365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got PF? READ THIS!

+10
Seth Harrison
Julie
Admin
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
Nick Morris
Ed
charles.moman
Jeff F
dot520
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Got PF?  READ THIS! Empty Got PF? READ THIS!

Post  dot520 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 pm

First off....I'm not selling or benefiting from anything here, I just want to spread the word. I've been having a problem with Plantar Fasciatis (sp?) over the past couple of months. Actually, it's heel pain and burning that radiated up to my inner ankle. Saw my sports med doc, he examined, x-rayed and didn't find bone spurs or degeneration or anything. Sent me to PT for a month where I got stretching exercises and ASTYM. After 4 weeks, no burning pain at all, no ankle involvement but I still had a spot on the bottom of my heel that felt like a stone bruise.

Okay, I was searching the internet and found this....the foot log. www.footlog.com by searching through another website:
Fixing your own feet with Footlog

I purchased the footlog for about $25 including shipping. I use the protocol from Ron Jones' website, NOT what is included in the footlog packaging. It's been three days using it twice a day, NO Pain, NO awareness of the heel tenderness. It's been months of dealing with this chronic niggle.

So...there you have it. Give it a shot.

(hope these links work)
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Got PF?  READ THIS! Empty Re: Got PF? READ THIS!

Post  Jeff F Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 pm

I have had similar results from rolling my foot with a frozen water bottle and a tennis ball. The water bottle at home in the evening, and the tennis ball at my desk at work.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Before the Indy mini I had a bad case of PF.
Ice and rolling a tennis ball worked great for me, plus the Gratson-like technique by my chiro - Mandy.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Got PF?  READ THIS! Empty pf

Post  Ed Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 pm

I wish I had a happy ending.....Just went to the sports med doc and he said I have injured mine bad. They want to inject platelets at the injured site using an ultrasound machine to help guide the needle. They said I'm done running for 3-6 months. The tissue is worn so thin on the fascia that there is almost a hole in it. This really sucks Crying or Very sad
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Ed wrote:I wish I had a happy ending.....Just went to the sports med doc and he said I have injured mine bad. They want to inject platelets at the injured site using an ultrasound machine to help guide the needle. They said I'm done running for 3-6 months. The tissue is worn so thin on the fascia that there is almost a hole in it. This really sucks Crying or Very sad

Dang...Sorry to hear that Ed. Keep your head up and get healed so that you can come back strong!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Ed wrote:I wish I had a happy ending.....Just went to the sports med doc and he said I have injured mine bad. They want to inject platelets at the injured site using an ultrasound machine to help guide the needle. They said I'm done running for 3-6 months. The tissue is worn so thin on the fascia that there is almost a hole in it. This really sucks Crying or Very sad

Dude I don't know what the say other then this really sucks! Man you were in a groove and training and racing were going so well for you. I'm just shaking my head over here. I really hope things get better for you. Sad
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Sorry Ed - what a drag. Nothing really to say except that sucks - bad. That could be any of us - hang in there...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Ed, I can't stress this enough... 2nd opinion, dude. Whatever happens, we're pullin' for ya!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Got PF?  READ THIS! Empty pf

Post  Ed Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks guys, I'm thinking maybe I'll get a bike to keep some level of fitness and hopefully have fun doing something a bit different. For sure I will use this time to get physically stronger so hopefully get some PR's next year.
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 pm

sorry Ed, that is terrible. I agree a second opinion might be worth a try but either way I hope you heal quickly!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Ed wrote:Thanks guys, I'm thinking maybe I'll get a bike to keep some level of fitness and hopefully have fun doing something a bit different. For sure I will use this time to get physically stronger so hopefully get some PR's next year.

I like the positive attitude!!
Got PF?  READ THIS! 424776184 Got PF?  READ THIS! 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Ed wrote:Thanks guys, I'm thinking maybe I'll get a bike to keep some level of fitness and hopefully have fun doing something a bit different. For sure I will use this time to get physically stronger so hopefully get some PR's next year.

I like the positive attitude!!
Got PF?  READ THIS! 424776184 Got PF?  READ THIS! 424776184

+1..I'm sorry to read about this Ed. Good luck and yes, keep that positive attitude.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm with the second opinion camp. I had a big problem with PF many years ago. Went the PT, ultrasound route....then injections with cortisone...and finally ESWT (Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy). The ESWT cured it...totally. I was back to running in 6 weeks and ran my next marathon 12 weeks after that without a problem. No PR but was just plain happy to be doing 26.2 at that point.

On the flipside, if you do have to take 3-6 months off, consider the goal...running again. That's were I'm at...while waddling around on crutches in an immobilization boot. Running is the goal...and will remain the goal, no matter how I have to get there.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't mean to diminish those with serious PF problems. I've had other injuries that kept me out for an extended period and it's really, really awful.

In fact, I'm having some PF pain right now. But I've found that that for me it just flares up from time to time. Maybe once or twice a year. I've found that my approach has been to do absolutely nothing. No cutting back on training. No ice. No tennis ball. Nothing. For reasons I can't explain, the more I ignore it the faster it goes away.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16 pm

ssilvert wrote:I don't mean to diminish those with serious PF problems. I've had other injuries that kept me out for an extended period and it's really, really awful.

In fact, I'm having some PF pain right now. But I've found that that for me it just flares up from time to time. Maybe once or twice a year. I've found that my approach has been to do absolutely nothing. No cutting back on training. No ice. No tennis ball. Nothing. For reasons I can't explain, the more I ignore it the faster it goes away.

Stan

That is exactly what I did for a couple years but eventually the PF won the battle. Crap, they said I almost wore a hole all the way through the darn thing! When they put the needle in the doc said the fascia was "crunchy" from developing so much scar tissue.

I had PRP treatment done on Friday. The doc thinks I will be back running 70 mile weeks in 4 months as long as I take the next 3 months totally off. A little break won't be so bad. I've got to believe I have a PR or two left in these old feet.
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Paula Sue wrote:

I'm with the second opinion camp. I had a big problem with PF many years ago. Went the PT, ultrasound route....then injections with cortisone...and finally ESWT (Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy). The ESWT cured it...totally. I was back to running in 6 weeks and ran my next marathon 12 weeks after that without a problem. No PR but was just plain happy to be doing 26.2 at that point.

On the flipside, if you do have to take 3-6 months off, consider the goal...running again. That's were I'm at...while waddling around on crutches in an immobilization boot. Running is the goal...and will remain the goal, no matter how I have to get there.

Ha, I feel your pain! Wearing the boot as I type. We WILL run again and for many years. I also had good luck with the ESWP before racing in Boston last spring but it turned out to be a temp fix. Better running is just a few short months away!
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am

Ed wrote:
ssilvert wrote:I don't mean to diminish those with serious PF problems. I've had other injuries that kept me out for an extended period and it's really, really awful.

Stan

That is exactly what I did for a couple years but eventually the PF won the battle. Crap, they said I almost wore a hole all the way through the darn thing! When they put the needle in the doc said the fascia was "crunchy" from developing so much scar tissue.

I had PRP treatment done on Friday. The doc thinks I will be back running 70 mile weeks in 4 months as long as I take the next 3 months totally off. A little break won't be so bad. I've got to believe I have a PR or two left in these old feet.
Now you've got me scared, Ed. So you are saying that your PF would flare up and go away on its own just like mine? What would you have done differently to avoid the state you are in now?

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm

ssilvert wrote:
Ed wrote:

Stan

Now you've got me scared, Ed. So you are saying that your PF would flare up and go away on its own just like mine? What would you have done differently to avoid the state you are in now?

Stan

Stan,

Mine did flare up and go away. I ignored it for a couple years because it always got better. PF comes from tight calf muscles and weak feet. Most of us stretch but not enough and do very little to strengthen our feet. I won't make those mistakes again.
Ed
Ed

Back to top Go down

Got PF?  READ THIS! Empty Strengthen the feet, how?

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Stan,

Mine did flare up and go away. I ignored it for a couple
years because it always got better. PF comes from tight calf muscles and
weak feet. Most of us stretch but not enough and do very little to
strengthen our feet. I won't make those mistakes again.

I read Ed's above statement. It makes perfect sense. The question is how?

The only thing I can remember is from Hal: run barefoot on grass. lol!

Tell me more about it!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I strengthened my feet by first walking and then running in Nike Frees. Since that time I have been able to comfortably run in a neutral shoe. I used to run in a stability shoe and had PF flare at times. Once in a while I have minor PF symptoms and a session or two with a frozen water bottled rolled on the affected foot takes care of it.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Seriously, I thought I started a new thread for the question. Someone is teasing Jerry.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Jerry wrote:Seriously, I thought I started a new thread for the question. Someone is teasing Jerry.

Not teasing you, Jerry. If you want to start a new thread it is best to indicate that in the new thread. What you posted was obviously a reply to someone else in another thread. I thought you made a mistake, so I moved it into the proper thread. Then it seemed to come back again, and I wondered if I hadn't saved the change, so I moved it again.

If you want to start a new thread about strengthening feet, please do so. Just realize that as a first post in a new thread, the following made no sense:

"Stan,

Tell me more about it!"

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Jerry wrote:Seriously, I thought I started a new thread for the question. Someone is teasing Jerry.

Not teasing you, Jerry. If you want to start a new thread it is best to indicate that in the new thread. What you posted was obviously a reply to someone else in another thread. I thought you made a mistake, so I moved it into the proper thread. Then it seemed to come back again, and I wondered if I hadn't saved the change, so I moved it again.

If you want to start a new thread about strengthening feet, please do so. Just realize that as a first post in a new thread, the following made no sense:

"Stan,

Tell me more about it!"

That explained, Matt.

I did want to bring attention with a new thread, but I was lazy/sleepy, though not drunk. lol!

This will work too.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Jerry wrote: ...but I was lazy/sleepy, though not drunk. lol!

Why are you wasting valuable time? Start drinking... NOW! albino

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Jerry wrote: ...but I was lazy/sleepy, though not drunk. lol!

Why are you wasting valuable time? Start drinking... NOW! albino

At work.

I am not executive VW. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next