365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 19 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Low HR Run: 10.25 miles

Weather: Clear with increasing clouds, cool, muggy and windy. 52 degrees, gusts to 18 mph. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Carried nuun in handheld.

Felt a bit out-of-sync this morning, with gunk-filled eyes and creaky hips. Got less than 5 hours sleep last night, which probably didn't help, and shared a bottle of bubbly with my better half, which was nice but probably didn't help, either. Smile

I started to warm up after a few miles after I met up with my training partner at the Salmon Creek Greenway trailhead. We ran at what felt like an easy pace as we talked. I noticed later that we were going sub-10 at a low HR for those miles, which was cool. After the turnaround, we slowed down a little, but my HR fell a LOT. Crazy, but a good sign, I think. The lower that HR gets at a reasonable pace, the longer I should be able to maintain that reasonable pace.

My buddy and I parted when I had about two miles left, and I eased up the hill coming up from the greenway - again, with a heart rate a lot lower than I'd expected. I felt a little depleted, and my body wasn't in the mood to pick up the HR/pace. So I tried to relax and just cruise home, remembering that it's good practice to keep going even with a little discomfort. It's always good to keep demonstrating to your brain/body that discomfort doesn't equal imminent disaster.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 130 (!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:35 pm

That extra overdrive gear in your transmission has kicked in, now. I am going to wonder in print whether the race environment will spike your starting HR rate a bit, once you cross the start line.

Forgot to gratz you on your 27 miler, earlier. So, gratz!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 pm

ounce wrote:That extra overdrive gear in your transmission has kicked in, now. I am going to wonder in print whether the race environment will spike your starting HR rate a bit, once you cross the start line.

Forgot to gratz you on your 27 miler, earlier. So, gratz!

Thanks on the gratz! I'm planning to do about 26.2 tomorrow on the trails. I'll be trying Roctane Sport Drink mix, which they're serving during the race, so I can only imagine what drinking fluid with calories from the start of a long run will do to me. Yipes! bounce bounce bounce

As far as race day goes, who knows? I will have tapered a bit, but I'll have race day excitement, family awareness, caloric sport drink, and relatively minor altitude (~3,200 to ~4,400 feet) playing into the picture. I'll be wearing my Garmin (I'm planning to run using my low HR guidelines to guide me), so we'll be able to see what happens. The mad scientist in me approves.

One thing has come up that's intriguing. Race organizers are going to have a supported course preview run on June 23, a Sunday. They're offering runs of 12 or 24 miles. I'm scheduled to actually do 28 that day, but it seems tempting, if possible logistically. If I do it, I'd bring along Alita and Alec, and hope they could keep themselves occupied for 5 hours or so in the woods, hopefully NOT swatting mosquitoes. As for the distance, they said we could do more if we wanted, or I could do another four at home, or I could just not worry about it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 am

Sounds like you should do the 24 mile preview run to me. Enjoy!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:32 pm

You would be crazy not to do the preview 24. 4 more miles on that one day will make no difference to your fitness for the race. Just do it.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Sounds like you should do the 24 mile preview run to me. Enjoy!

charles.moman wrote:You would be crazy not to do the preview 24. 4 more miles on that one day will make no difference to your fitness for the race. Just do it.

Wow. Two enthusiastic recommendations. I'll have to see if I can make it work. The run starts at 9, and it's about a 2 hour drive from here.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Trail Run: 26.2 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 53-65 degrees. Gear: Altra Superiors, shorts, T, Camelbak. Fuel: Double-dose of Grape Nuts before, coffee. Drank 80 ounces of Roctane Sport Drink during; granola bars at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00; Gu at 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30. One S-Cap before, then another every 30 minutes.

A marathon-length training run on the Wildwood Trail in Portland's Forest Park. I mixed it up a little this morning, putting Roctane Energy Drink in my Camelbak instead of nuun. They're serving it at the Mount Hood 50, so I thought I'd better find out if it agreed with me. Quick answer: Yes. The first swig tasted like swill, but the second (and every one after that) was fine. No stomach problems whatsoever (though my pee smelled like sport drink after I got done, which was very weird). I kept with my "real food" on the hour and Gu on the half approach, with an S-Cap every 30 minutes.

I don't know if it was the fueling, or improving fitness, but this run felt easier. I hit my checkpoints sooner - not so soon as to suggest I was going too hard - and kept the effort level pretty easy throughout. I noticed in the last few miles that my HR was drifting down, even while going uphill. That was nice to see. My legs got sore, of course, and my ankles complained toward the end, but not horribly so.

Here's the elevation chart. (There's no way the projected elevation gain/loss is accurate, though there really is no flat part on that trail.)

Stalking 50 - Page 19 Screen17

After all, I did 27.2 miles last Monday and kept the miles up all week before running another marathon distance today. While it felt easier than other shorter runs I've done, there's no way it couldn't be a challenge.

My average pace for the whole distance works out to 13:36, which (in the unlikely event I didn't slow down in later miles) would translate to an 11:11 over 50 miles. Probably not likely, but it would be nice to see.

Hm. Two marathon distances (or more) in two weeks. Does that qualify me for "Maniac" standard?

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 135
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool. 60 degrees

A slow recovery walk during lunch along the Columbia River. I've been feeling this weekend's efforts today, less with sore muscles than overall fatigue. It's a weird sensation; it's like being a quart down on something. I keep trying to find a type of food that fills the void, but I haven't found it. Of course, what I probably need is simply rest.

Very glad it's a stepback week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on dry asphalt

Weather: Overcast, cool, muggy. 55 degrees, 85% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee for breakfast.

This morning's barefoot jaunt was strictly a recovery affair. I kept my HR well below my MAF level and focused on trying to run relaxed. It was pretty effective, and it felt pretty good. When I'd feel a tight spot complain, I'd slow and jog in place for a moment to remind my body of proper form before starting to move again.

I also aimed for the roughest parts of the street, just to keep me honest. It's too easy to get sloppy when the asphalt is too smooth underfoot. 

Average HR for entire run: 129 (My Pace/AvgHR for each mile was 10:47/126; 10:20/130; 10:26/132.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

What in the hell is going on up there?

Kitten Born with Two Faces
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

mul21 wrote:What in the hell is going on up there?

Kitten Born with Two Faces

Whoa. Very weird! Poor thing.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Low HR Run: 6.26 miles

Weather: A shower, then cool and muggy. 57 degrees, 85% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, hat, jacket (peeled off) Fuel: Post breakfast. Carried nuun in handheld.

My pre-run HR dropped into the low 50s this morning, so my recovery from last Monday's long run seems to be on track. I went out on a showery day without protective gear - until it started raining the minute I stepped outside. I dashed back in, grabbed my windbreaker and hat, and tried again. Of course, it stopped raining after less than a mile...

My legs felt fairly peppy, and it shows somewhat in my splits. Nothing fast, mind you -- that'd take a different type of training -- but it wasn't bad, either.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Hill Run: 8.26 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, muggy. 58 degrees, 78% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Grape Nuts as snack. Carried nuun in handheld. Took one S-Cap before.

I debated going out on my Llama Ridge route, or taking a jaunt into the hills. Weirdly enough, most of the debate ended up being about which would be easier: flats, where I'd run faster, or hills, where my speed would ebb and flow with the terrain. I opted for the hills. 

The run felt pretty good, as I practiced easing my way uphill and relaxing on the downhills. I started to feel it in the later miles, and my average HR fell a bit. But as I look at my splits now, I can't help but notice that those last two miles with the lowest heart rate were also my fastest. Not sure what to make of that (it was not the hilliest part).

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Low HR Run: 10.38 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, muggy. 55 degrees, 88% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Nothing during.

Midway into what was going to be an 8-mile run, I decided to mix things up a little and switch my back-to-back orientation from sorta long/long to long/sorta long. It was mainly because I'm doing a long training run on the MH50 course next Sunday, but it was also because I want to get as many days between my last long run and the race as possible, being that I'm looking at a taper of less than two weeks. Also, it was a nice day, the run felt good, and my training partner's knee wasn't bugging him.

We cruised at an easy pace, and I was again pleasantly surprised to see speeds faster than I'd expect at heart rates a lot lower than I'd expect. Nice. It felt good enough that, as my buddy slightly picked up the pace in the last quarter mile, I joked about us dropping the hammer to the end. 

He said "Oh no, we're past that sort of thing now," or something like that, which was, of course, a mistake.

"Oh, you didn't just say that," I said. "You didn't just do a throw-down like that." And I began to accelerate. He laughed, picked up the pace, and in short order we were running sub-7 (me goading him about probably having an AARP card coming in the mail for his 50th birthday next week). We were both laughing when we finished.

Ha. Take that! Old is a choice.  

Walked first 5, last 7 minutes. Average HR for whole run 131.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Always good to blow the carbon out of, or whatever that old crazy gearhead saying was. Gotta remember to have some fun!

Happy Father's Day.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Always good to blow the carbon out of, or whatever that old crazy gearhead saying was. Gotta remember to have some fun!

Happy Father's Day.

Yup! True on both counts. And thanks!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Low HR Run: 90 minutes (8.25 miles)

Weather: Mostly sunny, a little warm, a little muggy. 66-71 degrees, ~60% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, sun hat. Fuel: Post breakfast. Took one S-Cap before. Carried nuun in handheld.

I was in a crappy mood this morning. Sore from yesterday's spurt of speed, scratched up and bruised from some annoying yard chore last night, aggravated at a bunch of petty things this morning (ever find a slug on a fresh strawberry in your  breakfast? ewg.) and feeling generally surly and disgusted with everything. 

So when I finally got around to getting ready to run, I wasn't really in the mood for it. (Glad it isn't a super long day.) But as I got ready and walked outside, I looked down at my HR. It was about 55. Whaa? So, stress *calms* my system? Great. 

I started out. Very sore. I still deny that I'm "old" - whatever that's supposed to mean - but my legs were not accustomed to that level of intensity, especially at my current mileage load. So I went easy, telling myself that one purpose of running sore is that it'll help me prepare psychologically for when my legs get sore out there on June 13. It's not an injury pain; it's just discomfort. So I pressed on, and I noticed that my HR wasn't rising as much as it usually does. Even uphill. 

I figured I was going slow. But when I hit the first mile after my warmup, it was 10:08. Not bad. The next mile was 10:10. Okay, that's acceptable. Then heading down Llama Ridge, 9:55. I paused at the turnaround and looked at some data. My HR for those three miles were, respectively, 133, 136, 136. Whoa. Really? I started back up Llama Ridge for the return 11:02/134; then 10:26/137; 10:26/137; and the final mile in 10:26/140 (counting going through the ravine). 

I've got to check some old runs, because I hit 8+ miles in 90 minutes, at a far lower HR than I ever remember. (Note: I checked my records and found that I have *never* run this route with an average HR of 130, no matter the distance. I've run farther than 8.25 in 90 minutes on this route, but my HR was always pretty significantly higher when I did. The closest I came to matching this was once, while I was tapering for the Eugene Marathon in 2010. That was my last marathon PR.) I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering how much I've been working at this, but still: it's nice to see.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 130 (!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Walk: About 4 miles

Weather: Sunny with some clouds, warm. 68 degrees. A little muggy (44% humidity)

This is probably going to be my longest week of my ultra preps, so I went out for a long walk today at lunch. I did the first half in 34 minutes, then picked up the pace enough on the return to negative split by about 90 seconds (and get a bit more sweaty than usual). 

The odd thing about my walks is that I have a difficult time walking fast. I averaged a 16:40 pace today, and it was all I could do to maintain it. How these people can fly along as fast as they do is beyond me. I'd rather run, thankyouverymuch.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm glad you're running on the course on Sunday.  That should take away 28 miles of the unknown for the course.

So do you think your soreness is cumulative mileage related?  Maybe the shoes are wearing down?  Getting old, er, um, not as spry?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:20 pm

ounce wrote:I'm glad you're running on the course on Sunday.  That should take away 28 miles of the unknown for the course.

So do you think your soreness is cumulative mileage related?  Maybe the shoes are wearing down?  Getting old, er, um, not as spry?

TOTALLY cumulative mileage, Ounce. I've never ran this consistently, or this far, before in my life.

Age? Pfft. Wink

And correct: The Sunday run is on the course (including a bit of downed tree hurdling practice, I hear), though the proscribed distance they're doing is only 24. I will be fretting, of course, whether that'll be sufficient or whether I need to stay out longer.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm

You're going to be spending a lot of time on that course.  I can't imagine the information gathered on those trails will do nothing but help you out because you can concentrate on the course you didn't run.

And you'll have the comfort of knowing that your wife and son have already been to the venue, so they can entertain themselves while you're concentrating on the course known and unknown.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 am

ounce wrote:You're going to be spending a lot of time on that course.  I can't imagine the information gathered on those trails will do nothing but help you out because you can concentrate on the course you didn't run.

And you'll have the comfort of knowing that your wife and son have already been to the venue, so they can entertain themselves while you're concentrating on the course known and unknown.

True. And with any luck, they'll learn to avoid whatever parts of the woods up there are teeming with mosquitoes. What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 am

ounce wrote:You're going to be spending a lot of time on that course.  I can't imagine the information gathered on those trails will do nothing but help you out because you can concentrate on the course you didn't run.

This can only be so true.  I'm excited for you already.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

This can only be so true.  I'm excited for you already.

All very true. (And welcome back, Michele! And thanks.) The family seems fine with heading up there on Sunday, and they're going to volunteer on race day, as well. They'll do anything for a free T-shirt and all the burgers and hot dogs they can eat! Wink

As for excitement, I am feeling a little of it myself in a bit of near-taperesque anxiety about the final few weeks of my long preparation for this run. Specifically, I'm wondering about when I should start taper. I made a miscalculation somewhere along the way, and ended up with an abbreviated taper of 12 days after my last back-to-back of 28-12. (I at least swapped the position of the long-long and sorta long runs to get as many days as possible between the long-long run and the event.)

I could simply drop that last peak week and trust that the 11 days worth of 20+ miles I've done this year (20.3, 20.3, 20.2, 22.2, 24.1, 20.2, 22.3, 24.2, 24.2, 27.3, 26.2 so far) have prepared me as well as I can for going 50 miles, or I could trust my body's ability to bounce back in less than two weeks and add that one extra layer of mental and physical conditioning.

There probably is no right or wrong answer to this -- the only way to test this is to do the race -- which has my brain slightly unsettled on this one issue.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Barefoot Run: 4.16 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, a little muggy, a breeze. 60 degrees, 70% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: After breakfast. No fuel or fluid for run.

Today's the first day of summer vacation for Alec (Alita has one more day of training before she's free until summer school), so I took the day off to celebrate their vacations. (Hm...) 

It's great that they get some time off, and it'll be great to see them more. It will, however, require a little schedule shuffling just as I'm hitting the longest weeks of this whole process. Whee! Good thing I'm not OCD or anything...

I went out with Alec to do some laps around the block barefoot. We did a mile together at his pace, then he went inside and rested while I did a second mile. I fetched him for another mile, then I did the fourth mile on my own. The run felt pretty good, though switching gears between running with Alec and going solo confused my legs a bit.

My next shuffle will be swapping days for my sorta-long run, and getting up early in the morning to do them. I'll do 12 tomorrow, then 6 on Friday. That matches the original ultraladies plan, which normally puts the long-long run on Sunday, not Monday as I have been doing. This will leave the optimum space between the sorta-long and the long-long. (If that's too convoluted sounding, I apologize. Alas, this is how my mind works.)

Average HR for entire run 125
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum: