365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 10 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Walk: 2.15 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool.

Took a walk with Alita and Alec (they're off school for MLK Day), showing off a natural area that's part of my normal running route in the Salmon Creek Greenway area. We enjoyed the sun and not-too-chilly weather and explored a little. My hips are a little tight, so it was nice to get some low-intensity activity.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:43 pm

So how's the transition from barefoot to un-barefoot, if you've been doing barefoot for a while?  Is it like going from a standard to an automatic transmission?

I guess you know the Vancouver route, so is it conducive to naked feet?  Does the Vancouver RD allow nakedness of the tootsies on his course or do you have clearance under the principle of Freedom of the Press?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:06 pm

ounce wrote:So how's the transition from barefoot to un-barefoot, if you've been doing barefoot for a while?  Is it like going from a standard to an automatic transmission?

I guess you know the Vancouver route, so is it conducive to naked feet?  Does the Vancouver RD allow nakedness of the tootsies on his course or do you have clearance under the principle of Freedom of the Press?

I'm fairly familiar with the course. I think it'd be runnable sans shoes, if I was ready to make such an attempt. But I'm not, at least not yet. I think I would want to gradually build up to that, over the course of a couple of years. You can't rush such a significant change in mechanics.

Going from barefoot to my Altras isn't much of a problem. That's what I did last year. My bigger problem has been getting those testers out of my legs. Shudder. My dynamic testing at Nike last week caused a bit of tightness, too, thanks to my accidental speed session.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles, sub-freezing

Weather: Clear, cold, dry. 28 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, tights, pants, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, wool hat, heavier gloves. (strategic overdressing) Fuel: Post breakfast (yogurt/cereal and coffee)

My coldest barefoot training run ever. I'd debated going out -- it was 28 degrees -- but I talked myself into it. I strategically overdressed, leaving my bare feet just about the only uninsulated part of my body, and it worked pretty well. My toes complained about a third of a mile in, but they mellowed out once my body started shunting extra heat their direction.

One downside of running barefoot when it's cold is that its physiologically harder than at warmer temperatures. I had a devil of a time keeping my HR from spiking, even though I was going close to my normal speeds. This is one reason why I can't imagine committing to full barefoot at this time of the year. At least living in my part of the world.

Even so, the clothing approach worked. My feet stayed nice and pink and warm even after a half hour outside. Once I got back inside, I had to peel layers off quickly, though. My body was seriously warm.

The coldest actual training run (not counting dashing outside when it was sub-20, just for the hell of it) before today was 33 degrees, so this was 5 degrees colder. If nothing else, it ought to give me some confidence for expanding the acceptable range of skin-to-ground.

Average HR for entire run: 143
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Jeez, 10 pages of What Comes Next.  No telling how many pages when This Comes Next hits the blog-o-sphere.

No more fudge for breakfast?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

ounce wrote:Jeez, 10 pages of What Comes Next.  No telling how many pages when This Comes Next hits the blog-o-sphere.

No more fudge. Alas.

As for the title, you just need to stop reading it as a question and start seeing it as a statement.  Cool
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Jeez, 10 pages of What Comes Next.  No telling how many pages when This Comes Next hits the blog-o-sphere.

No more fudge. Alas.

As for the title, you just need to stop reading it as a question and start seeing it as a statement.  Cool

And it's ALL quality content, to boot!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Walk 2.2 miles

Weather: Gray. Overcast, 40 degrees.

Finally managed to squeeze in a lunchtime walk at work. I hadn't been able to get one in since Dec. 4!

I headed out on my shorter route, down to the Columbia River from the office. It was classic Pacific Northwest winter, gray and chilly, and I wished I'd had another layer. Even so, it felt good to get my legs moving, and I could tell that it had been a while. I need to make this happen more often.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Well, Mark, as I feared Vancouver is out.  I knew with my daughter's 21st Birthday on the 11th it would be tough to get out west.  We are going to Dublin and London the week before, and then my parent's want to be here for her birthday, so I doubt that I can just say cheers and head west.  Sorry about that, but I still am looking at Eugene.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, Mark, as I feared Vancouver is out.  I knew with my daughter's 21st Birthday on the 11th it would be tough to get out west.  We are going to Dublin and London the week before, and then my parent's want to be here for her birthday, so I doubt that I can just say cheers and head west.  Sorry about that, but I still am looking at Eugene.

I can see how that'd probably not go over well with the daughter and parents. No worries. There will be other races, and I can adjust my plans for this summer.

I am a wee bit jealous about the UK trip, though. What Comes Next  - Page 10 Uk10
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, Mark, as I feared Vancouver is out.  I knew with my daughter's 21st Birthday on the 11th it would be tough to get out west.  We are going to Dublin and London the week before, and then my parent's want to be here for her birthday, so I doubt that I can just say cheers and head west.  Sorry about that, but I still am looking at Eugene.

I can see how that'd probably not go over well with the daughter and parents. No worries. There will be other races, and I can adjust my plans for this summer.

I am a wee bit jealous about the UK trip, though. What Comes Next  - Page 10 Uk10

Apply as a valet for the trip.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hm. Whaddya think, Michele? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hm. Whaddya think, Michele? Wink

Yeah, Michele.  He's probably up on his watching "Downton Abbey"!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:37 pm

"Downton Abbey"? Pfft. More like "Doctor Who"

---

Low HR Run: 4.3 miles

Weather: Sunny and warming rapidly. 40-46 degrees. Gear: TOO MUCH! Altras, tights, T, pullover, jacket (shed), gloves (stowed). Fuel: cereal for breakfast. Nothing before or during run, except Endurolytes fizz in handheld.

Well, this run went poorly. I misjudged the conditions and seriously overdressed, and ended up cooking out there. That may have contributed to problems with pacing and HR, fatigue, etc. Anyway, it's done. Bleah.

One advantage to HR training: I could see things were going downhill, so I was able to see that discretion was going to be the better part of valor rather than simply trying to tough it out. Hopefully, I saved myself enough to have a better (and longer) run tomorrow.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR was... who knows?

Ah, nice to get my required crappy run out of the way. Now I can get on to better things, now that I have perspective.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Mark B wrote:"Downton Abbey"? Pfft. More like "Doctor Who"

---

Weather: Sunny and warming rapidly. 40-46 degrees. Gear: TOO MUCH! Altras, tights, T, pullover, jacket (shed), gloves (stowed). Fuel: cereal for breakfast. Nothing before or during run, except Endurolytes fizz in handheld.

Well, this run went poorly. I misjudged the conditions and seriously overdressed, and ended up cooking out there. That may have contributed to problems with pacing and HR, fatigue, etc. Anyway, it's done. Bleah.

One advantage to HR training: I could see things were going downhill, so I was able to see that discretion was going to be the better part of valor rather than simply trying to tough it out. Hopefully, I saved myself enough to have a better (and longer) run tomorrow.

Ah, nice to get my required crappy run out of the way. Now I can get on to better things, now that I have perspective.

She may not have a Doctor Who idea for a valet.  She may be more of a Downtn Abbey duchess.  Have to play that card, you know, to get employed.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:28 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:"Downton Abbey"? Pfft. More like "Doctor Who"

---

She may not have a Doctor Who idea for a valet.  She may be more of a Downtn Abbey duchess.  Have to play that card, you know, to get employed.

No matter. I do hope she posts photos, though. It should be a great trip.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Got sidelined today by some odd gut ailment. Not sick, exactly, but my GI system is definitely grumpy and my energy level is low. That's probably one reason why yesterday's run was so surprisingly unpleasant.

Not sure if it's a bug or something I ate, but I hope it goes away soon. Blech.  tongue 

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Hope you feel better. GI issues are miserable.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Julie wrote:Hope you feel better. GI issues are miserable.

Thanks, Julie. It's making me a little nuts. If I'm going to do what I'm wanting to do this summer (and it's not actually what I originally planned, btw), I need to start working on my base. Like, now. Oh well. It will pass.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Mark B wrote:

Thanks, Julie. It's making me a little nuts. If I'm going to do what I'm wanting to do this summer (and it's not actually what I originally planned, btw), I need to start working on my base. Like, now. Oh well. It will pass.
And seems to be passing faster than usual, too!   jocolor
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

And seems to be passing faster than usual, too!   jocolor

Well, maybe. Not sure if I'm going to be up for a run tomorrow. Neutral 

Bah. This not-sick-but-not-exactly-well-either existence is for the birds.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Low HR Run: 10.26 miles

Weather: Overcast, chilly. 32-38 degrees, breezy. Gear: Altras, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (off and on). Fuel: Yogurt/cereal for breakfast, with coffee. Nothing else before. Only GU Brew (10 cal) during.

My first double-digit run since last August, which kind of amazes me. Where'd the time go?

Anyway, since it had been a while, I knew I had to take it very easy today and focus on a good, sustainable effort.

Aside: I think "sustainable" might end up being my watchword for this year. It was great that I was able to train for an run a 50-miler last year, and I know I could do it again, but if that race really put me out of commission for that many months afterward (which I'm starting to suspect), then I want to find something that puts a *little* less stress on my body this year -- especially since I want to do two 50Ks this summer and fall and still be able to do Goofy (or Dopey, or whatever we're going to do) at WDW next January. I can't afford to do something that puts so much strain on my system that I'd need an extended recovery period.

Back to today. It was gray and chilly, with enough of a breeze to give it a little edge. Not frigid by any means, but not particularly comfortable either. I went to the Salmon Creek Greenway and ran my standard 10-mile route. The first couple of miles felt pretty light and easy, but I slowed progressively and had to walk a couple of times when my HR climbed too high. My climb back out of the greenway was predictably slow, though I didn't have to walk, and I wasn't overly fatigued when I finished. Mission accomplished.

I'm hoping this is the effective start of my build-up for June. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. I'm feeling better now, and I'm pretty sure I did have a little bug last week - because Alita is now suffering the same sort of symptoms. Poor thing.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 135
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 pm

And, in the continued effort to get back to steady activity/progress...

Walk: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool and breezy. 44 degrees

Made it out for a lunchtime walk at work, to Oregon and back over the Columbia River. Rain is supposed to move in later today, so it was a good time to take advantage of the last dry afternoon for a few days.

It was good to get out. I'm not feeling any problems after yesterday's 10-miler, which is encouraging. It bodes well for picking things up a bit. Funny note: With my run yesterday and walk today, I've already surpassed all of my activity last week. Sheesh.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Sandals Test Run: 2 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, muggy. 46 degrees Gear: Luna sandals, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (waaay overdressed, and did a strip tease as I ran). Fuel: Post-breakfast

I got my Luna sandals back after having the lacing system re-rigged, so I wanted to see if they were easier to run in than the previous iteration. These laces don't stretch, so it should help my feet not slide all over the place.

What Comes Next  - Page 10 15241410

I did neighborhood laps, and didn't notice that it was a lot warmer than I thought. I dressed warm (a barefoot trick) but I discovered that it was way too warm. Yipes.

Running in the sandals was odd. It actually forced me to run more forefoot than even when I run barefoot. They make a horrible slapping noise when I landed wrong, so I did all I could to run as quietly as possible. Funny to get auditory feedback. I couldn't feel much of the ground under my feet, and it wasn't nearly as fun as barefooting. The perceived effort was higher. But that might just be because I'm learning this. This might actually help with form, but I think I need to approach it gradually.

After my HR started to drift up and I dragged the tip of the sandal on the pavement, I cut it off after two miles. That's enough for today.

Average HR for entire run: 140.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Just when I thought you couldn't get any crazier!! I remember seeing someone running in sandals when I ran my first marathon up in Minneapolis in 2009. I don't think that I could do it...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum