365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Training for Life

5 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Just Training for Life Empty Just Training for Life

Post  nkrichards Wed May 17, 2023 2:04 pm

I was running along the rim enjoying the mountain views last Friday when a friend and old training partner rode past and asked what I was training for.  Without thinking I responded "Just training for life."  I didn't mention the 10K I'm running in June, or the half I'm running in September, or even the marathon I'm running in December.  I realized yesterday that it was the third time I'd responded in the same way recently.  Maybe I should listen to my own advice.

• I started my running career in 2007 in an effort to improve my quality of life so that I would be able to enjoy spending active time with my grandchildren.
  • My running/triathlon career has helped me keep my weight under control, be fit enough to enjoy spur of the moment activities, have the fitness to enjoy some awesome hikes, and meet/spend time with some awesome friends.
  • Dr. Baggish indicated that running didn't cause my heart attack but actually probably saved my life.
  • Dr. B suggested that I run for the experience/fun rather than the times.  I joked that I had more fun when I ran faster.  But I did eventually realize that I could slow down and run with friends and have just as much...if not more fun.

I'm not going to try to convince you that I don't want to run a BQ.  I do.  
I'm not going try to convince you that I don't want to go back to Boston.  I do.
I'm not going to try to convince you that I am going to stop giving my all during training and racing.  I'm not.

What I am going to do is try to accept the fact that not all of my dreams will come true.  Life sometimes throws you a curve ball and you need to be ready to react and adjust.  I'm not going to give up on my dream...yet.  What I am going to do is put myself in the best position possible to achieve my BQ goal.  I am going to work hard.  But if it doesn't happen...well it doesn't happen.  Running another BQ does not define my worth as a runner or as a person.

Running has given me the opportunity to
  • Run with my children and grandchildren.
  • Travel to fun events.
  • Complete a half ironman.
  • Qualify for Boston.
  • Finish Boston.
  • Support Janice's running goals.
  • Run with the Madras High School track team.
  • Wear a MHS team sweatshirt while cheering on my new high school friends.
  • Serve on the MADras Runnner's board promoting a healthy lifestyle in my community.
  • Learn more about my health.
  • Survive a heart attack and come back strong.
  • Extend my life.
  • Improve the quality of my life.
  • And all the while I've had fun!

This blog is not about giving up.  But it is about prioritizing health and happiness over time goals.  

It's about Just Training for Life
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Just Training for Life Empty Re: Just Training for Life

Post  Mark B Wed May 17, 2023 6:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:
This blog is not about giving up

In fact, it sounds to me like this blog is going to be about NOT giving up. 

Isn't it funny how the side benefits to all this training and racing we've all done over the years (the fitness, health, camaraderie, stress relief, etc., etc.) end up being the biggest, most important parts of the whole endeavor? It really is about the journey. Glad you're (and we're) still on it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed May 17, 2023 7:07 pm

One of my hospital's mottos is "enjoy the journey" and I think of that.

Sometimes someone during a marathon comments that I'm smiling and they say "she looks like she's having fun" and I say " every run is a fun run" because it sort of is. Really thankful to have it, thankful for the running friends and all the things that come along with that.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 17, 2023 11:17 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Isn't it funny how the side benefits to all this training and racing we've all done over the years (the fitness, health, camaraderie, stress relief, etc., etc.) end up being the biggest, most important parts of the whole endeavor? It really is about the journey. Glad you're (and we're) still on it.
Is it that obvious?  Am I that transparent?  I'm trying to convince myself that I have enough stress in my life right now and I don't need to stress about running a BQ.  How am I going to convince myself if I can't even fool you!

And, yes...I'm glad we're all still here to support each other even if we don't post as often as we used to.  
And I'm especially glad that we're all still plugging away at this think called life.
Julie wrote:One of my hospital's mottos is "enjoy the journey" and I think of that.

Sometimes someone during a marathon comments that I'm smiling and they say "she looks like she's having fun" and I say " every run is a fun run" because it sort of is. Really thankful to have it, thankful for the running friends and all the things that come along with that.
Running has just become a part of who I am.  I would never have imagined that I would someday run to live and live to run.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 18, 2023 4:25 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I have not been able to stop thinking about this...even after responding last night!

The whole point of this blog is to help me realize and acknowledge that at some point I may have to give up on a dream/goal that is not only unattainable but not healthy.  If you are saying that I'm not at that point yet then well...okay.  But if you're saying I won't accept that when it becomes evident or that I won't ever reach that point then I think I have a problem.  I agree that I'm not ready to give up...yet.  But I do think I need to realize that at some point I may have to.  I have enough stress in my life right now.  I don't need the added stress of running a BQ...  I'd like to put my BQ goal and the related stress on hold till my life settles down a bit.  I haven't been able to do that.  Can I run for the current (life) benefits and prioritize a BQ at a later date.  I don't know.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 18, 2023 7:10 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I have not been able to stop thinking about this...even after responding last night!

The whole point of this blog is to help me realize and acknowledge that at some point I may have to give up on a dream/goal that is not only unattainable but not healthy.  If you are saying that I'm not at that point yet then well...okay.  But if you're saying I won't accept that when it becomes evident or that I won't ever reach that point then I think I have a problem.  I agree that I'm not ready to give up...yet.  But I do think I need to realize that at some point I may have to.  I have enough stress in my life right now.  I don't need the added stress of running a BQ...  I'd like to put my BQ goal and the related stress on hold till my life settles down a bit.  I haven't been able to do that.  Can I run for the current (life) benefits and prioritize a BQ at a later date.  I don't know.

I feel ya. I once wrote that "I'm the roadkill at the intersection of ambition and ability." My dreams and ambitions have far outstripped my ability to achieve them (ie, never was able to BQ*) for so long that it's become second nature for me to find different ways to scratch that itch. Is that giving up? I don't think so. It's adapting. To me, adapting is the fundamental act of not giving up. I understand how it might feel to you, though. And to be completely clear on this: I'm not even thinking of suggesting that you should trim your sails now - or ever. It's your journey. 

*-So, why couldn't I BQ? Could I still BQ now? Who knows? What I do know is that, thanks to my feet, I'm probably not what you'd call biomechanically efficient, and a genetic test I took said I probably have far more fast-twitch muscles than slow-twitchers, which I guess means I was built for sprints and powerlifting, not the one type of activity I most enjoy (figures). And I have never been able to get my weight down to the level to where my VO2Max could get me to the necessary speed required for a BQ. That used to really bother me (and it still does, a little) but the more I learn about this body of mine, the easier it is to handle the disappointment.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 19, 2023 9:50 pm

It's interesting. I think you'd have to decide if it adds good stress or bad stress. Sometimes now I can't believe I ran a 50K just 14 mos after a c-section and 6 weeks prior of strict bedrest, and was nursing twins during that 50K (and training on just a few hours of sleep). Did it add stress? I guess, probably. I remember asking my husband why I didn't take up a hobby like putting together puzzles which would not wear me out so much. But it was good for me and in turn good for my whole family. So maybe you're too stressed out to think about BQ and maybe it'd be a welcome diversion if that's what you really want to do. Sometimes giving up on something is more of a bummer than trying, you know? (But no pressure, whatever you do)
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I feel ya. I once wrote that "I'm the roadkill at the intersection of ambition and ability." My dreams and ambitions have far outstripped my ability to achieve them (ie, never was able to BQ*) for so long that it's become second nature for me to find different ways to scratch that itch. Is that giving up? I don't think so. It's adapting. To me, adapting is the fundamental act of not giving up. I understand how it might feel to you, though. And to be completely clear on this: I'm not even thinking of suggesting that you should trim your sails now - or ever. It's your journey. 

*-So, why couldn't I BQ? Could I still BQ now? Who knows? What I do know is that, thanks to my feet, I'm probably not what you'd call biomechanically efficient, and a genetic test I took said I probably have far more fast-twitch muscles than slow-twitchers, which I guess means I was built for sprints and powerlifting, not the one type of activity I most enjoy (figures). And I have never been able to get my weight down to the level to where my VO2Max could get me to the necessary speed required for a BQ. That used to really bother me (and it still does, a little) but the more I learn about this body of mine, the easier it is to handle the disappointment.
Thanks Mark.  Your comments are really helpful.  I realize how much I enjoyed training for and completing a half ironman when I was struggling to return to running.  I was really proud of that finish.  I guess I adapted my goals.

More importantly your comments made me realize that when I think of you I think of the things you did...your ultra for your 50th birthday, your success at the Eugene marathon, your 12 hour event, the time you spend with Alita, the successful son you raised...I didn't even realize that you were unable to run a BQ.  Huh...guess that didn't define you in my eyes.  

Thanks
Julie wrote:It's interesting. I think you'd have to decide if it adds good stress or bad stress. Sometimes now I can't believe I ran a 50K just 14 mos after a c-section and 6 weeks prior of strict bedrest, and was nursing twins during that 50K (and training on just a few hours of sleep). Did it add stress? I guess, probably. I remember asking my husband why I didn't take up a hobby like putting together puzzles which would not wear me out so much. But it was good for me and in turn good for my whole family. So maybe you're too stressed out to think about BQ and maybe it'd be a welcome diversion if that's what you really want to do. Sometimes giving up on something is more of a bummer than trying, you know? (But no pressure, whatever you do)
Very good point Julie.  I need to make sure that my running is helping me deal with life stresses....not adding to it.  Not ready to start spending my time putting together jigsaw puzzles yet...although I do like puzzles.   Laughing  Part of my problem is that I know Marty worries about me when I run to much...especially after my heart attack.  My struggles at CIM last year didn't help.  I'm just struggling to find the balance between trying hard enough and trying to hard.  I was impressed with your decision to listen to your body and shorten your run especially knowing that the date for your 3 marathon goal is fast approaching.  You're a good example.

Brief update on my actual running.  I ran way to hard on Tuesday.  I had a 4 x 1 mile run on my schedule.  I struggled to reach goal pace and pushed way to hard.  It was warm and I didn't adjust my goals.  I finished.  I did run the last mile at goal pace.  I did not feel well at all and ended up walking a bit of my cool down.  I was home alone and realized I really overdid it.  Hydrated, fueled, rested and was feeling okay by bedtime.  Wednesday was a recovery day.  Took it easy on my morning recovery swim and did a few minutes of very easy core/strength work.  Still didn't feel 100% but better by bedtime Wednesday.

Thursday was an easy run and I opted to do it on the race route in Redmond as I had to go to Redmond for a meeting (half hour drive).  The first few minutes were awful but I eventually loosened up and felt okay.  Kept it easy and went to my board meeting in sweaty stinky running clothes.  No one seemed to mind.

I had a long (14 miler) on my schedule for Friday.  It was supposed to be HOT.  I was nervous.  Set the coffee to go off at 5:00 and promptly fell back asleep.  Now I was really nervous.  Headed to the rim committed to cut it short and/or stop to refuel if needed.  I started conservative and made it through feeling okay.  I did stop for a couple bathroom breaks and slowed a bit more than usual when I picked up my bottles along the way.  Not my best run but under the circumstances I was pleased.  Made sure I took time to hydrate, fuel, and rest the remainder of the day.

Saturday I had a 6 mile recovery run on my schedule.  I planned to meet Janice and Nailan and then go for coffee for Nailan's birthday after the run.  I normally run up the hill and get 1-2 miles under my belt before I meet Janice.  I decided to back off a bit.  I started with Janice and Nailan.  We got in 5 pretty easy miles...lots of talking...and went for coffee.  

I consider my shortened mileage progress.  I didn't stress out to much knowing that I didn't complete my training plan exactly as written this week.  

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 22, 2023 7:21 pm

Everybody has that realization that X ain't never gonna happen.  It happens to some sooner than it does others for a variety of reasons and, more importantly, the timing of the realization.  I knew that I'd never pass the CPA exam after the 2nd try.  But I tried one more time and guaranteed that I'd never pass it.  That was 6 years out of college.  Running was something others did.  It only became something I did 24 years out of college.

We have different aspirations and motivations.

On CBS Mornings, they sometimes have a segment called "Notes to my younger self" where they have a pretty well known person write down and narrate what they would tell their 18 year old self about what to be on watch for or X person will do something that will change your life forever.  After the piece, they dissolve the story to the set where the anchors sit.  They're all immersed in the story, just seen, and someone speaks in their ear or the floor manager points at the teleprompter to read it.  The stories are quite moving.

We all could probably do one of those, privately.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Do this, instead of that.  Or just let it roll without change.  Myself, I would go back to August 1964, when I was 7 and make one little change that would (or not) have the potential to radically change my last 57 years.  Nothing illegal happened then, but I think things would've been so much different.  When I get to heaven, I'm going to see if there's a holodeck (you know...Star Trek) where I can make that little change.

All any of us can do is to play the hand we're dealt and have that ace up our sleeve ready to play at the right time.  I still have my ace and in spite of how things occur, I'm ready and rarin' to prove that I can still splash, when I'm not supposed to even be in the pool.

Bet you didn't expect to read that under my name.

Nancy, how did today's activities go?  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

Glad you didn't robotically run yourself into the ground when conditions changed, Nancy. The extra recovery period probably helped as much as the workout would have.

(And thanks on not seeing me in the "BQ or not" paradigm, though I'm reasonably confident that the only person who ever cared about it even a little bit is tying this message right now.  Wink )

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 24, 2023 8:01 pm

ounce wrote:Everybody has that realization that X ain't never gonna happen.  It happens to some sooner than it does others for a variety of reasons and, more importantly, the timing of the realization.  I knew that I'd never pass the CPA exam after the 2nd try.  But I tried one more time and guaranteed that I'd never pass it.  That was 6 years out of college.  Running was something others did.  It only became something I did 24 years out of college.

We have different aspirations and motivations.

On CBS Mornings, they sometimes have a segment called "Notes to my younger self" where they have a pretty well known person write down and narrate what they would tell their 18 year old self about what to be on watch for or X person will do something that will change your life forever.  After the piece, they dissolve the story to the set where the anchors sit.  They're all immersed in the story, just seen, and someone speaks in their ear or the floor manager points at the teleprompter to read it.  The stories are quite moving.

We all could probably do one of those, privately.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Do this, instead of that.  Or just let it roll without change.  Myself, I would go back to August 1964, when I was 7 and make one little change that would (or not) have the potential to radically change my last 57 years.  Nothing illegal happened then, but I think things would've been so much different.  When I get to heaven, I'm going to see if there's a holodeck (you know...Star Trek) where I can make that little change.

All any of us can do is to play the hand we're dealt and have that ace up our sleeve ready to play at the right time.  I still have my ace and in spite of how things occur, I'm ready and rarin' to prove that I can still splash, when I'm not supposed to even be in the pool.

Bet you didn't expect to read that under my name.

Nancy, how did today's activities go?  Thanks.
Curious what you did or didn't do at the young age of 7 that you still think may have been life changing.  Hope you get the holodeck opportunity you desire.  Laughing

Yes, we all have coulda, shoulda, woulda thoughts.

At some point I'll either run that BQ or accept the fact that it's not in the cards and I'll move on.  In the meantime I'll try and enjoy life and the joy that running brings.

My speedwork this week went much better.  I finished exhausted but it was a good, I worked hard for those paces type of exhaustion.  I jogged home feeling tired as expected.  Last week by contrast I felt sick and scared.  I didn't like that feeling.  It was a bit cooler this week but I think it was more than just the heat last week.  I survived to run again...

Thanks for the input.
Mark B wrote:Glad you didn't robotically run yourself into the ground when conditions changed, Nancy. The extra recovery period probably helped as much as the workout would have.

(And thanks on not seeing me in the "BQ or not" paradigm, though I'm reasonably confident that the only person who ever cared about it even a little bit is tying this message right now.  Wink )
Good speedwork run on Tuesday.  I've been making sure I keep my easy runs easy this week and I'm enjoying running again.

I think we all judge ourselves much harsher than others do.

Tuesday speedwork.  1.5 mi warmup.  8x600 @8:56-9:04  400 rest.  1.5 mile cooldown.  Interval paces 9:06,9:04,8:58,8:59,8:55,8:58,8:51,8:52.  I hit the paces perfectly but more importantly I finished knowing I could run one more but very glad I didn't have to...and jogging home feeling tired but fine.

I've been doing my easy runs with Janice.  She helps me keep the pace easy...and I also enjoy chatting as we run.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm

nkrichards wrote:I think we all judge ourselves much harsher than others do.

True... but to be completely honest, I don't think I ever viewed the lack of a BQ on my permanent record as a failure, or even a disappointment.

It just made me mad.

I came to see the BQ standard as an arbitrary, elitist and exclusionary barrier to entry that effectively divides us into two camps: "real/serious" runners and the rest. 

Sour grapes can be delicious at times, though I admit it's not my most virtuous quality. Wink

Anyway, I'm glad you got to Boston and I really do hope you get there again.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 26, 2023 9:11 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I think we all judge ourselves much harsher than others do.

True... but to be completely honest, I don't think I ever viewed the lack of a BQ on my permanent record as a failure, or even a disappointment.

It just made me mad.

I came to see the BQ standard as an arbitrary, elitist and exclusionary barrier to entry that effectively divides us into two camps: "real/serious" runners and the rest. 

Sour grapes can be delicious at times, though I admit it's not my most virtuous quality. Wink

Anyway, I'm glad you got to Boston and I really do hope you get there again.
Thanks Mark...we'll see what life brings.

Tough day yesterday as we had a meeting with the accountant.  I didn't sleep great.

But...I was in my happy place this morning.  Gorgeous weather, fabulous views of the mountains...no eagles soaring but that's okay.  I got a nice couple hours of "me time" and I needed it.  I had 11 miles on my training plan including 2x3mi @ HMP 9:40-9:45.  (It seems like Melissa has snuck in a bit faster HMP than my marathon goal indicates but I guess it's my fault after running a fast half last fall.)  Anyway...I didn't worry about getting an early start even though I knew it was going to get a bit warm.  My 10K in June is a mid-morning start so some warmer running will do me good.  Finished the first hard 3 mile interval in 9:45.  Perfect.  But it did get warm.  And I did get tired.  As I transitioned into the 3rd mile in the second hard interval I realized I was below the desired pace and I was already pushing the effort.  I was able to speed up a bit and dropped the pace to 9:43 by the end of the 3rd mile.  Just barely got my negative split.  I walked a couple paces and then eased into my cool down.  An old friend caught me on his bike so I stopped to chat.  He helped me remember that life is about the journey not the destination and I need to remember to enjoy the journey.  I really am quite fortunate.  Then wondered if I was going to be able to get my legs to carry me the half mile back to my car.  What a Face  They did eventually loosen back up.

It was a good day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 27, 2023 4:46 pm

Glad your run went well. You certainly pushed yourself but we able to enjoy it all the same. Good job!

Any post with the word accountant in it is pale but I hope the news isn't too bad.

Oh, how is your water situation shaping up? Better, I hope?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 28, 2023 11:25 am

Mark B wrote:Glad your run went well. You certainly pushed yourself but we able to enjoy it all the same. Good job!

Any post with the word accountant in it is pale but I hope the news isn't too bad.

Thanks Mark.  It was a good run.  The running isn't a problem as much as the life stresses that I'm dealing with at this point in time.  I need running to help me cope with those stresses...just want to make sure that I utilize running to help not hurt at this point.  And I need to recognize when those life stresses affect my running and just accept it.

The visit to the accountant wasn't bad news.  He's just helping guide us through a family situation that is quite complicated and difficult.  Things are going to be really tough for the remainder of 2023 and if I survive 2023 I should be back in a better situation.  Details in my old blog if you're curious but not really important.

The water situation is better.  Not great...it will take a couple wet years to completely recover...but definitely better.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Glad your run went well. You certainly pushed yourself but we able to enjoy it all the same. Good job!

Thanks Mark.  It was a good run.  The running isn't a problem as much as the life stresses that I'm dealing with at this point in time.  I need running to help me cope with those stresses...just want to make sure that I utilize running to help not hurt at this point.  And I need to recognize when those life stresses affect my running and just accept it.

The visit to the accountant wasn't bad news.  He's just helping guide us through a family situation that is quite complicated and difficult.  Things are going to be really tough for the remainder of 2023 and if I survive 2023 I should be back in a better situation.  Details in my old blog if you're curious but not really important.

The water situation is better.  Not great...it will take a couple wet years to completely recover...but definitely better.

I'll go spelunking through your old blog to satisfy my curiosity, though I have a hunch what it's about.

----

Edit to add: OK, I'm back. Oof. Not what I expected.

First thing, I'm so sorry about your mom's passing, and for the situation it's placed you in. (Being an executor is tough even in a simple estate.) 

As for the other part goes, all I can say is hang in there. It sounds like you're moving toward a détente sort of solution that will help you and Marty going forward while letting your sons pursue their own path, wherever that may take them. I wish you all the best of luck.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 31, 2023 7:17 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I'll go spelunking through your old blog to satisfy my curiosity, though I have a hunch what it's about.

----

First thing, I'm so sorry about your mom's passing, and for the situation it's placed you in. (Being an executor is tough even in a simple estate.) 

As for the other part goes, all I can say is hang in there. It sounds like you're moving toward a détente sort of solution that will help you and Marty going forward while letting your sons pursue their own path, wherever that may take them. I wish you all the best of luck.
Thanks Mark.  I hate to make excuses but as Coach Melissa says life stresses do affect you physically as well as mentally.  Some days are still pretty tough and it shows.  But Marty and I are starting to identify new dreams and goals that we're excited about.  The feeling that I've lost control is one of the toughest to deal with.  As I often tell Melissa...keep throwing those challenging training runs at me.  It's what helps to keep me sane.  And if races go well great...if not...there is always tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 31, 2023 10:42 pm

I know this isn't a thought you've entertained, but there's always the Houston marathon in January.  It's mostly flat (from a flatlander perspective), which you may not like, but still, it's very flat by your standards.  Lots of BQs occur here.  You and Marty can have a personal chauffeur from wheels down to wheels up.  Or just you.  A Marriott (with a Texas shaped pool) and a Hilton are attached to the Convention Center.  Many hotels are close by.

And I'll try to finish before you finish.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

----

Thanks Mark.  I hate to make excuses but as Coach Melissa says life stresses do affect you physically as well as mentally.  Some days are still pretty tough and it shows.  But Marty and I are starting to identify new dreams and goals that we're excited about.  The feeling that I've lost control is one of the toughest to deal with.  As I often tell Melissa...keep throwing those challenging training runs at me.  It's what helps to keep me sane.  And if races go well great...if not...there is always tomorrow.

Coach Melissa is one smart cookie. Everything I've ever read (and experienced) points to the fact that life stress -- good or bad -- puts a strain on the system. It counts just as much as a hard workout. The body keeps score. (That's probably why all this job hunt stress for Alec is leaving Alita and I a lot more wiped out than usual.) Hang in there!

For what it's worth, I like Doug's idea.  Approval bounce cheers

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:38 pm

ounce wrote:I know this isn't a thought you've entertained, but there's always the Houston marathon in January.  It's mostly flat (from a flatlander perspective), which you may not like, but still, it's very flat by your standards.  Lots of BQs occur here.  You and Marty can have a personal chauffeur from wheels down to wheels up.  Or just you.  A Marriott (with a Texas shaped pool) and a Hilton are attached to the Convention Center.  Many hotels are close by.

And I'll try to finish before you finish.
Thanks for the offer.  I'll definitely keep it in mind.  We'll see how things go this summer and decide before it's to late to register...when would that be?  I'm registered for CIM this year but a change of scenery might be good for me.

Thanks!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:17 am

It's Sunday, January 15.  It will be warmer than you're used to (more than likely) as 45 degrees and sunrise occurring at 7 a.m. with a high in the 60s.  Corral starts.

Home - Chevron Houston Marathon
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 pm

ounce wrote:It's Sunday, January 15.  It will be warmer than you're used to (more than likely) as 45 degrees and sunrise occurring at 7 a.m. with a high in the 60s.  Corral starts.

You could do CIM, which is on Dec. 3, and still be able to do Houston six weeks later. It's a pretty good turnaround for back to back marathons. I did that with Portland and CIM back in the day, holding back a little in the first marathon and going for it in the second and I scored my best improvement in what was my most satisfying marathon. (There's a whole section of Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning devoted to such insanity.)  geek

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:39 am

ounce wrote:It's Sunday, January 15.  It will be warmer than you're used to (more than likely) as 45 degrees and sunrise occurring at 7 a.m. with a high in the 60s.  Corral starts.

It's worth considering...when does it normally fill up?
Mark B wrote:

You could do CIM, which is on Dec. 3, and still be able to do Houston six weeks later. It's a pretty good turnaround for back to back marathons. I did that with Portland and CIM back in the day, holding back a little in the first marathon and going for it in the second and I scored my best improvement in what was my most satisfying marathon. (There's a whole section of Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning devoted to such insanity.)  geek
Not sure I'd want to do it after CIM...more likely instead of if I just didn't feel ready for CIM.  Marty is nervous enough about my running as it is.  Wink

I forgot to respond to Doug's question about Marty...it was a muscle strain in his back.  Long story but I/we believed he strained a muscle by being to aggressive with his stretches.  He's one of those people who think if it doesn't hurt...a lot...then it isn't helping.  But after a couple days of rest it got really bad and he ended up in ER where an MRI showed kidney stones.  So we assumed no muscle strain.  But he's still having trouble off and on.  We are now thinking it was a muscle strain and it hasn't healed completely and the kidney stones were just a coincidence.  He's trying to take it easy on our core/strength days but has not been totally successful.   

Good week.  
My Tuesday SOS run was 2-1.5-1 w/400 rest

Goal pace 2 mi @9:40-9:45  Actual pace 9:44
Goal pace 1.5 mi @9:30-9:35 Actual pace 9:34
Goal pace 1 mi @9:15-9:25 Actual pace 9:18

I had to work hard at that one!

Friday/today was a 14 miler.

Pace 11:17 with a nice negative split even though it was quite warm and I had a bit of DOMS from adding back in the strength work.  Quite pleased.
My first 14 miler of the season was 2 weeks ago @ 11:36

I also meant to add a bit more detail about my reasoning for separating my warm up and cool down from the main portion of my interval runs.  As we all know I tend to run to fast during training.  If I time my warm up and cool down separately it keeps me accountable.  Numbers don't lie and the pace and HR during those portions of the run keep me a bit more honest.  I also utilize Janice when I realize that my easy days aren't easy enough.  She is slower and if I run with her I'm forced to slow down to a more appropriate recovery pace.  Any tool that keeps Fast Freddy at bay is a good tool.

Exhausted and headed to bed.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:17 pm

The full probably will have a few entries remaining, come race weekend.  They don't have an 'entries remaining' email.  The half will fill up first, of course, but that may not be until the Fall.  The full has around 9,000 entries.  Covid sort of killed a lot of momentum to fill the races early.

I got to thinking about my comment that I might be near you at the finish line, but then I remembered that I won't cross the start line for 50 minutes.

There's a family reunion area after the race, but that area is separated from the runners post-race area of finisher's shirts, beer mug (in your case), the hot food area, and the area to reclaim your belongings.

Marty could see and root you on anywhere along the course...of course.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Happy to see some marathon plotting going on here. My PR was about 2 months after my negative split marathon so apparently I had recovered by then. Of course that feels like ancient history because it was 15 years ago.
Running definitely helps eat up stress! Keep at it. When I'm too tired to run, I usually talk myself into getting out the door. And after a few blocks I'm usually able to complete the whole planned run, whatever the distance. So sometimes just getting up and dressed and shoes on is the hardest part.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next