you about the physical aspect, but it's nice to do what you set out to do.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:08 pm

nkrichards wrote:So the goal for today's run was a true recovery run.  And boy did I feel like I needed it.  There was a lot going on in the morning...farming stuff...so I headed out a bit later and a bit less relaxed than I would have hoped.  

4 miles @ 12:12 HR 132/145 Cadence 155 Stride .86
11:32 HR 127 Cad 156 Stride .89
12:17 HR 135 Cad 156 Stride .84
12:25 HR 132 Cad 155 Stride .83
12:33 HR 134 Cad 155 Stride .83

Fast Freddy and Cruise Control Caroline were both pushing me to continue the pace into the second mile...and for a short moment I wondered if I could keep the HR low at that pace.  Easy Effort Eddy talked some sense into me and I slowed the pace to an effort I could maintain while keeping my HR lower.  I'm actually really pleased with this run.  Slowing down has been one of the most difficult skills for me to master.  After a slightly faster start I was able to mentally switch to a much more appropriate pace.  This skill may pay off at the start of a marathon if I ever do choose to start one again.  Heart and lungs were fine but my legs were asking WHY during the second half of this run.  Slowest and probably best executed run of the week.

After a bit more farm work, time with the boys, lunch...I was surprised to see that the weather was holding nicely.  It was still cool and the winds hadn't picked up as forecast.  So what did I do?  I headed out on my bike for an easy effort ride.  Easy effort rides aren't all that easy due to the hills that surround me but I didn't push to hard.  12.75 miles.  It was nice to be out on my bike.  I'd like to get back on the route that has the awesome views of Lake Billy Chinook and the mountains but that's in the area that was badly damaged by the storm so it's still not a safe place to ride.  It should be better in a couple weeks.

There was an article in the paper that said McKenzie Pass was open for bikes and would not open for cars until the 15th.  I'm tempted.  It's an awesome ride but one I would not do with cars on the road.  It's probably not a good idea based on the very limited amount of time that I've had on my bike this spring but...if I didn't push to hard and only went to the pass and not beyond...  They usually plan a supported bike ride that last Saturday but I don't think they are offering it this year.  I'll have to think about it.

So today...still feeling pretty exhausted but my resting HR and stress numbers are looking good.  Fatigue is appropriate.  Overtraining is not.  I'd like to run a bit longer today but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.  With the addition of the 2x1 mile interval run and the two bike rides this week I might be better off with another shorter easy effort run or just a full rest day today (tomorrow is my scheduled rest day).  

For now I'm going to enjoy a second cup of coffee...
Always feels good to have a good run with a low HR as the cherry on top.  Eddie might be your best running buddy.

How close is the 12 min pace to the marathon pace you want to do?

Don't let Wobbly Legs Wilma take over your running.  She gets a kickback on every doctor visit for wobbly, or worse, legs.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:21 pm

nkrichards wrote:It took me a while to wake up and start feeling human again but after my second cup of coffee I was ready to go.  I set up my aid station...water bottle and a GU...and headed out to see what I could do today.

8 miles @ 11:53 HR 136/152 Cadence 158 Stride .86
11:42 HR 126 Cad 156 Stride .88
12:04 HR 136 Cad 159 Stride .84
11:53 HR 136 Cad 159 Stride .85
12:04 HR 135 Cad 158 Stride .84
12:04 HR 136 Cad 157 Stride .85 (Aid station early in this mile)
12:12 HR 136 Cad 157 Stride .84
11:34 HR 140 Cad 160 Stride .87
11:24 HR 141 Cad 159 Stride .89

Essentially two 4 mile loops with my aid station at the beginning of mile 5.  Mile 2 & 6 have the biggest elevation gain.  No complaints about that run.  Not super fast or high cadence but quite appropriate for the distance and place I'm at in my training.  

I've learned a lot since I resumed relatively serious training in mid-March.  I kind of felt like a newbie runner at times.  I think maybe it's time to set goals and make a plan...
Purrring right along.  Miles 2-8 HR within 5 bpm, inclusive of a hill.  Were your legs still asking why?

Uh oh...goals and a plan!  Keep in mind how Covid may or may not affect your race location's ability to do the race.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:43 pm

Always feels good to have a good run with a low HR as the cherry on top.  Eddie might be your best running buddy.

Don't let Wobbly Legs Wilma take over your running.  She gets a kickback on every doctor visit for wobbly, or worse, legs.

Eddie and I are getting to know each other pretty well.  
I need to run a 4:35 marathon (10:29 pace) for a BQ in the next age group so I'm kind of thinking that I my goal at this point would be a 4:30 marathon (10:18 pace).  It's going to take some time to get back to that point.  It's a good goal.
I don't think I'll take Wobbly Legs Wilma running...not fun!

Purrring right along.  Miles 2-8 HR within 5 bpm, inclusive of a hill.  Were your legs still asking why?

Uh oh...goals and a plan!  Keep in mind how Covid may or may not affect your race location's ability to do the race.

My legs felt good during my long run.  They just weren't happy after my 2x1 mile intervals.
I'll fill you in on my goals/race tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:30 am

nkrichards wrote:Always feels good to have a good run with a low HR as the cherry on top.  Eddie might be your best running buddy.

Eddie and I are getting to know each other pretty well.  
I need to run a 4:35 marathon (10:29 pace) for a BQ in the next age group so I'm kind of thinking that I my goal at this point would be a 4:30 marathon (10:18 pace).  It's going to take some time to get back to that point.  It's a good goal.
I don't think I'll take Wobbly Legs Wilma running...not fun!

My legs felt good during my long run.  They just weren't happy after my 2x1 mile intervals.
I'll fill you in on my goals/race tomorrow...
Just between us girls here on the Boards, are you thinking of running Boston again?  If so, you may want to run a bit faster.

Maybe Miche1e will drop out one year, so you can take her place.  Like THAT would ever happen. lol! lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 am

Tuesday - up early for a lifting session with Marty.  Shoulders was the target area. Had trouble motivating myself to get out the door for a short recovery type run later in the morning.

3 miles @ 11:46 HR 140/152 Cadence 156 Stride .88
11:23 HR 143 Cad 156 SL .91
11:56 HR 137 Cad 156 SL .86
12:01 HR 139 Cad 156 SL .86

Started out feeling pretty good...once I got out the door...but that didn't last long.  Legs started grumbling shortly after the first half mile.  I'm seeing a trend here.  Legs are happy to run 6 days in a row when all the runs are at an easy/moderate pace.  Stick a day of faster intervals or something in there and they are not happy the next day!  

It was an interesting run weather wise.  I dressed for blustery weather.  It quickly transitioned to breezy and then calm with direct sun...and then made it all the way back to hold on to your hat weather before I made it home...all in a short 3 mile run!

Struggling to finish up my training plan and put it on paper.  I've got a few questions and have reached out to Michele for her input.  I'm also starting to wonder if my initial goals may be a bit lofty.  I don't want to put together a plan that's just a fluffy list of runs that won't challenge me but I also don't want to put together a plan that's totally out of my reach.  I have to remember to consider the things I've learned during the last month and also remember where I'm at physically at this point.  I failed to fully consider family and farming conflicts that will increase in the coming weeks.  I also need to consider how I'm going to incorporate swimming and biking back into the plan without neglecting the focus on running.  It's going to be a balancing act.

I can say that the following events are tentatively on my calendar.

• July 4th Todd Beamer 10K  Janice and I have already discussed what we want to do on the 4th.  We've decided that if the race doesn't take place we're going to organize someone to drop us off at the start and run back to town on our own or with a small group of friends/runners.
  • Sept 12th  MAC Dash  The organizer just announced that they are still planning on holding this event but will be scaling it back...recycling old shirts to reduce the need for funding, not offering lunch, not offering massages.  Hopefully it will still happen.  The pool based swim will be the most complicated issue.  I'll participate....I haven't missed one since the debut event in 2008..but it won't be my goal event.
  • Oct 3rd Bridge of the Gods Half Marathon  This event was scheduled to take place in August but has been rescheduled.  It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Madras.  The course is over the bridge and along the Columbia River...it's a course I've been interested in running for a long time.  I've registered and secured a motel for the night before the event knowing that I can cancel if necessary.  This will be the goal event for me this year.  I realize that it may not happen but it will provide the necessary motivation to figure out if I can complete the plan that I've got rolling around in my head.  Completion of the plan will be satisfaction enough even if the actual event doesn't take place and it will help me formulate appropriate goals moving forward.

I have a short tempo run on my schedule this morning.  I'm trying to work through a week of training similar to the HM training plan I'm putting together to see how realistic the plan is.  It's going to be warm today so I better lace up my shoes and get moving...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:09 pm

I finally made it out the door after a couple delays to help with farm related chores...  It was starting to get warm but not terrible.  The plan was to ease into a short tempo run after weeks of virtually all easy/moderate effort running.

4 miles w/2 @ 9:55 HR 150/166 Cadence 159 Stride .94
WU  11:34 HR 138 Cad .89 Stride .89

1.  9:58 HR 152 Cad 162 Stride .99
  2.  9:52 HR 158 Cad 163 Stride 1.00

CD   11:40 HR 154 Cad 157 Stride .88

I set a goal of <10:00 for my tempo pace.  I had to work pretty hard to maintain it but it was doable.  I guess my HR wasn't out of the ballpark but my legs were not fully cooperating.  I'm not confident in my choice of pace goals.  If I were training for a marathon I would shoot for 10:18 tempo runs at MP.  But I'm training for a half and Hanson recommends tempo runs at HMP and says the equivalent pace is 9:53.  I'm not confident I can do that as cumulative fatigue sets in and the tempo runs increase to 8 miles with 6 @ HMP.  Or maybe as training takes effect I'll find it easier(?).  I have to remember that I'll be doing more interval runs, longer runs, and lots more miles...  Trying to be cautiously confident.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:15 pm

nkrichards wrote:Tuesday - up early for a lifting session with Marty.  Shoulders was the target area. Had trouble motivating myself to get out the door for a short recovery type run later in the morning.

