365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comeback

+16
fostever
mountandog
Chris M
mul21
T Miller
Nick Morris
JohnP
Julie
carleenp
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Schuey
Dave P
ounce
John Kilpatrick
Jerry
20 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Comeback - Page 4 Empty Re: Comeback

Post  Jerry Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Boston Training Week 5

Wednesday, 1/8

Getting up late, did 2 planks with one minute each in the morning only. I waited to check my DD's foot, which was stepped on in soccer training yesterday, before I headed to work. She was ok. I even had time to eat some leftover from last night as breakfast.

7 miles on TM during lunch break with 2-3 on 4%, Boston specific training.  lol!

Last edited by Jerry on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Jerry wrote:Boston Training Week 5

Wednesday, 1/8

Getting up late, did 2 planks in the morning only. I waited to check my DD's foot, which was stepped on in soccer training yesterday, before I headed to work. She was ok. I even had time to eat some leftover from last night as breakfast.

7 miles on TM during lunch break with 2-3 on 4%, Boston specific training.  lol!

When you say "2 planks"  was that 2 sets of planks or just 2 planks? Neutral
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

ounce wrote:

Wednesday, 1/8

Getting up late, did 2 planks in the morning only. I waited to check my DD's foot, which was stepped on in soccer training yesterday, before I headed to work. She was ok. I even had time to eat some leftover from last night as breakfast.

Ok, 2 sets.  Embarassed
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Jerry wrote:
ounce wrote:

Wednesday, 1/8

Ok, 2 sets.  Embarassed

Actually, I expected you to say 2 planks.  Really.   lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:49 am

ounce wrote:
Jerry wrote:
ounce wrote:

Wednesday, 1/8

Ok, 2 sets.  Embarassed

Actually, I expected you to say 2 planks.  Really.   lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!

Hmmm, I might have misunderstood/misused "set".

When I do plank, I just hold for 1-2 minutes till I can''t hold, rest 1-2 minutes, then repeat. So yesterday, I did 2.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Boston Training Week 5

Thursday, 1/9

134 lbs.

AM: 8 easy, I felt tired, but was able to naturally get on low 8 pace, then one mile at 7:35. Pretty happy with the pace progression over the past several weeks.

Noon: 5 recovery.

Several things occurred to me:

1. Went to sleep at 8:30pm, couldn't get up on time.  lol! I was thinking more of 10 miles.
  2. During the morning run, I realized we lived just 1-2 miles from a major shopping mall with 5-6 story garage. That means hills and stairs. Nice.
  3. In the lunch break run, I put the TM on 6% hill. I looked at it. It didn't seem to be steep at all. Maybe the hill I am running on now is very decent.

36 so far this week. Looks like I am going to hit 80 this week.  Running
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Boston Training Week 5

Friday, 1/10

134 lbs.

AM: 7 easy.

I did pretty much, went to bed early, got up on time, looked outside of the window for rain, nope, dressed and opened the door, well, it was raining.

Undressed, dressed working clothes, drove to the company, went to gym, I was sick of the TM, but survived a 7.

I was hoping an easy 10 outside.

Noon: 4 recovery. 1 stair master plus 3 TM, hate it.

I may do some strength training after work, maybe not. I will updpate.

47 so far for the week, I think.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:10 pm

1. In the lunch break run, I put the TM on 6% hill. I looked at it. It didn't seem to be steep at all. Maybe the hill I am running on now is very decent.

I'm not buying this.  Trying running a mile at just 7:30 pace on that "not step at all" incline and let me know how that feels.   If you are feeling like a tough guy, knock out 6 x 800 at goal MP at 6% grade.   You won't make it.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Chris M wrote:

1. In the lunch break run, I put the TM on 6% hill. I looked at it. It didn't seem to be steep at all. Maybe the hill I am running on now is very decent.

I'm not buying this.  Trying running a mile at just 7:30 pace on that "not step at all" incline and let me know how that feels.   If you are feeling like a tough guy, knock out 6 x 800 at goal MP at 6% grade.   You won't make it.

Hey Chris, I am only speaking about its appearance and compare it with the street I am running on for hill repeats.

Late March, let me try MP on 4-6% though.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

You're on.  Complete 6% treadmill grade 6 x 800 at 8.9 mph (6:44 pace) with 2:00 walk/jog/puke rest interval between before Boston and I'll buy you some Boston 2014 gear. You'll be mumbling "ain't gonna be no Heartbreak Hill rematch" before that one ends.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Chris M wrote:You're on.  Complete 6% treadmill grade 6 x 800 at 8.9 mph (6:44 pace) with 2:00 walk/jog/puke rest interval between before Boston and I'll buy you some Boston 2014 gear. You'll be mumbling "ain't gonna be no Heartbreak Hill rematch" before that one ends.
Isn't that like 6x800@5k, according the treadmill pace conversion thing you mentioned before? Maybe hill is different, I have no clue. Ok I will give it a shot. I can't provide any proof, cause I have only TM at work gym and will have to do it in the morning when nobody is around. Nobody runs that fast in our small gym.

I don't have to buy you anything if I fail, right? So what do I have to lose? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:You're on.  Complete 6% treadmill grade 6 x 800 at 8.9 mph (6:44 pace) with 2:00 walk/jog/puke rest interval between before Boston and I'll buy you some Boston 2014 gear. You'll be mumbling "ain't gonna be no Heartbreak Hill rematch" before that one ends.
Isn't that like 6x800@5k, according the treadmill pace conversion thing you mentioned before? Maybe hill is different, I have no clue. Ok I will give it a shot. I can't provide any proof, cause I have only TM at work gym and will have to do it in the morning when nobody is around. Nobody runs that fast in our small gym.

I don't have to buy you anything if I fail, right? So what do I have to lose? lol!

Yup - nothing for you to lose except your lunch when you try and fail to complete the workout.   The equivalent workout on a track would be 6x800 at 5:39 pace.   But I think you will have a harder time with 6:44 at 6% on a mill than 5:39 on the track given how few hills you run.  You will definitely earn some 2014 Boston Gear purchased by me if you knock out six 0.5 mile repeats on 2:00 rest at 8.9 mph/6% grade.  Good luck!  Try one repeat like that this week so you see what you are up against!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 am

Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Yup - nothing for you to lose except your lunch when you try and fail to complete the workout.   The equivalent workout on a track would be 6x800 at 5:39 pace.   But I think you will have a harder time with 6:44 at 6% on a mill than 5:39 on the track given how few hills you run.  You will definitely earn some 2014 Boston Gear purchased by me if you knock out six 0.5 mile repeats on 2:00 rest at 8.9 mph/6% grade.  Good luck!  Try one repeat like that this week so you see what you are up against!

This is great, I wish Jerry's work gym had a live video feed. I guess we'll have to rely on Jerry's response. Oh well...
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:57 am

T Miller wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:

This is great, I wish Jerry's work gym had a live video feed.  I guess we'll have to rely on Jerry's response.  Oh well...

Oh crap, now I have to do it ...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am

Boston Training Week 5

Saturday, 1/11

4 at sub 8 pace and 1 at 7:08. I was very happy again with my pace progression.

Sunday, 1/12

The pace went from 10-11 to 8:25. I loved it.

Weekly: 76.8

Boston Training Week 6

Monday, 1/13

I was planning to do 20, the reason I saved myself Sunday. Then I wanted to cook breakfast for my DD, then I wanted to catch a noon movie - Wolf of The Wall Street, then I had time only for a 13.

The pace was quite similiar to Sunday's though. As I warmed, I was able to pick it up all the way.

Tuesday, 1/14

AM: strength training

Very tired at legs, I didn't even bother to go out for a warmup run. I didn't feel well last night, not sick, mostly tired, thus went to sleep early. It helped.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Nice work, Jerry.  The early to  bed was well deserved and we all need it once in a while.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nice work, Jerry.  The early to  bed was well deserved and we all need it once in a while.

Thanks Michele. I now have hope I can hit sub 1:23 half next month. cheers
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Yes, Jerry, your body is screaming for rest.  Let it have its way.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm

ounce wrote:Yes, Jerry, your body is screaming for rest.  Let it have its way.

I know, but I refuse to rest.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Jerry wrote:
ounce wrote:Yes, Jerry, your body is screaming for rest.  Let it have its way.

I know, but I refuse to rest.

Comeback - Page 4 Burning-candle-both-ends-22937784
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Boston Training Week 6

Wednesday, 1/15

AM: 11-13xhill, I lost count, again. Overall 7 miles.

Noon: 1 mile on Stairmaster, 2 miles on TM. Then I had 10 pullups, plus 3 and another 3. Two sets of heel rise.

WTD: 23 miles
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Boston Training Week 6

Thursday, 1/16

6.29 in the morning.

6 during lunch break.

In the long run, I've also decided two things:

1. Work very hard on my hill repeats: I was always lazy to stop the workout whenever I couldn't hold the form. I will stick to the form rule, but demand more repeats even if I need to cut the distance short. I think I can push myself a few more repeats in this tactics.
  2. Start Tempo run this week: I will try MP, maybe for two weeks, then build from there. This way, I have about 6 tempos before Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon 3/23.

I also announced to my wife yesterday at dinner I would be working on getting Diet Coke addiction out of my life. Now I believe this thing really messes up my diet, weight and sleep.

I also started fantasizing how well my training had been going, though a 141 heart beat at 8:07 pace might not justify that this morning, that I put a note in my calendar early March to decide if I needed to cancel New York Marathon application. The reason is, if I really train well, I may not want to "waste" it on a hilly course. I don't know and need to ponder more on this topic. The initial intention was to have 2014 as a base builing year, then go all out in Chicago 2015 and Houston 2016.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Jerry wrote:Boston Training Week 6

Thursday, 1/16

6.29 in the morning.

6 during lunch break.

1. Work very hard on my hill repeats: I was always lazy to stop the workout whenever I couldn't hold the form. I will stick to the form rule, but demand more repeats even if I need to cut the distance short. I think I can push myself a few more repeats in this tactics.
  2. Start Tempo run this week: I will try MP, maybe for two weeks, then build from there. This way, I have about 6 tempos before Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon 3/23.

I also announced to my wife yesterday at dinner I would be working on getting Diet Coke addiction out of my life. Now I believe this thing really messes up my diet, weight and sleep.

I also started fantasizing how well my training had been going, though a 141 heart beat at 8:07 pace might not justify that this morning, that I put a note in my calendar early March to decide if I needed to cancel New York Marathon application. The reason is, if I really train well, I may not want to "waste" it on a hilly course. I don't know and need to ponder more on this topic. The initial intention was to have 2014 as a base builing year, then go all out in Chicago 2015 and Houston 2016.
Jerry the training is going well, keep it up.

Also note I don't think that you are wasting your training on Boston. To be honest with you I believe Boston is a great place to run a PR.

I think it is great that you are doing the hill repeats on the treadmill but I think that the mistake people make with Boston is doing just the incline. I'm going to be the first to tell you I have not and will not again this year do a single Hill repeat workout. The only time I do any hill incline running on the treadmill is when I run the course or add some incline in the middle of a run. 

Now what I do do and I will keep saying it over and over the only reason I feel that I run my best races in Boston is due to the fact that I'm ready and prepared for all the downhill running. It is the all the downhill running that you do in that race that kills the quads, the better prepared for that the better you will handle not just the Newton section of the course but more so miles 21 to the finish. 

Yes, I know I'm lucky 1. I have a treadmill that does -6& decline, 2. I can go places out doors to run downhill.

Here is what I think you can do to prepare yourself for Boston if you want to have great race and even break 3 hours there.

There has to be a place you can go to in Texas near your house where you can get some downhill running in. Sure it might mean you have to drive somewhere but to be honest it will be well worth your time to do at least once a week. You can even run up and down a bridge. Doing that will kill to birds with one stone Hill repeats that you like to do and downhill repeats.

Another option that might work a weekly tempo run and fartlek run and increasing the mileage some on the mill. 

Maybe it is just me but I find Boston a great place to run a PR. Of my last 2 marathon PRs they both came in Boston and not in Chicago.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:Boston Training Week 6

Thursday, 1/16

6.29 in the morning.

6 during lunch break.

Jerry the training is going well, keep it up.

Also note I don't think that you are wasting your training on Boston. To be honest with you I believe Boston is a great place to run a PR.

I think it is great that you are doing the hill repeats on the treadmill but I think that the mistake people make with Boston is doing just the incline. I'm going to be the first to tell you I have not and will not again this year do a single Hill repeat workout. The only time I do any hill incline running on the treadmill is when I run the course or add some incline in the middle of a run. 

Now what I do do and I will keep saying it over and over the only reason I feel that I run my best races in Boston is due to the fact that I'm ready and prepared for all the downhill running. It is the all the downhill running that you do in that race that kills the quads, the better prepared for that the better you will handle not just the Newton section of the course but more so miles 21 to the finish. 

Yes, I know I'm lucky 1. I have a treadmill that does -6& decline, 2. I can go places out doors to run downhill.

Here is what I think you can do to prepare yourself for Boston if you want to have great race and even break 3 hours there.

There has to be a place you can go to in Texas near your house where you can get some downhill running in. Sure it might mean you have to drive somewhere but to be honest it will be well worth your time to do at least once a week. You can even run up and down a bridge. Doing that will kill to birds with one stone Hill repeats that you like to do and downhill repeats.

Another option that might work a weekly tempo run and fartlek run and increasing the mileage some on the mill. 

Maybe it is just me but I find Boston a great place to run a PR. Of my last 2 marathon PRs they both came in Boston and not in Chicago.

Thanks Schuey for the sound advices on my random thoughts. No, I don't want to work too hard on hills cause I haven't done good enough job on what I can do yet. Lets see what happens.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm

No problem Jerry. Just so you know I think your a awesome runner and with the continue training that you are doing you will have some great race and I believe you will lower your marathon PR!!! I'm excited to also read you plan to comeback and run Chicago in 2015 maybe I can help you to run that PR you are looking to run that day!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next