365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately?

+7
Jim fredericks
Chris M
fostever
Diego
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
11 posters

Go down

Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately? Empty Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately?

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 am

Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, in 1977:

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died?

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)?

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis?

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity?

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it?

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan!

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it?

9. Favorite homemade sandwich?

10. Favorite store bought sandwich?

Bonus question: How is your training going?
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately? Empty Re: Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately?

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 am

Doing this a bit tongue-in-cheek...

What a Face

Elvis is not dead; he just went back home.

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him.
Mom was obsessed with him when I was a kid. Used to love his music. Didn't understand the controversy of his hip gyrations.

Not anymore.

Doubtful.

I dressed up as a runner once.

Used to be Hound Dog. I would have to hear a few to know which my favorite is, at this point.

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it?
Fried?! Must. Eat.

PB&J. Filling must be 3/4" thick.

Never had one that really jumped out at me. Subway's meatball subs used to be a go-to.

Good. I'm done working construction for the summer so I should be able to pick up more miles and recover better.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately? Empty Re: Friday Thread, August 17 2012 - Have you seen Elvis lately?

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Probably at home, trying to perfect the art of floating a chocolate-chip cookie in a glass of milk.

Not so much.

Probably at a race somewhere. I laughed.

Not really. He was a good entertainer, but he was also seriously overhyped.

Probably not.

Not that I'd ever admit.

Hm. Probably "All shook up." It's the classic Elvis sound.

Ew.

Breakfast sandwich with egg, canadian bacon, cheese on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

I remember one very good roast turkey and roasted red bell peppers on focaccia bread. Dang. Where did I get it?

Considering that I threw out my shoes (mostly) and have been teaching myself how to run barefoot... not bad at all! Thankyuhverymuch. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 pm

I was in a conversion van with four of my buddies (part of a camping trip through the Rockies) driving from Bear Lake Idaho to Glacier National Park, so in the middle of nowhere, Montana and heard it on the am radio.

I was mildly interested, but that's about it.

N/A

Nope. I could never figure out what the big deal was.

I would consider that, but I'd need someone else to put the costume together - I suck at costumes. Also, it would have to be somewhat comfortable, which sounds like a big challenge.

Never.

Kentucky Rain. I love that song.

I have not, but it sounds good to me.

Simple - ham/swiss/rye with a little yellow mustard. I almost never have that, but it's my all time favorite.

Good Italian Beef sandwich - Al's will do - hot peppers.

Not bad. ITBS is still there, but not really slowing me down. I don't feel very fast, but don't know why I'd expect to - I haven't done anything to increase the likelihood that I would get fast!Very Happy
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, in 1977:

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? Living in Vegas, and I'd gone to see his show not too long after we moved there in 1976. Fat, fat, fat. What a mess at that late stage in his life!

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? No; he's gone; but his music lives forever

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. See above. I liked the TV movie about him, too

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? I did go to Graceland when we lived in TN; I'm a fan and love his movie with Ann Margret, who also danced in Vegas at the MGM when we moved there. I didn't get a chance to visit his MS home or Faulkner's or Oxford, MS for the home football game(one of SI's top 100 game experiences). Bummer!

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? Nope, overdone, especially if you've already seen the Flying Elvi.

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? Nope

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! In the ghetto

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? At a TN fair, it was good right up there with fried oreos and moonpies

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? Grilled brat with spicy mustard on a hoagie style bun with a nice Belgium ale.

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Hmm, Jimmy John's turkey with sprouts or Port of Subs Roast Beef and Swiss.

I need to start, and I need to start a new blog. I did run Joanie's B2B 10k for fun and to experience running with 6600 other 10k runners. Next year will be the real deal--see if I can break the top 250. 3rd in my age group finished in 35 minutes--Yikes!! It's too intimidating to train hard around the Northeast.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died?No

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)?Absolutely NOT, (he looked like a "warthog in heat," Zappa reference.)

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him.Thought he was more country than Rock and Roll, didn't really dig it! Actually appreciate his contribution more now that I'm more seasoned as a musician.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis?No

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity?Never

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it?no

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! blue suede shoes

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? Not like he made 'em.

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? Cheese burger

10. Favorite store bought sandwich?Torta

Bonus question: How is your training going?great
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 pm

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? I don't remember it.

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? No, definitely not traumatized.

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. My association with him is all through my Dad, who was/is a big fan. So my earliest memories are of Clem belting out some tunes by the King.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? Definitely. I sometimes tune in to the XM Elvis channel.

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? sure!

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? I ran as Superman in a Haloween race. I think I posted a pic of that here when I did?

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! Tie - Suspcious Minds and Can't Help Falling in Love.

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? Peanut Butter and Banana yes but not the fried part.

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? My homemade pressed pannis....yum

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Anything from Big G's in Winslow, Maine!

Bonus question: How is your training going? Good. Base building only right now. No real tough workouts or test races.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:02 pm

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? No Idea.

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? No. I liked the guy but if he was going to fake his death do you think he would do it sitting on the crapper?

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. I have had more Elvis sightings than I can count and all of them have been in Las Vegas.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? I liked his music and think he was a good guy. A big fan? Not really.
5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? Not me.

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? Never have, never will.

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan!"Don't be Cruel"
8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? Never, although I have had Fudgesicles.

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? PB & J.

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Double Cheeseburger from Culver's.

Training is going very good, thanks for asking.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:31 pm

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? Yes, Portland, ME school shopping with my mother, grandmother and sister.

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? Nope, didn't really know who he was, and we share a birthday! However, I truly believe that he sicks on Friday nights at a diner in Buford, GA by the lake

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. Well, since we do share a birthdate, I went to Graceland one of the first times I was in Memphis. I was gravely disappointed and agree with the lady behind me in the tour who said Elvis had "TT" (tupelo taste!). Never saw him and I even looked in the Jungle room (love that Mark Cohn song).

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? Sure since we share that birthday and all.

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? Yes.

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? Yes, as a lady bug and a fairy in a pink tutu.

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! All Shook Up

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? No and doubt it.

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? Salami and cheese on italian bread or tomato with mayo

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Turkey or tuna salad

Bonus question: How is your training going? Now that is a joke right?? Achilles is on the mend.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:06 pm

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? I do. Heard the news while making top ramen in my college apartment. My roommate and I were a bit shocked.

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? No, he had deteriorated over the years and was a bit worn out by that time.

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. I saw him in a movie.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? Not so much

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? No, don't look good in white and rhinestones.

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? No, but I've worn items on my head before like decorative du rags(sp?) feathered antennae, that sort of thing.

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! Operation GI Blues. The only reason I like that one is a boyfriend (back in college) used to sing and play the guitar. That was a good one.

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? Never and never will.

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? Vegan mock tuna salad (made with chickpeas)

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Don't really have one. 30 years ago when I ate meat, I used to love regular tuna fish sandwiches as well as sub sandwiches from an italian restaurant. I can still taste the italian dressing and pepperocinis. Yum.

Bonus question: How is your training going? So far so good for Chicago Marathon. Really looking forward to the cool weather we'll be having.sunny
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am

1. Do you recall where you were when you learned that Elvis had died? Do you really want me to answer this one Smile

2. Were you traumatized by his death (or do you think he is still alive)? See #1

3. If you were not yet born, or were too young to be aware, describe your first Elvis sighting, and your first reaction to him. I don't recall my first sighting, but I have always associated him with being the originator of Rock N' Roll.

4. Would you describe yourself as a fan of Elvis? Sure

5. Would you run a race dressed as Elvis for charity? No

6. Have you ever raced in a costume - if so please describe it? No, unless you consider a running singlet and running shorts a costume

7. Favorite Elvis song - c'mon, you must have one, even if you are not a fan! Jailhouse Rock

8. Have you ever tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and did you like it? Never tried it

9. Favorite homemade sandwich? Too many to have a favorite

10. Favorite store bought sandwich? Something with chicken

Bonus question: How is your training going? Pretty well!!! Thanks!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 am

Yes, Brooklyn NY remember some neighbors crying. I was 5

No I was not. I do think his soul has moved like all others.

I watched movies of him when younger and could not believe what he looked like years later at the concert in Hawaii.

No. I like one song.

No. But I'd run as Elvira!

No. Unless you consider a shirtless runner.

Suspicious minds.

No. Did you see what he looked like before he died.

Fakin' Bacon, Avocado, Veganaise, Lettuce, Tomato, Onions.

"Unchicken sandwhich in a whole wheat pita" If you can find them.

Forward.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down