365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering aimlessly...

5 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wandering aimlessly... Empty Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 am

I do have a goal.  It is to not have a goal!  I've decided that a mental and physical break is necessary at this point in time.  I'll still run/bike/swim...it's just a part of me now.  But I'm hoping I can stay active on a more casual level and build/keep my base while spending time with family and friends and doing things that they enjoy.  I'll participate in local events but won't train hard and I'll try not to race on race day.  Not training hard may be more difficult than training.  I'll choose a goal race and resume training in the future.  We'll see how it goes.

Off to a good start:

• Mon - Swim 2150 yds.  Total time 56 minutes.  Swim time 45 minutes.  Avg HR 97.  We may have stopped to visit longer than I realized.  Very Happy
  • Tue - Pilates.  4 mile run.  Pace 11:50.  Avg HR 142 but it was getting warm.
  • Wed - Morning tea with Marty's friends.  (We had been putting off inviting them to the farm for a long time.)
  • Thur - Pilates.  Yup...just Pilates.

Avg resting HR for the last 7 days is now down to 53.  Still battling a bit of chest congestion so I'm hoping that as that clears up it will drop a bit lower.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Wandering aimlessly... Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 am

Yay! A new Nancy blog!

I think the idea of training with no set goal is a terrific idea. That minset worked very well for me a few years ago. It's what allowed me to do that 50-miler the following year. (Not that I'm suggesting that's your secret plan, mind you.) It's also what got me into barefoot running, so beware! Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am

Mark B wrote:Yay! A new Nancy blog!

I think the idea of training with no set goal is a terrific idea. That minset worked very well for me a few years ago. It's what allowed me to do that 50-miler the following year. (Not that I'm suggesting that's your secret plan, mind you.) It's also what got me into barefoot running, so beware! Laughing
Well I am not going to do this if there is a chance it may lead to an ultra or barefoot running!!!!! What a Face 

I'm really struggling with the idea of not having a training plan and goal race but I'm determined to at least try and stay the course this summer.  I really wanted to get out and run this morning...  I'm going to work in the garden this morning instead.

Friday - I got in a nice easy 4 mile run.  I slowed down even more...12:14 pace.  Unfortunately even though it was cooler my HR was higher.  It felt super easy but my Avg HR was 145.  Hmmm...   Nice 2000 yd recovery type swim later in the day.

Saturday - I picked up Katie and Abby (youngest granddaughter age 10).  We headed to McKenzie Bridge where we met up with a guide and spent the afternoon rafting the McKenzie River.  Nice stretch of the river for Abby.  Exciting enough but not to scary.  It was chilly at times but not cold.  Abby and I both popped over the edge of the raft for a very quick swim near the end of the trip.  It was COLD!  I give Abby credit for being willing to get in the water.  We spent the night in a lodge room (really just a hotel type room) nearby.

Sunday - Slept in a bit and then caught up with the shuttle we had organized for our waterfall hike.  We dropped our car and then he dropped us off up the trail to walk back.  We hiked to Sahalie, Koosah, and Tamolitch (Blue Pool).  Sahalie and Koosah were gorgeous.  Blue Pool was recently "discovered" and is viral on the internet.  It was nice but to be honest it was anti-climatic.  Katie and I were both unimpressed.  I think the fact that it was just jam packed with people near the falls was the main reason.  People are so self-centered and as a result quite rude at times.  We were also hungry and tired by then.  Our 6 mile hike turned into 8 miles but Abby did well.  She said that she enjoyed it even though it was hard...she was still bouncing from rock to rock in the last mile.  Smile  She did say that she did NOT want to plan an overnight backpacking trip for her 12 year trip with me.

Monday - 4 mile easy run.  Kept the pace at 11:56.  Avg HR 145 again.  I just seem to settle in in the low/mid 140s no matter how slow I go.   Finished up the day with 1700 yds in the pool.  Short fast stuff.  Fun.

Very tempted to go run this morning but since I hiked on Sunday and ran yesterday I'm determined to take today off.  My calves are a bit sore...more tired than sore I think.  I'll work in the garden this morning and then go to Pilates.  The stretching and deep breathing will be good for me.

Can I continue to wander?...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am

Mystery solved...I mentioned that my calves were sore/tired.  It dawned on me that I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak Mids to wear on the farm a couple months ago.  I like to wear a very light hiker and these were working well.  I decided to wear them on the 8 mile hike on Sunday.  Even though I've been wearing them a bit most days for several weeks I hadn't put any significant mileage on them. Shocked

I compromised with myself yesterday.  I didn't run but I did ride my bike to Pilates (and to the bank) at a relatively leisurely commuting pace.

