365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

+19
Penelope
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
KBFitz
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Dave-O
mul21
Chris M
dot520
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
Mark B
nkrichards
Nick Morris
23 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 5 Empty Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm

mul21 wrote:Be a man, take a shot of whiskey with some honey in it, and quit yer whining!  Razz

Seriously, a little whiskey or scotch warmed just a little with some honey in it does work wonders for loosening up crap in your chest.  I know you abstain from alcohol while training, but I think you might be surprised at how well this works.  My GF didn't believe me until she tried it last fall and felt like a million bucks the next day.

Actually, I hadn't abstained from drinking for the first three weeks or so of my program.  It is just recently that I have given it up for the training cycle.  Although, I don't normally drink that often, so it is not that big of a deal for me.  Maybe I'll try the whiskey thing.  I do like whiskey Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon - Page 5 Empty Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Notice any affects of the iron yet?  I can usually tell a day or so after I start back as it will lift my energy level that much.  Of course, I know that I am used to what the feeling is, so I can tell.  Hope you get rid of that cough - an early night just might do the trick!

I just started using it this week and since I have been sick, I am not sure how much it has helped.  Hopefully next week will be better and I will be able to take notice more.  Thanks!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 am

07.27.13 -

8 miles fartlek...My favorite type of training run this morning...the fartlek.  I woke up this morning feeling the best that I have all week.  I still have the cough, but for the first time this week, I did not have to hack up a lung when I woke up.  8 miles the length of this morning's fartlek.  I started out with a good warm up mile at an 8:30 pace.  From there the fun began for another 6 miles.  Then I finished with a nice cool down mile at an 8:20 pace.  Overall, I completed 8.36 miles at a 7:45 pace.  I love how fartleks break up the monotony that is the training run.  It's a fun way to get in some speed work and still cover some distance.

On a side note, it was 61 degrees at 6:30 when I started this morning.  A little over an hour later when I finished, the temperature dropped to 55.  It's kinda weird, but I guess I won't complain...18 miles tomorrow...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:10 pm

I got my hotel rooms booked for November today.  I am flying into Buffalo on Friday and staying up into Ontario near the start/finish line on Friday and Saturday.  Then on Sunday, sometime after the race, I will head back to Buffalo and stay near the airport for my flight on Monday morning.  One last thing to book and that is the rental car.  I'll get that booked within the next month or so.  No rush on that.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:48 am

07.28.13 -

18 miles...Pretty much a carbon copy of yesterdays weather, as we had a fall like weekend.  53 degrees at the start of my run with overcast skies and winds out of the north/northwest at 10-15 mph.  The wind actually worked out well, because it was mostly in my face or a cross wind that kept my core temp cool.  I got the luxury to run with a couple of running friends this morning.  They are a married couple that is actually running Hamilton with me.  The husband is using my training schedule, so he did the 18 with me.  The wife is on a little different schedule and she only had 10 miles to do, so she ran the first 5 miles with us before she turned around and headed back.  Running the first 5 with her, we averaged 8:30 per mile.  Which in hindsight, really helped us in the end.  Us guys, then continued on our way.  We GUed up at the halfway point and headed on our way back home.  With about 3 1/2 miles to go, I started to feel my right calf tighten up.  Nothing to major, just a little bit of tightness, so I didn't let it faze me too much.  I was just happy that we got lucky with our timing at all of the intersection and didn't have to stop.  We ended up completing 18.40 miles at an8:11 average pace.  So we did a good job of cutting down the 8:30 pace after 5 miles.  A nice low average heart rate of 134 for the run and I can tell that my lungs/wind is really there.  I just need to get my legs used to the pounding.  That will come with training.  I mean I did just complete Week 5 of 19...Step back week next week, before I have my first 20 miler.

Total for the week - 42.5 miles
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Good job capitalizing on the conditions and the situation. Your comment about the intersections was interesting to me. On my run today, I crossed 3 roads (twice each) in 12 miles. I did have to slow down at one of them to time the crossing with what little traffic there was!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I hear you on the weather, it was amazing for July!

I'm with you on the effort of the runs, no problem aerobically, but getting the legs used to the pounding again has been the only issue for me.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Good job capitalizing on the conditions and the situation. Your comment about the intersections was interesting to me. On my run today, I crossed 3 roads (twice each) in 12 miles. I did have to slow down at one of them to time the crossing with what little traffic there was!

Thanks...I have a 2 mile run on city streets before I get to the bike trail.  But even the bike trail cuts across quite a few streets.  It was amazing that I only had to stop at one intersection along the whole out and back.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:11 pm

mul21 wrote:I hear you on the weather, it was amazing for July!

I'm with you on the effort of the runs, no problem aerobically, but getting the legs used to the pounding again has been the only issue for me.

The legs will come...that is why we train Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 am

07.29.13 - 

Cross-training...Hit up the gym for some weight training before heading to the park for our softball league championship game.  Unfortunately for the third year in a row we have come up just short and finished second...again.  With softball complete, my Mondays will now turn into recovery runs.

My first double of the cycle starts tomorrow morning...4 miles in the morning and 5 in the evening.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 am

Sounds like training is going well Nick.

I see you booked your hotel...where are you staying?  I'm in Best Western.

I also noticed you have a couple friends running with you.  Should be fun.  What times are they aiming for?  Will you be able to run the race together?

Glad to see training is going well...sorry about the softball. pale
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:21 am

nkrichards wrote:Sounds like training is going well Nick.

I see you booked your hotel...where are you staying?  I'm in Best Western.

I also noticed you have a couple friends running with you.  Should be fun.  What times are they aiming for?  Will you be able to run the race together?

Glad to see training is going well...sorry about the softball. pale

I am staying where I stayed last year in Grimsby, On.  It is about 2 1/2 miles south of the finish line.  Seemed to work well, so I didn't change. 

The woman running with is looking to run 3:45:00ish and the guy Should be able to run with me for the first 15 or so miles.  I would expect him to run a 3:15:000 or so.

With the revision to the course by taking out the loop at the lake, it should make for a faster course, IMO.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 am

07.30.13 -

4 miles...The first of two runs today is complete.  A nice and easy 4 miles this morning, as I kept reminding myself that the pace needs to be slower.  It's more about putting in the time than worrying about pace.  I got in 4.26 miles at an 8:07 pace.  Another 5 miles scheduled for after work.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 am

I just looked at my schedule and realized that I have 49 miles on the docket for this week.  Is it really a step back week if you run the highest weekly mileage of the training cycle?  Smile 

My answer is sure, because most of these miles are easy miles, meaning not a lot of effort and just time on the legs.  Plus, my longest run is only 12 miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am

Nice 18 the other day.  I am going to try something similar with a slower start this upcoming weekend and then see if that keeps me more fresh for the back half of the run.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Chris M wrote:Nice 18 the other day.  I am going to try something similar with a slower start this upcoming weekend and then see if that keeps me more fresh for the back half of the run.

Thanks!!  I didn't really plan it out that way, but it worked out in the end.  Once I get a couple 20s under my belt this cycle, I think that a consistent pace in the 7:50s will be pretty easy. 

Good luck with your long runs...Things will come together for you.  I know it!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 pm

07.30.13 -

5 miles...Run number two of the day after my 4 miles this morning.  Nothing like the first double of a cycle to let you that you are in training Smile  Took it even easier than this morning, as I don't want to tax the legs.  It was humid, but cool this evening.  So I worked up a good sweat over the 5 miles.  I ended up completing 5.30 miles at an 8.10 pace.  Mid-week kind of long run tomorrow, then another double on Thursday. YAY!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:44 pm

So, it looks as though I will get to add some training at elevation next week.  I will be in Denver next Monday through Thursday for work.  I think that I have a plan set up to get in my training runs.  I am staying in the Business Center of downtown and am only about 4 blocks from the Cherry Creek Trail.  I have been told that it is a great trail to run along, so I am excited.  

I have ran in Colorado a couple of times, but each of those experiences were Fort Collins.  This is my first time running in Denver.  I believe that they are relatively the same from an elevation standpoint (5,000-5,200 feet above sea level).  It is definitely a far stretch from the 1,000-1,200 feet that I normally run at.

I like taking my heart rate monitor with me, to see how the elevation affects me.  The first time that I ran in Fort Collins, I did not notice that much of a rise in my average heart rate.  But, the second time I was in Fort Collins I did notice a spike in my average heart rate.  I think it had a lot to do with me having a higher fitness level the first time compared to the second.  If anything, this time will be a good test to gauge what my fitness level currently is at.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Have fun in Denver! Well, as much fun as you can have while working, anyway.

Getting HR data will be interesting. The different elevation ought to make for a neat little spike. Also, it's going to be a LOT less humid than what you're used to. Enjoy the glory of the dry summers of the West, but don't forget to hydrate!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:50 pm

I've run on the Cherry Creek Trail - nice place to run - please say hello to the homeless people under the bridges for me!

I live at 130 feet above sea level, so noticed the difference at least a little, but not that much.

Denver's a great town (though it is absurdly difficult to get downtown from the airport) - Enjoy!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

07.31.13 -

8 miles...Ended the month of July with an 8 miler.  I didn't want to push things too hard with my second double of the week scheduled for tomorrow.  So I just put the work in...Completed 8.52 miles at a 7:58 pace.  It will be interesting to see how I respond tomorrow morning.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 am

08.01.13 -

4 miles...The first run of my second double of the week.  My legs reacted surprising well this morning.  I was afraid that I would be sluggish, but found it to be the opposite.  I found my self having to dial it down quite a few times.  Maybe all of the really easy running this week actually let my legs rest up a bit.  We'll see, though, as I have another run after work.  I completed 4.28 miles at a 7:55 pace.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 am

18 summertime miles with a HR of 134 and close to an 8 minute mile pace is very impressive!!!  I quit wearing the HR monitor but I know these hot runs beat me down pretty well.  Your training is kicking it!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

Nicely done, Nick! Those recovery runs seem to be really paying off for you. Keep it up!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:18 summertime miles with a HR of 134 and close to an 8 minute mile pace is very impressive!!!  I quit wearing the HR monitor but I know these hot runs beat me down pretty well.  Your training is kicking it!

Thanks!!  I still got some lbs. to come off too.  Hoping to fly this fall Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next