365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding toward my goals...

5 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 11 Empty Re: Sliding toward my goals...

Post  ounce Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:02 pm

I totally agree that your running muscles are largely healed with that 12:02 @ 132 bpm run. Nice to know that maybe one day I, too, could do that.

So farming is about over. Is your water source still mostly dry? I guess there's not much use in a cistern or similar, if there's no rain.

Regarding your bleeding injuries, you may want to consider not taking a baby aspirin for 1 day, so the platelets can stop your bleeding. Non-stemi is different than my LCX, so it's just a suggestion. But if your bruise keeps getting bigger, then you have 2 leaks. The bruising will only become an issue, when it gets into the muscle fibers. If the shoulder bruise gets bigger, suspend working out that area until it stops getting bigger. I failed to do that in February.

You won't get that bad.

Waiter! More TEA!!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:24 pm

ounce wrote:I totally agree that your running muscles are largely healed with that 12:02 @ 132 bpm run.  Nice to know that maybe one day I, too, could do that.

So farming is about over.  Is your water source still mostly dry?  I guess there's not much use in a cistern or similar, if there's no rain.

Regarding your bleeding injuries, you may want to consider not taking a baby aspirin for 1 day, so the platelets can stop your bleeding.  Non-stemi is different than my LCX, so it's just a suggestion.  But if your bruise keeps getting bigger, then you have 2 leaks.  The bruising will only become an issue, when it gets into the muscle fibers.  If the shoulder bruise gets bigger, suspend working out that area until it stops getting bigger.  I failed to do that in February.

You won't get that bad.

Waiter!  More TEA!!
We live in what they call the high desert.  Rainfall is <10" per year on average.  We rely on irrigation water collected in Wickiup Reservoir located on the east side of the Cascades 90 miles away.  It's an unusual naturally occurring system as the snow melt collects under ground in openings in the lava rock and then reappears in the form of springs which feed the rivers.  The melting snow and rain don't impact the rivers directly or quickly.  That means that it takes time for our water supply to respond to increased precipitation.  

Our irrigation district, North Unit Irrigation District, is one of the most efficient in the country but we still require on average about 2.5' of supplemental water to grow our crops.  Carrot seed watered with drip irrigation uses less and hay uses more but we have to rotate crops to keep the soil healthy and disease under control.  Our allocation last year was 1.75'.  This year it was 1.6'.  We expect it to be even less next year.  Fingers crossed for lots of snow!

My bruises aren't getting any larger...just changing color as expected during the healing process.  The bleeding is the result of my knuckles getting dry and cracking and the wounds reopening.  I'm not having any clotting problems.  The only blood thinner that I'm on is the baby aspirin.

8 miles with Janice this morning.
8 miles @ 12:03 HR 142/164 Cadence 159 SL .84
Nothing remarkable in the stats.  I should note that when I run with Janice I park at the bottom of the hill and run about a mile to our meet up point.  So I tackle the hill right off and pretty cautiously.  This is reflected in the slightly lower pace, lower cadence and higher HR.

I did notice that my HR did rise quickly this morning and at first I blamed it on the hill.  Then I remembered that Mon, Tues, and today I had a second cup of coffee.  I did not have that second cup before my lower HR run yesterday.  Was it a factor?  I don't know but it is interesting.

I'm having trouble feeling motivated with no race in sight and no training plan to follow.  I think lack of motivation was probably part of the cause of my slow recover.  ??
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I totally agree that your running muscles are largely healed with that 12:02 @ 132 bpm run.  Nice to know that maybe one day I, too, could do that.

So farming is about over.  Is your water source still mostly dry?  I guess there's not much use in a cistern or similar, if there's no rain.

Regarding your bleeding injuries, you may want to consider not taking a baby aspirin for 1 day, so the platelets can stop your bleeding.  Non-stemi is different than my LCX, so it's just a suggestion.  But if your bruise keeps getting bigger, then you have 2 leaks.  The bruising will only become an issue, when it gets into the muscle fibers.  If the shoulder bruise gets bigger, suspend working out that area until it stops getting bigger.  I failed to do that in February.

You won't get that bad.

Waiter!  More TEA!!
We live in what they call the high desert.  Rainfall is <10" per year on average.  We rely on irrigation water collected in Wickiup Reservoir located on the east side of the Cascades 90 miles away.  It's an unusual naturally occurring system as the snow melt collects under ground in openings in the lava rock and then reappears in the form of springs which feed the rivers.  The melting snow and rain don't impact the rivers directly or quickly.  That means that it takes time for our water supply to respond to increased precipitation.  

Our irrigation district, North Unit Irrigation District, is one of the most efficient in the country but we still require on average about 2.5' of supplemental water to grow our crops.  Carrot seed watered with drip irrigation uses less and hay uses more but we have to rotate crops to keep the soil healthy and disease under control.  Our allocation last year was 1.75'.  This year it was 1.6'.  We expect it to be even less next year.  Fingers crossed for lots of snow!

