365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd time's a charm!

+28
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Dave P
jon c
Mark B
Joel H
Chris M
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Tom H
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
32 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 9 Empty Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

mul21 wrote:Nick, it certainly does! That's actually a work car as I was in Springfield, MO yesterday, but that's the one I drive when I travel.

I knocked out 10 last night at GAish pace. I finished right at 1:18 for the run, which works out to 7:48 miles. That's a tad slower than I've been doing these, but the 85+ degree gym was a huge factor and my HR was up near 85% of max during the last couple miles, so I figured that was plenty.

Off to the gym right now for another 12 miles with the last 3 moderately hard. Should be interesting since my legs are less than fresh since I grabbed the wrong pair of shoes on the way out of town yesterday. The Asics DS Trainers that have been retired since early spring got thrown in my bag by mistake and they have less than great cushioning anymore.

Good luck running on retired shoes. At least the treadmill will help cushion and take some of the blow for you.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 pm

My run sucked (but I got it done), I had to mow the lawn, and while doing so got stung by a bee. Now, I'm hungry and crabby. I blame Mike and his fake friend request on FB (which I didn't answer by the way).
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 pm

mul21 wrote:My run sucked (but I got it done), I had to mow the lawn, and while doing so got stung by a bee. Now, I'm hungry and crabby. I blame Mike and his fake friend request on FB (which I didn't answer by the way).

HAHA!! The key phase above is that you "got it done"...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 am

So, after 6 easy miles this morning, I'm still not halfway to my mileage total for the week. Slightly depressing, but after 4 tonight, I'll be at 38 with only two easy 6 milers and a 20 to go. This morning started out slow and creaky, with a first mile that was just shy of 9:30 pace. I loosened up nicely after that and after all the heat we've had, it was a relatively cool morning, albeit a tad humid. There was even a nice breeze on the way back in. Ended up averaging 9:05 miles for the run, which is good after the first slow mile.

I mentioned getting stung by a bee last night. I didn't really notice it this morning until after I was done running, but I now have a spot just outside of the bee sting on my left knee that feels like it's really bruised. I haven't been stung by a bee in probably 15 years, but man did it hurt and I was kind of surprised there was as much of an issue with it this morning as there was.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 am

I didn't realize you were logging such high weekly mileage Jim. What's your goal race for this year? Are you doing any says of doubles?
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 am

Seth Harrison wrote:I didn't realize you were logging such high weekly mileage Jim. What's your goal race for this year? Are you doing any says of doubles?

Well, somebody hasn't been religiously following my blog! lol!

This will be my second 70 mile week this cycle and let me tell you, I can feel it. It's really weird when a 50-55 mile week seems like it's just a run of the mill average week.

I'm running Chicago with all the other crazy people on here that will be there. Should be a good time! I'm shooting for sub-3:10 at a minimum and I think I have an outside shot at 3:05 if the weather is good and things progress as they have been so far.

I'm doing about one double a week now, but they weren't a regular thing early in the cycle. I've managed to up my running to only one day off every two weeks and seem to be holding up well. I think the doubles are going to become a weekly thing to keep the mileage relatively high.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

mul21 wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:I didn't realize you were logging such high weekly mileage Jim. What's your goal race for this year? Are you doing any says of doubles?

This will be my second 70 mile week this cycle and let me tell you, I can feel it. It's really weird when a 50-55 mile week seems like it's just a run of the mill average week.

I'm running Chicago with all the other crazy people on here that will be there. Should be a good time! I'm shooting for sub-3:10 at a minimum and I think I have an outside shot at 3:05 if the weather is good and things progress as they have been so far.

I'm doing about one double a week now, but they weren't a regular thing early in the cycle. I've managed to up my running to only one day off every two weeks and seem to be holding up well. I think the doubles are going to become a weekly thing to keep the mileage relatively high.

Hah! Guilty as charged! Sorry about that Jim, but I did remember your goal for sub-3:10.
I'd think the weekly doubles would be necessary to maintain all that weekly mileage.
As far as 50-55 mile/week seeming routine and easy, man...it's all relative. I'll be thrilled with staying in the low to mid 40's for this cycle. With a maximum of 5 days a week of running, it's tough to get above that, and there's no way my leg would tolerate anything more. It would be nice though...
BTW-do you live right in St. Louis. I'm only asking because I have a friend that lives in St. Charles, which I believe is more a less a suburb of St. Louis. Is that correct?
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
BTW-do you live right in St. Louis. I'm only asking because I have a friend that lives in St. Charles, which I believe is more a less a suburb of St. Louis. Is that correct?

I work about a two minute walk from Busch Stadium right downtown, but I live in Illinois. It's about a 25 minute drive to work everyday, but not too bad. St. Charles is in fact a suburb to the west of the city. It's about 20 miles NW of downtown. I actually have 2 cousins that live out that way..
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

mul21 wrote:It's really weird when a 50-55 mile week seems like it's just a run of the mill average week.

Yeah, that would be weird Exclamation. Great job here recently! I've never put in those kind of miles, but I would think they would pay huge dividends. I'm rooting for a 3:05 and a 3:10 would be awesome as well...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:33 pm

mul21 wrote:

Doubles are in my training plans for next year...I think it really helps when you are able to run on tired legs. As for the bee, I take it that you are not allergic...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

Doubles are in my training plans for next year...I think it really helps when you are able to run on tired legs. As for the bee, I take it that you are not allergic...

Honestly, when the legs are constantly tired, the doubles seem like a break because they're so short and easy. I actually ended up bumping the planned 4 miles tonight to just over 6 so I don't have to get up quite so early tomorrow. Legs are fatigued, but two recovery runs today and I should feel as good as new tomorrow. I'm slightly concerned about how my legs will hold up next week as these two weeks have a planned 136 miles combined, along with back to back 20s, which I've never done before.

I am in fact not allergic to anything as far as I know, and since I haven't been stung by a bee in so long, I completely forgot about the after effects. My knee is definitely swollen like it's bruised, but it doesn't bother me while running.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am

Jim,

I have done back to back 20 weekends many times and I find they are have work wonders in my training. I am also doing 20 tomorrow as a back to back weekend of 20's. Despite some crazy weather possibilities for me I think it should be fine.

I always follow it by a step back week to give my legs a break. be 64 and 66 combines then maybe 57-59.

Your legs should feel fresh and ready to nail it! Looking forward for the report!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:06 pm

I bet you will do fine with the 136 miles for 2 weeks. In late February/early March I had a two week total of 133 miles and you are quite a bit younger than I am.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks Kenny and Jim! It's not the total mileage or the 20s that concern me, but the combination of everything that I've never done before. That's the most mileage I'll have done in a 2 week period and also the first back to back 20s. I should be fine, just something in the back of my mind

Well, after my 6 and 6.3 double on Thursday, I failed to roll out of bed in time to run Friday morning and then just ran out of day to get it in before bed last night. So, I knocked out 6 easy this morning and then after about a 4 hour break, knocked out another 4 to stay on track for the week. That gets me to 50 with just the 20 left to do tomorrow.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Wait wait wait, you name-dropped me and I wasn't informed?! Yeah, I have no idea who's decided I'm worthy of copying, but I'm glad you were able to discern that it wasn't really me. Shocking how many people added that profile even after I posted multiple status updates regarding how it wasn't me. Oh well.

Back to back 20s aren't that bad, really, as long as you do them slow enough. I promise.

And I agree with you regarding doubles. So nice to go out for just 4 miles in the afternoon with absolutely no goal other than to shake out the legs.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Wait wait wait, you name-dropped me and I wasn't informed?! Yeah, I have no idea who's decided I'm worthy of copying, but I'm glad you were able to discern that it wasn't really me. Shocking how many people added that profile even after I posted multiple status updates regarding how it wasn't me. Oh well.

Back to back 20s aren't that bad, really, as long as you do them slow enough. I promise.

And I agree with you regarding doubles. So nice to go out for just 4 miles in the afternoon with absolutely no goal other than to shake out the legs.

Yeah, between travel, the run the night before, and the weather being absolutely ridiculous yet again, I was having one of those "leave me the hell alone" afternoons you occasionally mention and the difficulty of the 12 miler that night didn't help much. Oh well, I'm over it and the rest of the week went well, so all's well that ends well I guess.

On the FB thing, I saw it on my phone first and thought, Hmm, I wonder why Mike is re-requesting me to be a friend and figured I'd wait to investigate once I got to my lap top. Kinda glad I did it that way now!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Wait wait wait, you name-dropped me and I wasn't informed?! Yeah, I have no idea who's decided I'm worthy of copying, but I'm glad you were able to discern that it wasn't really me. Shocking how many people added that profile even after I posted multiple status updates regarding how it wasn't me. Oh well.

I agree with an easy 4 is nice in the afternoon but I don't like doing much more than that especially in summer and certainly no speed work. I know others may do the 2nd run of the day harder than their first. Not this runner!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Wow, am I glad that's over. That was the most miserable run I've ever done I think. It was 75 degrees, 100% humidity, and 75 dewpoint when I started at 7:00 this morning. When I finished around 10:00, it was 85 degrees, 73% humidity, and 78 dewpoint. The heat index was 97! I actually cut off a half mile at the end because it runs through an absolute sauna at the end and I was going to be close enough to 20 for me for today. Finished with 19.8 miles for the day and that 6.3 miler I did on Thursday night came in handy to get me to 70.1 for the week.

I'm definitely going to need the 2 days of recovery I've got on the schedule before anything else even remotely difficult because I feel like I got hit by a truck right now.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 pm

mul21 wrote:Wow, am I glad that's over. That was the most miserable run I've ever done I think. It was 75 degrees, 100% humidity, and 75 dewpoint when I started at 7:00 this morning. When I finished around 10:00, it was 85 degrees, 73% humidity, and 78 dewpoint. The heat index was 97! I actually cut off a half mile at the end because it runs through an absolute sauna at the end and I was going to be close enough to 20 for me for today. Finished with 19.8 miles for the day and that 6.3 miler I did on Thursday night came in handy to get me to 70.1 for the week.

I'm definitely going to need the 2 days of recovery I've got on the schedule before anything else even remotely difficult because I feel like I got hit by a truck right now.

You sure you were not running by my side. I think we got hit by same truck. I might folliw you on two days recovery mon off tue easy 5 or 6.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Congratulations on getting in an absolute brutal 20 miler. More great training out of you this week. What's the next cycle going to look like?? A peak of 90 and an average of 70??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:18 pm

mul21 wrote:

Geez...well deserved recovery! That was a great, gutsy, determined workout Jim.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:27 am

Agree with Seth - that was a gutsy run! Gotta love St. Louis in the summer. You are looking really good for Chicago - what is is now, 8 weeks away or so?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 am

Nice week Jim! Glad you got the 20 in the books! It does take some doing and especially with the weather conditions. It is an interesting feeling breaking new ground in your training. The bad news is that when you repeat it, it won't feel the same way. But that's OK.

Speaking of bee stings, I had a wasp fly into my face on one of my runs this weekend at Okoboji. He didn't sting me but it made me wonder. I have had some pretty major swelling with wasp and bee stings a day or two after stings, but haven't been stung for probably 15 years. I also scared up a few bumblebees in some flowers during a run also. I guess I've used up my luck now on not being stung.

Hope yours heals up well and soon! And enjoy your rest/recovery days too!Cool
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

Kenny B. wrote:

You sure you were not running by my side. I think we got hit by same truck. I might folliw you on two days recovery mon off tue easy 5 or 6.

I wish! It would have been nice to have some moral support for the final 5 mile death march!

Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations on getting in an absolute brutal 20 miler. More great training out of you this week. What's the next cycle going to look like?? A peak of 90 and an average of 70??

I think I'm getting pretty close to what I can handle for peak mileage right now. And I don't think I have the time or energy to put in much more than 80 in a week maybe once or twice a cycle. 70 is already a lot.

Seth Harrison wrote:
Geez...well deserved recovery! That was a great, gutsy, determined workout Jim.

Thanks Seth! If that wasn't a character builder of a run, I don't think such a thing exists!

John Kilpatrick wrote:Agree with Seth - that was a gutsy run! Gotta love St. Louis in the summer. You are looking really good for Chicago - what is is now, 8 weeks away or so?

I don't know if you have to love it, but you certainly have to deal with it! 9 more weeks til the big day and about 6 more weeks of serious training before I start backing off.

jon c wrote:Nice week Jim! Glad you got the 20 in the books! It does take some doing and especially with the weather conditions. It is an interesting feeling breaking new ground in your training. The bad news is that when you repeat it, it won't feel the same way. But that's OK.

Speaking of bee stings, I had a wasp fly into my face on one of my runs this weekend at Okoboji. He didn't sting me but it made me wonder. I have had some pretty major swelling with wasp and bee stings a day or two after stings, but haven't been stung for probably 15 years. I also scared up a few bumblebees in some flowers during a run also. I guess I've used up my luck now on not being stung.

Hope yours heals up well and soon! And enjoy your rest/recovery days too!Cool

I'm okay with it not feeling the same way, because the first time you crack those barriers, it seems a lot more difficult than doing it again later. 50 miles was huge and then it was 60, but neither one of those seem like a big deal anymore, just another week of working to get the miles in. I'm sure I'll see a 75 mile week on the schedule soon that will make the 70 seem not as tough.

Bee sting is better and hasn't been an issue other than being a little itchy the last couple of days.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I think the bee community has it out for me! As I was walking out of the office today, I was lucky to have been wearing sunglasses because just as I stepped out the door, a wasp slammed into the right lens of my sunglasses. Scared the crap out of me and I would have had a wasp in the eye without the shades.

My legs weren't nearly as dead as I thought they were going to be today, which was a nice surprise. I think the ice bath really has some pretty huge benefits for me. I just did 6 easy miles tonight and ended up averaging 8:46 pace after a slow and creaky first half mile. Felt great after that and I'll knock out the first half of a double tomorrow morning.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next