365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the new BQ times

3 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the new BQ times Empty Thoughts on the new BQ times

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 am

So what's the thoughts here on the new BQ times.  I'm not surprised.  They really didn't have much choice given the times required to get in for 2019.  I haven't heard if they'll let everyone in who runs a BQ time or continue the current registration format and cut off the slower qualifying times if they fill.

A friend from Madras ran his first Boston in 2015...the year I was there.  He missed out on going back in 2019 by 15 seconds.  Although I'm sure he was disappointed, he seemed OK with it.  He had a hamstring injury and didn't have the best run during his qualifying marathon.  Hasn't committed to trying again yet.

I personally don't have a problem with limiting the number or runners and requiring them to earn their bib.  Mixed feelings on the charity bibs.  Part of me recognizes the huge opportunity to raise funds...part of me wishes it was limited to qualifying runners.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the new BQ times Empty Re: Thoughts on the new BQ times

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Not surprised at all.  And I kind of agree on the Charity Bibs - but not wholly as they are harder to get than you would believe - ask Nick - and they do raise a lot of needed monies.  Charity bibs at NY at Chicago are very easy to get - but at Boston, well, I think Nick applied to several before he got one, and I know my friends here in Atlanta applied each to 5 different organizations and last year each raised $5K.  My friend, David, raised over $12K in 2016.   So there is the ambivalence.

Now I must go back to the fact that for the first few years that I ran in the mid-1980s, I had to run 3:20 as an open women.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 pm

So if I'm not mistaken, they lowered the qualifying times by 5 minutes.  I think that the cut-off to get in has been less than 5 minutes so I wonder this year, if you run a BQ, will you pretty much be guaranteed to get in?
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Tim C wrote:So if I'm not mistaken, they lowered the qualifying times by 5 minutes.  I think that the cut-off to get in has been less than 5 minutes so I wonder this year, if you run a BQ, will you pretty much be guaranteed to get in?

I believe that is the goal of the BAA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down