My bruises aren't getting any larger...just changing color as expected during the healing process.  The bleeding is the result of my knuckles getting dry and cracking and the wounds reopening.  I'm not having any clotting problems.  The only blood thinner that I'm on is the baby aspirin.

8 miles with Janice this morning.
8 miles @ 12:03 HR 142/164 Cadence 159 SL .84
Nothing remarkable in the stats.  I should note that when I run with Janice I park at the bottom of the hill and run about a mile to our meet up point.  So I tackle the hill right off and pretty cautiously.  This is reflected in the slightly lower pace, lower cadence and higher HR.

I did notice that my HR did rise quickly this morning and at first I blamed it on the hill.  Then I remembered that Mon, Tues, and today I had a second cup of coffee.  I did not have that second cup before my lower HR run yesterday.  Was it a factor?  I don't know but it is interesting.

I'm having trouble feeling motivated with no race in sight and no training plan to follow.  I think lack of motivation was probably part of the cause of my slow recover.  ??
Denver is also a 'high desert' climate.  Their average is 12 inches. 

Interesting set up for your water needs.  Thanks for explaining.  I'm glad your bruising is normal.

Your 2nd cup of coffee discovery is worth pondering and investigating, but I wonder how you could use it to your advantage.

BOOM!  8 miles, that's great!  As far as your motivation, you ran a trail race and you're recovering from your race.  Kick back and enjoy your recovery runs as you ponder your next move.  Weather will be getting cooler, up there, so I would kick back and begin that wonderful year-end close.  I'll train for both of us.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:02 am

Your 2nd cup of coffee discovery is worth pondering and investigating, but I wonder how you could use it to your advantage.

BOOM!  8 miles, that's great!  As far as your motivation, you ran a trail race and you're recovering from your race.  Kick back and enjoy your recovery runs as you ponder your next move.  Weather will be getting cooler, up there, so I would kick back and begin that wonderful year-end close.  I'll train for both of us.

Yeah, the coffee effect is interesting.  I use GU that has extra caffeine during races but have never thought much about coffee.  Natalie uses a product called Energize that Beachbody makes.  It contains 200 mg of caffeine.  Natalie swears by it.  I tried it but don't like it.  It made me feel shaky and tingly.  I don't like products that your body has to learn to tolerate...but maybe I've done that with coffee.

The 8 miles did feel good.  We did it at a nice pace and chatted along the way.  

Yesterday -  It's dark when we get up.  The days are getting short.  We had breakfast and I did a few things in the house before dressing for my run.  At 7:00 it was 42 so I put on a long sleeve shirt.  It was much warmer when I finally was able to head out the door at 9:45 so I switched shirts.  I had planned on another recovery effort run but at the last minute I decided to try an interval run.  I was bored with recovery effort runs.

5 miles with 6x400 (400 rest)
@ 11:06 HR 141/164 Cadence 162 SL .90
Fast intervals @ 9:16 Cadence 164 SL 1.06
Rest intervals @ 9:55 Cadence 161 SL .84

Not my fastest intervals but respectable.  It felt good to mix in some faster stuff.

We planned to go for a hike this weekend but with rain predicted for Saturday we opted to hike after lunch on Friday instead.  We decided to invite the boys.  It was warmer than expected and the boys struggled and needed some extra rest but it was still a good hike.
4 miles with 891' elevation gain.  We enjoyed some gorgeous views.

I was pretty pooped by the end of the day.  It is raining this morning and is predicted to rain lightly most of the day so today will be a much deserved rest day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 pm

We took advantage of the rainy day yesterday and took a drive.  We headed northwest to an area (Parkdale/Hood River) famous for it's orchards.  The fall colors were amazing and we found the orchard that Dad and Mom used to go to every year.  We got a box of mixed eating/pie apples to share with the kids/grandkids.  The ice cream store was closed so we ended up with a McDonalds milk shake...yuk!  Fun day.

We did a lower body lift workout his morning and then we saddled up the horses and mules and headed out for a ride.  We chose a nearby trail that had some impressive views.  Farmland, the small irrigation reservoir used to help regulate water, the mountains to the west, the Crooked River Gorge and High Bridge to name a few.  We ended up riding 8 1/2 miles in 3 hours.  Elevation gain ~1500'.  Another fun day.

But the exciting news...I added up my running miles today.  (I add them up every Sunday.) I got to wondering how my miles this year compared to years past.  Miles this year to date 912.57.  Most calendar year miles ever 976 in 2017.  I'm not only going to run more miles this calendar year than ever before but I'm also going to run over 1000 miles!!  I'll admit that my swimming and biking time is down this year but I've been consistent with my strength work.  Pretty pleased.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm

I was a bit stiff and sore after my horse ride on Sunday.  Fall has arrived.  Temperatures have dropped and it's windy.  I hate running in the wind.  Anyway...

