365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York City Marathon -- the easy way

+17
Dave Wolfe
Diego
Matt W
nkrichards
Vivian
Sara Jane
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
ounce
Jim Lentz
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Randy E
Chris M
John Kilpatrick
KBFitz
21 posters

Go down

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Empty New York City Marathon -- the easy way

Post  KBFitz Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Sunday dawned cool and crisp in New York City [50°F] and remained that way all day [rising to 55°F]. The 47,000+ who ran the New York City marathon had ideal running conditions while the ~2 million+ spectators were able to warm up quickly in the direct sun.

I ran my first NYC marathon in 2005. I was a younger man then (really, ...I was), running only one marathon a year for health and fun. I crossed the finish line in that, my fifth marathon, with a PR of 3:53:23. Since then, I've been training more seriously and am now in much better shape. But I've had to step back several times in this training cycle. As such, my aerobic conditioning was not up to snuff for a PR attempt (sub 3:12). So I aimed to: 1.) run easy for the first 20 miles -- no faster than 7:40/mile -- and try to hold that pace over the last 10K; 2.) finish fully 30 minutes ahead of my younger self -- 3:23:23 or better in my 19th marathon and 3.) not push the pace at any time, so that I may quickly return to a full training load.

• Goal 1.) FAIL -- I ran easy for sure, but I was faster than 7:40 pace in 13 of the first 20 miles.
  • Goal 2.) FAIL -- I finished in 3:23:33, missing my goal by ten seconds.
  • Goal 3.) SUCCESS -- I did not push the pace, so I'm still fresh.
New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm2010
All in all, I'm pleased. This race does not disappoint. NYRR puts on a first class event showcasing the best of Gotham. From the Staten Island Ferry, we were treated to Lady Liberty draped in the first golden rays of dawn. The runner's villages had ample everything. Of course, you had to get there early. I was able to sit with M i c h e l e for a few minutes and Sara Jane put in a cameo appearance before we made our ways out to the bridge. Running on the lower level of the bridge wasn't so bad -- it was shaded the whole way and I was able to get out before any pee came trickling down from above. Brooklyn was one big block party with music from the four corners reflecting the diversity of this borough. Williamsburg and Queens continued the amazing variety. I was particularly impressed by several bands of Hasidim playing hard rock and metal. Over the Queensboro Bridge and onto 1st Avenue, I kept my emotions in check by focusing narrowly ahead. This isn't easy. The emotional lift from the crowds here can exceed those of Wellesley, Boston College and Boylston in Boston.

But soon over the Willis Avenue Bridge at Mile 20 and into the Bronx, I began to bleed time. Despite the fact that I had hydrated and fueled perfectly AND had run easy, I began to feel the precursors of fatigue. Right there, in the Bronx, I learned a valuable lesson. Twenty miles is twenty miles, even if you run it easy. Actual fatigue did not manifest, just the precursors. Even so, to maintain pace I would have had to push. And I was dead set against that. So I simply kept the same easy effort and allowed myself to bleed time around Marcus Garvey Park, up into Central Park, around Columbus Circle and up to the finish. It was refreshing to finish unspent and smiling. I rather enjoyed it!

Positively chipper, I made my way through the throng clad in their capes-of-awesomeness, collected my stuff and made a bee-line to Columbus. By 3:00pm I had showered at the West-Side Y and made my way to Hibernia (the Irish pub and Steelers bar that Sara Jane suggested). I got a head start on the post-race celebration and never looked back. Two hours later and two blocks away a few of us who had run were joined by Kenny and his wife to quaff a few more pints (Sara posted a pic). No one wore a tux. We did not meet the candidate. But we had fun nonetheless.

Bonus prize: I beat Apolo Anton Ohno -- I trust that's the last time that will happen.

Special thanks to all of you who tracked us in the NYC Tracking thread. Cheers!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Empty Re: New York City Marathon -- the easy way

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't think you can call #2 a fail! That was fun reading your posting and glad you had a positive experience. It really looks like that would be a great marathon to run someday and a great way to approach it. Nice run!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Empty Re: New York City Marathon -- the easy way

Post  Chris M Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Uh, is that a 6:40-something 2nd mile? Patience is a virute in the marathon, buddy! Show some restraint! But all in all a very nice run, especially given that you didn't push it. Yours is another report that describes the NY experience so well (emotional lift exceeding Wellesley and BC?!?!) that I definitely feel I need to do this marathon soon. Sounds like a fun day and I'd say you are not very far at all from getting into real PR shape.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Chris M wrote:Uh, is that a 6:40-something 2nd mile? Patience is a virtue ...
Mile 1 - 7:41 This is my warmup.
Mile 2 - 6:37 Eased off in mile 2.
Mile 3 - 7:24 Easy peasy.

Patience is indeed a virtue. Gotta git me summa dat.
New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycmel10
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:56 am

Great seeing you at The House of Brews. Nice race and congrats! Enjoyed reading your report as well.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 am

So even a marathon veteran like you can make a rookie mistake and go out too fast! All in all, a fine day for you though Kevin, and equally fine report. I love the heavy metal Hasidim! Your appreciation for this race is apparent. I also agree with you, that moment when you step off the bridge and make the turn on to 1st Ave. is about as exciting as it gets.
I appreciated your call, and I'm really sorry I couldn't meet you guys for that post-race beer. No doubt I would have had a better time than at that stuffy black tie thing.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 am

KBFitz wrote:
Chris M wrote:Uh, is that a 6:40-something 2nd mile? Patience is a virtue ...
Mile 1 - 7:41 This is my warmup.
Mile 2 - 6:37 Eased off in mile 2.
Mile 3 - 7:24 Easy peasy.

Patience is indeed a virtue. Gotta git me summa dat.
New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycmel10

Made me laugh out loud....7:40 is goal pace......so, execute a slow start strategy? Ha! After only 3 miles, you've banked 78 seconds under that. Reminds me of that 10K we ran together...

We got Schuey coming to town in a couple of weeks for JFK50. Let's talk soon and make a plan. Congrats again on a fine showing in NYC.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 am

Niiiiccceee Kevin! I am sorry I couldn't make it to the post-race celebration. I was beat, and definitely not smiling. I'm smiling today though!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:28 am

Nice job on the race, Kevin! That is a race I have to do.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Nice job, Kevin. Thanks for the report. It gives me something to think about between now and Houston regarding your 20 mile bleed.

See in about 9 weeks or so.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Oh no, you beat Ohno!?

Congrats!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Congrats, Kevin! It was great to finally officially meet up and thanks for the fun conversation while waiting in the Green Village. Both of us beat our former younger selves and that is definitely a plus for the day! I will most definitely see you in Houston for the half or the full and I'm looking forward to it.

PS My daughter thinks you are a hoot.

PPS At least my first mile was 10:40 and the second only 8:40.Neutral Of course, I had no patience after that either, but I feel great today (ran 3 miles) so that says something.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Nicely done, Kevin!

You may not have hit all your goals, but that was (mostly) because you chose to follow the Goal #3 rather than chase Goal #2. I think a lot of us could learn from your example of level-headedness. cheers

You're a great promoter for the NYC marathon. It sounds like a great way to see the City.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Wow - sounds like you had a blast. I had a blast hangin' out with you late into the night (OK, 8:30ish...)

Fun times! Fun city. Great to meet up again...even if you are one of my "local" 365ers.

Well done on "not pushing it" and enjoying your day.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 am

By the way, did your garmin run you through buildings again, this year?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I can't believe the stupid bus driver got me there so late. Would have been fun hanging out in Staten Island with you and Michele. New York is a fabulous race isn't it. Love it. Congratulations on a great race!
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:29 pm

I can't imagine running a marathon where my main concern wasn't just hanging on for dear life! I hope that one day I can experience an "easy" marathon. Great race!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Great report, as always, Kevin. Congrats on another solid race, even if you were just relaxing and enjoying a run through the Big Apple. Good luck in your future racing/training. I hope it's as enjoyable to you as NYC seemed to be.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Kevin, I needed time to digest your report. It sounds like your ankle didn't give you any trouble and you ran a great race. I hear that mile 2 is always 40-60 seconds faster due to the uphill and downhill bridge.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Great race and report Kevin.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 am

The 2nd mile, were you under the bridge? I remember the 2nd mile Garmin pace was not accurate in 2008.

Great run, good luck at JFK!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds like a great time, both race-wise and party-wise.

Congrats.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks all for your comments - you all deepen my running experience.

Now to some open questions.
Diego wrote:It sounds like your ankle didn't give you any trouble and you ran a great race.
No problems whatsoever, Diego. But I've been managing the inflammation inside the sub-talar joint of my right ankle for three months now with three full doses of NSAIDs daily (alternating between Naproxen and Ibuprofen). I've now cut back to one full dose after each daily workout. My hope is to dispense with NSAIDs entirely by mid-December.
Seth Harrison wrote:So even a marathon veteran like you can make a rookie mistake and go out too fast!
Chris M wrote:Made me laugh out loud....7:40 is goal pace......so, execute a slow start strategy? Ha! After only 3 miles, you've banked 78 seconds under that. Reminds me of that 10K we ran together...
Diego wrote:I hear that mile 2 is always 40-60 seconds faster due to the uphill and downhill bridge.
Yes, Seth, it's easy ... I do it every time! Hey Chris, listen to Diego. He's right. It's a 4% grade up the bridge for 3/4 mile and 4% grade down the other side for just over a mile. So Diego, you're right. That said ... Chris is right. I ran every one of the first ten miles too hard ... particularly the first ... very much like the first mile of the W&OD 10K that Chris and I ran last year in 5:45. Shocked
Jerry wrote:The 2nd mile, were you under the bridge? I remember the 2nd mile Garmin pace was not accurate in 2008.
Yes, I was under the bridge. According to my Garmin, my pace was slowing from 12:30 to over 16:00 per mile going up (it had lost track of all satellites). That's why all splits that I report (those in the chart in my report) are manual splits from the mile marks on the course and do not rely on GPS tracking at all. You'll see from my reply to the question below that manual timing from actual mile marks is the only way to get accurate splits on this course.
ounce wrote:By the way, did your garmin run you through buildings again, this year?
Funny you should ask. Indeed it did. Here are three images showing the GPS track badly distorted near tall buildings. The first shows me wandering like a drunkard up 1st Avenue (right through a large building). The second purports to show that I entered Central Park several times and pretty deeply well before I actually did (south of the reservoir).

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm-110 New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm-c10

And the last purports to show that I never made it to Columbus Circle, instead making a counter-clockwise loop a block and a half downtown (and through several buildings) before crashing back through the barriers on Central Park South and going cross-country up to the finish line.

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm-c11

This is why my Garmin showed that I ran 27.6 miles, when I actually ran the standard marathon distance of 26.2 miles. The overage has nothing to do with not running tight tangents - a simple fact that many (if not most) runners simply do not get.

And to close, some images that show the magnitude of this event:

Manhattan skyline under gorgeous conditions

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1110

start of the first wave, from left to right - blue, orange, green (under the bridge)

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1111

over the bridge

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1112

bridge high point close-up

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1113

into Brooklyn

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1114

into Brooklyn close-up

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1115

heading up 4th Avenue in Brooklyn

New York City Marathon -- the easy way Nycm1116
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 am

Glad you had a successful race day Kevin. NYC is one that I would like to do at some point.

Nice pics as well. The amount of runners is pretty mind boggling.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 pm

awesome pics. great race.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down