365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elliptical - Feet Falling Asleep?

+2
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
6 posters

Go down

Elliptical - Feet Falling Asleep? Empty Elliptical - Feet Falling Asleep?

Post  Chris M Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 am

I had knee surgery a few weeks ago and I'm sidelined completely from running for a spell. I've just started using the ellipitcal again. Something weird that keeps happening if I go for about 40 or more minutes at a time is that my feet feel like they are falling asleep. That pins and needles feeling that is somewhat uncomfortable and really tough to get down and move around on. But if I stop and walk around a bit, blood seems to flow down there and I'm pretty much fine and good to go again. But is this normally what happens to people who use the elliptical? Am I doing something wrong form wise? I would really be concerned but I seem to recall Tim Miller saying something similar so maybe its not just me. But it is very strange and I NEVER have this feeling running outdoors or on the mill. Anyone know what the heck is causing that feeling when I use the elliptical?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Elliptical - Feet Falling Asleep? Empty Re: Elliptical - Feet Falling Asleep?

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 am

I've had the same experience. Weird thing is that neither cycling nor running does it. I don't guess you can really do anything wrong with the elliptical but I do know that during the time I was using it a lot that the feeling got better over time.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Yup, same thing happens to me. I'm not sure what causes it either ... well, besides lack of blood flow. Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I would get that too.

What I have found when I am running a lot is that when I sit too I get DVT symptoms in my ankles and feet sooner. Obviously a blood flow problem. If I don't get up every two hours on a long flight my feet totally swell up. It's scary at times.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Same thing happens to me on an elliptical. I can go about 45 minutes max and then my feet totally fall asleep. When I was using one because of injury, I would do 30 on the elliptical then 15 on a bike and then another 30 on the elliptical. that little break seemed to head it off.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks - I feel better that I'm not doing something wrong. Seems like Carleen's fix is the right one for me. Just planned breaks to walk around and get the blood fully flowing again. I'll be happy to return to running and not have to deal with this although I'm not finding the elliptical to be too bad. Watching House of Cards is getting me through it!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

I don't like this thing. Went to the gym last week and 3 TM were taken, I played this toy for 20 minutes, never felt good and now believe it was the major contributor of my hip pain and pulled thigh.

Of cause, insisting playing soccer last night didn't help either. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down