3 miles @ 11:46 HR 140/152 Cadence 156 Stride .88
11:23 HR 143 Cad 156 SL .91
11:56 HR 137 Cad 156 SL .86
12:01 HR 139 Cad 156 SL .86

Started out feeling pretty good...once I got out the door...but that didn't last long.  Legs started grumbling shortly after the first half mile.  I'm seeing a trend here.  Legs are happy to run 6 days in a row when all the runs are at an easy/moderate pace.  Stick a day of faster intervals or something in there and they are not happy the next day!  

It was an interesting run weather wise.  I dressed for blustery weather.  It quickly transitioned to breezy and then calm with direct sun...and then made it all the way back to hold on to your hat weather before I made it home...all in a short 3 mile run!

Struggling to finish up my training plan and put it on paper.  I've got a few questions and have reached out to Michele for her input.  I'm also starting to wonder if my initial goals may be a bit lofty.  I don't want to put together a plan that's just a fluffy list of runs that won't challenge me but I also don't want to put together a plan that's totally out of my reach.  I have to remember to consider the things I've learned during the last month and also remember where I'm at physically at this point.  I failed to fully consider family and farming conflicts that will increase in the coming weeks.  I also need to consider how I'm going to incorporate swimming and biking back into the plan without neglecting the focus on running.  It's going to be a balancing act.

I can say that the following events are tentatively on my calendar.

• July 4th Todd Beamer 10K  Janice and I have already discussed what we want to do on the 4th.  We've decided that if the race doesn't take place we're going to organize someone to drop us off at the start and run back to town on our own or with a small group of friends/runners.
  • Sept 12th  MAC Dash  The organizer just announced that they are still planning on holding this event but will be scaling it back...recycling old shirts to reduce the need for funding, not offering lunch, not offering massages.  Hopefully it will still happen.  The pool based swim will be the most complicated issue.  I'll participate....I haven't missed one since the debut event in 2008..but it won't be my goal event.
  • Oct 3rd Bridge of the Gods Half Marathon  This event was scheduled to take place in August but has been rescheduled.  It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Madras.  The course is over the bridge and along the Columbia River...it's a course I've been interested in running for a long time.  I've registered and secured a motel for the night before the event knowing that I can cancel if necessary.  This will be the goal event for me this year.  I realize that it may not happen but it will provide the necessary motivation to figure out if I can complete the plan that I've got rolling around in my head.  Completion of the plan will be satisfaction enough even if the actual event doesn't take place and it will help me formulate appropriate goals moving forward.

I have a short tempo run on my schedule this morning.  I'm trying to work through a week of training similar to the HM training plan I'm putting together to see how realistic the plan is.  It's going to be warm today so I better lace up my shoes and get moving...
What if 1 week, you did 6 easy runs, then week 2 do intervals and 1 easy run?  Your legs thank you for being tuned into them.

Your race schedule looks doable and the July and September races will be good warmups.
nkrichards wrote:I finally made it out the door after a couple delays to help with farm related chores...  It was starting to get warm but not terrible.  The plan was to ease into a short tempo run after weeks of virtually all easy/moderate effort running.

4 miles w/2 @ 9:55 HR 150/166 Cadence 159 Stride .94
WU  11:34 HR 138 Cad .89 Stride .89

1.  9:58 HR 152 Cad 162 Stride .99
  2.  9:52 HR 158 Cad 163 Stride 1.00

CD   11:40 HR 154 Cad 157 Stride .88

I set a goal of <10:00 for my tempo pace.  I had to work pretty hard to maintain it but it was doable.  I guess my HR wasn't out of the ballpark but my legs were not fully cooperating.  I'm not confident in my choice of pace goals.  If I were training for a marathon I would shoot for 10:18 tempo runs at MP.  But I'm training for a half and Hanson recommends tempo runs at HMP and says the equivalent pace is 9:53.  I'm not confident I can do that as cumulative fatigue sets in and the tempo runs increase to 8 miles with 6 @ HMP.  Or maybe as training takes effect I'll find it easier(?).  I have to remember that I'll be doing more interval runs, longer runs, and lots more miles...  Trying to be cautiously confident.
I think as long as the weather cooperates, you should be fine.  The wild card will be the other decathlete activities.

Your goal was under 10 and you did it!  NEXT!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 am

ounce wrote:What if 1 week, you did 6 easy runs, then week 2 do intervals and 1 easy run?  Your legs thank you for being tuned into them.

Your race schedule looks doable and the July and September races will be good warmups.

I think as long as the weather cooperates, you should be fine.  The wild card will be the other decathlete activities.

Your goal was under 10 and you did it!  NEXT!
The Hanson plan calls for 6 days of running per week.   Three of those runs are what he calls SOS runs...Something Of Substance.  One is an interval run (either short duration speed intervals or longer duration but slower strength intervals).  The second is a tempo run at race pace.  The third is a long run.  The other three are all easy/recovery effort runs.  The whole point is to build up your mileage to a cumulative fatigue level and still be able to complete the SOS runs.  He stresses the importance of not running anything to fast or you won't be able to complete the training on pace.  I think it's important not to skip anything or you defeat the purpose of his plan but that said I may be able to substitute one day of easy running with cross training.  And I may have to ease into his suggested interval runs as they are pretty brutal.  I don't think I could complete one on pace today.  Definitely still learning.  

Thursday was an early Liift day with Marty again.  Leg day  What a Face  I knew that my run was going to be tough afterwards so I planned on doing just 3 miles.  

3 miles @ 11:48 HR 134/150 Cadence 156 Stride .87
11:42 HR 128 Cad 156 SL .88
11:58 HR 135 Cad 157 SL .86
11:46 HR 139 Cad 156 SL .88

Quite pleased with that run.  My legs were definitely tired but held up well.  Oddly enough my arms/shoulders were probably just as sore/tired. 

Then I jumped in the car and headed to Sandy to spend a bit of time with my Mom and pick up some strawberries.  Mom is having some health issues that are going to require me to spend a bit more time with her this summer. 

Friday I planned on trying to get in at least 4 or 5 easy miles before my Zoom meeting started.  Janice texted just as I was walking out the door and asked if we could do the MADras Runners challenge route that morning.  I opted for an easy 3 mile run and then headed out to meet Janice...and Chuck & Norma...for a 2.5 miles.  It was on a rough trail and Janice can't see well enough to run it so we made it a brisk walk which worked perfectly for me.

3 miles @ 11:43 HR 140/155 Cadence 158 Stride .87
11:26 HR 131 Cad 159 SL .88
11:56 HR 143 Cad 158 SL .85
11:48 HR 146 Cad 158 SL .86

I think this is a perfect example of starting out a bit stressed and my HR reflects that.  Both these easy 3 mile runs were actually a bit faster than they should have been.  I need to try and keep them closer to or even over a 12:00 pace.  It's hard for me to slow down and maintain my form.  This is getting closer to what my Long Run pace should be.  So let's see what happens when I try to complete a long(ish) run at the end of a hard week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:59 pm

And the long(ish) run is in the books.  I decided last week after my 8 mile run that I would step back this week and planned on 6 miles.  Even though I had less miles planned for the week this week I had more higher intensity runs and I wanted to ease into my training cautiously.

6 miles @ 10:44 HR 143/162 Cadence 160 Stride .94
10:49 HR 135 Cad 160 SL .93
10:45 HR 140 Cad 161 SL .93
10:53 HR 143 Cad 160 SL .93
10:47 HR 144 Cad 159 SL .94
10:39 HR 147 Cad 159 SL .95
10:28 HR 150 Cad 160 SL .99

Not sure if I should be super pleased with this run or admit that I probably didn't hit my target pace and so I'm not sure if I accomplished the physiological improvement I was aiming for.  My long runs should probably be closer to 11:00-11:30.  So I wasn't terribly off pace...anyway it is what it is.  It was a nice pace, cadence, and HR.  Nice way to finish off the week.

My swim coach would have labeled it a negative split.  He would have written it on the board as a building session...the effort, pace, and HR built gradually throughout the session.  Not a perfectly executed build session but considering the hills it was pretty close.

So I finished off the week with 25 miles but it included 3 SOS runs.  Last week I had 32 miles with two SOS runs.  
Technically my HM training plan started on June 1st but I'm still tweaking the plan.  I've penciled in some runs but I'm still not ready to finalize it.  I'm ahead of the game when compared to Hanson's beginner plan but not confident I can/should dive into the advanced plan.  I'm looking for something in between the two.  I'll keep making adjustments for the next few days before I ink in the remainder of the plan.

I'm enjoying running more and feel a bit more positive about my running capability than I did a few weeks/months ago.  I'm still slightly frustrated but willing to put in the work and see where it takes me.  Trying hard to put my ego in it's place and accept the fact that it's going to take time and effort to accomplish my goals.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:13 pm

WOW.  Last few days have been tough.  Running is actually going pretty well.  It's life that's causing problems.  I'll spare you the details and just give you the highlights.

• Mom's mobility issues are increasing.  She's going to have to give up driving and walking will be difficult.  I'm going to have to visit more often.
  • The non-profit board that I serve on has really been struggling.  The financial issues caused by COVID in addition to the communication challenges have really come to a head and caused us to question our vision.  We lost one board member in the fray but I think we've turned the corner.  We had a much better meeting yesterday.
  • Farming is getting busy and all hell is going to break lose tomorrow when we start cutting hay.
  • We had the ambulance here yesterday.  Nope...not me.  Ayda choked and Natalie had to call 911.  By the time I located Kevin she was breathing again and the paramedics checked her out and she seemed OK.  Pretty scary for everyone.  She had just finished her bottle and Natalie has no idea why she choked.  She didn't have any toys or solid food within reach.

I'm seeing a slight rise in my resting HR and stress level per Garmin but it's not huge and I'm hoping it's just a blip. 

Monday - 4.25 miles including 3 x 800 (rest 400)  Average interval pace 9:04  
Overall pace 10:39 HR 151/171 Cadence 158

Interval splits 9:04, 9:12, 8:56

Pleased with this run.

Tuesday - Up early for Liift4 with Marty.  Chest/triceps today and it was a killer.

5 miles @ 11:39 HR 146/159 Cadence 158
11:21 HR 146 Cad 158
11:55 HR 142 Cad 157
11:37 HR 145 Cad 158
11:35 HR 149 Cad 158
11:42 HR 148 Cad 158

I was encouraged to see that I was able to settle down and relax after the first mile.  There is a bit of HR drift but this was a pretty consistent run once I settled in.  If I had to criticize I'd say it was probably a bit to fast for a true easy effort run.  That seems to be my greatest challenge.

I had hoped to start a new blog and have a solid training plan finished last week.  Obviously that did not happen.  And now I'm questioning the wisdom of making running 5 or 6 days a week a priority.  Maybe I need to allow more time for family, farming, and friends....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Wednesday's run was supposed to be 4 miles with 2 @ HMP but that was the only day Janice and I could coordinate to run the last MADras Runners Challenge route together.  We did all 10 challenge runs together.  Janice's husband Chuck, won the drawing two weeks ago and was awarded a gift certificate at the coffee kiosk.  He treated us to a celebratory coffee after the run.   Smile

So we added to the 2.3 mile route and ended up with 5 miles @ 11:27 HR 140/151 Cadence 159.  I'm enjoying the social aspect of a running partner even though it's sometimes difficult to coordinate.  

This morning we were up early for LIIFT4.  Back and Biceps today followed by a short HIIT session that challenged the legs.  Shocked  I took a bit of time to recover before heading out to make up the run I missed yesterday.

4 miles @ 10:42 HR 143/161 Cadence 161
WU 11:48 HR 124 Cad 158

1. 9:49 HR 151 Cad 164
  2. 9:38 HR 154 Cad 164

CD 11:30 HR 147 Cad 158

Average for the two mile tempo portion 9:44.  Still running these faster than I should be.  Maybe I need to increase the length so I'm forced to slow.  I'm trying to ease into this and I'm not doing a very good job of pacing myself...

Started swathing hay today.  It's going to be a busy couple of weeks!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Friday - Had an easy 5 on the plan but ran short of time so just did 3 before driving over the mountain to spend some time with Mom and bring some strawberries home.  I brought strawberries for Connor's birthday.  He turned 3 and that's what he asked for.  We celebrated with strawberry cake at the pond.

3 miles @ 11:11 HR 142/156 Cadence 159
11:18 HR 139 Cad 160
11:23 HR 142 Cad 159
10:53 HR 147 Cad 159

Nothing really notable but it's miles in the bank.

Saturday - It was warm (68) and more humid (51%) than normal this morning and I didn't get going as early as I planned but I logged 8 miles at long run goal pace.  HR was a bit high but I expected that.  Nice run to finish off a good week.

8 miles @ 11:14 HR 149/163 Cadence 159 
11:21 HR 139 Cad 159
11:34 HR 146 Cad 159
11:13 HR 149 Cad 158
11:30 HR 149 Cad 157
11:21 HR 152 Cad 159
11:21 HR 151 Cad 159
10:49 HR 152 Cad 160
10:44 HR 154 Cad 160

I had hoped to get out for a bike ride this week but didn't make it.  If things aren't to hectic I may try to squeeze in a short ride tomorrow.  It's supposed to be a rest day and I got in 29.25 miles this week plus two LIIFT4 workouts so I'm not going to worry if I don't have time.  I'll probably be on the tractor a good portion of the day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Sunday - I had to drive tractor but did squeeze in a 12 mile bike ride.  It was warm and I didn't push to hard but it turned out to be a pretty nice ride at a decent pace and cadence.  Maura used to always say that running made you a better biker.  I guess I saw evidence of that.

Monday - It was an absolute zoo around here.  Up at 4:00 and on the tractor before the sun came up.  I did have some breaks to eat and switch tractors but didn't finish baling until nearly 9:00.  It was a long day.

Tuesday - Today was HOT!  I was up at 4:00 again but less busy.  I squeezed in a run later in the morning.  It was getting hot but not terrible.

4.5 miles with 2/1 mile (1/2 mi rest) HR 147/163 Cadence 160
WU 11:42 HR 127 Cad 158

1. 9:54 HR 152 Cad 158 (Rest 1/2 mi @ 11:14)
  2. 9:49 HR 157 Cad 163

CD 11:56 HR 159 Cad 162

Deliberately slowed the pace/effort on the intervals today.  It was warm and I was short sleep and stiff and sore from sitting in the tractor so many hours.  I wasn't sure I was up to running but I felt much better afterwards.

The next couple weeks are going to be busy and difficult to plan time for running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

The week started out busy and kept it up the entire week!  I'm pleased to say that I still got in my 6 runs this week.  I had to run in the heat, slow down a bit, and shorten my distance but I got it done safely.

Tuesday 4.5 w/ 2x1 intervals @9:52 (1/2 mile rest) Overall run @10:52 HR 147 Cadence 160

Wednesday 5 miles @ 11:32 HR 147 Cadence 158

Thursday 4 miles w/ 2 miles @ 10:13 Overall run @ 11:05 HR 143 Cadence 159

Friday 4 miles @ 12:28 HR 136 Cadence 156

Saturday 3 miles @ 12:39 HR 136 Cadence 154

Sunday 6 miles @ 11:08 HR 139 Cadence 157  It was able to run when it was cooler this morning.

26.5 miles for the week.  Better than normal for this time of year!   Running Running Running

The next couple of weeks look like they will be just as busy.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 pm

nkrichards wrote:WOW.  Last few days have been tough.  Running is actually going pretty well.  It's life that's causing problems.  I'll spare you the details and just give you the highlights.

• Mom's mobility issues are increasing.  She's going to have to give up driving and walking will be difficult.  I'm going to have to visit more often.
  • The non-profit board that I serve on has really been struggling.  The financial issues caused by COVID in addition to the communication challenges have really come to a head and caused us to question our vision.  We lost one board member in the fray but I think we've turned the corner.  We had a much better meeting yesterday.
  • Farming is getting busy and all hell is going to break lose tomorrow when we start cutting hay.
  • We had the ambulance here yesterday.  Nope...not me.  Ayda choked and Natalie had to call 911.  By the time I located Kevin she was breathing again and the paramedics checked her out and she seemed OK.  Pretty scary for everyone.  She had just finished her bottle and Natalie has no idea why she choked.  She didn't have any toys or solid food within reach.

I'm seeing a slight rise in my resting HR and stress level per Garmin but it's not huge and I'm hoping it's just a blip. 

Sorry to read about your mom.  Is she fighting it (in denial)?  Yeah, you'll probably have to see her more often.  A seemingly inevitable event.

Boy, you've had some issues!  Maybe Ayda is transitioning from being able to breathe while sucking on a bottle, to breathe, suck some, breathe, suck some, etc.

I'll check out the times, later.  You hang in there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:37 pm

nkrichards wrote:And the long(ish) run is in the books.  I decided last week after my 8 mile run that I would step back this week and planned on 6 miles.  Even though I had less miles planned for the week this week I had more higher intensity runs and I wanted to ease into my training cautiously.

6 miles @ 10:44 HR 143/162 Cadence 160 Stride .94
10:49 HR 135 Cad 160 SL .93
10:45 HR 140 Cad 161 SL .93
10:53 HR 143 Cad 160 SL .93
10:47 HR 144 Cad 159 SL .94
10:39 HR 147 Cad 159 SL .95
10:28 HR 150 Cad 160 SL .99

Not sure if I should be super pleased with this run or admit that I probably didn't hit my target pace and so I'm not sure if I accomplished the physiological improvement I was aiming for.  My long runs should probably be closer to 11:00-11:30.  So I wasn't terribly off pace...anyway it is what it is.  It was a nice pace, cadence, and HR.  Nice way to finish off the week.

My swim coach would have labeled it a negative split.  He would have written it on the board as a building session...the effort, pace, and HR built gradually throughout the session.  Not a perfectly executed build session but considering the hills it was pretty close.

So I finished off the week with 25 miles but it included 3 SOS runs.  Last week I had 32 miles with two SOS runs.  
Technically my HM training plan started on June 1st but I'm still tweaking the plan.  I've penciled in some runs but I'm still not ready to finalize it.  I'm ahead of the game when compared to Hanson's beginner plan but not confident I can/should dive into the advanced plan.  I'm looking for something in between the two.  I'll keep making adjustments for the next few days before I ink in the remainder of the plan.

I'm enjoying running more and feel a bit more positive about my running capability than I did a few weeks/months ago.  I'm still slightly frustrated but willing to put in the work and see where it takes me.  Trying hard to put my ego in it's place and accept the fact that it's going to take time and effort to accomplish my goals.
I would think the run is consistent.  Your cadence was a straight line, so times were irrelevant, yet nice as a negative split.  After mile one, your HR for 2-6 were fine just creeping.  It would seem you pushed the last mile, since the stride was consistent for 1-5.

Maybe dive into the advanced plan after the HM, unless you're getting bored or need to run longer.  Nothing wrong with running more than 13.1 miles in training.  In fact, it might help your race strategy to see how your finishing mile 14 and 15 in a training run.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:36 am

nkrichards wrote:
Monday - 4.25 miles including 3 x 800 (rest 400)  Average interval pace 9:04  
Overall pace 10:39 HR 151/171 Cadence 158

Interval splits 9:04, 9:12, 8:56

Pleased with this run.

Tuesday - Up early for Liift4 with Marty.  Chest/triceps today and it was a killer.

5 miles @ 11:39 HR 146/159 Cadence 158
11:21 HR 146 Cad 158
11:55 HR 142 Cad 157
11:37 HR 145 Cad 158
11:35 HR 149 Cad 158
11:42 HR 148 Cad 158

I was encouraged to see that I was able to settle down and relax after the first mile.  There is a bit of HR drift but this was a pretty consistent run once I settled in.  If I had to criticize I'd say it was probably a bit to fast for a true easy effort run.  That seems to be my greatest challenge.

I had hoped to start a new blog and have a solid training plan finished last week.  Obviously that did not happen.  And now I'm questioning the wisdom of making running 5 or 6 days a week a priority.  Maybe I need to allow more time for family, farming, and friends....
But cadence was solid.  HR didn't have much creep and splits were fine.  I was mystified at how responsive your HR is to the pace of miles 1, 2, and 3.  My HR flows like a wave, where yours is 'spikier' and doesn't waste heart beats. 

If you FEEL like it was more than easy effort, then it was.  But is that cadence 'easy effort?'

And time to re-slice that pie!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks for dropping in Doug.  Your comments about stride and cadence are spot on...and not initially noticed by me.  I appreciate the extra analysis.

Mom is struggling to accept not driving.  She seemed OK initially but I think she is starting to realize how much it will change her life.  She lives in the country and is not at all social so doesn't have friends she can rely on.  My brother and his wife live on the property and Michelle does a lot for Mom but Mom gets very annoyed with her.  She mentioned maybe taking her boot off so she could drive and then putting it back on when she arrived at her destination.  What a Face

The ambulance was back.  Gary's girls rolled the side x side last Friday morning.  They were heading down to do some chores for Natalie and were running late.  Izzy (age 14) who normally drives like a slug zoomed down the driveway and around the corner and it started to skid.  She over corrected and over it went.  Kevin saw it happen and was there immediately and their Mom wasn't far behind.  Abby (age 12) was shook up but not hurt.  Izzy was pinned under the vehicle but Kevin was able to lift it off.  She got a ride in the ambulance...and got to chat with the sheriff and the paramedic as well.  Lots of bruising, ligament damage, and road rash but no broken bones.  They were very lucky.  So where was I when all this happened.  I was out on my 9 mile run.  Fortunately Marty called me before the ambulance, paramedic, and sheriff went rushing past.  My HR may have been a bit elevated during that run.

So...three Richards families live on the road.  Our house is the only one that hasn't had a visit from the ambulance...

So...running...I didn't realize I had been so slack in posting.  I have been running.

• Mon 6/29 5 miles @11:18 w/6 x 400 Avg 9:09 HR 145  Cad 157 Nice run considering my lack of rest.
  • Tue 6/30  Spent time with Mom
  • Wed 7/1   5 miles @10:53 w/3 @ 10:20 HR 147 Cad 160
  • Thur 7/2   5 miles @11:48 HR 145 Cad 160
  • Fri 7/3      9 miles @11:24 HR 155 Cad 159 This was the ambulance run.  Pretty pleased as it was also quite warm.
  • Sat 7/4  Todd Beamer event.  They had to change the course as we couldn't ride buses to the start.  The new course was on trails and Janice can't see well enough to run trails and I don't train on trails.  We decided to sign up for the 10K walk.  The walk also started earlier and we were hoping the snakes would still be sleeping...no such luck.  What a Face  Just a handful of participants.  We had to wear masks at the start and finish and their wasn't an opportunity to socialize.  I felt like I did my part to support the community.
  • Sun 7/5 5 miles @11:43 HR 142 Cad 158 

Finished the week with 5 runs for a total of 29 miles plus the 10K walk.  Good week.

• Mon 7/6 5 miles @ 10:57 w/4x800 Avg 9:15 HR 148 Cad 160
  • Tue 7/7  5 miles @ 11:51 HR 143 Cad 157
  • Wed 7/8  5 miles @ 11:39 HR 143 Cad 154
  • Thur 7/9 5 miles @ 10:53 w/3 @ 10:15  HR 150 Cad 159

Pretty pleased with my mileage.  I can feel the effects of so much running...and the lack of sleep.  A lot of the runs have been later in the morning when it's been warm.  Pretty happy with what I'm able to do.

I'll post more info about training...hopefully tomorrow.

Until then...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 am

I obviously didn't make it back on to post as planned but...

No more visits from the ambulance.  cheers

5 easy miles on Friday.

10 easy miles with Janice on Saturday.  This run was hilarious!

Busy day...details to follow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:I obviously didn't make it back on to post as planned but...

5 easy miles on Friday.

Well, life happens.

I had to look up side x side.  I'm sure they call them side by sides down here, but it just looks like a doored ATV to me.  Urban people. Rolling Eyes   Guess Gary gets to teach Izzy and Michelle about over-correction.  Has Izzy 'gotten back up on that horse,' yet?

Re: your mom, expect her to get in a wreck.  Nothing serious, but something like turning right from the left hand lane and gets gently t-boned by the person legally in the right hand lane.  That might make her query her abilities, unless she is stubborn as all hell that she was in the right hand lane.  My dad did that.  I told him, "Dad, do you think the cop would've given you a ticket, if you weren't in the wrong?"  He was around 88 at the time.  Driving was his freedom.  They lived in a 24,000 people college town.

At least things are still consistent enough for you to run.  I've had stuff like that happen and a run fixed me right up...once I could break free.

Your 'dues' are paid up here for 3 years.  No hurry.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I obviously didn't make it back on to post as planned but...

5 easy miles on Friday.

Well, life happens.

I had to look up side x side.  I'm sure they call them side by sides down here, but it just looks like a doored ATV to me.  Urban people. Rolling Eyes   Guess Gary gets to teach Izzy and Michelle about over-correction.  Has Izzy 'gotten back up on that horse,' yet?

Re: your mom, expect her to get in a wreck.  Nothing serious, but something like turning right from the left hand lane and gets gently t-boned by the person legally in the right hand lane.  That might make her query her abilities, unless she is stubborn as all hell that she was in the right hand lane.  My dad did that.  I told him, "Dad, do you think the cop would've given you a ticket, if you weren't in the wrong?"  He was around 88 at the time.  Driving was his freedom.  They lived in a 24,000 people college town.

At least things are still consistent enough for you to run.  I've had stuff like that happen and a run fixed me right up...once I could break free.

Your 'dues' are paid up here for 3 years.  No hurry.
Okay...I'm back.  I have good excuses for being away. 

Izzy is off crutches but still limping.  She is back to violin lessons...not driving again yet...but I don't think she's going to let this incident bother her to much.

So far Mom has not been driving.  She just can't with the boot on and doesn't have the ankle support she needs with it off.  She's just not to happy about it.  We're all trying to pitch in as she adjusts.  Growing old has to be hard...

I do find that running makes me feel better...even if it's a hot, slow run.  It just puts me in a better place mentally.

I promised details of my long run with Janice.  She originally said 8-9 miles.  She lives a mile from the park.  She left her house and I left the park at the same time.  When we met we headed back toward the park and continued on toward the prison for a mile or so and then returned to the park.  She decided she needed to stop at the bathroom and dropped her water at my car as it was leaking.  This was maybe mile 3.  We then headed down the hill where her husband offered us water.  We declined and continued on.  He stopped a bit farther down the road and Janice commented that she was planning to squat beside the car while I took water from Chuck.  He pulled off before we arrived so Janice squatted behind a tree.  This was mile 5.  We did accept water from Chuck a bit further down the road and then sent him home.  After mile 7 we started attacking the hill(s) back to the park.  We ran past a friends house and she cheered us on...Janice responded with a request for water.  And then we had to look at her flower that just bloomed.  Razz  Back to the hills.  We got in 10 miles...@ 12:03.  Janice was disappointed as her goal is to complete the half in <12:00 pace.  I was pleasantly surprised we did as well as we did.  Oddly enough I really enjoyed this run.  I guess maybe I should have been frustrated but I wasn't.  We chatted about lots of things and I really enjoyed myself.  And I ran at an appropriate easy pace.  cheers

Very busy on the farm but 

• Monday 6 miles w/3 x 1 mile intervals (1/2 mile rest) Average interval pace 9:23 Overall run @ 10:40 HR 150 Cadence 162.  Pretty pleased with this effort.
  • Tuesday 5 miles @ 11:34 HR 144 Cadence 158  Probably not easy enough.
  • Wednesday  Oh yeah...I'm in Portland for my appointment with Dr. Beckerman...
  • Thursday 4 miles @ 12:25 HR 140 Cadence 156.  I didn't get started till after 10:00.  It was 82 degrees, bright sun and no breeze.  I was very cautious.

So Tuesday I headed to Portland after lunch.  I stopped to visit with Mom for a few minutes and then continued on before rush hour traffic got to bad.  I arrived at my hotel a bit after 4:00 and once I got settled I headed over to Katie's house.  We had a light dinner.  I got to see her all her new projects.  And then we headed out for ice cream...it's National Ice Cream month.  

I mentioned my plan to get up early and go for a run jog in nearby Forest Park with the goal of trying to jog past the Rose Garden.  She suggested that she meet me there and after discussing many options we settled on a plan.  She picked me up at my hotel and we drove to the Rose Garden and enjoyed a leisurely chat and a mile walk through the gardens.  I didn't get my run in but it was a good decision.  I'll have to run there another time as it looks awesome.

And...Dr. B...  All the COVID stuff was a pain but my visit went well.  He does want me to try a bit harder to get my LDL levels down.  They went up from 80 to 88 and my HDL dropped from 66 to 61.  But the test was back in February when I wasn't very active.  Those numbers are within the suggested range for someone who doesn't have a history of CAD but he'd like to see the LDL a bit lower.  I can't tolerate a higher dose of statin.  I'm currently on 15 mg of atorvastatin.  He wrote a prescription for ezetimibe (Zetia) and wants me to try that for 3 months.  It has a different mode of action.  It limits the absorption of dietary cholesterol.  We had a good discussion and I did some research when I got home.  Seems reasonable enough to give it a try.

We had also a discussion about my risk of another cardiac event.  The discussion was brought on because I showed him a medical form that I needed to fill out to participate in an activity (snorkeling) on a trip to Iceland that I'm planning.  It indicated that anyone with a previous heart attack or CAD could not participate.  I emailed and asked if I could participate with my cardiologists permission.  No exceptions!  He was surprised and said he would have been willing to sign a release to allow me to participate if they would accept it.  He thinks my risk of another event warrants doing what I/we can to keep my cholesterol and inflammation in check.  He does not think that I need to limit my activities...provided I do make an effort to keep my cholesterol and inflammation under control.  I don't like the idea of being labeled a 62 year old female with CAD and a heart attack on my medical record but it is what it is I guess.

I stopped and visited with Mom a bit more on the way home and arrived home in time for a late lunch with Marty.  It was an exhausting 25 hours.  

I'm not making much progress towards a new blog and sharing my goals but I am still running and that's what counts!

I wonder if anyone would notice if I took a nap this afternoon?  These 4:00 am appointments with the tractor are wearing me down.  Hoping to run earlier tomorrow before it gets hot...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next