Monday - 3 miles @ 10:55 HR 146/161 Cadence 162 SL .92
This was faster than I intended...I seem to have a habit of doing that.  But it was a nice run that helped loosen up a few of the stiff muscles.

Tuesday - Up early for an upper body lifting workout with Marty.  We're enjoying doing this together again.  It's not cold but it's very windy and I couldn't get excited about lacing up my shoes but I finally did.

4 miles @ 10:53 HR 144/163 Cadence 163 SL .91
I headed out and concentrated on short strides so I wouldn't go quite as fast as yesterday.  Well that didn't work. Laughing  Nice cadence though.  Once I got into the run at the faster pace I threw caution to the wind and made it a progression run.  Not fast enough to be considered a tempo run and definitely not an easy run.  Question  I did make it home before the winds really picked up.

Marty is headed to the northeast corner of the state with his mule later today.  He and his hunting partner are checking out a new elk hunting area.  I'm staying home to help Kevin with farm work this week.  Marty and I have a trip planned for next week.

May need to light a fire later today to enjoy while I relax with my cup of tea...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:21 pm

nkrichards wrote:Your 2nd cup of coffee discovery is worth pondering and investigating, but I wonder how you could use it to your advantage.

Yeah, the coffee effect is interesting.  I use GU that has extra caffeine during races but have never thought much about coffee.  Natalie uses a product called Energize that Beachbody makes.  It contains 200 mg of caffeine.  Natalie swears by it.  I tried it but don't like it.  It made me feel shaky and tingly.  I don't like products that your body has to learn to tolerate...but maybe I've done that with coffee.

Yesterday -  It's dark when we get up.  The days are getting short.  We had breakfast and I did a few things in the house before dressing for my run.  At 7:00 it was 42 so I put on a long sleeve shirt.  It was much warmer when I finally was able to head out the door at 9:45 so I switched shirts.  I had planned on another recovery effort run but at the last minute I decided to try an interval run.  I was bored with recovery effort runs.

Not my fastest intervals but respectable.  It felt good to mix in some faster stuff.

We planned to go for a hike this weekend but with rain predicted for Saturday we opted to hike after lunch on Friday instead.  We decided to invite the boys.  It was warmer than expected and the boys struggled and needed some extra rest but it was still a good hike.

I was pretty pooped by the end of the day.  It is raining this morning and is predicted to rain lightly most of the day so today will be a much deserved rest day.

I'm so far from hills and double that for mountains.

I don't do coffee. Never really liked it. One time, I drank coffee to pull an all nighter at TCU. It served its purpose.

Were the boys tuckered out before you and Marty? If so, does that surprise them?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:We took advantage of the rainy day yesterday and took a drive.  We headed northwest to an area (Parkdale/Hood River) famous for it's orchards.  The fall colors were amazing and we found the orchard that Dad and Mom used to go to every year.  We got a box of mixed eating/pie apples to share with the kids/grandkids.  The ice cream store was closed so we ended up with a McDonalds milk shake...yuk!  Fun day.

We did a lower body lift workout his morning and then we saddled up the horses and mules and headed out for a ride.  We chose a nearby trail that had some impressive views.  Farmland, the small irrigation reservoir used to help regulate water, the mountains to the west, the Crooked River Gorge and High Bridge to name a few.  We ended up riding 8 1/2 miles in 3 hours.  Elevation gain ~1500'.  Another fun day.

But the exciting news...I added up my running miles today.  (I add them up every Sunday.) I got to wondering how my miles this year compared to years past.  Miles this year to date 912.57.  Most calendar year miles ever 976 in 2017.  I'm not only going to run more miles this calendar year than ever before but I'm also going to run over 1000 miles!!  I'll admit that my swimming and biking time is down this year but I've been consistent with my strength work.  Pretty pleased.

1,000 miles for the year. My, my. I have no idea how far I have ran. But certainly not 1,000.

I, purposely, haven't had a McDonald's shake since the 90s. I agree with your assessment.

Getting out there is great. Are the horses and donkey happy to get out?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 am

nkrichards wrote:I was a bit stiff and sore after my horse ride on Sunday.  Fall has arrived.  Temperatures have dropped and it's windy.  I hate running in the wind.  Anyway...

Monday - 3 miles @ 10:55 HR 146/161 Cadence 162 SL .92
This was faster than I intended...I seem to have a habit of doing that.  But it was a nice run that helped loosen up a few of the stiff muscles.

Tuesday - Up early for an upper body lifting workout with Marty.  We're enjoying doing this together again.  It's not cold but it's very windy and I couldn't get excited about lacing up my shoes but I finally did.

4 miles @ 10:53 HR 144/163 Cadence 163 SL .91
I headed out and concentrated on short strides so I wouldn't go quite as fast as yesterday.  Well that didn't work. Laughing  Nice cadence though.  Once I got into the run at the faster pace I threw caution to the wind and made it a progression run.  Not fast enough to be considered a tempo run and definitely not an easy run.  Question  I did make it home before the winds really picked up.

Marty is headed to the northeast corner of the state with his mule later today.  He and his hunting partner are checking out a new elk hunting area.  I'm staying home to help Kevin with farm work this week.  Marty and I have a trip planned for next week.

May need to light a fire later today to enjoy while I relax with my cup of tea...

This is going to be a bit of a long post but I wanted to move this post up as it got lost in the background.  Pretty pleased with my cadence on these runs but they are hard to assess as the pace is not easy/recovery or tempo.  Somewhere in between.
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Your 2nd cup of coffee discovery is worth pondering and investigating, but I wonder how you could use it to your advantage.

I'm so far from hills and double that for mountains.

I don't do coffee.  Never really liked it.  One time, I  drank coffee to pull an all nighter at TCU.  It served its purpose.

Were the boys tuckered out before you and Marty?  If so, does that surprise them?
Yes, the boys started complaining early in the hike but rallied once we got close to the top.  When I mentioned that they should be full of energy because they were young Owen explained that people Dad and Mom's age could hike fast.  Kids were slow...like old people like Nanie and Pappy.   Shocked   Wait...Am I old!
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:We took advantage of the rainy day yesterday and took a drive.  We headed northwest to an area (Parkdale/Hood River) famous for it's orchards.  The fall colors were amazing and we found the orchard that Dad and Mom used to go to every year.  We got a box of mixed eating/pie apples to share with the kids/grandkids.  The ice cream store was closed so we ended up with a McDonalds milk shake...yuk!  Fun day.

1,000 miles for the year.  My, my.  I have no idea how far I have ran.  But certainly not 1,000.

I, purposely, haven't had a McDonald's shake since the 90s.  I agree with your assessment.

Getting out there is great.  Are the horses and donkey happy to get out?
Pretty excited about the thought of recording 1000 miles in my log book.   Very Happy

Don't let the mules hear you call them donkeys.  They will be offended!  We ride/pack mules which are the offspring of a female horse and a male donkey.  I won't tell Marty you called his stead a donkey...

I had trouble getting motivated on Wednesday.  I finally decided to challenge myself to a Tempo run.
6 miles @ 10:40 HR 146/163 Cadence 161 SL .95
w/4 miles @ 10:07  Very well executed building run.  Woohoo.

Thursday I squeezed in an easy effort run on a very busy day.
4 miles @ 11:29 HR 135/153 Cadence 160 SL .88

Marty was home on Friday so we got up early for a lower body lifting workout.  I was pretty excited about my tempo run on Wednesday and my legs didn't feel to tired so I plugged an interval run into my watch.  That was a mistake!!
5 miles @ 11:11 HR 142/159 Cadence 157 SL .92
w/4x800 (400 rest) Avg interval pace 9:57  Crying or Very sad

I knew right away that I was going to struggle...and it got worse.  My intervals were 9:34,  9:58, 10:16, 10:00.  And my cadence slipped more and more as the run progressed.  My legs just would not/could not respond.  It was miserable.  Maybe running an SOS run after doing lower body lifting is not a good plan.  Now the question is did I learn my lesson?

Heading out to run with Janice this morning.  She just wants to run 7 and we'll keep it at an easy pace...good thing as my legs are still not happy with me.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Thought I'd pop in quickly to update before I head out to ride horses/mules for a few days.  Marty and I are headed to the Steens Mountains.  The area has been on my wish list for years!  Spotty cell service at best so I'll check back in the end of the week when we return to civilization.

My run with Janice this morning went well.  She was tired and struggled the last mile but we got in a nice run...and had a good chat.  My legs were still not happy with me so they appreciated the slower pace.  I was pleased to see that my cadence was better.

7 miles @12:08 HR 140/155 Cadence 160 SL .83

Ride
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 pm

You'll have to tell me what the Steens mountains have to offer.  Keep in mind, the last time I saw a mountain was 2 years ago. 

1,000 miles!  Again, that's great!  You must have a party of some sort.

I'll try to remember the order of importance...horse, mule, donkey.

We're in the 80s, here.  Guess you'll have much cooler weather.  Any signs of the fires?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:42 am

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 11 8b9c3310
Marty on the Little Blitzen trail with his mules.
Sliding toward my goals... - Page 11 1d1fbb10
John and I on the trail.
Sliding toward my goals... - Page 11 1f2dfd10
This photo is rotated so it's hard to visualize.  It was taken during our drive above the Little Blitzen valley.  We rode the trail 8 miles up the valley the previous day.  Didn't quite make it to the end before running out of time.  We hope to go back next fall and ride in a camp so that we can see the end and hike a couple side trails that make their way out of the valley and up the sidewall.  Those side trails are to steep for the horses and mules.  I think this is my new favorite trail!  It was a gorgeous sunny day and the birch trees had their fall colors.  Perfect ride.

In addition to the Little Blitzen trail highlights of the trip included...

• Staying at the historic Frenchglen hotel.
  • A flat tire requiring us to drive an hour back to Burns for repairs.
  • A short ride in the Pueblo Mts.  Awesome views but to steep for my liking.
  • A milkshake in Fields.  Tiny little town in the middle of nowhere.
  • Sighting of a couple herds of Rocky Mt. Bighorn sheep.
  • Wild horse sightings.
  • Orionids Meteor Shower.
  • Driving Steens Mt. Loop road.

Overall just an awesome trip!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 am

ounce wrote:You'll have to tell me what the Steens mountains have to offer.  Keep in mind, the last time I saw a mountain was 2 years ago. 

1,000 miles!  Again, that's great!  You must have a party of some sort.

I'll try to remember the order of importance...horse, mule, donkey.

We're in the 80s, here.  Guess you'll have much cooler weather.  Any signs of the fires?
Pictures of our trip posted.

Yes, I'm pretty excited about running 1000 miles in a calendar year.  Maybe Janice and I should plan a celebratory run.  

We've had nice fall weather up till now but that's about to end abruptly.  Lows of 25 yesterday and today.  Predicted low on Sunday is 18 and Monday is 16.  It warms up to more normal fall weather after that.  

The Steens area wasn't impacted by the fires.  They are still a factor in some areas but things are pretty much under control.  They opened up one of the major roads that runs between Central Oregon and the Willamette Valley last week.  It had been closed from the fire damage.  My brother took Mom for a drive...I guess it was even more devastating to see in person than they expected.

I was exhausted upon our arrival home on Wednesday evening.  I had promised to watch the boys Thursday as Kevin and Natalie had to take Ian to Bend for an appointment with the cardiologist.  The pediatrician discovered a heart murmur at his well baby check a couple weeks ago and while not overly concerned suggested they get it checked out.  They performed an ECG and then an echocardiogram.  They had trouble getting Ian to be still and had to sedate him a bit.  He was given a clean bill of health.  Natalie said he does have a heart murmur but it's something that's common in young children and nothing to be concerned about.  I'll ask her the name of his official diagnosis and google it when I have time.

I obviously wasn't able to run while the boys were here.  I did finally make it out for a run but it was late and I was running short of daylight and temps were dropping quickly.

3 miles @ 10:55 HR 140/163 Cadence 162 SL .91
A bit faster than I intended.  The 163 max HR was in the first mile but I settled in and ran a comfortable pace building each mile.  Paces 11:01, 10:57, 10:44 and my max HR during the last mile was 144/156.  Got the kinks from the long hours on horseback and driving worked out nicely.  

I need to help with tractor work today but will find time to squeeze in a run...hopefully after it warms up a bit.  It's going to get windy as it warms up so conditions aren't going to be great any time.  

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Yeah, those are some great pictures.  Will that area be tougher to ride or hike through during the Winter snows?

I'm glad y'all got to do so much. 

Now, as far as Ian, I will guess it's Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA).  It might even be called Trivial PDA.  I think it usually resolves from 5-8 years old and forgotten or not mentioned from his history by the parents by 10 years old. 

Get back to work!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:27 am

Hiya!

Great photos from Steens and your mule trip. That looks like a lot of fun. 

Your story about the kids being left in the dust reminds me of a time when we visited a great aunt when I was a kid. She took us out to the old family ranch in the hills above Roseburg and showed us around... and left this chubby pre-teen gasping for breath as she bounced up hill and dale like a mountain goat. She was... AWESOME. I wish I'd gotten to know her better.

Anyway, 1,000 miles on the year is great. Temps down into the teens, not so great. We're about to hit the 20s here. But if Alec was in Pullman, they'd be looking at 11 or so this morning. Kind of an abrupt swing from our mild and warmish autumn.

Your running is going great. When you finally get a chance to do something really fun, Fast Freddy is going to be ready to roll.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 pm

ounce wrote:Yeah, those are some great pictures.  Will that area be tougher to ride or hike through during the Winter snows?

I'm glad y'all got to do so much. 

Now, as far as Ian, I will guess it's Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA).  It might even be called Trivial PDA.  I think it usually resolves from 5-8 years old and forgotten or not mentioned from his history by the parents by 10 years old. 

Get back to work!
We won't be going to the Steens in the winter!  It's a 5 hour drive to the trailhead.  Our ride started at 5300' and we got up over 6650'.  The road is over 9500'.  The mosquitoes will carry you away in the spring so the only good time to ride or hike the Steens is in the fall before the snow flies.
Mark B wrote:Hiya!

Great photos from Steens and your mule trip. That looks like a lot of fun. 

Your story about the kids being left in the dust reminds me of a time when we visited a great aunt when I was a kid. She took us out to the old family ranch in the hills above Roseburg and showed us around... and left this chubby pre-teen gasping for breath as she bounced up hill and dale like a mountain goat. She was... AWESOME. I wish I'd gotten to know her better.

Anyway, 1,000 miles on the year is great. Temps down into the teens, not so great. We're about to hit the 20s here. But if Alec was in Pullman, they'd be looking at 11 or so this morning. Kind of an abrupt swing from our mild and warmish autumn.

Your running is going great. When you finally get a chance to do something really fun, Fast Freddy is going to be ready to roll.
Thanks Mark.  I am excited about logging 1000 miles this year.  Maybe I'll figure out which run is going to put me over 1000 and make it a special run in some way.  Not sure I'll invite Fast Freddy though...

Friday - 5 miles @ 11:46 HR 138/152 Cadence 159 SL .86
42 degrees and WINDY.  It was cold!  and the headwind was not fun after I turned around.

Saturday - 5 miles @ 10:29 HR 146/160 Cadence 163 SL .94
42 degrees and not quite as windy but it sure felt much colder!  Much more consistent run.

Sunday - We did a 30 minute stretching routine.  And then settled in by the warm fire with a cup of tea.  I looked outside mid-afternoon and it was sunny and looked nice but I checked the weather...32 degrees with 10 mph winds...feels like 22.  No run today.

Monday - Up early for a lower body strength workout.  It warmed up from the overnight low of 15 and I headed out for a run after lunch.  It was actually a pretty nice day.  My legs were not happy with me at all though.  The didn't complain to much the first mile but from mile 1.5 to 3.5 they were pretty unhappy.  They finally settled down and realized the only way to end the suffering was to carry me home.  
5 miles @ 11:37 HR 143/158 Cadence 159 SL .87  Not a very well executed run but it's in the log book.

Better weather coming...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm

So, why do you think your legs were unhappy on the Monday run?  You didn't run on Sunday, but was the Monday lower body workout a new workout?

Otherwise, you're pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down.

Good job on the runs, even though the analysis wasn't as loving, but that's why numbers don't rule the roost.

Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:49 am

ounce wrote:So, why do you think your legs were unhappy on the Monday run?  You didn't run on Sunday, but was the Monday lower body workout a new workout?

Otherwise, you're pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down.

Good job on the runs, even though the analysis wasn't as loving, but that's why numbers don't rule the roost.

Approval
I addressed the unhappy legs in your blog Doug.  It's just a matter of remembering that I've increased what I'm asking my body to do...especially the legs...and recognizing the need to adjust running goals as needed as I progress.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous yesterday...and I wasn't able to run.  Crying or Very sad
But we did get a lot done.  

• Passport photos...maybe a bit optimistic but I want to be prepared when international travel opens up.
  • Flu shots.
  • Running shoes for Marty...it will be interesting to see if he carries through but he expressed an interest and I wanted to encourage him.  He's very flat footed, has a narrow foot, and also has had surgery to repair bunions so they spent a long time finding a shoe that was a good fit for him.  He ended up with Brooks Ghost 13.  
  • Updated trust and will...maybe not as optimistic as getting passport photos but still necessary.
  • Picked up our pork from the butcher shop...Kevin raises pigs and had one butchered and cut and wrapped for us.  Bacon. Very Happy

Once we got all our errands finished and had a late lunch I decided to prioritize tractor work for the rest of the afternoon.  We're trying to get cover crops planted this fall to prevent erosion and improve soil health over the winter. 

I'll try and find time to run a bit later this morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:30 pm

I sure hate it when great weather doesn't happen when I can run.

So you took care of your 'honey do' list and at least you'll have your passport when needed.

I've never worn Brooks shoes, to my memory.  Be easy on the boy.  Don't scare him on your first run.  Maybe a new member on the boards, here!

I got my flu shot in September.  Earliest that I've ever done it, but it's 2020. Rolling Eyes 

Good luck on your runs.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:10 pm

ounce wrote:I sure hate it when great weather doesn't happen when I can run.

So you took care of your 'honey do' list and at least you'll have your passport when needed.

I've never worn Brooks shoes, to my memory.  Be easy on the boy.  Don't scare him on your first run.  Maybe a new member on the boards, here!

I got my flu shot in September.  Earliest that I've ever done it, but it's 2020. Rolling Eyes 

Good luck on your runs.
I wanted to get our passports renewed before the rush that I expect when they do open up travel.  We hope to get back to Australia to see my host Mum.

I'm a big fan of Brooks shoes and always have been.  It was just a coincidence that Brooks were the only shoe that was narrow enough for Marty.  I don't expect him to be a runner (as in training or racing) but he does want to have the option to lace up and get some cardio work in.

It's pretty apparent that I've been struggling to find time to post.  Farming and family have taken the priority.  But I have been running.  I'm just going to quickly summarize my week.

Monday - Lower body strength.  5 miles @11:37 HR 143/158 Cadence 159 SL .87 This was the day my legs were not happy and the pace and cadence slowed considerably as the miles progressed.

Tuesday - Trying a new program...cardio today which meant lots of jumping and hopping.  We both had sore calves the next day.  Then we did all our errands and I finished the day on the tractor.

Wednesday - Upper body strength.  5 miles @11:48 HR 144/158 Cadence 159 SL .86  Stats don't look much different from yesterday but this run was much more consistent.  Much better execution.

Thursday - The workout in the new program was called Speed 1.0.  Running in place and more jumping and hopping.   Shocked   5 miles @ 12:14  HR 140/153 Cadence 161 SL .81  I was determined to slow down and run a true easy run.  Slightly lower HR and better cadence.

Friday - Upper body strength...tough after upper body on Wednesday.  5 miles @11:55 HR 139/163 Cadence 160 SL .85  HR soared in the first mile but settled down nicely.

Saturday - 10K with Janice @ 11:35 HR 141/158 Cadence 161 SL .86  I enjoyed this run!

Sunday - 30 minute stretching workout

So that gave me 26.2 miles for the week.   Very Happy
Some quick thoughts...

• I've been getting sloppy about executing my runs.  I've just been running in a haphazard manner.  I need to concentrate on specific training goals for each run.
  • Its only been a few weeks since my health scare.  While I'm pretty sure that it was stress caused...and that I/we are working on limiting that stress...there may be some residual stress issues.
  • It's only been 4 weeks since my trail run.  I'm fully recovered from the scrapes and bruises that I suffered when I fell but I ran it at race effort and didn't take a lot of time off to recover. 
  • Marty and I have increased the frequency and intensity of our workouts.  We were doing 2 days a week plus a stretching day.  Now we're trying to workout 5 days a week plus a stretching day.  And we're adding different workouts that are challenging us to use different muscles.  
  • I'm not acclimated to the cold and I've been overdressing more often than not.

Is it any wonder that I feel like I'm struggling a bit?

Not all my thoughts were negative.

• I'm running enough miles to maintain/build my base.
  • My cadence is slightly faster than it was this spring and it's becoming more natural and less forced.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I sure hate it when great weather doesn't happen when I can run.

Good luck on your runs.
I wanted to get our passports renewed before the rush that I expect when they do open up travel.  We hope to get back to Australia to see my host Mum.

I'm a big fan of Brooks shoes and always have been.  It was just a coincidence that Brooks were the only shoe that was narrow enough for Marty.  I don't expect him to be a runner (as in training or racing) but he does want to have the option to lace up and get some cardio work in.

It's pretty apparent that I've been struggling to find time to post.  Farming and family have taken the priority.  But I have been running.  I'm just going to quickly summarize my week.

Monday - Lower body strength.  5 miles @11:37 HR 143/158 Cadence 159 SL .87 This was the day my legs were not happy and the pace and cadence slowed considerably as the miles progressed.

Tuesday - Trying a new program...cardio today which meant lots of jumping and hopping.  We both had sore calves the next day.  Then we did all our errands and I finished the day on the tractor.

Wednesday - Upper body strength.  5 miles @11:48 HR 144/158 Cadence 159 SL .86  Stats don't look much different from yesterday but this run was much more consistent.  Much better execution.

Thursday - The workout in the new program was called Speed 1.0.  Running in place and more jumping and hopping.   Shocked   5 miles @ 12:14  HR 140/153 Cadence 161 SL .81  I was determined to slow down and run a true easy run.  Slightly lower HR and better cadence.

Friday - Upper body strength...tough after upper body on Wednesday.  5 miles @11:55 HR 139/163 Cadence 160 SL .85  HR soared in the first mile but settled down nicely.

Saturday - 10K with Janice @ 11:35 HR 141/158 Cadence 161 SL .86  I enjoyed this run!

Sunday - 30 minute stretching workout

So that gave me 26.2 miles for the week.   Very Happy
Some quick thoughts...

• I've been getting sloppy about executing my runs.  I've just been running in a haphazard manner.  I need to concentrate on specific training goals for each run.
  • Its only been a few weeks since my health scare.  While I'm pretty sure that it was stress caused...and that I/we are working on limiting that stress...there may be some residual stress issues.
  • It's only been 4 weeks since my trail run.  I'm fully recovered from the scrapes and bruises that I suffered when I fell but I ran it at race effort and didn't take a lot of time off to recover. 
  • Marty and I have increased the frequency and intensity of our workouts.  We were doing 2 days a week plus a stretching day.  Now we're trying to workout 5 days a week plus a stretching day.  And we're adding different workouts that are challenging us to use different muscles.  
  • I'm not acclimated to the cold and I've been overdressing more often than not.

Is it any wonder that I feel like I'm struggling a bit?

Not all my thoughts were negative.

• I'm running enough miles to maintain/build my base.
  • My cadence is slightly faster than it was this spring and it's becoming more natural and less forced.

Life goes on...
I hope he doesn't find out about treadmills.  It could be interesting to track his HR as a rookie, yet works out.  Ought to be quite the shock to the heart.  I can hear the 'flop' as the heart gets out of its hammock.

Going back to Australia should be an interesting logistical project.

You're consistent on Pace/HR/Cadence on your five mile runs...you know, the variance isn't bad considering the other tasks you're doing.  Glad you didn't run on Sunday.

What do you consider a haphazard manner?
I wonder if it takes longer for the stress to unwrap itself to get back to baseline, as a result of the cascading that went on. scratch

So, are you still recovering from the race, IYHO?
Challenging other muscles is always a good thing and if you can still run with 5 days of working out, then 'decathlete' will not be an adequate descriptor.

Your base and working out 5 days a week ought to change more than cadence.  But I understand the acclimation to cold problem.  Wind is the biggest wild card for me.

Woohoo!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Monday.  Up early for the last lower body (leg) strength workout in this program.  Marty challenged me to up my weights a bit.   Shocked  I can't pass up a challenge.  I survived the workout.  Then I headed out to drive tractor until the temperature improved a bit.  It was nearly noon and actually got relatively warm before I headed out for my run.

5 miles @11:39 HR 143/158 Cadence 159 SL .88
Stats are identical to last Monday's run which was also after a leg strength workout.  But it felt a little better and was executed a little better.  Last Monday I started to quickly and really faded as the run progressed.  This Monday I was a bit more cautious as I knew my legs were tired.  I did slow a bit during the third mile...and that's when my cadence dropped a couple clicks as well.  But I perked up a bit and finished much better than last week.  Legs were definitely tired and felt a bit wobbly...I think I remember you using that descriptive term in the past Doug.  Doubles are going to be hard on leg strength days!

Marty is packing for elk hunting.  He leaves early Wednesday and should be home a week from Friday.  I'll have the 3 boys all day Wednesday and Thursday as Natalie is headed to Portland for LASIK surgery.  Katie is coming over this weekend to spend some time with the kids.  Owen (age 8 ) has asked her to help him make his Mom a headband for Christmas.  Abby (age 12) wants Katie to teach her how to sew.  Katie and I are headed to Oregon City on Sunday to take Mom to a houseboat floating on the Willamette River to spend a couple days just doing nothing.  Mom is looking forward to getting out of the house.  Katie and I will head to Carson, Washington on Tuesday after dropping Mom off.  We're staying at an old hot springs resort...my Grandparents used to stay there.  We'll try and find a hike if it isn't raining to much but if the weather is icky we'll enjoy a nice soak and relax by the fire in our room.

Why am I putting all this in my blog...because I may be to busy to blog.  Possibly to busy to even run.  I'll check in when I can.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:30 pm

A Nancy-expected jam packed time away.  Freddie will be bugging Augie for some action.

Enjoy the healing time away.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:27 am

ounce wrote:A Nancy-expected jam packed time away.  Freddie will be bugging Augie for some action.

Enjoy the healing time away.
Apparently I forgot to mention that Augie started chasing the horses/mules and nipping at their heals.  One episode of bucking was enough to convince Marty that was not a safe situation.  Augie has a new home.

Marty is packed and ready to head to elk camp.  I'm heading out for an early morning run with Janice before the boys arrive later this morning.

I'll check in when I'm able.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:00 am

Time for a quick post before the boys wake up.

Tuesday - Up early for Total Body Circuit.  A body weight workout. 
5 miles @ 11:37 HR 141/156 Cadence 161 SL .86
Similar stats to yesterday's run but much better executed.

Wednesday - I helped Marty get loaded and away and then had time for a run with Janice before Kevin dropped the boys off.
6.5 miles @ 11:55 HR 142/161 Cadence 159 SL .85  It was a nice run.

The boys had some online schooling to do.  We made caramel to dip their apples in for a treat.  It was a nice day and they were restless so I loaded them up and we went to Haystack Reservoir (a small irrigation reservoir only 15 minutes away that has a campground and day use area).  We spent a couple hours throwing rocks...boys seem to enjoy that.  Smile  Bubble baths for the boys before bed.  If there is time after they do their schoolwork I may try to take them for a short hike later this morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next