365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

+28
Seth Harrison
Bob
StevenT42
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
fostever
nkrichards
mountandog
kath
Mark B
carleenp
Penelope
Mike MacLellan
Julio
dot520
Dave Wolfe
Ben Z
ssilvert
Dave-O
Martin VW
healdgator
Scott C
Julie
Michael Mitchell
mul21
ounce
Jerry
Nick Morris
32 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

ounce wrote:All major broadcast networks have broken into normal programming.

I saw a video showing smoke just before the finish line. The time clock was at 4:09:51, according to the hand held video. Lots of stretchers, but no reports of number of casualties, but there are casualties.

2 explosions on Boylston.

Yeah, the huffintonpost has the link to the video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

healdgator wrote:Not familiar with Boston at all, were these explosions literally at the finish line?

I wonder how/where they are routing the runners still on the course?

Yes, the one explosion was right near the finish line...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

ounce wrote:All major broadcast networks have broken into normal programming.

I saw a video showing smoke just before the finish line. The time clock was at 4:09:51, according to the hand held video. Lots of stretchers, but no reports of number of casualties, but there are casualties.

2 explosions on Boylston.

This is not good. The picture clearly shows folks finishing....sigh...Why? Why? A great day marked by this...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBH6fwFvCUAA-PWb.jpg
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I can't find any word on whether this was an accidental explosion or if it was planned.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

4 people treated at Mass General, so far, according to ABC.

Clock time at time of explosion was 4:09:44. Second explosion happened less than a minute after the first. It happened about 30 feet from the finish line on the left side of the street, as the runners head to the finish line.

One runner apparently was hit by schrapnel, if not, he was knocked to the ground.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I think it may be too early to answer that one......
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

The first explosion happened in front of a business called "The Forum".
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I can't find any word on whether this was an accidental explosion or if it was planned.

Probably way too early to make any announcements, but two explosions in this location at this time points to a particular answer.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f72/16/59/04/32/untitl10.jpg
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Between Dartmouth and Exeter on Boylston.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 pm

healdgator wrote:Not familiar with Boston at all, were these explosions literally at the finish line?

Stands are intact, so it seems it was a bit further up Boylston. Reports are that it was in a spectator area, not in a place where runners were hurt.

They would reroute runners up Comm(onwealth) Ave, instead of having them turn onto Hereford St., Probably finish near Boston Common.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Martin VW wrote:

Stands are intact, so it seems it was a bit further up Boylston. Reports are that it was in a spectator area, not in a place where runners were hurt.

Not sure if this is better or worse. Probably no answer to that question. Just imagining nearing the finish line in agony, only to have to summon the energy to try to track down your spectating family.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Martin VW wrote:

They would reroute runners up Comm(onwealth) Ave, instead of having them turn onto Hereford St., Probably finish near Boston Common.

Looks like it was a building off of Boylston near the finish.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Martin VW wrote:

Opposite of the stands...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:48 pm

ounce wrote:Between Dartmouth and Exeter on Boylston.

Streets are alphabetical, you turn up Hereford, then comes Gloucester, Fairfield, Exeter. Finish is at Dartmouth.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Live stream on ABC...

http://abcnews.go.com/Live/

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Martin VW wrote:

Opposite of the stands...

Yes, stands are on Right hand side.

I'd estimate 12,000 runners got rerouted, based on the clock time when the bomb went off. Pretty much the entire 2nd and 3rd waves.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-201_162-1950/cbs-news-live-video/

Video of the two explosions. Interesting that it is on the opposite side from the stands. Maybe that points to an accident/"good fortune"?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Sounds like the Marathon Sports store (either in or outside) on the left hand side of the street as you are running towards the finish line.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

It occurred about 30 feet from the finish line in front of a business on Boylston called "The Forum" http://forumboston.com/
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

This is surreal. Praying for everyone, especially all V-Teamers, 365ers, etc in Boston right now.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Two casualties as of now...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm

healdgator wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-201_162-1950/cbs-news-live-video/

Video of the two explosions. Interesting that it is on the opposite side from the stands. Maybe that points to an accident/"good fortune"?

It COULD be a gas explosion. Let's hope, as that would mean they weren't targeting the event.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I so hope that everyone is ok...We had a group of 365s finishing around that time...ugh...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next