365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resilience

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Resilience Empty Resilience

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:58 pm

It's time to concentrate on building strength and resilience in running...and in my life in general.  I need to be prepared to handle the setbacks and challenges that running and life throw at me.  

I'm still not sure what my long term running goals will be but my short term goal is to put those long term goals on the back burner and get this hamstring issue resolved.  I think that I've been unwilling to stop working toward that elusive BQ long enough to really deal with the hamstring issue.  It's going to take time and effort.  I've ignored it for 40+ years!  And I think resolving the hamstring issue will make me a stronger more resilient runner if/when I decide to try another marathon.

Life goals are similar.  We still aren't sure exactly what path we'll be taking...there are some things that are out of our control and not yet resolved.  But we now know what we want.  In the short term we need to figure out exactly how to get to the point where we can transition to our long term goals.Marty wants to continue to farm but is willing to downsize and hire more help so that we can slow down and travel while we're still farming.  I want to help Marty accomplish his farming goals but I do want to continue running and travel more.  I have a few more places/activities on my bucket list.  Very Happy  Marty and I do much better when we're working toward a goal(s) that we share.  I'm committed to helping him continue farming for as long as he's able.  He's committed to slowing down enough to support my running and travel goals.  Farming is what makes Marty happy.  Running is what makes me happy.  Travel is a bonus for both of us.  

Update from PT appointment yesterday.
  • During my last visit Siri discovered that my pelvis was out of alignment...I was cattywampus!  As a result one leg was longer than the other.  She did some work on me to get things back where they should be and sent me home with exercises to do twice daily to keep me correctly aligned.  Yesterday she was surprised and pleased to see that I was correctly aligned!  cheers  I no longer have to do those exercises.
  • During my last visit, Siri also discovered that I had very poor hip mobility and strength.  She felt that was a big part of my problem.  She sent me home with a list of internal rotation, external rotation, and abduction exercises to do 3 times per week.  Yesterday she said I had noticeable abduction improvement and minimal internal/external rotation improvement.  Those exercises are all done with an ankle weight.  She said she does them on a regular basis and I should plan on making them a part of my routine as long as I want to continue running.  I'll be increasing the ankle weight as I'm able.
  • Siri said that she now felt comfortable addressing the hamstring tendonitis.  She has me doing deadlifts and single leg deadlifts correctly.  The key word here is correctly.  I've been doing these on a regular basis but she said they aren't effective unless I keep my back straight.  So...not weight for now...just a stick that I have to hold behind me to make sure it touches my head, shoulders, and butt at all times!  I can't add weight until I can keep my back straight...and balance on one leg.  lol 
  • Siri also suggested I work on hamstring flexibility.  Oddly enough the right hamstring (painful one) is more flexible than the left hamstring.  She wants it to be easy stretching held for 90 seconds.  So she has me doing a seated hamstring stretch and seated piriformis stretch...with a timer...daily.  The key is to relax with just enough pressure to get the desired effect.
  • I need to remember not to cross my legs or curl one leg under and sit on my foot.  I've done that since I was a kid!
  • This is going to take time and effort but I'm hoping we can get the desired results this time.  Siri indicated that I need to load the hamstring and then allow it to repair.  The goal is taxing the muscle enough to create DOMs that repairs itself within 24 hours...without increasing the tendonitis related pain.  It's a fine line.  IT WILL TAKE TIME AND EFFORT!
  • I'm scheduling a sport massage with Big Mike after each PT session.  He's good...he works at the Olympic trials and travels with the US team.  And Siri said if I she knows I have a massage scheduled then she can concentrate on other things knowing Mike will continue the treatment she recommends.

So...driving to Bend every 3 weeks for PT and sport massage treatment.  Lots of strength/mobility work.  Running as time/weather/pain allows.  It's mostly easy social running but hopefully enough to maintain at least a bit of my fitness base.  Swimming once a week.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Resilience Empty Re: Resilience

Post  ounce Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:15 am

Boy, that's a laundry list of things to do daily. I would encourage you to keep your protein intake around 90 grams/day, so you give the internal construction crew enough raw material to repair and create muscle cells.

Enjoy the trekking and your travel bucket list.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:49 am

ounce wrote:Boy, that's a laundry list of things to do daily.  I would encourage you to keep your protein intake around 90 grams/day, so you give the internal construction crew enough raw material to repair and create muscle cells.

I never mentioned trekking in my post.  Laughing Laughing  You know me well.

I agree that protein intake and my diet in general is important.  I need to keep an eye on my intake of processed carbs not just for weight control but to prevent inflammation which is a big risk factor for vulnerable plaque.  It probably wouldn't hurt if I limited my morning coffee intake a bit as well.  Wink

I am spending a lot of time doing the strength and stretching but that needs to be the priority right now...especially when the weather is not conducive to outdoor activities.  I cleaned off the dreadmill yesterday for a walk/run of just 2 miles.  It was HARD.  I always struggle on the treadmill but it's obvious I've lost fitness.  Janice and I dressed warm and grabbed our hiking poles for a couple laps around the park in the afternoon.  It was cold, windy, and icy but it felt good to get outside.  Boy can Janice walk!!  I struggled to keep up so it was a good workout even though it was just walking. 

Another cold, windy, icy day...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Boy, that's a laundry list of things to do daily.  I would encourage you to keep your protein intake around 90 grams/day, so you give the internal construction crew enough raw material to repair and create muscle cells.

I never mentioned trekking in my post.  Laughing Laughing  You know me well.

I agree that protein intake and my diet in general is important.  I need to keep an eye on my intake of processed carbs not just for weight control but to prevent inflammation which is a big risk factor for vulnerable plaque.  It probably wouldn't hurt if I limited my morning coffee intake a bit as well.  Wink

I am spending a lot of time doing the strength and stretching but that needs to be the priority right now...especially when the weather is not conducive to outdoor activities.  I cleaned off the dreadmill yesterday for a walk/run of just 2 miles.  It was HARD.  I always struggle on the treadmill but it's obvious I've lost fitness.  Janice and I dressed warm and grabbed our hiking poles for a couple laps around the park in the afternoon.  It was cold, windy, and icy but it felt good to get outside.  Boy can Janice walk!!  I struggled to keep up so it was a good workout even though it was just walking. 

Another cold, windy, icy day...

Oregon has had some really nasty weather, this week too. Is that just west of the Cascades or did y'all catch some of it, too?

90 grams (shakes finger at you in a motherly way). Processed carbs show up in your triglyceride number. Less than 100 is good. Less than 75 is even better. Less than 50 and you ROCK! I saw where at my age, protein isn't processed as efficiently as when you were in your 50s or younger. So a top end protein number is 1 gram per pound of what your ideal weight SHOULD be.

My total disregard of nutrition ends in the next day or two, since finishing the Half.

Okay, back to work! You're not working to realize your personal goals and objectives!!affraid
Frustration
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:47 pm

Time for an update.

Yes, we did get the nasty weather on this side of the mountains.  COLD.  ICE.  SNOW.  But it has warmed up nicely.  Now we're just dealing with wind and rain.

Other than a few dreadmill runs I wasn't able to run much during the inclement weather.  I did manage to survive a few short dreadmill runs and took the extra time to concentrate on the strength and mobility work assigned by the PT.  I'm back to short, easy runs outside but I'm realizing that with the effort I'm putting into PT I can't run as much as I'd like.  It just makes the hamstring to sore.  Siri (PT) has advised me that I can run as long as I'm continuing to improve and/or recovering within 24 hours.  If pain increases and doesn't return to previous levels within 24 hours I need to listen to my body and take an extra rest day...or two.  I was in that situation last weekend.  I ended up skipping my run on Saturday and taking my normal rest day on Sunday.  As a result the pain during normal daily activities declined slightly...but the discomfort while sitting hung on.

Yesterday was PT day.  45 minutes with Siri and then a sport massage with Mike.  They worked me over pretty hard.  But they did both confirm that I seem to be making progress.  It's going to be slow and it's going to take some hard work but I'm much more positive that it's achievable than I've ever been in the past.  The weather was gorgeous yesterday and on my drive home I was looking forward to a nice afternoon run.  But...the soreness from the PT and massage increased as time passed.  I realized that running was NOT a good idea and uncharacteristically for me I listened to my body and their advice and refrained from running...for a third day in a row.

I think hope I finally found the right PT.  She seems to be treating the cause of my problem rather than just treating the symptoms.  I don't know how many times I've rested and done the advised exercises only to have the same issue reappear as soon as I resume running.  Siri is concentrating on building the strength and mobility I need to be able to run injury free while we're working on resolving the pain by dealing with the old scar tissue.  And as an added bonus all the things she is having me do are things that both Marty and I should be doing as we age if we want to remain active.  Balance.  Mobility.  Core strength.  All pretty basic stuff but it's harder than it looks!!!

I did my strength and mobility work this morning and now I'm off for a short easy run with Janice.  She keeps my pace in check and provides companionship.   Smile

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Well, I think you're dealing with your scar tissue at a time (a proper time) when you're not training for anything, so there's no desire or pressure to fix something without losing the level of training during a training cycle. In fact, fixing your hamstring IS your training cycle until it's fixed, in my opinion. I don't think that would come as much of a surprise to you. Your running part of your brain is affraid or Shocked at such a statement. But, you've put off fixing your hammie for many decades and the tax collector is at the door.

Time to pay up. Money

Keep doing what you're doing and maybe ask Siri if you could put heat or ice or alternate for the ride home after PT and massage.

Do your part and let your hammie be your guide.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:11 pm

I ran 7 miles today.  Not totally pain free, but felt pretty good.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm making progress...slow progress...but progress.  cheers

I've had some rough days.  The amount of strength work I'm doing is both time consuming and exhausting.  But I'm starting to notice an increase in strength and mobility.  I'm even doing the exercises that require balance and stability a bit better.  Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Coach Melissa is keeping my running schedule very flexible and that's a good thing as there are days when I just can't run as much as I'd like.  My legs are just not able to respond after all the strength work.

I'm signed up for the Dam Run on Sunday.  We're running 5 miles.  It won't really be a race as I think I'll need to stay with Janice but that's fine.  Janice has a short group run followed by coffee organized for tomorrow.  And we now have 5 people squeezing in to carpool to the race.  Good thing I have Janice to organize my social life...

I'll update you after the run.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:29 pm

That's really nice about the 7! I think your running can be equated to oxycodone. That's your drug. It's mine, too, but my access to running has been paired back to a 'low dose.' Yet, ensure you don't OD. Resistance training will definitely help with that. I don't think you'll overdo resistance and mobility training. Janice will be your resistance training governor.

As long as you enjoy it, you'll do fine. Just let the healing progress.

Enjoy that Dam Run!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:23 pm

ounce wrote:That's really nice about the 7!  I think your running can be equated to oxycodone.  That's your drug.  It's mine, too, but my access to running has been paired back to a 'low dose.'  Yet, ensure you don't OD.  Resistance training will definitely help with that.  I don't think you'll overdo resistance and mobility training.  Janice will be your resistance training governor.

As long as you enjoy it, you'll do fine.  Just let the healing progress.

Enjoy that Dam Run!
That's not a bad analogy Doug.  lol

That Dam Run went pretty well today.  I paced Janice through mile 4.5.  At that point she could see the stadium and was familiar with the finish.  She assured me she would be fine so I took off.  Her goal was to finish under a 12 minute pace.  She far exceeded her goal.

Overall 5.11 miles @ 11:23 58:09.  Not sure of Janice's time/pace but she wasn't far behind.
  1. 11:40
  2. 11:52 (a couple small hills)
  3. 11:34
  4. 11:28 (we passed 3 young ladies and Janice was determined to beat them)
  5. 10:41 (my pace...I think Janice logged 10:59)
  6. @8:41 (my pace)

After we finished we walked back to meet up with Norma and walked her in.

It was a small event and unorganized...as usual...but it was a fun morning.  No results.

I don't think I overdid it but I will admit that my hamstring was not happy on the drive home.  It seems to have settled down okay.  I'll take it easy tomorrow.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:52 pm

Seems like you found your measuring stick on your way back to a happy hammie. To wit, if the hammie isn't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Do you feel any signs that your hamstring is whining or cranky during a run or is it only when you're sitting in a chair of any type? It wouldn't be very nice of the hammie, if the only pain comes when you're sitting for a while.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:13 pm

ounce wrote:Seems like you found your measuring stick on your way back to a happy hammie.  To wit, if the hammie isn't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Do you feel any signs that your hamstring is whining or cranky during a run or is it only when you're sitting in a chair of any type?  It wouldn't be very nice of the hammie, if the only pain comes when you're sitting for a while.
Still struggling with the hamstring.  It was very unhappy after the 5 miler last weekend so I dialed back on running this week...which was an easy decision as the snow returned mid-week and is still on the ground.  Dialing back on running hasn't diminished the pain.

The difficult decision was the Heart to Start event that is taking place today.   I realized last weekend that I am not very good at just participating.  And participation would have entailed driving 3 hours each way over the mountain pass in winter weather warning conditions.  I cancelled my hotel and stayed home.  I've been in a fowl mood ever since.  I know it was the right decision but I don't like changing plans...the word quitter comes to mind.  As I said...I know it was the right decision but that doesn't make it any easier.

So...this week was a couple easy walks/runs before the snow hit and then swimming and aqua jogging.  I have continued my strength and mobility training and continue to find it challenging.  My schedule is as follows...
  • Daily stretching (10 minutes) as prescribed by the PT.  Done each evening in front of the TV with Marty.
  • Daily mobility (15-20 minutes).  Video each morning with Marty. A new program I decided to try called Dynamic Runner.
  • 3 x/week PT strength work as prescribed by the PT.  I've progressed from no weight to a 6lb ankle weight and added single leg deadlifts (tippy birds lol) and some balance work on the Bosu Ball.  It takes a full 40 minutes and leaves my legs exhausted!
  • 3 x/week Dynamic Runner strength (25-30 minutes).  Video with Marty...mornings.  We started with the beginner level which is/was quite easy but with everything else I'm doing was plenty.  It's getting more difficult and we'll progress to the intermediate level next month.

I have noticed marked improvement in both strength and mobility...but I've got a couple niggles in my knees that have me a bit concerned.  And my right hip flexor is a bit unhappy again.  Hamstring pain has not declined.  I'll talk to Siri at my PT appointment on Monday. 

As far as the hamstring pain.  I can obviously run and complete my strength work but there is noticeable discomfort during those activities.  It seems to come and go and is a bit better once I warm up but it never goes away.  It's sitting that is unbearable.  For some reason I can sit at my desk without much discomfort but sitting in the car is pure misery.  I wiggle around but can't find a comfortable position.  At times I just have to stop and get out and walk for a couple minutes but it provides very temporary relief.  

So...that's my situation at present.  I'm sitting in the house looking outside at the snow and wishing I could run...knowing that I did my strength and mobility work this morning and that's what I need to do to return to healthy running.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:53 am

Quick update after my PT appointment and sport massage yesterday.

I'm cattywampus again. Crying or Very sad  Siri thinks that's the cause of the increased hip flexor discomfort the past week.  But she said she was able to adjust and get me back in line pretty easily...a good sign.  I'm back to doing the 5 minute twice daily exercises that I did at the start...only until it feels "normal" as if I continue them to long I'll put myself out of line in the opposite direction.  I'm continuing with all the strength and mobility work and increasing weights as able.  She reminded me that it will be a looooong process.  She did note significant gains in both strength and mobility.  Very Happy

Siri also went out to the parking lot with me and suggested some changes to make driving/riding in the car more comfortable.  StirPot

Not running primarily due to snow and dangerous road conditions...and absolutely no motivation to run on the dreadmill.

SORE today after the sport massage.  What a Face

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:59 pm

nkrichards wrote:Quick update after my PT appointment and sport massage yesterday.

I'm cattywampus again. Crying or Very sad  Siri thinks that's the cause of the increased hip flexor discomfort the past week.  But she said she was able to adjust and get me back in line pretty easily...a good sign.  I'm back to doing the 5 minute twice daily exercises that I did at the start...only until it feels "normal" as if I continue them to long I'll put myself out of line in the opposite direction.  I'm continuing with all the strength and mobility work and increasing weights as able.  She reminded me that it will be a looooong process.  She did note significant gains in both strength and mobility.  Very Happy

Siri also went out to the parking lot with me and suggested some changes to make driving/riding in the car more comfortable.  StirPot

Not running primarily due to snow and dangerous road conditions...and absolutely no motivation to run on the dreadmill.

Ultreya...
I guess you know what your "normal" is?

Would making snow angels be helpful?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:50 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Quick update after my PT appointment and sport massage yesterday.

Ultreya...
I guess you know what your "normal" is?

Would making snow angels be helpful?
Not sure there is any such thing as normal for me.   Laughing  bounce

I am feeling a bit better since she adjusted my pelvis and I started the exercises to encourage things to stay in alignment.

I was on my own for swimming this morning as Janice is traveling.  I got in a really good cardio workout.  It felt good to push myself.  

Snow is still hanging on but I think we're going to be able to find safe places to run for Workout Wednesday this afternoon.  I'll need to make sure I take it easy and don't try to keep up with the kids!  It's the last workout with the kids as they start track practice next week.  They won't let adults on the track with the kids.  We're hoping to continue to have an adult workout Wednesdays after the kids are done for the day.  Not sure if we'll have enough participation to keep it going.

No snow angels for me...snow is cold and wet!

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:52 pm

Suspect
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:14 pm

I went to Workout Wednesday yesterday.  I did not take it easy.  lol  I realize that is not in my DNA!  

But...I had fun.  I could not keep up with the kids for most of the workout...and didn't try to.  But as they tired I realized that I could push a bit and as a result they would push a bit harder.  (A few of the kids were really dogging it.)  It worked.  They were not about to let an old lady beat them.   Twisted Evil

I only pushed "to hard" in a the last couple intervals but I'm paying for it today.  No harm done...I don't think.  But I am going to have to take it easy today!

The big win here was that I enjoyed running!  Running cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:I went to Workout Wednesday yesterday.  I did not take it easy.  lol  I realize that is not in my DNA!  

But...I had fun.  I could not keep up with the kids for most of the workout...and didn't try to.  But as they tired I realized that I could push a bit and as a result they would push a bit harder.  (A few of the kids were really dogging it.)  It worked.  They were not about to let an old lady beat them.   Twisted Evil

I only pushed "to hard" in a the last couple intervals but I'm paying for it today.  No harm done...I don't think.  But I am going to have to take it easy today!

The big win here was that I enjoyed running!  Running cheers

That's so funny. Sometimes, it feels good to feel bad afterwards. You got some track rep with those youngsters. I'm sure their coach enjoyed your extra effort, too!

Frustration
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:16 pm

I've finally been able to put together a couple of better runs.  Nothing for the record books but at least I'm back to a more reasonable pace/distance.  
  • 5.4 miles with Janice on Monday @ 12:07  Not great but a bit longer and no walking.  Smile
  • I did a double today.  I ran 3 miles solo @ 11:21 and then met up with Janice and we did 3.5 together @ 11:55.

Feeling pretty beat up after all the strength and mobility work on top of the running but I'm starting to adapt.  Hamstring still not happy but maybe a slight improvement...or just wishful thinking.  Who knows.

The kids started official track practice this week.  Adults aren't allowed on the track during practice so we'll do Workout Wednesday after they finish.  The later time should be better for working adults and the weather is improving a bit.  I'm not sure our community has enough runners/walkers to support the program with sufficient numbers to justify keeping it going.  We won't know unless we try.

The Madras Runners community challenge starts in April.  Free.  Untimed. A route to run or walk each week for 4 weeks.  Participants are eligible for a drawing for local gift cards.  Goal is to increase activity and encourage healthy lifestyle in our community.

The public health department is organizing a weight loss challenge again.  It started last week.  The theme is running this year.  They are publicizing both Workout Wednesday and the Madras Runners challenge.  They are also coordinating the end with the Todd Beamer Run on July 4th.  We're promoting their program to runners/walkers.  Maybe together we can help people develop healthy habits. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:25 pm

I think an update is overdue!

I think...cautious optimism...I'm starting to see some improvement.  I'm not going to pretend that the hamstring is pain free but I think it's improving.

I've been gradually upping the weights I use for my PT strength work and have been very consistent with the strength, stretching, and mobility work.  Siri and I are both seeing the results of that work in the form of increased strength and mobility.  I'm proud of myself.  Very Happy

Running is going a bit better as well.  I'm not pushing the intensity much yet but I have completed a few faster intervals during Workout Wednesday and pushed a couple miles a bit faster on Tuesday mornings when I split my run doing the first 3 solo before meeting up with Janice for the second 3.  I was cautious for my first 8 miler...doing it in the form of 2 x (3.75 with .25 walk).  The next week I battled the wind and did a non-stop 8.   Running  Siri is pleased with my progress and gave me the go ahead to try a 10 miler.

Weather and life are both challenging at the moment but I'm trying to concentrate on the good days! sunny

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:55 am

nkrichards wrote:I think an update is overdue!

I think...cautious optimism...I'm starting to see some improvement.  I'm not going to pretend that the hamstring is pain free but I think it's improving.

I've been gradually upping the weights I use for my PT strength work and have been very consistent with the strength, stretching, and mobility work.  Siri and I are both seeing the results of that work in the form of increased strength and mobility.  I'm proud of myself.  Very Happy

Running is going a bit better as well.  I'm not pushing the intensity much yet but I have completed a few faster intervals during Workout Wednesday and pushed a couple miles a bit faster on Tuesday mornings when I split my run doing the first 3 solo before meeting up with Janice for the second 3.  I was cautious for my first 8 miler...doing it in the form of 2 x (3.75 with .25 walk).  The next week I battled the wind and did a non-stop 8.   Running  Siri is pleased with my progress and gave me the go ahead to try a 10 miler.

Weather and life are both challenging at the moment but I'm trying to concentrate on the good days! sunny

Ultreya...

I'm glad you're not pushing the intensity. You get in trouble for that. Maybe the weather is your governor on effort. Nice weather isn't far away from you! Continue running as if you suddenly saw a pretty something and took time to take it in...running as transportation, not exercise to an end goal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:36 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I think an update is overdue!

Ultreya...

I'm glad you're not pushing the intensity.  You get in trouble for that.  Maybe the weather is your governor on effort.  Nice weather isn't far away from you!  Continue running as if you suddenly saw a pretty something and took time to take it in...running as transportation, not exercise to an end goal.
I intended to update earlier but just couldn't find the time.

I tackled a 10 miler last week and a 2nd 10miler this week and handled both very well.  Not super fast but fast enough.  And more importantly I recovered well and didn't experience any additional hamstring pain.  I also ran a 4x800 last week with the intervals at HMP.  It also went extremely well...I was nervous!

I missed a couple of my PT workouts last week just due to family stuff getting in the way but I'll get at least one made up this afternoon.  

The hamstring is holding steady at the moment.  I saw some improvement a couple weeks ago and now it's just hanging out trying to decide if it should continue to mend or hold out and keep me guessing.  Improvement will be slow and may come in spits and spats...

In the bright side I handled the 10 mile runs much better than expected.  I didn't struggle as much as expected the last couple miles AND the legs weren't sore and tired the next day as they have been after long runs in the past.  I'm hoping that it's the result of the strength work and PT I've been doing...

Ultreya...

Hey...if you didn't hear about the results of the Barkley Marathon you should google it.   affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:24 pm

Normal is just a setting on the dryer, right?

Thankful your hamstring is behaving. I hope some people find that challenge and develop an enjoyment of walking or running or some sort of movement and can develop some healthier habits. Some people are scornful of people trying things, but I think, everyone was a beginner at one point and maybe it'll stick for a few of them, so why not?

I did look up Barkley! I went down a Barkley rabbit hole last year and it was amazing. I do understand why someone would do it, but man...that's intense. I watched a few John Kelly interviews, too. He's something else.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:23 pm

I saw the photos on Strava about setting up the course for the Madras Runners Challenge. They were cute. I was thinking about the chalk and the asphalt path. Maybe you could get your artists to draw different size feet on the path. Paul Bunyon, Sasquatch, a dog, cougar, duck, etc. HUGE feet with smaller critter's feet in the huge feet.

Just a thought. Maybe next year.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm

Woah...it's been a month since I updated here.  No wonder Mark is still the top poster.  I could list lots of excuses but you all know what it's like and that was complicated by my computer being out of commission for the last couple weeks.  It's amazing how much I rely on it.  I can do most everything on my phone but I don't like to...it's just awkward.  Anyway...my apologies...and here is a quick update.  Not sure where to start.

I'm still going to PT for the hamstring on a regular basis.  I'm making progress but it's not always linear.  I have good days and bad.  Siri said there has to be a reason that it's still painful.  We just have to figure out what the reason is and fix it.  I am able to recognize when my pelvis gets out of alignment and correct that but that hasn't totally fixed things.  She checked some other things yesterday and realized my hips aren't moving in the socket correctly.  We spent the entire session working on that...it was hard work for both of us...and I left tired and sore.  I'm pleased she hasn't given up on me!

Running is actually going okay but I am obviously not in the same shape I was this time last year.  I'm up to 11 miles for my long runs and handling them okay.  We've started to add back in some speedwork...in small doses.  I managed to sneak onto the middle school track yesterday for 2x(400-800-400).  It was fun to run on the track.  It was late start Monday so the kids weren't at school but I was nervous that security would show up and not be happy to see me.  My daughter-in-law is the principle but I think they would bypass her and haul me to jail.   affraid

Madras Runners have been active with the Spring Challenge runs.  This is the last week.  We've had good turnout each week and are hearing good things.  We're also trying to transition Workout Wednesdays into a year round event and be more inclusive to adults and walkers.  We have a small but dedicated group right now plus a few that show up occasionally.  It will be interesting to see if our participation grows as word gets out, the weather improves, and the days get longer.  Mario has big dreams of developing something like Bend has on Tuesday evenings but we're not Bend.  I can see our biggest potential in advocating healthy habits...mostly walking.  But we're having fun.

Weather is improving a bit...COLD mornings but nice afternoons with the typical Central Oregon winds.  Farming is getting busy.  Life is still stressful and demanding but I'm doing okay.

That's enough for today.  No promises but I'll try to make updating here part of my routine going forward.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 am

Howdy.

Would a MRI of the hamstring help?  Or some imaging?  Seems like you've done that already.  Or is it that you just have to find that cocklebur on the underside of the saddle?

Regarding the Madras round-em-up and exercise, could you do a couch to fill-in-the-blank program?

Wish I could contribute to the hamstring thing.  I'm sure you have a good running plan that will get you to the line in a not too terribly tired state.  Just pace your training.  11 miles ain't hay nor carrot seedlings.

Enjoy the warm weather.  It will get warmer.  We may have had our last <60 degree morning, this morning.

I'm like you regarding checks.  I never got instructions on how to do a batch of ACH payments.  Sure love them on paydays, though.  But I never liked payments going to a lockbox because the remittance advice somehow doesn't get copied correctly, so you have to call the customer to send the remittance advice to you.  I don't think the day you gain in getting a check deposited is worth the angst of applying the money to the customer's invoices.  If you're that tight on funds, you have to play the float better.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum