365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 17 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Julie wrote:You have a fun blog, Mark. Chocolate and all that....

Glad you like it! And everything's better with chocolate. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Nice job on the 20!  Take it easy for a couple days and enjoy that chocolate.  Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice job on the 20!  Take it easy for a couple days and enjoy that chocolate.  Smile

Yes, ma'am!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Misty, cool. 42 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, pullover, hat. Fuel: Stomach acid (Grape Nuts didn't sit well this morning).

I woke up much less sore this morning (woot!), so I felt pretty confident that I'd work even more kinks out on my barefoot run this morning. My goal was to relax as much as possible and let whatever happened happen. I got out the door just in time to deal with a light mist for most of the run, but it wasn't too bad.

My HR stayed lower than I expected, and my paces were better than expected. In fact, there was no fall-off or HR creep between my second and third mile. Pleasant surprise. Not so pleasant was a lot of acid indigestion from my breakfast. ate it when that happens. It's like gargling battery acid. At any rate, it didn't seem to affect the rest of my body, which warmed up after a lap or two and mostly enjoyed the outing.

Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, a little breezy. 51

I had time for a walk at lunch today, and I toyed with the idea of heading over to Oregon and back (a 3-mile route). I decided to stay on this side of the river and do a bit less. Glad I did. My ankles are a little edgy, and I need to be fresh enough to do 6 on Thursday and Friday.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Low HR Run: 6.3 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 42 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket/vest. Fuel: Nothing during.

Cruised out into the country near my house, trying to keep a relaxed, steady effort. The pace was actually pretty good for wearing shoes. I cracked into the 9s in my first mile after my warmup, and I didn't slow down all that much as the run proceeded. I even noticed that my legs felt kinda strong and springy a few times, which is a nice feeling. Smile

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Extended MAF Test: 10.25 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool, 36 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (off and on). Fuel: Oatmeal and coffee before. Water after 5 miles of Maffin'

I've noticed some improvements in my regular runs lately, so it was time to see if my perceptions were correct. I headed out to the local high school track for an extended MAF test, tacking on four extra miles to make this a 10-mile effort. I'd skipped my Friday run due to scheduling and a slightly sore shin, so I was fairly fresh even though I'm in the middle of two hard weeks.

The conditions were pretty good. A bit on the chilly side, but not windy. It kept heat build-up in check.

I was happy to see the first two miles well below the 10-minute line. I wasn't surprised when it drifted up - it was still showing improvement - and I noticed that my body settled into a long-term sustainable pace of about 10:15/mi toward the end. After I took a pit stop and got back out, it held right about that level for the rest of the run. It's nice to see that consistency.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 Screen30

And as far as tracking improvement goes, it was nice to see my body coming back on board. (That 9:31 first mile last July was in taper just before my 50.)

What Comes Next  - Page 17 Screen31

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Trail Run: 20.18 miles

Weather: Gorgeous! Sunny. Started in the upper 30s, finished in the upper 60s. Gear: Altra Superiors, shorts, T, jacket, hat and gloves (all stowed after I warmed up). Fuel: 64 ounces of nuun in Camelbak. Granola bars at 1:30, 3:00. Gu at 2:15; 3:30ish. Endurolytes at 1, 2, 3 hours (1 capsule), then two at 4 hours.

Today is supposed to be the warmest day of the year, so I just had to head out for my first extended trail outing since last July. It was the second 20-miler in a row in my double-hard system, and it'd been a while since I'd been out, so I wasn't surprised when it got more difficult in the last hour or so. I could feel the strength in my legs, though, lurking in there somewhere, and I'll be happy when it comes out more.

The trail was in pretty good shape, with the exception of some traditionally wet spots were quite muddy. Of course, the muddy spots are super-slippery (clay mud, whee!) and usually on a steep bit of trail or precariously next to a big drop-off, so falling would be a very. bad. idea. I managed it, though I got nicely filthy. Smile

I generally took my time on the way out, stopping to take photos. The way back was more direct and focused, and a little less fun, but I tried to make up for it by giving a big smile to oncoming runners and hikers rather than my usual stoic smirk. That was nice.

I did have a problem keeping my HR down on the return trip, which is probably a combination of fatigue and the rapid temperature swing. When I got to the restroom at the trailhead, I doused my face with cold water. That felt great.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for the whole run: 139

Here's the map and elevation chart. Take the numbers with a grain of salt.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 Screen15

I'll post some photos later.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Photos!

What Comes Next  - Page 17 17960210

Here's a particularly rocky bit. It's not so tough on the way out, but it's trickier after 19 miles.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 16183610

Farther up the first big climb. The hillsides look amazingly different when the trees leaf out later in the spring.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 15348010

Trillium flowers were blooming all over the place, which was quite pretty.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 16582110

Something impressive even for a Pacific Northwest native: Ferns growing on trees. And no, that wasn't the north side of the tree. It was the SOUTH side.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 16582111

Me while there was still a chill in the air. The jacket got stashed a bit farther up the trail, long before the temperature completed its 30-degree swing. I was slightly less photogenic four hours later. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Beautiful trail; ugly elevation chart. Your training is solid as usual.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:Beautiful trail; ugly elevation chart. Your training is solid as usual.

Thanks, Dave! Unfortunately, those hills are the price of admission for that trail. But it is gorgeous there, and it gets me ready to explore even crazier areas, so it's all good.

Had a sick kid today, so I stayed home from work and got caught up on some home office work. It was a rest day, with a little active recovery secured as I wrangled all the garbage cans that had blown over and rolled into the street in the neighborhood. Pesky wind! I think the only time it blows is on garbage pick-up day.  Suspect 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 am

Mark B wrote:
Dave Wolfe wrote:Beautiful trail; ugly elevation chart. Your training is solid as usual.

Thanks, Dave! Unfortunately, those hills are the price of admission for that trail. But it is gorgeous there, and it gets me ready to explore even crazier areas, so it's all good.

Had a sick kid today, so I stayed home from work and got caught up on some home office work. It was a rest day, with a little active recovery secured as I wrangled all the garbage cans that had blown over and rolled into the street in the neighborhood. Pesky wind! I think the only time it blows is on garbage pick-up day.  Suspect 

Uh, that REALLY blows!   tongue
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:55 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Uh, that REALLY blows!   tongue

Ka-zinga!!  lol! 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Immediately after a downpour; damp, cool, muggy. 45 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat (tossed after 2 miles).

I lucked out on weather this morning - it'd been raining hard for an hour or two, and the system passed just as I was getting ready to head outside. The pavement was deliciously wet underfoot.

This was a pure recovery run. My legs were quite sore this morning, thanks to all those eccentric downhill contractions on Monday, so I let my legs decide how fast/slow I'd go. The first half mile was pretty uncomfortable, but I was mostly better by a mile, and there were times when it actually started to feel pretty good. I probably had time to sneak in an extra mile, but I wrapped it up at just over 3. No sense pushing it too hard and undercutting the recovery benefits.

I was slower than usual (10:46/10:23/10:21) but my heart rate was well below my target, as well, so it's all good.

Average HR for entire run: 136
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm

So, in the interest of full disclosure... there's this:

When I was getting ready for work yesterday after my barefoot run, I went to brush off what I thought was a tiny pebble that had gotten stuck onto the bottom of my bare foot. Except, unlike normal, a bit of gravel or twig didn't come off -- I felt a stabbing pain in my foot and came back with blood on my finger.

Whaa?

It took some contorting (and a magnifying glass, and a headlamp, and tweezers), but I finally figured out that I must have had a tiny bit of glass sticking in a bit of thick skin that didn't actually penetrate -- until I pushed it in with my finger. Oops. It took a while to find and extricate, with a healthy dose of muttering punctuated by the occasional "OW! SH*T! OW!!" as I accidentally pushed it in even farther before I finally found the proper angle and managed to pop it out.

The pain went away almost instantly. It bled a little bit, then closed up. Problem solved.

It turned out to be a tiny triangular shard of glass -- it looked like it *might* have come from a shattered Christmas light. I may have picked it up from my driveway while stretching after the run. It was so small that there's no way I could have seen it on the wet pavement.

So this qualifies as the second time I've hit glass while running barefoot. The first time was easy - I plucked it out before it penetrated more than a layer or two of skin - but this one was a bit more involved. Still, in 383 miles, that's not too bad.

Last edited by Mark B on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Low HR Run: 4.25 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, cool, breezy. 48 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, jacket. Fuel/fluid: Nothing during.

I'm in the middle of a big step-back week, so I kept this run short and as easy as I could.

I was surprised to see my HR fall to 47 (!) while standing outside before I started my run. Even though my legs are still feeling two hard weeks, my physiology is bouncing back nicely. I was at a sub-10 pace after I started running and through my second mile, but I had to slow in miles 3 and 4 to keep my HR in check. So maybe I'm not *completely* recovered yet. Still, my HR had fallen to 92 at the end of my cool-down, which is quite low. I've been pleased to just crack 100.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 128
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm

I always detested that the heart was the first to adapt to a new function or exercise.  Just when I feel like my legs and lungs were keeping pace with the heart, the HR drops to its new normal.  Grrr.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm

ounce wrote:I always detested that the heart was the first to adapt to a new function or exercise.  Just when I feel like my legs and lungs were keeping pace with the heart, the HR drops to its new normal.  Grrr.

Silly Ounce! Not "Grrr." It should be "WOOT!!" It means your body is making positive adaptations, and you're getting fitter and faster.  Approval 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I always detested that the heart was the first to adapt to a new function or exercise.  Just when I feel like my legs and lungs were keeping pace with the heart, the HR drops to its new normal.  Grrr.

Silly Ounce! Not "Grrr." It should be "WOOT!!" It means your body is making positive adaptations, and you're getting fitter and faster.  Approval 

Yes, but I'd want the legs and lungs to adapt at the same rate or not as slow.  The heart doesn't have to do anything but pump.  It's suspended with no weight to carry.  The heart adapts and says, "Wake me when there's some REAL excitement."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:34 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Yes, but I'd want the legs and lungs to adapt at the same rate or not as slow.  The heart doesn't have to do anything but pump.  It's suspended with no weight to carry.  The heart adapts and says, "Wake me when there's some REAL excitement."

Au contraire, mon ami!

Y'see, when your heart rate starts falling at the same effort level, it's not an indication of improved cardiac fitness or a heart bored into a coma. Oh no! It's a sign of improved mitochondrial development and capillary development in the rest of your body. Your heart rate falls because your muscles can generate more power at less effort, which reduces overall system stress as measured by that great tachometer in your chest. It's a very good thing.

Speedwork improve stroke volume and VOMax, pimping the pump, as it were. Endurance work pimps the whole ride. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Ounce -- Racing to keep up with yourself.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Low HR Run: 4.4 miles

Weather: Indoors. 70 degrees. Gear: Luna Mono sandals, shorts, T (shed). Fuel: Small snack before. Nothing during.

It's a very rainy morning, so I decided to do my run on the treadmill. I wore my Luna sandals, as I keep trying to get them shaped to my feet and my body accustomed to the almost-but-not-quite-barefoot feeling they offer. It's getting there.

The biggest problem I have with these sandals on a treadmill is walking. It's very uncomfortable between my toes -- maybe due to the pulling action of the belt? Hm. Maybe. At any rate, that discomfort doesn't occur when I'm not on the treadmill, and it goes away on the treadmill when I start running. Interesting.

I set the pace at a 10/mi after I walked and was able to make that work pretty well for a mile or so. I eased back as the run progressed. My heart rate got a bit higher than I'd prefer, but it wasn't too far out of whack. This was more about technique than anything. To that, I only caught the tip of my right sandal slightly twice, and I was able to adjust my landing to make sure my foot wasn't sliding back off the heel. Mostly.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127

Bonus: My Garmin didn't realize I was on a treadmill, so my satellite track created an interesting path.

What Comes Next  - Page 17 Screen32

Being that I was on the second floor, that zig out toward the street could have been tricky! Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Oh, come on, you didn't run. You just put your Garmin on and made a bunch of trips from the couch to the fridge for beer and snacks!  Twisted Evil 
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:34 pm

mul21 wrote:Oh, come on, you didn't run.  You just put your Garmin on and made a bunch of trips from the couch to the fridge for beer and snacks!  Twisted Evil 

And jumped to the tree in the front yard, and back... Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:12 pm

Hill Run: About 6.3 miles

Weather: Mostly sunny, cool. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, pullover. Fuel: Oatmeal and coffee before. Carried water during.

A run for Charles this morning. Since I new I was going to do a video travelogue to go along with it, I picked one of my most scenic local routes. I had lots of fun recording the video (though I need to learn to look into the lens, apparently), and the frequent stops made this run feel exceedingly easy, despite the fact that I was doing some decent climbing throughout. My legs are feeling stronger, which means my recovery week is doing its job. Woot!

I goofed at one point and forgot to restart my Garmin after recording some video, so my official distance is about a half mile short from reality. Oh well. My body knows what it did!

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 130.

I'll post the video in the special thread once it gets done rendering. In honor of Charles, it's probably a bit too long. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum