365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 12 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:26 am

ounce wrote:I was hoping 'pit stop' wasn't just used in Texas.

For me, when I started doing leg lifts consistently in the summer (flat on the back, lift leg or legs up to 90 degree, then down, rinse, repeat), I didn't have to have a pit stop as often.  I could go 8 or 9 miles, instead of less than 3.

The mysteries of the body.

Ah, that sounds suspiciously like kegels. Those can be very helpful, also for core development.

In my case, it's more a matter of a convenient porta-potty than a less-than-cast-iron bladder.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I was hoping 'pit stop' wasn't just used in Texas.

For me, when I started doing leg lifts consistently in the summer (flat on the back, lift leg or legs up to 90 degree, then down, rinse, repeat), I didn't have to have a pit stop as often.  I could go 8 or 9 miles, instead of less than 3.

The mysteries of the body.

Ah, that sounds suspiciously like kegels. Those can be very helpful, also for core development.

In my case, it's more a matter of a convenient porta-potty than a less-than-cast-iron bladder.

My convenience is that it's 4 a.m. and lots of trees.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 pm

[quote="Mark B"][quote="ounce"]
Mark B wrote:Long Run: 12.26 miles

Weather: Snow, sleet, rain, wind, sun. 35 degrees. Gear: Altras, tights,  T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Yogurt and cereal for breakfast. GU Brew (electrolytes only) on run, though I took a GU at about 9.66 miles to head off an imminent bonk.

What Comes Next  - Page 12 15572510

I will trade you Mark...At 35 degrees, I would be debating on running without my jacket!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Good run, though!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Weather: Snow, sleet, rain, wind, sun. 35 degrees. Gear: Altras, tights,  T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Yogurt and cereal for breakfast. GU Brew (electrolytes only) on run, though I took a GU at about 9.66 miles to head off an imminent bonk.

I will trade you Mark...At 35 degrees, I would be debating on running without my jacket!!

35 degrees merits 3 layers for me.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

35 degrees merits 3 layers for me.

I guess the one thing about living in winter hell is that it has made me tougher...Huh, look at that. A silver lining.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:04 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I will trade you Mark...At 35 degrees, I would be debating on running without my jacket!!

Good run, though!!!

Well, you would have regretted it once the snow turned to rain and the wind picked up. I'd have been hypothermic if I hand't dressed properly. You guys in the frozen north forget that it can be risky even when body parts aren't freezing off.  What a Face 

ounce wrote:35 degrees merits 3 layers for me.

And a sled dog.

Nick Morris wrote:I guess the one thing about living in winter hell is that it has made me tougher...Huh, look at that.  A silver lining.

Yay! Strong like bull!

Oh wait, that's Schuey.

Strong like... musk ox?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Walk: 4 miles

Weather: Chilly, windy, snow flurries. 37 degrees, guts to 18 mph.

It started spitting snow during lunch at work, so I just *had* to go out and play.  Very Happy 

I was planning to do a shorter walk, but my legs were enjoying it and felt like they wanted to keep going, so I did, even though it got difficult to feel my face after a while. I had the wind at my back on the return trip, and I warmed up a little.

It was a nice walk, and it's VERY encouraging to have it go so well after my first back-to-back.  Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I will trade you Mark...At 35 degrees, I would be debating on running without my jacket!!

Good run, though!!!

Well, you would have regretted it once the snow turned to rain and the wind picked up. I'd have been hypothermic if I hand't dressed properly. You guys in the frozen north forget that it can be risky even when body parts aren't freezing off.  What a Face 

And a sled dog.

Nick Morris wrote:I guess the one thing about living in winter hell is that it has made me tougher...Huh, look at that.  A silver lining.

Yay! Strong like bull!

Oh wait, that's Schuey.

Strong like... musk ox?

He's in Wisconsin Mark. I'm kind of disappointed you didn't come up with a big blue ox on your own!

One of my chilliest running experiences was a reasonably warm (~32 degrees) December day when it was snowing and the flakes got larger and more frequent as the run went on, leaving me a wet mess at the end of 10 miles and freezing my butt off because my sweating helped the moisture penetrate the layers. I've had much more pleasant 20 degree runs than that one.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm

mul21 wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Good run, though!!!

And a sled dog.

Yay! Strong like bull!

Oh wait, that's Schuey.

Strong like... musk ox?

He's in Wisconsin Mark.  I'm kind of disappointed you didn't come up with a big blue ox on your own!

One of my chilliest running experiences was a reasonably warm (~32 degrees) December day when it was snowing and the flakes got larger and more frequent as the run went on, leaving me a wet mess at the end of 10 miles and freezing my butt off because my sweating helped the moisture penetrate the layers.  I've had much more pleasant 20 degree runs than that one.

Oh, right! I forgot that folks up there lay claim to Mr. Bunyan, too.

What Comes Next  - Page 12 Paul_b10
(Yup. Portland. Where do you think the hipsters get all their flannel? Not sure where Babe got off to. Maybe he moseyed off to the Dancin' Bear strip club across the street.)

And I'd much rather run in the 20s when it's dry than the low 30s, when it's not. I once got caught out early one morning, 38, windy and rainy outside on a 90-minute run. Ended up hypothermic (when I took my temp once I got home it was about 90-92). It was a weird and very unpleasant thing.

Now I make sure to wear a SportHill top that insulates even when wet as a mid-layer when the weather looks wet, cold and windy, and it's worked well so far. That jacket I wear is basically a windbreaker.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Walk: 3.1 miles

Weather: Cold and windy. 28 degrees, ~15 degrees with wind chill.

Cold and beautiful today and windy. So I had to head over the Columbia River to Portland and back. There were whitecaps on the river, which was pretty impressive, and gusts of about 30 mph.

What Comes Next  - Page 12 18906210

My work plants felt pretty thin out there in the wind, but at least I remembered to wear gloves! My GoreTex jacket helped, too, though my eyeballs did get pretty cold there for a while.  Shocked 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Lobo Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Wow. Scenic!

Lobo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Lobo wrote:Wow. Scenic!

Hey, Dave!

Yes, it's a nice view from the bridge. You can see three volcanoes (Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson) from the bridge deck, though it's really only safe to gawk when you're walking. It is not a bridge for rubbernecking. The mountain in the photo is Mount Hood. You can also see the control tower at PDX on the right side of the river.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

Mark B wrote:
My work plants felt pretty thin out there in the wind, but at least I remembered to wear gloves! My GoreTex jacket helped, too, though my eyeballs did get pretty cold there for a while.  Shocked 

Jeez, you people in the Northwest are greener than I ever expected.  Work plants?  Is that kind of like Take Your Plants to Work Day thing?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Jeez, you people in the Northwest are greener than I ever expected.  Work plants?  Is that kind of like Take Your Plants to Work Day thing?

Why, of course! What did you take to work in Texas yesterday -- oil derricks? Wink

(Oops! I'd fix the typo in the original post, but I think I might just like it better the way it is.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Why, of course! What did you take to work in Texas yesterday -- oil derricks? Wink

(Oops! I'd fix the typo in the original post, but I think I might just like it better the way it is.)

No, silly.  A Longhorn steer (that's a cow, not a football player).  Today, it's an armadillo.   Suspect
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

No, silly.  A Longhorn steer (that's a cow, not a football player).  Today, it's an armadillo.   Suspect

Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Low HR Run: 4.5 snowy miles

Weather: Overcast, cold, snowy, windy. 19 degrees, wind chill down to 5 degrees at times. Gear: Altras, tights/wind pants, Capilene T, long-sleeved T, pullover, GoreTex shell, hat, buff, gloves. Fuel: After breakfast. Carried GU Roctane sport drink in handheld.

A snow storm blew in this morning, with all sorts of chaos on the roads, so I begged off from testing at Nike (a few minutes before they canceled it themselves) and headed out for a windy, snowy run near my house. I did my least favorite loop, mostly because it put the into-the-wind leg in the middle rather than the end.

Snow was starting to accumulate. We may get up to 7 inches before it's done. That's a lot for around here.

What Comes Next  - Page 12 16556010
(Silly frog. Its tongue is going to get stuck to that 17° temperature!)

The footing was fine, and my pace was pretty consistent, if slow. My HR was up, but with wind and so many layers on, that can't come as a surprise. I did notice that, as the cold penetrated my legs, my perceived effort level rose. Glad I don't have to do this all winter!

Still, it was fairly fun.

What Comes Next  - Page 12 15197810

Alas, now I need to go into work for what promises to be a truly chaotic swing shift. This hit before the evening commute in a part of the country notorious for a 120-point drop in driving IQ when white stuff falls from the sky and lands on the pavement.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 135
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Lobo Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 pm

One thing I think Hal had right was to run by effort and leave the forget the other metrics when running outside in wintery conditions.  Wind, snow, tough conditions . . . but fun.

Lobo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Lobo wrote:One thing I think Hal had right was to run by effort and leave the forget the other metrics when running outside in wintery conditions.  Wind, snow, tough conditions . . . but fun.

I was thinking that when I was out there. I'd also read some research that muscle contractions slow down when it gets cold enough, so it takes a greater effort to even run slowly. So I wasn't overly concerned that my HR was about 5 bpm higher than my preference. (And besides, it was fun.)

It hasn't stopped snowing since I went on my run. We've had all sorts of massive traffic problems, and winds in some area creating blizzard conditions. So it's a crazy day here at the newspaper.

At home, there's 6+ inches of snow on the ground already...

What Comes Next  - Page 12 16558411

What Comes Next  - Page 12 15553210

... and the Weather Service folks say we may get another 5 inches overnight. Wow.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

Mark B wrote:
Lobo wrote:One thing I think Hal had right was to run by effort and leave the forget the other metrics when running outside in wintery conditions.  Wind, snow, tough conditions . . . but fun.

I was thinking that when I was out there. I'd also read some research that muscle contractions slow down when it gets cold enough, so it takes a greater effort to even run slowly. So I wasn't overly concerned that my HR was about 5 bpm higher than my preference. (And besides, it was fun.)

It hasn't stopped snowing since I went on my run. We've had all sorts of massive traffic problems, and winds in some area creating blizzard conditions. So it's a crazy day here at the newspaper.

... and the Weather Service folks say we may get another 5 inches overnight. Wow.

Snowmageddon?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Snowmageddon?

Pretty much, yes.   Shocked  

Last night in the grocery store, I overheard a clerk saying, "All I've been selling today is beer, liquor and sleds." Yipes.

It stopped snowing sometime last night. There's 7.5 inches at my house right now. As I waded out to my measuring spot (barefoot, of course), I couldn't help but notice how deep it was - and how difficult it was to walk in. I'd sink and slip with each step. Hardpack is much easier to manage.

There's another system heading our way later today, and forecasters say there could be 3-5 more inches on its way.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm

So, this happened...

What Comes Next  - Page 12 16183010

... for a very few seconds, at least.

Now, I've seen videos of "famous" barefoot runners frolicking through shin-deep snow, so I figured I might as well see what it feels like to be shin-deep while barefoot. But before I tried to run, I wanted to see how it felt just walking a few steps.

Didn't take long to convince me that I *might* not be ready for something quite that... er... uh... adventurous? (Pick your own word.)

I couldn't find a stable platform in the snow, and after 30 seconds just standing there, I had a pins-and-needles sensation from my ankles down, and accumulated snow sticking to my toes.

Here's what it looked like after my experiment. (Oh yeah, it was 25 degrees out.)

What Comes Next  - Page 12 17823910

Alas, I'm not that hardcore.

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Lightweight.   Wink   I was going to say another derogatory word, but it's the family hour.

Is that system part of the Pineapple Express that's hitting SF, today and this weekend?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:05 pm

ounce wrote:Lightweight.   Wink   I was going to say another derogatory word, but it's the family hour.

Is that system part of the Pineapple Express that's hitting SF, today and this weekend?

Yay, family hour!

I think the moisture is possibly related, but we've got an arctic intrusion that's also freezing brass monkeys to the east of us. As this cold air moves out, we may end up with freezing rain.  Suspect 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum