365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 9 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Somehow I forgot to mention that the Luna sandals thing was/is cool - and since it happened on my birthday, that is even cooler.

Oh, absolutely! Smile

BTW, it's pretty cool to see this in your email inbox...

What Comes Next  - Page 9 Screen23

They delivered my Catamounts to LUNA World HQ on Friday, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of that. I'm expecting the test material to show up in a week, or more, and that'll be cool, too.

---

I decided last night that I'd not get up at the crack of dawn to run. My buddy's on holiday, and I was sleep-deprived after last week. I had night shifts all last week, which got me to sleep after midnight, less than six hours before I had to get up to get everybody off to school in the morning. I can do a couple of sub-6 nights a week without a problem, but the fatigue accumulates pretty quickly after that. (Yawn!)

If the weather permits, maybe we'll all go for a walk today. Then I'll do a run tomorrow when they're all off at school and I'm off from work. (And I'll be back to my regular schedule of two days and three nights! Woot! Can't believe I'd cheer that, but at least my body's used to it.)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Barefoot Run: 6 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy (between showers), mild, a little breezy. 49 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket (stowed after 1.5 miles). Fuel: Grape Nuts for breakfast. Nuun in handheld during run.

I dithered for a while this morning deciding whether to run barefoot, or to run longer in shoes. It should come as a surprise to no one that I ended up choosing a third option - running longer barefoot. Smile

I took it out of the safe confines of my neighborhood, where I could easily cut the run short if something went awry, and tested out a new route made possible by some road improvements over the summer. It created a nice 4.25-mile loop mostly on concrete sidewalks. The concrete felt too easy after a while, so I switched to the road from time to time for some extra stimulus. Then I hit a few sections of permeable concrete and got a nice new and fairly intense sensory boost out of that.

I aimed for a low heart rate but didn't always accomplish it. Still, it was pretty good.

Once I wrapped up the 4.25 miles, I decided to keep going in the neighborhood and round it up to 5 miles. After 5, I still felt good, so I added on another mile to make it six. That's nearly double what I have been doing, with no ill effect. Well, the soles of my feet are tingling, but that's to be expected.

What Comes Next  - Page 9 15010310

I also solved one nuisance about barefoot running - grubby feet - when I realized that I could easily wash off my feet in the tub sink in the garage next to the back door. Sweet!

Average HR for entire run: 141 (No walking warm up or cool down; I just started slow.)

Postscript: I checked my running logs and was surprised to find out that this morning's run was the farthest I've got barefoot since I did 10 miles in September 2012! I've done a bunch of three-mile runs, but I hand't stretched them out much since that summer of barefoot bliss. Might have to rectify that situation this year. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Here's some more sensory stimulation for you.
What Comes Next  - Page 9 Th?id=H.4998217846358784&w=243&h=170&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2fyaymicro.com%2fstock-image%2fbed-of-nails%2f793069&pid=1

Chop chop, newsie.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm

ounce wrote:Here's some more sensory stimulation for you.
What Comes Next  - Page 9 Th?id=H.4998217846358784&w=243&h=170&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2fyaymicro.com%2fstock-image%2fbed-of-nails%2f793069&pid=1

Chop chop, newsie.

Piece of cake.

Or was that shish kebab? Hm...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Here's some more sensory stimulation for you.

Chop chop, newsie.

Piece of cake.

Or was that shish kebab? Hm...
Aeration.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Low clouds, a bit chilly and damp. 37 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: After breakfast. Nothing during

My body has really felt the 6-mile barefoot run I did on Monday. That, coupled with a crazy day at work yesterday, had me twitchy and overstimulated. My HR was about 20 bpm higher this morning pre-run than it was on Monday. Not generally a good sign.

Still, I felt like I needed some activity, so I went out barefoot with the understanding that I could cut it off at any point if hte soles of my feet, kinetic chain or brain said enough was enough. As it worked out, after I warmed up, the run was fine and I did my standard 5-kilometer (3.1 mile) run - which is what nine laps around the block works out to.

The temperature has been falling this morning but I didn't dress as heavily as I have. Running barefoot at 37 was a little uncomfortable at first, but my toes did warm up after a lap or so. Nice not have to wear tights.

I thought of this as a recovery run, and I tried to keep the HR at least at my proper target.

Avearge HR for entire run: 137
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

So your heart rate has been reading too much of the TAPER MADNESS!!!! thread?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 pm

ounce wrote:So your heart rate has been reading too much of the TAPER MADNESS!!!! thread?

Um... sure. Let's say that.

I do have to be careful, because I've noticed that the physiological stresses of extending barefoot runs (or reading TAPER MADNESS!!!! threads) is really quite noticeable. That makes sense, I suppose. I'm essentially rewiring my body. You rush the process at your peril.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:So your heart rate has been reading too much of the TAPER MADNESS!!!! thread?

I do have to be careful, because I've noticed that the physiological stresses of extending barefoot runs (or reading TAPER MADNESS!!!! threads) is really quite noticeable. That makes sense, I suppose. I'm essentially rewiring my body. You rush the process at your peril.

There's only so much prosperity that your body can handle.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:11 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I suppose so. It makes me wonder how many injuries could be prevented if people did all their runs barefoot. The body's signals are so much more obvious when your systems aren't all numbed up from cushioned footwear. It's much more difficult to push on and ignore the signals your body is giving you.

If you can't run a distance barefoot, maybe you shouldn't run that distance at all?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

If you can't get across town for groceries on foot, maybe you don't really need to eat.

mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I suppose so. It makes me wonder how many injuries could be prevented if people did all their runs barefoot. The body's signals are so much more obvious when your systems aren't all numbed up from cushioned footwear. It's much more difficult to push on and ignore the signals your body is giving you.

If you can't run a distance barefoot, maybe you shouldn't run that distance at all?

mul21 wrote:If you can't get across town for groceries on foot, maybe you don't really need to eat.

I'm the one that's supposed to be under TAPER MADNESS!!!!, not y'all.  Y'all must have the TAPER MADNESS!!!! flu.  Y'all need a race.  I'll be over my TAPER MADNESS!!!! on Sunday.

After all, if we were SUPPOSED to run with shoes on, we would've been BORN with them!  So, THERE!! tongue
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

mul21 wrote:If you can't get across town for groceries on foot, maybe you don't really need to eat.

And if you have to go all the way across town just to get food, maybe there's something to be said for the locavore movement...

Could you imagine how much better it'd be if we all had food within easy walking distance? Many public health problems challenging our country would be less vexing if we had walkable communities (barefoot or not).

Okay, getting off my soapbox now.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:22 pm

ounce wrote:I'm the one that's supposed to be under TAPER MADNESS!!!!, not y'all.  Y'all must have the TAPER MADNESS!!!! flu.  Y'all need a race.  I'll be over my TAPER MADNESS!!!! on Sunday.

After all, if we were SUPPOSED to run with shoes on, we would've been BORN with them!  So, THERE!! tongue

Oh, Ounce. You're got to be faking it. It's not physically possible for somebody to be as jacked up as you appear to be lately.

I mean, if it WERE true, we'd have a case of spontaneous human combustion on the day before race day.  Flame
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I'm the one that's supposed to be under TAPER MADNESS!!!!, not y'all.  Y'all must have the TAPER MADNESS!!!! flu.  Y'all need a race.  I'll be over my TAPER MADNESS!!!! on Sunday.

Oh, Ounce. You're got to be faking it. It's not physically possible for somebody to be as jacked up as you appear to be lately.

I mean, if it WERE true, we'd have a case of spontaneous human combustion on the day before race day.  Flame
I was told to do the taper madness bit, so I'm doing my best.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

You're doing very well, indeed! Just don't sprain a finger on the keyboard and have a hard time opening Gu (or pork rinds, or whatever else you're consuming out there on the course).
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

You're doing very well, indeed! Just don't sprain a finger on the keyboard and have a hard time opening Gu (or pork rinds, or whatever else you're consuming out there on the course).
Thanks.  Bacon was the only thing I ever ate on a run.  It didn't help or hurt.  Really neutral, but the flavor was great!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Thanks.  Bacon was the only thing I ever ate on a run.  It didn't help or hurt.  Really neutral, but the flavor was great!

Well, yeah....  pig 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Dynamic Testing: 1.83 miles @ 8:17/mi average pace

Weather: Foggy and cold. About 31 degrees. Gear: Prototypes, shorts, long-sleeved T, wool pullover. Fuel: After breakfast.

Over to Nike for some perception testing on some prototypes they're fooling around with. It was the usual drill, trying out different shoes with *slightly* different characteristics and telling the analyst how each one felt. It's amazing how big a difference a small change can make, and it's the testers' job to help them decide which changes work best.

I ran outside on the campus, and it was very foggy and much colder than I'd expected. I didn't have my Garmin on, so I timed the repeats and then figured out the distance when I got home. When I saw what the pace worked out to, I was very surprised: It felt like I was running fairly easily, but I was averaging an 8:17 pace! Whaa?

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:06 am

Well, speaking of marathons...

Oh, I wasn't? Well, I've been thinking about 'em. More exactly, getting ready for one.

I've got about 21 weeks before the Vancouver USA Marathon (hope Michele can make it), and while I'm playing around doing as many barefoot runs as I can, I'm also wondering how to approach getting ready for the race.

Yeah. A training plan. But what type? I am toying with the idea of seeing how much I can do barefoot, so maybe a lower-level plan would be right, without too many 20-milers. Maybe. Maybe not.

Or... I could keep barefooting as a once- or twice-weekly supplement to my other training, and do a little more.

But if I do a little more, I will be tempted to do ... well ... even more. On this path lies madness.

Luckily, I have some time to think it over. And take suggestions.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:21 pm

MAF Test: 6.24 miles total

Weather: Partly cloudy, cold. 33 degrees, a slight breeze. Gear: Altras, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (shed). Fuel Oatmeal and coffee. Endurolytes Fizz in handheld.

Out to the track for a MAF test. My training has been a bit sporadic and erratic over the past few weeks, but I'm getting close to needing to get going to get ready for June. So I thought this would be a good day to establish a baseline.

I toyed with the idea of doing this barefoot, but opted for my Altras instead. As much as I'd like to go totally naked feet, I don't think I have time to do that safely and still hit my goals for this year. So I'm going to do what worked for me last year, mixing a little barefoot with mostly zero-drop running.

As a baseline test, my run was pretty encouraging. My heart rate was in the 139-140 range for the test, which wasn't bad. I'm about a minute slower per mile than I was at my peak last year, but my times are already starting to improve from November. That was nice to see.

The chart:

What Comes Next  - Page 9 Screen24

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 pm

I hope you figure out the most suitable training program. I really liked Pfitzinger's 18/55 but no idea how that works with barefooting and all your other goals.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 am

Julie wrote:I hope you figure out the most suitable training program. I really liked Pfitzinger's 18/55 but no idea how that works with barefooting and all your other goals.

Hey, Julie! Thanks on the good wishes. I'm sure I'll come up with something that'll work for the June marathon. I'm not shooting for a PR, so I don't know if I need the targeted intensity of Pfitzinger's plans. I'm thinking of following a similar approach to how I got ready for Mount Hood last year, with maybe a bit of uptempo work - or at least marathon pace work - after I've rebuilt my base.

As for barefoot, I'll probably do one shortish barefoot run a week, unless I can figure out how to work in two. It's good for my form.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 am

Have fun with your Vancouver training. If a plan was successful in the past go for it again. You can always tweak it along the way.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Have fun with your Vancouver training. If a plan was successful in the past go for it again. You can always tweak it along the way.

Hi, Alex! Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you. I also need to remember that the June marathon is the first in a series of races I'm planning to run. It'll be followed by a 50K in October and then, of course, the Goofy Challenge in January. Not much wiggle room to go all A-type personality and blow myself up in the process.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum