365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Wandering aimlessly...

Go down

Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 am

I do have a goal.  It is to not have a goal!  I've decided that a mental and physical break is necessary at this point in time.  I'll still run/bike/swim...it's just a part of me now.  But I'm hoping I can stay active on a more casual level and build/keep my base while spending time with family and friends and doing things that they enjoy.  I'll participate in local events but won't train hard and I'll try not to race on race day.  Not training hard may be more difficult than training.  I'll choose a goal race and resume training in the future.  We'll see how it goes.

Off to a good start:

• Mon - Swim 2150 yds.  Total time 56 minutes.  Swim time 45 minutes.  Avg HR 97.  We may have stopped to visit longer than I realized.  Very Happy
  • Tue - Pilates.  4 mile run.  Pace 11:50.  Avg HR 142 but it was getting warm.
  • Wed - Morning tea with Marty's friends.  (We had been putting off inviting them to the farm for a long time.)
  • Thur - Pilates.  Yup...just Pilates.

Avg resting HR for the last 7 days is now down to 53.  Still battling a bit of chest congestion so I'm hoping that as that clears up it will drop a bit lower.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  Mark B on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 am

Yay! A new Nancy blog!

I think the idea of training with no set goal is a terrific idea. That minset worked very well for me a few years ago. It's what allowed me to do that 50-miler the following year. (Not that I'm suggesting that's your secret plan, mind you.) It's also what got me into barefoot running, so beware! Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am

@Mark B wrote:Yay! A new Nancy blog!

I think the idea of training with no set goal is a terrific idea. That minset worked very well for me a few years ago. It's what allowed me to do that 50-miler the following year. (Not that I'm suggesting that's your secret plan, mind you.) It's also what got me into barefoot running, so beware! Laughing
Well I am not going to do this if there is a chance it may lead to an ultra or barefoot running!!!!! What a Face 

I'm really struggling with the idea of not having a training plan and goal race but I'm determined to at least try and stay the course this summer.  I really wanted to get out and run this morning...  I'm going to work in the garden this morning instead.

Friday - I got in a nice easy 4 mile run.  I slowed down even more...12:14 pace.  Unfortunately even though it was cooler my HR was higher.  It felt super easy but my Avg HR was 145.  Hmmm...   Nice 2000 yd recovery type swim later in the day.

Saturday - I picked up Katie and Abby (youngest granddaughter age 10).  We headed to McKenzie Bridge where we met up with a guide and spent the afternoon rafting the McKenzie River.  Nice stretch of the river for Abby.  Exciting enough but not to scary.  It was chilly at times but not cold.  Abby and I both popped over the edge of the raft for a very quick swim near the end of the trip.  It was COLD!  I give Abby credit for being willing to get in the water.  We spent the night in a lodge room (really just a hotel type room) nearby.

Sunday - Slept in a bit and then caught up with the shuttle we had organized for our waterfall hike.  We dropped our car and then he dropped us off up the trail to walk back.  We hiked to Sahalie, Koosah, and Tamolitch (Blue Pool).  Sahalie and Koosah were gorgeous.  Blue Pool was recently "discovered" and is viral on the internet.  It was nice but to be honest it was anti-climatic.  Katie and I were both unimpressed.  I think the fact that it was just jam packed with people near the falls was the main reason.  People are so self-centered and as a result quite rude at times.  We were also hungry and tired by then.  Our 6 mile hike turned into 8 miles but Abby did well.  She said that she enjoyed it even though it was hard...she was still bouncing from rock to rock in the last mile.  Smile  She did say that she did NOT want to plan an overnight backpacking trip for her 12 year trip with me.

Monday - 4 mile easy run.  Kept the pace at 11:56.  Avg HR 145 again.  I just seem to settle in in the low/mid 140s no matter how slow I go.   Finished up the day with 1700 yds in the pool.  Short fast stuff.  Fun.

Very tempted to go run this morning but since I hiked on Sunday and ran yesterday I'm determined to take today off.  My calves are a bit sore...more tired than sore I think.  I'll work in the garden this morning and then go to Pilates.  The stretching and deep breathing will be good for me.

Can I continue to wander?...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am

Mystery solved...I mentioned that my calves were sore/tired.  It dawned on me that I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak Mids to wear on the farm a couple months ago.  I like to wear a very light hiker and these were working well.  I decided to wear them on the 8 mile hike on Sunday.  Even though I've been wearing them a bit most days for several weeks I hadn't put any significant mileage on them. Shocked

I compromised with myself yesterday.  I didn't run but I did ride my bike to Pilates (and to the bank) at a relatively leisurely commuting pace.

I got a reminder from my calendar this morning letting me know that the Todd Beamer 10K is only 1 week away.  Still determined to participate and not race but it's not easy!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 pm

It's a great day to be a Beaver!!  cheers

Nice 2100 yard swim on Wednesday including some faster 50's.  Felt good.

All my runs have been extremely slow the last few weeks.  Today I decided to cautiously see what I could do.  The plan was 6x400 (400 rest) after a mile to warm up.  I started very conservatively but it felt pretty good.  Remember I do these on the road so there is some elevation changes and the intervals aren't all equal difficulty.  Here's my intervals...
2:18 @ 9:12
2:18 @ 9:15
2:12 @ 8:49
2:07 @ 8:30
2:10 @ 8:38
2:03 @ 8:12

I did not keep my HR down but average of 155, max of 178 isn't terrible.  It did feel pretty good which is very encouraging.  I still plan to run conservatively on the 4th.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:06 pm

You may find that under-achieving suits you.  I will tell you that your grandkids appreciate having active grandparents and will EXPECT the same from their parents, when they have kids.

Don't completely discount ultras.  They give you forever to do a 50K, when it's not the marquee distance.  I'm living proof of that.

Keep up something(s).  You'll be fine and that RHP will be 49 before you know it.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 pm

@ounce wrote:You may find that under-achieving suits you.  I will tell you that your grandkids appreciate having active grandparents and will EXPECT the same from their parents, when they have kids.

Don't completely discount ultras.  They give you forever to do a 50K, when it's not the marquee distance.  I'm living proof of that.

Keep up something(s).  You'll be fine and that RHP will be 49 before you know it.
 My family would kill me if I even mentioned an ultra!  It's just to big of time commitment for me at this point in my life.

Mission accomplished during the 10K on the 4th.  I finished in 56:45 @9:12.  Very small turn out this year due to several factors.  I won my age group 1st of 1.  cheers  

I was in the middle of the pack for females.  I ran 54:37 @8:52 last year and my PR for this fast downhill course is 50:48 @8:10 from 2010.  I definitely pushed harder than just a training run...I was a bit sore afterward but only a bit.  I definitely did not put forth an actual race effort.  I was pleased with both my self control and my ability to push a bit harder than just a training run.  

I paced myself really well.  My splits were 9:12, 9:15, 9:18, 9:15, 9:18 (the only small uphill on the course), 9:12, and a bit of a sprint to the finish @ 7:19.  My splits all reflect the decline/incline in elevation very well with a bit of extra effort in mile 6 and the faster finish.

Harvest has bunched up and we're absolutely swamped on the farm.  My be a couple weeks before I'm able to get out of the tractor for a workout!!!!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Woohoo!  Another picture in the newspaper coming to a porch near you.

Nicely consistent on the splits.  Well done, young lady.

As far as a 50K, it's not any more of a time commitment than a 20 mile run because you'll walk many miles.  I know you won't do it, but it's not a 50 mile.

Keep going!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm

@ounce wrote:Woohoo!  Another picture in the newspaper coming to a porch near you.

Nicely consistent on the splits.  Well done, young lady.

As far as a 50K, it's not any more of a time commitment than a 20 mile run because you'll walk many miles.  I know you won't do it, but it's not a 50 mile.

Keep going!
No ultras for me Doug...

So we've been farming!  Since the 4th we've been up at 4:00 am and on the raking tractor by 4:30.  We switch to the baling tractor when the dew is right and bale...alfalfa and then grain hay...until noon.  We finished the grain hay yesterday.  We had to stop baling alfalfa at 10:00 so I got to swim!  I felt awful and cut the workout short but it did feel nice to move.  I've been living on coffee, bananas, more coffee, muffins and more coffee and sitting way to much!  Should get better in the next few days.  Moving into bluegrass harvest and still need to cut the grass hay but we're making progress.

My actual swim didn't go to bad at all.  I felt pretty cruddy when I started.  The intervals went well but I was starting to get tired and hungry and could tell that I was going to cramp soon.  I decided that I didn't really need to do 2000+ yards.  1550 yards was a good time to stop so I did.  

I need to catch up on my sleep, hydrate, and eat better!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 am

Farmer Nancy, which of the three (alfalfa, grain, or bluegrass) sells best and do y'all get into selling contracts with the buyers, in case there's a shortage or other market pressures?

Y'all just get 6" of rain a year?  I guess y'all have access to water from a flowing body or does the hay not require a lot of water to grow?

Keep up on that resting!  Thanks.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

@ounce wrote:Farmer Nancy, which of the three (alfalfa, grain, or bluegrass) sells best and do y'all get into selling contracts with the buyers, in case there's a shortage or other market pressures?

Y'all just get 6" of rain a year?  I guess y'all have access to water from a flowing body or does the hay not require a lot of water to grow?

Keep up on that resting!  Thanks.
 That's a more complicated question than you realize Doug.

I'll start with the easy part.  We are located in what is considered a high desert.  High elevation but dry.  We get 10-11" of rain per year.  You can't even grow dry land wheat with that little rainfall.  We must irrigate to grow the crops we raise.  Hay is a very high water use crop as we get 4 cuttings of alfalfa and 3 cuttings of grass per year.  Our water (mostly snow melt from the mountains) is stored in a reservoir that's 90 miles from our farm.  The water is released from the reservoir when needed.  It travels about half way here in the Deschutes River and then it's diverted into canals for the rest of the journey.  Construction of the system was started before the war...put on hold...and finished after.  North Unit Irrigation District is one of the most efficient and productive irrigation districts in the country.  Our climate (hot days but cool nights) allows us to grow high value seed crops better than most areas.

Our most profitable crop is hybrid carrot seed, followed by peppermint oil, Kentucky bluegrass seed, Alfalfa & Grass hay, wheat, and grain hay.  We can only grow carrot seed on a piece of land every 6-7 years (disease & volunteer carrots) so we have to rotate the other crops through to produce something during the other years.  We can only grow a few acres of peppermint as the demand is limited.  Alfalfa and Grass hay are high water use crops and labor intensive as we have to harvest 3 or 4 times per year but they are relatively profitable.  The wheat and grain hay are only break even crops but they provide other benefits.  The wheat stubble makes excellent organic matter and improves soil health.  The grain hay uses very little water (one cutting per year) and harvests early to allow us to prep the soil so we can get carrots and bluegrass planted at the optimal time.  The Kentucky bluegrass is grown for seed (golf courses and lawn mixes) but we bale off the "straw" after we thrash out the seed.  We sell it as low value livestock feed but primarily bale it to remove it from the field.  Farmers used to just burn it but that's frowned upon in today's climate.

The carrot seed, bluegrass seed, and peppermint are all contracted and can't be grown without a contract.  The other crops we must market ourselves.  Kevin has been actively looking for other options to add to our rotation.  We planted a small field of hybrid parsley seed this year.  We haven't harvested yet so don't know how profitable it will be but it looks good and he plans to plant a slightly larger field next month for harvest next summer.  We may try sugar beet seed and/or spinach seed as well.  We're still trying to decide if they fit into our crop rotation.

More information than you needed but it's fun to share!

Shorter day of baling today so I was able to go to Pilates.  Mowed the lawns and cleaned up around the farmstead afterwards.  We have a bus load of politicians coming for a farm tour on Thursday!!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Yesterday at 9:42 am

Still just wandering but I did wander a bit farther the last couple days...

Mon - Swim 1550 yds
Tue - Pilates
Wed - Farming stuff
Thur - Farming stuff
Fri - Swim 1500 yds
Sat - Strength 20 min, 3.5 mile treadmill run
Sun - Bike 14 miles

My short break after my triathlon has turned into a long lazy period...complicated by the heat and farming conflicts.  I decided enough is enough.  Natalie (Kevin's wife and mom of the 3 boys) has a small group friends that workout using an online program and share their frustrations and successes.  I decided to join for the accountability.  I did one of the "practice" workouts on Saturday.  They are tough! We're starting a 6 week program today.  It's 4 days a week for 30-40 minutes.  I'm trying to buddy up with Katie and encourage her to be more active as well.  It has a nutrition component as well which I'm not doing.

I also decided that I needed to stop using the heat as an excuse.  I got in a short run on the dreadmill...yes it was dreadful...on Saturday.  I headed to the pool on the bike on Sunday afternoon (after baling all morning).  It was HOT but I kept the pace easy and stopped for water a few times.  Felt OK after a cool shower.

Funny farming story.  I was driving the combine early afternoon on Saturday when Marty called and said that Kevin just delivered a truck load of seed to the local seed company and a piece of the combine fell out of the back of the truck.   Shocked  I stopped and he came and took a quick look and we headed to the shop with the combine.  It was a small piece of the lower sieve that separates the seed (Kentucky bluegrass) from the stems.  It left a hole so the stems were falling into the clean seed.  Not a huge issue as it was a very small percentage of the sieve but it needed to be repaired.  We were able to get a new sieve and install it and were back up and running by that evening.  We lost several hours in the field so our planned day off on Sunday did not materialize but we did manage a few hours of rest (bike ride) in the afternoon.

Disappointed that I had to bale early Sunday morning and wasn't able to head up to Mt. Hood to see Mark, Alita, and Dr. Beckerman at the start of the race but we would have been playing catch up all week if I hadn't baled.  That's farm life I guess.

MACDash in 4 weeks!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum