365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No Pressure"

+13
Chris M
Jim Lentz
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
JohnP
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
nkrichards
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
17 posters

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

"No Pressure" - Page 8 Empty Re: "No Pressure"

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:52 am

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Halfway there! Amazing how the time flies, isn't it? Good luck on the long runs this weekend. How do you plan to run them?

I normally try one foot in front of the other...  lol! 

But in all seriousness, the 10 on Saturday will be at a GA pace.  While the 20 on Sunday will be an LSD run.  With this 20, I am going to try to get my average pace down a little closer to a minute over MP.

Do you ever do any 3:1 long runs? I found them to be very helpful, and a lot of fun.

Actually, as I get latter into the training cycle, i will add in a 3:1.  Right now, I am still trying to feel out the 20 mile distance at a decent pace.

3:1?  Is this some new fangled thing where you take 3 steps with the left foot and 1 step with the right?  And y'all think some of my hairbrain schemes are way out in left field.  geek  scratch

You've never heard of a 3:1 run before? Basically, you run the first 3/4 of the long run at LSD and then pick it up for a fast finish the last 1/4. Hence 3:1...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 am

08.02.14 - 10 miles

10 miles this morning...I wanted to keep this run pace somewhere between a GA run and a LSD run. That's exactly what I did. I went out slow at an 8:00 even pace for the first mile and gradually picked up the pace for the other 9 miles. I didn't want to over exert myself with 20 miles tomorrow, but also wanted to have a meaningful workout. I ended up completing 10.24 miles at a 7:50 pace. I'll take it!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00 pm

I did a look back at last years training cycle to see where my training paces were in comparison to this year. I found that I am not that far off from last year. Yay!! I feel like I am behind last year, but the numbers show that I am only seconds slower than last years paces at this point. Plus, if things hold true to last years paces, then I am in for some nice pace increases in the next 6 weeks or so Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Good work! Nice to see that the aging process hasn't caught up with you yet. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Mark B wrote:Good work! Nice to see that the aging process hasn't caught up with you yet. Smile

I'm hoping that I have quite a few more years before I plateau.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 am

08.03.14 - 20 miles

Whew, was it a warm one today. I started out at 6 am to beat the heat, but only made it 5 miles before the sun started to make it warm. My goal was to start out at an 8:15 and see how the second half would go. First half average pace was 8:12. The second half was a sweaty mess, but I managed to maintain roughly the same pace as the first half. Just it was a lot tougher, as it was already into the mid 70s. I ended up completing 20.14 sweaty miles at an 8:13 pace. One of my tougher runs of the training cycle, but that's what you get when you turn up the wick...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Nick Morris wrote:08.03.14 - 20 miles

Whew, was it a warm one today.  I started out at 6 am to beat the heat, but only made it 5 miles before the sun started to make it warm.  My goal was to start out at an 8:15 and see how the second half would go.  First half average pace was 8:12.  The second half was a sweaty mess, but I managed to maintain roughly the same pace as the first half.  Just it was a lot tougher, as it was already into the mid 70s.  I ended up completing 20.14 sweaty miles at an 8:13 pace.  One of my tougher runs of the training cycle, but that's what you get when you turn up the wick...
Nice with that heat!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Whew, was it a warm one today.  I started out at 6 am to beat the heat, but only made it 5 miles before the sun started to make it warm.  My goal was to start out at an 8:15 and see how the second half would go.  First half average pace was 8:12.  The second half was a sweaty mess, but I managed to maintain roughly the same pace as the first half.  Just it was a lot tougher, as it was already into the mid 70s.  I ended up completing 20.14 sweaty miles at an 8:13 pace.  One of my tougher runs of the training cycle, but that's what you get when you turn up the wick...

Ooh, yeah, I forget the sun appears earlier and stays later up there, than down here.  Best dry the wick.  Continued injury-free running, sir.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm

ounce wrote:

Ooh, yeah, I forget the sun appears earlier and stays later up there, than down here.  Best dry the wick.  Continued injury-free running, sir.

Thank you for your well wishes!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:

Nice with that heat!

It was not much fun...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:45 pm

If this weather keeps up, you may want to start setting the alarm even earlier for some of these long, long runs. Even so, good job getting it done.

I agree with Ounce, though: time for a good solid rest day to secure your gains and prevent any additional unnecessary stress on the system. Relax! You earned it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Mark B wrote:If this weather keeps up, you may want to start setting the alarm even earlier for some of these long, long runs. Even so, good job getting it done.

I agree with Ounce, though: time for a good solid rest day to secure your gains and prevent any additional unnecessary stress on the system. Relax! You earned it.

Especially if the Brewers are in town!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 am

08.04.14 - Cross Training

More weight training and core work at the gym after work and prior to my supposed softball game. Say supposed, because the heavens opened up and poured all night. Which means that we were yet again cancelled due to rain. this makes the 5th game of the season that was postponed due to rain. Eventually this season will be over with!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

Mark B wrote:If this weather keeps up, you may want to start setting the alarm even earlier for some of these long, long runs. Even so, good job getting it done.

I was able to relax a little last night after hitting up the gym. But it's back at it today!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 pm

08.05.14 - 7 miles

I was scheduled for 7 miles tonight, but due to a hectic week, I have to switch things up...and...pretty much improvise. My 3Q sales meeting starts tomorrow and runs through Friday...Plus, I also have a couple baseball games (tomorrow and Sunday) to go to in Milwaukee. That being said, I decided to up my ru. From 7 miles to 9 tonight. It was a fairly warm and pretty humid night. One of those, that can work up a good lather...and it did. I went out at a nice easy pace and seemed to be able to gradually increase the pace by a few seconds each mile. I ended up completing 9.38 miles at a 7:46 pace. I may try to get in a few miles tomorrow morning before work...otherwise I'll try to get in another 9 or so on Thursday...The one thing about training is that you gotta be flexible sometimes.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:23 am

08.06.14 - 3 miles

All I had time for this morning was a quick 3 mile run before heading to work...I knocked out 3.22 miles at a 7:39 pace. Not bad coming off of a 9 mile run the night prior. After work I am off to Milwaukee for yet another baseball game...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:29 am

Aw, another baseball game? You suffer so much for the team. Wink

How are they doing this season?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Mark B wrote:Aw, another baseball game? You suffer so much for the team. Wink

How are they doing this season?

Been in 1st place since April...and hoping not to fade late!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Flexibility is important and good work on the runs.

The Rangers have a stranglehold on last place, but the Astros are doing what they can to get back in the cellar.  The Phillies are working on a sweep of the Astros.  Maybe the Rangers want last more than the Astros
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:00 pm

ounce wrote:Flexibility is important and good work on the runs.

The Rangers have a stranglehold on last place, but the Astros are doing what they can to get back in the cellar.  The Phillies are working on a sweep of the Astros.  Maybe the Rangers want last more than the Astros

There must be something in the water in Texas, huh?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am

08.07.14 - 7 miles

Thursday was pretty much a waste. I had 7 miles on the schedule, but my sales meeting took up my entire day, leaving me with no chance to run. Sad
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

08.08.14 - Scheduled Off Day

Today was supposed to be a scheduled off day, but due to circumstances out of my control, I was forced to switch things up. That being said, I was up early this morning to get in a run before work. I was able to get in 6.34 miles in the allotted time that I had. My average pace was a brisk 7:43 per. Next week doesn't get much better, as I am heading to Cincinnati, for work, Wednesday through Friday. I will have to make some adjustments again, but should be able to get what I need to in at some point.

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm

It surprising if you get creative enough you can find a place to run almost anywhere.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:It surprising if you get creative enough you can find a place to run almost anywhere.

Yeah, I always pack my running gear first for any trip. There is normally always a way to fit a run in somewhere. A lot of times I end up exploring new areas.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 pm

08.09.14 - 20 miles

The schedule juggling continued into the weekend and made me switch my Saturday and Sunday runs. So, I headed out for my 20 miles at dawn this morning. What a difference 5 degrees makes. Instead of being 65, like last weekend, it was 60 degrees. It stayed in the 60s for about 3/4s of the run, with the last 5 miles or so reaching into the 70s. I started out with a couple miles at an 8:10 pace and then started to pick it up with each mile. I made to the halfway point at an 8:04 average pace and 133 average HR. I continued on my way back home, still picking up the pace with each passing mile. That is until it started to get warm, which was around mile 17. I pressed on, though, and only had one mile of the remaining three come in above 8:00. That was an 8:06 for mile 19, but I was able to get it back and then some with the 7:50 last mile. I ended up completing 20.11 miles with an average pace of 7:59. My HR jumped to an average of 137, but still on the low side for me. This was a great confidence builder for me and average under 8 for 20 miles. All of this while still being about 5lbs heavier than this point in my training a year ago. I need to work on catching up to last year's weight and will continue to monitor my calorie intake. I am confident that I can get to where I need to be by making smart meal decisions.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next