365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Training for Life

5 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Just Training for Life - Page 3 Empty Re: Just Training for Life

Post  ounce Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:37 pm

It's all laid out for them.

She I'm not up there to run it. You could've been my rabbit. Lol.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:49 pm

I survived.  I thrived.  I'm exhausted.

As you all know I have not been running well lately.  I was not confident heading into the Todd Beamer 10K this morning.  To complicate things Madras Runners has taken over the race from Todd's dad as his health is deteriorating and I'm new to the board.  In a nut shell this morning was chaotic.  I was totally out of my comfort zone as they handed me a mic at the last minute and said I was in charge of commentary as the 10K bus made it's way to the start.  But...I squeezed in a very short warmup, started very conservatively, calmed down as I got going and finished very well.

It's interesting...very different pacing strategy but the results are encouraging.  Looking at pace rather than finish time as the starting line is a bit flexible...a wide spot in the road...so the race length varies slightly each year...  What can I say...it's Madras.  Laughing  On the bright side, there were no cows on the road...just cow pies, and no one fell into the cattle guard as we crossed it at the 2 mile mark.  
  • 2021 @ 9:18
  • 2022 @ 9:13
  • 2023 @ 9:14

Official results aren't posted yet but I do know we had a record number or runners...217 over all 4 events.  I'll post a race report once I have official numbers...and have a nap.  Sleep
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:54 am

nkrichards wrote:I survived.  I thrived.  I'm exhausted.

As you all know I have not been running well lately.  I was not confident heading into the Todd Beamer 10K this morning.  To complicate things Madras Runners has taken over the race from Todd's dad as his health is deteriorating and I'm new to the board.  In a nut shell this morning was chaotic.  I was totally out of my comfort zone as they handed me a mic at the last minute and said I was in charge of commentary as the 10K bus made it's way to the start.  But...I squeezed in a very short warmup, started very conservatively, calmed down as I got going and finished very well.

It's interesting...very different pacing strategy but the results are encouraging.  Looking at pace rather than finish time as the starting line is a bit flexible...a wide spot in the road...so the race length varies slightly each year...  What can I say...it's Madras.  Laughing  On the bright side, there were no cows on the road...just cow pies, and no one fell into the cattle guard as we crossed it at the 2 mile mark.  

Official results aren't posted yet but I do know we had a record number or runners...217 over all 4 events.  I'll post a race report once I have official numbers...and have a nap.  Sleep

Nice job battling the nerves and getting in a good race. The 10K distance is a tough one  - even without a cattle guard at Mile 2!

Can't wait to see the results.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:I survived.  I thrived.  I'm exhausted.

Such are the demands of being in management.   Rolling Eyes 

So, are you going to volunteer at the next half marathon to do commentary, then do the race?  I think you may be on to something. Razz
In any event (except a marathon), you did well.  Gratz.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:48 pm

We are sooooo busy on the farm.  The next two weeks are going to be hectic and I'm going to battle to find time to run.  I'll mention a couple highlights and then post my race report as promised.

The race was Tuesday.  Wednesday was a rest day.  Not much pop in the legs on Thursday but I did get in a nice easy 6 @ 11:42.  I don't know the name of the muscle but lower leg, outside...not the calves and it's not shin splits.  It's not injured but boy was it sore.  And my legs were just good and tired.

Friday I got in a very good 10 miler at the viewpoints.  @11:05 with a nice fast finish...and...drum roll please...average HR only 145.   cheers

My old triathlon training partner is back in town for a few days.  I wasn't able to make it to the group dinner Friday evening but I organized a group run on Saturday morning and she joined us.  We slowed down so Janice could run with us and finished at the coffee shop.  Fun morning.

And then we got busy on the farm...

I woke up this morning at 4:00 with plans to go bale but the dew hadn't settled in yet.  So I dug through the closet and found the safety lights that I had from the year I ran the Hood to Coast relay.  Dark, sleepy, and hungry resulted in a very slow run but I got my 6 miles done just it time to jump on the tractor.  I did learn that 3 slurps of coffee is not adequate fuel for a 6 mile run!  I quickly packed breakfast to eat while driving and we got a lot done before the dew disappeared.

Doesn't look promising for a run tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:43 am

Sounds like that rough running surface gave a bit of extra stimulus to those upper ankle stability muscles! Hopefully it's abated now.

This is your busy season, isn't it? Good job squeezing in that run on Monday. And it's getting hotter again, so there's that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:36 pm

Very busy.  Very hot.  I've been able to squeeze in a few runs here and there and all things considered they have gone surprisingly well.  Sitting so many hours in a tractor does not keep the legs ready to run!  Tight hamstrings and hip flexors make walking difficult.   Shocked

But I do have some news.  I had a video appointment with Dr. B this morning.  I've been experiencing some symptoms that I thought hoped were related to stress, lack of sleep, and the heat...but I wanted to discuss them with him.  I've had trouble with lightheadedness while running.  Heat?  I think so.  But I've also been short of breath...more like I don't feel like I can get a deep breath, and also some mild chest pain.  It happens when I'm inactive...not when I run...so I was pretty sure it was stress related and not heart related, but I wasn't confident.  He agrees but also suggested that we schedule a nuclear stress test so that we can be sure.  Not sure when they will be able to get me on the schedule but he said to keep running and enjoy my trip to Alaska.  

Did I mention that we're heading to Alaska on the 27th and will be spending a week on a boat with only 3 cabins in search of grizzly bears and whales?

Long run (12 miles) on the schedule for tomorrow and Marty is encouraging me to take the day off from baling and head to the overlook for an early run.  I think I will.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:51 pm

I hope all checks out fine when you get back from AK! Enjoy your trip! Sounds lovely, and such a lovely time of year to be somewhere cool.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:47 am

I hope you don't find the grizzlies at the same spot as the whales & vice versa.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:45 pm

Uh, Nancy?  Someone hacked your Strava account because I got a kudos for this morning's run. affraid

Maybe that person is a runner because your account has been active.  Maybe running from whales?   Razz
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:46 am

Just Training for Life - Page 3 Img_4511
Just Training for Life - Page 3 Img_4510
We did not get eaten by bears.  Home.  Exhausted.  Busy.  
Trip of a lifetime.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:26 pm

Not getting eaten by bears is a good thing. Welcome home!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:57 pm

Not eating bears was probably a good thing. Unless Marty was bait in the top photo.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:29 pm

I don't have time for a long post but did want to pass on that I survived my stress test.  Dr B hasn't read the results yet but I was quite pleased and the notes that are on my chart look positive.  More info to follow.

It was hotter in Portland than in Central Oregon!! Sweaty
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:36 pm

nkrichards wrote:I don't have time for a long post but did want to pass on that I survived my stress test.  Dr B hasn't read the results yet but I was quite pleased and the notes that are on my chart look positive.  More info to follow.

Clinic Notes - "she didn't die, so she passed with flying colors.  Ready for a full triathlon."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:49 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I don't have time for a long post but did want to pass on that I survived my stress test.  Dr B hasn't read the results yet but I was quite pleased and the notes that are on my chart look positive.  More info to follow.

Clinic Notes - "she didn't die, so she passed with flying colors.  Ready for a full triathlon."
Yup, that's pretty much the diagnosis.  No excuses now.

So, I'm going to list a few of the important stats from my stress tests and then write a quick analysis.

• Time 13:15
  • Workload 15.7 Mets
  • HR 57-153
  • EF 54%
  • VO2 Max 54
  • TID 0.95 (normal <1.2)

Test done while on Metoprolol which kept my HR low.  Abnormal resting ECG.  Right bundle branch block.  Moderate sized perfusion abnormality involving the mid and apical segments of the inferior and inferoseptal walls.

• Time 11:59
  • Workload 11:15 Mets
  • HR 56-171
  • EF 71%
  • VO2 48.6
  • TID 0.90

Abnormal resting ECG.  Myocardial (left ventricle) perfusion is abnormal.  Possible small infarct and peri-infarct ischemia in the inferior wall.  Possibly better inferior wall uptake when compared to previous test.

• Time 13:00
  • Workload 15.3 Mets
  • HR 62-160
  • EF 66%
  • VO2 53.4
  • TID 1.05

Normal resting ECG...interesting.  Myocardial (LV) perfusion is abnormal...small in size.  There is no ischemia on perfusion images.  There is a small area of infarction in the inferior wall.

It's kind of hard to compare the tests as they were read by different technicians but here goes.
  • In 2016 I was on Metoprolol which kept my HR lower so they allowed me to go longer.  That increased not only my time but my workload and I think it also resulted in an increased VO2 Max.
  • In 2018 my HR went up quickly and they made me stop.  They have to make sure that you can continue for a minute after injecting the nuclear stuff so wanted to be cautious.  I had already gone plenty long enough to get an accurate scan.  So...lower time, workload, and VO2 Max.
  • But EF went from 54%- 71% which is good.  Not sure why it dropped to 66% in 2023.  Age?  I'm curious.
  • 2023  I was nervous...note the high resting HR.  But must be more fit as I was able to go longer without my HR rising to a point where they were concerned.  They insisted that the nuclear stuff be injected at 12 minutes and then allowed me to go to the next speed/elevation for the last minute when they stopped it.  They acknowledged that I appeared to have the ability to continue but it's their job to be cautious.  So time, workload, VO2 Max essentially the same as 2016 even though I'm 7 years older.
  • TID was higher in 2023.  I don't fully understand that value but lower is better.  I'll ask Dr. B if I get the chance.
  • Statistically my target HR for the test was 131 which I achieved easily.  My max HR is supposed to be 155.  Obviously I don't pay attention to statistics.

So...I do still have some heart damage but it doesn't appear to be worse and may in fact be slightly better.  It's hard to compare when the scans were read by different doctors.  All the tests indicate I am at low risk...but that's what the calcium score test indicated before my cardiac event.

One of the nurses is a marathon runner who grew up in Bend.  It was fun to chat with her.  Both nurses laughed when I mentioned I was disappointed that they stopped me at 12 minutes in 2018.  They said the treadmill always wins this race.

So as expected I'm back to training with a bit more confidence that the symptoms I've been experiencing are indeed stress related and not related to heart health.  That doesn't mean I don't need to work on reducing my stress load though.

Coach Melissa has all easy running on my schedule this week...and slightly lower mileage.  She has given me the green light to add a few miles and/or participate in Workout Wednesday if I'm feeling good but has cautioned me to be careful in the heat and smoke.  We'll ramp up a bit as it cools off.  The Boring Half on Sept 10th will be more of a training run than a race as I won't be trained to race.  It will be fun to run on the multi-use trail...it's been on my wish list and just never worked out.  We'll see how training goes and discuss CIM goals later in the training cycle.

I will admit that I haven't been feeling great.  I'm going to assume that the stress I've been under does have an affect on me physically.  I guess I also have to admit that I am getting older.  Things that I used to be able to handle easily are much more difficult.  I get tired and feel out of sorts when I'm out of my normal routine.  Traveling...and especially returning home after traveling...was exhausting.  The fasting and trip to Beaverton for my stress test really messed my body up.  I'm beginning to understand my Mom's aging process much better...and determined to make mine different!!!!!

I'm hiding in the house away from the heat and smoke.  Janice shared some delicious peaches with us and I'm going to save most of them to eat fresh but Marty requested a peach pie so I'll make that this afternoon.  Even a healthy lifestyle can include treats on occasion.

Ultreya.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:14 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Yup, that's pretty much the diagnosis.  No excuses now.

So, I'm going to list a few of the important stats from my stress tests and then write a quick analysis.

• Time 13:15
  • Workload 15.7 Mets
  • HR 57-153
  • EF 54%
  • VO2 Max 54
  • TID 0.95 (normal <1.2)

Test done while on Metoprolol which kept my HR low.  Abnormal resting ECG.  Right bundle branch block.  Moderate sized perfusion abnormality involving the mid and apical segments of the inferior and inferoseptal walls.

• Time 11:59
  • Workload 11:15 Mets
  • HR 56-171
  • EF 71%
  • VO2 48.6
  • TID 0.90

Abnormal resting ECG.  Myocardial (left ventricle) perfusion is abnormal.  Possible small infarct and peri-infarct ischemia in the inferior wall.  Possibly better inferior wall uptake when compared to previous test.

• Time 13:00
  • Workload 15.3 Mets
  • HR 62-160
  • EF 66%
  • VO2 53.4
  • TID 1.05

Normal resting ECG...interesting.  Myocardial (LV) perfusion is abnormal...small in size.  There is no ischemia on perfusion images.  There is a small area of infarction in the inferior wall.

It's kind of hard to compare the tests as they were read by different technicians but here goes.
  • In 2016 I was on Metoprolol which kept my HR lower so they allowed me to go longer.  That increased not only my time but my workload and I think it also resulted in an increased VO2 Max.
  • In 2018 my HR went up quickly and they made me stop.  They have to make sure that you can continue for a minute after injecting the nuclear stuff so wanted to be cautious.  I had already gone plenty long enough to get an accurate scan.  So...lower time, workload, and VO2 Max.
  • But EF went from 54%- 71% which is good.  Not sure why it dropped to 66% in 2023.  Age?  I'm curious.
  • 2023  I was nervous...note the high resting HR.  But must be more fit as I was able to go longer without my HR rising to a point where they were concerned.  They insisted that the nuclear stuff be injected at 12 minutes and then allowed me to go to the next speed/elevation for the last minute when they stopped it.  They acknowledged that I appeared to have the ability to continue but it's their job to be cautious.  So time, workload, VO2 Max essentially the same as 2016 even though I'm 7 years older.
  • TID was higher in 2023.  I don't fully understand that value but lower is better.  I'll ask Dr. B if I get the chance.
  • Statistically my target HR for the test was 131 which I achieved easily.  My max HR is supposed to be 155.  Obviously I don't pay attention to statistics.

So...I do still have some heart damage but it doesn't appear to be worse and may in fact be slightly better.  It's hard to compare when the scans were read by different doctors.  All the tests indicate I am at low risk...but that's what the calcium score test indicated before my cardiac event.

One of the nurses is a marathon runner who grew up in Bend.  It was fun to chat with her.  Both nurses laughed when I mentioned I was disappointed that they stopped me at 12 minutes in 2018.  They said the treadmill always wins this race.

So as expected I'm back to training with a bit more confidence that the symptoms I've been experiencing are indeed stress related and not related to heart health.  That doesn't mean I don't need to work on reducing my stress load though.

Coach Melissa has all easy running on my schedule this week...and slightly lower mileage.  She has given me the green light to add a few miles and/or participate in Workout Wednesday if I'm feeling good but has cautioned me to be careful in the heat and smoke.  We'll ramp up a bit as it cools off.  The Boring Half on Sept 10th will be more of a training run than a race as I won't be trained to race.  It will be fun to run on the multi-use trail...it's been on my wish list and just never worked out.  We'll see how training goes and discuss CIM goals later in the training cycle.

I will admit that I haven't been feeling great.  I'm going to assume that the stress I've been under does have an affect on me physically.  I guess I also have to admit that I am getting older.  Things that I used to be able to handle easily are much more difficult.  I get tired and feel out of sorts when I'm out of my normal routine.  Traveling...and especially returning home after traveling...was exhausting.  The fasting and trip to Beaverton for my stress test really messed my body up.  I'm beginning to understand my Mom's aging process much better...and determined to make mine different!!!!!

I'm hiding in the house away from the heat and smoke.  Janice shared some delicious peaches with us and I'm going to save most of them to eat fresh but Marty requested a peach pie so I'll make that this afternoon.  Even a healthy lifestyle can include treats on occasion.

Ultreya.

Those results look encouraging to me. Yes, there's damage, but as you say... not worse. Your VOMax is up, and your Max HR laughs at the textbook levels. All very good.

Yes, we're all getting older, but don't count out the possibility of some lingering impacts from COVID (you had it,right?). And if not that, life stress can take a LOT out of you. Even young fit people get exhausted when they burn the candle at both ends. Maybe you could work on easing stress and letting your body recover and see if it helps? Worth a try, anyway.

It has been HOT on my side of the Cascades. Great time for the AC to conk out on us. It's 99 outside right now and 82 inside. Almost to the hottest part of the day. Glad it's a little cooler over on your side. Take care of yourself!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:27 pm

Your METS is outstanding!  Better than a trained 30 year old female.  Highest is 22.    2 years ago, mine was a 10.5 for 9 minutes at 14 degrees, which about a 38 year old male.

You won't ever be able to shake that muscle damage.  It's dead.  But Freddie doesn't seem to miss it. Wink

Regarding your EF, I was told it is what it is and you can't train or change or work to specifically change the EF.  On my report, it had a typo for the EF at 96%, instead of 66.  The cardiologist said, "Wow, um, that would be Superman territory."

My TID was .96.

I know your's lasted 13 minutes, but does the report state at what max degree incline you did?  I don't think I could've done 13 minutes.  I think I could've done 10.

I think it PROVES that your heart ain't gonna give up on you.  So, I further think (a lot of thinking for me) that you shouldn't worry about it during a marathon.  You just put that baby to bed, let others worry for you, but you go.  And when I type 'go,' I mean GOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well done, youngster!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:11 am

ounce wrote:Your METS is outstanding!  Better than a trained 30 year old female.  Highest is 22.    2 years ago, mine was a 10.5 for 9 minutes at 14 degrees, which about a 38 year old male.

You won't ever be able to shake that muscle damage.  It's dead.  But Freddie doesn't seem to miss it. Wink

Regarding your EF, I was told it is what it is and you can't train or change or work to specifically change the EF.  On my report, it had a typo for the EF at 96%, instead of 66.  The cardiologist said, "Wow, um, that would be Superman territory."

My TID was .96.

I know your's lasted 13 minutes, but does the report state at what max degree incline you did?  I don't think I could've done 13 minutes.  I think I could've done 10.

I think it PROVES that your heart ain't gonna give up on you.  So, I further think (a lot of thinking for me) that you shouldn't worry about it during a marathon.  You just put that baby to bed, let others worry for you, but you go.  And when I type 'go,' I mean GOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well done, youngster!
Thanks Doug.  I think both Dr. B and I wanted this test just to provide some peace of mind.  His nurse called yesterday to say that the symptoms I've been experiencing are not heart related...so that means they are caused by life stress...that's what we both expected.  I'm working on reducing that but it's a tough situation.

My speed/incline
  • Stage 1  3 minutes @ 1.7mph 10% grade
  • Stage 2  3 minutes @ 2.5mph 12% grade
  • Stage 3  3 minutes @ 3.4mph  14% grade
  • Stage 4  3 minutes @ 4.2 mph  16% grade
  • Stage 5  1 minute @ 5 mph  18% grade

I was humming along pretty comfortably and wish they would have allowed me to actually go till exhaustion just out of curiosity but I realize that wasn't the point of the test.  They had the information they needed and wanted to get me back to the machine for my final scan.

Fast Freddy and I are just going to have to get out there and run!

Thanks for the input.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 am

Mark B wrote:

Those results look encouraging to me. Yes, there's damage, but as you say... not worse. Your VOMax is up, and your Max HR laughs at the textbook levels. All very good.

Yes, we're all getting older, but don't count out the possibility of some lingering impacts from COVID (you had it,right?). And if not that, life stress can take a LOT out of you. Even young fit people get exhausted when they burn the candle at both ends. Maybe you could work on easing stress and letting your body recover and see if it helps? Worth a try, anyway.

It has been HOT on my side of the Cascades. Great time for the AC to conk out on us. It's 99 outside right now and 82 inside. Almost to the hottest part of the day. Glad it's a little cooler over on your side. Take care of yourself!
I hadn't thought about COVID...we did both have it.  We didn't get very sick so just kind of ignored it but it's a possibility.  Maybe COVID is just now part of the aging process.  

In the big picture it doesn't really matter what the cause of my symptoms is.  I do need to work on reducing my stress load and living a healthy lifestyle.  And then accept whatever life brings.

Glad our AC is still working!  We didn't have enough dew to bale this morning and I considered going for an unscheduled run as I know we're going to be busy once the temps cool off but it's very smoky out there and getting worse.  I think it's a good day to catch up on office work.  Or maybe just rest a bit.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:20 pm

Outdoor running shut down due to wildfire smoke.  It's nasty out there!

I ran 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday.  Speedwork on the schedule today...postponing till tomorrow when I have a rest day scheduled.  Fingers crossed that the smoke clears a bit as predicted.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:53 pm

Another fun run on the mill!  

Smoke makes for nice sunsets, though.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:38 pm

ounce wrote:Another fun run on the mill!  

Smoke makes for nice sunsets, though.
Yes, the smoke does create some nice sunsets but it's not very conducive to running.  My throat is starting to feel scratchy.

I did my intervals...delayed as planned on Wednesday.  Didn't get started till 10 as I had to bale in the morning.  It was pretty warm and a bit smoky.  I drove to town as the smoke was a bit lighter there and Melissa suggested a flat area so I could concentrate on cadence.  She also warned me that the rest intervals were short.  Workout was (400-800-400)x3.  Rest was 200-200-400.  Paces were quick.  8:50-9:00 for the 400s.  9:15-9:25 for the 800.  It was TOUGH.  I hit the paces...well with a tiny bit of grace for a couple but considering the heat it was pretty good.  But I couldn't handle the short rest periods.  The first two sets went pretty well.  I walked a bit in the rest period after the second set...and in each rest period in the 3rd set.  And I finished really beat up.  

I was still beat up during my easy 6 on Thursday and also had some stomach issues.  I felt a bit better today but still not good.  I got my 10 miles in but kept it very very easy.  The first half felt pretty good but temps increased, the smoke rolled in, and my stomach rebelled during the 5th mile.  I kept the effort consistent but the pace dropped a bit.  I was able to speed up some the last couple miles but not much and to be honest I didn't try all that hard.  I decided before the run that the goal was to get the miles in while giving me the best opportunity to have the legs ready to respond next week.

Nice easy social run planned for tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:41 am

You youngsters can still do those intervals.  Good job not getting hurt, after all of that.  I hope y'alls smoke doesn't become trapped, once it's there.

Maybe Fall will show its face, up there, soon.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:44 am

Sorry for the infrequent posting.  I'll admit that I'm struggling a bit...both with life and with running...but it's the situation I have to figure out how to deal with.

So...running...I've had some really good training runs.  And some really poor runs.  I'm still experiencing the symptoms that had Dr. B and I both concerned enough to schedule the stress test.  The stress test indicates it's not heart caused so it's assumed it's stress related but I haven't been able to get it under control.  Fortunately it doesn't happen while I'm running and Dr. B has encouraged me to continue to run.  I realized that I hadn't updated my handwritten training log since CIM.  That's highly unusual as I was entering my data on a daily basis.  So, I sat down and updated it.  Surprisingly, my mileage is only slightly down as compared to last year so that's encouraging.  Coach Melissa says my training is better than I realize and that I do have time to get in a good marathon training cycle before CIM.  I'm losing confidence and motivation.

But...I have a half tomorrow.  It's going to be a Boring Half.  I had to help with field burning on Wednesday and I'm tired and very sore but it is what it is.  The plan is to head out at a conservative MP and then see how I feel at the turn around.  I'll be very pleased if I can manage a 13 mile MP run at this point.  Melissa thinks I can pick it up toward the end.  We'll see.  Temps look warm but not terrible...upper 50's at the start warming to mid-upper 60's by the finish.  Course is on a paved multi-use trail on the old train easement.  It's a popular trail that I've been wanting to run.  It's near where I grew up but I wasn't a runner when I lived there.  It's got a slight downhill...I think 175' on the way out and then obviously a slight elevation gain on the way back.  And...I realized that I will be running along the edge of the cemetery where my Dad's side of the family is all buried just before and just after the turn around.  The plan is to nod to them but not stay long.  Very Happy  

Trying hard to keep my goals realistic and my attitude positive.  I'll let you know how successful I am...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next