365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Marathon report

+6
Kenny B.
fostever
Michael Enright
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
10 posters

Go down

Veterans Marathon report Empty Veterans Marathon report

Post  Julie Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

The Veterans Marathon in Columbia City, IN was a well organized, nice small town marathon. I enjoyed the scenery, a lot of the area looked very similar to where I grew up in northeast Nebraska. It was windy, about 18 mph headwind miles 14-18 and then some others too. The temperature was really good, I think 46 at the start and maybe 60 at the finish.

I didn’t really have a time goal although I wanted to pace myself and not start out too fast of course. I thought 4:45 would be a pretty reasonable finish time given how out of condition I’ve gotten in the last year and the fact that it’s been a year since I’ve done any speed work. I probably would have met that time if I hadn’t had all the GI problems I did. I had problems all week long and ended up with 5 porta pot stops!! Yeah that wasn’t very fun.

I saw my husband and daughter 4 times during the race as well as at the finish. There were plenty of aid station, I actually think I fueled really well during the race and for once didn’t battle nausea at the end. The last mile I had problems with my heart feeling like it was just racing again. I kept telling myself to calm down because I think I was tired but also getting emotional. An older gentleman said he was proud of me about a block from the finish and I almost cried.

Anyway, sorry this isn't a very exciting race report. I really think I need to put my 50 states goal on hold or just stick to trips with my running group because my daughter (3 yrs) was so miserable on the car ride. I also want to hold off running another marathon till I can get back into the 4:15 range because while I have had some very serious medical/physical problems in the last year, it's still frustrating to be running this slowly. I want to take some time to really solidly get my base and then get back into speed work. That can be tricky in the winter with ice and snow but if necessary I'll just hold off till fall before I run another marathon. I looked at my watch at mile 22 and I was at 4:07 which was just 4 minutes before I finished Lincoln marathon May 2011 and I finished this race in 4:52.

here are my splits.

1 10:14
2 10:58
3 10:08
4 10:41
5 12:06
6 10:38
7 10:13
8 10:08
9 13:00
10 10:23
11 10:39
12 10:25
13 13:02
14 10:07
15 10:57
16 11:02
17 11:34
18 12:42
19 11:06
20 11:47
21 12:51
22 11:20
23 10:54
24 10:48
25 10:47
26 11:24
.2 2:31 or less, because of how long it took me to hit my watch.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Veterans Marathon report Empty Re: Veterans Marathon report

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Congratulations on the race and getting Indiana off the list! Sorry about the potty stops - that just isn't fun, but you toughed it out and that is important. The 50 state thing is hard - I placed my chase on hold as my daughter entered high school, not because she couldn't travel, but more because I needed to spend the time at home with her and her events. honestly, I'm not sure how folks get it done when they have kids and family still at home. Maybe that is why most of the Maniacs that I meet are either very young or older than me.

Good decision to take a rest and re-group. I took a 13 yr hiatus once between marathons years ago, but never stopped running. I just focused on other things like half marathons and 10Ks and simply staying in shape to be that good role model for my daughter. Just keep us posted and don't be a stranger. One of these days I do need to come to Nebraska (a state that I have never visited) to run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks for the report, Julie, and congratulations on another marathon and state. It was so windy here today, I can't even imagine running into it, it really takes a lot out of us. Sounds like a tough time and I hope you get better, and also figure out the speed work issue soon. As Michele said, don't be a stranger here even if you don't do a marathon for a bit. Congrats on another one!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks Michele for sharing your personal experience. I always appreciate your advice. I have other friends who have taken longer breaks when their child(ren) were younger and make good comebacks. It's just hard for me to remember that when I'm the only one in the running group with a preschooler. My friend who is 73, retired, and just finished his 50 states for the 3rd time definitely has time and freedom that I don't have right now. I know there are some marathons I'd like to take my daughter to, too, like the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon once she learns about the Civil War but that won't be for a few more years.

Thanks John, the winds did make it difficult, especially with the hills. It was a very hilly course although most of them were not very steep but long. It did make for a nice tail wind a few of the last miles, though and that was nice. I'll still visit here, of course, and maybe find a smaller or faster goal for next year.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

Congratulations on finishing another one. Whatever your hopes and aspirations are about paces, times, etc., it is an accomplishment to be able to finish one, and especially in a decent time range, even if it is not what you would like for a time.

You have a lot of responsibilities to juggle, and you should be proud that you've got your priorities straight! Just keep going - whatever you accomplish will be worth your while.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Hey! you finished, congrats! Not bad considering all the obstacles you've endured leading up, way to go, Julie.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 am

Great job getting it done out there. Seems you have a plan on your future races etc. Take it easy and regroup.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Michael, Steven and Kenny. I'll keep thinking and work on speed before my next race, for sure.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Finishing a marathan anytime is a victory. Congrats on getting it done. Hopefully the next one will go a little smoother.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Congratulations, Julie! You did a great job on the 5 porta john stops. You didn't lose much time according to what appears to be the stops via your time log. Time to regroup! It can do wonders for you.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Congratulation Julie to get another one done!

5 stops? Heehee, one short of Jerry's record.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Congratulations on finishing another one. The wind that you had to run through does not sound fun. I hope your knees are doing better.

I highly recommend P90x for winter time x training. It's nice break to switch up your focus for a few months. It transformed me from a 3:20 marathoner to a sub 3. All you have to do is push play and follow the DVD in the comfort of your own home. Do your best and forget the rest Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks Alex, Dot, Jerry and Tim.

Tim I have the 30 day shred dvd I should probably get back into. I definitely need some good cross training to get me through the winter. I borrowed P90X from a friend 3 yrs ago but don't have it anymore. My knees did hurt 2 days ago so I've taken the last 2 days off and hope they feel OK for tomorrow. Trying to take it easy the next couple of weeks, at least.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down