365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

+28
Seth Harrison
Bob
StevenT42
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
fostever
nkrichards
mountandog
kath
Mark B
carleenp
Penelope
Mike MacLellan
Julio
dot520
Dave Wolfe
Ben Z
ssilvert
Dave-O
Martin VW
healdgator
Scott C
Julie
Michael Mitchell
mul21
ounce
Jerry
Nick Morris
32 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

4 bombs in total, so far. 2 exploded at the Marathon, 1 exploded at the JFK Library (with no casulaties) and 1 was a controlled explosion at the marathon according to the BPD Commissioner.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Ok, I just text Michael. They finished way earlier, I wouldn't worry about.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm

ounce wrote:4 bombs in total, so far. 2 exploded at the Marathon, 1 exploded at the JFK Library (with no casulaties) and 1 was a controlled explosion at the marathon according to the BPD Commissioner.

Horrible...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
ounce wrote:With me being part auditor, I haven't seen (or don't remember seeing) reports on the following people:

Chelsea Young, Michael Young, John Pirog, Kathy Olney, Seth and Fostever.

If you can confirm they are safe, then that would be great.

BPD Press conference is in progress.

Per their Facebook pages, Seth and John P are safe.

Chelsea and Michael finished at 3 hours. Kathy finished before Vivian, JohnP, Seth and Michele.

Hopefully they were all away from the finish area celebrating...

It's not an area where finishers would congregate. After you finish you have to walk several blocks to get your medal, Cape of Awesomeness, etc., and then turn right and go several more blocks to get your checked bag.

Family Meeting Area is also several blocks away.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Just reported on CBS Boston that all cell service in downtown Boston has been cut off to prevent the possibility of a remote detonation.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:05 pm

mul21 wrote:Just reported on CBS Boston that all cell service in downtown Boston has been cut off to prevent the possibility of a remote detonation.

Under other circumstances, there would be an AT&T joke in there.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Jerry wrote:Ok, I just text Michael. They finished way earlier, I wouldn't worry about.

Yeah, the faster folks finhsed way before this. A friend of mine ran a 3:15 and he was already home when this happened.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Fostever didn't list his phone, but he finished way earlier.

Horrible day!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm so glad to hear that everyone here that was there is not injured--well, at least physically. I can't imagine the emotional trauma.

This is just so disgusting and heartbreaking and demoralizing.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm

healdgator wrote:
mul21 wrote:Just reported on CBS Boston that all cell service in downtown Boston has been cut off to prevent the possibility of a remote detonation.

Under other circumstances, there would be an AT&T joke in there.

Yes there would, but this is not one of those times...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Checking in to see if everyone is OK. Reading back it looks like everyone from here is accounted for? I'm still waiting to hear about a local runner/friend who was there with her daughter.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julio Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 pm

The JFK library is reporting that they had an electrical fire, unrelated to any sort of bomb...
Julio
Julio

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Julio wrote:The JFK library is reporting that they had an electrical fire, unrelated to any sort of bomb...

I guess we'll have to allow the Commishioner 1 mistake.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

There's going to be a lot of confused/conflicting information for a while. Very glad to hear all our friends and their families are safe and well.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

carleenp wrote:Checking in to see if everyone is OK. Reading back it looks like everyone from here is accounted for? I'm still waiting to hear about a local runner/friend who was there with her daughter.

Haven't had confirmation that Katherine Olney is safe and well, but she finished +/- 3 minutes of 4 other people.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  kath Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 pm

I am okay. I had just crossed the finish line and walked a little ways when the explosions happened. It was terrifying because my family (husband, son and brother) had watched me go by on Boylston, near the corner of Hereford. It was hard for me to judge how far down the explosion was, and I didn't know if they had left their spot and started walking toward the finish area. People on the sidewalks started to run towards me, and I stayed there for a few minutes, searching for them in the crowd. Then emergency vehicles started coming through and race officials were trying to clear people out, so I continued walking through the chute until I got to Berkeley St, where the checked bag buses are parked. I asked a spectator if I could use his cellphone and to my relief contacted my brother. It turned out they were about a block and half west of the explosion, but had made their way to Berkeley St, so we were soon reunited. We walked back to the car, which was parked over near the Common, and got the hell out of there.

I am a bit shaken up, thinking what might have happened if I had been a few minutes slower (and I was slowing considerably in the last few miles), or, god forbid, if my family had found a spot a little further up the street. My son is going on 10 years old and I'm not sure he appreciates how close a call that was.

kath

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Chelsea, Trevor my sis Jill ll safe. Sorry posted new thread before I saw this. Steve, Jerry thanks for the calls. Texts didn't make it thru.

Michael
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Thanks for checking in, Kath. And gratz on what looked like a good execution. 2 hours on first half and 2:06 on the 2nd.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm

mountandog wrote:Chelsea, Trevor my sis Jill ll safe. Sorry posted new thread before I saw this. Steve, Jerry thanks for the calls. Texts didn't make it thru.

Michael

Thanks.

All 10 of our runners are accounted for and safe.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Saw snipets of the race before I had to go to work. Just checked in to see how everyone did. Had no idea how the day had unfolded. Not what I was expecting to read!
Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound. Looks like everyone had good races but that is secondary to the safety of all.
My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I was waiting at the Hilton Back Bay lobby for John and the crew. Lot of speculation of course, maybe one of the injured may have been a suspect but no confirmation. Meet a family who ran in and were consoling their children who witnessed it. Their father was finishing at the exact time of explosion and he was rushed to the hospital with with glass in his feet and ear problems, but otherwise OK. His name was Dave Fortier or possibly (doug) if you are of the praying type send one up for them. They actually had just moved from the exact area of the blast. Also a guy who I rode with on my hotel shuttle was 100 yards from the finish and said he drop to the ground then just sprinted away. Crazy!!! Got out of the city on the orange T that was still open!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:25 pm

I haven't even read about what happened yet, been working all day and am just learning what has happened. I see that all 365ers are OK - what a senseless and evil thing to have happen. No words, just an awful thing. Congrats to the runners but more happy that everyone is OK.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm

As an FYI...Michele's sister did confirm on FB that Michele was ok. She was one tenth away from the finish when the blast went off.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Dave-O wrote:Clearest video, with sound, of the blast. Warning, its a little graphic.

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square/72926110

Man this looks so scary...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Glad people here are ok. This is beyond F'd up. Prayers to everyone there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next