365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elvis is Alive 5k

+9
Jack_Scaff
Bob
Stephanie
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
Chris M
Jerry
Dave-O
13 posters

Go down

Elvis is Alive 5k Empty Elvis is Alive 5k

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 am

A few months ago, a college friend of mine emailed to ask me to help the Illinois Wesleyan Alumni Committee set up an alumni event at a local race. Right up my alley. After a few weeks of discussion, we settled on the Elvis is Alive 5k, in part because it’s a Fleet Feet event and I was able to get us discounted entry fees and a tent in the post-race area. We were able to recruit about two dozen runners – and even more for the post-race beers at a nearby bar owned by fellow alumni – which I was pleased with for a first time attempt at such an event.

Besides spearheading this thing, I also wanted to run well. After my 16:40 at Race Judicata in the scorching heat, I really wanted to get back into the 15’s. Though not in 5k specific training, I thought my longer tempo runs indicated 15:50-something was possible.

I had three teammates in the race, the same I tempo’d with last week, and our plan was to go out in 5:10. I know from experience they never run the planned pace, but I was happy when we went through mile 1 in 5:08. I felt relatively comfortable, much better than at Judicata. We didn’t let off the gas at all in mile 2 despite an awkward turnaround under Lake Shore Drive. When we hit mile 2, the clock read 10:12, which would mean a split of 5:04. Now, my Garmin shows splits of 5:10 and 5:02, but I do remember it beeping at the exact mile 2 marker. So the 2 mile time of 10:12 was the same according to my Garmin and the race clocks.

This is where things got weird.

Everyone knows how much the last mile of a 5k hurts. And I was hurting. Brent, Matt and Todd had gapped me slightly but I was more concerned with the sub-16. The 10:12 split told me I was right there. Math is difficult during that last mile, but I know I looked down twice at my Garmin and it showed 5:12 pace. A slight fade, but that should have put me at 15:25 for 3 miles. My Garmin beeped at what should have been mile 3 (5:13), and when I didn’t see a three mile marker, I just assumed there wasn’t one. Then, about 20 seconds later, I see the marker and it reads 15:45. What the fuck? How did I lose that much time? I crossed in 16:12, totally spent, but more confused.

I didn’t think about it too much at first because we had decided ahead of time to run another 3 hard miles after the race. So after a quick water and a half mile jog, I did 3 more miles at a 5:35 pace. (Note: Not sure a 2 x 3 mile workout, when the first 3 miles is a 5k race, is a brilliant idea). Once we were cooled off though, we started talking about the race. I hate to be “that” guy citing his Garmin (which read 3.17) as proof of mismeasurement, but everyone was in agreement that mile 3 was long. Our team director then came up and confirmed that it’s an uncertified course and was a tad long. Seeing as how he’s the one that set it up about a half hour before the race, I’ll take his word.

So I’m not crazy. Even with my ears ringing, I knew something was wrong with that last mile. If I use 3.17 was the actual distance, my time converts to a 15:54. Those 18 seconds may not seem much to you, but to me, it’s the difference between an “acceptable” performance and a really strong one. I prefer the later.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Elvis is Alive 5k Empty Re: Elvis is Alive 5k

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 am

A better outcome as you were pushed longer, Dave. On to Chicago!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 am

You should not have hired the Penguin to do your race course set up!

Nice pace.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:20 am

Hey don't worry about being that guy Dave because you are that guy. Hey when it comes to racing and wanting to hit a certain goal and you know you are on that pace for over 2 miles of it and then out of no were you lose that much time, I would have been asking questions also.

Anyway nice solid performance from you again and what the fuck is up with running another 3 miles after that effort? GO DRINK SOME BEER!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am

Good race!

I know they aren't perfect, but accurate or not, my Garmin is at least consistent - it seems more or less accurate too. And 18 seconds is a pretty good chunk when you are talking about a 5K...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:27 am

Never expect that those small races will be the right distance as they never are. No worries, don't trouble yourself over it and go run a certfied one to feel better in a week or two Very Happy . Congrats on a great race anyway, and I'm glad that the beer was good.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Dave-O wrote:(Note: Not sure a 2 x 3 mile workout, when the first 3 miles is a 5k race, is a brilliant idea).
You acknowledging this is proof you aren't crazy. Razz

Congrats on a great race! As always, your pace amazes me!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I ran this race last year, and suspected it was a bit long on that day, too.

Keep at it, Dave-O. Nice running.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:45 am

Well done Dave
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Love reading your race reports...they're unearthly to me. Who runs that fast??? Guess you do! yahooo!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Dave,

These uncertified courses are killers to our psyche. Your reports are always fully good golden nuggets. Pat yourself on the back nice race.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Congrats on the really strong performance off of marathon training.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 am

Great race Dave. I'd like to run one mile that fast. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down