365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The 3rd time's a charm!

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Jim, I'm sorry about your tough day. Hope you're doing o.k. and hope you check in later.

Thanks Seth. All is well, which is one of the reasons I dropped when I did. No real lasting effects at this point, but I am surprised at how sore my quads still are 3 days later after only going about 15.5 miles.

Julie wrote:sorry things didn't go well today. What is next on the schedule?

Thanks Julie. Not sure yet, probably some down time to regroup and recover.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim sorry things didn't go as planned. Hopefully the quad is ok and you can find another race and make another attemp.

Thanks Alex. Quads are still a bit sore, but I avoided any long term damage. Probably no marathons for me for a while.

Nick Morris wrote:Keep your head up Jim. I know that it is a pretty disappointing feeling, as I went through that last year. Especially after having such a great training cycle. But it is what you do next that will make you a better runner. Reflect on everything and move on knowing a little more. The next training cycle will be better for it and things will come together. I am sure of it!!

Thanks Nick. I'll be back to make the marathon my b!tch, we just need a little time apart right now.

Kenny B. wrote:Jim,

Regroup! What else is there to do? The roads ain't going anywhere.

Thanks Kenny!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:No worries, Jim - you saw me have to bail at St. Louis and I was a pacer. Sometimes it just isn't in the cards. Recover, regroup and next.....

You got it Michele. Sunday was just one of those days where I knew pretty early on it wasn't going to go the way I planned and rather than risk injury, I got out while the getting was good.

I really appreciate all the support and concern from everybody. I'll get a race report up soon detailing what I think the issues were and what my plans are. For now, some time off/greatly reduced mileage and maybe a 5/10K in a month or so.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 am

You'll be back. It sucks that something that requires so much time and effort to prepare for is laden with so many variables. I guess that's why it is what it is.
healdgator
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am

Hey man, we had a great time on Sunday. No, not from 7:30am until about 11:00am. That part sucked. But the rest of the day was a good time. Rest up and go find a 10K or 5K to go PR in sometime in November. Is there a Turkey Day run you can do and crush?
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 am

Chris M wrote:Hey man, we had a great time on Sunday. No, not from 7:30am until about 11:00am. That part sucked. But the rest of the day was a good time. Rest up and go find a 10K or 5K to go PR in sometime in November. Is there a Turkey Day run you can do and crush?

Not sure what you're talking about, I had a beer in hand by 10! The rest of the day was a blast, we'll have to find another one to get together at.

Not sure on the plans, but I'll figure something out. There's a 10 miler here on Thanksgiving weekend that's flat as a pancake that I had a great race in last year, so we'll see what's in the cards.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Jim - that totally sucks about Sunday - especially after you busted your tail to get there. For whatever it is worth, your training blog was definitely one of the things that kept me going this summer and I hate it that things didn't go perfectly for you. No one can ever question your heart in training for it. I look forward to reading about your experience there (hey, to even be there had to be pretty cool) and I hope you can regroup and nail the next one. A lot of talent in you - I've always appreciated your support - don't really know what else to say except you gave it a go and I look forward to rooting for you in the next one!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm

mul21 wrote:
Chris M wrote:Hey man, we had a great time on Sunday. No, not from 7:30am until about 11:00am. That part sucked. But the rest of the day was a good time. Rest up and go find a 10K or 5K to go PR in sometime in November. Is there a Turkey Day run you can do and crush?

Not sure what you're talking about, I had a beer in hand by 10! The rest of the day was a blast, we'll have to find another one to get together at.

Not sure on the plans, but I'll figure something out. There's a 10 miler here on Thanksgiving weekend that's flat as a pancake that I had a great race in last year, so we'll see what's in the cards.

Ha ha - good man.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 am

Running? What's that?

I went 4 miles on a mill on Saturday and have had absolutely no desire to even put on a pair of running shoes since last Sunday. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

I'll probably run a bit this week, but I'm pretty concerned that I have some kind of hernia on the lower left side of my ab area. I'll get that checked out in the next week or so and see what happens with that. Probably a quick repair job and I'll be back to running within a week or two after I would bet.

Still not sure of any racing I'll do, especially factoring in the hernia, but I have a feeling I'm probably done for the year with any racing and will probably just finish out the year running when I feel like it and not worrying about mileage or workouts at all.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 am

How is everything going with your ab/stomach issues? Hope all is well.....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 am

Hey Jim, I'm praying for rest & recovery, plus a new drive to hit the road come next year.
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

So, a little update since I've been MIA for a while.

This nagging ab thing (combined with a lack of motivation and being super busy at work) have pretty much made my running nearly non-existent since Chicago. I've now been to my primary doctor, a sports med doctor who work with the Rams and Cardinals, and this morning saw a PT whose son is a 3:36 or 3:37 1500 meter guy affraid and runs for Nike up in Eugene. The consensus is that I have a weakened iliopsoas and hip flexors that need to first be stretched out and then strengthened. Fortunately, I'm not in the midst of training for anything, so another couple weeks off shouldn't be a big deal.

So, running will be out for another week or two and then I should be able to slowly start working back into it before the new year and be able to do some sort of training plan for the spring season. Unfortunately, I'll have a lot of catching up to do after 2 months of nearly no running.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Well good to read that you have some answer to what has been bugging for some time now. I'm sure the 2 months off is not ideal and will be tough to comeback from but hey at least you will be doing it knowing you will be healthily and ready to train without pain.

Good luck with the PT!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Good news, Jim.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey Jim, I've been wondering where you've been.
I'm glad to see that you have a plan to get better, and that it seems to be a matter of stretching and strengthening as opposed to anything more drastic.
Keep us posted on how it's going.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Now that you have it diagnosed, it is time to fix it!!

Good luck in your recovery Jim.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Glad to see you back Jim. Hope everything heals well and you get back to it soon.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

View previous topic View next topic Back to top