Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

+80
Barry W
jkane1977
EugeneGreenie
cdyow
arnelgonce
wrichman
KBFitz
Ken Cushing
pattyspangs
dkleeman
Traveller
Lauren
kath
Max M
John S
Kevin C
pigoo
nkrichards
Ed
mcm92002
Jack_Scaff
runkenny
amyjoann
Kevin L
MartinD
mountandog
Tim M
Caleb
MichiganBrian
Chris M
Tim C
charles.moman
Dave Bussard
sir digby
Paula Sue
ounce
grennifer
dot520
Colleen
Jerry
gvey
Stephanie
John Kilpatrick
healdgator
stanton
Alex Kubacki
Diego
Penelope
Bob
Vivian
fostever
Pete B
Jim Lentz
Mark B
T Miller
Liz R
jdholland
Jeff F
Don S
jon c
Matt W
JohnP
ChasMcG
Glenn
wendy_miller
Sara Jane
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Tom H
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
Julie
Schuey
Natalie
Dave-O
84 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 10 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  Schuey Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Arnel welcome aboard and what a great story and some great race times you have for the 1/2 and marathon. I'm sure you will find a lot of support and information here. One thing you will find out no matter how many races we have all done we all continue to learn from one another. I'm still making some goofy mistakes that I was making 2 years ago.

Anyway again welcome to the gang look forward to reading about your progress as a runner.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 10 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Welcome Arnel - good to have you here! We are all learning and teaching eachother - look forward to following your progress.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey Arnel, welcome! Looks like you did great!

First marathons are nearly impossible to predict... you don't know what you don't know, no matter how many training runs you do. Race day is different. Always. You did great analyzing the run and now have more information to use next time. Stick around and let us know what you're planning...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Welcome Arnel!
dave-o - I think Matt was starting his 4th 12.5 mile (last) lap of the 50 when I was starting my 3rd! He made the rest of us look like turtles Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 am

Welcome everyone!!! I am glad to see that some of the old V-Teamers have found us or decided to migrate over!!! You will definitely enjoy it here!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  cdyow Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 am

Hello everyone.

I'm a 41 year old American ex-pat living in Costa Rica the past 5 years. The only time I ever ran regularly in my life was around 20 years ago when I was in the military. Everytime I attempted to run after that, I'd end up injured after a few weeks.

Got the bug to try again a few months ago, and stumbled through tons of online info re: minimalist/barefoot, POSE/CHI, etc.

I haven't gone over the deep end regarding any single method or concept, but instead have been trying to take bits and pieces of whatever seems to work for me.

Started barefoot walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a time a few days per week. Transitioned to walk/run barefoot on treadmill. Bought a pair of minimalist shoes and began working on drills, and running 3x per week on treadmill. After about 2 months I moved 1 run per week out onto the road to test how well my knees and ankles would hold up. They felt much better than my last attempts, but not great. But after 5 or 6 runs I made good progress on my form and am now running 3x per week on the road. I've almost eliminated the treadmill except for those exceptionally rainy days where I can't schedule around the weather (we are in the rainy season until December) or when I want to run intervals.

I've completed a couch to 5k plan, and am now 2 weeks away from completing a novice 10k plan. Next step is the half marathon. All my running thus far has been done at a relaxed pace. I'm not concerned about getting faster until I get stronger, and continue to master form.

Costa Rica is very hilly, since we are on top of volcanic formations. So things get challenging sometimes when I'm supposed to be out for a recovery run, but I find myself still crushing my legs on an uphill route.......or even on my long slow day, I am attempting new max distance and fighting the hills too. So I just make adjustments where I can and don't stress too much about any of it.

I have no idea what my running goals are other than fitness and the enjoyment/challenge of getting better. I plan on using a slightly modified version of HH novice half marathon plan when I complete my 10k training. Included is the option to run a 5k and 10k race as part of the training plan, and I will try to fit a local race into the mix over the next few months.

If I enjoy the experience, who knows, maybe I'll make a flight back to my hometown of Miami in January for the ING Half or in February for the Rock n Roll Half.

Until then, I'll just keep logging my little jaunts through the neighborhood and see where it takes me. cheers
cdyow
cdyow

http://www.christopheryow.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Welcome to 365! Sounds like you have had an interesting transition into running.

Also, I have been getting a lot of emails lately of new people signing up....please introduce yourselves! Other than Bobby, we're a nice bunch.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cdyow Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Dave-O wrote:Welcome to 365! Sounds like you have had an interesting transition into running.

Thanks for the welcome. And you're right, my transition has been interesting, frustrating, and a long time in coming.

I used to believe that all I had to do was walk out my door and run. And maybe there was a time my body could compensate for whatever ills I was throwing at it. But as my knees and other joints became less forgiving, it was just 1 futile attempt after another. So I'm pretty much approaching it now as slow and easy as possible.

It's not like at 41 years of age, I'm competing for a sponsorship or the O trials. Just searching for that sweet spot where I can run a little further each week without getting sidelined by avoidable injury.

I envy those that naturally just fell into a great stride length, cadence and landing. Apparently I was running like a run away washing machine on springs.
cdyow
cdyow

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Just take it one day at a time! I must admit, that I had more injuries in my early 40s than I do now (I turned 50 in Jan) - I'm writing it off to be smarter about listening to my body and realizing that I am no longer 25. Welcome and keep up the good work!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cdyow Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Just take it one day at a time! I must admit, that I had more injuries in my early 40s than I do now (I turned 50 in Jan) - I'm writing it off to be smarter about listening to my body and realizing that I am no longer 25. Welcome and keep up the good work!

That's great to hear. I will try to follow your lead regarding reducing injury as I grow older/wiser. Although my next post in the Heath forum will reveal I've already screwed the pooch. Crying or Very sad
cdyow
cdyow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Welcome to 365! It's great when we get a new voice and perspective added to the conversation.

I'll be watching your experiments with barefoot running with great interest. I've been making that transition myself and have been having great fun watching my form evolve.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Welcome!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  cdyow Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Mark B wrote:Welcome to 365! It's great when we get a new voice and perspective added to the conversation.

I'll be watching your experiments with barefoot running with great interest. I've been making that transition myself and have been having great fun watching my form evolve.

Thanks for the welcome, Mark. Sorry if I mislead you a little bit. I did all of my preliminary work on the treadmills barefoot. Now that I moved out onto the streets I am shod, in inov-8 f-lite 195s.

I'm barefoot in spirit! Approval
cdyow
cdyow

Back to top Go down

Post  cdyow Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Jerry wrote:Welcome!

Thank you, sir. Look forward to riding all of your coat tails for motivation.
cdyow
cdyow

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Welcome!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 10 Empty She's BAAAAAACK

Post  EugeneGreenie Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Well howdy again folks Smile

Eugene Greenie is back on the boards. Life was getting dull and no one wants to talk about running, except if you are an Olympic contender and really fast...so can we talk about sub-nine minute per mile marathons, and how I need to get off my booty to race in October? Yep, can we talk about MY Running????

There ya go...that is the BHG: a sub-nine minute per mile marathon on Oct 20.

So glad to be back and hello to all, old and new.

Eugene Greenie<----where the installation of summer seems to have aborted Smile
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey, Greenie! Welcome!

I enjoyed following your training and meeting up with you over the years. Have you scored any tickets for the Trials?

Oh wait. This is about your running. What's your October marathon? I bet sub-9 is going to happen. cheers
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jkane1977 Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:25 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and I have just recently decided to quit smoking and get back into long distance running. I'm 35 and haven't ran regularly for the better part of the last decade. I have not run in a marathon, but I always wanted to and I think it is a good goal to aim for as well as something else to focus on besides cigarettes. What I hope to accomplish is to get myself back into shape so I can run the 2013 Shamrock Marathon here in Virginia Beach and post a time good enough to qualify for Boston (3:10:00 or less). I know it's a huge undertaking, but probably something I need to do and definitely something I want to do. At any rate, I hope to learn a lot while I am here, make friends, and improve my lifestyle in the process.

jkane1977

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Welcome Jim!!

You will definitely find a knowledgable bunch here, that is willing to answers any and all of the questions that you may have. You will also find that we like to have a little fun here, too Smile Good luck with your return to running. It should be a great adventure!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome Jim!

This is a great place to hang out, learn lots, and get attaboys and girls for running and getting in shape. Good luck on your goal...can't wait to hear the progress!

E Greenie<--8 miles AND a gym workout??? Can you say nap? Smile

Last edited by EugeneGreenie on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : me)
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Welcome Jim! Running is so good and a marathon is a great goal to keep you motivated in getting the long runs completed.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:58 pm

jkane1977 wrote:Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and I have just recently decided to quit smoking and get back into long distance running.

I did the same at about the same age. I had no history in distance running, but was forced to run in my 20s in the Army Shocked

I quit smoking and used running to help reinforce the decision. Plus, when I first tried running I jumped on a treadmill and couldn't run 2 minutes without grabbing onto the handrails. Honestly, it pissed me off. Twisted Evil

It took me nearly 2 years to qualify for Boston, and I did it @ the 3:20 standard since I was turning 40... a couple years later I was running under 3:10 regularly, then finally a couple years after that I ran under 3:00. I never think about smoking now. Ever. Stay the course and pop in here regularly. Ask questions or just tell us what's going on.

Welcome The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 10 4044942068

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jkane1977 Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 am

Mr MattM wrote:

My name is Jim and I have just recently decided to quit smoking and get back into long distance running.

I did the same at about the same age. I had no history in distance running, but was forced to run in my 20s in the Army Shocked

I quit smoking and used running to help reinforce the decision. Plus, when I first tried running I jumped on a treadmill and couldn't run 2 minutes without grabbing onto the handrails. Honestly, it pissed me off. Twisted Evil

It took me nearly 2 years to qualify for Boston, and I did it @ the 3:20 standard since I was turning 40... a couple years later I was running under 3:10 regularly, then finally a couple years after that I ran under 3:00. I never think about smoking now. Ever. Stay the course and pop in here regularly. Ask questions or just tell us what's going on.

Thank you so much, and everyone else too, for the welcome. If I said I haven't doubted my sanity making this decision I'd be a liar, but seeing your story and perusing the stories/running journals of other people who are not in their 20's is definitely inspiring. It shows I'm not out of my mind, it has been done before and I can do it too with hard work and dedication.

jkane1977

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 am

jkane1977 wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

Thank you so much, and everyone else too, for the welcome. If I said I haven't doubted my sanity making this decision I'd be a liar, but seeing your story and perusing the stories/running journals of other people who are not in their 20's is definitely inspiring. It shows I'm not out of my mind, it has been done before and I can do it too with hard work and dedication.

+1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 10 Empty Great to have found everyone!!

Post  Barry W Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 am

Hello all!!

As usual, I'm late to the party and haven't checked my old trainingpeaks inbox for over a year. My name is Barry Williams and I'm an old V-teamer from 2006.

I started running 6 years ago and have done 4 (very slow) marathons. I am 51 years old as of this past May and last year was my first
year doing triathlons. I did my first tri (a sprint) in June of 2011, and my first Olympic distance, the Chicago Triathlon in August of 2011, both were slow as is my running but I had a blast. I am a chemist and director of research for a hair and skin care manufacturer and sometimes struggle to find time to train adequately. I've still definitely been running some of the usual races and am registered for the Chicago Marathon this year (October) as well as the Chicago Triathlon (Olympic distance)in August. This will be my first year doing both in the same season! I look forward to catching up with the blogs and have got a lot of reading to do here!
Barry W
Barry W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next