365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 18 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 18 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Mark B wrote: Oh well. At least my shoes won't get wet.

LOL Laughing
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote: Oh well. At least my shoes won't get wet.

LOL Laughing

Very Happy

The universe being what it is, the skies opened up as I arrived at work. Even with an umbrella and GoreTex, I am going to be soggy for a while. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Walk: About 3 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, breezy, a couple of raindrops.

A walk on the Interstate Bridge over the Columbia River to Portland and back to the office in Vancouver. I managed to avoid this morning's rain. The local doppler radar was off-line, so I had to trust my luck. It mostly held. I only had to use my umbrella in the last half mile. Other than that, it was a nice day for a walk.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Low HR Run: 6.26 miles

Weather: Mixed. Clouds, rain, wind, sun. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, hat, jacket (off and on, depending on the rain) Fuel: Handful of carrots before. Nothing during.

Lots of errands this morning pushed my run back.. just in time for what looked to be a dousing. Doppler showed a heavy rain shower en route, so I grabbed a jacket and hat just in case. The shower must have veered east, because I only got somewhat wet.

The run was pretty routine. The first non warmup mile was pleasantly speedy (9:42) and I was able to keep it under a 10/mi pace in the mile after that. I popped a U-turn and headed back, pausing for a couple of minutes to get a bunch of construction staples off the road that had fallen out of a pickup and were just waiting to ruin somebody's day.

Walked the first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Hills: 10.27 miles (~1,056 feet of climbing)

Weather: Mostly sunny, with a few puffy clouds. 58-61 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Slightly larger breakfast, carried Gu Brew in handheld. (stevia! yuk!)

I usually avoid calling my excursions anything other than runs, but today's turned out to be a workout. I had a 10-miler on the schedule, and I decided to get some hill stimulus in the rolling country north of my house. It was also a mostly sunny day, so I was able to practice running in direct sun and managing my handheld and waist pack, which is probably what I'll be gearing up with at the MH 50.

I kept the effort level easy, trying to float up the hills with as low a heart rate as possible. I eventually had to walk off the top of a few of the steeper hills, but I still ran far more than I walked on the inclines. I know that'll change come race day, but I'm still working on building my leg strength. (Note: My Garmin said I climbed 1,384 feet; my "corrected" GPS track in RunningAHEAD said 1,532, but USATF's mapping tool tracking on maps said 1,056... so I guess I'll go with that. Ain't technology grand?)

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134

(Note: My weight has eased back a pound or two from a month or so ago. Woot!)

I have a rest day tomorrow, a 10-miler that I'll run on easier terrain on Sunday, then a 26-miler on Monday. Not sure exactly where I'm going to run that one... I don't have enough time to drive it to the trail, run for about six hours, and drive back in time to get cleaned up for a late afternoon appointment. It looks like I'll have to do it on local roads.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

One extra thing I just noticed, as I was noodling around with my running logs.

Today, I surpassed - in five months - the total number of miles I did all last year.

Granted, I cut way back on my mileage last year... but still, it's nice to see.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Low HR Run: 10.28 miles

Weather: Sunny, mild, muggy, breezy. 56-58 degrees, 85% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Carried nuun in handheld.

My body felt out of whack this morning as I started my run -- leftover impact of the hilly run I did on Friday, I presume -- but I kept at it and was happy to loosen up after I got a few miles in. I kept the effort level low, targeting my MAF heart rate of 138, and did a pretty good job at it. My paces were pretty good, actually, which was nice to see.

I finished the run about 8 minutes faster than my run on Friday. Sure shows the difference between only some hills and a lot of hills.

I'm a little anxious about my run tomorrow. It's scheduled for 26 miles, and I can't get to a trail in the time I have available. So I'm going to have to expand on that hilly road route. Should be a challenge.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

You can handle it. You're still in your 40's. Smile
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 am

ounce wrote:You can handle it. You're still in your 40's. Smile

Guess we'll find out. Just about to head out the door. Giddyup.

Ride
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Long Run: 27.27 miles (on lots of hills)

Weather: Started off cloudy and 54, clouds burned off and temp rose slowly to 70. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Double-dose of Grape Nuts for breakfast. ~130 ounces nuun, 3 packages of granola bars, 4 gu, lots of S-Caps.

Longest run ever. On the hardest route I could devise. Guess I had something to prove. Guess I proved it.*

Found a good fueling rhythm for today: "real" food on the hour (started at two hours) of about 200 cal, a Gu at the half hour (100 cal). Drank from the camelbak every 15 minutes. After some experimenting settled in to an S-Cap every 30 minutes.

The run went pretty well, actually. I tacked on an extra mile to spend more time out there - roads are inherently faster than trails - and I was surprised to find that the most difficult parts weren't the hills.. but the flats. My legs were happier climbing than cruising. Go figure.

Good thing. There was something like 2,900 feet of climbing in this run. (The USATF mapping tool actually says it was only 1,973. Either way, it was pretty hilly.)

Lots of rolling miles in the 11:30 range, which is a good target for thinking longer. I slowed a bit after 20 miles, and in the hillier parts, but I was able to run a lot more than I thought I'd be able to while still keeping my HR in what I think is an acceptable level.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 137

*-So, that sounded cocky, but it wasn't meant to be. This run had scared me as I was preparing to do it. The combination of those up-and-down hills at that distance -- especially hitting them again after 20 miles -- had me worried that I'd either flame out or hurt myself somehow. Neither happened. In fact, it wasn't that bad at all, which was a nice confidence builder. I just had to prove it ... to myself. And in "proving," I mean that it's proving to me that the preparations I've been doing have made runs like this possible.

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Nice work, Mark! I get that your legs were happier climbing than on the flats - my experience as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nice work, Mark! I get that your legs were happier climbing than on the flats - my experience as well.

Thanks, Michele! It was a very nice thing. And I was able to go up hills - even well into the run - and keep my heart rate at a reasonable level. I had to walk a little, mostly after 20 miles on the steepest bits, but I was expecting that.

Here's the map and elevation profile to show how the run looked:

Stalking 50 - Page 18 Screen14

Something I wasn't expecting: Getting a nice view of a bald eagle soaring over the greenway. So cool.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 am

I heard back from the RD about their choice of fluids at the Mount Hood 50, and I got a surprise.

They're going to be serving Roctane Energy Drink, which packs 240 calories in a single 21-ounce bottle serving. Now, I know that's probably not that much more than other sport drinks (they tend to measure calories in 8-ounce servings, not 21 ounce), but it's still way more fluid calories than I've been consuming drinking nuun.

Anybody ever try this stuff before? I'll have to get some to try out on a long run to make sure it doesn't turn me green.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Sunny, almost warm. 72 degrees

Had time for a couple of miles during lunch at work as active recovery from yesterday. It was about right. Part of me wanted to go farther, but I recognized that it was my ego talking and that less in this instance was the wiser choice.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Mark B wrote:I heard back from the RD about their choice of fluids at the Mount Hood 50, and I got a surprise.

They're going to be serving Roctane Energy Drink, which packs 240 calories in a single 21-ounce bottle serving. Now, I know that's probably not that much more than other sport drinks (they tend to measure calories in 8-ounce servings, not 21 ounce), but it's still way more fluid calories than I've been consuming drinking nuun.

Anybody ever try this stuff before? I'll have to get some to try out on a long run to make sure it doesn't turn me green.

Never tried it, but it is a Gu product and I received some in a race packet. Maybe I'll get around to trying it if it isn't as hard as a rock Rolling Eyes
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:I heard back from the RD about their choice of fluids at the Mount Hood 50, and I got a surprise.

Never tried it, but it is a Gu product and I received some in a race packet. Maybe I'll get around to trying it if it isn't as hard as a rock Rolling Eyes

Mmm. Fossilized sport drink mix. Tasty. I think I've got some chunks of Gatorade rattling around in my pantry, myself.

At least you HAVE some. Why is it that race directors opt for the most exotic, hard-to-find product out there? Okay, it may be great, but it's so new on the market that it's very hard to find in store. I had to let my fingers do the walking this morning to find somebody in driving distance who actually sells the stuff.

Sure, I guess I could just buy it online, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay shipping. Made a bunch of phone calls, usually meeting with complete mystification on the other end of the phone line, until I got to REI. Bless 'em, they carry the stuff! Whew. A drive to P-Town, I can handle.

---

One extra note on yesterday's run. I did a little research into a weird bout of mysterious goosebumps I got about two hours in, after the sun came out but before it started warming up). Research suggests that it was a heat/dehydration problem.

Luckily, I used my feeling weird as a prompt to refuel - and I also decided to double my S-Cap intake. I discovered a little later that I'd only consumed 32 ounces in the first 2:30 of my run, so I started drinking more, too, and it seemed to help.

I originally thought it was a fueling issue, but I suspect now that it was the electrolytes - and later, the fluid - that made the difference. I didn't have any other problems for the rest of the run. Good lesson.

---

Sigh. ANOTHER lesson. The top of my head started sort of, well, hurting at work today. My 6-foot-4 boss looked down on it and went "Eww.. magenta!" Yup. I forgot to put suncreen up there. I got everything else but that. I had a Headsweats hat in my bag, but didn't put it on because it's always seemed to me that hats generally trap the heat. I'd much rather feel the wind in my hair.

Another good argument for running in shady woods. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Sunny and sorta warm. 64 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: After breakfast (with first backyard strawberries of the year!)

Happy National Running Day! No, I'd never heard of it either, but hey, I'll take it.

I went out for a barefoot run, to work out whatever kinks remained from my long run on Monday. Turns out, there really weren't any kinks to work out! The run was smooth and easy, and a little faster than I'd expected. It may have partly been due to me fooling around trying to take a selfie of my bare feet while running and not paying attention to my speed. Wink

The HR was a little higher than ideal, but not horribly so. The splits were remarkably consistent, too. (9:52, 9:55, 9:52)

Average HR for entire run: 138

Oh, here's the best selfie of the bunch. It's a little tricky pointing an iPhone and hold it stead while running and avoiding bits of pointy things on the road. Very Happy

Stalking 50 - Page 18 47489910

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Walk: 3.1 miles

Weather: Sunny, warm. 77 degrees. Appreciated a breeze off the river.

Took a lunchtime walk over the Interstate Bridge to Portland and back. It was warmer than I expected, so it was nice when a bit of a breeze kicked up off the Columbia River.

Since I don't appear the worse for wear from last Sunday and Monday's fun, I'm working to keep the mileage as close as I can this week to last week. I may throttle back on the hills a bit, though. Maybe.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Low HR Run: 6.32 miles in the blazin' sun

Weather: Blazing sun. A bit of a breeze. 65-71 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Granola bar before, carried handheld with nuun during. Legs felt depleted, so I'll suck in a few more carbs than usual today and see if it helps.

I had several chores to do this morning, so I ended up doing my 6-mile run a little later than I'd hoped. The sun was getting pretty high in the sky and felt pretty warm. I considered but decided against a hat.

I think my body hasn't fully recharged from Monday. My HR was fairly low at the start (58) but my legs felt depleted as the run went on ... but they also felt fairly strong and relaxed, as well. After a mile at sub-10, my pace sagged to the mid-10s as I felt the sun more. I'm chalking this one up as a good stimulus for heat/sun acclimatization.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run 129
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Mark B wrote:Walk: 3.1 miles

Weather: Sunny, warm. 77 degrees. Appreciated a breeze off the river.

Took a lunchtime walk over the Interstate Bridge to Portland and back. It was warmer than I expected,

Surprised you didn't melt. Shocked

Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 6.32 miles in the blazin' sun

Weather: Blazing sun. A bit of a breeze. 65-71 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Granola bar before, carried handheld with nuun during. Legs felt depleted, so I'll suck in a few more carbs than usual today and see if it helps.

I had several chores to do this morning, so I ended up doing my 6-mile run a little later than I'd hoped. The sun was getting pretty high in the sky and felt pretty warm. I considered but decided against a hat.

I think my body hasn't fully recharged from Monday. My HR was fairly low at the start (58) but my legs felt depleted as the run went on ... but they also felt fairly strong and relaxed, as well. After a mile at sub-10, my pace sagged to the mid-10s as I felt the sun more. I'm chalking this one up as a good stimulus for heat/sun acclimatization.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run 129

As far as the hat, I used to just put sunscreen on, but sweating just neutered it. That's why I use the sweatvac. It's not stylish, unless you're a motorcycle rider, but it accomplishes the objective plus it is portable.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm

ounce wrote:Surprised you didn't melt. Shocked
Or sparkle. Stalking 50 - Page 18 80612010

(They set teen romance-horror books in my neck of the woods for a reason...)

ounce wrote:As far as the hat, I used to just put sunscreen on, but sweating just neutered it. That's why I use the sweatvac. It's not stylish, unless you're a motorcycle rider, but it accomplishes the objective plus it is portable.

I tried sunscreen, but I couldn't get it past the hair without getting all slicked back like Gordon Gekko.

I have a Headsweats cap, but it's so small that it feels like I'm wearing a yarmulke with a brim. It looks ridiculous, and it offers no room for air circulation whatsoever. I'm hoping to find something where the heat can escape.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 am

Mark great to read that you are still plugging away!! It's great to see you having and inputting so much fun into your running. It helps remain me from time to time what it's all about!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am

Hey if you are interested in a 50k race which I'm thinking about doing in the future (can't this year) checkout the Cle Elum Ridge 50k.

http://www.cleelum50k.com
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Schuey wrote:Mark great to read that you are still plugging away!! It's great to see you having and inputting so much fun into your running. It helps remain me from time to time what it's all about!!

Hey if you are interested in a 50k race which I'm thinking about doing in the future (can't this year) checkout the Cle Elum Ridge 50k.

http://www.cleelum50k.com

Hey, Schuey! Thanks for stopping by. I find myself ankle-deep in gloom often enough that I really try to keep focusing on the fun part.

I'm hoping that will come in handy at about Mile 37 of the Mount Hood 50 next month. Wink

I looked at the Cle Elum Ridge 50k website and wasn't surprised to see it's a Rainshadow Running event after I looked at the elevation profile. Those folks know how to find brutal, if beautiful, places to run! I did a 25k they put on a few years ago and, boy howdy, did it kick my butt!

Another one they do that looks spectacular is the Angels Staircase 60k/35k. It is so remote and rugged that you're required to have run at least two mountain 50k events or longer before they will let you register for the 60k. But the views? Probably worth it. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Hills: 10.3 miles

Weather: Increasing clouds, warm. 64-70 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, hat. Fuel: Extra-big bowl of Grape Nuts, coffee. Carried nuun in handheld. Two S-Caps at the turnaround point.

I had some foot/ankle soreness after yesterday's run, so I wanted to keep the intensity down. Oddly, that meant going for my hilly route, where speed is even less an issue than normally.

I kept to a low HR discipline, rarely letting my HR get above 143 (I'd let it slip up a little more if I was almost to the top of the hill, or if I could bring it back down by slowing down and not walking). It felt better than my flatter run yesterday, despite -- or maybe because of -- all the ups and downs.

Stalking 50 - Page 18 Screen15

I was hoping for overcast this morning but got mostly sunny weather, at least at first, so I gave in and tried out my old Headsweats hat. I figured, I can't see it on, and I'm probably the only one who'd care -- or even notice -- how it looked, so what the heck. I found I had to pull the hat off every mile or so to get my sweaty head a chance to air out a bit, but it probably worked as well as anything else, so I'll probably just stick with that.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134

Note: My weight after the run was 4 pounds heavier than a week ago! Last week's lower weight was either a fluke - or it suckered me into thinking I could pig out. Whatever. This isn't the time for a crash diet, but I'll try to not get carried away.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum