365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Wandering aimlessly...

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Glad you had a good outing.

With you, I think 'slowing down a bit' and 'been busy' are synonymous.  Just a thought. Shocked
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5430
Points : 15329
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I had a bit better week.  I'll have to admit that I'm a bit stiff/sore/tired but it feels good!

Monday - Horseback ride

Tuesday - 30 minute strength workout

Wednesday - 30 minute strength workout, 1300 yard swim

Thursday - Farm Service Agency board meeting...I struggle to sit still through meetings anymore!

Friday - 30 minute strength workout, 1750 yard swim, 3.25 mile run plus another half mile walking with Natalie and the twins  Pace for the run was 11:42 HR 154  I didn't keep this at the easy effort that I wanted.  Felt good to get back out there.  

Saturday - Eagle Bakery group run.  It was rainy and windy so everyone was happy to keep it short.  2.8 miles @ 11:34 HR 146

Sunday - We plan to get a 30 minute strength workout in before church and then a short horseback ride in the afternoon.

It wasn't a big training week but it was a start.  I need to figure out some goals and make a training plan.  Time has been limited but I'll have to admit that motivation has been lacking as well.  Short term goal...Janice invited me to join her and some friends running a 10K on Nov 2nd.  It's a fund raising event with a long history in the area but an event I've never done.  I guess it's flat and low key.  I know I won't be trained to race but it should be fun to do with Janice and friends.

Good to get in a couple runs even if they were relatively short and slow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2481
Points : 8726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm

I knew it had been a few days since I posted but I didn't realize that it had been nearly two weeks!

We've been busy!  Farming.  Family. On the positive side we're making progress with the farm work even though Kevin isn't able to help as much as normal.  I've been doing fun things with the big boys to give Natalie a break and even included Gary's girls.  We've been swimming and hiking.  We brought both our Moms over last weekend for some family time.  We had breakfast with friends, watched Emma's volleyball game, snuggled babies, watched the community play, breakfast at Gary's, and took them home on the way to pizza in Zigzag for my brother's birthday.  It was a busy weekend.

It's been COLD.  11 degrees this morning.  We gave the crew a couple days off.  They needed a break so it worked out well.  
Marty and Gary headed out early this morning for their annual elk hunting trip.  They take the horses and mules and go into the Snake River area with a group of farmers from the area.  It's a tradition Marty really looks forward to.  I'm going to have to do a bit more tractor work than I usually do when he's gone but should still be able to catch up a bit on my to-do list and have a bit of quiet time.

***

Training...yes, but not as much as I'd like.

Marty and I gave up on getting our core/strength workouts in the last few days.  It's just been to hectic.  Got in two last week but nothing so far this week.  I should try some of the workouts he's not to excited about while he's gone...

Swimming has been going well.  Knowing Janice is counting on me being there helps.  Our workouts haven't been really long...1200-1800 yards but we're at least holding on to the fitness we've got.

Running has been hit and miss.  I did manage to get in a couple runs last week and ran yesterday.  They've been mostly 4 mile runs at a pretty slow pace but that's OK.  My hamstring still isn't 100% which has me a bit concerned.  Time sitting in the tractor irritates it.

Haven't been on my bike since the MAC Dash.

So goals moving forward:

  • Keep swimming 2-3 times a week
  • Get back into a routine of running at least 3 times a week
  • Get back into a routine of doing core/strength workouts 3-4 times a week
  • Add in at least one day of stretching (yoga or pilates maybe)
  • Get back to better nutrition habits (drink water, limit sugar, limit coffee)
  • Make sure I'm getting my sleep


We'll see how this goes.  It may be tough to do this time of year as we've got a couple trips planned...nothing overseas this year.  And the holidays make it hard but I'll be happy with small improvements.  I don't need to just flip the switch and be perfect.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2481
Points : 8726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 pm

The hunting looks to be fun, but I'm not a hunter, much less know what not to do and the weather, to boot.  Elks are awfully big and I guess a lot of meat would follow.  I would make a suitable cook.

How are the twins doing, by the way?  Has the lighter one caught up to the heavier one, yet?

How's the rent house fairing?

Wintertime isn't just the best time to be putting in workouts when it's 11 degrees outside.  I wouldn't be too concerned about your hamstring.  There's probably a little scar tissue around it and there's intense muscle cell re-building going on, too.  Maybe use a hard foam roller on it?  Protein feeds the re-building process.

I can tell one thing about your training goals...Fast Freddy ain't there!  Keep at it and maybe stand up and stretch your legs, while tractor racing.

Good luck on Saturday's 10K.  You'll get an idea about the hamstring.  I figured I've asked enough questions, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5430
Points : 15329
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:45 pm

@ounce wrote:The hunting looks to be fun, but I'm not a hunter, much less know what not to do and the weather, to boot.  Elks are awfully big and I guess a lot of meat would follow.  I would make a suitable cook.

How are the twins doing, by the way?  Has the lighter one caught up to the heavier one, yet?

How's the rent house fairing?

Wintertime isn't just the best time to be putting in workouts when it's 11 degrees outside.  I wouldn't be too concerned about your hamstring.  There's probably a little scar tissue around it and there's intense muscle cell re-building going on, too.  Maybe use a hard foam roller on it?  Protein feeds the re-building process.

I can tell one thing about your training goals...Fast Freddy ain't there!  Keep at it and maybe stand up and stretch your legs, while tractor racing.

Good luck on Saturday's 10K.  You'll get an idea about the hamstring.  I figured I've asked enough questions, too.
Elk hunting is more about the camping and packing with the mules than it is about the actual hunting.  I do think they enjoy that part but it's more an excuse to go on a specific date and not postpone it because they are busy.  Marty enjoys the challenge of packing with the animals.  They take a pretty elaborate camp...the tent has a wood stove!  They pack in 12 miles or more and it's pretty steep, rough terrain.  It's also often COLD and wet.  I enjoy riding and packing but I'm a fair weather participant.  I'm glad this is a guys only trip!!

Twins are doing well.  They are both approaching 8 lbs.  Ian has a bit of a tongue tie so doesn't nurse as well.  They supplement with a bottle so he's doing fine.  It's going to be many months before Natalie and Kevin can enjoy a full nights sleep.  Marty suggested that we watch all 5 kids so they could go to dinner or something...I suggested we wait a couple more weeks before we offer... 

The renter seems pleased with the house and we're pleased he's pleased.  He did ask about installing a fireplace insert so that he could have a fire in the evenings.  We priced one and they are pretty expensive...$5000 or so.  Marty suggested we raise the rent a bit to help with payback.  Kevin hasn't visited with the renter yet to see how agreeable he is.  We do have some yard work to do when we have time.  We need to install a chain link fence so he knows where his yard stops and the farm starts and then get some lawn and minimal landscaping done.  He's been patient so far.  We also have a lot of work to do upgrading and maintaining the farmland now that we own it.  We had it surveyed and will build all new fences, clean up the dead trees, huge piles of rocks and abandoned farm equipment, rebuild the corrals, and upgrade the irrigation system as time and money allows.  The owner has been a widow for 30+ years and wouldn't allow us to change things to much when we were leasing the farmland.

I think hope Fast Freddy got bored waiting for me to speed up and decided to leave town.  I'm happy with slower running for now.  I need to rebuild my base before I speed up to much.  Fast Freddy usually just gets me in trouble.  That said I think I'll try to add in a bit of speed soon...maybe just some unstructured intervals at first.

I did enjoy my shirt sleeve run yesterday after hurrying in from the tractor.
5 miles @10:52 HR was 158 avg 179 max Cadence a disappointing 155 (I see an option for improvement)

  1. 11:11 HR 140
  2. 11:19 HR 155
  3. 10:57 HR 160
  4. 10:40 HR 167
  5. 10:07 HR 171


Definitely not a low HR run.   Shocked But it did feel good to put in more effort than I have recently and see a bit faster paces.

My hamstring hasn't gotten any worse so I think once I get back into a good routine it will heal slowly.  It actually feels a bit better this morning.  Standing to stretch while in the tractor isn't an option.  There is a safely device in the seat that shuts everything down if the driver leaves the seat.  It's probably a good idea but is really annoying at times!  I do try to get out and walk around every couple hours even if it's just for a few seconds.

Good swim this morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2481
Points : 8726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:26 pm

So my 10K went better than expected.  It was cold! 28 degrees at the start warming to 35 at the finish but I enjoy cold weather running and warmed up well after the first couple miles.  The sun was out and it wasn't windy...perfect running weather.

I've heard a lot about this event and always thought it was a big event.  Nope.  No chip timing, no published results...I have no idea how many people ran but it wasn't many.  Most were in the 5K.  I'm guessing there were maybe a dozen...20 at the most in the 10K.  Chuck and Janice picked me up.  We had registered online so picked up our bibs and paid our fee quickly and then tried to stay warm.  Chuck ran the 5K.  Janice and I tackled the 10K.

A bit of history.  Chuck was a math teacher and wrestling coach at the high school so I knew him well from that.  Their children were the same age as ours as well.  I didn't get to know Janice until they built the pool in 2008.  She started out running a leg in the MAC Dash and then decided she wanted to learn to swim.  I don't remember how it all transpired but we took a semi-private swim lesson together and have been swimming together ever since.  Janice was diagnosed with a progressive eye disease as a child.  She gradually lost more and more peripheral vision and had to give up driving when her children were still in elementary school.  She's been legally blind since I've known her.  She also has osteoporosis and broke her hip running a marathon before I met her.  She's 73 years old...12 years older than I am...and I struggle to keep up with her.  She swims, runs, attends classes at the gym, volunteers, and bakes delicious bread.  I've decided that when I grow up I want to be like Janice!!

Oh...the race...
The start was on rough gravel for the first quarter mile or so.  Janice struggled a bit but got through the rough section and settled into a good pace on the paved road.  In hindsight we probably started a bit fast as she faded a bit as the race progressed.  We lost of bit of time in mile 4 when Janice slowed to remove her gloves and tie her jacket around her waist.  Lost a bit more time on a very complicated corner when she got confused and nearly missed our turn.  We settled back in and then hit a gravel section that was about half a mile long at the end of mile 5.  She kept up her pace well considering how tentatively she had to run.  We hit the pavement at the start of mile 6.  It was a straight shot to the finish.  Janice was just off her goal pace of 11:00 and said she was going to try and speed up but wasn't sure she could.  She encouraged me to turn her loose and finish at my own pace.  I felt comfortable leaving her...she was being followed by the clean up car as we were the last two runners.  And another runner that had finished earlier actually ran back, ran with us and stayed and finished with her.  So I took off.


  1. 10:42
  2. 10:45
  3. 11:05
  4. 11:27
  5. 11:09
  6. 10:02

     .14 @ 9:26 to finish in 1:06:28 @ 10:50

Really glad I stayed with Janice until we got back to the paved straight road to the finish.  I actually ran pretty close to my capability.  I may have been able to shave off a few seconds but with my limited training it was a good result for me.

Janice finished with a pace of 11:01 just missing her goal.

We both won pies for winning our age groups!  Laughing

It was really a fun morning.  I'm not saying that I don't want to get faster but I'm starting to realize that there is more to life than just speed.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2481
Points : 8726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 am

@nkrichards wrote:So my 10K went better than expected.  It was cold! 28 degrees at the start warming to 35 at the finish but I enjoy cold weather running and warmed up well after the first couple miles.  The sun was out and it wasn't windy...perfect running weather.

I've heard a lot about this event and always thought it was a big event.  Nope.  No chip timing, no published results...I have no idea how many people ran but it wasn't many.  Most were in the 5K.  I'm guessing there were maybe a dozen...20 at the most in the 10K.  Chuck and Janice picked me up.  We had registered online so picked up our bibs and paid our fee quickly and then tried to stay warm.  Chuck ran the 5K.  Janice and I tackled the 10K.

A bit of history.  Chuck was a math teacher and wrestling coach at the high school so I knew him well from that.  Their children were the same age as ours as well.  I didn't get to know Janice until they built the pool in 2008.  She started out running a leg in the MAC Dash and then decided she wanted to learn to swim.  I don't remember how it all transpired but we took a semi-private swim lesson together and have been swimming together ever since.  Janice was diagnosed with a progressive eye disease as a child.  She gradually lost more and more peripheral vision and had to give up driving when her children were still in elementary school.  She's been legally blind since I've known her.  She also has osteoporosis and broke her hip running a marathon before I met her.  She's 73 years old...12 years older than I am...and I struggle to keep up with her.  She swims, runs, attends classes at the gym, volunteers, and bakes delicious bread.  I've decided that when I grow up I want to be like Janice!!

Oh...the race...
The start was on rough gravel for the first quarter mile or so.  Janice struggled a bit but got through the rough section and settled into a good pace on the paved road.  In hindsight we probably started a bit fast as she faded a bit as the race progressed.  We lost of bit of time in mile 4 when Janice slowed to remove her gloves and tie her jacket around her waist.  Lost a bit more time on a very complicated corner when she got confused and nearly missed our turn.  We settled back in and then hit a gravel section that was about half a mile long at the end of mile 5.  She kept up her pace well considering how tentatively she had to run.  We hit the pavement at the start of mile 6.  It was a straight shot to the finish.  Janice was just off her goal pace of 11:00 and said she was going to try and speed up but wasn't sure she could.  She encouraged me to turn her loose and finish at my own pace.  I felt comfortable leaving her...she was being followed by the clean up car as we were the last two runners.  And another runner that had finished earlier actually ran back, ran with us and stayed and finished with her.  So I took off.


  1. 10:42
  2. 10:45
  3. 11:05
  4. 11:27
  5. 11:09
  6. 10:02

     .14 @ 9:26 to finish in 1:06:28 @ 10:50

Really glad I stayed with Janice until we got back to the paved straight road to the finish.  I actually ran pretty close to my capability.  I may have been able to shave off a few seconds but with my limited training it was a good result for me.

Janice finished with a pace of 11:01 just missing her goal.

We both won pies for winning our age groups!  Laughing

It was really a fun morning.  I'm not saying that I don't want to get faster but I'm starting to realize that there is more to life than just speed.
Thanks for the backstory.  That really painted the landscape.

Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  I couldn't even register for that race, if I had to maintain an 11 minute pace!

I agree there's more to life than just speed.  But in running, coupled with my lack of speed, there's nothing more to life than speed.  But as Mr. Spock pointed out one time, "Having is not always as good a thing as wanting."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5430
Points : 15329
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:15 pm

@ounce wrote:Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  
I told you it was a small race!  
We both won our age groups and went home with fresh baked pies.Running Running cheers cheers Laughing Laughing

***

So guess what I've been doing...in addition to driving tractor, chauffeuring grandkids, paying bills, and planning our drive to Albuquerque...I've been running! Shocked


  • Monday - Swim 1500 yards, Pilates video
  • Tuesday - 3 miles @ 11:21 HR 149, Flu and Shingles vaccinations.  I had a bad reaction and spent most of the night sweating or freezing and got very little sleep.
  • Wednesday - skipped swimming but felt better in the afternoon and it was a gorgeous sunny day.  3 miles @ 11:59 HR 141
  • Thursday - 4 miles @ 11:42 HR 142  I got two phone calls during this run that were important and I had to answer them. 
  • Friday - Swim 1750 yards, 5 miles @ 11:23 HR 149
  • Saturday - Joined Katie at her gym for a Pound class and Yoga.
  • Sunday - Plan to finish the week off with another run if possible.


So...look at that...I ran 4 days in a row and worked my way back up to 5 miles.  And if you add all my runs together I ran as far as Doug did...in one run. Razz

Pretty happy with the weeks work!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2481
Points : 8726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 61
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am

Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4930
Points : 12355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  
I told you it was a small race!  
We both won our age groups and went home with fresh baked pies.Running Running cheers cheers Laughing Laughing

***

So guess what I've been doing...in addition to driving tractor, chauffeuring grandkids, paying bills, and planning our drive to Albuquerque...I've been running! Shocked


  • Monday - Swim 1500 yards, Pilates video
  • Tuesday - 3 miles @ 11:21 HR 149, Flu and Shingles vaccinations.  I had a bad reaction and spent most of the night sweating or freezing and got very little sleep.
  • Wednesday - skipped swimming but felt better in the afternoon and it was a gorgeous sunny day.  3 miles @ 11:59 HR 141
  • Thursday - 4 miles @ 11:42 HR 142  I got two phone calls during this run that were important and I had to answer them. 
  • Friday - Swim 1750 yards, 5 miles @ 11:23 HR 149
  • Saturday - Joined Katie at her gym for a Pound class and Yoga.
  • Sunday - Plan to finish the week off with another run if possible.


So...look at that...I ran 4 days in a row and worked my way back up to 5 miles.  And if you add all my runs together I ran as far as Doug did...in one run. Razz

Pretty happy with the weeks work!
My, my.  You are back to DOING!  Interesting that the fastest pace was the same day of a bad reaction to the shots.  Shocked

I had to look up what a 'Pound' class was.  On their website https://poundfit.com/about/ there was a photo of 5 girls smiling in the section "Who We Are."  The smile on the girl on the far right doesn't look legitimate, which made me think about the photo session and what they did after the shoot was finished.  I digress.

Great job!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5430
Points : 15329
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 62
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum