365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

+80
Barry W
jkane1977
EugeneGreenie
cdyow
arnelgonce
wrichman
KBFitz
Ken Cushing
pattyspangs
dkleeman
Traveller
Lauren
kath
Max M
John S
Kevin C
pigoo
nkrichards
Ed
mcm92002
Jack_Scaff
runkenny
amyjoann
Kevin L
MartinD
mountandog
Tim M
Caleb
MichiganBrian
Chris M
Tim C
charles.moman
Dave Bussard
sir digby
Paula Sue
ounce
grennifer
dot520
Colleen
Jerry
gvey
Stephanie
John Kilpatrick
healdgator
stanton
Alex Kubacki
Diego
Penelope
Bob
Vivian
fostever
Pete B
Jim Lentz
Mark B
T Miller
Liz R
jdholland
Jeff F
Don S
jon c
Matt W
JohnP
ChasMcG
Glenn
wendy_miller
Sara Jane
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Tom H
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
Julie
Schuey
Natalie
Dave-O
84 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 11 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Welcome Jim and welcome back, Barry.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 11 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  dot520 Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey, Barry! I'm thrilled that you're going to be doing Chicago. I pm'd you and told you that I was going full circle, back to Chicago! This year we'll be faster (it's all relative) than we were back in 2006!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Jim and Barry! Good to have you on board. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Barry! I joined the other boards in 2006 when I was training for my first marathon, I'm not sure if I remember you, but glad you made it over here.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

First, I have to apologise for being gone so long from this forum. I really haven't been able to get myself back into a routine of running since our Great Loop adventure and my achilles tendon repair. To be truthful, it's been so long I couldn't even remember where to find the forums with you, my virtual friends. It took a huge tragedy to bring me back to my senses and send me searching for 'my running roots'. Well, here I am...overweight, not in great shape, lazy working toward being less lazy! Have a long way to go but I've started. Now the tragedy in Boston seems to lend to motivate me which I find unexplainable other than I am a runner...a Boston veteran...and have a driving need to go back.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Paula Sue wrote:First, I have to apologise for being gone so long from this forum. I really haven't been able to get myself back into a routine of running since our Great Loop adventure and my achilles tendon repair. To be truthful, it's been so long I couldn't even remember where to find the forums with you, my virtual friends. It took a huge tragedy to bring me back to my senses and send me searching for 'my running roots'. Well, here I am...overweight, not in great shape, lazy working toward being less lazy! Have a long way to go but I've started. Now the tragedy in Boston seems to lend to motivate me which I find unexplainable other than I am a runner...a Boston veteran...and have a driving need to go back.
If I had a boat like you, Paula Sue, I wouldn't run either. Smile
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Bob wrote:If I had a boat like you, Paula Sue, I wouldn't run either. Smile
Bobby, that gets you a ride whenever we get back over to Chicago (unless you show up around Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH)!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Paula Sue wrote:
Bob wrote:If I had a boat like you, Paula Sue, I wouldn't run either. Smile
Bobby, that gets you a ride whenever we get back over to Chicago (unless you show up around Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH)!

When are you back in Ohio??? I'm not too far away again......
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:When are you back in Ohio??? I'm not too far away again......

We hope to be back by mid-May. Have had a myriad of issues with 'This Old House' we picked up for a winter home in Cape Coral, FL. The latest find is under construction/repair right now. We will have to get the boat in the water before Memorial Day. Bay Point doesn't like it sitting in the parking lot. We'll have to plan a meet up when I get back. I've missed seeing you!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Woot! Paula Sue is back!

Hope to hear more about your adventures, both on and off the water. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 11 Empty Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Post  Natalie63 Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm back. I have a new, old name because I couldn't remember how to log on! But, I'm the same Natalie and I'm an even Badder Wolf (though only a little Bigger) than I was before. I'm finding this little job of being an elected official a little more time consuming than I initially anticipated and much of the focus I poured into running is now going into things like economic development, deer culling, crosswalk upgrading, tax levy passing, and, well... you get the picture.

After running NYCM 2011 I finally had the varicose veins on my legs taken care of because, yes, I am THAT vain! Those treatments set my running back a bit, but I got back into it last summer and immediately hurt my knee running trails. Ultimately an MRI showed that I had arthritis in my knee, and the young doctor told me it was normal for someone who was "50-something" like myself. After I slapped him.... (kidding).

Anyway, I've been trying to run regularly since January with varied success. I'm determined to get it back, and I'd like to run some half marathons over the summer. We shall see! It's an election year for me, though...
Natalie63
Natalie63

http://www.lonewolfinthevillage.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Welcome back, Natalie, though I never felt you were that far away...
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Natalie, too! It's always good seeing your posts on FB, but having you back in the tribe is all the better. Welcome home.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 am

I guess this IS where I should recap what's been happening. First off, I'm glad I 'found' this board again. I couldn't remember where everyone went.

Here is my last 3 years in a nutshell:
2010-2011: Great Loop adventure on the boat (most of you knew that)
2011: Found out the pain in my left heel was a torn achilles tendon (probably happened in the Kentucky Derby Marathon 4/2010). Surgical Repair, long recovery, no running or walking for 3 months. Swam and did water aerobics.
2011-2012: Wintered in the FL Keys. Decided to buy a winter home in Cape Coral, FL...cheaper than the FL Keys. Tried to get back into a running routine...sputter, sputter.
2012: Todd had a ruptured disc and herniated disc in his neck...PT, shots didn't work. Had two level discectomy and three level fusion. No routine running again.
2012-2013: Spending winter and spring in Cape Coral. Lots of fun and sun and swimming in pool. Old home, renovated...lipstick on a pig syndrome...repair, update, upgrade, repeat! Running but not on a regular basis.
2013: Todd and I ran enough to PARTICIPATE in the Gasparilla 15K and a few local 5K. We are becoming more motivated especially since Todd's recovery has been so good. I still get a little achilles pain but it could be from the shoes I'm currently wearing. At any rate, I have my eyes on the Space Coast Marathon in December to crank myself back into distance running. Oh yeah...I'm 65 now Shocked

Thanks for letting me back into the virtual community. I do 'talk' back and forth with a few of you on FB but it's better to be in a community that understands runners.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Natalie63 wrote:After running NYCM 2011 I finally had the varicose veins on my legs taken care of because, yes, I am THAT vain! Those treatments set my running back a bit, but I got back into it last summer and immediately hurt my knee running trails. Ultimately an MRI showed that I had arthritis in my knee, and the young doctor told me it was normal for someone who was "50-something" like myself. After I slapped him.... (kidding).

Anyway, I've been trying to run regularly since January with varied success. I'm determined to get it back, and I'd like to run some half marathons over the summer. We shall see! It's an election year for me, though...

Welcome back, Natalie. I fully expected that you did in fact slap that whippersnapper. Run some halves and run for re-election? Sounds like a lot of running. Don't forget your Geritol and welcome to the 50's!

Paula Sue wrote:I guess this IS where I should recap what's been happening. First off, I'm glad I 'found' this board again. I couldn't remember where everyone went.

And welcome back, Paula Sue. Glad you're hanging in there. Maybe 'favorite' the 365 website?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 11 Empty I'm Back

Post  Ken Cushing Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 pm

After a new computer, new tablet, and new phone, I too had lost this site until Vivian posted a link on Facebook to her Boston Report. At first I didn't even realize I was on this site where I had found all of you again, so I created a new login. So sometimes you may see me as Ken Cushing and other times as Cush.

Last September, I did run the Wasatch 100, but dropped at mile 62, so I guess I ran a metric 100 instead. I'm not sure why I quit other than I really started getting down at mile 55 and didn't have a pacer with me to talk me out of it. I starting talking to myself saying, "You've already done this. Why the &*%#$ are you doing it again?". I guess when I start talking to myself in the third person, it is time to quit before I start calling myself Smeagol and Gollum. After stopping at mile 62 for an hour and eating a lot, I could have gone on, but having done it, I new how excruciating it would be to run the last 38 miles in the condition I was in. I could also feel a sub 30 hour slipping away, and I already have the 30 to 36 hour belt buckle. So I opted out.

This year I am signed up for the Ogden Marathon, the Top of Zion relay (part of a six runner ultra team), the Wasatch 100, and my 27th St George Marathon. This year for Wasatch I am going to make sure I have pacers from mile 40 on, and I now know how much water it takes to make it between stations on a hot day. I ran out twice last year.

I am not in as good of shape as I should be right now with Ogden in less than a month, so it is time to kick it in gear. I will have to check in every once in a while for the inspiration I need from the ever faithful virtual family of runners.

On a personal note, I have been married for 20+ years and have three kids ages 17, 14, and 11. I work for local government in the IT department. I used to be over software development, but for the last couple years have been the Network Manager while still being the DBA and still helping with software projects. I am very active in my church and family life and can't spend as much time here as I would like. But I like checking in from time to time to see how everyone is doing.

I wish you all well in your personal and running lives!

Last edited by Ken Cushing on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : paragraph breaks)
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am

Welcome back, Ken! You may notice as you browse through the blogs and posts that there's been a big uptick in interest in ultras in our little family. Expect to be quizzed for tips and suggestions. Either your inner Smeagol or Gollum can answer. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 am

It's good to be back in the virtual family, isn't it Ken? Always loved reading about your ultra adventures, goals and accomplishments. You really do motivate some of us to do a little more, go the extra distance. Looking forward to reading your reports.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Sun May 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi, I'm Rob. Been running now for 3 years. The marathon was kind of one of those 'bucket list' of things that I wanted to do. Signed up for the Disney Full, gave myself a year to train, lost 45lbs and ran a 3:19 for my first (also a BQ for me). Since then, a 3:12, a 2:59, a 3:19 (heat of Boston 2012) a 2:56 (Boston 2013) and two 2:54's. It has been quite an adventure, highs and lows, mistakes and triumphs. Shock and disbelief , sadness in Boston this year. I still don't know where I'm going with this, but running has become a part of my life. I've been lurking around these forums for a while enjoying the wealth of experience and knowledge that you all so willingly share. Upcoming events for me are a half marathon May 26th, a full in June which I'm attempting a sub 2:50 and then I was fortunate enough to get a spot at the St. George marathon later this fall. Also signed on for Disney again next January. That's me, and I'm very much looking forward to being a part of this great running community. Best wishes everybody, Rob.
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Wow as a lurker you certainly know how to make a grand entrance with your superb marathon accomplishments.
you'll have find the boards pact with great information and opinions on various endurance issues, etc. But most valuable is the encouragement, comradery and championing so often given on the forum.

and if you're lucky enough or we are you'll get to meet some of us at pre race dinners or meetups.

look forward to your contribution.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Welcome to the group, Rob! You've had an impressive first three years of running - belated congrats on some fantastic marathon times!

Hope to see you around, and if you feel like sharing, don't hesitate to start a training blog here.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Welcome, Rob! I can offer you nothing but that. Please stick around.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Welcome aboard -- looks like some damn fine running.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Sun May 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Welcome Rob. You've put up some awesome times!
There's a few of us on here running St. George (see the thread in Race Reports).
Hope to meet you there.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan S. Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi, I'm Jordan. I, too have been lurking for quite some time. I started running in 2011 for the sole purpose of losing a little weight. I had absolutely no desire to run any kind of races. Since then, I have dropped around 30 pounds and have run some 5 k's and a Half Marathon in Birmingham Alabama in 2013 with a time of 2:02, not anywhere near a really good time but it is one that I am happy with. I am currently training for my first full marathon which will be the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis TN in December. I have learned to enjoy running just a little bit and it has turned into a 3-4 day a week habit that I hope to keep up.
Jordan S.
Jordan S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next