I got a reminder from my calendar this morning letting me know that the Todd Beamer 10K is only 1 week away.  Still determined to participate and not race but it's not easy!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 pm

It's a great day to be a Beaver!!  cheers

Nice 2100 yard swim on Wednesday including some faster 50's.  Felt good.

All my runs have been extremely slow the last few weeks.  Today I decided to cautiously see what I could do.  The plan was 6x400 (400 rest) after a mile to warm up.  I started very conservatively but it felt pretty good.  Remember I do these on the road so there is some elevation changes and the intervals aren't all equal difficulty.  Here's my intervals...
2:18 @ 9:12
2:18 @ 9:15
2:12 @ 8:49
2:07 @ 8:30
2:10 @ 8:38
2:03 @ 8:12

I did not keep my HR down but average of 155, max of 178 isn't terrible.  It did feel pretty good which is very encouraging.  I still plan to run conservatively on the 4th.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:06 pm

You may find that under-achieving suits you.  I will tell you that your grandkids appreciate having active grandparents and will EXPECT the same from their parents, when they have kids.

Don't completely discount ultras.  They give you forever to do a 50K, when it's not the marquee distance.  I'm living proof of that.

Keep up something(s).  You'll be fine and that RHP will be 49 before you know it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 pm

ounce wrote:You may find that under-achieving suits you.  I will tell you that your grandkids appreciate having active grandparents and will EXPECT the same from their parents, when they have kids.

Don't completely discount ultras.  They give you forever to do a 50K, when it's not the marquee distance.  I'm living proof of that.

Keep up something(s).  You'll be fine and that RHP will be 49 before you know it.
 My family would kill me if I even mentioned an ultra!  It's just to big of time commitment for me at this point in my life.

Mission accomplished during the 10K on the 4th.  I finished in 56:45 @9:12.  Very small turn out this year due to several factors.  I won my age group 1st of 1.  cheers  

I was in the middle of the pack for females.  I ran 54:37 @8:52 last year and my PR for this fast downhill course is 50:48 @8:10 from 2010.  I definitely pushed harder than just a training run...I was a bit sore afterward but only a bit.  I definitely did not put forth an actual race effort.  I was pleased with both my self control and my ability to push a bit harder than just a training run.  

I paced myself really well.  My splits were 9:12, 9:15, 9:18, 9:15, 9:18 (the only small uphill on the course), 9:12, and a bit of a sprint to the finish @ 7:19.  My splits all reflect the decline/incline in elevation very well with a bit of extra effort in mile 6 and the faster finish.

Harvest has bunched up and we're absolutely swamped on the farm.  My be a couple weeks before I'm able to get out of the tractor for a workout!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Woohoo!  Another picture in the newspaper coming to a porch near you.

Nicely consistent on the splits.  Well done, young lady.

As far as a 50K, it's not any more of a time commitment than a 20 mile run because you'll walk many miles.  I know you won't do it, but it's not a 50 mile.

Keep going!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm

ounce wrote:Woohoo!  Another picture in the newspaper coming to a porch near you.

Nicely consistent on the splits.  Well done, young lady.

As far as a 50K, it's not any more of a time commitment than a 20 mile run because you'll walk many miles.  I know you won't do it, but it's not a 50 mile.

Keep going!
No ultras for me Doug...

So we've been farming!  Since the 4th we've been up at 4:00 am and on the raking tractor by 4:30.  We switch to the baling tractor when the dew is right and bale...alfalfa and then grain hay...until noon.  We finished the grain hay yesterday.  We had to stop baling alfalfa at 10:00 so I got to swim!  I felt awful and cut the workout short but it did feel nice to move.  I've been living on coffee, bananas, more coffee, muffins and more coffee and sitting way to much!  Should get better in the next few days.  Moving into bluegrass harvest and still need to cut the grass hay but we're making progress.

My actual swim didn't go to bad at all.  I felt pretty cruddy when I started.  The intervals went well but I was starting to get tired and hungry and could tell that I was going to cramp soon.  I decided that I didn't really need to do 2000+ yards.  1550 yards was a good time to stop so I did.  

I need to catch up on my sleep, hydrate, and eat better!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 am

Farmer Nancy, which of the three (alfalfa, grain, or bluegrass) sells best and do y'all get into selling contracts with the buyers, in case there's a shortage or other market pressures?

Y'all just get 6" of rain a year?  I guess y'all have access to water from a flowing body or does the hay not require a lot of water to grow?

Keep up on that resting!  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

ounce wrote:Farmer Nancy, which of the three (alfalfa, grain, or bluegrass) sells best and do y'all get into selling contracts with the buyers, in case there's a shortage or other market pressures?

Y'all just get 6" of rain a year?  I guess y'all have access to water from a flowing body or does the hay not require a lot of water to grow?

Keep up on that resting!  Thanks.
 That's a more complicated question than you realize Doug.

I'll start with the easy part.  We are located in what is considered a high desert.  High elevation but dry.  We get 10-11" of rain per year.  You can't even grow dry land wheat with that little rainfall.  We must irrigate to grow the crops we raise.  Hay is a very high water use crop as we get 4 cuttings of alfalfa and 3 cuttings of grass per year.  Our water (mostly snow melt from the mountains) is stored in a reservoir that's 90 miles from our farm.  The water is released from the reservoir when needed.  It travels about half way here in the Deschutes River and then it's diverted into canals for the rest of the journey.  Construction of the system was started before the war...put on hold...and finished after.  North Unit Irrigation District is one of the most efficient and productive irrigation districts in the country.  Our climate (hot days but cool nights) allows us to grow high value seed crops better than most areas.

Our most profitable crop is hybrid carrot seed, followed by peppermint oil, Kentucky bluegrass seed, Alfalfa & Grass hay, wheat, and grain hay.  We can only grow carrot seed on a piece of land every 6-7 years (disease & volunteer carrots) so we have to rotate the other crops through to produce something during the other years.  We can only grow a few acres of peppermint as the demand is limited.  Alfalfa and Grass hay are high water use crops and labor intensive as we have to harvest 3 or 4 times per year but they are relatively profitable.  The wheat and grain hay are only break even crops but they provide other benefits.  The wheat stubble makes excellent organic matter and improves soil health.  The grain hay uses very little water (one cutting per year) and harvests early to allow us to prep the soil so we can get carrots and bluegrass planted at the optimal time.  The Kentucky bluegrass is grown for seed (golf courses and lawn mixes) but we bale off the "straw" after we thrash out the seed.  We sell it as low value livestock feed but primarily bale it to remove it from the field.  Farmers used to just burn it but that's frowned upon in today's climate.

The carrot seed, bluegrass seed, and peppermint are all contracted and can't be grown without a contract.  The other crops we must market ourselves.  Kevin has been actively looking for other options to add to our rotation.  We planted a small field of hybrid parsley seed this year.  We haven't harvested yet so don't know how profitable it will be but it looks good and he plans to plant a slightly larger field next month for harvest next summer.  We may try sugar beet seed and/or spinach seed as well.  We're still trying to decide if they fit into our crop rotation.

More information than you needed but it's fun to share!

Shorter day of baling today so I was able to go to Pilates.  Mowed the lawns and cleaned up around the farmstead afterwards.  We have a bus load of politicians coming for a farm tour on Thursday!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 am

Still just wandering but I did wander a bit farther the last couple days...

Mon - Swim 1550 yds
Tue - Pilates
Wed - Farming stuff
Thur - Farming stuff
Fri - Swim 1500 yds
Sat - Strength 20 min, 3.5 mile treadmill run
Sun - Bike 14 miles

My short break after my triathlon has turned into a long lazy period...complicated by the heat and farming conflicts.  I decided enough is enough.  Natalie (Kevin's wife and mom of the 3 boys) has a small group friends that workout using an online program and share their frustrations and successes.  I decided to join for the accountability.  I did one of the "practice" workouts on Saturday.  They are tough! We're starting a 6 week program today.  It's 4 days a week for 30-40 minutes.  I'm trying to buddy up with Katie and encourage her to be more active as well.  It has a nutrition component as well which I'm not doing.

I also decided that I needed to stop using the heat as an excuse.  I got in a short run on the dreadmill...yes it was dreadful...on Saturday.  I headed to the pool on the bike on Sunday afternoon (after baling all morning).  It was HOT but I kept the pace easy and stopped for water a few times.  Felt OK after a cool shower.

Funny farming story.  I was driving the combine early afternoon on Saturday when Marty called and said that Kevin just delivered a truck load of seed to the local seed company and a piece of the combine fell out of the back of the truck.   Shocked  I stopped and he came and took a quick look and we headed to the shop with the combine.  It was a small piece of the lower sieve that separates the seed (Kentucky bluegrass) from the stems.  It left a hole so the stems were falling into the clean seed.  Not a huge issue as it was a very small percentage of the sieve but it needed to be repaired.  We were able to get a new sieve and install it and were back up and running by that evening.  We lost several hours in the field so our planned day off on Sunday did not materialize but we did manage a few hours of rest (bike ride) in the afternoon.

Disappointed that I had to bale early Sunday morning and wasn't able to head up to Mt. Hood to see Mark, Alita, and Dr. Beckerman at the start of the race but we would have been playing catch up all week if I hadn't baled.  That's farm life I guess.

MACDash in 4 weeks!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I would guess that sieve part is a regular stock item for the combine, if y'all were back up and running in the same day?

And you have a new itch to scratch with Natalie's practice workouts!  Must be one of Freddy's cousins.    affraid

Have fun with it, too.  And thanks for the grain lesson, too!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:12 pm

At least when I rode by a field of baled hay yesterday, I thought of you.  Carol will be here soon - so I guess I'd better get a bit more serious.  Keep up the no goal -  goals.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh, that's what broke. I was wondering when you let us know you weren't going to make it.

I bet most people don't realize just how much goes in to running a working farm. You have to be a botanist, hydrologist, meteorologist, entomologist -- and a mechanic and an accountant, etc., etc., etc.

Glad you got it fixed and didn't fall behind!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:At least when I rode by a field of baled hay yesterday, I thought of you.  Carol will be here soon - so I guess I'd better get a bit more serious.  Keep up the no goal -  goals.
Good thing I have no goals!  Life is not conducive to training goals at this point in time!  

Have a great summer, train hard, say 'hi' to Carol!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:31 am

Mark B wrote:Oh, that's what broke. I was wondering when you let us know you weren't going to make it.

I bet most people don't realize just how much goes in to running a working farm. You have to be a botanist, hydrologist, meteorologist, entomologist -- and a mechanic and an accountant, etc., etc., etc.

Glad you got it fixed and didn't fall behind!

You're right about most people not understanding what goes in to running a farm.  One of Gary's teachers during his senior year told him that he was to smart to be a farmer and needed to choose a more challenging profession!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Boy has life been hectic...and HOT.  Training has been difficult to say the least.  A lot of the farm work needs to be done with the dew which means very late at night or very early in the morning.  Hence...limited sleep and I can't train in the cool hours of the morning.  Oh well.  That's my life.

So last week...
Mon - Run 3.5 mi w/2 at MP?, Swim 1850 yards, BeachBody chest/triceps
Tue - Pilates, BB Back/biceps
Wed - Swim 2050 yds
Thur - Run 3.5 w4x1:00 intervals, Pilates, BB shoulders
Fri - Swim 1175 yds, BB legs
Sat - Ran drove to the valley to pick up parts
Sun - Brick 15.2 mi bike and 3.0 mile run

And this week...
Mon - Swim 2450 yds, BB website crashed...

BeachBody has been interesting.  It's more weight training than I'm used to and I've been pretty sore.  I've been trying to wait and do it with Katie after she gets off work to encourage her to do it.  That schedule is tough for me but she needs the encouragement.  It's more difficult than I expected.  I am pleased that he gives lots of good form suggestions, includes some cardio HIIT, and always includes core, warmup and cooldown.  It's kind of fun to be a part of Natalie's little group...they are all her age so I'm the official grandma...maybe that's why I found it difficult!  The group interaction does help keep me accountable.

It's been tough to get in much running and biking but I've managed a few outings.  Hopefully enough to pull me through the MACDash in less than 3 weeks.  Expectations are low...

In addition to harvest we had to find time to participate in a local land use process.  The neighbors wanted to build a 2nd home right on our border that they obviously didn't qualify to build.  It would have had a significant impact on our farming operation.  We appealed unsuccessfully at two levels in the county and had to take the issue to LUBA (the state Land Use Board of Appeals) last winter.  LUBA agreed with several of our concerns and remanded it back to the county to look at again.  The remand hearing is Wednesday.  We put in a lot of hours making sure we had our testimony ready and also solicited some expert testimony.  Our attorney is confident that we're well prepared.  Here's hoping that this will be the final hearing and that we won't have to go back to LUBA again.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am

Good workouts -- it's fun to try something new -- and good luck on the LUBA hearing. Does your county have a "Right to Farm" ordinance? If not, it needs one.

By the way, Gary's teacher was an idiot. Some of the smartest people I've ever met were agriculturalists.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Good luck with the County, Nancy.  I hope it's a fairer result for you, first.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Apologies for the long absence...life just gets busy at times.

So to update...the land use hearing before the county went about as expected.  We had an opportunity to submit more evidence that would help when we go back to LUBA...I think we will.  The applicant failed to submit any evidence to document his claims.  He just continued to state that he did meet the criteria.  One commissioner seemed like she was starting to understand the law and the process.  One was blatantly combative, is pro-development, pro-private property rights and doesn't care about the rules or our rights.  The third was kind of in the middle.  He seems to be starting to realize that there are rules and they are meant to protect farmland and neighbors but he doesn't agree with the rules so doesn't want to enforce them.  He may vote our way but I really do expect we'll be back at LUBA.  They'll give us a decision on Sept. 5th.  On the positive side they did delay the decision so that they could actually read our written testimony this time!

Mark...Jefferson County does have a Right to Farm law.  I think it's a state law.  But it's not worth the paper it's written on.  It does prevent a loss in court if we can prove that we're using ordinary farming practices but it doesn't prevent the filing of a lawsuit which must be defended.  It also doesn't prevent the inevitable conflicts that crop up on a regular basis.  We may have the right to place bees near homes, work ground when it's dusty, bale in the middle of the night, apply pesticides by plane at 5:00 am, and burn our fields but it doesn't make people happy.  If small children live in those homes we lose in the court of public opinion.  And it doesn't prevent children from playing in our fields and leaving toys that damage equipment or worse yet hiding from the equipment.  There have been some tragedies that aren't the farmers fault but Right to Farm laws don't bring back the children that were killed or badly injured and it doesn't relieve the guilt farmers live with due to no fault of their own.

Doug...We watched A Dogs Purpose last night.  It was a fun break!  Thanks for the recommendation.

So...training...
7/23-7/29
Mon - Swim 2450 yds
Tue - Pilates, Beachbody back/biceps
Wed - Swim 1150 yds, Bike 16.3 mi, BB chest/triceps
Thur - 5 mi w/3 @ 10:16
Fri - BB shoulders am, BB legs pm
Sat - Brick-11.4 mi bike & 2 mi run
Sun - Kayak with friends on Spring River.  Awesome!!!

So that was fair week and we brought our Mom's over to watch the girls show on Thursday.  They all did well and Emma did awesome.  She just kept winning and eventually won Grand Champion sheep showman and then went on to show beef, sheep, swine, and goats....and won that contest as well!  She's struggled at fair in the past so it was fun to see her success.  The girls all did well in the Auction on Saturday night.  We bought a couple lambs to support the cause...we refuse to buy the grandkids animals...preferring to support kids who don't get good support.

7/30-8/5
Mon - Swim 1850 yds, BB chest/triceps
Tue - Pilates
Wed - Swim 2200 yds, BB back/biceps
Thur - Bike 16.3 mi, Pilates, BB shoulders
Fri - Swim 1050 yds, Run 4 mi w 4x400, BB legs
Sat - Brick-16.3 mi bike & 3 mi run
Sun - Recovery walk 1 mi

Snuck off to Suttle Lake on Tuesday evening for our 42nd anniversary.   Very Happy

Increased the weights I used for Beachbody and increased the intensity of my training...maybe a bit to much.  I paid for it Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  The MACDash is next Saturday.  I need to dial back my activities/effort this week.  I'm not expecting a great time but do want to finish feeling OK.

I kind of feel like I'm struggling...I'm sure the heat is part of the problem.  And Beachbody is harder than I expected.  It may not be reasonable for me to try and put my full effort into that 4 days a week AND do much other training.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Glad the movie was liked.  I don't know if Mark would like it or not.  After all, he wouldn't understand why a 4 legged critter wants to be around him, lick him, and not create an in-home waterfall.

Sort of seems like your property battle won't end well, but maybe both parties won't get all of what they want.  How big of a piece of land is the neighbor wanting to dedicate to a house?

What do you do with the purchased lambs?

Gratz on the anniversary and good luck next weekend at MACdash.  Maybe you'll get your picture in the paper again and get the paper to send the picture and story to Mark, so he can get it published. Because it's local news, not his local news, but it's somebody's local news.  Right?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 pm

ounce wrote:Glad the movie was liked.  I don't know if Mark would like it or not.  After all, he wouldn't understand why a 4 legged critter wants to be around him, lick him, and not create an in-home waterfall.

Sort of seems like your property battle won't end well, but maybe both parties won't get all of what they want.  How big of a piece of land is the neighbor wanting to dedicate to a house?

What do you do with the purchased lambs?

Gratz on the anniversary and good luck next weekend at MACdash.  Maybe you'll get your picture in the paper again and get the paper to send the picture and story to Mark, so he can get it published. Because it's local news, not his local news, but it's somebody's local news.  Right?
I'm pretty confident that the law is on our side and once we go back to LUBA we'll come out on top.  Not a guarantee but I think we've got a pretty good chance.  They will only take a couple acres out of production for the actual house site.  It's the location of the house that's the issue.  It's right on our border.  I might add that they already have one house on the other side of the property and can't justify a need for a second house.  Most people just don't realize how much any house in an intensively farmed area affects all the neighbors.  There's noise, smell, dust etc that just doesn't mix well with residential use.  It's easy to understand why a house should not be sited in the middle of an industrial area and that's really what a farm is.  It's also easy to understand why a pig farm shouldn't be sited in the middle of a subdivision.  The best way to avoid conflict is to keep different/conflicting uses separate.

We sold the lambs back after the sale.  The auction is a charity type event.  The kids raise the animals and then sell them at above market price and pocket the money for college or whatever.  The kids are all 4-H or FFA (Future Farmers of America) members.  It's quite an educational experience.  They have to care for and train their animals, keep financial records, do a bit of public speaking, and show their animals in front of a pretty large crowd.  We paid $14/lb for one 133 lb lamb and $15/lb for the other 137 lb lamb.  We resold them for $1.35/lb.  The kids make a hefty profit!  We do enjoy eating lamb but we eat the ones that our grand daughters raise that they don't take to fair.  Going to fair is pretty stressful on the animals and the meat isn't always the best.  The resale animals often go back on feed for a few days after the auction before heading off to slaughter.  It's something we've done for years.  I was a 4-H member and took steers to fair.  I even took a pig one year!  I also entered my sewing projects at the fair.  Our kids were very active in 4-H and FFA and our grand kids are following the family tradition.  We buy at least one animal every year even when we don't have kids or grand kids at the fair. 

Hoping for a reasonable showing in the MACDash this weekend but I'm not expecting much...I'm not as prepared as I usually am.  Numbers are way down this year.  Sad  Hope this event doesn't fade away...it's a fun one.  I asked the race director if she would make sure a few of the locals could start in the same heat this year.  She is going to try and accommodate my request.  In fact she said she would try and put Janice and I in the same lane (there are two swimmers to a lane).  Janice just swims so she goes all out and I need to conserve some energy for the bike and run portions of the race.  I do swim slightly faster than Janice but she'll make me work for a win on Saturday!  Janice is legally blind (severe tunnel vision)...and 72 years old!  She sees well enough to swim and also runs a bit but can't bike.  She participates on a team with her husband and a friend.  It's a really fun community event.  It would be a shame if we don't have the numbers to continue it in the future.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm

So this week...

Mon - Beachbody Chest/triceps, Swim 1650 yds
Tue - Brick w/11.5 mi bike & 2 mi run, BB back/biceps, Pilates
Wed - BB shoulders
Thur - Swim 750 yds...fun swim as several of the dashers were there getting in their last swim before the race.
Fri - Rest day but I'm super busy!

It's still HOT here but the prediction is for cooler temps for the race tomorrow.  And I'm in heat #2 which starts at 8:00 so I'll be off the course by 9:30 if all goes well.  The race director puts me in an earlier heat because of my heart attack and she put several locals in heat #2 so it should be fun!

I'm well prepared to participate tomorrow...not so well prepared to actually race.  Hope Fast Freddy doesn't show up to early!

Off I go...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Low of 57 in the morning and a high of 83 with 5-15 SW winds, gusting to 21.

Low of 47 Saturday night!!! Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Oh, thanks for the detail on the FFA happenings.  I was curious if y'all gifted the animal back to get resold again.

Good luck, tomorrow!  I wonder if Freddy is able to shed his heat acclimation.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum