365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resilience

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Resilience - Page 2 Empty Re: Resilience

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am

ounce wrote:Howdy.

Would a MRI of the hamstring help?  Or some imaging?  Seems like you've done that already.  Or is it that you just have to find that cocklebur on the underside of the saddle?

Regarding the Madras round-em-up and exercise, could you do a couch to fill-in-the-blank program?

Wish I could contribute to the hamstring thing.  I'm sure you have a good running plan that will get you to the line in a not too terribly tired state.  Just pace your training.  11 miles ain't hay nor carrot seedlings.

Enjoy the warm weather.  It will get warmer.  We may have had our last <60 degree morning, this morning.

I'm like you regarding checks.  I never got instructions on how to do a batch of ACH payments.  Sure love them on paydays, though.  But I never liked payments going to a lockbox because the remittance advice somehow doesn't get copied correctly, so you have to call the customer to send the remittance advice to you.  I don't think the day you gain in getting a check deposited is worth the angst of applying the money to the customer's invoices.  If you're that tight on funds, you have to play the float better.
Good questions as usual...

I did have an ultra-sound done last year.  There is/was scar tissue where the hamstring connects to the sit bone on both legs.  The left leg was the worst.  At the time it was the left leg that was most painful.  It is now the right leg.  Siri seems to think that we're addressing that issue and making good progress but thinks there is something else going on as well.  I am making slow progress so while frustrating at times, it is encouraging.

I don't remember how much I've mentioned here before...  Siri noted that I was lacking both strength and mobility when I started with her in December just before my marathon.  She is quite pleased with the progress I've made in those areas and has moved me into more of a maintenance mode so that I have the time and energy to increase running.  She does advise caution when I set goals so that I don't put myself in a position where I feel like I need to push through the pain to accomplish goals and make poor decisions (like starting a marathon last December when I was obviously injured).

In addition, I've visited with Dr. B as my heart/breathing issues are still a factor.  We both agree that based on my description and the stress test I had a couple months back, it's stress related and not heart related.  Oddly enough I feel good when I run.  I struggle when I'm in bed or sitting in my chair.  He's encouraging me to use running as a form of stress relief but advising caution when I set goals.  Does this sound familiar?

I have a phone call scheduled with coach Melissa to talk about appropriate goals and getting me through the year healthy and happy.  I would like to run a marathon this fall before we head to Australia.  Siri and Dr. B are both on board provided it's later in the fall and that I keep my time goals modest...or non-existent.  

Can I run without self-imposed time goals?  I guess we're going to find out.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Resilience - Page 2 Empty Re: Resilience

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

I planned to wait until after I talked to Coach Melissa on Monday morning before posting an update but since I need to try and at least keep up with Mark and maintain my 5th position on the Top Posters board I decided to post again today.

And I am excited to share the stats from my 10 miler yesterday.  My long runs have been scheduled as easy runs with the goal to just get the distance in and build base but this week Melissa encouraged me to work for a negative split (it's in my nature to always work for a negative split) and push a bit harder.  I made sure the first 5 miles and the second 5 miles were on the same route so paces were comparable.  Melissa's comment afterwards was "Boom".  
10 miles @ 10:53 1:48:53 HR 145/169 Cadence 156
  1. 11:34
  2. 11:20
  3. 11:05
  4. 11:17
  5. 11:12
  6. 11:00
  7. 10:54
  8. 10:33
  9. 10:15
  10. 9:37

The last few weeks my long runs have been 10-11 miles...paces 11:34,11:17,11:38,12:24,11:18,11:29.  I think they were all at the rim except for that really slow run which was on a hilly course.  You can see why I'm excited to share.  And my HR and cadence were also slightly better.  Cadence actually improved in the second half this week. And the hamstring felt pretty good as well.  bounce bounce bounce

Easy 4 this morning and the legs were feeling yesterdays run but they loosened up okay.  I'll make sure I do my PT strength work this afternoon so they have a full rest day before my tempo run on Monday.

Marty and I are headed to West Yellowstone early Tuesday.  His brother's service is Wednesday morning.  We have to make a quick trip as he can't be away from the farm for to long this time of year.  I don't plan to try to squeeze in any running.  I just don't think I'll have time.  I think a short break will be good.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum