365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Training for Life

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Just Training for Life - Page 6 Empty Re: Just Training for Life

Post  ounce Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:44 pm

Good luck, tomorrow, Nancy.

Promise the hammie some reward to hold together.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:20 pm

Sorry about your DNF.  I figure you'll get back home in one or two pieces when you post.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:44 pm

ounce wrote:Sorry about your DNF.  I figure you'll get back home in one or two pieces when you post.
Thanks Doug.  

Yes, I did make it back home this afternoon.  I didn't want to stay in Sacramento so we left yesterday and split the drive over two days.

Tired, sore, and disappointed.  

Oddly, I'm not disappointed with my decision to drop out shortly after mile 10.  It was becoming more and more obvious that my hamstring was not able to withstand marathon pace.  It was affecting my running form and my hip was hurting in a different way.   I didn't see the point in risking further injury just to prove how determined stubborn I am.

I am disappointed that I did not acknowledge the injury and pull out before I left home.  That was a mistake...it's much easier to see the signs that I missed now that it's hindsight.  There's that determination stubbornness again.

I have PT and massage appointments on Dec 18th.  My goal now is to figure out what is wrong...more importantly...what is causing it.  And then figuring out if I can fix it after ignoring it for 40+ years.  Once I get those things figured out I'll be able to choose appropriate running goals for the future.  Running is an important part of my life and I don't intend to change that.

Thanks for following.  It means a lot to me.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Sorry about your DNF.  I figure you'll get back home in one or two pieces when you post.
Thanks Doug.  

Yes, I did make it back home this afternoon.  I didn't want to stay in Sacramento so we left yesterday and split the drive over two days.

Oddly, I'm not disappointed with my decision to drop out shortly after mile 10.  It was becoming more and more obvious that my hamstring was not able to withstand marathon pace.  It was affecting my running form and my hip was hurting in a different way.   I didn't see the point in risking further injury just to prove how determined stubborn I am.

I am disappointed that I did not acknowledge the injury and pull out before I left home.  That was a mistake...it's much easier to see the signs that I missed now that it's hindsight.  There's that determination stubbornness again.

I have PT and massage appointments on Dec 18th.  My goal now is to figure out what is wrong...more importantly...what is causing it.  And then figuring out if I can fix it after ignoring it for 40+ years.  Once I get those things figured out I'll be able to choose appropriate running goals for the future.  Running is an important part of my life and I don't intend to change that.

Aw, dangit. I was hoping to read about your success at CIM, but that wasn't in the cards. 

DNF was the right decision, though. There's no glory in hurting yourself further trying to gut it out. Some massage and PT are great first steps, but you're right: you need to figure out what's causing the hamstring problems. I hope you find the answer soon and can get back to this thing you love so much.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:54 pm

It's important that you make these realizations on your own timing.  But I am sorry that you couldn't blame the weather.

In my own journey, this Fall, 'mobility' has become the new 'watch word.'  Even before my ligament soreness, which beget the MRI, then The Case of the Missing Meniscus.  I still enjoy running, but mobility and all that that word encompasses is going to have to have a place at my exercise table.  Some of it can be done at home, but I've never enjoyed doing any workout related stuff at home.

I want to be limber, or at least limberer than the average 50 year old.

Heal up!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:52 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Thanks Doug.  

Aw, dangit. I was hoping to read about your success at CIM, but that wasn't in the cards. 

DNF was the right decision, though. There's no glory in hurting yourself further trying to gut it out. Some massage and PT are great first steps, but you're right: you need to figure out what's causing the hamstring problems. I hope you find the answer soon and can get back to this thing you love so much.

ounce wrote:It's important that you make these realizations on your own timing.  But I am sorry that you couldn't blame the weather.

In my own journey, this Fall, 'mobility' has become the new 'watch word.'  Even before my ligament soreness, which beget the MRI, then The Case of the Missing Meniscus.  I still enjoy running, but mobility and all that that word encompasses is going to have to have a place at my exercise table.  Some of it can be done at home, but I've never enjoyed doing any workout related stuff at home.

Heal up!
Thanks to both of you as I try to muddle through this.  It helps to have someone to "listen" to me that understands.

Now for some humor...Janice invited me to walk with her today.  It was supposed to be 7 miles in celebration of Norma's 70th birthday...followed by lunch.  I committed to joining them and then thought...what?  7 miles on an injury that forced me to pull out of my goal marathon?  What was I thinking?  You see how hard it is for me to take that step back... But I did.  I sent a message last night indicating that I would pass on the walk and join them for lunch.  Progress...  lol!

It's going to be hard to take the two weeks off that my coach suggests.  I know I'll be tempted to try out the hamstring before my PT appointment.  Shots

Ultreya....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Thanks Doug.  

ounce wrote:It's important that you make these realizations on your own timing.  But I am sorry that you couldn't blame the weather.

Heal up!
Thanks to both of you as I try to muddle through this.  It helps to have someone to "listen" to me that understands.

Now for some humor...Janice invited me to walk with her today.  It was supposed to be 7 miles in celebration of Norma's 70th birthday...followed by lunch.  I committed to joining them and then thought...what?  7 miles on an injury that forced me to pull out of my goal marathon?  What was I thinking?  You see how hard it is for me to take that step back... But I did.  I sent a message last night indicating that I would pass on the walk and join them for lunch.  Progress...  lol!

It's going to be hard to take the two weeks off that my coach suggests.  I know I'll be tempted to try out the hamstring before my PT appointment.  Shots

Ultreya....
And you've been a good girl for the first week!  Boy, this resting will become a habit, if you don't watch it.  I might have to fly Fast Freddy up there, if you don't watch it. Suspect
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:47 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Thanks Doug.  

Heal up!

Ultreya....
And you've been a good girl for the first week!  Boy, this resting will become a habit, if you don't watch it.  I might have to fly Fast Freddy up there, if you don't watch it. Suspect
No!  Keep Fast Freddy away from me!

Update.  The hamstring has been getting more uncomfortable...not better.  So, I decided that maybe sitting was causing the problem to intensify.  In addition to my drive to/from Sacramento, Marty and I had to make a family related trip to the valley resulting in another 6 hours in the car.  And I've been sitting a lot as I catch up on office stuff.  I do try to get up and walk around on a regular basis but it's still a lot of time sitting.  Janice invited me to join her and Norma for an easy run yesterday.  You'll be surprised to hear that I accepted with the caveat that I was just going to walk.  Norma was happy to walk 1.7 miles with me while Janice got her 5K of run/walk done. 

Short walk planned again today.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:55 pm

I have Fast Freddy with me under shirt and ribs.

I'd sure find out what's what on that hammie.  Having Medi-Gap means you and your doc have a free hand on what to do, as long as it's a Medicare covered procedure.  I know you know that, but I wanted to mention it just the same.

-30-

So, I wanted to impart upon you three songs that you've never heard before...probably.

"Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die"  Willie Nelson (might also have Snoop Dog and Kris Kristofferson too)
"That's Right (You're Not From Texas)"  Lyle Lovett.  Which is more or less a song to come to Texas however you are.
"12th of June"  Lyle Lovett

The backstory of 12th of June is that was the day in 2017 that his twins were born.  His first two children.  He's about 6 months younger than I.  He was born in Houston.  He and his kin folk live in Klein, which is in far north Harris County (Houston).  The San Jacinto river is the northern border of Harris County, so that's what the reference in the song means about "the branch at San Jacinto" in that they know the San Jacinto very well.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:56 pm

Three songs previously unknown, by Midland:
"Drinkin' Problem"
"Mr. Lonely" This song is similar in theme to "The Fireman" by George Strait.
"Take Her Off Your Hands"

No charge.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:38 am

Doug, I hate to admit that I haven't had time to listen to the songs you suggested...but I will.  

It's a tough/busy time of year for accountants and I have additional burdens this year.  But I have been making a point of doing my PT work.  I'm supposed to do the short (5 minute) routine 2 x/day and the longer routine 3 x/week.  I missed a couple of the short sessions over Christmas but have done pretty well.  The goal for the longer routine is to build up to the point where I can do the exercises with an 8-10 lb ankle weight.  I started without any weight and I'm now up to 2 lbs.  I've also started back into the core/strength workout with Marty 2 x/week.  I'm running a little bit...with some walking mixed in.  And swimming once a week.

If I have time, I'll pass on more details of the exercises in a few days.  They are pretty basic.

It's foggy here...and has been for days.  It's depressing and also makes it very difficult to find a safe place to run outdoors.  The fact that the temperature is hovering right around freezing every morning doesn't help.  There are slick spots hiding in the shade even in the afternoon.  

I'm wondering if this might be a good time for a new blog...this one wasn't the most successful...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:Doug, I hate to admit that I haven't had time to listen to the songs you suggested...but I will.  

It's a tough/busy time of year for accountants and I have additional burdens this year.  But I have been making a point of doing my PT work.  I'm supposed to do the short (5 minute) routine 2 x/day and the longer routine 3 x/week.  I missed a couple of the short sessions over Christmas but have done pretty well.  The goal for the longer routine is to build up to the point where I can do the exercises with an 8-10 lb ankle weight.  I started without any weight and I'm now up to 2 lbs.  I've also started back into the core/strength workout with Marty 2 x/week.  I'm running a little bit...with some walking mixed in.  And swimming once a week.

If I have time, I'll pass on more details of the exercises in a few days.  They are pretty basic.

It's foggy here...and has been for days.  It's depressing and also makes it very difficult to find a safe place to run outdoors.  The fact that the temperature is hovering right around freezing every morning doesn't help.  There are slick spots hiding in the shade even in the afternoon.  

I'm wondering if this might be a good time for a new blog...this one wasn't the most successful...

Ultreya...

A new blog sounds like a great idea. Get all the nastiness of last year behind you and look forward into a bright future!

Well, once the fog clears. 

I didn't realize it got that foggy east of the Cascades. I figured it was more of a Willamette Valley thing. Gray and gloomy isn't fun. I think you'd need to festoon yourself with bright blinking lights if you're running next to a road, though there's a chance a driver might mistake you for a vehicle and follow you home!

Good job doing the PT work. Getting the hammy checked out would be a good idea, even if they just tell you to keep up the PT. I had some hammy issues back in the day, and the thing that solved them was bridging off of a yoga ball - then pulling the ball back to my butt, first with both legs and then with each leg separately. It was the first time I really felt my gluteus maximus truly engage, and WOW, what a feeling that was!   What a Face

I need to get back to that at some point.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:Doug, I hate to admit that I haven't had time to listen to the songs you suggested...but I will.  

Ultreya...

Those bean counters never get a break at year end. At least your brain isn't as foggy as the skies. Things will settle down. Doing something consistently ain't hay (or maybe ain't carrot seeds Wink .
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:00 pm

Mark B wrote:

Ultreya...

A new blog sounds like a great idea. Get all the nastiness of last year behind you and look forward into a bright future!

Well, once the fog clears. 

I didn't realize it got that foggy east of the Cascades. I figured it was more of a Willamette Valley thing. Gray and gloomy isn't fun. I think you'd need to festoon yourself with bright blinking lights if you're running next to a road, though there's a chance a driver might mistake you for a vehicle and follow you home!

Good job doing the PT work. Getting the hammy checked out would be a good idea, even if they just tell you to keep up the PT. I had some hammy issues back in the day, and the thing that solved them was bridging off of a yoga ball - then pulling the ball back to my butt, first with both legs and then with each leg separately. It was the first time I really felt my gluteus maximus truly engage, and WOW, what a feeling that was!   What a Face

I need to get back to that at some point.

ounce wrote:

Ultreya...

Those bean counters never get a break at year end.  At least your brain isn't as foggy as the skies.  Things will settle down.  Doing something consistently ain't hay (or maybe ain't carrot seeds Wink .
Thanks for all of your support during a very rough time.  I do think it's time to put this blog to rest...and get my PT done.  I'll update in the new blog.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6