365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 7 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

ounce wrote:You'll love the humidity and 60-70 degree temps in Orlando.  It's warmer there in January than in Houston.

Not me.

That sounds quite delightful coming in early January. Of couse, I remember Chris M ending up hypothermic after a particularly chilly Mousekathon a few years back, so it's anybody's guess.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Damn you Mark - I've got to commit to one of them don't I. What would your time goal be??????

You don't have to commit, of course, but do you really want me picking one for you? Wink

Goal time? What's that? My fastest marathon was 3:46. My last road marathon was 4:23. So if I actually tried to make it more than an ultra training run, maybe someplace in the middle? I really haven't the foggiest idea what I'm capable of at this point, since I haven't done anything uptempo in ages.

---

Edit to add: I looked at the Mousekathon website's runner informaiton section (see it here), and it seems that the "Proof of Time" for the marathon requires only the finish time for a race of 10 miles or longer for a corral time. So a marathon isn't actually necessary. That makes it a little simpler.

Though running with Michele would still be a highlight of the year. (No pressure!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 am

Maybe we can pick one of those and target a 4:15 time. A time submission does help for corral placement and Disney is as crowded as they come.  The year I ran (2008), the half was warm (higher 50s by the end and humid), but the full wasn't so bad (40s at the start and humid).  I lived in Atlanta, so I expected it.  I enjoyed it in spite of the 3 am bus ride to the start, but even in the A corral, there was a lot of bobbing and weaving around people and I was doing the Goofy and ran a very slow marathon (for me) since I stopped to get pictures taken on more than one occassion.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:You'll love the humidity and 60-70 degree temps in Orlando.  It's warmer there in January than in Houston.

Not me.

That sounds quite delightful coming in early January. Of couse, I remember Chris M ending up hypothermic after a particularly chilly Mousekathon a few years back, so it's anybody's guess.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Damn you Mark - I've got to commit to one of them don't I. What would your time goal be??????

You don't have to commit, of course, but do you really want me picking one for you? Wink

Though running with Michele would still be a highlight of the year. (No pressure!)

I was thinking more of you sweating off 10 pounds because you will have been training in the 30's, but running the race in the 50's-60's. 

In the non-winter months, Houston and Orlando are similar in humidity, but we are hotter in the dead of summer.  In the winter months, I think Houston has more opportunities for cold weather due to cold fronts not dying out before arriving.

Good thing that I don't have to worry about Michele having (or wanting) to run with me.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 pm

I was so miserable at Cowtown (Ft Worth) Feb '10 with the heat and humidity after training in the cold winter.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Sorry for the delay. Kind of a busy day, returning testers to Nike early (they kept causing weird aches and pains), then preparing to serenade a departing colleague at work who retired today after 40 years in the business. Got compliments on the songwriting. On the singing? Not so much. Smile

So, to this:

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Maybe we can pick one of those and target a 4:15 time. A time submission does help for corral placement and Disney is as crowded as they come.  The year I ran (2008), the half was warm (higher 50s by the end and humid), but the full wasn't so bad (40s at the start and humid).  I lived in Atlanta, so I expected it.  I enjoyed it in spite of the 3 am bus ride to the start, but even in the A corral, there was a lot of bobbing and weaving around people and I was doing the Goofy and ran a very slow marathon (for me) since I stopped to get pictures taken on more than one occassion.

Definite benefits for either race. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Thanks for the warning on Disney seeding, Michele. I can't imagine I'll be trying for a PR at WDW, but getting stuck in the mob would be problematic, nonetheless.

As far as racing with you, actually planning and training for and targeting a 4:15 time sounds pretty reasonable. Pushing as hard as possible on a race morning decision and dying partway through has proven to be not quite as effective at achieving marathon happiness as you'd think.  

ounce wrote:I was thinking more of you sweating off 10 pounds because you will have been training in the 30's, but running the race in the 50's-60's. 

In the non-winter months, Houston and Orlando are similar in humidity, but we are hotter in the dead of summer.  In the winter months, I think Houston has more opportunities for cold weather due to cold fronts not dying out before arriving.

Good thing that I don't have to worry about Michele having (or wanting) to run with me.

Yeah, that's a risk. I'll have to make sure to be well stocked on S-Caps or E-Caps, so I don't blow out all my electrolytes in the first 10 miles. I can also do some of my runs on the dreadmill. Or maybe run the race barefoot to benefit from the additional cooling running shoeless provides.  geek 

Julie wrote:I was so miserable at Cowtown (Ft Worth) Feb '10 with the heat and humidity after training in the cold winter.

I've tried to avoid spring races (like Eugene's previous end-of-April date) because I'd end up getting cooked in 60-degree weather. I felt like a vampire trapped in the middle of Death Valley.

One small benefit to the January race is that so much of it will be in the dark. At least it won't be blazing hot, though it'll most likely be quite muggy.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:43 pm

So, that thing I was talking about yesterday... one of my colleagues retired after 40 years in the business. He's also a musician - he has his own band, and he has crafted going-away songs for many folks as they leave The Columbian.

He's a great guy, and he deserved the best send-off ever. Alas, he had to settle for us.

Here's the video...

And if you want to read about it - and see the lyrics, read all about it here.

Enjoy!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Mark B wrote:
Yeah, that's a risk. I'll have to make sure to be well stocked on S-Caps or E-Caps, so I don't blow out all my electrolytes in the first 10 miles. I can also do some of my runs on the dreadmill. Or maybe run the race barefoot to benefit from the additional cooling running shoeless provides.  geek 

I would make sure you get Goofy to sweep the course ahead of you.   Rolling Eyes
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Low HR Run: 5.75 miles

Weather: Clear, cold, frosty. 26 degrees, with colder pockets. Gear: Altras, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (was a bit chilled). Fuel: Grape Nuts w/rice milk, coffee (didn't sit well), water during.

Headed over to Oregon this morning to do a run with my buddy near his place for a change. It was a bit of a drive, but I was rewarded with a beautiful view of Mount Hood in silhouette in the predawn light.

Ah, Mount Hood. Did I mention that this was registration day for the Mount Hood 50 today? It was due to open while I was out running, and was sure to sell out in a few hours. I've decided to save a rematch for another year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't conflicted over it.

We met up and headed over to rails-to-trails path that followed a creek as it made its way down toward the Clackamas River. It was the sort of wooded ravine where you'd expect a serial killer to dump bodies, so it was pretty in a sort of lonely, creepy way. Or maybe that was just my mood. I didn't get much sleep last night, my guts were bothering me, and I'm still sore from those #@&% testers -- feeling it most in the spot that gave me so much trouble at Mount Hood (Look! another MH50 reference!). My buddy brought his great dane, which is a good dog but weaved in front of me, throwing off my stride and keeping me twitchy and irritated.

Yeah, I must have been great company.

Anyway, I sort of grumped along, feeling moderately craptastic for the first couple of miles. At least my heart rate was low. Eventually, the soreness ebbed, my guts settled down and I warmed up a bit. Whew.

We hit the turnaround point and headed back - uphill, it turned out. The rail bed had sloped steadily downward on our outward leg. No wonder my HR was so low! It was a bit higher on the return trip. (Note the elevation track below. Ignore than 900ish number... it's about 150 feet from top to bottom.)

What Comes Next  - Page 7 Screen11

The run ended better than it started, which is good, though I think it'll take some miles to work out the kinks those testers put in my leg muscles. Well, I guess it's as good a point as any to reset things and start fresh.

Walked first 5, last 4 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129

Epilogue: Once I got back home, I checked the registration page for the Mount Hood 50. Only a couple of hours after it opened, there was ONE spot left. I thought about it... then went and made breakfast. When I got back, it was sold out.

Well, maybe I'll think about volunteering there this year. That'd be fun.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Note to self:  Mark can be moody, in a serial killer sort of way.  BE CAREFUL if you run in the woods with him.

Uh, nice story, Mark.  You could name your next blog "Serial Runner" or "Rynning with no witnesses".  

There's always the waiting list, again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:03 pm

ounce wrote:Note to self:  Mark can be moody, in a serial killer sort of way.  BE CAREFUL if you run in the woods with him.

Uh, nice story, Mark.  You could name your next blog "Serial Runner" or "Rynning with no witnesses".  

So, when were you heading this way, Ounce? I'm thinking of growing fava beans this year.  Shocked 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 pm

I'll bring the Chianti!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 am

I will never say running in 26 degree is rewarding ...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm

ounce wrote:I'll bring the Chianti!

How did I know you'd get the reference? Very Happy

Jerry wrote:I will never say running in 26 degree is rewarding ...

Oh, now, Jerry. It really wasn't that bad. I could have used another layer up top, and I noticed when the temperature got colder in a few places when I felt it nipping the top of my ears. The "craptastic" feeling was more body-oriented (lack of sleep, stressful week) than weather-related.

Besides, 26 is positively balmy compared with the 12 degrees I ran in last month. And that is tropical next to what Tim & Wendy are running in this morning. I checked the temperature in Bedford, Indiana, and it was -11° - with a wind chill factor of -33°. Wow.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go out and run in those conditions (just to say I'd done it), but I'm grateful that I don't have to. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Oh, and I forgot to do this yesterday. Here's a view of the rails-to-trails path we took yesterday.

What Comes Next  - Page 7 14965210

It was essentially a well-packed one-lane gravel road, without the ruts from passing cars. I think it'd be a major challenge to try barefoot, but for what I was wearing, it was fine.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Mt. Hood is beautiful - been standing there and done that a few times (HTC relay).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Note to self:  Mark can be moody, in a serial killer sort of way.  BE CAREFUL if you run in the woods with him.

So, when were you heading this way, Ounce? I'm thinking of growing fava beans this year.  Shocked 
HaHa still LOL!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Mark let me know if you are going to do the Goofy thing for sure in 2015. Lisa and I was were thinking about doing Disney next year also. I was going to sign-up for the Goofy and I think Lisa was going to do the marathon.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Schuey wrote:Mark let me know if you are going to do the Goofy thing for sure in 2015. Lisa and I was were thinking about doing Disney next year also. I was going to sign-up for the Goofy and I think Lisa was going to do the marathon.

Mark looks forward to sweating like a pig for the race to get that good Florida cleansing.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy and chilly. 38 degrees, with lingering frost in spots. Gear: Bare feet, tights, T, pullover, knit hat, gloves. Fuel: Chocolate PB and Grape Nuts snack before. Nothing during.

Now that my testing obligations are over, its time to reset the system. I went out barefoot for an easy three miles through the neighborhood. It'd warmed above freezing by the time I went out, but puddles were still frozen and there were patches of frost around.

I strategically overdressed, in the notion that my body would shunt its excess heat down to my feet, and it worked well. The first couple of laps around the block were a little uncomfortable -- especially where frost-covered pavement had recently melted but not dried off -- but the dry sections were fine and I warmed up pretty quickly.

My goal was to remember how to relax and ease into the run, and I caught myself tensing up a few times, which shows my body at least remembers what it's like to be relaxed and running. My HR was a little higher than I'd like and my pace was slower, but both held pretty steady throughout the run. That's good. Besides. it's been a while since I've been able to run barefoot. It'll come back.

Average HR for entire run: 140 (no walking warmup or cool down)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Mt. Hood is beautiful - been standing there and done that a few times (HTC relay).

Mount Hood is one of my more favorite places. I just love the High Cascades. I'd like to do HTC someday, too. It's gotten a little crowded in recent years, but it'd still be fun.

Schuey wrote:
Mark B wrote:

HaHa still LOL!!!

Very Happy

Schuey wrote:Mark let me know if you are going to do the Goofy thing for sure in 2015. Lisa and I was were thinking about doing Disney next year also. I was going to sign-up for the Goofy and I think Lisa was going to do the marathon.

That'd be great, Schuey! I think there's a 99% chance that I'll be there in 2015. We've already started saving up for it.

ounce wrote:Mark looks forward to sweating like a pig for the race to get that good Florida cleansing.  pig 

Mmm. Sweaty piggies. Almost makes me want to try it with bare piggies. Would that still be Goofy? Or something more?

Joking aside, I wonder if a year's enough time to adapt to barefooting enough to be able to pull something like that off? Hm...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Mark B wrote:
Joking aside, I wonder if a year's enough time to adapt to barefooting enough to be able to pull something like that off? Hm...
I haven't been there since 1997, but I believe there was pea-size rock in the sidewalks and bricks.  It's possible I'm way off and that you will want to consult with others who have run that race, of which there are thousands
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:29 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
I haven't been there since 1997, but I believe there was pea-size rock in the sidewalks and bricks.  It's possible I'm way off and that you will want to consult with others who have run that race, of which there are thousands

That might make it a bit more challenging, to be sure. I'll have to do my homework.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I found this short blurb on Al Gore's invention  http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/disney-world-half.6265/

I'm sure there are more.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 pm

That picture of the running trail looked really nice. My running trails all look the same - cement and asphalt. Also, very nice job on the song, that was really good.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 pm

ounce wrote:I found this short blurb on Al Gore's invention  http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/disney-world-half.6265/

I'm sure there are more.

That makes it seem less the minefield that you described. That's promising!

JohnP wrote:That picture of the running trail looked really nice. My running trails all look the same - cement and asphalt. Also, very nice job on the song, that was really good.

Thanks, John. There's plenty of cement and asphalt running options around here, too. I just don't take pictures of it. Smile

Coming up with that song was a lot of fun -- I'm not sure if I was channeling my inner Don McLean or Weird Al -- and it seemed pretty popular with the group and the guest of honor. I do note, however, that the compliments we received were reserved almost exclusively (and understandably) for the songwriting, not the song singing. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum