365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering aimlessly...

5 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 9 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Glad you had a good outing.

With you, I think 'slowing down a bit' and 'been busy' are synonymous.  Just a thought. Shocked
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I had a bit better week.  I'll have to admit that I'm a bit stiff/sore/tired but it feels good!

Monday - Horseback ride

Tuesday - 30 minute strength workout

Wednesday - 30 minute strength workout, 1300 yard swim

Thursday - Farm Service Agency board meeting...I struggle to sit still through meetings anymore!

Friday - 30 minute strength workout, 1750 yard swim, 3.25 mile run plus another half mile walking with Natalie and the twins  Pace for the run was 11:42 HR 154  I didn't keep this at the easy effort that I wanted.  Felt good to get back out there.  

Saturday - Eagle Bakery group run.  It was rainy and windy so everyone was happy to keep it short.  2.8 miles @ 11:34 HR 146

Sunday - We plan to get a 30 minute strength workout in before church and then a short horseback ride in the afternoon.

It wasn't a big training week but it was a start.  I need to figure out some goals and make a training plan.  Time has been limited but I'll have to admit that motivation has been lacking as well.  Short term goal...Janice invited me to join her and some friends running a 10K on Nov 2nd.  It's a fund raising event with a long history in the area but an event I've never done.  I guess it's flat and low key.  I know I won't be trained to race but it should be fun to do with Janice and friends.

Good to get in a couple runs even if they were relatively short and slow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm

I knew it had been a few days since I posted but I didn't realize that it had been nearly two weeks!

We've been busy!  Farming.  Family. On the positive side we're making progress with the farm work even though Kevin isn't able to help as much as normal.  I've been doing fun things with the big boys to give Natalie a break and even included Gary's girls.  We've been swimming and hiking.  We brought both our Moms over last weekend for some family time.  We had breakfast with friends, watched Emma's volleyball game, snuggled babies, watched the community play, breakfast at Gary's, and took them home on the way to pizza in Zigzag for my brother's birthday.  It was a busy weekend.

It's been COLD.  11 degrees this morning.  We gave the crew a couple days off.  They needed a break so it worked out well.  
Marty and Gary headed out early this morning for their annual elk hunting trip.  They take the horses and mules and go into the Snake River area with a group of farmers from the area.  It's a tradition Marty really looks forward to.  I'm going to have to do a bit more tractor work than I usually do when he's gone but should still be able to catch up a bit on my to-do list and have a bit of quiet time.

Training...yes, but not as much as I'd like.

Marty and I gave up on getting our core/strength workouts in the last few days.  It's just been to hectic.  Got in two last week but nothing so far this week.  I should try some of the workouts he's not to excited about while he's gone...

Swimming has been going well.  Knowing Janice is counting on me being there helps.  Our workouts haven't been really long...1200-1800 yards but we're at least holding on to the fitness we've got.

Running has been hit and miss.  I did manage to get in a couple runs last week and ran yesterday.  They've been mostly 4 mile runs at a pretty slow pace but that's OK.  My hamstring still isn't 100% which has me a bit concerned.  Time sitting in the tractor irritates it.

Haven't been on my bike since the MAC Dash.

So goals moving forward:

• Keep swimming 2-3 times a week
  • Get back into a routine of running at least 3 times a week
  • Get back into a routine of doing core/strength workouts 3-4 times a week
  • Add in at least one day of stretching (yoga or pilates maybe)
  • Get back to better nutrition habits (drink water, limit sugar, limit coffee)
  • Make sure I'm getting my sleep

We'll see how this goes.  It may be tough to do this time of year as we've got a couple trips planned...nothing overseas this year.  And the holidays make it hard but I'll be happy with small improvements.  I don't need to just flip the switch and be perfect.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 pm

The hunting looks to be fun, but I'm not a hunter, much less know what not to do and the weather, to boot.  Elks are awfully big and I guess a lot of meat would follow.  I would make a suitable cook.

How are the twins doing, by the way?  Has the lighter one caught up to the heavier one, yet?

How's the rent house fairing?

Wintertime isn't just the best time to be putting in workouts when it's 11 degrees outside.  I wouldn't be too concerned about your hamstring.  There's probably a little scar tissue around it and there's intense muscle cell re-building going on, too.  Maybe use a hard foam roller on it?  Protein feeds the re-building process.

I can tell one thing about your training goals...Fast Freddy ain't there!  Keep at it and maybe stand up and stretch your legs, while tractor racing.

Good luck on Saturday's 10K.  You'll get an idea about the hamstring.  I figured I've asked enough questions, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:45 pm

ounce wrote:The hunting looks to be fun, but I'm not a hunter, much less know what not to do and the weather, to boot.  Elks are awfully big and I guess a lot of meat would follow.  I would make a suitable cook.

How are the twins doing, by the way?  Has the lighter one caught up to the heavier one, yet?

How's the rent house fairing?

Wintertime isn't just the best time to be putting in workouts when it's 11 degrees outside.  I wouldn't be too concerned about your hamstring.  There's probably a little scar tissue around it and there's intense muscle cell re-building going on, too.  Maybe use a hard foam roller on it?  Protein feeds the re-building process.

I can tell one thing about your training goals...Fast Freddy ain't there!  Keep at it and maybe stand up and stretch your legs, while tractor racing.

Good luck on Saturday's 10K.  You'll get an idea about the hamstring.  I figured I've asked enough questions, too.
Elk hunting is more about the camping and packing with the mules than it is about the actual hunting.  I do think they enjoy that part but it's more an excuse to go on a specific date and not postpone it because they are busy.  Marty enjoys the challenge of packing with the animals.  They take a pretty elaborate camp...the tent has a wood stove!  They pack in 12 miles or more and it's pretty steep, rough terrain.  It's also often COLD and wet.  I enjoy riding and packing but I'm a fair weather participant.  I'm glad this is a guys only trip!!

Twins are doing well.  They are both approaching 8 lbs.  Ian has a bit of a tongue tie so doesn't nurse as well.  They supplement with a bottle so he's doing fine.  It's going to be many months before Natalie and Kevin can enjoy a full nights sleep.  Marty suggested that we watch all 5 kids so they could go to dinner or something...I suggested we wait a couple more weeks before we offer... 

The renter seems pleased with the house and we're pleased he's pleased.  He did ask about installing a fireplace insert so that he could have a fire in the evenings.  We priced one and they are pretty expensive...$5000 or so.  Marty suggested we raise the rent a bit to help with payback.  Kevin hasn't visited with the renter yet to see how agreeable he is.  We do have some yard work to do when we have time.  We need to install a chain link fence so he knows where his yard stops and the farm starts and then get some lawn and minimal landscaping done.  He's been patient so far.  We also have a lot of work to do upgrading and maintaining the farmland now that we own it.  We had it surveyed and will build all new fences, clean up the dead trees, huge piles of rocks and abandoned farm equipment, rebuild the corrals, and upgrade the irrigation system as time and money allows.  The owner has been a widow for 30+ years and wouldn't allow us to change things to much when we were leasing the farmland.

I think hope Fast Freddy got bored waiting for me to speed up and decided to leave town.  I'm happy with slower running for now.  I need to rebuild my base before I speed up to much.  Fast Freddy usually just gets me in trouble.  That said I think I'll try to add in a bit of speed soon...maybe just some unstructured intervals at first.

I did enjoy my shirt sleeve run yesterday after hurrying in from the tractor.
5 miles @10:52 HR was 158 avg 179 max Cadence a disappointing 155 (I see an option for improvement)

1. 11:11 HR 140
  2. 11:19 HR 155
  3. 10:57 HR 160
  4. 10:40 HR 167
  5. 10:07 HR 171

Definitely not a low HR run.   Shocked But it did feel good to put in more effort than I have recently and see a bit faster paces.

My hamstring hasn't gotten any worse so I think once I get back into a good routine it will heal slowly.  It actually feels a bit better this morning.  Standing to stretch while in the tractor isn't an option.  There is a safely device in the seat that shuts everything down if the driver leaves the seat.  It's probably a good idea but is really annoying at times!  I do try to get out and walk around every couple hours even if it's just for a few seconds.

Good swim this morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:26 pm

So my 10K went better than expected.  It was cold! 28 degrees at the start warming to 35 at the finish but I enjoy cold weather running and warmed up well after the first couple miles.  The sun was out and it wasn't windy...perfect running weather.

I've heard a lot about this event and always thought it was a big event.  Nope.  No chip timing, no published results...I have no idea how many people ran but it wasn't many.  Most were in the 5K.  I'm guessing there were maybe a dozen...20 at the most in the 10K.  Chuck and Janice picked me up.  We had registered online so picked up our bibs and paid our fee quickly and then tried to stay warm.  Chuck ran the 5K.  Janice and I tackled the 10K.

A bit of history.  Chuck was a math teacher and wrestling coach at the high school so I knew him well from that.  Their children were the same age as ours as well.  I didn't get to know Janice until they built the pool in 2008.  She started out running a leg in the MAC Dash and then decided she wanted to learn to swim.  I don't remember how it all transpired but we took a semi-private swim lesson together and have been swimming together ever since.  Janice was diagnosed with a progressive eye disease as a child.  She gradually lost more and more peripheral vision and had to give up driving when her children were still in elementary school.  She's been legally blind since I've known her.  She also has osteoporosis and broke her hip running a marathon before I met her.  She's 73 years old...12 years older than I am...and I struggle to keep up with her.  She swims, runs, attends classes at the gym, volunteers, and bakes delicious bread.  I've decided that when I grow up I want to be like Janice!!

Oh...the race...
The start was on rough gravel for the first quarter mile or so.  Janice struggled a bit but got through the rough section and settled into a good pace on the paved road.  In hindsight we probably started a bit fast as she faded a bit as the race progressed.  We lost of bit of time in mile 4 when Janice slowed to remove her gloves and tie her jacket around her waist.  Lost a bit more time on a very complicated corner when she got confused and nearly missed our turn.  We settled back in and then hit a gravel section that was about half a mile long at the end of mile 5.  She kept up her pace well considering how tentatively she had to run.  We hit the pavement at the start of mile 6.  It was a straight shot to the finish.  Janice was just off her goal pace of 11:00 and said she was going to try and speed up but wasn't sure she could.  She encouraged me to turn her loose and finish at my own pace.  I felt comfortable leaving her...she was being followed by the clean up car as we were the last two runners.  And another runner that had finished earlier actually ran back, ran with us and stayed and finished with her.  So I took off.

1. 10:42
  2. 10:45
  3. 11:05
  4. 11:27
  5. 11:09
  6. 10:02

.14 @ 9:26 to finish in 1:06:28 @ 10:50

Really glad I stayed with Janice until we got back to the paved straight road to the finish.  I actually ran pretty close to my capability.  I may have been able to shave off a few seconds but with my limited training it was a good result for me.

Janice finished with a pace of 11:01 just missing her goal.

We both won pies for winning our age groups!  Laughing

It was really a fun morning.  I'm not saying that I don't want to get faster but I'm starting to realize that there is more to life than just speed.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 am

nkrichards wrote:So my 10K went better than expected.  It was cold! 28 degrees at the start warming to 35 at the finish but I enjoy cold weather running and warmed up well after the first couple miles.  The sun was out and it wasn't windy...perfect running weather.

I've heard a lot about this event and always thought it was a big event.  Nope.  No chip timing, no published results...I have no idea how many people ran but it wasn't many.  Most were in the 5K.  I'm guessing there were maybe a dozen...20 at the most in the 10K.  Chuck and Janice picked me up.  We had registered online so picked up our bibs and paid our fee quickly and then tried to stay warm.  Chuck ran the 5K.  Janice and I tackled the 10K.

A bit of history.  Chuck was a math teacher and wrestling coach at the high school so I knew him well from that.  Their children were the same age as ours as well.  I didn't get to know Janice until they built the pool in 2008.  She started out running a leg in the MAC Dash and then decided she wanted to learn to swim.  I don't remember how it all transpired but we took a semi-private swim lesson together and have been swimming together ever since.  Janice was diagnosed with a progressive eye disease as a child.  She gradually lost more and more peripheral vision and had to give up driving when her children were still in elementary school.  She's been legally blind since I've known her.  She also has osteoporosis and broke her hip running a marathon before I met her.  She's 73 years old...12 years older than I am...and I struggle to keep up with her.  She swims, runs, attends classes at the gym, volunteers, and bakes delicious bread.  I've decided that when I grow up I want to be like Janice!!

Oh...the race...
The start was on rough gravel for the first quarter mile or so.  Janice struggled a bit but got through the rough section and settled into a good pace on the paved road.  In hindsight we probably started a bit fast as she faded a bit as the race progressed.  We lost of bit of time in mile 4 when Janice slowed to remove her gloves and tie her jacket around her waist.  Lost a bit more time on a very complicated corner when she got confused and nearly missed our turn.  We settled back in and then hit a gravel section that was about half a mile long at the end of mile 5.  She kept up her pace well considering how tentatively she had to run.  We hit the pavement at the start of mile 6.  It was a straight shot to the finish.  Janice was just off her goal pace of 11:00 and said she was going to try and speed up but wasn't sure she could.  She encouraged me to turn her loose and finish at my own pace.  I felt comfortable leaving her...she was being followed by the clean up car as we were the last two runners.  And another runner that had finished earlier actually ran back, ran with us and stayed and finished with her.  So I took off.

1. 10:42
  2. 10:45
  3. 11:05
  4. 11:27
  5. 11:09
  6. 10:02

.14 @ 9:26 to finish in 1:06:28 @ 10:50

Really glad I stayed with Janice until we got back to the paved straight road to the finish.  I actually ran pretty close to my capability.  I may have been able to shave off a few seconds but with my limited training it was a good result for me.

Janice finished with a pace of 11:01 just missing her goal.

We both won pies for winning our age groups!  Laughing

It was really a fun morning.  I'm not saying that I don't want to get faster but I'm starting to realize that there is more to life than just speed.
Thanks for the backstory.  That really painted the landscape.

Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  I couldn't even register for that race, if I had to maintain an 11 minute pace!

I agree there's more to life than just speed.  But in running, coupled with my lack of speed, there's nothing more to life than speed.  But as Mr. Spock pointed out one time, "Having is not always as good a thing as wanting."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:15 pm

ounce wrote:Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  
I told you it was a small race!  
We both won our age groups and went home with fresh baked pies.Running Running cheers cheers Laughing Laughing

So guess what I've been doing...in addition to driving tractor, chauffeuring grandkids, paying bills, and planning our drive to Albuquerque...I've been running! Shocked

• Monday - Swim 1500 yards, Pilates video
  • Tuesday - 3 miles @ 11:21 HR 149, Flu and Shingles vaccinations.  I had a bad reaction and spent most of the night sweating or freezing and got very little sleep.
  • Wednesday - skipped swimming but felt better in the afternoon and it was a gorgeous sunny day.  3 miles @ 11:59 HR 141
  • Thursday - 4 miles @ 11:42 HR 142  I got two phone calls during this run that were important and I had to answer them. 
  • Friday - Swim 1750 yards, 5 miles @ 11:23 HR 149
  • Saturday - Joined Katie at her gym for a Pound class and Yoga.
  • Sunday - Plan to finish the week off with another run if possible.

So...look at that...I ran 4 days in a row and worked my way back up to 5 miles.  And if you add all my runs together I ran as far as Doug did...in one run. Razz

Pretty happy with the weeks work!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am

Would have been fun to share your story.  Which I do share with running friends.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a29741435/runners-who-survived-cardiac-arrest/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rnw&utm_medium=email&date=111519&utm_campaign=nl18610982&src=nl
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Gratz on your age group victory, but you were the last 2?  
I told you it was a small race!  
We both won our age groups and went home with fresh baked pies.Running Running cheers cheers Laughing Laughing

So guess what I've been doing...in addition to driving tractor, chauffeuring grandkids, paying bills, and planning our drive to Albuquerque...I've been running! Shocked

• Monday - Swim 1500 yards, Pilates video
  • Tuesday - 3 miles @ 11:21 HR 149, Flu and Shingles vaccinations.  I had a bad reaction and spent most of the night sweating or freezing and got very little sleep.
  • Wednesday - skipped swimming but felt better in the afternoon and it was a gorgeous sunny day.  3 miles @ 11:59 HR 141
  • Thursday - 4 miles @ 11:42 HR 142  I got two phone calls during this run that were important and I had to answer them. 
  • Friday - Swim 1750 yards, 5 miles @ 11:23 HR 149
  • Saturday - Joined Katie at her gym for a Pound class and Yoga.
  • Sunday - Plan to finish the week off with another run if possible.

So...look at that...I ran 4 days in a row and worked my way back up to 5 miles.  And if you add all my runs together I ran as far as Doug did...in one run. Razz

Pretty happy with the weeks work!
My, my.  You are back to DOING!  Interesting that the fastest pace was the same day of a bad reaction to the shots.  Shocked

I had to look up what a 'Pound' class was.  On their website https://poundfit.com/about/ there was a photo of 5 girls smiling in the section "Who We Are."  The smile on the girl on the far right doesn't look legitimate, which made me think about the photo session and what they did after the shoot was finished.  I digress.

Great job!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:27 pm

bounce
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:31 pm

ounce wrote:bounce
bounce bounce
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm

ounce wrote:
ounce wrote:bounce
bounce bounce
Sorry for the prolonged absence.   Embarassed

I've been wandering...  
My nephew's wedding was in Albuquerque on Saturday Nov. 23rd.  We decided to drive to the wedding and took the scenic route.  Here's our schedule...

1. Late afternoon departure on Friday Nov. 15th.  Drove to Alturas California.
  2. Drove to Bishop California.  I was looking forward to driving on 395 and the weather cooperated.  We detoured to Tioga pass and spent some time walking in the Mono Lake area.
  3. Up early to head into the Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest.  We enjoyed a long hike in the forest which put us a bit behind schedule but it was worth it.  Arrived at Death Valley just in time to catch the sunset.  We weren't in the best spot but it was still pretty impressive.
  4. Sunrise at Death Valley wasn't as impressive as the sunset but it was nice and we had time for a nice hike before heading toward Zion NP.  We arrived in time to catch the shuttle to the end of the valley and hike along the river for a bit.  Finished the hike in the dark which was actually pretty cool.
  5. Up early again to drive the Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel and hike the Canyon Overlook Trail.  More than one hiker turned back before the end as they were uncomfortable with the heights.  It wasn't a long hike but it was fun and the views were impressive.  I had hoped to try and make time to hike into Peek-a-boo and Spooky (slot canyons) but there was a storm in the prediction and we were cautioned to stay out of the canyons.  That meant we could spend a bit more time enjoying Scenic Hwy 12 and still arrive at our lodging near Capital Reef NP before dark and before the storm hit.  
  6. We did get rain overnight which limited our hiking options and our views but we got up early and drove the scenic drive.  16 water crossings in 10 miles!  It was fun and as the ranger at the visitor center said we had a unique visit to Capital Reef NP.  Next stop Monument Valley (via Natural Bridges SP and Moki Dugway) where we had a cabin in the park reserved.  We arrived in time to see the sunset.
  7. We had an awesome view of sunrise from our cabin window and headed out on the scenic loop drive after breakfast.  It was still to muddy to hike.  We didn't come prepared for wet hiking in the red dirt!  Then it was off to Canyon de Chelly.  We had time to drive both North and South rim drives and stopped at every overlook to locate the ruins at each site.  We didn't have time for a long hike but did get in lots of short hikes.
  8. The plan on Friday was to head directly to the Albuquerque airport to meet Mom and Katie's flight from Portland.  It was delayed and then cancelled due to foggy conditions in Oregon.  So we headed to my brother's house for a visit while they rescheduled flights.  They were able to get on a later flight via LA which gave us time for a walk to/from Old Town Albuquerque.  It was a long tough day for Mom and she was disappointed that she missed the rehearsal dinner but she arrived in time to get a good night's sleep.  
  9. We met another brother for breakfast on Saturday morning and then took it easy most of the day so that Mom wasn't to tired for the wedding.  The ceremony and dinner were quite nice.  We got some photos of Mom with all three of my brothers and myself.  Also a three generation photo with Mom, Katie & myself.  
  10. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast with the bride and groom, my brother & SIL, Mom, Katie, and also our niece.  Then we headed for Moab.  We arrived at our lodging just after dark.
  11. Up early for breakfast so that we were ready to head out at daylight.  We spent a bit of time doing a couple short hikes in Arches NP before turning our attention to the weather forecast and our destination near SLC.  We got caught in a bit of snow and wind but arrived safely at Homestead Resort in time for our scheduled snorkel/soak in a crater...interesting...  After reviewing the weather forecast we decided that a very early departure and attempt to arrive home in one more day was the best option.
  12. We were in the car by 4:30 am and on our way in the dark on slick roads.  What a Face  Those first couple hours were a bet tense but with daylight we were happy to see clear roads and sunshine...for a while.  We hit snow again a few hours from home but pulled in during daylight hours with relatively clear roads.  11:30 hours on the road.  Ugh!  We made a good choice though as we went to bed with blowing snow and ended up with 6+" before it was over.

It was an interesting road trip.  We managed to see/do quite a bit even though the days were short.  No running for me but we did hike most days...often multiple short hikes rather than one longer hike.  And it was nice to enjoy the ceremony with family.  

Glad to be home and getting back into our routine.  I didn't feel up to a workout yesterday but we got up this morning and did a 30 minute core/strength workout.  I may let the snow melt a bit before I head back out on the road.  I don't mind the cold but deep snow is hard and they haven't plowed the road yet.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 pm

I remember a few months back about your upcoming trip to Albuquerque, but didn't remember the date.

So glad you crammed so much into that trip!  Really cool.

Back to the salt mines.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm

So...I'm back...sort of.  It's the holidays and life is busy and it's COLD and SNOWY!  I actually enjoy running in the cold but the snow has hindered my ability to run safely.  So here's what I've been doing.

Wednesday - Recovery/catch up day.

Thursday - Barre Blend...tougher than I expected.

Friday - Dirty 30 (full body core/strength/cardio for 30 minutes), Swim 2000 yards

Saturday - 10 minute abs followed by 30 minutes of Pilates

Sunday - Upper body 30 minutes

Monday - Cardio 30 minutes. Swim 1800 yards.

These are all Beachbody workouts.  Marty and I have kind of jumped around and tried a few different things.  Natalie is starting a new challenge group today.  It's a 21 day challenge.  We'll work through 21 Day Fix doing a workout each day and also calculating appropriate goals for drinking water and eating protein and vegetables...before for treats.  We're going to try and do the workout each day but won't stress if we miss a couple due to family obligations.  I do OK with water intake but could do better.  Nutrition is a bit of a struggle so I'm hoping this will help me develop some better habits.

Owen, age 7, asked if I would run the Jingle Bell run with him on Saturday.  He wants to run the 1K.  Sounds like a perfect distance!  Then we'll all go for cocoa and maybe lunch.

I keep thinking that I want to make running a priority but so far haven't been able to do that consistently for any length of time...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

I understand how snow and you don't do well together.  I've never ran in it and don't like it.

Keep doing what you like.  Any of it will help your running.

Good luck on pacing Owen.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Freezing rain this morning.  The kids's distance for the Jingle Bell run was cancelled.  They shortened the adult 5K to 1.5 miles and turned it into a walk only.  Kevin and family decided to skip it.  Not the best scenario to encourage Owen to participate in the future.  We're hoping to spend some time with the kids later today and maybe attend the Christmas Parade in Madras this evening...if my sore throat and cough don't get any worse.  The last thing I want to do is make the kids sick before/during the holidays.

The Canyon Rumble was this morning.  It's a very challenging course even for the 5K.  The 10K and Half both go into Willow Creek Canyon on trails.  Cold and slippery this morning I'm sure.  Janice planned to run the 10K but decided it wasn't safe and opted to volunteer.  I think that was a wise decision and expect that others decided not to run.

I did manage to get some good training in this week before my cold and the freezing rain hit.

Tuesday - Swim 1800 yds,  3 mi run.  Slow but gorgeous!  They plowed the roads so I was on packed snow and ice but no deep snow.  The sun was shining and the mountains were gorgeous.  I wore my shoes with screws and it was slow but a fantastic run!

Wednesday - Swim 1750 yds, 4 mile run.  Unfortunately it warmed up enough that I was in mud and slush a good portion of the time.  Still enough slick stuff to require the screwed shoes.  Still a nice run.

Thursday - Leg day (30 minutes)  Shocked followed my meetings all day long...

Friday - 30 minutes Cardio...feeling the legs after yesterday.  Headed to the valley to spend time with family and joined my SIL at her water aerobics class.  Fun!  Starting to feel a cold coming on.

Saturday - Yoga...cold arrived with a vengeance and freezing rain.  Jingle Bell run cancelled.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with my holiday/family/business obligations.  I'm sure it's exacerbated by the fact that I don't feel well.  I'm going to try not to stress about deadlines for our annual Christmas letter and family calendar.  Better later than never I guess.  Plan to stay warm, drink lots of fluids and do the tasks I can do comfortably.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:36 pm

First and foremost, I hope you feel better.  Being under the weather around the holidays is always a challenge.  Second, oh how I don't miss running in the snow - cold we get, but snow not so much or at least not since winter of 2018.  Hoping that it stays away and very surprised that it has missed us completely with all the storms going across the US the last couple of weeks.

Keep doing your best and an early Happy Holidays!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Yeah, you need to pace yourself on health.  Evil or Very Mad   And I can say that because I don't live under your roof.  But I know end of year is never a good time for the bean counter.

But I would say your exercise related activities is probably less than last year. 

Soldier on and enjoy these holidays.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:30 pm

I apologize for not posting on a more regular basis.  Battling a bad cough so haven't been very active but more importantly I'm really struggling emotionally right now.  Not a fun time...  I'm sure I'll get this figured out.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:I apologize for not posting on a more regular basis.  Battling a bad cough so haven't been very active but more importantly I'm really struggling emotionally right now.  Not a fun time...  I'm sure I'll get this figured out.
More fudge!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I apologize for not posting on a more regular basis.  Battling a bad cough so haven't been very active but more importantly I'm really struggling emotionally right now.  Not a fun time...  I'm sure I'll get this figured out.
More fudge!
That may just be the answer Doug!  Thanks for providing the remedy.   Very Happy

I'm still not feeling great but I did make the decision to swim with my swim friends yesterday.  Fortunately they only wanted to do 1000 yards...I was able to accomplish that.  That left us with a couple minutes to chat in the hot tub.  They are good friends.

I planned to do a short, easy core/strength workout or something this morning but I didn't sleep very well last night and woke up with a headache this morning so I skipped it.  Not sure if I should make some sort of activity a priority later today or just keep working on my very long to-do list.

Good thing I have grandkids nearby who won't allow me to simply ignore the holidays...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
More fudge!
That may just be the answer Doug!  Thanks for providing the remedy.   Very Happy

I'm still not feeling great but I did make the decision to swim with my swim friends yesterday.  Fortunately they only wanted to do 1000 yards...I was able to accomplish that.  That left us with a couple minutes to chat in the hot tub.  They are good friends.

I planned to do a short, easy core/strength workout or something this morning but I didn't sleep very well last night and woke up with a headache this morning so I skipped it.  Not sure if I should make some sort of activity a priority later today or just keep working on my very long to-do list.

Good thing I have grandkids nearby who won't allow me to simply ignore the holidays...
I'll vote for the to-do list.  Or give the grandkids an item on the list and you do your activity!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:33 pm

I've got to figure out how to get back into a more active mode!!!

I made a bit of a start with a nice one mile swim on Friday.  Then it was off to a cabin at Elk Lake with 6 of the 8 grandkids...we left the twins home.   Shocked  The parents enjoyed the time without kids and we enjoyed the time with grandkids.  They are a bit spread out...ages 2,5,7,11,13,15 but they did well together.  The older girls are pretty good with the younger boys.  We played games, played in the snow, and drank a lot of cocoa.  We drove to the ski resort and then road in to the cabin in a snow cat.  Spending time with Gary's family and the older girls later today.  We put Kevin's family...all 7 of them...on the plane to Minnesota this morning.

Once we got back from the airport we completed one of the Beachbody workouts...cardio today.  We're hoping to get back in the habit of doing a workout every morning.

It's cold but sunny today.  Maybe I'll sneak in a short easy run later today.  Here's hoping I can stay on track...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Merry Christmas, Nancy! Hope you're having a great holiday season.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum