365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned

+23
Jerry
Chris M
Schuey
Matt W
JohnP
dot520
Chris Coleman
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
amyjoann
fostever
Nick Morris
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Julie
nkrichards
Seth Harrison
Paula Sue
jon c
T Miller
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned Empty Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 am

Goal: 3:25 BQ PR

Result: 3:18:33

Reaction: Hell Yeah!!

Honestly I'm still stunned. After making two stupid mistakes last year that caused two failed attempts I toed the line at Glass City. This is a tale of two races. Miles 1 - 21, and then 21 - finish when something happened I still can't fully comprehend.

Miles 1 - 21: It was a steady drizzle to rain the whole way which kept temps down. Great course with the most aid stations I've seen in a marathon. Got started and it was a little congested with the Half going off as well. We ran the first 8 together. I was feeling pretty good keeping it in the 7:40 - 7:45 pace range. Came through the Half around 1:41 and change. By 16 I was working pretty hard keeping it at 7:40 and just hoping I wouldn't bleed too much the last few miles. I knew my fantasy goal of 3:20 was out as I was working too hard but hoped my overall goal of BQ 3:25 was still in play if I didn't bleed too much. Then I hit the 21M mark and everything changed.

Mile 21 - finish: Feel free to laugh as this will sound totally ridiculous and silly. Something happened to me at this point. All of a sudden it was like the mind, body, and spirit all synched up together in perfect harmony and I just took off running completely outside myself. I have no real memories of those last 5 other than feeling stronger and stronger and probably having a crazed look on my face. I didn't run conservatively prior and I was consistantly fueling along the way. The first 21 I average 7:42, the last 5.2 I averaged 7:05. It was like perfect running for me. I crossed the line and was in shock as I had stopped looking at my watch. After I crosssed the line people must have thought I was nuts as it took me a minute or so to come down from the state I was in with whatever crazed look I had. All I know is I made not only a BQ but BQ-5 and that should be enough to get me there next year.

Later on I was a physical wreck. Even now I still feel totally beat up. I'm taking a good recovery before thinking about JFK in the fall.

A big thanks to everyone in here. This never happens without all the advice and such from people here. This was a fantasy time that I never thought possible.

Thanks for reading.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned Empty Re: Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned

Post  Michael Enright Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am

Hey, I want a little of whatever that was you had going on late in the race!! Smile

Congrats again. I'm certainly not laughing, except maybe with a little shared glee after all your struggles last year. Well-deserved.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned Empty Re: Glass City Marathon Report - Stunned

Post  T Miller Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 am

Wow, that's awesome. We rarely get to read about the tale of two races that turns out so positive. I don't know what overcame you but I want some of that in my next race. Congratulations on your BQ and I guess we'll be seeing you at JFK and in Boston. Woo Hoo
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

Congratulations, Alex! Things finally fell together for you and then some.... I am very happy for you!

If anything, this might begin to show you what you could be capable of.

All the training and time spent does eventually pay off. Not sure how long your journey has been to BQ, but it took me nearly four years to get my first BQ. Hopefully your story will inspire others to continue to perservere towards whatever goals they might have, running or otherwise.

Again, congrats to you on a hard earned and well deserved reward.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

Great to read about your race and especially the last 5.2 miles. It is such an accomplishment, especially when something unexplainable just takes over and carries you through. Way to freaking go!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am

Hell yeah is right Alex! I'd love to know what it feels like to feel so good at mile 21. You obviously trained right.
Congratulations on a sensational PR and of course the BQ.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 am

Impressive...I'm going to have go take a long look at your blog and see how you trained!

Any specific things that you did differently this cycle?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Hey, I want a little of whatever that was you had going on late in the race!! Smile

Thanks Michael. I wish I knew where it came from.

T Miller wrote:Wow, that's awesome. We rarely get to read about the tale of two races that turns out so positive. I don't know what overcame you but I want some of that in my next race. Congratulations on your BQ and I guess we'll be seeing you at JFK and in Boston. Woo Hoo

Thanks Tim. Some day maybe I'll figure it out.

jon c wrote:Congratulations, Alex! Things finally fell together for you and then some.... I am very happy for you!

Again, congrats to you on a hard earned and well deserved reward.

Thanks Jon. Hope to see you in Boston.

Paula Sue wrote:Great to read about your race and especially the last 5.2 miles. It is such an accomplishment, especially when something unexplainable just takes over and carries you through. Way to freaking go!

Thanks Paula Sue. You should run it again on the new course.

Seth Harrison wrote:Hell yeah is right Alex! I'd love to know what it feels like to feel so good at mile 21. You obviously trained right.
Congratulations on a sensational PR and of course the BQ.

Thanks Seth. I'd like to bottle it up because that may never happen again.

nkrichards wrote:Impressive...I'm going to have go take a long look at your blog and see how you trained!

Any specific things that you did differently this cycle?

Thanks. What I did differently was first, I ran at more different speeds. I pretty much used to just do tempo pace and long run/GA pace. I mixed it up greatly with speeds from 3K up to recovery. I also used to do an all out Half one month out which I think took some of the starch out came Marathon day. This time I didn't. Everything just came together.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Wow! Great race and many congratulations!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Wow! What an absolutely fantastic race for you, Alex! Congratulations!

I, for one, am dying to see you post up some race photos from those last few miles. That crazed (and fast) look has got to be something to see. Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Congratulations again, Alex! Fantastic job! My friend, Bill, described his race in the very same way, so maybe there was something magic pixie dust in those water cups for those of you who were gunning for the 3:25 and blew it away! You deserved this Alex after all the hard work that you put in over the last few training cycles! No matter what, when it comes together, it all comes together - fantastic.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Woot! Awesome race and many congrats!!!!! cheers
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm

What a great race...Congratulations on the zen running moment!!! Let it all soak in and enjoy the recovery.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 am

So you did an anti-fade, WOW!! Huge! I've never finished that strong, always at least a mini-fade even in my PR races! I'm so excited for you, Alex! Hope to see you in Boston!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Thats so awesome! You felt it, and went for it, and just got stronger and stronger feeding on that.I wonder how many bewildered runners you picked off . One day I hope I experience that in a race Very Happy
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Julie wrote:Wow! Great race and many congratulations!!

Thanks Julie. It was fun.

Mark B wrote:Wow! What an absolutely fantastic race for you, Alex! Congratulations!

I, for one, am dying to see you post up some race photos from those last few miles. That crazed (and fast) look has got to be something to see. Very Happy

Thanks Mark. I got the pictures and I'll have to post a couple. Comical face.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Congratulations again, Alex! Fantastic job! My friend, Bill, described his race in the very same way, so maybe there was something magic pixie dust in those water cups for those of you who were gunning for the 3:25 and blew it away! You deserved this Alex after all the hard work that you put in over the last few training cycles! No matter what, when it comes together, it all comes together - fantastic.

Thanks again Michele. Such a great day.

carleenp wrote:Woot! Awesome race and many congrats!!!!! cheers

Thanks Carleen. Still can't believe we were on the same bus last year and didn't know it.

Nick Morris wrote:What a great race...Congratulations on the zen running moment!!! Let it all soak in and enjoy the recovery.

Thanks Nick. We both just missed last year by painful seconds. So you've got this now.

fostever wrote:So you did an anti-fade, WOW!! Huge! I've never finished that strong, always at least a mini-fade even in my PR races! I'm so excited for you, Alex! Hope to see you in Boston!

Thanks Steve, I still don't fully understand where the heck that finish came from but it was awesome.

amyjoann wrote:Thats so awesome! You felt it, and went for it, and just got stronger and stronger feeding on that.I wonder how many bewildered runners you picked off . One day I hope I experience that in a race Very Happy

Thank you. I'll be shocked if I experience that in a race again. But I'll always strive to duplicate it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Wow! Great job on the race Alex!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Kick A$$ Alex!!! That is such an awesome experience - you have worked so hard that it is really inspirational to see that result for you. Great job buddy!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 pm

This is amazing. It's the sort of thing we all dream about, but there can't be many people who actually manage to pull off a finish like that. Well done indeed!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm

This is so fantastic for you personally, but just plain awesome to get such a kick at mile 21. No one gets a kick at mile 21! Do you think it was the infamous 'runners high'?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Alex, I was really happy for you after reading your report. Those races are really few and far between. I'm glad it went so well and that should get you into Boston. Congratulations.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 am

Jim Lentz wrote:Wow! Great job on the race Alex!

Thanks Jim.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Kick A$$ Alex!!! That is such an awesome experience - you have worked so hard that it is really inspirational to see that result for you. Great job buddy!!!!!

Thanks John. It was an awesome experience.

Chris Coleman wrote:This is amazing. It's the sort of thing we all dream about, but there can't be many people who actually manage to pull off a finish like that. Well done indeed!

Thanks Chris. I'm still trying to figure it out. Maybe it can't be explained.

dot520 wrote:This is so fantastic for you personally, but just plain awesome to get such a kick at mile 21. No one gets a kick at mile 21! Do you think it was the infamous 'runners high'?

Thanks Dot. As I said to Chris above I just can't figure it out right now.

JohnP wrote:Alex, I was really happy for you after reading your report. Those races are really few and far between. I'm glad it went so well and that should get you into Boston. Congratulations.

Thanks John. They are few and if I don't get that again I'll still be happy I nailed it once.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Great job in cranking out an amazing finish. It's great when everything clicks and you are running better than you thought you could run. Recover well and get back to doing whatever you did to give you that kind of success.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Alex hell yeah doesn't even describe it! Great job on running a wonderful race! The reward for if? Huge PR and a trip to Boston next spring! You came out and were a "gamer" and showed amazing "grit"!' I couldn't be happier for you!

This quote of your report stood out the most to me "mind, body and spirit all synched in perfect harmony!"

That my friend is what it is all about, there is no better feeling in the world when that right there happens in a race! I know that feeling and once you have a taste of it you only want it more and more. Truth be told I believe that happen because of one result you were ready and you excepted the moment. Personally I believe great moments happen when we let go and don't get in the way of ourselves!

Again fantastic race and look forward to meeting you on that little town called Boonesboro.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 am

Wish we could bottle what you experienced in the final 10k of a marathon. Stuff like that would sell for a gazillion dollars! Great job and fantastic result!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next