365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

+19
Penelope
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
KBFitz
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Dave-O
mul21
Chris M
dot520
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
Mark B
nkrichards
Nick Morris
23 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 6 Empty Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 pm

08.01.13 -

5 miles...Run number two of the day and the second double of the week.  I didn't know how my legs were going to react to this evening's run and I surely didn't think they would react the way that they did.  My legs just wanted to go and since I have an off day tomorrow, I decided to let them go to a certain point.  It ended up being one of the better runs of my training cycle, so far.  I completed 5.29 miles at a 7:31 pace with negative splits for the entire run...Man that felt good!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 6 Empty Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Nick Morris wrote:08.01.13 -

5 miles...Run number two of the day and the second double of the week.  I didn't know how my legs were going to react to this evening's run and I surely didn't think they would react the way that they did.  My legs just wanted to go and since I have an off day tomorrow, I decided to let them go to a certain point.  It ended up being one of the better runs of my training cycle, so far.  I completed 5.29 miles at a 7:31 pace with negative splits for the entire run...Man that felt good!!

Awesome! Now, enjoy that rest day. You've earned it. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:08.01.13 -

Awesome! Now, enjoy that rest day. You've earned it. Smile

Thanks!!!  I plan on it Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

I forgot to mention that I got to break in another new pair of training shoes yesterday.  I got the new summer color of the Mizuno Wave Elixir 8s.  This is my third and last pair of training shoes that I will have in rotation.  I think that having fresh shoes (sorry Mark) is one of the key factors to staying healthy during a training cycle.  Especially when putting in high weekly mileage.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:45 pm

08.02.13 - 

Scheduled off day...Going to take advantage of this off day and just relax.  Then it is back to the mayhem tomorrow with an 8 mile run, a round of golf, and then a 5k fun run with my sister.  

My sister wanted me to run the Electric Run with her on Saturday night, so I agreed since I was on a step back week and she runs an 8:45 - 9:00 pace.  I am not even sure if this "race" is timed, but it takes place at 8:30 at night.  There are a ton of black lights and led lights that guide the way.  I think glow sticks are going to be a must for this...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Your post about getting new shoes reminded me to do that for myself.   I'm a big believer in not running on shoes too long and its always fun to get new ones.   Now, what kind to try.....hmmm.....you like these Mizunos, huh?  I've never worn a pair of Mizuno.  One of the few brands I've never gotten.  You recommend a particular model?  I like pretty generic neutral shoes, no "zero drop" or other minimilast stuff.  I like both light weight (under 10 oz) AND good cushioning which don't typically go together well.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Chris M wrote:Your post about getting new shoes reminded me to do that for myself.   I'm a big believer in not running on shoes too long and its always fun to get new ones.   Now, what kind to try.....hmmm.....you like these Mizunos, huh?  I've never worn a pair of Mizuno.  One of the few brands I've never gotten.  You recommend a particular model?  I like pretty generic neutral shoes, no "zero drop" or other minimilast stuff.  I like both light weight (under 10 oz) AND good cushioning which don't typically go together well.

I like the Mizuno Wave Elixir.  They are a light, but cushioned trainer, coming in at 9.0 oz. (size 9).  I also like their new trainer, the Mizuno Wave Sayonara.  This one is brand new this summer and replaces the Mizuno Wave Precision.  It comes in at an extremely light 7.9 oz. (size 9), but still has an unbelievable amount of cushioning.

The Elixir has a heal-toe drop of 12mm.  Where as the Sayonara has a drop of 10mm.  

They also have a number of light racing flats...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Chris M wrote:Your post about getting new shoes reminded me to do that for myself.   I'm a big believer in not running on shoes too long and its always fun to get new ones.   Now, what kind to try.....hmmm.....you like these Mizunos, huh?  I've never worn a pair of Mizuno.  One of the few brands I've never gotten.  You recommend a particular model?  I like pretty generic neutral shoes, no "zero drop" or other minimilast stuff.  I like both light weight (under 10 oz) AND good cushioning which don't typically go together well.

I've worn several versions of the Elixir and thought they were a good shoe but it's definitely a stiffer ride than many shoes out there.  It took some getting used to but I did like them.  I'm wearing the New Balance 890 right now with 2 pairs in rotation to go along with a discontinued Mizuno model and some Brooks T7s and Mizuno Ronins for speed work.  I like the 890s a lot, very cushioned, pretty light and I've had no issues with blisters.  They're also a neutral shoe.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

I like the Mizuno Wave Elixir.  They are a light, but cushioned trainer, coming in at 9.0 oz. (size 9).  I also like their new trainer, the Mizuno Wave Sayonara.  This one is brand new this summer and replaces the Mizuno Wave Precision.  It comes in at an extremely light 7.9 oz. (size 9), but still has an unbelievable amount of cushioning.

The Elixir has a heal-toe drop of 12mm.  Where as the Sayonara has a drop of 10mm.  

Whoa, I just read like 4 reviews for the Wave Sayonara and that seems PERFECT for me.  Frankly, it sounds very much like the Brooks Launch I train in very often but even lighter.  I'm definitely pulling the trigger and buying a pair.  Based on the reviews and specs, this seems like an ideal shoe for me.  THANKS!  I'll let you know as soon as I get them and run in them.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Chris M wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Whoa, I just read like 4 reviews for the Wave Sayonara and that seems PERFECT for me.  Frankly, it sounds very much like the Brooks Launch I train in very often but even lighter.  I'm definitely pulling the trigger and buying a pair.  Based on the reviews and specs, this seems like an ideal shoe for me.  THANKS!  I'll let you know as soon as I get them and run in them.

I like the Sayonara...Good choice Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Alright Nick going forward I will being paying much more attention to your training and blog. So, to kick things off you are really a big Mizuho fan! That's awesome have you had a chance to join their mezamashii project of theirs?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Schuey wrote:Alright Nick going forward I will being paying much more attention to your training and blog. So, to kick things off you are really a big Mizuho fan! That's awesome have you had a chance to join their mezamashii project of theirs?

Yes, I am a big fan of Mizuno.  For the longest time I had tried different shoes and shoe brands.  Each time trying to find that shoe that just fits my foot.  That's when I cam along the Mizuno Precisions.  I ended up running my first marathon in those shoes and have been in Mizunos ever since. 

They actually make some decent winter gear and I have quite a bit of it for my winter running.

Yes, I have joined the Mezamashii Project recently, but have not had the chance to test any shoes yet.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:37 pm

08.03.13 -

8 miles...Got in another good run this morning.  Up bright and early for 8 miles.  Not much to say about the run.  Just that it was a good run.  I started out really early, due to an 8:30 tee time.  I ended up completing 8.36 at a 7:42 pace.  A pretty easy 7:42 at that.

Golf was alright.  Had my ups and downs.  Didn't shoot too bad overall though.  like anything, you get more consistent with practice Smile

My sister is in town for the Electric Run tonight.  I will be running that with her to actually mark my third double of the week.  Although at an 8:45-9:00 pace, it will be more like a recovery run.

Step back 12er tomorrow, before heading off to Denver on Monday.

Last edited by Nick Morris on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 am

08.03.13 -

5K Electric Run...With the sister in town for the Electric Run and wanting me to run with her and her friend, I ended up with my third double of the week.  Albeit this run was a lot slower...As far as the run, of course it wasn't timed, there was a shit ton of people, and a lot of walkers.  So, you can imagine how much fun I had.  It was ok, but would be more fun if they could somehow separate the runners from the walkers.  There was a lot of zig sagging around people...It is what it is...A somewhat organized run that pretty much anyone could do...  the amount of people and zig zagging caused the pace to be slower than expected.  We finished the 3.10 miles with a 9:30 pace...

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 6 969383_10152465762114386_1258586262_n

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 6 563026_10152465825804386_2002222961_n
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:44 am

08.04.13 -

12 miles...Tough run this morning after a good week of running.  After jogging the 5k last night and logging 11+ miles for the day, I turned around 5 1/2 hours later for this morning's run.  I woke up and my legs already felt like crap, so I knew that it was going to be fun.  Started out on my way and was confirmed that the ole legs weren't going to go for me today.  So, I slowed it way down and just focused on getting in the miles.  I ended up finishing 12.24 miles at a slow 8:17 pace.  Still, I had a good step back week, so pace is not what I was aiming for anyways.  Now it is time to rest up the legs today and getting ready to head out to Denver for the week tomorrow.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Not much of a step back week there buddy!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

mul21 wrote:Not much of a step back week there buddy!

HAHA...I know...more of a low pace week...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:57 am

08.05.13 -

So, I am rearranging this weeks schedule a bit with my work travel this week.  With work travel, I never know how much time I will have for running.  So, I wanted to get in some running before I head to the airport this morning.  That being said, I headed out for a 6 miler on a cool rainy morning.  My legs had good life in them and didn't show any affects of last weeks "slow pace" week.  I motored along, clipping off mile after mile...completing 6.26 miles at a 7:39 pace.  We'll see if I have some time when I get to Denver this afternoon to get in a couple more miles.

Well, time to pack and head to the airport....Some training miles at elevation await Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 am

08.06.13 - 

Up early this morning for a run before my meetings start.  Since they start at 7:30, I only had enough time to get in about a 50 minute run.  I figured that was at least 6 miles, so I set out for the Cherry Creek Trail.  It was about a half a mile from my hotel.  Once I hit the trail I headed south for another 2.5 miles before turning around and heading back to the hotel.  Overall, I got in 6.20 miles at a 7:36 pace.  The good thing is that my average heart rate was 140 for the run.  Which means that the elevation didn't really have an affect on my heart rate.  I will post comparison charts for comparable runs between Madison and Denver tonight, when I have more time.  But for now it is off to get ready for my meetings.  Enjoy the day!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 am

08.07.13 - 

Another day in Denver, another 6 mile run.  Pretty much the same run as yesterday.  The one thing that I noticed is that none of the runners here even acknowledge any of the other runners on the path.  Yesterday, I would smile and wave at every runner that I passed and they would just keep looking straight as if I wasn't there.  I did finally get a guy to wave back, but it was the second time that I had seen him and I practically broke my arm waving at him.  I was thinking this may be a fluke, but it was the same this morning.  It is weird, because everyone else that I have encountered here has been really friendly.  Denver must have just have running snobs (lol) Smile

I ended up completing 6.34 miles at a 7:41 pace.  My heart rate averaged 141...

On a side note, I got to meet up with Chas last night.  Some of you may remember her from the V-Team boards.  Her and Tim are doing well and she actually talked about coming back the boards on to say hi to everyone.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Nick Morris wrote:08.07.13 - 

Another day in Denver, another 6 mile run.  Pretty much the same run as yesterday.  The one thing that I noticed is that none of the runners here even acknowledge any of the other runners on the path.  Yesterday, I would smile and wave at every runner that I passed and they would just keep looking straight as if I wasn't there.  I did finally get a guy to wave back, but it was the second time that I had seen him and I practically broke my arm waving at him.  I was thinking this may be a fluke, but it was the same this morning.  It is weird, because everyone else that I have encountered here has been really friendly.  Denver must have just have running snobs (lol) Smile

On a side note, I got to meet up with Chas last night.  Some of you may remember her from the V-Team boards.  Her and Tim are doing well and she actually talked about coming back the boards on to say hi to everyone.

This cracked me up.  You are such a Midwesterner!   Come run on the East Coast and the MOST you will ever get is a head nod or the two finger point/wave thing.  A smile?  An actually wave?  No chance that happens around here.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Chris M wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:08.07.13 - 

This cracked me up.  You are such a Midwesterner!   Come run on the East Coast and the MOST you will ever get is a head nod or the two finger point/wave thing.  A smile?  An actually wave?  No chance that happens around here.
It actually freaked me out a bit that everyone waves or acknowledges you in Cleveland when you are running, walking, biking on the all purpose trail.  Not like that in the ATL or in New England that is for sure.  I tend to acknowledge runners after seeing them day after day, but not on just an anonymous run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

OMG, in Connecticut there are SOOOOOO many people who would just completely ignore you. It's funny, but once they get familiar with you (people I see over and over again on the trail), it's a lot different (still, with some exceptions!). It's not so much that they're snobs, it's just that they seem to think it's offensive to acknowledge one another prior to a formal introduction!

I lived the first 35 years of my life in Chicago, and it was a big adjustment when we moved here in '92. I'd say "hi" to people I didn't know in the elevator in the morning, and it was like I had leprosy.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Michael Enright wrote:OMG, in Connecticut there are SOOOOOO many people who would just completely ignore you. It's funny, but once they get familiar with you (people I see over and over again on the trail), it's a lot different (still, with some exceptions!). It's not so much that they're snobs, it's just that they seem to think it's offensive to acknowledge one another prior to a formal introduction!

I lived the first 35 years of my life in Chicago, and it was a big adjustment when we moved here in '92. I'd say "hi" to people I didn't know in the elevator in the morning, and it was like I had leprosy.

This whole topic cracks me up because I grew up as a New Englander where that kind of reserve is the norm and waiving or saying "HI!" to a complete stranger is kind of freaky.  Now I live in DC which is such a hodge podge of people from different areas that its a little more friendly and you'll have the transplanted Midwesterners striking up conversations randomly in the elevator or saying hi and waiving to people they see running.  But actually being out in a place like Chicago or Milwaukee is completely insane to me where everyone seemingly has taken that weird "Friendly Drug" and has no compunction at all about trying to strike up a connection with completely unknown people.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Chris M wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:OMG, in Connecticut there are SOOOOOO many people who would just completely ignore you. It's funny, but once they get familiar with you (people I see over and over again on the trail), it's a lot different (still, with some exceptions!). It's not so much that they're snobs, it's just that they seem to think it's offensive to acknowledge one another prior to a formal introduction!

This whole topic cracks me up because I grew up as a New Englander where that kind of reserve is the norm and waiving or saying "HI!" to a complete stranger is kind of freaky.  Now I live in DC which is such a hodge podge of people from different areas that its a little more friendly and you'll have the transplanted Midwesterners striking up conversations randomly in the elevator or saying hi and waiving to people they see running.  But actually being out in a place like Chicago or Milwaukee is completely insane to me where everyone seemingly has taken that weird "Friendly Drug" and has no compunction at all about trying to strike up a connection with completely unknown people.

HAHA...Ya'll are cracking me up.  Honestly, I have been to Denver several times and have found that the people here are really nice, but this is the first time that I have ran while visiting.  I guess the people are nice, but the runners are "focused" Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next