365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No Pressure"

+13
Chris M
Jim Lentz
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
JohnP
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
nkrichards
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
17 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

"No Pressure" - Page 13 Empty Re: "No Pressure"

Post  ounce Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Sorry, Nick.  Maybe a garage sale plus a Bake Sale can help to generate $5K.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:In case you are wondering, my qualifying time was 37 seconds short of acceptance.

Charity time now, I guess...

Make sure you let us know how to donate!  You deserve to go.

Katie loves to tell the story of our meeting at the marathon in Canada last November.  For those of you who haven't heard, Nick came running with outstretched arms to give me a congratulatory hug.  Katie was quite shocked to see her Mom accepting a hug from a strange young man from Wisconsin. She insists that I need a chaperone in Boston. We don't want to disappoint her. Very Happy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 pm

wow. Well, sounds like a plan. What charity are you running for?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Drat. Sorry, Nick.

Let us know the charity so we can help. And before Ounce suggests, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can manage to provide a special load of Washington brownies for your baked, er, bake sale.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Sorry about that Nick.  I have a friend here who missed by 45 sec - so I feel for you both.  Anyway, let us know what charity you will be running for, and I'll be ready to donate.  And see you in Boston!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:
mul21 wrote:
ounce wrote:How do you reconcile the supposed disconnect between 3:05-3:10 goal and 3:20-3:30 projected finishing time?  Or to put it more succinctly, "What happened?"

I'm just curious and maybe there's something I can learn or file away in my non-defragged mind.

Don't get a girlfriend, they interfere with training!  Twisted Evil
And even posting.

Hey now...I have been extremely busy the last few weeks.  Give me some time to play catch up Smile

It was directed towards Jim.  StirPot
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 pm

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:
mul21 wrote:
ounce wrote:How do you reconcile the supposed disconnect between 3:05-3:10 goal and 3:20-3:30 projected finishing time?  Or to put it more succinctly, "What happened?"

I'm just curious and maybe there's something I can learn or file away in my non-defragged mind.

Don't get a girlfriend, they interfere with training!  Twisted Evil
And even posting.

Hey now...I have been extremely busy the last few weeks.  Give me some time to play catch up Smile

It was directed towards Jim.  StirPot

Ok...then I forgive you...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 pm

I applied for two different charities today. Hopefully one of them will accept my application. Considering that there are 6,000 charity spots, I am hoping that I can secure one of them. I'll keep y'all posted.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:26 pm

As far as running. I started up my two week taper last night with a 4 mile run and followed it up with 6 more miles tonight. I was told by a very smart runner that goes by the name of "The Bull", that just because you are cutting back on miles during taper, doesn't mean that the intensity should drop. That being said, I ran the 4.35 miles at a 7:38 pace and the 6.26 miles at a 7:42 pace.

I'll finish up my training next week in the Mile High City, as I will be traveling for work, yet again...The last three years I have had to travel for work he week leading up to my marathon. It never seems to fail. But hey, at least the last few miles of my training will come at high elevation Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:09 am

Nick Morris wrote:As far as running. I started up my two week taper last night with a 4 mile run and followed it up with 6 more miles tonight.  I was told by a very smart runner that goes by the name of "The Bull", that just because you are cutting back on miles during taper, doesn't mean that the intensity should drop.  That being said, I ran the 4.35 miles at a 7:38 pace and the 6.26 miles at a 7:42 pace.

I'll finish up my training next week in the Mile High City, as I will be traveling for work, yet again...The last three years I have had to travel for work he week leading up to my marathon.  It never seems to fail.  But hey, at least the last few miles of my training will come at high elevation Smile

That "Bull" you speak of knows his stuff. Smile

You know, you might be at altitude long enough to get at least a little benefit of out of it
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:27 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:As far as running. I started up my two week taper last night with a 4 mile run and followed it up with 6 more miles tonight.  I was told by a very smart runner that goes by the name of "The Bull", that just because you are cutting back on miles during taper, doesn't mean that the intensity should drop.  That being said, I ran the 4.35 miles at a 7:38 pace and the 6.26 miles at a 7:42 pace.

I'll finish up my training next week in the Mile High City, as I will be traveling for work, yet again...The last three years I have had to travel for work he week leading up to my marathon.  It never seems to fail.  But hey, at least the last few miles of my training will come at high elevation Smile

You know, you might be at altitude long enough to get at least a little benefit of out of it

Is Monday through Thursday enough time?  Plus, doesn't it take a week for the benefits of a run to truly take affect?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I applied for two different charities today.  Hopefully one of them will accept my application.  Considering that there are 6,000 charity spots, I am hoping that I can secure one of them.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Is there any data on how many people try to get in via charity and/or when the 6,000 are used up?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I applied for two different charities today.  Hopefully one of them will accept my application.  Considering that there are 6,000 charity spots, I am hoping that I can secure one of them.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Is there any data on how many people try to get in via charity and/or when the 6,000 are used up?

Most of the charity sites state that it will be at least 3-4 weeks before a decision will be made.  I am not sure how many applicants they receive.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Is Monday through Thursday enough time?  Plus, doesn't it take a week for the benefits of a run to truly take affect?

No idea how much it'd help, but it sure can't hurt.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

No idea how much it'd help, but it sure can't hurt.

Truth
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 pm

My weekend consisted of 4.31 taper miles on Saturday and 8.29 taper miles this morning. My last "long run" of the training cycle. Heading to Denver tomorrow afternoon for most of the week.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:55 pm

I just entered two more charity applications. I have four in...hopefully one will want me to raise money for them.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Enjoy Denver...and tapering.

Best of luck on the charity applications.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm

(No evidence of Taper MADNESS, yet)

So does it cost to submit an application?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am

ounce wrote:(No evidence of Taper MADNESS, yet)

So does it cost to submit an application?

Some charities charge a fee at the time of application and others charge after you have been accepted.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

I am certain with 4 applications that 1 or more will accept you.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:33 pm

I don't understand why a charity wouldn't want someone to raise funds for them. Am I missing something?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Julie wrote:I don't understand why a charity wouldn't want someone to raise funds for them. Am I missing something?

I think that it comes down to only having so many spots and they want to get the most lucrative donors in to get the most fund raising.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:I am certain with 4 applications that 1 or more will accept you.

Hoping so Approval
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Got in an easy 3.11 taper miles at 5,280 feet this morning. It was still dark this morning when I got in my short run in Denver. It is cold here in the mornings and evenings during the fall. Today's high was 75, but it was 43 this morning at 6 am. Brrr...Took me a good 3/4 of a mile to get warmed up.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next