365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passion for Life 5 Mile

+5
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
sobele
Chris M
mountandog
9 posters

Go down

Passion for Life 5 Mile Empty Passion for Life 5 Mile

Post  mountandog Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Well...............all is right in my world for at least one night. It looks like the Georgia Half last weekend was just a tough race.

I ran a local 5 Mile today. Guaranteed PR - first time at that distance. 57 degrees, slight breeze, cloudy, pretty flat course, 10am start. Damn close to perfect.

I kept a really steady pace right from the beginning through the end:

6:15
6:11
6:10
6:14
6:11

30:46

Felt good. Depending upon the race calculator this translates to a 1:25:xx half and between a 2:58 - 3:01 marathon. So it looks like I'm on track afterall. Throw out Atlanta for pacing purposes.

Nothing remarkable about the race, about 1100 runners split between a 5k and 5M. Won my AG, but the race timing company currently has me in the 5k. Oh well, missed my moment in the sun, but I had another crisis du jour and wasn't worried about correcting it at the moment.

I brought my 12 yr old daughter with me to run the 5k. It is a simultaneous start so I thought it would be perfect. She would run about 24-25 min and wait for me for 5 or 6 minutes at the finish line. Well, it didn't work out that way. When I finished she was nowhere to be found. So I figured maybe she ran the 5M by accident as the 5k did a u-turn halfway and there was only one sign. Ok, no big deal. Even on her worst day she'd be done in 45 minutes. Or perhaps she decided to walk as she'd been having some knee issues. More than an hour passed and there was still no sign of Rhiannon. I went and checked the results and they didn't show her chip crossing the line. Another 30 minutes and I then contacted the police who were monitoring the event. They went up and down the course; no sign. I went back and forth to the car, searched the restaurant. No sign. Her chip never crossed the line.

Now it was almost 2 hours and I'm getting ready to go into full panic mode. Then my cell rang. It was Rhiannon. She missed the turn as I had expected and came upon the only aid station at the 3.5 mark. She asked whether she should keep running or if it would be faster to get a ride back, now that she was on the wrong course. They decided to give her a ride back to the start line - eventually. More than an hour later and no one thought to call Dad. Ugh. Damn close to a heart attack.

I really thought my kids had more sense than that. Why she just didn't finish the 5M is beyond me, as well as she knew I'd be worried but never thought to call.

In the end, all's well that ends well. KIDS!!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Passion for Life 5 Mile Empty Re: Passion for Life 5 Mile

Post  Chris M Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 am

I would have fully crossed over into complete panic a lot sooner once she didn't show up at the finish line. What a sickening feeling. But so glad everything turned out just fine. Including a real nice fast 5 mile race! All systems GO for Boston.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 am

First, so glad to hear your daughter is OK. You would have thought that that aid station would have called that in.

Second, CONGRATULATIONS on a great race and winning your AG!
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:39 pm

OMG - I would have had the National Guard out! Nice race for you though - I told you Atlanta was hilly, hot, humid, polleny, etc.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah, that would of freaked me out too. Can't even imagine. As for the
race, you are one fast dude! Great job and it should give you a lot of marathon confidence!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:OMG - I would have had the National Guard out! Nice race for you though - I told you Atlanta was hilly, hot, humid, polleny, etc.

I believed you Michele, but there was that kernel of doubt. Was I really ready??? Was nice to erase it this weekend.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 am

Very nice race!
Whew...I would have been a wreck, too, worrying about my daughter. And she's 26! Sooooo, glad that all was well!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Great race... you're fast! As for the situation with your daughter... Yikes.

And all's well that ends well, but with the fact that she had a cell phone but never thought to call you? Or that a race volunteer didn't suggest it? Flame
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Mark B wrote:Great race... you're fast! As for the situation with your daughter... Yikes.

And all's well that ends well, but with the fact that she had a cell phone but never thought to call you? Or that a race volunteer didn't suggest it? Passion for Life 5 Mile 235134252

race volunteer. She didn't have her phone while running.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

mountandog wrote:
Mark B wrote:Great race... you're fast! As for the situation with your daughter... Yikes.

And all's well that ends well, but with the fact that she had a cell phone but never thought to call you? Or that a race volunteer didn't suggest it? Passion for Life 5 Mile 235134252

race volunteer. She didn't have her phone while running.

Serious runners don't carry the phone in races. Very Happy

Good time, Michael. Look forward to your Boston report!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Nice splits, but man, what a scare! All's well that ends well.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down